Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Observing >> Deep Sky Observing

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
RolandosCY

Reged: 01/02/09

Loc: Nicosia, Cyprus
Re: is Leo I visual? new [Re: Feidb]
      #5796841 - 04/13/13 03:36 PM

Tried to try for it last night but... we just couldn't! Well, we had quite good conditions at our seaside site with SQM 21.03, great seeing, and a great southern horizon over the sea. I left Leo I towards the end of the session for the maximum dark adaptation and for the darkest possible conditions. Just as I swang the 18" dob towards Regulus, a track was heard out of nowhere with headlights on! The track belonged to somebody who was in the sea wsith a boat, and right at that time he dedided to pull it out on the trailer. It took them maybe 15 minutes. I gave it half an hour for my eyes to re-adapt but now Regulus moved to a lower position and towards a rather brighter part of the sky. This, coupled with the lost dark adaptation meant no Leo I even through 18"....

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Feidb
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 10/09/09

Loc: Nevada
Re: is Leo I visual? new [Re: RolandosCY]
      #5797202 - 04/13/13 05:24 PM

I feel your pain!

MikeRatcliff
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 06/12/04

Loc: Redlands, CA
Re: is Leo I visual? new [Re: RolandosCY]
      #5797205 - 04/13/13 05:28 PM

I also looked last night April 12 from the Riverside Club site at GMARS in California. According to the light pollution maps, the site is close to the blue-green boundary. However with the growth of the nearby town of Yucca Valley, it is probably in the solidly green zone now. I don't have an SQM, but based on previous experience with others using a meter, I'm guessing 21.3-ish, pretty good but not the best for California deserts. There were no clouds visible. Leo was close to zenith so that helped.

Leo I was pretty easy to find again, having seen it recently before. The best magnifications were 80x to 100x with narrow field eyepieces and absolutely keeping Regulus out of the field. I tried not to even look at Regulus while searching, but that was tough to avoid. On the star patterns, there are two 12-th magnitude stars with similar brightnesses nearby (to the north) that remind me of a pair of eyes. If you look close to those stars and move in the direction of Regulus, that puts you very close to Leo I. Quickly moving the telescope back and forth to see movement of the galaxy was needed to first see it.

I did also try for Leo II and Leo III. Leo III I believe i did see. There was a brightening that was in the correct location. In fact when I got to the area, I saw the brightening first , and it turned out it was in the correct location, giving me more confidence. I had printed detailed charts from Skytools 3.

Leo II was more difficult and I'm calling it a less than 50-50 observation. There is a faint 13th mag foreground star near the center, and I thought I could see something around this star (in fact saw the same last week). But I'm not going to call if confirmed until better conditions.

Mike

Kraus
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 03/10/12

Loc: Georgia.
Re: is Leo I visual? new [Re: MikeRatcliff]
      #5797762 - 04/14/13 01:21 AM

Third try tonight folks and I did see Leo I! It 'blinked' but I saw it. I ain't going crazy. I saw it. So there!

nytecam
Postmaster

Reged: 08/20/05

Loc: London UK
Re: is Leo I visual? new [Re: Kraus]
      #5814855 - 04/22/13 09:09 AM Attachment (11 downloads)

Quote:

Third try tonight folks and I did see Leo I! It 'blinked' but I saw it. I ain't going crazy. I saw it.So there!

Well done - perseverance won

Here for completeness is my final object on Apr 16 in Leo 1. Under the bright crescent moon and hazy conditions I didn't think it was possible to record it but nothing ventured nothing gained or learnt.

With a modest increase in exposure it's revealed - note the 'glow' of Regulus in the hazy conditions. To think that the object visually needs pristine skies but records in my poor SW London LP skies

kcolter
sage

Reged: 06/04/03

Loc: Missouri, USA
Re: is Leo I visual? new [Re: nytecam]
      #5816948 - 04/23/13 07:59 AM

I've seen Leo I several times from Missouri in a "green zone" with 40 inch Dob. I have not seen Leo II, but haven't tried hard.

Edward E
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 03/26/06

Loc: Tucson, Arizona
Re: is Leo I visual? new [Re: nytecam]
      #5817296 - 04/23/13 11:49 AM

Very nice images of Leo I!

The left image is very close to what I see with my 20" f3.9 (with Parracor ~ f4.5) and a Meade 14mm UWA 4000 series eyepiece(163X)keeping Regulus out of the FOV. Looks like a Globular Cluster that is just below resolution. Leo I and Palomar 2 over in Auriga look very much alike in my scope, only Pal 2 is easier to see.

Edited by Edward E (04/23/13 11:51 AM)

nytecam
Postmaster

Reged: 08/20/05

Loc: London UK
Re: is Leo I visual? new [Re: kcolter]
      #5817348 - 04/23/13 12:24 PM

Quote:

I've seen Leo I several times from Missouri in a "green zone" with 40 inch Dob. I have not seen Leo II, but haven't tried hard.

I think you should try for LeoIII eg the second 'brightest' of the trio

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
1 registered and 4 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave Mitsky, Phillip Creed, okieav8r 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1810

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics