Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Observing >> Deep Sky Observing

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
Steven Aggas
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 04/15/08

Loc: Arizona
Re: What is your challenge object for this winter... new [Re: EJN]
      #5505768 - 11/05/12 06:09 PM

Quote:

What is your challenge object for this winter...

Challenge object 38; Herbig-Haro 222 - The waterfall feature.

Steven

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Darren Drake
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/09/02

Loc: Chicagoland
      #5505769 - 11/05/12 06:09 PM

My nemesis has always been the G and H stars of the trap. I am seldom in dark skies enough to give me a real shot but I have had a few good chances with no luck with the 18.

Edited by Darren Drake (11/05/12 06:10 PM)

Matt Lindsey
sage

Reged: 06/06/08

Loc: Baltimore, MD, U.S.A.
Re: What is your challenge object for this winter... new [Re: The Planetman]
      #5505828 - 11/05/12 06:58 PM

Flaming Star nebula IC 405 in Auriga. G and H in the trap. Simeis 147 in Auriga. I've kind of given up on the Witch head until I get to darker skies.

blb
Post Laureate

Reged: 11/25/05

Loc: Piedmont NC
Re: What is your challenge object for this winter... new [Re: Feidb]
      #5505892 - 11/05/12 07:51 PM

Quote:

I've attempted the Witch Head 2 years in a row without success. I guess it's a better bino object than with a large aperture because the thing is so big. I've tried every filter I have and looked for an edge I could follow, somewhere along the brightest parts of it, but no go. I'll try again this year.

Fred, If I am remembering correctly, the Witch Head is a reflection nebula and no filter really works well on it. I think that a wide field-of-view low power refractor or binoculars will work best from a dark sky site so try without a filter and use low power. You may get lucky from your desert location. I would love to hear about any success you have.

Bill Weir
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 06/01/04

Loc: Metchosin (Victoria), Canada
Re: What is your challenge object for this winter... new [Re: bassplayer142]
      #5506249 - 11/06/12 01:22 AM

Quote:

Come to rethink it. With all the clouds around here in the winter, it may be a challenge to see a single star...

DING, DING, DING, DING, DING,

Ladies and gentlemen no more calls we have a winner!!!!

Really I just want to get back at my Herschel 2500 project. It's those low down to the horizon late autumn winter objects I need to get to. It's the sky to the south that's the challenge not the actual object.

I've got 2 more Palomar globulars to observe but spring will do fine for those.

Bill

David Knisely
Postmaster

Reged: 04/19/04

Loc: southeastern Nebraska
Re: What is your challenge object for this winter... new [Re: Matt Lindsey]
      #5506261 - 11/06/12 01:35 AM

Quote:

Flaming Star nebula IC 405 in Auriga. G and H in the trap. Simeis 147 in Auriga. I've kind of given up on the Witch head until I get to darker skies.

The brighter parts of IC 405 should be doable under a fairly dark sky in a 12 inch if you use an H-Beta filter and at least possible using a narrow-band nebula filter. It isn't much, but the H-Beta at least should give you a fighting chance at seeing it. I can see several of the inner filaments in IC 405 in my 14 inch with the H-Beta (52x), but they are pretty darn dim. On a really dark night in an 8 inch f/5 equipped with the H-Beta, I have occasionally seen the very faint band of nebulosity that is west and extends well south of AE Aur (1.3 degrees in length). Good luck and clear skies to you.

Feidb
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 10/09/09

Loc: Nevada
Re: What is your challenge object for this winter... new [Re: David Knisely]
      #5506587 - 11/06/12 10:02 AM

Buddy,

You are right. Filters don't do a thing for the Witch Head. With my 16", the field is way too narrow, that's why I went for just a chunk, an edge at one of the brightest spots but no dice. Too close, too small an area, even at 38X, my field of view just isn't wide enough to grab enough sky. This is a case where smaller may be better like you say.

uniondrone
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/05/09

Loc: Streetlight Archipelago
      #5507262 - 11/06/12 05:20 PM

The Flame Nebula from an orange zone would be my challenge. Not sure if it is doable, though.

jeff heck
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 01/16/06

Loc: stl,mo.
Re: What is your challenge object for this winter... new [Re: uniondrone]
      #5507302 - 11/06/12 05:52 PM

I am in the hunt for the G and H stars in the trap, NGC 7635 Bubble Nebula, along with getting a decent view of NGC 1365. I have next week off and plan on a few dusk till dawn sessions, so wish me clear skies!

David Knisely
Postmaster

Re: What is your challenge object for this winter... new [Re: Feidb]
      #5507388 - 11/06/12 06:55 PM

Quote:

Buddy,

You are right. Filters don't do a thing for the Witch Head. With my 16", the field is way too narrow, that's why I went for just a chunk, an edge at one of the brightest spots but no dice. Too close, too small an area, even at 38X, my field of view just isn't wide enough to grab enough sky. This is a case where smaller may be better like you say.

Well, actually a good broad-band LPR filter has been known to help enhance the Witch Head nebula in rich-field telescopes. It isn't much of a boost, but every little thing can help here. I have seen the Witch Head (barely) in a good pair of 10x50 binoculars under a very dark winter sky, but it wasn't all that prominent. All I could really see was a brightening of the sky background rather than something with detail. It was a tad easier to notice in my 100mm f/6 refractor at 15x with the Lumicon Deep-sky filter than it was in the binoculars, but it still was kind of a marginal object. Clear skies to you.

Dave MitskyModerator
Postmaster

Reged: 04/08/02

Loc: PA, USA, Planet Earth
Re: What is your challenge object for this winter... new [Re: David Knisely]
      #5507525 - 11/06/12 08:53 PM

I've also bagged IC 2118 with a refractor, my 101mm f/5.4 Tele Vue, and a 35mm Panoptic. It was an exceptionally good night.

Dave Mitsky

Old Rookie
sage

Reged: 09/05/08

Loc: North Central Ohio
Re: What is your challenge object for this winter... new [Re: Dave Mitsky]
      #5509517 - 11/08/12 08:26 AM

Einstein's Cross in Pegasus. A buddy and I have tried several times the last couple of years without success. Our mirror was upgraded this year to 36" from 31" and fabricated by Mike Lockwood. We're hoping this is the year.

killdabuddha
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 08/26/11

Re: What is your challenge object for this winter... new [Re: Steven Aggas]
      #5511383 - 11/09/12 10:35 AM

Quote:

Quote:

What is your challenge object for this winter...

Challenge object 38; Herbig-Haro 222 - The waterfall feature.

Steven

Wow. That waterfall feature is beautiful.

drbyyz
sage

Reged: 11/04/12

Re: What is your challenge object for this winter... new [Re: killdabuddha]
      #5512901 - 11/10/12 10:06 AM

After about a 5 year hiatus of not doing so much observing due to not having my scope with me, I'm getting started back up again and my challenge for this winter is to revisit the Messier Objects. I figure that will be a good start to get me back into the groove. Bagged 27 on the first night out with the scope last night. Looks like M74 is going to be my short term challenge, no luck with it last night, will probably need a darker site to have a chance.

allnight16
journeyman

Reged: 05/03/12

Loc: Serena, Illinois
      #5514369 - 11/11/12 12:06 PM

Witch Head & the Pup

Starboat

Reged: 03/14/12

Loc: Texas
Re: What is your challenge object for this winter... new [Re: allnight16]
      #5515331 - 11/12/12 12:08 AM

We spied the witch's head last winter, and it is a unique, faint object. We encountered it in a 30" reflector on a good night in west Texas, and were surprised to also see it through binoculars as well. I would describe it as a streak of brightness, with no form and difficulty defining the edges of it. Einstein's cross is on my to see list.

Old Rookie
sage

Reged: 09/05/08

Loc: North Central Ohio
Re: What is your challenge object for this winter... [Re: Starboat]
      #5524035 - 11/17/12 09:58 AM

11/16/12. Mid-Ohio, temp 35 degrees, clear, transparency poor/fair, dew getting heavy.

Tried for Einsteinss cross in the club's 36" last night. We located PGC 69457 without issue. First eyepiece was a 17mm Nagler at 336x - nothing. Next up was a 12mm Nagler at around 500x - nothing. The galaxy was looking better. Next was a 5mm Nagler at 1,143x. Just maybe saw something - a brightening on the southern edge of the galaxy with averted vision - probably 60-70% of the time.

We had the telescope about 20 minutes east of the meridian so this was almost as good as it was going to get for the night. If this object is visible at all in amateur instruments, then transparency has to be just about perfect.

J Lowrey

Reged: 01/22/11

Loc: Fort Davis Texas
Re: What is your challenge object for this winter... [Re: Old Rookie]
      #5524370 - 11/17/12 01:30 PM

John,

I have seen all four components of the cross at the same time once after many many attempts with my 48" F/4. It was two years ago and what I did was to keep at it till I got a dry transparent night with Sub Arc seeing. I used A ZAO II 6MM eyepiece at 813X. Most people do not realize just how small the core of CGCG 378-15 is. Good luck and keep at it I am sure your night will come around.

David Knisely
Postmaster

Re: What is your challenge object for this winter... [Re: Old Rookie]
      #5524419 - 11/17/12 01:58 PM Attachment (12 downloads)

Quote:

11/16/12. Mid-Ohio, temp 35 degrees, clear, transparency poor/fair, dew getting heavy.

Tried for Einsteinss cross in the club's 36" last night. We located PGC 69457 without issue. First eyepiece was a 17mm Nagler at 336x - nothing. Next up was a 12mm Nagler at around 500x - nothing. The galaxy was looking better. Next was a 5mm Nagler at 1,143x. Just maybe saw something - a brightening on the southern edge of the galaxy with averted vision - probably 60-70% of the time.

We had the telescope about 20 minutes east of the meridian so this was almost as good as it was going to get for the night. If this object is visible at all in amateur instruments, then transparency has to be just about perfect.

Einstein's Cross is located almost dead-center in the lensing galaxy, so you won't see it if you are looking towards the galaxy's edge. The galaxy is a barred spiral with a faint star-like nucleus and it is that nucleus which you should be looking at all the time at as high a power as the seeing will permit. In a 25 inch Obsession at the Nebraska Star Party, we did manage to get about three of the components, but it took great seeing to do this. Much of the time, all we saw was a blobby fuzzy version of the galaxy's star-like nucleus, as the seeing never fully settled down consistently. All the components are somewhat fainter than the central one (the nucleus of the galaxy). Below is a sketch I did of what we saw when the seeing settled down. Clear skies to you.

KidOrion
professor emeritus

Reged: 07/07/07

Loc: Carbondale, IL
Re: What is your challenge object for this winter... [Re: David Knisely]
      #5524483 - 11/17/12 02:31 PM

I'd be doing amazingly well just to see the galaxy, I think. Anyone know a minimum aperture for PGC 69457 in a green zone with typically mediocre seeing? (Loaded question, perhaps.)

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
1 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave Mitsky, Phillip Creed, okieav8r 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3770

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics