Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Observing >> Deep Sky Observing

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
sebagr

Reged: 08/07/10

Loc: Buenos Aires, Argentina
New Tool: DSO Browser
      #4068768 - 09/23/10 06:32 PM

Hi!

I've been reading CN for a while now but never posted anything. I think this is my first post so, hi!

Since I bought my first telescope I've always found myself thinking which objects I could see each day from my place, both for observing and doing some AP.

I always wanted a tool that would let me answer questions like "Which DSOs can I see from my lat/long, 8th magnitude or less, between 8 pm and 4 am, reaching 45 degrees above the horizon for at least 2 hours?"

Since I'm a programmer (and thanks to the Saguaro Astronomy Club for letting me use their DB!) I decided to do this tool myself. Now I've managed to get a decent version after working for some time and I wanted to share it with you: the DSO Browser, at http://dso-browser.com

In the newest browsers (Firefox 3.5, Safari 5, Chrome 5, Opera 10.6 and above) you'll see the possibility to automagically detect your local coordinates. If you don't see it, you can just enter them manually. From there, you can set all kind of filters: type of object, apparent magnitude and size, minimum altitude, etc. Just bear in mind that any filters you set will restrict the search more and more, so leave some options empty if you're not sure what you're looking for.

The result page will be a paginated list of DSOs that can be seen from that place, showing approximate rise, transit and set times above the minimum desired altitude.

At the bottom of the page there's a contact form you can use to let me know your suggestions. I'm planning to include more features, but I believe I managed to get a decent enough version to share with you so those who wanted to use it could benefit from it.

Please note: this is not an exact application, just approximate enough to help in your observation/astrophotography sessions, so don't expect 'surgical precision' in the calculations

Hope you like it, I look forward to your comments!

Clear skies,

Sebastian

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
azure1961p
Postmaster

Reged: 01/17/09

Loc: USA
Re: New Tool: DSO Browser *DELETED* new [Re: sebagr]
      #4068788 - 09/23/10 06:41 PM

Post deleted by azure1961p

uniondrone
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/05/09

Loc: Streetlight Archipelago
Re: New Tool: DSO Browser new [Re: azure1961p]
      #4069177 - 09/23/10 10:08 PM

Cool idea! I like the concept a lot.

There seems to be an issue with the surface brightness field for the search terms. When I select field values for these it always seems to return no hits. It doesn't seem to be a "directional" issue, as it doesn't seem to matter whether I put the low end of the range or the high end of the range in the either field for that parameter.

sebagr

Re: New Tool: DSO Browser new [Re: uniondrone]
      #4069263 - 09/23/10 11:08 PM

Hi guys, thanks for your feedback

@Pete: the website does not track you, it's just using your web browser default implementation to find an approximate latitude and longitude. This is just for convenience so you don't need to enter it manually (which is required anyway if you want to see what's available in your area).

But your suggestion's fair enough, so I disabled the auto localization feature. Now you can trigger that behavior clicking on the top right 'Find my location' button, or just enter your coordinates manually.

@Chuck: yeah, I've spotted that issue as well. The problem is that if you select a lower/upper bound to the surface brightness it automatically excludes all those objects without that info. I'm planning to add a pulldown, similar to the Magnitude section, giving the option to include/exclude those objects with unknown surface brightness.

Thanks again!

sebagr

Re: New Tool: DSO Browser new [Re: sebagr]
      #4069281 - 09/23/10 11:24 PM

@Chuck: I've now added that include/exclude feature. You'll see a big difference in the amount of objects found setting lower and/or upper bounds to the surface brightness and then changing this include/exclude option.

The problem is that, to get a surface brightness, you need two pieces of information: the apparent magnitude and size. If there's one of them missing, then you can't compute the surface brightness. That's why there are so many objects with S.B.

C_Moon
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 10/23/09

Loc: Beneath the arms of Cassiopeia
      #4069354 - 09/24/10 12:21 AM

Awesome tool! I like the auto locate feature (w/ regard to privacy concerns, that info is there for the taking anyway, isn't it?).

One problem I had was sorting by set time (didn't seem to work). Also, if you click on a column heading, it will sort by that parameter, but that feature did not seem to work for rise, transit or set times (screen just went blank). I got around it somewhat by sorting by RA.

One thing that would be useful, but perhaps it is not easy to do, would be to allow the user to pick an object, and then tell you the best dates to view based on altitude and time constraints (e.g., dates when M22 is >30 deg altitude between 1am and 3am).

Thanks for posting, I'll be sure to bookmark!

skybsd
Post Laureate

Reged: 02/01/08

#4069510 - 09/24/10 02:56 AM

Hello,
Thanks for working on this..,

I've just tried it and have the following questions / comments: -

1] It would be useful to know which of the fields are absolutely mandatory

2] For each field from "Apparent Magnitude" through to "Object Coordinates", you may wish to consider adding tooltips that explain in more detail about each field and how respective values affect results

3] Following from [2], for each field from "Apparent Magnitude" through to "Object Coordinates", you may wish to consider either pre-loading corresponding "generalized", default values, or add notes for each field that explain the impact of leaving blank on the results

4] Completing only my coordinates, and supplying a "Minimum Altitude" of "10", plus leaving all fields from "Apparent Magnitude" through to "Object Coordinates" blank or with whatever is there initially, does generate a results table, but all with Null values for "Rise", "Transit" and "Set" columns.

Thanks again!

Regards,

skybsd

nytecam
Postmaster

Reged: 08/20/05

Loc: London UK
      #4069565 - 09/24/10 04:41 AM

Great utility - it's been bookmarked - thanks for sharing

Jim Curry
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 10/29/07

Loc: STL
Re: New Tool: DSO Browser new [Re: nytecam]
      #4069780 - 09/24/10 09:02 AM

Hmm, I don't see the "find my location" button.

Jim

sebagr

Re: New Tool: DSO Browser new [Re: Jim Curry]
      #4069837 - 09/24/10 09:43 AM

@Paul: yeah, privacy is always an issue, isn't it? For those who are wondering about this, please know all I did was to follow these guidelines: http://www.w3.org/TR/geolocation-API/

All the code related to geolocation is client-side, so you can see what's going on there: it's just a simple call to a browser's routine, and it's the browser itself who's finding your location, not the site. Then, the browser shares it with the site, that's all.

Note: doing this and posting the form to the site is exactly the same as entering that info manually, which is required anyway if you want to filter objects by your location

RE: sorting by set time, I believe that's fixed now - it was a problem due to migration to a new framework. Thanks for picking that up!

And your suggestion was noted, thanks. It'd be really useful to know the best dates to view an object, shouldn't be that hard to do (that's what I thought when I started with this and I went waaay wrong, so... )

@skybsd: Thanks for your suggestions, really appreciated!

Tooltips would be great indeed; being the programmer and having a pretty good picture of how it works internally makes me forget some times that it's not that obvious indeed. I'll add some kind of guidelines later.

Regarding 4], the rise/transit/set columns will only show if and only if the objects you're seeing actually cross the minimum altitude.

Depending on how you sort the results (maybe DEC?) you're seeing circumpolar objects first and there's logically no rise/set times for those. I should display the transit time for those anyway so I'll do that, thanks

That said, to be able to see exactly why you don't see rise/set times for some objects, I'd need to know your coordinates. If you want, feel free to use the contact form on the page pasting the current URL you're seeing (which includes all the filters and will allow me to actually see the issue) or PM me with it. Thanks!

@Jim: if you don't see the "Find my location" button is because your browser does not support it. There's no point in showing it at all in that chase, or is it?

I believe this is the list of browsers supporting geolocation: Firefox 3.5, Safari 5, Chrome 5, Opera 10.6 and above. Which browser are you using to see the site?

Carl Kolchak
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 08/02/06

Loc: Northeast, Florida
      #4070702 - 09/24/10 03:43 PM

Hi Sebastian,

Thanks for making it available for us. One suggestion for me is to allow another color scheme. I'm 50 years old and am having a hard time reading the page. Maybe you could include an option for an easy to read color format??

peace & clear skies,

stevecoe
"Astronomical Tourist"

Reged: 04/24/04

Loc: Arizona, USA
Re: New Tool: DSO Browser new [Re: Carl Kolchak]
      #4070739 - 09/24/10 03:55 PM

Once I gave you permission to use the data from the SAC database, you may also use the info I put into the documentation (SACDOC). It contains my explanation of each of the fields and what is in them. If you find it useful, or something you can start with and add onto, then please go ahead and include it on the website.

Enjoy;
Steve Coe

sebagr

Re: New Tool: DSO Browser new [Re: stevecoe]
      #4070782 - 09/24/10 04:12 PM

@Carl: I see from an email I got from the contact form on the site that you found the 'Night mode' switch at the top right, so no further comments there. Glad you like it

@Steve: hi, and thanks again for letting me use the SAC DB

I'll probably add some bits of the documentation indeed. I believe the challenge here is to make something easy to use without bloating it with tons of text, input boxes, buttons, etc. (and I'm already failing somewhat in that aspect, so I'm planning to make that filters box neater).

That said, I'll probably add non-intrusive tooltips here and there, so those who have doubts can read them with a simple mouseover, and those who don't won't get their screen wasted with text they don't need to see.

Clear skies!

scott m
sage

Reged: 12/06/07

Loc: Hatfield Pa
      #4070968 - 09/24/10 05:27 PM

Quote:

Hi Sebastian,

Thanks for making it available for us. One suggestion for me is to allow another color scheme. I'm 50 years old and am having a hard time reading the page. Maybe you could include an option for an easy to read color format??

peace & clear skies,

If it's in red click the night mode button at the top.

uniondrone
Carpal Tunnel

#4071005 - 09/24/10 05:42 PM

Quote:

@Chuck: yeah, I've spotted that issue as well. The problem is that if you select a lower/upper bound to the surface brightness it automatically excludes all those objects without that info. I'm planning to add a pulldown, similar to the Magnitude section, giving the option to include/exclude those objects with unknown surface brightness.

The brightness sorter seems to work now. Excellent! Also, it seems that you fixed another issue that I didn't mention before: the object types in the check list had a habit of sometimes de-selecting themselves. It doesn't seem that they do it anymore.

Very nice, indeed! Oh, and by the way, welcome to Cloudy Nights!

Oh, one more thing: it seems that selecting by size only works for the large end of the range, i.e. you can only choose object that are smaller than the selected size. It would be nice to have the small end active as well, especially for planetary nebulae searches, where some are only a few arcseconds across. Thanks!

uniondrone
Carpal Tunnel

#4071020 - 09/24/10 05:48 PM

...and one more thing, it would be nice to be able to sort by constellation. Thanks again!

sebagr

#4071030 - 09/24/10 05:54 PM

Hey Chuck,

Thanks for your welcome!

Re: sizes, the small end seems to work fine for me. I've just tried selecting DSOs between 1 and 2 arcminutes, 30/60 and 200+ (min 200, max field empty) and in all cases worked just fine.

The thing is, those figures are in arcminutes. If you want to see < 1 arcminute objects, just set the max size to 1 arcminute and you're done.

Let me know if it's working now for you.

Maybe I should add more limits, say 10, 20 and 30 arcseconds... I'll do that in the next days, thanks for your feedback!

sebagr

#4071087 - 09/24/10 06:26 PM

Quote:

...and one more thing, it would be nice to be able to sort by constellation. Thanks again!

There you go, feature added!

Tim A.
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 09/19/07

Loc: 40 30'N 105 3'W
      #4071120 - 09/24/10 06:38 PM

Quote:

It wants to track my physical location - oh theres a winning attribute.

... I dont trust the programs intentions, but it could possibly be "OK". I just dont see why my other programs dont need to track me.

Sounds suspicious. Sorry.

Any web site that wants to know where you are located when browsing (roughly, according to IP address assignments) can and does know. Were you unaware of that?

Truly, anyone who is frightened by what this site was doing has no business being on the web.

Sorry.

sebagr

Re: New Tool: DSO Browser new [Re: Tim A.]
      #4074483 - 09/26/10 01:47 PM

Hi guys,

Just a quick message to let you know that I keep working on it.

I've just added a new feature: clicking on an object will take you to a new page where you can see detailed information plus an image of each object, using the Google Sky plugin - so you can actually see what that object is all about and browse its surroundings.

Clear skies,

S.

skybsd
Post Laureate

Reged: 02/01/08

#4074696 - 09/26/10 03:37 PM

Man - you're cooking

Fantastic work!

Regards,

skybsd

Jim Curry
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 10/29/07

Loc: STL
Re: New Tool: DSO Browser new [Re: skybsd]
      #4075821 - 09/27/10 06:26 AM

Sebagr:
I've been off for awhile, I use Explorer V8. I believe it supports auto geolocating due to the ads that scroll by when I'm on news websites.

Jim

sebagr

Re: New Tool: DSO Browser new [Re: Jim Curry]
      #4075936 - 09/27/10 09:06 AM

Quote:

Sebagr:
I've been off for awhile, I use Explorer V8. I believe it supports auto geolocating due to the ads that scroll by when I'm on news websites.

Jim

Hey Jim,

IE 8 does not support geolocation natively, only after installing Google Gears I believe, sorry

In fact, I'm not sure if IE 9 will support it either! They are soooo behind all other browsers...

If you see localized ads it's mainly because Google can get an approximate idea of your location using your IP address, but that's done server-side - i.e. not inside your browser but in the server when you request any resource, being a web page, image, etc.

Clear skies,
S.

azure1961p
Postmaster

Reged: 01/17/09

#4077117 - 09/27/10 07:46 PM

You know between the doublestar search engine in the Doublestar Forum and now this program in this forum I'm really armed for putting together a nights viewing.

If I were to suggest anything, and its perfect as is right now, I d think it ideal if with the onjects listed it also shows the number of the atlas pages they can be found on in Uranometria and Millenium. Now that means an awful lot of tedium - its not needed but its a thought.

I love the power of the program in putting a nights agenda together.

Pete

sebagr

Re: New Tool: DSO Browser new [Re: C_Moon]
      #4080870 - 09/29/10 02:59 PM

Quote:

One thing that would be useful, but perhaps it is not easy to do, would be to allow the user to pick an object, and then tell you the best dates to view based on altitude and time constraints (e.g., dates when M22 is >30 deg altitude between 1am and 3am).

Hey Paul,

I wanted to let you know that this is almost in place now.

If you make a search and click on 'more info' for any object, you'll see a new section telling you the best period of time to see that object at midnight from your location.

I'll add the ability to specify the transit hour in the near future.

Anyway, just a heads up.

Clear skies!

S.

sebagr

#4080872 - 09/29/10 03:00 PM

@Pete: thanks for your suggestion. Yeah, that'd be quite a pain to add, but it's worth keeping in mind.

Maybe in the future, when other stuff is done, I'll get my hands dirty with that.

ThreeD
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 12/23/08

Loc: Sacramento suburbs
      #4081813 - 09/29/10 09:57 PM

Almost done... Now can you turn it into a standlone app that doesn't need web access?

BTW, very cool tool. Thanks for sharing it.

sebagr

Re: New Tool: DSO Browser new [Re: ThreeD]
      #4081929 - 09/29/10 10:48 PM

Quote:

Almost done... Now can you turn it into a standlone app that doesn't need web access?

Ahh that'd be great for the field, right?

Indeed, but there are 2 BIG problems with desktop applications IMHO:

a) You need 1 version per Operating System (there are ways to do just 1 for many OSs but there are usually quite inefficient and ugly), whereas web apps are immediately available in all devices (I even tried DSO Browser on my iPhone and works great! )

b) Desktop apps are FAR more difficult to maintain and release. You see, if there's a problem with any version and many people downloaded it, there's nothing you can do about it until they download it again. However, web apps are amazing in this regard: you make an improvement and everybody gets it at once.

Granted, without an Internet connection you're screwed, but that's why I added that Print option so you can actually print your results and take them with you to the field

I'm planning to add some features involving users participation, for which some kind of web interaction is mandatory anyway.

Clear skies!

star drop
Snowed In

Reged: 02/02/08

Loc: Snow Plop, WNY
      #4082900 - 09/30/10 11:52 AM

Hi Sebastian and welcome to Cloudy Nights. Thank you for the very nice browser tool.

ThreeD
Pooh-Bah

#4083212 - 09/30/10 02:06 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Ahh that'd be great for the field, right?

Indeed, but there are 2 BIG problems with desktop applications IMHO:

a) You need 1 version per Operating System (there are ways to do just 1 for many OSs but there are usually quite inefficient and ugly), whereas web apps are immediately available in all devices (I even tried DSO Browser on my iPhone and works great! )

Java. Definitely not the pinnacle of efficiency but apps such as OpenOffice are written using it. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder -- if you are talking about the code itself C works for me.

Quote:

b) Desktop apps are FAR more difficult to maintain and release. You see, if there's a problem with any version and many people downloaded it, there's nothing you can do about it until they download it again. However, web apps are amazing in this regard: you make an improvement and everybody gets it at once.

I'm aware of this. I've been the lead software developer on successful consumer products such as "Snappy Video Snapshot" though I've tended to do much more embedded development during the last decade.

Quote:

Granted, without an Internet connection you're screwed, but that's why I added that Print option so you can actually print your results and take them with you to the field

Yup. That's what I'll be doing... Thanks again for sharing this tool.

uniondrone
Carpal Tunnel

Re: New Tool: DSO Browser new [Re: ThreeD]
      #4097460 - 10/06/10 07:44 PM

I just wanted to thank Sebastian again! This tool gets better and better.

Tele
sage

Reged: 11/01/05

Loc: Eastern Oklahoma
      #4098458 - 10/07/10 09:21 AM

Awesome looks like what I've been looking for ever since I got Windows 7 and NGCView quit working right.
Thanks

sebagr

Re: New Tool: DSO Browser new [Re: Tele]
      #4098596 - 10/07/10 10:39 AM

Hi guys,

Thanks for your comments

Keep checking regularly, more updates coming in the following weeks/months - including a user system to let you personalize the site, weekly email reminders for your favorite objects, etc

Cheers!

uniondrone
Carpal Tunnel

#4248139 - 12/14/10 12:22 PM

I just wanted to again bump this to the top. This is such a useful resource that I cannot give it enough recommendation.

Dave MitskyModerator
Postmaster

Reged: 04/08/02

Loc: PA, USA, Planet Earth
      #4248424 - 12/14/10 02:33 PM

I've made this a sticky post.

Dave Mitsky

uniondrone
Carpal Tunnel

Re: New Tool: DSO Browser new [Re: Dave Mitsky]
      #4248590 - 12/14/10 03:51 PM

Excellent!

shoeleprich
sage

Reged: 02/14/10

Loc: Maine: Land of the frozen
      #4385438 - 02/14/11 10:00 AM

This is a really nice tool. It looks like you've put a TON of work into it. I love everything on here. I only have two suggestions, if you have time, of course. Perhaps this would be a good idea: In the catalog search area, I think instead of choosing just one catalog or all of them, maybe you could make it so that we could choose two or three at the same time (ex Messier and NGC). Also, I have no clue how difficult this might be, but would it be possible to include a printable star chart, in addition to all the other info, showing the location of the object when you click on it? Overall, really awesome tool. I am definitely going to use this a lot.

Clear skies and welcome to CN!

Thanks,

sebagr

Re: New Tool: DSO Browser new [Re: shoeleprich]
      #4385549 - 02/14/11 10:52 AM

Hi Steve,

Thanks for your suggestions. As a matter of fact, those two are already in my list because other two people suggested them

However the star chart is kind of difficult, there are many other things to do before that. I'm just trying to have some free time to do them! Hopefully March will do...

Thanks again, and I'm glad you find it useful

Clear skies!

Sebastian.

shoeleprich
sage

Reged: 02/14/10

Loc: Maine: Land of the frozen
      #4385564 - 02/14/11 11:02 AM

You're welcome, and good luck on finding free time for this.

akadros

Reged: 03/06/11

Re: New Tool: DSO Browser new [Re: shoeleprich]
      #4518733 - 04/14/11 08:54 PM

Wow...great job on this! I have just made an Access database to help met track DSOs but this has a whole lot more information.

Kim2010
professor emeritus

Reged: 09/21/10

Re: New Tool: DSO Browser new [Re: akadros]
      #4521587 - 04/16/11 05:46 AM

Thanks for this!

ZeroID
sage

Reged: 04/21/10

Loc: Auckland, New Zealand
Re: New Tool: DSO Browser new [Re: Kim2010]
      #4548644 - 04/27/11 10:03 PM

Awesome tool, many thanks for your work.
I'll run it over wireless to the Ob.

clchildress
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 04/22/10

Loc: NW Georgia, USA
      #4604341 - 05/26/11 01:37 PM

Fantastic tool, Sebastian! Thank you so much for sharing it with us

Wildthing
sage

Reged: 11/07/07

Loc: Muncie, IN
Re: New Tool: DSO Browser new [Re: clchildress]
      #4632607 - 06/10/11 06:11 PM

Hi Sebastian:
Is this neat DSO Browser tool available as a download so as not to be dependent on Internet access while your out in the field?

This is a great program and not overly complicated.

Great Job!

sebagr

Re: New Tool: DSO Browser new [Re: Wildthing]
      #4632806 - 06/10/11 08:45 PM

Hi Donnie,

I'm glad you like the tool

I'm planning an offline version for the future, but first, I'll publish a new version soon with new interesting features, most of which wouldn't make sense offline (think uploading, mailing, comments, etc.)

Clear Skies!

S.

aezoss

Reged: 03/27/11

Loc: The Great White North
      #4712626 - 07/25/11 07:41 PM

Hi Sebastian,

Perhaps this has been mentioned already... have you considered adding CSV export to save the generated summary list to a file?

Should be fairly easy to implement and usable in the field using any spreadsheet app. For rapid searches or top down use a text editor or *nix awk, sed & grep would work just fine.

It's no substitute for an offline mode but could provide a relatively lightweight quick reference in situations where Internet connectivity is limited.

Not sure anyone else would find this useful but thought I'd throw it out there.

Best regards,
Lee

orion5570

Reged: 02/09/06

Loc: Carmel, IN
      #4790316 - 09/05/11 12:12 PM

Thanks for the awesome tool! I like the fact I canset magnitude to what my scope can handle. Would be cool to add popular scopes, especially for newbies and amatures. Thanks for your hard work!

cchapkido
sage

Reged: 02/25/10

Loc: MA
Re: New Tool: DSO Browser new [Re: orion5570]
      #4803299 - 09/12/11 09:28 AM

Great tool!

cardinals1225

Reged: 06/11/11

Loc: Fieldon, IL
Re: New Tool: DSO Browser new [Re: cchapkido]
      #4936232 - 11/26/11 06:54 PM

Great tool. This is just what I've been looking for...Thanks!

killdabuddha
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 08/26/11

Re: New Tool: DSO Browser new [Re: cardinals1225]
      #5057542 - 02/05/12 09:18 PM

Thank You! I was happy to find the Virtual Sky Assist, so just imagine how grateful we are for this.

Starhunter249
sage

Reged: 06/07/10

Re: New Tool: DSO Browser new [Re: killdabuddha]
      #5243613 - 05/28/12 10:59 AM

Wow! Thank you. This DSO tool is amazing. I bookmarked it as a favorite. Thank you again for your contribution to the world of amateur astronomy.

planet earth
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 09/07/10

Loc: Ontario Canada
      #5315475 - 07/13/12 05:51 AM

Quote:

Hi Sebastian,

peace & clear skies,

Nice,I like it. But I need a easier to read color scheme also!
Clear Skies
Sam

sebagr

Re: New Tool: DSO Browser new [Re: planet earth]
      #5318221 - 07/14/12 11:24 PM

Hi guys,

I've been quite busy in the past few months, but I'm slowly working on a new version in which the color scheme will be different (grey over black).

In the meantime, you'll see there's a "Switch night mode" button at the top right of the page. You can change the colors with it to black over white - quite classic and no style whatsoever but hopefully you'll find it better

Best,

S.

YogieOne

Reged: 10/31/10

Loc: South Australia
Re: New Tool: DSO Browser new [Re: killdabuddha]
      #5329390 - 07/22/12 07:39 AM

Just found this "App" Been wishing for some way of compiling a list that will be available for my viewing position, for the time I am/will be viewing any time I need one. This DSO Browser is exactly what I am looking for. Many thanks for making it available. I have bookmarked the site and added it to my favourites lists.
The only problem I have found (Just a minute one for not too many other people) is that my timezone (Adelaide, South Australia) is Plus 9 and a Half hours (+9.5 hours). There is not any timezone available - either 9 or 10.
Congrats, for a very good aplication, and thank you.

Y/O (YogieOne)

dan777
professor emeritus

Reged: 11/16/07

Loc: Indiana
      #5333878 - 07/24/12 09:58 PM

This is awesome Sebastian, thanks for your effort.
I don't know how I missed this for the past two years. Somebody should have kicked me!

Tim Gilliland
professor emeritus

Reged: 03/28/09

Loc: Sand Springs Okla.
Re: New Tool: DSO Browser new [Re: dan777]
      #5334239 - 07/25/12 06:41 AM

Thank you very much! This is going to be a great help!

habitforming

Reged: 09/04/12

Loc: KY
Re: New Tool: DSO Browser new [Re: Tim Gilliland]
      #5504832 - 11/05/12 12:42 AM

Just wanted to say thanks for a terrific reference tool! Has there been any consideration of making it into an android app?

Jeff Smith
professor emeritus

Reged: 04/06/10

Loc: Chicago
      #5543499 - 11/28/12 09:50 AM

Bookmarked. Thank you

Kimbo2112

Reged: 08/12/12

Re: New Tool: DSO Browser new [Re: Jeff Smith]
      #5547101 - 11/30/12 12:25 PM

Love this...thank you!

ThreeD
Pooh-Bah

Re: New Tool: DSO Browser new [Re: Kimbo2112]
      #5547145 - 11/30/12 12:45 PM

Yup cool tool.

Any chance of adding an option to save a list in a format that can be imported by apps such as Sky Safari?

Louietheflyisme
professor emeritus

Reged: 06/17/13

Loc: Australia
      #5996020 - 07/29/13 06:52 AM

This is a really neat tool! Thanks a lot for it!

ICallHimGamblor

Reged: 06/24/13

Re: New Tool: DSO Browser new [Re: Louietheflyisme]
      #5996192 - 07/29/13 09:37 AM

Love this tool.

Maybe it's just the way I work in browsers, but when someone returns a list to me, I like to right click on some of them and open them up in separate tabs. Then I can look at several items simultaneously and compare them. It also allows me to work quicker without having to constantly re-render my initial list page.

Can you change the way your object links are generated so that you can work in multiple tabs?

sebagr

Re: New Tool: DSO Browser new [Re: ICallHimGamblor]
      #6045097 - 08/25/13 12:23 PM

Quote:

Maybe it's just the way I work in browsers, but when someone returns a list to me, I like to right click on some of them and open them up in separate tabs. Then I can look at several items simultaneously and compare them. It also allows me to work quicker without having to constantly re-render my initial list page.

Can you change the way your object links are generated so that you can work in multiple tabs?

Hi! You can do so by middle-clicking the "details" link in the right side of the list

Clear skies!

S.

ICallHimGamblor

Reged: 06/24/13

#6045412 - 08/25/13 03:35 PM

I am so confused. Now I can right-click and open in new tab, but I SWEAR I tried that before in several browsers and it didn't work. Weird.

WadeVC
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/02/05

Loc: Lodi, California,
      #6070615 - 09/09/13 02:36 AM

Not only is this awesome and I have bookmarked it; I have also left a link to it from my Backyard Astronomy Facebook Page for others as well.

Just awesome!!!!!

nosmoke

Reged: 11/06/13

Loc: Calgary, Alberta
Re: New Tool: DSO Browser new [Re: WadeVC]
      #6227740 - 12/01/13 07:05 PM

Hi, very interesting web site! One question:

I don't quite understand how "brightness" is calculated. It is apparently (magnitude)/(area of the object). Or, as the web page states, "magnitude per squared arc second". So, a higher magnitude value (i.e. less light) would produce a higher "brightness" value. But, higher area (i.e. lower brightness for a given amount of light) would produce a lower "brightness" value. The two seem inconsistent. It seems to me it should be calculated as 1/((magnitude)*(area of the object)). Where am I going wrong here??

Edited by nosmoke (12/01/13 07:08 PM)

gregory93

Reged: 07/03/12

Re: New Tool: DSO Browser new [Re: nosmoke]
      #6273193 - 12/26/13 07:43 AM

How do you sort by constellation?I clicked on AND and now it sorted it alphabetically i think

It would be nice if you could add a "show all" button.Someone may need to print all the info of a category (for example galaxies in andromeda). That would be easier.

kt4hx

Reged: 01/21/09

Loc: Fredericksburg, Va
Re: New Tool: DSO Browser new [Re: gregory93]
      #6441101 - 04/01/14 09:30 AM

In case some have not noticed, Sebastian has rolled out the new DSO-Browser.com. He has the image issue fixed, and he updated the overall look of the site. I think it looks good, and seems to run a bit smoother now as well. I hope everyone will check it out. You can click on this link to my favorite open cluster to give it a look.

http://dso-browser.com/dso/info/NGC/2362

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
4 registered and 8 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave Mitsky, Phillip Creed, okieav8r 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 17879

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics