Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Speciality Forums >> Astronomy Software & Computers

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
PhaedrusUpshaw

Reged: 04/21/12

Loc: Southwestern Indiana
Shopping for a PC Tablet
      #6123999 - 10/08/13 01:37 AM

I have just recently started shopping for a tablet pc to be used principally as an astronomy tool. As I have absolutely no experience in this area, I would appreciate advice from the learned posters here in the Starry Nights forums regarding must have features and pitfalls to steer clear of. I am looking for really good screen resolution; a stable fast platform and you tell me what else I need to pay attention to in this aforementioned shopping research endeavor. Budget is a consideration; I will have to keep it under $400.00.
Clear skies and of course, “Keep looking up!”
Bill

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
StarWars
Mr. Postmaster Man

Reged: 11/26/03

Loc: At the Gym >Spudtastic<
Re: Shopping for a PC Tablet new [Re: PhaedrusUpshaw]
      #6124054 - 10/08/13 02:43 AM

You can buy new tablets from Ebay...

9" inch Google Android 4.0 Tablet PC 8GB 512MB Computer Netbook WiFi

http://www.ebay.com/itm/9-inch-Google-Android-4-0-Tablet-PC-8GB-512MB-Compute...

9" Inch Android 4.0.4 Dual Camera 8GB Tablet PC Netbook Computer Black..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/9-Inch-Android-4-0-4-Dual-Camera-8GB-Tablet-PC-Netboo...

Jon Isaacs
Postmaster

Reged: 06/16/04

Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA
Re: Shopping for a PC Tablet new [Re: StarWars]
      #6124284 - 10/08/13 08:20 AM

Quote:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/9-inch-Google-Android-4-0-Tablet-PC-8GB-512MB-Compute...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/9-Inch-Android-4-0-4-Dual-Camera-8GB-Tablet-PC-Netboo...

I do not recommend buying tablets like these, they are inexpensive but they are lacking in Ram, 512MB is quite restrictive and the one only has 4 GB of storage Ram. Both of these have screen resolutions of 800x480, that's passable on a smaller phone but for a 9 inch tablet, it's just not enough pixels.

They also lack the sensors like a compass, accelerometers, GPS that allow the tablet to align with the sky, one of the real bonuses of a tablet/phone.

There are a variety of choices out there that are well within your budget. For the Android market you definitely want Google Play and a minimum of a 1 GHZ processor, those are the minimum to run Sky Safari. But a decent tablet will have at least a dual core and probably a 4 core processor. 1 GB of system ram is a minimum, 2 is better.. 8GB of Storage is good, 16 is better.. As previously mentioned the full load of sensors is nice.. screen.. more is better.

My personal preference is for a 7 inch tablet, that way it fits in my coat pocket and I can have it with me, protected and right there ready to go.

In terms of a 7 inch Tablet, the 2013 model of the Nexus 7 is pretty hard to beat.. I bought one.. It's got a 1.5 GHz 4 core processor, a 1920x1200 screen, 2GB of system Ram, 16 GB of Storage, it's got all the sensors and a GPS... It's fast and has a great screen.. Runs Sky Safari like a dream. The battery life, a problem with less expensive tablets, is very good, I use the heck out it and I charge it every two or three days... It's $230...

Jon

Cliff Hipsher
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 12/31/08

Loc: North Chesterfield, VA
      #6124299 - 10/08/13 08:29 AM

The first question you need to answer is, "What EXACTLY do I want to accomplish?"

FWIW, I have a Samsung Galaxy 2 10.1. Its a good device, but because I am wandering down the astrophotography road, I use a Windows based laptop for mount control and image capture. For post processing I have a choice of either a "better" laptop (more ram, faster CPU, bigger hard drive), or a "better" (dual monitors, faster CPU, more ram, bigger hard drive) desktop.

Additionally, if the temps get too cold I have some VPN software that lets me control my imaging laptop from my other laptop or the desktop... Can't do that with a tablet...yet....

derelicte

Reged: 08/30/13

Re: Shopping for a PC Tablet new [Re: Cliff Hipsher]
      #6124366 - 10/08/13 09:00 AM

Nexus 7.

PhaedrusUpshaw

Re: Shopping for a PC Tablet new [Re: StarWars]
      #6124585 - 10/08/13 10:51 AM

Quote:

Thanks for the reply, however I am looking for something with a bit more screen real estate than 4 inches. I shall keep this in mind though.
Clear skies and of course, "Keep looking up!"
Bill

Edited by PhaedrusUpshaw (10/08/13 11:05 AM)

Bob Griffiths
Getting Grouchy

Reged: 10/10/05

Loc: Frederick Maryland
Re: Shopping for a PC Tablet new [Re: derelicte]
      #6124591 - 10/08/13 10:54 AM

Well a blue tooth keyboard (and case) an an iPad 7 inch tablet would be my first choice ..with the keyboard/case you are darn close to your budget...

SIZE is important...I have a 7 inch tablet that gets more use outside the house then my regular full sized IPad because as noted I can shove it in my pocket. Plus as a e-reader ...I very much prefer to use the 7

At one time I controlled the scope with my desktop computer in the observatory but I found it more work then it was worth (to me as a visual only observer) ..never tried to run any scope with the tablet...

Bob G.

PhaedrusUpshaw

#6124596 - 10/08/13 10:57 AM

Quote:

The first question you need to answer is, "What EXACTLY do I want to accomplish?"

FWIW, I have a Samsung Galaxy 2 10.1. Its a good device, but because I am wandering down the astrophotography road, I use a Windows based laptop for mount control and image capture. For post processing I have a choice of either a "better" laptop (more ram, faster CPU, bigger hard drive), or a "better" (dual monitors, faster CPU, more ram, bigger hard drive) desktop.

Additionally, if the temps get too cold I have some VPN software that lets me control my imaging laptop from my other laptop or the desktop... Can't do that with a tablet...yet....

Hello Cliff,
I already have an EQMOD/XP desktop PC in my observatory and use my W7 laptop to control camera shutter speed etc. I want to add a tablet to to my arsenal primary to help me locate stars and satellites and confirm sightings. Thanks for the input.
Bill

PhaedrusUpshaw

Re: Shopping for a PC Tablet new [Re: Bob Griffiths]
      #6124610 - 10/08/13 11:03 AM

Quote:

Well a blue tooth keyboard (and case) an an iPad 7 inch tablet would be my first choice ..with the keyboard/case you are darn close to your budget...

SIZE is important...I have a 7 inch tablet that gets more use outside the house then my regular full sized IPad because as noted I can shove it in my pocket. Plus as a e-reader ...I very much prefer to use the 7

At one time I controlled the scope with my desktop computer in the observatory but I found it more work then it was worth (to me as a visual only observer) ..never tried to run any scope with the tablet...

Bob G.

Good morning Bob,
An iPad was my first consideration, however I am not fond of its file management system and the lack of USB support without a costly adapter. Your comments concerning the 7 inch format are well taken.
Bill

PhaedrusUpshaw

Re: Shopping for a PC Tablet new [Re: Jon Isaacs]
      #6124638 - 10/08/13 11:16 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I do not recommend buying tablets like these, they are inexpensive but they are lacking in Ram, 512MB is quite restrictive and the one only has 4 GB of storage Ram. Both of these have screen resolutions of 800x480, that's passable on a smaller phone but for a 9 inch tablet, it's just not enough pixels.

They also lack the sensors like a compass, accelerometers, GPS that allow the tablet to align with the sky, one of the real bonuses of a tablet/phone.

There are a variety of choices out there that are well within your budget. For the Android market you definitely want Google Play and a minimum of a 1 GHZ processor, those are the minimum to run Sky Safari. But a decent tablet will have at least a dual core and probably a 4 core processor. 1 GB of system ram is a minimum, 2 is better.. 8GB of Storage is good, 16 is better.. As previously mentioned the full load of sensors is nice.. screen.. more is better.

My personal preference is for a 7 inch tablet, that way it fits in my coat pocket and I can have it with me, protected and right there ready to go.

In terms of a 7 inch Tablet, the 2013 model of the Nexus 7 is pretty hard to beat.. I bought one.. It's got a 1.5 GHz 4 core processor, a 1920x1200 screen, 2GB of system Ram, 16 GB of Storage, it's got all the sensors and a GPS... It's fast and has a great screen.. Runs Sky Safari like a dream. The battery life, a problem with less expensive tablets, is very good, I use the heck out it and I charge it every two or three days... It's $230...

Jon

Jon,
Your reply is, as usual, very informative and I have come to respect your opinion a great deal. The Nexus 7 is at the top of my short list. Thank you for the comprehensive and prompt reply.
Bill

PhaedrusUpshaw

#6124643 - 10/08/13 11:18 AM

Quote:

Nexus 7.

derelicte,
That is what I am presently thinking!
Bill

Cliff Hipsher
Pooh-Bah

Re: Shopping for a PC Tablet new [Re: Bob Griffiths]
      #6124677 - 10/08/13 11:33 AM

Quote:

Bob G.

Check this out: http://www.southernstars.com/

Cliff Hipsher
Pooh-Bah

#6124779 - 10/08/13 12:05 PM

Bill:

There are several Android apps available, including a version of Stellarium. I have Stellarium Mobile and one called PlanetatiaX Pro that I like, and there are three versions of Sky Safari to choose from...

I'm a little disappointed with the Stellarium port. It takes a while to load, and it took me some cussing to get my location correct, but I still find it useful.

derelicte

#6124801 - 10/08/13 12:16 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Nexus 7.

derelicte,
Bill

The nexus 7 is a great, inexpensive tablet. A n7 + cheap bt serial adapter + sky safari plus = wireless control of your mount. Really simple.

Qwickdraw
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/03/12

Loc: Ann Arbor, MI
      #6124802 - 10/08/13 12:16 PM Attachment (8 downloads)

Having been using it with SS pro via Bluetooth I would highly recommend the Galaxy Note 8. It has plenty of real estate and performance has never been an issue as long as I have used it. Wireless and the S Pen are just the icing on the cake.

Sean Wood

Reged: 04/19/11

Loc: North Carolina
Re: Shopping for a PC Tablet new [Re: Qwickdraw]
      #6124883 - 10/08/13 12:57 PM

I am a total Android FanBoy but my largest concern with the Nexus line and SkySafari is the on screen software based navigation buttons. On most apps they become well hidden in "night" mode due to minimizing down to small dim dots but my experience with my nexus phone and N7 is that with SkySafari in night mode they don't minimize as with other apps.. they actually increase in brightness intensity and cut into your dark adaptation when using it at night. If you plan on using the tablet with an actual red screen filter this probably wouldn't be an issue. I'm also not sure if Southern Stars have a planned patch/fix in the works for a future release. Just adding my 2 cents and opinion. Loved my tablet, before it got filtched at a club outreach event, and hands down you can't beat Skysafari but they don't seem to play well together with the onscreen nav buttons. What's odd is I don't have the same issues with my Asus Transformer which is a 10" tablet.

PhaedrusUpshaw

#6124899 - 10/08/13 01:05 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Bob G.

Check this out: http://www.southernstars.com/

Thanks for the link Bob, no matter what tablet I end up buying it looks like a copy of Sky Safari might very well be in my future.
Bill

PhaedrusUpshaw

#6124903 - 10/08/13 01:08 PM

Quote:

Bill:

There are several Android apps available, including a version of Stellarium. I have Stellarium Mobile and one called PlanetatiaX Pro that I like, and there are three versions of Sky Safari to choose from...

I'm a little disappointed with the Stellarium port. It takes a while to load, and it took me some cussing to get my location correct, but I still find it useful.

Bob,
Thanks again, you have given me quite a bit to think about and that is a good thing...
Bill

PhaedrusUpshaw

#6124911 - 10/08/13 01:11 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Nexus 7.

derelicte,
Bill

The nexus 7 is a great, inexpensive tablet. A n7 + cheap bt serial adapter + sky safari plus = wireless control of your mount. Really simple.

Well I hadn't even considered controlling my mount with the Tablet, however it is something I will consider when I make my final decision regarding a Tablet purchase.
Thanks again and Clear skies,
Bill

PhaedrusUpshaw

Re: Shopping for a PC Tablet new [Re: Sean Wood]
      #6124926 - 10/08/13 01:20 PM

Quote:

I am a total Android FanBoy but my largest concern with the Nexus line and SkySafari is the on screen software based navigation buttons. On most apps they become well hidden in "night" mode due to minimizing down to small dim dots but my experience with my nexus phone and N7 is that with SkySafari in night mode they don't minimize as with other apps.. they actually increase in brightness intensity and cut into your dark adaptation when using it at night. If you plan on using the tablet with an actual red screen filter this probably wouldn't be an issue. I'm also not sure if Southern Stars have a planned patch/fix in the works for a future release. Just adding my 2 cents and opinion. Loved my tablet, before it got filtched at a club outreach event, and hands down you can't beat Skysafari but they don't seem to play well together with the onscreen nav buttons. What's odd is I don't have the same issues with my Asus Transformer which is a 10" tablet.

Thank you for your 2 cents worth, you have made some valid points that I shall consider. Every post is appreciated as I am gaining knowledge in the Tablet pc arena and an informed decision is the only kind I like making.

Clear skies and of course"Keep looking up!"
Bill

Cliff Hipsher
Pooh-Bah

#6124946 - 10/08/13 01:30 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Bill:

Bob,
Thanks again, you have given me quite a bit to think about and that is a good thing...
Bill

Actually its Cliff, but my shipmates call me Chief.. And you're welcome....

PhaedrusUpshaw

#6124951 - 10/08/13 01:32 PM

Quote:

Having been using it with SS pro via Bluetooth I would highly recommend the Galaxy Note 8. It has plenty of real estate and performance has never been an issue as long as I have used it. Wireless and the S Pen are just the icing on the cake.

Well as a matter of fact Qwickdraw, the Galaxy Note 8(it receives very high ratings) and the Nexus 7 II are the two tablets at the top of my short list. Could you elaborate a bit more on the advantages of the S pen as I am intrigued by the possibility of note taking with it.
Bill

PhaedrusUpshaw

#6124966 - 10/08/13 01:38 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Bill:

Bob,
Bill

Actually its Cliff, but my shipmates call me Chief.. And you're welcome....

OOps!! sorry Chief, I shall not make that mistake again.
Oh, and thanks for the timely reply to my posts. Thanks to The Starry Nights community I am quickly becoming well informed regarding this subject.
Clear skies to all and of course, "Keep looking up!"
Bill

Qwickdraw
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/03/12

Loc: Ann Arbor, MI
      #6125069 - 10/08/13 02:16 PM

Quote:

I'm also not sure if Southern Stars have a planned patch/fix in the works for a future release.

Southern Stars is planning a major new release sometime "soon". I would not purchase anything but the base version of this until after SS4 is released.

derelicte

#6125214 - 10/08/13 03:27 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I'm also not sure if Southern Stars have a planned patch/fix in the works for a future release.

Southern Stars is planning a major new release sometime "soon". I would not purchase anything but the base version of this until after SS4 is released.

SS4 is for iOS devices. The android app is at 1.8.2.

PhaedrusUpshaw

#6125355 - 10/08/13 04:18 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Good point, and by the way I like your signature.
Clear Skies and of course, "Keep looking up!"
Bill

btschumy
Vendor - Simulation Curriculum

Reged: 04/13/04

Loc: Longmont, CO, USA
      #6125475 - 10/08/13 05:19 PM

Quote:

I am a total Android FanBoy but my largest concern with the Nexus line and SkySafari is the on screen software based navigation buttons. On most apps they become well hidden in "night" mode due to minimizing down to small dim dots but my experience with my nexus phone and N7 is that with SkySafari in night mode they don't minimize as with other apps.. they actually increase in brightness intensity and cut into your dark adaptation when using it at night. If you plan on using the tablet with an actual red screen filter this probably wouldn't be an issue.

Sean, I'm surprised to hear you say this. We've had code in to minimize the Android "soft" buttons when in night mode for well over a year. Are you sure you had the latest version? I'm sure we would have heard of this if it was a widespread problem. I have a Nexus 7 for testing and the buttons do minimize. Could it be that you had rooted your device and done something that interfered with it?

Please contact me offline if you really think there is a problem.

Bill

Jon Isaacs
Postmaster

Reged: 06/16/04

Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA
Re: Shopping for a PC Tablet new [Re: btschumy]
      #6126071 - 10/08/13 11:10 PM

Bill:

Another question:

As I understand it, a major update for the Android version is also in the near future. Since Christmas will mark 2 years since the first version hit the streets, it does make sense for long time users to pay for this major upgrade..

But how about short timers, someone who buys the program today, in two or three months, they may need to buy the new version..

Jon

PhaedrusUpshaw

Re: Shopping for a PC Tablet new [Re: Jon Isaacs]
      #6126320 - 10/09/13 03:22 AM

Quote:

Bill:

Another question:

As I understand it, a major update for the Android version is also in the near future. Since Christmas will mark 2 years since the first version hit the streets, it does make sense for long time users to pay for this major upgrade..

But how about short timers, someone who buys the program today, in two or three months, they may need to buy the new version..

Jon

Jon:

I copied this from Tech Radar tonight:

Until Android 4.4 was announced we had expected the Android 5.0 release date to be some time in October 2013. We now expect to see Android 4.4 KitKat launch during that month. In the face of that point release, we think it's now likely that we'll see Android 5.0 shown in mid-2014, quite possibly at Google IO, Google's annual two-day developer conference in San Francisco.

Clear skies,
Bill

Sean Wood

#6127004 - 10/09/13 01:30 PM

Bill (thread Opp) If staying up to date on your devices firmware is important, You'll definitely want to go with the Nexus line. The updates for the Android OS come straight from Google. The Nexus line is the "benchmark" device that Android is being developed for so there "should" be fewer possible issues between the software/hardware. If they announce an Android update it is typically available for download within a week if not a few days. Manufacturers like Samsung, Asus and so on have to make tweaks to the OS to get it to play nice with their hardware and software enhancements that "set their devices apart" like say the S-pen and whatnot. This can delay the release weeks and in some cases months. Also, as far as apps that you download in the Google Play Store they are self updating. If you purchase it now and the developer updates it you don't have to pay again for the update. You'd only have to purchase another app if the developer discontinued support for that app and created another one. Plus if you purchase an app for your tablet you will also be able to download it to any other Android devices you may have(phone), as long as you're logged in on the same Google account. The app license is tied to the google account not the device which means if your device bites the dust you can just log in on your new device and reload the app again.

Bill (from Southern Stars) It's been about a yr since my tablet was nabbed. It very well may have been running a previous version that didn't have the nav button fix. It still doesn't minimize them on my Samsung Galaxy Nexus though. I'm running Skysafari version 1.8.2 and stock android 4.2.2. I can send a screen shot and logcat file if you need.

PhaedrusUpshaw

#6129295 - 10/10/13 03:03 PM

Nexus 7 II, 32GB, WiFi @ $169.99 and this Phablet is fantastic. It's fast, reliable and just about the perfect size for taking anywhere. I'm quite impressed by the responsiveness and yes, I am a very satisfied fan of my Nexus 7 tablet.

Edited by PhaedrusUpshaw (10/10/13 03:06 PM)

derelicte

Re: Shopping for a PC Tablet new [Re: btschumy]
      #6130561 - 10/11/13 08:45 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I am a total Android FanBoy but my largest concern with the Nexus line and SkySafari is the on screen software based navigation buttons. On most apps they become well hidden in "night" mode due to minimizing down to small dim dots but my experience with my nexus phone and N7 is that with SkySafari in night mode they don't minimize as with other apps.. they actually increase in brightness intensity and cut into your dark adaptation when using it at night. If you plan on using the tablet with an actual red screen filter this probably wouldn't be an issue.

Sean, I'm surprised to hear you say this. We've had code in to minimize the Android "soft" buttons when in night mode for well over a year. Are you sure you had the latest version? I'm sure we would have heard of this if it was a widespread problem. I have a Nexus 7 for testing and the buttons do minimize. Could it be that you had rooted your device and done something that interfered with it?

Please contact me offline if you really think there is a problem.

Bill

After my experiences last night, I'd agree that you have issues with minimizing the soft buttons.

On my nexus 7, you do minimize the buttons most of the time. However I noticed that if the scope control panel is open, the buttons don't always get minimized. Toggling night mode off and on seems to fix this.

However on my nexus 4, the buttons never minimize regardless of what I do. It just doesn't work.

derelicte

#6130563 - 10/11/13 08:46 AM

Quote:

Nexus 7 II, 32GB, WiFi @ $169.99 and this Phablet is fantastic. It's fast, reliable and just about the perfect size for taking anywhere. I'm quite impressed by the responsiveness and yes, I am a very satisfied fan of my Nexus 7 tablet.

congrats! that is a great price!

Sean Wood

#6130965 - 10/11/13 12:17 PM

Quote:

WOW!!!!.. Where did you find the gen2 Nexus 7 for $169 So that I may procure one for myself...lol

PhaedrusUpshaw

#6131020 - 10/11/13 12:39 PM

Quote:

Quote:

WOW!!!!.. Where did you find the gen2 Nexus 7 for $169 So that I may procure one for myself...lol

OOPS!!!!!

$269.99

Sorrrrrry about that, however I believe it is worth every penny, I couldn't be happier.
Clear skies,
Bill

derelicte

#6131038 - 10/11/13 12:45 PM

that makes more sense. For that price I thought about picking up another.

PhaedrusUpshaw

#6131139 - 10/11/13 01:26 PM

Quote:

that makes more sense. For that price I thought about picking up another.

...got all excited there for a moment, did you?

Well now, I have made my mistake for "this" year.

richard7Moderator
Not Quite

Reged: 11/02/07

Loc: Sacramento
      #6131937 - 10/11/13 08:36 PM

Got to admit that was a good mistake. I nearly jumped out of my shoes.

PhaedrusUpshaw

Re: Shopping for a PC Tablet new [Re: richard7]
      #6132046 - 10/11/13 09:43 PM

I'm sure SNAFU that crated quit a bit of excitement in the small group of Cloudy Night posters following this thread...

Clear skies to all and of course, "Keep looking up!"
Bill

ourobouros2k2
sage

Reged: 11/10/11

Loc: okc area, oklahoma
      #6133084 - 10/12/13 01:16 PM

I use the Acer Iconia W3 tablet. It runs a full version of windows 8, not just win8 RT. As such, I can run all my old programs. Stellarium, PHD, eqmod and so on all work just fine.

PhaedrusUpshaw

Re: Shopping for a PC Tablet new [Re: ourobouros2k2]
      #6133850 - 10/12/13 08:53 PM

I purchased SkySafari today and installed on the N7. WOW what a cool piece of technology, it will definitely enhance my observing sessions from here on out. So I took the ST80 out to the front yard at twilight for a short while. Did you know that the same phenomena that produces clouds when you purchase a new scope or piece of astronomy hardware also works for software? I got our moon into focus and noticed a star just to the east of it, fired up the N7 with SkySafari and identified Dabih Major a double star in Capricornus but before I could even attempt to split the two components of Beta Capricorni the clouds rolled in; thick clouds, enormous clouds, lots of clouds. . .
Drat!
Clear skies to the rest of you!
Bill

thebigeast44

Reged: 04/26/08

#6151964 - 10/22/13 04:01 PM

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2013/10/the-ultimate-tablet-comparison-chart-w...

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
4 registered and 7 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  richard7, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1369

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics