Speciality Forums >> Astronomy Software & Computers

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Jon Isaacs
Postmaster

Reged: 06/16/04

Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA
Sky Safari 1.7.3 Android Available
      #5677362 - 02/13/13 10:23 AM

Just wanted to let people know... I am not sure what the improvements are, the info on the page is for 1.7.1

I guess it's more database refinements.

Jon

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
btschumy
Vendor - Simulation Curriculum

Reged: 04/13/04

Loc: Longmont, CO, USA
Re: Sky Safari 1.7.3 Android Available new [Re: Jon Isaacs]
      #5677377 - 02/13/13 10:32 AM

John,

The big improvement is our new Solar System integrator that allows us to correctly predict the paths of near Earth objects like 2012 DA14. I announced this in the vendors forum at:

Here

You can read about what's new in the Android version Here

Bill

Jon Isaacs
Postmaster

Re: Sky Safari 1.7.3 Android Available new [Re: btschumy]
      #5677403 - 02/13/13 10:47 AM

Quote:

John,

The big improvement is our new Solar System integrator that allows us to correctly predict the paths of near Earth objects like 2012 DA14. I announced this in the vendors forum at:

Here

You can read about what's new in the Android version Here

Bill

Thanks Bill.

Somehow I didn't find the info on your website. Looks great. I am impressed. The only thing wrong with Sky Safari is that there is no Windows version..

Maybe there's an Android emulator for Windows...

Jon

btschumy

#5677463 - 02/13/13 11:11 AM

Unfortunately, we don't have plans for a Windows version in the near future.

There is an Android emulator in the Android development environment, but it is not very good, at least on Mac. I've heard it is not much better on Windows.

pjglad
sage

Reged: 01/29/11

#5678091 - 02/13/13 05:58 PM

Any plans for a PC version of SkySafari?

rmollise
Postmaster

Reged: 07/06/07

Re: Sky Safari 1.7.3 Android Available new [Re: pjglad]
      #5678272 - 02/13/13 08:04 PM

Quote:

Any plans for a PC version of SkySafari?

Say "yes," Bill...

btschumy

Re: Sky Safari 1.7.3 Android Available new [Re: rmollise]
      #5678445 - 02/13/13 09:58 PM

Sorry guys. No plans for a windows version in the near future. Won't say it could never happen though.

Jon Isaacs
Postmaster

#5678948 - 02/14/13 08:32 AM

Quote:

Sorry guys. No plans for a windows version in the near future. Won't say it could never happen though.

The die is cast.

- Way back when... maybe 17 years ago, I saw Starry Night on a MAC Plus and I wanted it ported over to the PC. I sent Sienna Software an Email and urged them to port it over to Windows. They said they had no plans for a port but they would keep me in mind.

A couple of years later (1998) they decided to port it over, and I was a beta tester for the first Windows version of Starry Night.

- Fast forward to 2010. I saw Sky Safari on a friend's iPhone. I sent Bill and Tim an Email (or two) urging them to port it to the Android OS. They said they had no current plans to port it but they would keep me in mind.

Sometime in October 2011, the Port was ready for Beta testing and I was a beta tester for the first Android version of Sky Safari, all three versions.

- It's now 2013, I have "urged" Bill and Tim to port Sky Safari to the Windows platform and as Bill reiterated, there are no plans for a Windows version.

I am figuring I will be Beta testing Sky Safari for Windows maybe late 2013, early 2014.

Jon

pjglad
sage

Reged: 01/29/11

#5678991 - 02/14/13 09:13 AM

It would be interesting to understand the Business Proposition as to why develop SkySafari for the Mac instead of the PC. The competition (Starry Night and TheSky) is available for both platforms. There are 10X as many PCs as Macs. Perhaps that's why I am not in Marketing or Business Development. Perhaps it was distribution - The Mac Store.

rmollise
Postmaster

Reged: 07/06/07

#5679007 - 02/14/13 09:26 AM

Quote:

That's a shame. I'd buy a Win version and probably use it--a lot. So would most of my buddies. But most of us ain't gonna switch to the Mac in order to use your fine program... Alas...

demiles
professor emeritus

Reged: 11/07/06

Re: Sky Safari 1.7.3 Android Available new [Re: rmollise]
      #5679090 - 02/14/13 10:15 AM

I would be all in for a Windows8/Windows Phone8 version!

btschumy

Re: Sky Safari 1.7.3 Android Available new [Re: demiles]
      #5679143 - 02/14/13 10:43 AM

The "business proposition" for Mac is that SkySafari was first developed for iOS on the iPhone. It was vastly simpler to port this to Mac since they both use a similar programming model and language.

Android was a challenge, but we wanted to be on both major mobile platforms. We realized this was the "next big thing".

Astronomy software on Windows has lots of competition and there is some great free software we'd be up against. As I said, we haven't totally ruled it out, but right now we have plenty of existing work to keep us busy. We'd definitely have to hire another programmer to do a port to Windows.

Jon Isaacs
Postmaster

#5679662 - 02/14/13 02:46 PM

Quote:

The "business proposition" for Mac is that SkySafari was first developed for iOS on the iPhone. It was vastly simpler to port this to Mac since they both use a similar programming model and language.

Android was a challenge, but we wanted to be on both major mobile platforms. We realized this was the "next big thing".

Astronomy software on Windows has lots of competition and there is some great free software we'd be up against. As I said, we haven't totally ruled it out, but right now we have plenty of existing work to keep us busy. We'd definitely have to hire another programmer to do a port to Windows.

If I am not mistaken, Sky Safari sprang from Voyager which was basically a Mac program that had been ported to the PC.

I will say this: I have several of the major Windows programs, free ones and paid ones, Cartes du Ciel, the Sky, Stellarium, an older version of Starry Night, Voyager, Star Gazer... and Sky Tools 3.

Ignoring Sky Tools, in terms of overall capability for a visual observer, Sky Safari Pro on my cell phone has more capabilities, more information that any of the others. I basically use Sky Tools and Sky Safari. If my phone or tablet isn't handy, I use Cartes Du Ciel.

Personally I think Sky Safari would be awesome on the PC and if it had the capabilities of Sky Safari Pro, it would the best thing out there. Bill and Tim have the best thing out there, time to take on the sleepy Windows programs and show 'em how how to do it right.

And too, it would very healthy. Imagine how strong your arms would be after a month of using a Windows Desktop machine in the Compass mode.

Jon

Sean Wood

Reged: 04/19/11

Loc: North Carolina
      #5685338 - 02/17/13 02:28 PM

Bill,
Not to get off topic. Well this isn't really terrible far off topic. As far as the planned integration of using Android apps within the Chrome OS. Will SkySafari be supported on that platform once they've done this?

btschumy

Re: Sky Safari 1.7.3 Android Available new [Re: Sean Wood]
      #5685344 - 02/17/13 02:33 PM

I have no idea. I haven't investigated this at all.

Sean Wood

#5685427 - 02/17/13 03:45 PM

Interesting.. I just remembered this. For all those that are discussing running SkySafari in a Windows environment.. try this...

http://www.bluestacks.com/

I managed to get it to load my version of SkySafariPro from the Web based Play Store to my Win7 pc here at work. The BlueStacks Application on my PC showed up as a T mobile device in my list of devices on my Google account for some reason. The only issue I've ran in thus far is I'm gonna have to put my Location in manually and would have to copy the in app data package for SkySafari from my phone to the BlueStaks app as the file will only download via WIFI in SkySafri and evidently that isn't part of the emulator. Did a quick glance at it it's not obvious where the PC app stores the app data.. Will have to do some further investigating once I get home.

edit:
OK.. I think I've gotten to the bottom of the in app data issue.. Blue stacks actually treats the on screen application as a complete Android environment. I can download a file manager such as Astro or File expert and just pull a backed up copy of the in app data for Skysafari of my phone and drop it in drop box to copy and paste into Blue stacks.... or at least that's my plan.

Edited by Sean Wood (02/17/13 03:53 PM)

Jon Isaacs
Postmaster

#5686468 - 02/18/13 06:27 AM

Quote:

I managed to get it to load my version of SkySafariPro from the Web based Play Store to my Win7 pc here at work.

Sean:

Keeps us posted. When you get it all worked out and up and running, a moderately detailed document would give us old codgers a chance at running Sky Safari on a Windows platform.

Jon

AdirondackAstro
sage

Reged: 06/06/11

Loc: Plattsburgh, NY
      #5686841 - 02/18/13 11:37 AM

Love this app and the update on the iPhone, works great. Now if only there was a way I could get it over to my Kindle Fire.

StephAdministrator
Texas Wildflower

Reged: 06/11/05

Loc: North Texas
Re: Sky Safari 1.7.3 Android Available new [Re: AdirondackAstro]
      #5688041 - 02/18/13 11:13 PM

Well, since the other begging began already.... .....any chance you'll ever make it available outside of Google Play so that it can be purchased for use on the Kindle Fire?

btschumy

Re: Sky Safari 1.7.3 Android Available new [Re: Steph]
      #5688676 - 02/19/13 11:14 AM

Quote:

Well, since the other begging began already.... .....any chance you'll ever make it available outside of Google Play so that it can be purchased for use on the Kindle Fire?

It may be time for us to revisit this. Last year when we looked into it, we didn't like the license terms Amazon imposed on the developers. It basically gave them free rein to set the price of your product and limited how you could price it on other (competing) platforms. I know there was a fair amount of developer outcry over this. Perhaps they have changed by now. I'll add it to my to "do list" to look into.

Sean Wood

#5688741 - 02/19/13 11:53 AM

Bill,
Since you're in the adding to the "To Do List"... What might the possibility of this... Ubuntu just dropped a SDK for a unified environment mobile, Tablet and desktop.. or am i just wishing?

http://www.ubuntu.com/devices/tablet

SDK link...
http://developer.ubuntu.com/get-started/gomobile/

Edited by Sean Wood (02/19/13 11:55 AM)

btschumy

#5688990 - 02/19/13 02:19 PM

Sean,

Sorry, but there is no way we are going to spend time porting to Ubuntu tablets right now. This has to be a very small market and we could never recoup the 6-12 man-months it would probably take. In addition, folks that run Ubuntu aren't the type that like to pay for software (as a general rule).

Bill

StephAdministrator
Texas Wildflower

#5689112 - 02/19/13 03:36 PM

Quote:

Quote:

It may be time for us to revisit this. Last year when we looked into it, we didn't like the license terms Amazon imposed on the developers. It basically gave them free rein to set the price of your product and limited how you could price it on other (competing) platforms. I know there was a fair amount of developer outcry over this. Perhaps they have changed by now. I'll add it to my to "do list" to look into.

Ahhh, I guess I shouldn't be surprised. I know from contact with self-published authors in Kindle forums that they do something rather similar in some respects on the book side. I'm not sure if it's that straight-forward or if there are different levels of licensing, though, in that regard; perhaps the software side has different levels now. In any event, thanks for checking it out again when you get to it!

Spaced
Post Laureate

Reged: 03/01/05

Loc: Tacoma, Washington, USA
      #5689210 - 02/19/13 04:23 PM

I saw an article last week (in either Wash. Post or Slate), concerning Amazon's very recent decision to borrow several dump trucks full of money and use much of it to encourage app developers. The writer mused that it's a long term investment, intended to dramatically increase available Kindle Fire (or eventual successors) apps, to gain wider appeal on the consumer market.

timmbottoni
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 08/25/05

Loc: W Chicago suburbs, IL USA
Re: Sky Safari 1.7.3 Android Available new [Re: Spaced]
      #5713039 - 03/04/13 06:05 PM

I just got the Pro version and it runs great on my Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 tablet.

Awesome product!

Timm

frito
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 10/05/12

Loc: Fremont, CA
      #5724176 - 03/10/13 04:10 PM

Quote:

you can get it running on the fire, what you have to do is root it and flash a normal android rom onto it then it will act like any other android tablet free from amazon's constraints. when you consider that amazon has a kindle app for android devices you also do not loose that functionality but you will loose the highly integrated parts the fire has so there may be down sides to this that i am not aware of.

the other even easier thing to do is just pick up a used 8 gb nexus 7 tablet, they can be had for 100-150 dollars or a new 16 gb one for 200 and will probably make you want to stop using your kindle fire anyways because its so much better of a device.

StephAdministrator
Texas Wildflower

Re: Sky Safari 1.7.3 Android Available new [Re: frito]
      #5725175 - 03/11/13 03:24 AM

Well, I neither want to root my Fire nor stop using it. I have a substantial investment in the Fire and other apps that work just fine on it. "Change what you use" or "spend yet more money on something else" has never been my preferred way to solve a problem. But thanks for the advice anyway.

Qwickdraw
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 03/03/12

Loc: Ann Arbor, MI
      #5781922 - 04/06/13 01:56 PM

Bill,

I am going to purchase a Meade LX850 in July. I would love to run SkySafari pro with Skyfi on an Android tablet. Do you think there is any any way to do this in the near future?

btschumy

Re: Sky Safari 1.7.3 Android Available new [Re: Qwickdraw]
      #5781950 - 04/06/13 02:11 PM

Probably not in the near future. We may be able to support WiFi Direct (which Android does support) in SkyFi, but I think it will take a hardware change. The ROM that hold the firmware is getting pretty full. Not sure if we can squeeze that in.

Your best bet for now is to go with Bluetooth using the Roving Networks RN-270 adapter. It has been a great performer.

Qwickdraw
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 03/03/12

Loc: Ann Arbor, MI
      #5781991 - 04/06/13 02:33 PM

Quote:

Probably not in the near future. We may be able to support WiFi Direct (which Android does support) in SkyFi, but I think it will take a hardware change. The ROM that hold the firmware is getting pretty full. Not sure if we can squeeze that in.

Your best bet for now is to go with Bluetooth using the Roving Networks RN-270 adapter. It has been a great performer.

OK, will try that solution but as far as the LX850 being compatible all else should work or will that now be a function of the RN-270 adapter?

btschumy

Re: Sky Safari 1.7.3 Android Available new [Re: Qwickdraw]
      #5782053 - 04/06/13 03:27 PM

Well, assuming Meade didn't change the basic AutoStar protocol, it should just work. We haven't heard of anyone complain that it there are problems.

Mogster
professor emeritus

Reged: 03/14/04

Loc: Manchester, England
      #5843397 - 05/06/13 12:02 PM

Having used Sky Safari Pro on my iPad I'd be more than happy to pay again for a Windows version, especially if it could load view session plans between versions.

btschumy

Re: Sky Safari 1.7.3 Android Available new [Re: Mogster]
      #5843450 - 05/06/13 12:25 PM

No plans for a Windows version. Sorry.

Jon Isaacs
Postmaster

#5843847 - 05/06/13 03:42 PM

Quote:

No plans for a Windows version. Sorry.

At one time there were no plans for a Android version...

At one time there were no plans for a Windows version of Starry Nights...

Both those came to pass, in part due to the interest expressed by the amateur community.

Now the Windows version of Sky Safari requires more tact. I figure next winter when the S.F. Bay Area is cold and rainy, I will invite Bill and Tim down to visit our place in the Laguna mountains. I figure I can hold them hostage until they see the wisdom of a Windows version....

Jon

Sean Wood

#5843887 - 05/06/13 04:06 PM

It's been MY EXPERIENCE that kidnapping and extortion work better if you don't forewarn the intended...

I have Sky Safari working fair in windows using the Bluestacks app that I posted either here or on another thread. I'm just not sure to weather it will control a scope as I have a dob and just use it really for minute planning and field charting.

I'm working on getting my install instructions a tad smoother for the mere muggle minded and the Android uninitiated. I should have it all together by the weekend.

Lamb0
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 07/25/07

Loc: South Eastern(ish) Nebraska
      #5843999 - 05/06/13 04:56 PM

A Linux version would be nice; especially if it's compiled for x86 and capable of running in a Virtualbox, or under QEMM. However, by the time I have a Smartphone/Pad capable of running Android; I'll already have Android running in a VM, probably with ARM emulation to compile my own software. (My current OS is Debian based - subject to change, but other than Windows.) Hence, in my case, a Linux version of Sky Safari would probably be moot. However, I will be purchasing an Android version of Sky Safari... eventually. YMWV

Jon Isaacs
Postmaster

#5844286 - 05/06/13 07:35 PM

Quote:

It's been MY EXPERIENCE that kidnapping and extortion work better if you don't forewarn the intended...

I have Sky Safari working fair in windows using the Bluestacks app that I posted either here or on another thread. I'm just not sure to weather it will control a scope as I have a dob and just use it really for minute planning and field charting.

I'm working on getting my install instructions a tad smoother for the mere muggle minded and the Android uninitiated. I should have it all together by the weekend.

Sean:

That sounds exciting... I have no need for scope control..

Jon

Jon Isaacs
Postmaster

#5844373 - 05/06/13 08:23 PM

Quote:

Sean:

So I downloaded BlueStacks and Sky Safari Plus but it want's to have a wifi connection to download the additional data files... Otherwise it runs and looks promising.

I guess I could try it on my laptop which does have Wifi.

Jon

StephAdministrator
Texas Wildflower

#5844681 - 05/06/13 11:20 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Don't s'pose this has come up yet on the 'to do' list....

Sean Wood

#5846310 - 05/07/13 06:35 PM

Jon:
Even with a WIFI connection it still won't download the data files.. The bluestacks program treats ur hard drive as a variable sized Sd card.. The sky safari data package is to big to download from directly within the bluestacks program. You have to manually download it from the southern stars site, put it in one of the public folder's on your system that the bluestacks app recognizes and then use a file manager within the bluestacks app to move it to where it needs to be for sky safari to find it.

Jon Isaacs
Postmaster

#5848356 - 05/08/13 06:01 PM

Quote:

Jon:
Even with a WIFI connection it still won't download the data files.. The bluestacks program treats ur hard drive as a variable sized Sd card.. The sky safari data package is to big to download from directly within the bluestacks program. You have to manually download it from the southern stars site, put it in one of the public folder's on your system that the bluestacks app recognizes and then use a file manager within the bluestacks app to move it to where it needs to be for sky safari to find it.

Sean:

Is there any way to take the data file from my Tablet or phone and simply transfer it?

By the way, I hope Bill and Tim are OK with running an Android version of Sky Safari on my PC. ??

Jon

Edited by Jon Isaacs (05/08/13 06:03 PM)

btschumy

#5848419 - 05/08/13 06:36 PM

Jon,

You can grab the data file from your tablet and transfer it. The location where it needs to live is described here:

http://www.southernstars.com/products/skysafari_android/data.html

I assume you are still using the Google Play store and its licensing mechanism when using BlueStacks? If so then I guess this is allowed by the Google Play license. If you are circumventing this somehow then that would be a violation.

Edited by btschumy (05/08/13 06:58 PM)

Sean Wood

#5849340 - 05/09/13 07:23 AM

Jon,
You can pull the files off your android device but it's a bigger hassle than downloading the files and moving them around. I tried this a few times and never could quite seem to get ALL the files in the needed folders. Every time I tried the size of the folder never came out the same. I'm not sure but it seems as if some of them are hidden.

Bill,
Yes the Bluse stacks program is Play certified and DOES check for the proper licensing. A fact that I was going to emphasize in my write up. That to use skysafari in the program you had to have a valid licensed product or be willing to purchase one within the emulator itself. This is NOT a work around to get your wonderful product for free. I actually found a couple Android emulators for windows but Bluestacks was the only one that allowed access to the Play Store. The others only has app access through 3rd party markets, predominantly the Amazon Store.

Jon Isaacs
Postmaster

#5849398 - 05/09/13 07:55 AM

Quote:

Jon,

You can grab the data file from your tablet and transfer it. The location where it needs to live is described here:

http://www.southernstars.com/products/skysafari_android/data.html

I assume you are still using the Google Play store and its licensing mechanism when using BlueStacks? If so then I guess this is allowed by the Google Play license. If you are circumventing this somehow then that would be a violation.

Bill:

Thanks. I will see if I can get it up and running when I have time.

I am definitely running it off my Android license within the Playstore, no question about that. I was more interested in your take as to whether you were OK with it. Seems like you are.

Jon

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 5 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  richard7, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3034

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics