Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page


Speciality Forums >> Astronomy Software & Computers

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Cliff Hipsher
Pooh-Bah
***

Reged: 12/31/08

Loc: North Chesterfield, VA
Re: Shopping for a PC Tablet new [Re: PhaedrusUpshaw]
      #6124946 - 10/08/13 01:30 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Bill:

There are several Android apps available, including a version of Stellarium. I have Stellarium Mobile and one called PlanetatiaX Pro that I like, and there are three versions of Sky Safari to choose from...

I'm a little disappointed with the Stellarium port. It takes a while to load, and it took me some cussing to get my location correct, but I still find it useful.




Bob,
Thanks again, you have given me quite a bit to think about and that is a good thing...
Bill




Actually its Cliff, but my shipmates call me Chief.. And you're welcome....


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
PhaedrusUpshaw
super member
*****

Reged: 04/21/12

Loc: Southwestern Indiana
Re: Shopping for a PC Tablet new [Re: Qwickdraw]
      #6124951 - 10/08/13 01:32 PM

Quote:

Having been using it with SS pro via Bluetooth I would highly recommend the Galaxy Note 8. It has plenty of real estate and performance has never been an issue as long as I have used it. Wireless and the S Pen are just the icing on the cake.



Well as a matter of fact Qwickdraw, the Galaxy Note 8(it receives very high ratings) and the Nexus 7 II are the two tablets at the top of my short list. Could you elaborate a bit more on the advantages of the S pen as I am intrigued by the possibility of note taking with it.
Clear skies and of course, "Keep looking up!"
Bill


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
PhaedrusUpshaw
super member
*****

Reged: 04/21/12

Loc: Southwestern Indiana
Re: Shopping for a PC Tablet new [Re: Cliff Hipsher]
      #6124966 - 10/08/13 01:38 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Bill:

There are several Android apps available, including a version of Stellarium. I have Stellarium Mobile and one called PlanetatiaX Pro that I like, and there are three versions of Sky Safari to choose from...

I'm a little disappointed with the Stellarium port. It takes a while to load, and it took me some cussing to get my location correct, but I still find it useful.




Bob,
Thanks again, you have given me quite a bit to think about and that is a good thing...
Bill




Actually its Cliff, but my shipmates call me Chief.. And you're welcome....




OOps!! sorry Chief, I shall not make that mistake again.
Oh, and thanks for the timely reply to my posts. Thanks to The Starry Nights community I am quickly becoming well informed regarding this subject.
Clear skies to all and of course, "Keep looking up!"
Bill


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Qwickdraw
Carpal Tunnel
*****

Reged: 03/03/12

Loc: Ann Arbor, MI
Re: Shopping for a PC Tablet new [Re: Sean Wood]
      #6125069 - 10/08/13 02:16 PM

Quote:

I'm also not sure if Southern Stars have a planned patch/fix in the works for a future release.




Southern Stars is planning a major new release sometime "soon". I would not purchase anything but the base version of this until after SS4 is released.


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
derelicte
member


Reged: 08/30/13

Re: Shopping for a PC Tablet new [Re: Qwickdraw]
      #6125214 - 10/08/13 03:27 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I'm also not sure if Southern Stars have a planned patch/fix in the works for a future release.




Southern Stars is planning a major new release sometime "soon". I would not purchase anything but the base version of this until after SS4 is released.




SS4 is for iOS devices. The android app is at 1.8.2.


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
PhaedrusUpshaw
super member
*****

Reged: 04/21/12

Loc: Southwestern Indiana
Re: Shopping for a PC Tablet new [Re: Qwickdraw]
      #6125355 - 10/08/13 04:18 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I'm also not sure if Southern Stars have a planned patch/fix in the works for a future release.




Southern Stars is planning a major new release sometime "soon". I would not purchase anything but the base version of this until after SS4 is released.



Good point, and by the way I like your signature.
Clear Skies and of course, "Keep looking up!"
Bill


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
btschumy
Vendor - Simulation Curriculum
*****

Reged: 04/13/04

Loc: Longmont, CO, USA
Re: Shopping for a PC Tablet new [Re: Sean Wood]
      #6125475 - 10/08/13 05:19 PM

Quote:

I am a total Android FanBoy but my largest concern with the Nexus line and SkySafari is the on screen software based navigation buttons. On most apps they become well hidden in "night" mode due to minimizing down to small dim dots but my experience with my nexus phone and N7 is that with SkySafari in night mode they don't minimize as with other apps.. they actually increase in brightness intensity and cut into your dark adaptation when using it at night. If you plan on using the tablet with an actual red screen filter this probably wouldn't be an issue.




Sean, I'm surprised to hear you say this. We've had code in to minimize the Android "soft" buttons when in night mode for well over a year. Are you sure you had the latest version? I'm sure we would have heard of this if it was a widespread problem. I have a Nexus 7 for testing and the buttons do minimize. Could it be that you had rooted your device and done something that interfered with it?

Please contact me offline if you really think there is a problem.

Bill


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Jon Isaacs
Postmaster
*****

Reged: 06/16/04

Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA
Re: Shopping for a PC Tablet new [Re: btschumy]
      #6126071 - 10/08/13 11:10 PM

Bill:

Another question:

As I understand it, a major update for the Android version is also in the near future. Since Christmas will mark 2 years since the first version hit the streets, it does make sense for long time users to pay for this major upgrade..

But how about short timers, someone who buys the program today, in two or three months, they may need to buy the new version..

Jon


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
PhaedrusUpshaw
super member
*****

Reged: 04/21/12

Loc: Southwestern Indiana
Re: Shopping for a PC Tablet new [Re: Jon Isaacs]
      #6126320 - 10/09/13 03:22 AM

Quote:

Bill:

Another question:

As I understand it, a major update for the Android version is also in the near future. Since Christmas will mark 2 years since the first version hit the streets, it does make sense for long time users to pay for this major upgrade..

But how about short timers, someone who buys the program today, in two or three months, they may need to buy the new version..

Jon




Jon:

I copied this from Tech Radar tonight:

Until Android 4.4 was announced we had expected the Android 5.0 release date to be some time in October 2013. We now expect to see Android 4.4 KitKat launch during that month. In the face of that point release, we think it's now likely that we'll see Android 5.0 shown in mid-2014, quite possibly at Google IO, Google's annual two-day developer conference in San Francisco.

Clear skies,
Bill


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Sean Wood
super member


Reged: 04/19/11

Loc: North Carolina
Re: Shopping for a PC Tablet new [Re: PhaedrusUpshaw]
      #6127004 - 10/09/13 01:30 PM

Bill (thread Opp) If staying up to date on your devices firmware is important, You'll definitely want to go with the Nexus line. The updates for the Android OS come straight from Google. The Nexus line is the "benchmark" device that Android is being developed for so there "should" be fewer possible issues between the software/hardware. If they announce an Android update it is typically available for download within a week if not a few days. Manufacturers like Samsung, Asus and so on have to make tweaks to the OS to get it to play nice with their hardware and software enhancements that "set their devices apart" like say the S-pen and whatnot. This can delay the release weeks and in some cases months. Also, as far as apps that you download in the Google Play Store they are self updating. If you purchase it now and the developer updates it you don't have to pay again for the update. You'd only have to purchase another app if the developer discontinued support for that app and created another one. Plus if you purchase an app for your tablet you will also be able to download it to any other Android devices you may have(phone), as long as you're logged in on the same Google account. The app license is tied to the google account not the device which means if your device bites the dust you can just log in on your new device and reload the app again.


Bill (from Southern Stars) It's been about a yr since my tablet was nabbed. It very well may have been running a previous version that didn't have the nav button fix. It still doesn't minimize them on my Samsung Galaxy Nexus though. I'm running Skysafari version 1.8.2 and stock android 4.2.2. I can send a screen shot and logcat file if you need.


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
PhaedrusUpshaw
super member
*****

Reged: 04/21/12

Loc: Southwestern Indiana
Re: Shopping for a PC Tablet new [Re: PhaedrusUpshaw]
      #6129295 - 10/10/13 03:03 PM

Nexus 7 II, 32GB, WiFi @ $169.99 and this Phablet is fantastic. It's fast, reliable and just about the perfect size for taking anywhere. I'm quite impressed by the responsiveness and yes, I am a very satisfied fan of my Nexus 7 tablet.

Edited by PhaedrusUpshaw (10/10/13 03:06 PM)


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
derelicte
member


Reged: 08/30/13

Re: Shopping for a PC Tablet new [Re: btschumy]
      #6130561 - 10/11/13 08:45 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I am a total Android FanBoy but my largest concern with the Nexus line and SkySafari is the on screen software based navigation buttons. On most apps they become well hidden in "night" mode due to minimizing down to small dim dots but my experience with my nexus phone and N7 is that with SkySafari in night mode they don't minimize as with other apps.. they actually increase in brightness intensity and cut into your dark adaptation when using it at night. If you plan on using the tablet with an actual red screen filter this probably wouldn't be an issue.




Sean, I'm surprised to hear you say this. We've had code in to minimize the Android "soft" buttons when in night mode for well over a year. Are you sure you had the latest version? I'm sure we would have heard of this if it was a widespread problem. I have a Nexus 7 for testing and the buttons do minimize. Could it be that you had rooted your device and done something that interfered with it?

Please contact me offline if you really think there is a problem.

Bill




After my experiences last night, I'd agree that you have issues with minimizing the soft buttons.

On my nexus 7, you do minimize the buttons most of the time. However I noticed that if the scope control panel is open, the buttons don't always get minimized. Toggling night mode off and on seems to fix this.

However on my nexus 4, the buttons never minimize regardless of what I do. It just doesn't work.


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
derelicte
member


Reged: 08/30/13

Re: Shopping for a PC Tablet new [Re: PhaedrusUpshaw]
      #6130563 - 10/11/13 08:46 AM

Quote:

Nexus 7 II, 32GB, WiFi @ $169.99 and this Phablet is fantastic. It's fast, reliable and just about the perfect size for taking anywhere. I'm quite impressed by the responsiveness and yes, I am a very satisfied fan of my Nexus 7 tablet.




congrats! that is a great price!


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Sean Wood
super member


Reged: 04/19/11

Loc: North Carolina
Re: Shopping for a PC Tablet new [Re: PhaedrusUpshaw]
      #6130965 - 10/11/13 12:17 PM

Quote:

Nexus 7 II, 32GB, WiFi @ $169.99 and this Phablet is fantastic. It's fast, reliable and just about the perfect size for taking anywhere. I'm quite impressed by the responsiveness and yes, I am a very satisfied fan of my Nexus 7 tablet.




WOW!!!!.. Where did you find the gen2 Nexus 7 for $169 So that I may procure one for myself...lol


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
PhaedrusUpshaw
super member
*****

Reged: 04/21/12

Loc: Southwestern Indiana
Re: Shopping for a PC Tablet new [Re: Sean Wood]
      #6131020 - 10/11/13 12:39 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Nexus 7 II, 32GB, WiFi @ $169.99 and this Phablet is fantastic. It's fast, reliable and just about the perfect size for taking anywhere. I'm quite impressed by the responsiveness and yes, I am a very satisfied fan of my Nexus 7 tablet.





WOW!!!!.. Where did you find the gen2 Nexus 7 for $169 So that I may procure one for myself...lol




OOPS!!!!!

$269.99

Sorrrrrry about that, however I believe it is worth every penny, I couldn't be happier.
Clear skies,
Bill


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
derelicte
member


Reged: 08/30/13

Re: Shopping for a PC Tablet new [Re: PhaedrusUpshaw]
      #6131038 - 10/11/13 12:45 PM

that makes more sense. For that price I thought about picking up another.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
PhaedrusUpshaw
super member
*****

Reged: 04/21/12

Loc: Southwestern Indiana
Re: Shopping for a PC Tablet new [Re: derelicte]
      #6131139 - 10/11/13 01:26 PM

Quote:

that makes more sense. For that price I thought about picking up another.




...got all excited there for a moment, did you?

Well now, I have made my mistake for "this" year.


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
richard7Moderator
Not Quite
*****

Reged: 11/02/07

Loc: Sacramento
Re: Shopping for a PC Tablet new [Re: PhaedrusUpshaw]
      #6131937 - 10/11/13 08:36 PM

Got to admit that was a good mistake. I nearly jumped out of my shoes.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
PhaedrusUpshaw
super member
*****

Reged: 04/21/12

Loc: Southwestern Indiana
Re: Shopping for a PC Tablet new [Re: richard7]
      #6132046 - 10/11/13 09:43 PM

I'm sure SNAFU that crated quit a bit of excitement in the small group of Cloudy Night posters following this thread...

Clear skies to all and of course, "Keep looking up!"
Bill


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
ourobouros2k2
sage


Reged: 11/10/11

Loc: okc area, oklahoma
Re: Shopping for a PC Tablet new [Re: PhaedrusUpshaw]
      #6133084 - 10/12/13 01:16 PM

I use the Acer Iconia W3 tablet. It runs a full version of windows 8, not just win8 RT. As such, I can run all my old programs. Stellarium, PHD, eqmod and so on all work just fine.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)


Extra information
6 registered and 5 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  richard7, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled


Thread views: 1351

Jump to

CN Forums Home




Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics