Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Observing >> Deep Sky Observing

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
half meter
Postmaster

Reged: 05/05/04

Loc: Great Lakes
Re: How deep have you gone? new [Re: Bill Weir]
      #5812005 - 04/20/13 10:47 PM

I've seen 21+ mag. using the Collins I3 in my 30" Obsession. Dave Kriege and I were just laughing at how many "rice krispie" galaxies we were seeing. Uncountable....

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
IVM
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 01/07/08

Loc: Western New York
Re: How deep have you gone? new [Re: Starman1]
      #5813601 - 04/21/13 05:38 PM

Quote:

Quote:

...But isn't this really just an academic exercise? I've never understood the 'thrill' of detecting a featureless smudgy dot of a distant galaxy, which is just one of thousands like it (in apparent brightness, morphology and size.) Unless it's about bragging rights.

Not to mention the bias shifts toward ellipticals at great distances because they are typically the largest and brightest galaxies. If I'm looking at a galaxy at 500mly, I can almost guarantee it's an elliptical. ...

If I am looking at a _randomly chosen_ galaxy at 500 Mly, I can almost guarantee I am the first human to see it visually. Thrilling enough?

sslcm56

Reged: 07/20/12

Loc: Montgomery, Al.
Re: How deep have you gone? new [Re: IVM]
      #5814388 - 04/21/13 11:15 PM

I don't have the experiance that most of you do but I know that I get the same feeling looking at m31 or m13 or even m51 as ya'll do looking at faint fuzzies. I never thought that I would see the things that I have in the last year. I know what it's like to look out the window at the surface of the moon. I wouldn't trade any of it! I may not be the FIRST to see it visually but I don't know anyone outside of CN that has.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
2 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave Mitsky, Phillip Creed, okieav8r 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1909

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics