Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Observing >> Deep Sky Observing

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
N. Ham

Reged: 02/14/11

Loc: GA
Is it a sin?
      #5859452 - 05/14/13 09:36 AM

Last night was one of those rare nights when it was absolutely clear in middle Ga, not col at all, but cool enough to keep the mosquitoes too cool for a feeding frenzy. My first galaxy was the Whale. When I first saw it I knew it would be a special night as it just stood out like off a page os S & T. I wanted to just observe, but I knew the conditions were too awesome to not get a good look at the hockey stick, the sombrero, an a couple more dozen bright and fainter galaxies. Did several "spiral searches" from the bowels of Coma B., Virgo, and Canes Venateci, just watching the galaxies walk by. Strolling thru Markarian's chain was like watching a Christmas parade! I felt like a junkie who found the narcotics cabinet in the pharmacy left unlocked..M82 and M51 were just spectacular with details. The Owl's eyes were obvious. Looked at Saturn for about 30 seconds, but I will have other times for detail with the mighty ringed planet. Finished off the night with a tour of globulars compliments of Argo Navis. Was tempted to stay late but had to work today.

My question is, is it a sin to go to so many different targets with such great seeing and transparency. I felt le so much detail was very obvious I should sample a bunch of targets rather than concentrate on just a few. As it was I had to quit about 1100 and forgot to check a couple of galaxies that I now regret.

What is your opinion?

Nuts

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Feidb
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 10/09/09

Loc: Nevada
Re: Is it a sin? new [Re: N. Ham]
      #5859500 - 05/14/13 10:08 AM

I'm the guy that can get all I want in 30 seconds to a minute off each object. I rarely spend more than that on any one thing unless I spot something really unusual, am making a drawing, or am changing magnifications for a closer look. Many of my friends can spend an hour on a single object but usually when we compare notes, I've seen the same details they have. I find I spend most of that time letting my eye absorb the light first, then the rest of it studying any details (if there are any). With many faint fuzzies, especially the ones on the verge of seeing, there isn't a lot of detail to see so you have to let it settle in, but I can still do that in a few seconds.

I've had times where I've gone back to an object because something I saw hung with me and drew me back. I've had nights where I've observed 70 deep sky objects in a few hours and got all the detail I needed out of them.

I don't think it's a sin to spend any particular amount of time on an object. I don't think there's a point if you are just finding the object to rack up an object count. Then again, if that's your goal, why not? Everyone is doing this for a different reason.

blb
Post Laureate

Reged: 11/25/05

Loc: Piedmont NC
Re: Is it a sin? new [Re: Feidb]
      #5859526 - 05/14/13 10:24 AM

Is it a sin?
If you look at the root word that the ancients used, that we get our word sin from, it ment to miss the mark. It was an archery word that ment you missed the mark. Only you know what your goal was and what you wonted to do, so only you can know if you achived your goal. It sounds like you had a great evening and one that does not hapen that often. If you enjoyed your evening, thats all that matters.

kfiscus
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 07/09/12

Loc: Albert Lea, MN, USA
Re: Is it a sin? new [Re: blb]
      #5859537 - 05/14/13 10:29 AM

If it's a sin, I'm doomed. I like to find lots of stuff to check off. I then note which ones are cool enough to add to my favorites list for future nights.

Sarkikos
Postmaster

Reged: 12/18/07

Loc: Suburban Maryland, USA
Re: Is it a sin? new [Re: kfiscus]
      #5859654 - 05/14/13 11:29 AM

A sin to visit many objects in one night? That's funny. I've always thought it was a sin to spend all night looking at just a few objects, especially if you've already seen them a hundred times before. There are many sinners at my dark site.

For me, a great night is bagging 30 or more objects I've never seen before. (No goto or DSCs here.) Some nights I'll slow down for family and friends and take a tour of a few old favorites. But that's only a good night. That could never be a great night for me.

Mike

Ptarmigan
Lagopus lagopus

Reged: 09/23/04

Loc: Arctic
      #5859854 - 05/14/13 12:47 PM

A sin? No way. I would be a heretic if I did not go on a frenzy in a dark sky location.

Sarkikos
Postmaster

Re: Is it a sin? new [Re: Ptarmigan]
      #5859871 - 05/14/13 12:58 PM

"Men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil." John 3:19

Mike

csrlice12
Postmaster

Reged: 05/22/12

Loc: Denver, CO
Re: Is it a sin? new [Re: Sarkikos]
      #5859883 - 05/14/13 01:06 PM

We're already doomed, so sin away.....

csrlice12
Postmaster

Reged: 05/22/12

Loc: Denver, CO
      #5859885 - 05/14/13 01:07 PM

Quote:

"Men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil." John 3:19

Mike

Then expain all those street lights......

Sarkikos
Postmaster

Re: Is it a sin? new [Re: csrlice12]
      #5859886 - 05/14/13 01:09 PM

Guilty conscience.

Mike

aatt
sage

Reged: 07/26/12

Loc: CT
      #5859937 - 05/14/13 01:33 PM

It is a sin to not follow your bliss when conditions are great. Last night I had the same dilemma -M51 was popping spiral arms with direct vision. I had to stay awhile, but the post on the sunflower here drew me away and then M101 was going off too so.....I had to go into the bowl fishing around. After awhile Ophiuchus was perfectly open so I went glob hunting.All in all it was a mix of quick peeks and some lingering study.There were a couple of moments on those brighter Messiers that were fantastically revealing.Then I noticed it was 3:45 and I had to get up in 2 hours....

Tony Flanders
Postmaster

Reged: 05/18/06

Loc: Cambridge, MA, USA
      #5860083 - 05/14/13 02:33 PM

I usually mix short and long looks in any given session. I almost always finish any multi-hour session with a whirlwind tour of showpiece objects. Often start them that way, too.

Dave MitskyModerator
Postmaster

Reged: 04/08/02

Loc: PA, USA, Planet Earth
Re: Is it a sin? new [Re: Tony Flanders]
      #5860099 - 05/14/13 02:40 PM

I usually observe many dozens of objects during an all-night session, so the answer for me is no.

I do spend extra time on objects that I haven't logged before or special cases like comets and supernovae.

Dave Mitsky

The Planetman
professor emeritus

Reged: 01/27/06

Loc: Western KY
Re: Is it a sin? new [Re: Dave Mitsky]
      #5860167 - 05/14/13 02:56 PM

The sin would be in not taking advantage of the great transparency....

Kraus
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 03/10/12

Loc: Georgia.
      #5860244 - 05/14/13 03:39 PM

Hamsan,

Our Middle-Georgia weather tonight is supposed to be a repeat of last night. I was up until 12:00a.m. I spied only four galaxies. I spent an hour each on the Black Eye, Whirlpool, his neighbor and the Sombrero. Tonight's target is Messier 61 and Virgo's Richest NGC Field. See May 2013 issue of Sky and Telescope, page 60.

I don't worry about staying up too late. I can always sleep at work.

stevecoe
"Astronomical Tourist"

Reged: 04/24/04

Loc: Arizona, USA
Re: Is it a sin? new [Re: Kraus]
      #5860294 - 05/14/13 04:11 PM

There is no "right way" to view the sky. As long as you are enjoying yourself that cannot be "sinful".

Have fun;
Steve Coe

TimK

Reged: 01/21/06

Loc: Avon, OH
Re: Is it a sin? new [Re: stevecoe]
      #5860370 - 05/14/13 04:50 PM

I respectfully disagree.

There are many, many "right ways" to view the sky.

There is only one wrong way. . . With your eyes open and your mind closed.

Starman81
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/06/08

Loc: Metro Detroit, MI, USA
Re: Is it a sin? [Re: N. Ham]
      #5860430 - 05/14/13 05:06 PM

Whether you chose a few and fixated on them or went on a hit-and-run like you did, there was bound to be guilt either way. The reason for that is because you can never get enough of how objects appear during a clear, transparent night and the fact that there are an endless amount of objects to be observed--especially on a clear, transparent night.

N. Ham

Reged: 02/14/11

Loc: GA
      #5860908 - 05/14/13 08:38 PM

Thanks folks. Feel much better about my indiscretion. I feel like I am in a huge boat with a bunch of sinners. Glad to know I am nothe only one. I guess I was giving too much credit to others' " observing" discipline.

FirstSight
Duke of Deneb

Reged: 12/26/05

Loc: Raleigh, NC
      #5861117 - 05/14/13 10:30 PM

Well, there's the twangy country classic by the Kendells, Heaven's just a sin away . You clearly gave in, couldn't wait another day.

Edited by FirstSight (05/14/13 10:31 PM)

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
3 registered and 11 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave Mitsky, Phillip Creed, okieav8r 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1264

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics