Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Observing >> Deep Sky Observing

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
jacobmarchio
sage

Reged: 08/30/12

Loc: Alabama
Can't Split The 6 Trapezium Stars
      #5534356 - 11/22/12 07:30 PM

Hi all,
I was out observing last night. It was simply beautiful; seeing was excellent and could sport high magnification. Most of my observing time was spent on the moon. As the moon was still up, I knew I wouldn't get much detail in M42, so I decided I would try to get all 6 stars in the trapezium (I had failed before, due to seeing etc.). Four of the stars were easy, even at low magnification- but even when I push my magnification to 208x (and seeing still excellent) I only see the 4. Do I need even more magnification, or am I just expecting to much from my 6" F/5 Newtonian?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
starrancher
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 06/09/09

Loc: Northern Arizona
Re: Can't Split The 6 Trapezium Stars new [Re: jacobmarchio]
      #5534358 - 11/22/12 07:35 PM

Light pollution and or moon glow can kill the faint guys .

helpwanted
Post Laureate

Reged: 07/04/07

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
Re: Can't Split The 6 Trapezium Stars new [Re: starrancher]
      #5534362 - 11/22/12 07:38 PM

I am going off the top of my head, but I think E & F are both around 12th magnitute, so light pollution can easily kill both.

jacobmarchio
sage

Re: Can't Split The 6 Trapezium Stars new [Re: helpwanted]
      #5534381 - 11/22/12 07:59 PM

Thanks for the response guys. I'm on the edge of a yellow/green zone, so not too much lp... the moon was up and shining brightly, so that may be it. I didn't think the moon would affect the Trapezium so much... oh well. Will have to try with no moon.

JasonBurry
sage

Reged: 04/27/12

Loc: Cape Spencer, NB, Canada
      #5534943 - 11/23/12 07:22 AM

I observe from a green/blue zone with an 8" reflector. 200x is what I've used to bring out the E and F components, but they're quite easily overwhelmed by the glare of the A-D stars.

I last observed them early this week. Star E was fairly easy, but still took some moments of concentration to bring out. Star F showed only intermittently with the seeing that night.

I think transparancy and seeing are most important here. They are tiny points of light compared to A-D.

J

Rich (RLTYS)
Postmaster

Reged: 12/18/04

Loc: New York (Long Island)
      #5535110 - 11/23/12 09:32 AM

Seeing conditions can also have a major effect on seeing 6 stars. With my 10" refl sometimes it's easy other times I just can't do it.

Rich (RLTYS)

BillFerris
Post Laureate

Reged: 07/17/04

Loc: Flagstaff, Arizona, USA
      #5535332 - 11/23/12 11:50 AM

The E and F stars (both 10th magnitude) should be visible in your 6 inch under dark skies with good seeing. Both are separated by about 4 arcseconds--well within the resolution limit of a 6 inch aperture--from their brighter neighbors. Often, the biggest challenge is digging the fainter stars from the glare of the brighter. F is about 100-times fainter than C. The difference in brightness between A and E isn't as great but is still enough to make detection of the fainter star a bit of work. Keep at it.

Bill in Flag

Sarkikos
Postmaster

Reged: 12/18/07

Loc: Suburban Maryland, USA
Re: Can't Split The 6 Trapezium Stars new [Re: BillFerris]
      #5535463 - 11/23/12 01:01 PM

You just need to catch them on a moonless night with good seeing and good transparency at a dark site. Then it's easy.

Mike

Sasa
professor emeritus

Reged: 11/03/10

Loc: Ricany, Czech Republic
      #5535817 - 11/23/12 04:14 PM

Jacob, it reminds me when I was trying to observe more than 4 stars in Trapezium for the first time. At that time, I was using as well 150mm Newton (f/5). It took me about 20-30 minutes of trying different magnifications, eyepieces and barlow combinations before I noticed star E (for record, this was at 176x: Pentax XF8,5 + Barlow XCel ED 2x). Once I knew what should I be looking for, I saw it also in other eyepieces which I was trying that night: 4mm University ortho (188x) and then even in Pentax XF8.5 alone (88x).

With two years of more experience, I'm able to see occasionally star E in my 80mm refractor (AS80), if the conditions are good. With 100mm ED refractor, I could also glimpse from time to time star F as well.

So the moral is, keep trying. Once you crack them it will be much easier to notice them next time.

Tony Flanders
Postmaster

Reged: 05/18/06

Loc: Cambridge, MA, USA
      #5535861 - 11/23/12 05:04 PM

Quote:

I was out observing last night. It was simply beautiful; seeing was excellent and could sport high magnification. Most of my observing time was spent on the moon. As the moon was still up, I knew I wouldn't get much detail in M42, so I decided I would try to get all 6 stars in the trapezium (I had failed before, due to seeing etc.). Four of the stars were easy, even at low magnification- but even when I push my magnification to 208x (and seeing still excellent) I only see the 4. Do I need even more magnification, or am I just expecting to much from my 6" F/5 Newtonian?

I'm a little surprised you couldn't see them -- especially E, which I find a lot more prominent than F.

I doubt the Moon had much to do with it. The stars are plenty bright for a 6-inch scope; the problem isn't the faintness of E and F but the brightness of A and C.

As others have said, they're a lot easier to see once you know what to look for.

Edited by Tony Flanders (11/23/12 08:48 PM)

azure1961p
Postmaster

Reged: 01/17/09

Loc: USA
Re: Can't Split The 6 Trapezium Stars new [Re: Tony Flanders]
      #5535925 - 11/23/12 05:37 PM

I've *played* with the trap and my 8" in 6/10 and 7/10 seeing under magnitude 5 sky's. The short of it is, if you can't see clean diffraction rings around the 4 trap stars the others are going to be tough to impossible even at 60x per inch. Generally garbage seeing leaves me with neither e nor f while mediocre brings both with patience and attention and good seeing had them held linger and far more often.

A trick. Here too isknowing WHERE to look. I gazejust *above* the trap +or south rather) by maybe 15 arc seconds and the fainter ones show peripherally. The fainter o e can be stubborn. In the 8" 200x is my favorite for this though even 140x can detect it. At 200x though nice diffraction patterns make an exquisite view.

Pete

rtomw77
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 10/06/04

Loc: Deer Valley, AZ
Re: Can't Split The 6 Trapezium Stars new [Re: azure1961p]
      #5536636 - 11/24/12 04:25 AM

Another trick is to observe within a time period of several hours of when Orion is due South and at its highest point for the night. This is the only way I can see E and F through the Phoenix light dome.

Tom

Daniel Mounsey
Vendor (Woodland Hills)

Reged: 06/12/02

#5536824 - 11/24/12 08:53 AM

Seeing E and F is exactly the same as seeing the Tettigoniidae insect in this photo. Once you know where to look, you'll spot them.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/reid2008/3808964245/

jacobmarchio
sage

Re: Can't Split The 6 Trapezium Stars new [Re: Daniel Mounsey]
      #5537364 - 11/24/12 03:09 PM

Thanks for the tips! Will try, but the moon is waxing full, so it might be a while before the moon and weather cooperate.

Happy Birthday Starman1
Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

Reged: 06/24/03

Loc: Los Angeles
      #5549000 - 12/01/12 03:45 PM

Here are some finder charts:
http://www.astropix.com/HTML/B_WINTER/TRAPEZ.HTM
and
http://www.laughton.com/paul/rfo/trap/trap.html
Note, I've seen these from my rooftop in LA with a 6" f/5, so perhaps seeing wasn't as good as you think. The F star, especially, requires that the brightest Trap star be a tiny little point. 200X is more than enough power to see them.

simpleisbetter
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 04/18/11

Re: Can't Split The 6 Trapezium Stars new [Re: Starman1]
      #5549021 - 12/01/12 04:02 PM

I agree, seeing and cooldown are very important. Any thermals and you'll be chasing E & F. Here's another link showing info on the Trap.
http://cityastronomy.com/trapezium-lg.jpg

Curiously, I seem to almost always see F first, and more often than E; not sure why, but it happens in both my current C6R and my former 4" f/7.

jacobmarchio
sage

Re: Can't Split The 6 Trapezium Stars new [Re: simpleisbetter]
      #5549422 - 12/01/12 09:25 PM

Thanks for the star charts. I'm pretty sure the seeing was quite good, and my scope was fully cooled. It is possible I just didn't know where to look, or the high, bright moon washed them out. Will try when conditions are good.

Erik Bakker
Post Laureate

Reged: 08/10/06

Loc: The Netherlands, Europe
      #5549814 - 12/02/12 04:59 AM

Jacob,

Most importantly, you need good seeing AND good transparency. Under those conditions, I saw all 6 in my 70mm fluorite at 140x. A bit more aperture and magnification help of course. But a fully cooled 6" and 208x is definitely enough. Just wait for better conditions.

jacobmarchio
sage

Re: Can't Split The 6 Trapezium Stars new [Re: Erik Bakker]
      #5551928 - 12/03/12 12:14 PM

Hi again,
I tried again last night, good seeing, cooled scope, moon up. Failure.

Again, the conditions were against me. The moon was up. I don't know if this helps, but the faintest star, the "B" star, was very dim, if that gives you any idea of the Moon's affect. Also, I forgot to take a print of one of the trapezium star charts, and couldn't exactly remember which stars they were by. And the different orientation of the Newt was throwing me off a bit

kansas skies
sage

Reged: 12/02/12

Loc: Kansas, USA
      #5555739 - 12/05/12 02:09 PM

I was able to spot the E and F components last night with a 4" refractor (f/10 achromat) at 100X. I usually can see E without too much difficulty, but I find that F requires very steady seeing conditions to separate it from C. Still, it will usually show itself as an elongation of C. Also, the F component seems to be much more difficult to isolate in my 8" SCT due to excessive glare from C - Bill.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
1 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave Mitsky, Phillip Creed, okieav8r 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5283

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics