Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Observing >> Deep Sky Observing

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)
Carol L

Reged: 07/05/04

Loc: Tomahawk, WI 45N//89W
Re: About to make an assault on the Horsehead new [Re: Rick Woods]
      #6341147 - 01/28/14 02:23 PM

Quote:

And bigger than I expected.

That's what I thought, too - widefield images make it look like a tiny little notch. Glad you finally bagged it!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Sarkikos
Postmaster

Reged: 12/18/07

Loc: Scotophobe Maryland, USA
      #6341151 - 01/28/14 02:24 PM

Quote:

Our plan was to use the 48mm Brandon, but the background sky was so black (a popular feature of Brandons) that we couldn't make it out. Pop in the 40mm, with its lighter background sky, and for some reason that made the difference.

Let's see, now I wonder what could be the reason? I'll just say that I began leaving my Brandons home whenever I went to the dark site.

Quote:

We compared the view to the U2000 chart, made sketches of what we saw, and they matched. So we're calling it a success.
But boy, is it faint! And bigger than I expected.

Congratulations! I've been observing for over 40 years and I never saw the Horsehead until last Winter. To get a good idea of the scale of the Horsehead, I like to switch over to the Burning Bush Nebula se of Alnitak (Zeta Orionis). The central dark area is about the size of the Horsehead ... but a lot easier to see.

Mike

Rick Woods
Postmaster

Reged: 01/27/05

Loc: Inner Solar System
Re: About to make an assault on the Horsehead new [Re: Sarkikos]
      #6344537 - 01/30/14 04:26 AM

Quote:

Let's see, now I wonder what could be the reason? I'll just say that I began leaving my Brandons home whenever I went to the dark site.

Mike, I know you're baiting me for some reason, but I really don't understand what you mean. What are you saying? Or implying? If you don't plan on planetary viewing, you probably won't miss the Brandons.
But, the 31 Nagler didn't show the Horsehead, either. Maybe you'd want to leave that one home, too?

Sarkikos
Postmaster

#6344657 - 01/30/14 08:15 AM

Rick,

No, I didn't intend to bait ... maybe tease a little.

IME, the Brandons do not have the best light transmission. Your observation about the 48mm seems to confirm that. A black background is not necessarily an indication of high light transmission. Often it shows just the opposite. I've seen that the XW's, Delos, Sterling Plossls have higher light transmission than the Brandons. This shouldn't be surprising given the Brandon's simpler coatings.

Brandons for planet, lunar and double stars? Yes! For deep deep sky? No.

But at this point I've sold all my Brandons. I have other eyepieces for planet/lunar. I had too many eyepieces. I had to reduce the troops. Now I'm down to a small elite force of only 40 eyepieces.

Mike

Rick Woods
Postmaster

#6346345 - 01/30/14 11:55 PM

The thing is, when I've compared before, the 48mm B showed fainter stars and better contrast than the 40mm WF. Plus, we had an h-Beta filter on, which sort of renders any light-transmission comparisons irrelevant. So I can't explain it, except to say that the 40mm is the one for the Horsehead.

Sarkikos
Postmaster

#6346593 - 01/31/14 07:16 AM

I don't think the h-Beta would make light-transmission comparisons irrelevant. Those eyepieces with better light transmission should still show objects brighter. If anything, the filter will make transmission differences more obvious. That was the effect I noticed. I think that was also what you experienced.

Mike

Sarkikos
Postmaster

#6346645 - 01/31/14 08:02 AM

Quote:

The thing is, when I've compared before, the 48mm B showed fainter stars and better contrast than the 40mm WF.

The WF's go back to 1982. I'm not sure if they have superior light transmission, either. Do they have that "coffee" tone?

Mike

Rick Woods
Postmaster

#6349835 - 02/01/14 07:17 PM

Not that I've ever noticed.

DG Aucoin

Reged: 03/20/13

Re: About to make an assault on the Horsehead new [Re: deepskydarrell]
      #6400169 - 02/27/14 01:02 PM

I observed IC434/B33 back in 1987 with a Coulter I 13" Telescope, a 9mm Nagler and an H-beta filter. I could just detect the nebulous curtain being bisected by the dark nebula.

I observed it again last weekend in my C11, with an 8.8mm ep and an H-beta filter. Could just barely see the curtain and used averted vision to just barely detect B33.

jrbarnett
Eyepiece Hooligan

Reged: 02/28/06

Loc: Petaluma, CA
Re: About to make an assault on the Horsehead new [Re: David Knisely]
      #6401853 - 02/28/14 12:39 PM

I'll be giving it a whirl from the Sonoran desert at the end of March in a C9.25. You've encouraged me greatly.

- Jim

Sarkikos
Postmaster

Re: About to make an assault on the Horsehead new [Re: jrbarnett]
      #6401875 - 02/28/14 12:49 PM

The end of March will be a little late in the season for Horsehead hunting.

Mike

jrbarnett
Eyepiece Hooligan

Reged: 02/28/06

Loc: Petaluma, CA
      #6404665 - 03/01/14 09:38 PM

We'll see.

It's on my supplemental MM menu. I'll hunt for it during the M42, M42, M78 and M79 part of the Marathon search sequence.

I'll be below 34N.

- Jim

Sarkikos
Postmaster

Re: About to make an assault on the Horsehead new [Re: jrbarnett]
      #6405658 - 03/02/14 01:20 PM

I made my first attempt at the Messier Marathon last year here at 39N. It was easy sneezy with Sky Safari Pro on my Android tablet, using the program as an on-the-fly star hopping guide and memory jogger (no fancy electronics connection to a mount). IIRC, I completed about 88 with no gaps before I called it a night due to cold and fatigue. I'm certain I would have bagged them all if I'd stayed at the dark site all night.

Mike

Vondragonnoggin
Post Laureate

Reged: 02/21/10

Loc: Southern CA, USA
      #6444705 - 04/03/14 03:06 AM

I just caught first sight with real recognition of it earlier tonight and a prominent flame nebula in my 6" mak with .5x reducer and IIE with 7nm H-Alpha.

Able to just fit flame and HH in same view. Backyard in LP

Worked better to see the detail by sort of rocking view slowly a little side to side like bagging galaxies, then once found the notch, could just make out head curve with nose, but still kind of hard to get any real detail. That region has a nice misty neb though and flame was easy to make out lighter bands separated by dark streaks.

Probably darker skies than backyard or faster focal ratio or bigger scope could have got some further detail.

Was pretty awesome to see it finally. First time solid view though and it was great. On the other hand, moving the scope down a bit to take in M42 was photograph like details. Crazy.

Astronomy rocks!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)

Extra information
4 registered and 11 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave Mitsky, Phillip Creed, okieav8r 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 15281

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics