Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Observing >> Deep Sky Observing

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
Bill Weir
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 06/01/04

Loc: Metchosin (Victoria), Canada
Re: What is your challenge object for this winter... new [Re: KidOrion]
      #5524561 - 11/17/12 03:24 PM

Quote:

I'd be doing amazingly well just to see the galaxy, I think. Anyone know a minimum aperture for PGC 69457 in a green zone with typically mediocre seeing? (Loaded question, perhaps.)

12.5" from essentially the conditions you describe except good seeing. I located the galaxy with my 12.5" on the observing pad at the school observatory before going into the dome and giving the Cross a shot with the totally manual eq mounted 25". With the 25" at 635X (5mm T6 Nagler) I had strong suspicions of one component so I put a 10mm eyepiece into a 2,5X Powermate (793X) and was clearly able to detect 2 dots about 75% of the time. With my 20" in early Sept I was able to replicate this feat under better conditions using a 7mm UO HD in the 2.5X Powermate for 688X I think this is totally a seeing dependant object. If you don't have the ability to up the magnification then it won't happen.

Bill

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
KidOrion
professor emeritus

Reged: 07/07/07

Loc: Carbondale, IL
Re: What is your challenge object for this winter... new [Re: Bill Weir]
      #5525327 - 11/18/12 12:08 AM

Thanks, Bill--I'm currently using a borrowed 12.5, so I'll have to give this a shot. I know I won't pick up the Cross, but seeing the galaxy is still a worthy goal, especially since I've mentioned Einstein's Cross at a club meeting and I'd be able to say I'd seen the "host" galaxy.

Old Rookie
sage

Reged: 09/05/08

Loc: North Central Ohio
Re: What is your challenge object for this winter... new [Re: KidOrion]
      #5525725 - 11/18/12 09:03 AM

Thanks for the comments on Einstein's cross gentlemen. I really appreciate the experienced guidance you offer up to those of us that are new to this hobby.

My buddy and I have the tools to nab this object. The only variables seem to be the transparency and seeing. Sooner or later we'll get this.

Old Rookie
sage

Re: What is your challenge object for this winter... new [Re: Old Rookie]
      #5525928 - 11/18/12 11:35 AM

Quote:

Thanks for the comments on Einstein's cross gentlemen. I really appreciate the experienced guidance you offer up to those of us that are new to this hobby.

My buddy and I have the tools to nab this object. The only variables seem to be the transparency and seeing. Sooner or later we'll get this.

I re-read some of your comments and mine about the core of that galaxy. My thought is that, this is what I was catching with averted vision. Neither the seeing nor the transparency was very good that night. Thanks again.

Dave MitskyModerator
Postmaster

Reged: 04/08/02

Loc: PA, USA, Planet Earth
      #5526131 - 11/18/12 01:15 PM

I've seen three of the arcs of Einstein's Cross through a 32" ATM Dob at a very dark site. A few other observers saw all four. The magnification used was around 800x.

Dave Mitsky

kcolter
sage

Reged: 06/04/03

Loc: Missouri, USA
Re: What is your challenge object for this winter... new [Re: Dave Mitsky]
      #5527525 - 11/19/12 09:15 AM

I would welcome reports from observers who have seen the G and H stars in the trapezium and what atmospheric conditions they feel are necessary to see them, are they more seeing dependent or transparency dependent (or both.) Thanks. Steven, with regard to the waterfall feature of HH 222, is this something one can realistically have a chance of seeing with large aperture amateur Dob? Are there any filters that would be of value for this target? Thanks!

Feidb
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/09/09

Loc: Nevada
Re: What is your challenge object for this winter... new [Re: kcolter]
      #5527593 - 11/19/12 10:03 AM

I've caught the G and H stars in the Trapezium in my 16-inch. Nights were very stable, but can't remember transparency. I think it was the stability above all that was key because magnification was up there. When it's in the 220X to 390X range which is when I saw it, if the atmosphere is not cooperative, it spreads the stars out and blurs everything. Those tiny dots blend into the background nebula and they disappear. That one night I remember, it was stable, super clear and I just spotted them but even then it was tough. The background brightness of the nebula makes it harder. There is no black background for contrast.

Edited by Feidb (11/19/12 10:04 AM)

Darren Drake
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/09/02

Loc: Chicagoland
Re: What is your challenge object for this winter... new [Re: Feidb]
      #5527693 - 11/19/12 11:01 AM

How dark were your skies when you picked out G and H? Do you think dark skies are necessary since it is already in bright nebulosity??

Feidb
Carpal Tunnel

Re: What is your challenge object for this winter... new [Re: Darren Drake]
      #5530156 - 11/20/12 01:22 PM

I don't remember if darkness was as much an issue as clarity. However, darkness goes hand in hand with that as if there is a lot of junk up there to affect the darkness and scatter light, the clarity won't be there either. A little haze might help for settling down planetary viewing but for seeing something like this, I don't think so. Since I'm not really a planetary guy, I wouldn't swear by that though I've seen some of my best views of the planets when there was a slight haze.

michiel
sage

Reged: 09/16/04

Loc: The hague Netherlands
      #5531628 - 11/21/12 07:43 AM

Guess mine is the most wanted : The horsehead

droid
rocketman

Reged: 08/29/04

Loc: Conneaut, Ohio
Re: What is your challenge object for this winter... new [Re: michiel]
      #5533387 - 11/22/12 05:35 AM

hmmmmm, my challenge is a bit lamer than most Ive read here. Mine is to finish what I started 3 years ago.
I began the Astronomical leagues Messier Club.
I managed to knock off 73 in a year, and at the time was certain it would be done by the following summer.
Well life just seemed to bring this project to a halt.
But to bring this back to the topic, I have 6 items for the winter/early spring groups left. M79 in Lepus , M46-47-93 all in puppis, and M63 and M94 in Cnanes Venatici .Modest goals I admit, but I really hate leaving projects unfinished.

Edited by droid (11/22/12 05:37 AM)

The Planetman
professor emeritus

Reged: 01/27/06

Loc: Western KY
Re: What is your challenge object for this winter... new [Re: droid]
      #5533686 - 11/22/12 10:24 AM

Andy, nothing at all lame about your challenges.
I think for nearly all of us, the challenge is getting time to observe and even more of a challenge to get that really good night!

Sarkikos
Postmaster

Reged: 12/18/07

Loc: Scotophobe Maryland, USA
Re: What is your challenge object for this winter... new [Re: The Planetman]
      #5535472 - 11/23/12 01:05 PM

The Cone Nebula, yes. But there are also a lot of galaxies I need to bag in Ursa Major to finish up the H400. Those aren't really so much of a challenge to see, just to be out there to see them at a dark site when UMa is well positioned and the sky is transparent.

Mike

Feidb
Carpal Tunnel

Re: What is your challenge object for this winter... new [Re: Sarkikos]
      #5535884 - 11/23/12 05:15 PM

Yeah, the REAL challenge is getting out under a good sky...

azure1961p
Postmaster

Reged: 01/17/09

Loc: USA
      #5535904 - 11/23/12 05:25 PM

Getting my 1.3" diagonal and 8" primary recoated. Then springtime galaxies look out. Ill have my 6" act to tide me over.

A hypothetical deepsky winter challenge if I were to do one would be high-power observing and sketching of the Eskimo and a color drawing of the trapezium region with associated nebula and dark intrusion.

Pete

Edited by azure1961p (11/23/12 05:27 PM)

Sarkikos
Postmaster

Reged: 12/18/07

Loc: Scotophobe Maryland, USA
Re: What is your challenge object for this winter... new [Re: azure1961p]
      #5537211 - 11/24/12 12:59 PM

My last view of M42 was a couple weeks ago through my 10" Dob at a dark site. My Baader Zoom allowed me to dial in various levels of magnification, exit pupil and perceived contrast to pull in and emphasize different structures and aspects of the nebula, Trapezium, Fish's Mouth, and Wings.

For the life of me, I do not understand why more observers don't use a good Zoom eyepiece for deep sky. I - or they? - just don't get it.

Mike

Astrodj
professor emeritus

Reged: 08/24/11

Loc: Missouri
Re: What is your challenge object for this winter... [Re: Sarkikos]
      #5539662 - 11/26/12 12:05 AM

From a dark sky site: The Horsehead with a 10" dob and Lumicon UHC, the Witch Head with the 10" dob.

From my my local area: Sirius B, and Ngc 2359 - Thor's Helmet.

Never really made a real assault on any of these before.

Old Rookie
sage

Re: What is your challenge object for this winter... [Re: Astrodj]
      #5539818 - 11/26/12 05:25 AM

Quote:

From a dark sky site: The Horsehead with a 10" dob and Lumicon UHC, the Witch Head with the 10" dob.

From my my local area: Sirius B, and Ngc 2359 - Thor's Helmet.

Never really made a real assault on any of these before.

NGC-2359 - Thor's Helmet responds really well to an OIII filter. I first saw this with my 8" dob years ago. Saw it again later in our club's 31" - magnificent object. You'll like this one.

FirstSight
Duke of Deneb

Reged: 12/26/05

Loc: Raleigh, NC
      #5540088 - 11/26/12 10:57 AM

Stefan's Quintet. I've seen this before a few times, and under dark/transparent enough skies it's readily do-able in my 12". The real challenge around here is being able to travel to a dark-enough site on a good-enough night of transparency uncompromised by too-much humidity. But as with the quest for the Horsehead (which I've also bagged several times in my 12"), you don't always know for sure if the night is good enough until you put in 15-30 minutes trying. In general, travel to a dark-enough site around here means being fortunate enough to have both weather and situational opportunity on a new-moon weekend night, of which there aren't really all that many in a calendar year.

Starman81
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/06/08

Loc: Metro Detroit, MI, USA
Re: What is your challenge object for this winter... new [Re: droid]
      #5540174 - 11/26/12 11:44 AM

Quote:

hmmmmm, my challenge is a bit lamer than most Ive read here. Mine is to finish what I started 3 years ago.
I began the Astronomical leagues Messier Club.
I managed to knock off 73 in a year, and at the time was certain it would be done by the following summer.
Well life just seemed to bring this project to a halt.
But to bring this back to the topic, I have 6 items for the winter/early spring groups left. M79 in Lepus , M46-47-93 all in puppis, and M63 and M94 in Cnanes Venatici .Modest goals I admit, but I really hate leaving projects unfinished.

Same for me, to finish the Messier objects as I only seriously started observing in March of this year.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
6 registered and 4 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave Mitsky, Phillip Creed, okieav8r 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3801

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics