Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu uh, User

Observing >> Deep Sky Observing

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)
N. Ham

Reged: 02/14/11

Loc: GA
About to make an assault on the Horsehead
      #4919547 - 11/16/11 06:10 PM

I first remember looking disappointingly for the horsehead with a Kmart 3" Newtonian back in 1972. Not sure what went wrong, but even from dark skies I could never make it out. This spring I purchased an 18' Dob and just got in an early Christmas order for an H-beta Lumicon filter from Astronomics before they were seasonally back ordered.

Rain and clouds should be out of Middle GA and the moon old enough to allow a shot at it this weekend.

Wish me luck, I am going in!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
cliff mygatt
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/27/09

Loc: Kitsap County, WA
Re: About to make an assault on the Horsehead new [Re: N. Ham]
      #4919736 - 11/16/11 08:27 PM

Best of luck, I have bagged it at a dark sky site with my 12 inch Zambuto. I took me about an hour as I was just off the field by about a degree, once I figured that out, there is was! I put in my H-beta and sure enough. It was nice to see visually and you should have no problem with an 18 inch scope. Good Luck!

azure1961p
Postmaster

Reged: 01/17/09

Loc: USA
Re: About to make an assault on the Horsehead new [Re: cliff mygatt]
      #4919757 - 11/16/11 08:38 PM

The 18" from a decent 6.2-5 site oght to get it for you without question along with the filter. The dark intrusion, while subtle is unmistakeable.
I had my doubts before looking as it was my first visual but it was done with certainty. Very rewarding view. Intrusion seemed more thumblike than horse but the view was had while standing in a line. Im confident with more time and some otger oculars the horses nose woulve popped.

I envy your upcoming observations.

Pete

jeff heck
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 01/16/06

Loc: stl,mo.
Re: About to make an assault on the Horsehead new [Re: azure1961p]
      #4919814 - 11/16/11 09:05 PM

With an 18" and a H-beta filter from a good dark site you should need no luck. What ep will you be using?
I saw it Halloween night with my new 16" from a green dark site. A 24Pan gave the best view as the exit pupil was larger than with a 13E.

stevecoe
"Astronomical Tourist"

Reged: 04/24/04

Loc: Arizona, USA
Re: About to make an assault on the Horsehead new [Re: jeff heck]
      #4920012 - 11/16/11 11:14 PM Attachment (416 downloads)

Here is an image I mooched from Chris Schur. Notice the double star just to the right of the Horsehead in this image. It is key for me to find the open notch in IC 434, the streamer that is the backlight for the dark Horsehead.

I hope that helps;
Steve Coe

Carol L

Reged: 07/05/04

Loc: Tomahawk, WI 45N//89W
      #4920031 - 11/16/11 11:25 PM

Good luck! Finally got it myself last February... it's not much to look at but it's a milestone observation.

Dave MitskyModerator
Postmaster

Reged: 04/08/02

Loc: PA, USA, Planet Earth
      #4920136 - 11/17/11 02:04 AM

An eyepiece producing a 5mm exit pupil seems to work well on B33.

http://home.ix.netcom.com/~bwilson2/barbarasweb/MEyepiece.htm

Dave Mitsky

marcink
sage

Reged: 08/01/07

Loc: Lombard (Chicagoland), IL
Re: About to make an assault on the Horsehead new [Re: Dave Mitsky]
      #4920999 - 11/17/11 02:48 PM

I attacked it many times with 8" under very dark skies and failed. Oh well, I gotta speed up my ATM 16" project...

blb
Post Laureate

Reged: 11/25/05

Loc: Piedmont NC
Re: About to make an assault on the Horsehead new [Re: marcink]
      #4921057 - 11/17/11 03:27 PM

Much more important than the size of your telescope is the quality of the sky. It really needs to be a dark transparent sky to stand a chance. If you can't see the Flame Nebula, NGC 2024, you will never see the very faint nebula that B33 is in. If you can see NGC 2024 then pan south to the faint nebula NGC 2023 around a magnitude 7.8 star. If this nebula can be seen, then it's a go for the Horsehead. Pan slowely west to a really faint nebula running north to south. If you can see this nebula, IC 434, then continue south to the Horsehead. It will be a dark notch in IC 434. You will stand your best chance using a h-beta filter and an eyepiece that will give you an exit pupil of between 4mm to 5mm's. Just remember DARK SKY.

John K
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/26/05

Loc: Vernon BC Canada
Re: About to make an assault on the Horsehead new [Re: blb]
      #4921433 - 11/17/11 06:55 PM

I bagged this nebula last summer with my 15" scope and a UHC filter.

N. Ham

Re: About to make an assault on the Horsehead new [Re: John K]
      #4921574 - 11/17/11 08:22 PM

I'll be using a 31mm or 22 mm Nagler.

Edited by N. Ham (11/17/11 08:24 PM)

N. Ham

#4921585 - 11/17/11 08:29 PM

Just want to reach this milestone, since it was one of the first things I ever looked for. I am not expecting it to knock my sox off. To have seen so many photos of this years ago, and never a note about you'll never see this with less than a really large telescope for a 10 year old made me wonder what I and my Kmart scope were doing wrong. It was only about fifteen years ago that i realized how faint this is.

Feidb
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 10/09/09

Loc: Nevada
      #4921722 - 11/17/11 09:57 PM

The last time I saw it was from Furnace Creek in Death Valley in January, 2011. It was completely invisible in regular light but as soon as I plugged in the H-beta, it was plain as day. I could see the horse's snout and everything, not just a dark notch. I tried again in October but the skies were too muddy and I never put the filter in. Should have, but I had other targets in mind that night and got lazy. There is still time. I was more interested in the Witch Head. Never saw it either. I've had great luck seeing the Horsehead at 57X, 70X and 87X.

Rick Woods
Postmaster

Reged: 01/27/05

Loc: Inner Solar System
Re: About to make an assault on the Horsehead new [Re: Feidb]
      #4921724 - 11/17/11 10:02 PM

I'm going to try again this year too. I saw it *once* with the help of averted imagination (well maybe a little better than that). But, after having cataracts removed, I'm hoping to see it better now. Everything else sure looks better!

David Knisely
Postmaster

Reged: 04/19/04

Loc: southeastern Nebraska
      #4922045 - 11/18/11 03:21 AM

I once viewed the Horsehead in my 9.25 inch SCT with the H-Beta filter from my magnitude 5.6 driveway here in-town. It was more of a notch than something with a lot of structure, but I was a little startled that I managed to do it from here. Clear skies to you.

Dain
Boogie Man

Reged: 03/24/05

Loc: ADK Mountains/NGC 4565
Re: About to make an assault on the Horsehead new [Re: David Knisely]
      #4923112 - 11/18/11 05:05 PM

I was fortunate enough to bag the Horsehead twice a few years ago in my 8" f/6 from a relatives property in some great skies. I haven't had the 'scope out there since. I'm planning to do it again soon! Maybe this new moon..

Keith Rivich

Reged: 06/17/11

Loc: Cypress, Tx
Re: About to make an assault on the Horsehead new [Re: Dain]
      #4925093 - 11/19/11 09:45 PM

I have shown the horse-head to many "horse-head first timers" and the two comments I hear the most are: It's much bigger then I thought it was gonna be" and "it's upside down". Keep those two things in mind and you will have no trouble!

blb
Post Laureate

Re: About to make an assault on the Horsehead new [Re: Keith Rivich]
      #4925151 - 11/19/11 10:22 PM

That is exactly what I thought last year when I observed it. I thought it would be much smaller than it was.

Matt2003
Post Laureate

Reged: 04/22/10

#4927054 - 11/20/11 10:47 PM

Dain,

Go for it guy! After missing the SNs, you must feel a need to get some serious challenges done.
And oh, an 8 inch? I wasn't going to even attempt it. Of course, it is out of the question from home. Ft. Davis? Maybe. Some where in South West Texas, anyway.

Clear skies & dark!
Matt

deepskydarrell

Reged: 03/09/08

Loc: Abbotsford, BC Canada
Re: About to make an assault on the Horsehead new [Re: Matt2003]
      #4927183 - 11/21/11 01:28 AM

I agree with blb. When the Flame looks good, the Horsehead is there. I hop by following the centre of the flame and arc through NGC 2023 and keep curving into the HH. And yes, it's not too impressive and it's bigger than expected.

DSD.

Matt2003
Post Laureate

Reged: 04/22/10

Re: About to make an assault on the Horsehead new [Re: deepskydarrell]
      #4927850 - 11/21/11 01:30 PM

Darrell,

Which scope did you use for your view? I'm thinking you used the 16 inch, but given what was said up there, I'm not entirely sure..

Clear Skies,
Matt

blb
Post Laureate

Re: About to make an assault on the Horsehead new [Re: Matt2003]
      #4928034 - 11/21/11 03:04 PM

Given a dark enough sky, he could see it in both the 8" or the 16".

bgman
journeyman

Reged: 02/15/09

#4928065 - 11/21/11 03:22 PM

My 1st view (after many unsuccessful tries!) was thru a 12" dob and I realized that it was much bigger than I expected. I use the two small stars that stevecoe mentioned in his post to "lock in". I have tried and seen it many times since then and it is always on my "list" any time I am out observing and it is visible. Dark skies and transparency make the difference on the this object for sure!

Will

siriusandthepup
sage

Reged: 02/14/06

Loc: Central Texas, USA
Re: About to make an assault on the Horsehead new [Re: Carol L]
      #4928245 - 11/21/11 05:31 PM

Quote:

Good luck! Finally got it myself last February... it's not much to look at but it's a milestone observation.

Check out Carol's link to her sketch. That's EXACTLY what I've seen with my 16" and an H-Beta filter. Great job on the sketch Carol.

To see the horsey's nose always seemed to take a larger scope. A friend's 28" showed the nose pretty well.

deepskydarrell

Reged: 03/09/08

Loc: Abbotsford, BC Canada
Re: About to make an assault on the Horsehead new [Re: siriusandthepup]
      #4928779 - 11/21/11 11:23 PM

Matt,

I've been predominately using my 16 inch. About ten years ago I was up above a foggy inversion layer with my 8 inch and saw the Flame like I've never seen it since. Tried so hard for the HH but didn't have any filter. Still waiting for those conditions with the 16 but winter observing on the Wet Coast is rare.

DSD.

Carol L

Re: About to make an assault on the Horsehead new [Re: siriusandthepup]
      #4929263 - 11/22/11 10:08 AM

Quote:

Check out Carol's link to her sketch. That's EXACTLY what I've seen with my 16" and an H-Beta filter. Great job on the sketch Carol.

To see the horsey's nose always seemed to take a larger scope. A friend's 28" showed the nose pretty well.

Thanks Ed, it basically looked like a dark thumbprint in a very light dusting of talcum powder. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a more favorable chance to see it this winter... the transparency that night wasn't the best, and the temp was 6F with a light wind.

JoeR
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 03/07/10

Loc: Columbus, OH
      #4933139 - 11/24/11 03:13 PM

I saw it last night for the first time! It was my first trip to a dark site. Green zone above average seeing. I had my 11" SCT but couldn't see anything due to the corrector and EPs fogged up from the frost. My friend had his 18" Obsession dob with an H-Beta filter. I could easily see the IC434 nebula edge, quickly scanned along and there it was. Very clear nose and all! I could even faintly see a little filament detail for a brief second.

David Knisely
Postmaster

Re: About to make an assault on the Horsehead new [Re: JoeR]
      #4933722 - 11/25/11 01:47 AM

I had it pretty well last night in both an 8 inch f/5 Newtonian and a 14 inch f/4.6 Newtonian using the H-Beta filter. In the 8 inch, it was more of a notch in an extremely dim band of nebulosity, but it the 14 inch, it was pretty obvious. The DGM Optics NPB also showed it easly in the 14 inch, although the H-Beta provided a better view. Indeed, with the Lumicon H-Beta, at 52x (1.338 degree true field), I could see both some of the brighter two filaments of the Flame Nebula (NGC 2024) and the Horsehead at the same time, which made for a fairly pretty picture. The "snout" was also visible, and the Horsehead itself was even visible with the Orion Skyglow filter, so it was definitely a great night. Clear skies to you.

Feidb
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 10/09/09

Loc: Nevada
      #4938091 - 11/27/11 08:10 PM

Tried last night but all I could see was a faint hint of IC-434 with the H-beta plugged in at 102X. Couldn't see it at all at 70X. Also couldn't see the Flame Nebula except a faint haze around the stars there. It was just too low on the horizon when I tried. My friend had both of them plain as day in his Mallincam.

PhilH
sage

Loc: Long Island, NY
Re: About to make an assault on the Horsehead new [Re: Feidb]
      #4942099 - 11/30/11 05:49 AM

EdZ over in the Binocular Forum asked that I join in the discussion here to mention my success at seeing the Horsehead through a pair of Fujinon 10x70 binoculars. It was many years ago at the Winter Star Party with a pair of H-Beta filters taped to the eyepieces. The binoculars were not mine, but rather Tom Lorenzin's from NC. He has quite the eye! I was also able to see it that same night through my own 11x80's using the same technique. What a kick!!

You can read full details in my February 2011 Binocular Universe e-column right here on CN.

FirstSight
Duke of Deneb

Reged: 12/26/05

Loc: Raleigh, NC
      #4948953 - 12/04/11 12:08 AM

Quote:

Wish me luck, I am going in!

Be aware that the reason many people miss spotting the Horsehead, even with ample aperture, dark enough skies and a decent H-Beta filter is that though they pick up the start of the faint line of IC 434's nebulosity at Zeta Orionis and are able to follow it out a bit, it seemingly fades out on them before they get to anything that seems even remotely plausible as the "Horsehead"...and fail to realize that this "fade-out" point is actually the start of the Horsehead's "shoulder" (!!!) Looking carefully a bit further down the line from where IC 434 apparently "vanished", try to pick up the point where it subtly resumes (that's the other shoulder-side to the "head"). Look carefully, and you may then see the faint outlines of the "neck" on either side extending at a sharp bend up from the "shoulder" (indeed the sight is more like the faint outline of a blackened-out thumbprint indentation). Having sighted this, if you have patience and a good, dark, transparent night, you may then pick up the outline of the horse's "snout" extending in one direction from the neck. It won't be anywhere remotely as vivid or close a resemblance to a "horsehead" as appears in astrophotos, but you'll have seen the real-deal available from a visual observing standpoint. Heck, once you recognize even the indentation of the neck unmistakenly, you'll have "seen" the Horsehead as well is available under good, but less than perfect conditions on a majority of nights.

BTW: if you have Kepple & Sanner's "Night Sky Observer's Guide" handy, there's an extremely helpful photograph of the visual landmarks for finding the horsehead, PARTICULARLY the asterism of two stars that form a near-right triangle with the horsehead's shoulder at the third vertex of the triangle.

blb
Post Laureate

Re: About to make an assault on the Horsehead new [Re: FirstSight]
      #4948982 - 12/04/11 12:25 AM

How true Chris, how true. I have told this in the past but I will once more. Some six or seven years ago now while attending the Mid-Atlantic Star Party, I was looking at the Flame Nebula, NGC 2024, with my C11 and a UHC filter, when I noticed IC 434. I followed it to where it ended like you said and even showed it to some other observers. I was so thrilled to see this faint nebula that I never thought about the Horse Head Nebula. Only if I had gone across to the other side of where the nebula reappeared I would have probably seen the Horse Head, but I didn't. I have kicked myself many times over that.

Dave MitskyModerator
Postmaster

#4949059 - 12/04/11 02:01 AM

I caught a few fleeting glimpses of B33 on Thursday night through my 10" Sky-Watcher Collapsible Dob, a 19mm Panoptic, and a borrowed H-beta filter.

Dave Mitsky

jgibson1@emich
professor emeritus

Reged: 06/11/06

Loc: Tucson, AZ
      #4953829 - 12/06/11 07:41 PM

The quality of skies is critical in spotting B33. I have tried time and time again from my dark sky site in central lower Michigan with my 12" f/5 dob and a not so dark sky site near Lapeer, MI with a 25" dob. I have to date never seen B33 with or without my H-Beta filter in Michigan.
This was until about two weeks ago. I was observing from Goblin Valley State Park in central Utah and decided to check out the flame. I was observing with the 12" f/5 dob and 17mm Nagler (~90x). The flame was bright and obvious. Much more so than I had ever seen in MI. In fact everything I looked at that night or any night while in the southwest looked leaps and bounds better than any good night in Michigan. I decided that I would swing the scope south where B33 should be. I assumed I would see nothing. To my astonishment I saw a dark notch in what appeared to be the faint glow of a nebula. I stared at it for some time. I thought I was seeing things. I swung to a different object that I was familiar with to make sure my eyes were ok. Swung back to B33 and there it was again. I tried this every night I observed during my trip. This included a night of observing from 10,300 feet just below MRO in New Mexico and it was easily detectable without a filter.

This observation was a highlight of my trip and second only to my observations of Quasar 3C273 and just ahead of my spotting of Pluto. It isnt the most amazing thing visually but definitely a hell of a challenge and highly rewarding.

Armed with your H-Beta filter you should have no problem spotting this nebula. For kicks and giggles you may want to try the Cocoon Nebula before it gets too low early in the night. This nebula was easily visible in my 12 dob at ~90x with no filter. The dark nebula around it was amazing in the dark skies of central Utah and New Mexico.

Clear Skies,
Jason

Cames
sage

Reged: 08/04/08

Re: About to make an assault on the Horsehead new [Re: jgibson1@emich]
      #4955232 - 12/07/11 03:21 PM

IC 434 reminds me of an aurora whose emanations appear somewhat polarized. Because of this unlikely and admittedly debatable characteristic, its detection is most readily accomplished (it appears most intense) during interval between 45 minutes before and after the nebula reaches its highest point above the horizon on any given night. You can begin looking for its location well ahead of time but you have the best chance of detecting its glow within that 1.5 hour window around culmination.

David Knisely
Postmaster

Re: About to make an assault on the Horsehead new [Re: Cames]
      #4955416 - 12/07/11 05:25 PM

Quote:

IC 434 reminds me of an aurora whose emanations appear somewhat polarized. Because of this unlikely and admittedly debatable characteristic, its detection is most readily accomplished (it appears most intense) during interval between 45 minutes before and after the nebula reaches its highest point above the horizon on any given night. You can begin looking for its location well ahead of time but you have the best chance of detecting its glow within that 1.5 hour window around culmination.

Well, it is more a case of overcoming local extinction conditions rather than some kind of polarization issue. I would broaden that viewing time interval somewhat depending on where you are in the world. Under good conditions, from about 40 degrees north latitude, I have seen the Horsehead in my 10 inch f/5.6 Newtonian when it was only about 35 degrees above the southeastern horizon, so at least for me, trying for the object is best done in a four hour window centered on its time on the meridian (up to about two hours before or after transit). Indeed, one clear but cold late fall night when some of the SCTs in our observing group were getting frosted over, a friend of mine had his 8 inch f/5 on the Horsehead when it was only about 25 degrees above the eastern horizon and we could still just see it with the H-Beta filter. Clear skies to you.

Akarsh Simha
sage

Reged: 03/27/07

Loc: Austin, TX, USA
      #4957378 - 12/08/11 08:17 PM

Wow @ the polarization argument.

I find it hard to believe that polarization would be significant for visual observation, but it's certainly true that any sort of scatterer is polarization sensitive, just like why the blue sky is highly polarized. Need to think about this and do some experiments. However, it's most likely airmass that's the most important factor, which is why everything appears best near culmination.

Carol L

Re: About to make an assault on the Horsehead new [Re: Akarsh Simha]
      #4987890 - 12/28/11 01:02 AM

The transparency was above average on Monday night (12-26) so i decided to try for the Horsehead with the 8"SCT and H-Beta filter.

IC 434 wasn't too difficult, and appeared to be a 'brightening' of the sky rather than a glow. Detecting B33 was a bit harder. I kept my eye moving around the fov until a large faint shadow momentarily popped into my averted vision's 'sweet spot'. A bit of OTA tapping coaxed out a few more sightings.

Out of curiosity, i switched to the UHC filter. IC 434 appeared to be the same dimness, and although B33 was more difficult (than with the H-Beta filter), it was definitely there. One thing for sure. No matter which filter was used, it helped tremendously to know exactly what to look for, and exactly where to look for it.

northernontario
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/01/09

Loc: Porcupine, Ontario Canada
      #4988907 - 12/28/11 06:01 PM

I have been taking a few wild stabs at it myself this season...no luck so far. But there sure are some pretty stars in the area.

I am using a UHC filter and my 16 f/4.5 Dob. I did see a bit of nebula in the area the other night, but no Horse Head.

If I can brave the -25 Celsius tonight....

jake

blb
Post Laureate

Re: About to make an assault on the Horsehead new [Re: northernontario]
      #4988927 - 12/28/11 06:17 PM

Jake, often times the nebula IC 434 is little more than a faint brightening of the sky. The horsehead nebula will be the absence of that sky brightening, it's a dark nebula. If you can see the nebula IC 434, then follow it south untill it appears to end and continue on to where it picks back up in about 5 to 6 arc minutes. If you can do that, then see if you can follow the edge of the absence of nebula using averted vision. That absince of nebula is the Horsehead.

northernontario
Pooh-Bah

#4988960 - 12/28/11 06:36 PM

Thanks for the advice Buddy.

I am going to take another shot at it tonight.

It will be cold, but seeing and transparancy will be above average. The last time I saw the little bit of Nebula transparancy was also above average and it was also cold.

I'll post my results.

Thank you.

jake

Carol L

#4989331 - 12/28/11 11:50 PM Attachment (234 downloads)

Quote:

If you can see the nebula IC 434, then follow it south untill it appears to end and continue on to where it picks back up in about 5 to 6 arc minutes.

I did it a bit backwards with the 8"SCT.
Instead of following IC434, i first determined the exact location of the Horsehead.

As indicated in the attached 16LB sketch, the Horsehead is a corner of a triangle formed with two similar-magnitude stars. One of the stars has a dimmer companion, so it's easy to determine which stars to use for the triangle.

After determining the exact location of B33, i settled down and waited until IC434 seemed as bright as it was going to get. Then it was just a matter of using the stars as guideposts, and letting my averted vision detect the (rather large) break in IC434's faint luminosity.

MikeRatcliff
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 06/12/04

Loc: Redlands, CA
      #4990407 - 12/29/11 03:31 PM

Two nights ago the Horsehead and bright nebula were the best I had seen. I could see some light under the nose area, making the usual-to-me blob shape, as shown in Carol's nice sketch, a little more like the horse head shape seen in pictures. This was with a 16" with an H-Beta. This view was confirmed with another 20" scope and several other observers, also with the H-beta. Two sky meters were showing 21.4. Transparency seemed pretty good, and the zodiacal light from the western horizon up to Jupiter was easy to see.

Edited by MikeRatcliff (12/29/11 03:32 PM)

northernontario
Pooh-Bah

Re: About to make an assault on the Horsehead new [Re: MikeRatcliff]
      #4993919 - 12/31/11 12:06 PM

On the night of Dec 28th, I tried again. I was able to see a slight string of nebula, I tried to follow it to the correct area, but it dissappeared on me.

I am using an Omega NPB filter.

No heartaches however. The thrill of the chase outweighs any dissappointment.

jake

David Knisely
Postmaster

Re: About to make an assault on the Horsehead new [Re: northernontario]
      #4994381 - 12/31/11 03:38 PM

Quote:

On the night of Dec 28th, I tried again. I was able to see a slight string of nebula, I tried to follow it to the correct area, but it dissappeared on me.

I am using an Omega NPB filter.

No heartaches however. The thrill of the chase outweighs any dissappointment.

jake

While I have seen the Horsehead a number of times with my NPB filter from my dark sky site, the object always shows up best in the H-Beta filter. I find that an exit pupil of around 3mm to 4mm in size tends to work best on the Horsehead, so you might make sure you are somewhere near that range. Clear skies to you.

Richard Low
professor emeritus

Reged: 11/27/05

#5009965 - 01/10/12 12:28 AM

I first saw the Horsehead nebula a few years ago in a 10" Teleport with a Pentax 40XL eyepiece and H-beta filter, seen direct without using averted vision.I had also seen it with averted vision in my 11" f/5 dob using an Ultrablock filter with Pentax 40xw eyepiece. It does appear bigger than i thought

RolandosCY

Reged: 01/02/09

Loc: Nicosia, Cyprus
Re: About to make an assault on the Horsehead new [Re: Richard Low]
      #5014888 - 01/13/12 03:27 AM

Hi there,

Keep trying for the HorseHead! IMO, provided you are under reasonably dark skies (4 on the Bortle is enough), the atmosphere is really the limiting factor. With my friend Foehummer we tried during 2007 many times with uncerain success from various sites. During February 2008 we had our first confirmed sighting using a 10" dob from our regular dark site (which can get to mag 7 or better at the zenith, easily Bortle 2). Then, on the night of January 1st, observing from a seashore site only 10 miles south of a 75,000 people city and a major airport, but under fantastic conditions, we had a much easier time!

Of course, my sighting during November 2009 will remain unforgettable:

Here

The use of H-beta certainly helps, but I strongly believe that the transparency is THE most important factor!

Edited by TMK (01/21/12 07:26 AM)

RolandosCY

Re: About to make an assault on the Horsehead new [Re: RolandosCY]
      #5014890 - 01/13/12 03:36 AM Attachment (235 downloads)

By the way, talking about the use of H-beta, here is a drawing I made on 18 November 2009 WITHOUT the filter...

RolandosCY

#5014891 - 01/13/12 03:37 AM Attachment (224 downloads)

Quote:

By the way, talking about the use of H-beta, here is a drawing I made on 18 November 2009 WITHOUT the filter...

...And one with the Lumicon H-beta filter...

nytecam
Postmaster

Reged: 08/20/05

Loc: London UK
      #5015318 - 01/13/12 11:36 AM

Some great sketches there

I don't have the luxury of dark skies or access to them hence I work from my London backyard via brief snaps of Horsehead with my cam eg wideangle and closeup - latter under moonlight

Dave MitskyModerator
Postmaster

Re: About to make an assault on the Horsehead new [Re: nytecam]
      #5025298 - 01/18/12 05:47 PM

I had quite a nice view of B33 last Sunday night through a 22" f/3.6 SDM Dob, a 21mm Tele Vue Ethos, and an Astronomik H-Beta filter.

Dave Mitsky

Anonymous
Unregistered

#5032472 - 01/22/12 03:43 PM

I've seen it twice, under very dark skies:

1. Villanueva State Park,NM, on April, 2008. It was early in the evening, and Orion was low in the southwest, but I saw B33, as a shimmering black blob, larger than I had expected, using a 12.5" dob and Orion Lanthanum 22mm EP, with a Lumicon H-Beta filter.

2. Cherry Springs State Park, PA, in Sept, 2009. Saw B33 through a 15" Obsession. Don't know the EP. As the object rose higher in the eastern sky, the horsehead shape became very obvious.

Kraus
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 03/10/12

Loc: Georgia.
      #5122213 - 03/14/12 03:53 PM

Herr Ham,

You mean there is someone else in Middle Georgia with a telescope?

I have an LX-200 fourteen inch. And boy oh boy does it collect any and all light.

I live north of the city so my southern sky is a tad illuminated.

Kraus

Edited by Kraus (03/14/12 03:54 PM)

Starboat

Reged: 03/14/12

Loc: Texas
      #5124727 - 03/16/12 12:21 AM

I've been lucky enough to see the horsehead several times, but never through less than 18", good darkness, and an H-beta filter. And as noted here, it's better described as a thumb in the pudding, because seeing IC434 is the key. But recently down at the OzSky Safari in Australia, I was fortunate to view it through a 30" scope. I could see the snout with direct vision. The complete chess piece easily. It was astounding

David Knisely
Postmaster

Re: About to make an assault on the Horsehead new [Re: Starboat]
      #5124816 - 03/16/12 01:55 AM

Last night, I could just barely see the Horsehead from my magnitude 5.5 driveway using my 14 inch f/4.6 Newtonian and the DGM Optics NPB filter. It is a lot easier with the H-Beta, but I kind of wanted to see if I could still do it from my home with just the narrow-band NPB filter. Nice to see that the NPB could still do the job even though just barely. Clear skies to you.

stmguy
sage

Reged: 10/11/12

Loc: Western NH
      #5485409 - 10/23/12 02:42 PM Attachment (62 downloads)

Excellent sketch Carol , that will be a big help to me the next time I try to locate it. I tried last year with my 10" F4 but no joy. I've been busy on my observatory so once I get some time I'll give it another try

I think I was close with my DSI but just couldn't find it
Thanks
Norm

Edited by stmguy (10/23/12 06:48 PM)

Carol L

Re: About to make an assault on the Horsehead new [Re: stmguy]
      #5486145 - 10/23/12 10:06 PM

Quote:

Excellent sketch Carol , that will be a big help to me the next time I try to locate it. I tried last year with my 10" F4 but no joy. I've been busy on my observatory so once I get some time I'll give it another try

I think I was close with my DSI but just couldn't find it
Thanks
Norm

Thanks Norm, glad to be of help - good luck, and i hope you bag it on your next try.
BTW, we're accustomed to seeing the Horsehead as a tiny little notch in images, but it's actually quite big so make sure your fov is wide enough - i used a 1.25" Meade 32mm Plossl for the sketch.

stmguy
sage

#5486535 - 10/24/12 06:37 AM

I'm beginning to think that my DSI FOV is too small to capture it. I never knew that the Horse was so big

Norm

David Knisely
Postmaster

#5486856 - 10/24/12 11:44 AM

Quote:

I'm beginning to think that my DSI FOV is too small to capture it. I never knew that the Horse was so big

Norm

The dark nebula is over five arc minutes across, so your field of view should be quite a bit larger than this in order to frame it properly. Good luck and clear skies to you.

Dave MitskyModerator
Postmaster

#5487585 - 10/24/12 08:15 PM

I had a very good view of B33 on the night of October 16th through an H-beta filtered 18" StarStructure Dob. We were at the summit of Spruce Knob in West Virginia, at an altitude of over 4800 feet, but the conditions that night were not exceptional, unfortunately.

I "suspected" seeing B33 through my 10" Sky-Watcher Collapsible Dob, a 21mm Denkmeier, and an Orion H-beta filter from one of the better local dark sites on Sunday night.

Dave Mitsky

stmguy
sage

#5539849 - 11/26/12 06:17 AM

I didn't mention it but that picture I attached that I took with my DSI was in the general area of the horsehead, anyone have an idea how far I was off ? A friend of mine thought it was a jet contrail but it was there the next night

Norm

wky46
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/12/05

Loc: west Ky.
      #5539947 - 11/26/12 08:56 AM

Quote:

That's a great representation of how the Horsehead looks without a filter and when the transparency is good at my place.

RolandosCY

Re: About to make an assault on the Horsehead new [Re: wky46]
      #5565385 - 12/11/12 03:51 AM

I know this has nothing to do with actually observing the Horsehead, but I have to mention that my "love affair" with this great nebula started back in the early 80s. long before the internet era, when, as a high school student, came accross a book by the late Sir Patrick Moore entitled "The Unfolding Universe". That book kick-started my passionate interest in deep-sky observing, and out of all the images in it, the one that caught most my imagination was the one on page 177, showing the area of Zeta Orionis in full color. It more or less took me 25 years (from 1984 to 2009) until I was finally succesful in seeing the real HorseHead!

R.I.P. Sir Patrick Moore, and thanks so much for inspiring both my deep-sky "career" and also my passion for the HorseHead Nebula!

stmguy
sage

#5600375 - 01/01/13 09:36 PM

tried again tonight with my 10" f4 but just couldn't see it. Too cold for me tonight to keep trying , down to about 12 degrees F. But M42 did look fantastic !

Norm

IVM
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 01/07/08

Loc: Western New York
      #5601093 - 01/02/13 11:32 AM

One night in December I was showing it at a remote (blue zone) dark site to a club member. He was doing long-exposure imaging of it and walked over, and I asked if he wanted to see it visually. He had seen it visually from that site before with a much larger scope than my 16" (28" if I remember he said). I had my finder eyepiece in - Pentax 40mm - and just screwed in the Limicon H-beta I had in my pocket for a quick look, although I did not know what to expect at such a low magnification. My f/4.5 16" at 45x gives an exit pupil larger than my fully dark-adapted pupil and therefore works as a 12" at best. I pretty much just pointed it at Alnitak with the Telrad, and there it was, IC 434, lacking internal detail maybe but sharply enough outlined with dust. It turned out that both of us could see the Horsehead easily. I remember that it looked angular, i.e. more than a shapeless notch but with a recognizable flattened top of the head. The separation of the snout from the neck however could not be seen at that magnification. The separation is child's play with that scope (and in fact with my 12" too) at that site at a proper higher magnification in my previous experience. This time it was just a casual look though and we drifted off in our conversation instead of going to more normal magnifications I use with this scope. I believe I had never seen it at the maximum exit pupil before (I hope that mine is still close to the 7 mm that I measured a few years ago but fear measuring it again ), so I thought this observation curious enough to post.

kfiscus
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 07/09/12

Loc: Albert Lea, MN, USA
Re: About to make an assault on the Horsehead new [Re: IVM]
      #5604013 - 01/04/13 02:24 AM

My stargazing buddy and I got the Horsehead tonight. This was our first serious attempt. We would not have persevered and succeeded without the excellent sketches posted here, especially Carol's. Also, the comments 'It's bigger than you think' really helped.

Orion was on the meridian, seeing was very good, moon not up for a few more minutes. We used his Z12 and my 13T6, no filter. The wind chill made this even more challenging (5 degrees F). Thanks again, everybody!

photiost
professor emeritus

Reged: 12/14/06

Loc: Montreal, Canada
      #5661863 - 02/04/13 02:06 PM

Quote:

Wow ..nice sketch !!

drbyyz
sage

Reged: 11/04/12

Re: About to make an assault on the Horsehead new [Re: photiost]
      #5668638 - 02/08/13 10:07 AM

So I think I'm going to give this guy a shot Saturday night. Making a trip out to a green zone and the weather is stacking up for it to be great, transparent conditions. I'd never thought to give it a try with my 8" before, but after reading this thread I see that a few people have managed it. Only problem is I have no filter. Has anyone had any luck in an 8" without a filter? I'm going to give it a shot without one, and might ask my club if anyone has one I can borrow if that fails. There should also be at least one large aperture scope set up, so perhaps I'll give it a shot in one first to get a feel for what I'm looking for.

Last trip to this sight I got a remarkable view of the Flame and transparency wasn't even all that great. Didn't even think about heading down to the HH with my 8", but boy was I enjoying the Flame. Quite bright with the maple leaf shape very obvious and all 3 dark lanes easy. No averted vision even needed.

N. Ham

Re: About to make an assault on the Horsehead new [Re: drbyyz]
      #5703799 - 02/27/13 04:22 PM

Well I had not logged on CN for quite some time until recently and I realized just how long it had been since I had spent any quality time with my scopes. Went out a few times recently and finally bagged the elusive Horsehead. I should say more like bagging a very faint flat topped pyramid. Conditions weren't that great, but I was pretty sure I did see the thumbprint of B33. Didn't realize this thread had been pinned up top until I did a search for it. Looking at Carol's sketch, that was pretty hat I saw, though she may have been exaggerating the amount of contrast between the bright and dark clouds. What I will look for next time is the little "cap" of stars that sits above the horse's head. I am hoping this weekend will provide better conditions with a waning moon.

I am going to try with the 6"APO and the H-beta filter since I know right where to look now.

Clear and moonless skies to all,
Nuts

Kraus
Pooh-Bah

#5709580 - 03/02/13 09:14 PM

Herr Ham,

For both of us the Middle-Georgia weather is a pain. It changes faster than the weather in England. I'm in Warner Robins.

About three weeks ago, I think I saw the Horse Head. I didn't see it direct but with averted vision and an OIII filter. Or I was seeing thins. I slew 30 minutes south of Alnitak. I can easily see NGC-2023 nebulosity. Tomorrow evening, March 3rd is supposed to be clear. I shall make my assault on the Horse Head and use my Brand New 7mm Type 6 Nagler. Did you hear Bob Barker in there?

David Knisely
Postmaster

Re: About to make an assault on the Horsehead new [Re: Kraus]
      #5709829 - 03/03/13 01:20 AM

Quote:

Herr Ham,

For both of us the Middle-Georgia weather is a pain. It changes faster than the weather in England. I'm in Warner Robins.

About three weeks ago, I think I saw the Horse Head. I didn't see it direct but with averted vision and an OIII filter. Or I was seeing thins. I slew 30 minutes south of Alnitak. I can easily see NGC-2023 nebulosity. Tomorrow evening, March 3rd is supposed to be clear. I shall make my assault on the Horse Head and use my Brand New 7mm Type 6 Nagler. Did you hear Bob Barker in there?

It is highly doubtful that you saw it with an OIII filter. The background nebula that the Horsehead is in (IC 434) has almost zero OIII emission (H-alpha and H-Beta only), so a true OIII filter will basically kill the nebula. Try either a good narrow-band nebula filter like the Lumicon UHC or DGM NPB, or an H-Beta filter like the Lumicon H-Beta. That may give you a fighting chance of seeing the Horsehead. Clear skies to you.

Kraus
Pooh-Bah

#5711038 - 03/03/13 05:17 PM

Hey Ham,

Our Middle-Georgia weather is near pristine. The horse head is a go. I'll let you know.

Kraus
Pooh-Bah

#5711571 - 03/03/13 09:51 PM

Hey Ham,

The horse head peeked at me. I could see the 'blob' by slowly slewing east-west, north-south and an H-beta filter. The eye can catch more with slight movement.

How 'bout you? Did you go out tonight? Don't tell me the cold scared you indoors like it did me. LOL.

N. Ham

#5715537 - 03/05/13 10:40 PM

Kraus,
I made it out until a little after midnight. Was able to show the horsehead to my son. I was not able to focus very well on Jupiter as the sky was not to steady. Checked off E and F in the Trapezium, then got my Goto calibrated pretty well and went galaxy hunting. Checked off a pretty good list from Camelopardalis to Ursa Major. One of these days I am going to slow down and observe more, but at this point the quantity of collections of a Half a billion stars or more just amazes me. Seeing new ones for the first time never ceases to wow me. Seeing old friends like M 81 and 82 with the details they give up with only a short glance never gets old.

I just wish our skies were as drk as they were when I was a boy. The way our weather changes with a heartbeat, I can't think of packing things up to drive out to a dark site. I am sure the clouds would hold off just until I got the scop together collimated and aligned on two stars only to turn to total overcast as I changed out my reticle eyepiece for a wide field one.

Clear skies to you. If I don't go fishing this weekend I plan to go on a planetary nebula hunt before the throngs of galaxies from Leo, Coma, the Virgin and Canes Venatici are thrown our way. Will try to give some reports and actually do some observing.

Kraus
Pooh-Bah

#5715871 - 03/06/13 06:37 AM

Ham,

Very good. If the wind lets up this evening, I'll be at the telescope. Mr, Bakich's column in this month's Astronomy has some interesting targets.

I was here in 1976-1978 at Robins AFB as a young airman. I wasn't telescope savy. I was flying radio controlled planes but I do remember how the skies just a few miles from the base went quite dark. I could see lots but had no idea what I saw. I Wasn't constellation aware back then.

Dave MitskyModerator
Postmaster

#5716600 - 03/06/13 02:55 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Herr Ham,

It is highly doubtful that you saw it with an OIII filter. The background nebula that the Horsehead is in (IC 434) has almost zero OIII emission (H-alpha and H-Beta only), so a true OIII filter will basically kill the nebula. Try either a good narrow-band nebula filter like the Lumicon UHC or DGM NPB, or an H-Beta filter like the Lumicon H-Beta. That may give you a fighting chance of seeing the Horsehead. Clear skies to you.

One exception is the old Meade "OIII" filter belonging to a friend. On a night that we could detect the Horsehead without a filter through his 20" Starmaster, we were also able to see it using his Meade filter. An H-beta filter provided the best view, of course. I found out later that the Meade filter allowed H-beta transmission, which made it more a narrowband filter than an OIII filter.

Dave Mitsky

Kraus
Pooh-Bah

#5717162 - 03/06/13 08:00 PM

Dave,

I learned not to 'force' a filter. Best method, try a filter, see what you see.

I think in early December at two a.m. when the air is settled as settled as it will be, I'll make another 'assault' on the horse head.

But Spring is near. Many objects require my attention. How about you?

Dave MitskyModerator
Postmaster

#5717665 - 03/07/13 02:35 AM

Were you replying to me or David Knisely?

I certainly agree with David that a true OIII line filter is counterproductive when it comes to observing B33. A narrowband filter will enhance IC 434 somewhat making B33 easier to detect but an H-beta filter really makes a difference.

If you plan on observing B33 with a 14" Meade SCT (judging from your signature line), a 7mm Nagler is definitely not the eyepiece to use. An eyepiece producing a 4 or 5mm exit pupil often produces the best results.

http://home.ix.netcom.com/~bwilson2/barbarasweb/MEyepiece.htm

Dave Mitsky

N. Ham

#5720175 - 03/08/13 10:03 AM

Kraus,

The horsehead was easy last night with the H-beta filter. Definitely a must in our skies to see it in scopes the size of ours. Seems like they are always on back order this time of year. Get you one this summer and you will be set. There are a few other nebulae that prefer this wavelength filter as well, over the O III I have a list somewhere around here.

Kraus
Pooh-Bah

#5720490 - 03/08/13 01:00 PM

Ham,

I love my fourteen incher. I would love though to have a one-million incher, but portability might be a problem. (LOL, laughing on line)

I'm finished with the horse head for the season. I plan to view it in late November or early December when its high in the sky at four a.m. I think at four a.m. the sky is as settled as it's going to be.

Kraus
Pooh-Bah

#5720547 - 03/08/13 01:29 PM

Herr Mitsky,

My apologies. I was responding to you. You quoted Mr. Knisely. I got confused. He said he doubted I saw the horse head through an OIII. And then you Dave, said of the old Meade OIII did let in those horsehead lines. I assumed it was Mr. Knisely admitting I might have seen it through the OIII.

Anyways Dave and Dave,

The evening I did see something through the h-Beta was not visible through an OIII. So Dave one was right in his doubt. And I think Dave two likes chocolate and peanut butter. But I'd like both Daves as friends.

Galicapernistein

Reged: 09/24/07

Loc: Detroit Michigan
      #5726190 - 03/11/13 03:56 PM

I finally found the Horsehead Friday night, thanks to the excellent information in these posts. It wasn't easy though. Using my 12" Lightbridge, 24mm Panoptic and Orion H-beta filter, I was about ready to give up at first until I noticed that half of the field was brighter than the other. The brighter half was where the "bright" nebula should be, but the sharp eastern border of the bright nebula was not visible - just a gradual fade from dark to not so dark. Then I noticed a splotch of brightness just to the west of the star that lies northwest of the Horsehead, and it definitely had a defined eastern edge. So I mentally traced that line down to the "double star" that points at the Horsehead. Sure enough, there was a dark area right where the HH should be. At one point I got a fairly sharp outline of the HH using averted vision, even though the brighter background nebula was at the limit of vision. I was expecting the well defined border of the bright nebula to be much more obvious than it actually is. Like others have said, if I hadn't known exactly where to look, I wouldn't have seen it. I tried improving the view with my 13mm Nagler, but the field was just too dark. The 5mm exit pupil rule definitely applies to the HH.

PS - The HH is not tiny, as some have reported. It actually takes a large bite out of the visible part of the very faint "bright" nebula. Look at a good atlas to get an idea of its size. If you are looking for a tiny notch in the nebula (like I was doing before reading these posts) you will not see the subtle but fairly large imprint of the HH.

Edited by Galicapernistein (03/14/13 01:42 PM)

DG Aucoin

Reged: 03/20/13

#5866408 - 05/17/13 03:54 AM

I observed B33 and IC 434 back in 1988 with a 13.1" Coulter Dob. I had a Lumicon H-beta Filter. I never actually saw the Horsehead itself, but I detected the nebulosity, IC 434 and the dark gap, B33. This was during an extremely cold night at my clubs clubhouse. There was a biting wind, so I set up next to MIT's Laboratory at Haystack in Westford, MA.

The temp outside was 10 with a wind chill of -10, We were bundled up and I was the first to o9bserve it visually in my club.

Sarkikos
Postmaster

Reged: 12/18/07

Loc: Suburban Maryland, USA
Re: About to make an assault on the Horsehead new [Re: DG Aucoin]
      #6046682 - 08/26/13 10:19 AM

For my 10" f/4.8 Dob at a yellow zone site, I found a Sterling Plossl 25mm the best eyepiece for the Horsehead. The filter was a Lumicon H-Beta.

Finally Lassoed the Horsehead!

Kraus
Pooh-Bah

Re: About to make an assault on the Horsehead new [Re: Sarkikos]
      #6046947 - 08/26/13 12:42 PM

Quote:

That makes you 'Cowboy of the Year'

I saw Orion rising this morning during coffee. I hear the Horse Head neighing. 'Settle down, settle down. In a few weeks boy.' neigh-h-h!

Sarkikos
Postmaster

#6047034 - 08/26/13 01:46 PM

A little early for the rodeo.

Mike

Kraus
Pooh-Bah

#6113699 - 10/02/13 06:19 PM

My plan I decided last Winter was to spy the head in early October, 3:00a.m.-ish. Well, here it is October and ready to go.

I shall rise in the wee a.m. hours and take a gander. I figured by then, the air is as settled as it will get considering my humid conditions.

I'll let you know.

TechPan6415
sage

Reged: 07/29/12

Loc: Aspen, Co
      #6114356 - 10/02/13 11:39 PM

Got it at about 4AM this morning, I only have O-III and DGM NPB filters so I used the latter on my 25mm 100 degree using my 16" 4.5. Barely detected his snout, not sure what other objects I would use an H-Beta on, I should look into it more I guess...I'll consult Mr. Knisely's awesome charts...

Kraus
Pooh-Bah

Re: About to make an assault on the Horsehead new [Re: TechPan6415]
      #6114616 - 10/03/13 06:55 AM

Herr Tech,

An H-beta is recommended on the California nebula as well as the Horse Head. That's about it. Not sure if I want to put out two hundred bucks for a filter for two objects. I must move to your Aspen skies. Black are they?

Alrighty. It's 6:40a.m., October 3rd.

I got up at 2:30a.m., looked outside, clear sky, made coffee and got dressed. Woo-woo!!!

Found Alnitak then moved thirty arc seconds south. Got the star pattern in view, inserted the 16mm, the UHC, OIII and H-beta...nothing.

Orion was maybe forty five degrees above the horizon.

Wait, wait, wait.

At about 5:30a.m. Orion's near his highest.

Looked, looked, looked and I think I finally saw the black blob. I even think the nose blinked at me and that was with the 31mm and a UHC. I could discern a dark dot right where the horse head should be. Perhaps I should get a 2" H-beta for the 31mm.

I try again the first week of November as dew was quite prevalent this morning. Moisture sure can ruin things.

Scanning4Comets
Markus

Reged: 12/26/04

#6114784 - 10/03/13 09:38 AM

Quote:

For my 10" f/4.8 Dob at a yellow zone site, I found a Sterling Plossl 25mm the best eyepiece for the Horsehead. The filter was a Lumicon H-Beta.

Mike, I have used the 25mm Sterling and filters on the Helix....there really is something awesome going on with the 25mm Sterling Plossl! We get the BEST views of The Helix with it and a Lumicon O-III !!!

You really are onto something bro!

Dave MitskyModerator
Postmaster

#6115062 - 10/03/13 12:28 PM

Quote:

An H-beta is recommended on the California nebula as well as the Horse Head. That's about it. Not sure if I want to put out two hundred bucks for a filter for two objects.

David Knisely has found that an H-beta filter is useful on 21 objects.

http://jaysastronomyobservingblog.blogspot.com/2010/07/david-kniselys-useful-...

Dave Mitsky

David Knisely
Postmaster

#6115120 - 10/03/13 12:56 PM

Kraus posted:

Quote:

An H-beta is recommended on the California nebula as well as the Horse Head. That's about it. Not sure if I want to put out two hundred bucks for a filter for two objects. I must move to your Aspen skies. Black are they?

Ah no, it's more than two objects....

. . . . . USEFUL TARGETS FOR THE H-BETA FILTER . . . . .

While the H-Beta is probably one of the less-used nebula filters, the commonly expressed idea that it works only on a handful of objects is not necessarily true. Here is a list of some of the more prominent objects that the H-Beta may be at least somewhat useful on. Some may require larger apertures, but a few have been seen from a dark sky site by just holding the filter up to the unaided eye and looking at the sky. Some of these will also be helped by a narrow-band filter like the Lumicon UHC.

1. IC 434 (HORSEHEAD NEBULA)
2. NGC 1499 (CALIFORNIA NEBULA, naked eye and RFT)
3. M43 (part of the Great Orion Nebula)
4. IC 5146 (COCOON NEBULA in Cygnus)
5. M20 (TRIFID NEBULA, main section)
6. NGC 2327 (diffuse nebula in Monoceros)
7. IC 405 (the FLAMING STAR NEBULA in Auriga)
8. IC 417 (diffuse Nebula in Auriga)
9. IC 1283 (diffuse Nebula in Sagittarius)
10. IC 1318 GAMMA CYGNI NEBULA (diffuse nebula in Cygnus)
11. IC 2177: (Diffuse Nebula, Monoceros)
12. IC 5076 (diffuse nebula, Cygnus)
13. PK64+5.1 "CAMPBELL'S HYDROGEN STAR" Cygnus (PNG 64.7+5.0)
14. Sh2-157a (small round nebula inside larger Sh2-157, Cassiopeia)
15. Sh2-235 (diffuse nebula in Auriga).
16. Sh2-276 "BARNARD'S LOOP" (diffuse nebula in Orion, naked eye)
17. IC 2162 (diffuse nebula in northern Orion)
18 Sh2-254 (diffuse nebula in northern Orion near IC 2162)
19. Sh2-256-7 (diffuse nebula in northern Orion near IC 2162)
20. vdB93 (Gum-1) (diffuse nebula in Monoceros near IC 2177)
21. Lambda Orionis nebular complex (very large, naked-eye)
22. The "Cone" Nebula (portion of Sh2-273 south of cluster NGC 2264)

In addition, a number of the brighter nebulae like NGC 7000 or M42 will respond to H-Beta use for revealing certain specific detail, although other filters may provide a somewhat better view overall.

Clear skies to you.

Sarkikos
Postmaster

#6166501 - 10/30/13 02:15 PM

I think that would be a good idea for a new object list in my SkySafari Pro on Android tablet: USEFUL TARGETS FOR THE H-BETA FILTER! I'll start with these 22 objects suggested by David.

Mike

Sarkikos
Postmaster

Re: About to make an assault on the Horsehead new [Re: Scanning4Comets]
      #6166510 - 10/30/13 02:18 PM

Quote:

Mike, I have used the 25mm Sterling and filters on the Helix....there really is something awesome going on with the 25mm Sterling Plossl! We get the BEST views of The Helix with it and a Lumicon O-III !!!

I haven't tried the 25 Sterling yet on the Helix. I'll have to remember that for my next dark site trip.

I always take the Sterling Plossls 25, 20, 17 and 12.5 to dark sites.

Mike

Carol L

#6167295 - 10/30/13 08:59 PM

Quote:

Looking at Carol's sketch, that was pretty hat I saw, though she may have been exaggerating the amount of contrast between the bright and dark clouds.

When drawing extremely faint nebulosities under my extremely dim red light, I need to use enough graphite to see what I'm sketching. Problem is, sketches that look just fine at the eyepiece can look too bright online. It doesn't bother me, though - my sketches are observations, not works of art. As long as they help others find and identify their targets, I'm a happy camper.

(Sorry for the delay in replying to this Feb 27 post... I haven't read the thread for a while.)

TimothyP
journeyman

Reged: 05/17/12

#6179065 - 11/06/13 11:45 AM

I saw the Horsehead for the first time through a friend's 16" this past weekend. We were at a nearby dark site in a technically green zone but we were right next to the Chesapeake Bay so the direction Orion was in looked over the Bay into at least 10 miles of darkness. With an H-beta filter it was plain as day. IC 434 jumps out at you and the Horsehead is a black area beautifully contrasted against the bright IC 434. You really have to move Alnitak (the bright star) out of the FOV to really see it well.

I then got ambitious and tried to observe it in my 10" scope. The Flame Nebula was easy enough to spot next to Alnitak but IC 434 not so much. Without the H-beta filter I think I saw a trace of nebulosity but definitely no Horesehead. When I popped the H-beta in there...holy wow! There it was! It wasn't all that bright but I could definitely see the black shape of the Horsehead. I will definitely be purchasing an H-beta filter soon to observe the Horesehead on my own.

N. Ham

#6180195 - 11/06/13 11:29 PM

Well this may be akin to coming out of the closet, but I have recently gone over to the Dark Side to try my hand at imaging. Not going to get rid of my reflector. Just figured this would be something I could do for a long time when I can no longer pursue my other interests and figured I would take a little plunge. I have been at it about 10 days and have overcome a few hurdles, which mainly were due to my lack of diligence when reading instructions with an auto guider and solving the hieroglyphics of image processing.
It seems the night is a lot clearer than predicted so, I took about 90 minutes of images of the Andromeda galaxy. When my series of photos of Stephen's Quintet is finished, I am going to pull an all nighter with one of my hight time mistresses and make a photographic assault on the Horsehead. Will give a report of casualties in a day or so.

N. Ham

#6181221 - 11/07/13 02:45 PM

Well, the clouds heard me coming to the corral and quickly gathered lest I get some photons onto a CCD chip. Well maybe, next time. This stuff is labor intensive. Won't be giving up the Obsession for sure.

Kim Jenner

Reged: 07/30/06

#6279892 - 12/29/13 08:23 PM

finely saw the Horsehead.But I cheated: I used a H-a filter
and a Collins I3(25mm)Very stable skies in late September.Well defined.Was using my 14 lx200.A real thrill

22 newt,2 14"LX200's(yes-two)Hyperstar

Rick Woods
Postmaster

Re: About to make an assault on the Horsehead new [Re: Kim Jenner]
      #6341056 - 01/28/14 01:45 PM

I and my observing buddy Dinsdale finally saw it unambiguously (albeit barely) last night. 14" LX200, Lumicon H-beta (2"), and Televue 40mm Wide Field.
Our plan was to use the 48mm Brandon, but the background sky was so black (a popular feature of Brandons) that we couldn't make it out. Pop in the 40mm, with its lighter background sky, and for some reason that made the difference.
We compared the view to the U2000 chart, made sketches of what we saw, and they matched. So we're calling it a success.
But boy, is it faint! And bigger than I expected.

Carol L

Re: About to make an assault on the Horsehead new [Re: Rick Woods]
      #6341147 - 01/28/14 02:23 PM

Quote:

And bigger than I expected.

That's what I thought, too - widefield images make it look like a tiny little notch. Glad you finally bagged it!

Sarkikos
Postmaster

#6341151 - 01/28/14 02:24 PM

Quote:

Our plan was to use the 48mm Brandon, but the background sky was so black (a popular feature of Brandons) that we couldn't make it out. Pop in the 40mm, with its lighter background sky, and for some reason that made the difference.

Let's see, now I wonder what could be the reason? I'll just say that I began leaving my Brandons home whenever I went to the dark site.

Quote:

We compared the view to the U2000 chart, made sketches of what we saw, and they matched. So we're calling it a success.
But boy, is it faint! And bigger than I expected.

Congratulations! I've been observing for over 40 years and I never saw the Horsehead until last Winter. To get a good idea of the scale of the Horsehead, I like to switch over to the Burning Bush Nebula se of Alnitak (Zeta Orionis). The central dark area is about the size of the Horsehead ... but a lot easier to see.

Mike

Rick Woods
Postmaster

#6344537 - 01/30/14 04:26 AM

Quote:

Let's see, now I wonder what could be the reason? I'll just say that I began leaving my Brandons home whenever I went to the dark site.

Mike, I know you're baiting me for some reason, but I really don't understand what you mean. What are you saying? Or implying? If you don't plan on planetary viewing, you probably won't miss the Brandons.
But, the 31 Nagler didn't show the Horsehead, either. Maybe you'd want to leave that one home, too?

Sarkikos
Postmaster

#6344657 - 01/30/14 08:15 AM

Rick,

No, I didn't intend to bait ... maybe tease a little.

IME, the Brandons do not have the best light transmission. Your observation about the 48mm seems to confirm that. A black background is not necessarily an indication of high light transmission. Often it shows just the opposite. I've seen that the XW's, Delos, Sterling Plossls have higher light transmission than the Brandons. This shouldn't be surprising given the Brandon's simpler coatings.

Brandons for planet, lunar and double stars? Yes! For deep deep sky? No.

But at this point I've sold all my Brandons. I have other eyepieces for planet/lunar. I had too many eyepieces. I had to reduce the troops. Now I'm down to a small elite force of only 40 eyepieces.

Mike

Rick Woods
Postmaster

#6346345 - 01/30/14 11:55 PM

The thing is, when I've compared before, the 48mm B showed fainter stars and better contrast than the 40mm WF. Plus, we had an h-Beta filter on, which sort of renders any light-transmission comparisons irrelevant. So I can't explain it, except to say that the 40mm is the one for the Horsehead.

Sarkikos
Postmaster

#6346593 - 01/31/14 07:16 AM

I don't think the h-Beta would make light-transmission comparisons irrelevant. Those eyepieces with better light transmission should still show objects brighter. If anything, the filter will make transmission differences more obvious. That was the effect I noticed. I think that was also what you experienced.

Mike

Sarkikos
Postmaster

#6346645 - 01/31/14 08:02 AM

Quote:

The thing is, when I've compared before, the 48mm B showed fainter stars and better contrast than the 40mm WF.

The WF's go back to 1982. I'm not sure if they have superior light transmission, either. Do they have that "coffee" tone?

Mike

Rick Woods
Postmaster

#6349835 - 02/01/14 07:17 PM

Not that I've ever noticed.

DG Aucoin

Reged: 03/20/13

#6400169 - 02/27/14 01:02 PM

I observed IC434/B33 back in 1987 with a Coulter I 13" Telescope, a 9mm Nagler and an H-beta filter. I could just detect the nebulous curtain being bisected by the dark nebula.

I observed it again last weekend in my C11, with an 8.8mm ep and an H-beta filter. Could just barely see the curtain and used averted vision to just barely detect B33.

jrbarnett
Eyepiece Hooligan

Reged: 02/28/06

Loc: Petaluma, CA
      #6401853 - 02/28/14 12:39 PM

I'll be giving it a whirl from the Sonoran desert at the end of March in a C9.25. You've encouraged me greatly.

- Jim

Sarkikos
Postmaster

Re: About to make an assault on the Horsehead new [Re: jrbarnett]
      #6401875 - 02/28/14 12:49 PM

The end of March will be a little late in the season for Horsehead hunting.

Mike

jrbarnett
Eyepiece Hooligan

Reged: 02/28/06

Loc: Petaluma, CA
      #6404665 - 03/01/14 09:38 PM

We'll see.

It's on my supplemental MM menu. I'll hunt for it during the M42, M42, M78 and M79 part of the Marathon search sequence.

I'll be below 34N.

- Jim

Sarkikos
Postmaster

Re: About to make an assault on the Horsehead new [Re: jrbarnett]
      #6405658 - 03/02/14 01:20 PM

I made my first attempt at the Messier Marathon last year here at 39N. It was easy sneezy with Sky Safari Pro on my Android tablet, using the program as an on-the-fly star hopping guide and memory jogger (no fancy electronics connection to a mount). IIRC, I completed about 88 with no gaps before I called it a night due to cold and fatigue. I'm certain I would have bagged them all if I'd stayed at the dark site all night.

Mike

Vondragonnoggin
Post Laureate

Reged: 02/21/10

Loc: Southern CA, USA
      #6444705 - 04/03/14 03:06 AM

I just caught first sight with real recognition of it earlier tonight and a prominent flame nebula in my 6" mak with .5x reducer and IIE with 7nm H-Alpha.

Able to just fit flame and HH in same view. Backyard in LP

Worked better to see the detail by sort of rocking view slowly a little side to side like bagging galaxies, then once found the notch, could just make out head curve with nose, but still kind of hard to get any real detail. That region has a nice misty neb though and flame was easy to make out lighter bands separated by dark streaks.

Probably darker skies than backyard or faster focal ratio or bigger scope could have got some further detail.

Was pretty awesome to see it finally. First time solid view though and it was great. On the other hand, moving the scope down a bit to take in M42 was photograph like details. Crazy.

Astronomy rocks!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)

Extra information
2 registered and 7 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave Mitsky, Phillip Creed, okieav8r 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 14060

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics