Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu uh, User

Observing >> Deep Sky Observing

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)
kfiscus
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 07/09/12

Loc: Albert Lea, MN, USA
Re: What was the first galaxy you ever observed? new [Re: star drop]
      #5864135 - 05/16/13 10:38 AM

I'm surprised no one from the southern hemisphere has replied about the Magellanic Clouds.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
RAKing
Postmaster

Reged: 12/28/07

Loc: West of the D.C. Nebula
Re: What was the first galaxy you ever observed? new [Re: N. Ham]
      #5864221 - 05/16/13 11:15 AM

Like a lot of folks here, M31 was my first galaxy after looking at the Milky Way.

I grew up in Oklahoma and the Milky Way was a brilliant white river running through the sky. M31 was a naked eye 'blob' and my Dad gave me his binoculars so I could see it better. I later got a Sears refractor and carried it around for many years.

My Dad would take me outside and point out the various stars and other cool objects, starting when I was about 10 or 11. That was 56 years ago and I have been hooked ever since.

Cheers,

Ron

DJCalma

Reged: 01/17/13

Loc: Northern California
      #5864384 - 05/16/13 12:20 PM

Observation log from Friday April 8, 1983:

60 mm. F/11.7 Meade refractor
Found my first galaxies. M81/82 in Ursa Major!
Brighter than I thought, both in the same field of view. M81 is brighter and slightly oval while M82 looks edge on.

azure1961p
Postmaster

Reged: 01/17/09

Loc: USA
Re: What was the first galaxy you ever observed? new [Re: David Knisely]
      #5864712 - 05/16/13 02:19 PM

Reminds me of the time as a kid I thought in seeing the Pleidies I had located the Little Dipper!

Pete

SusanY

Reged: 02/05/13

Loc: Cape Town, South Africa
      #5864925 - 05/16/13 03:57 PM

Before I ever had a telescope - the two Magellanic Clouds. The first galaxy through a telescope - NGC 5128.

Astrodj
professor emeritus

Reged: 08/24/11

Loc: Missouri
Re: What was the first galaxy you ever observed? new [Re: Tony Flanders]
      #5865380 - 05/16/13 06:01 PM

"I'm intrigued how many people's second galaxy was M51, considering that it's not among the brightest."

Me too. I looked for M51 for five years with a 3" reflector with no success. No idea what I was doing. The images I had seen made me think it would be easier than it was. I finally saw it when I got the Cave 10" when I was 16.

M82 was my second galaxy BTW.

"Reminds me of the time as a kid I thought in seeing the Pleidies I had located the Little Dipper!"

I made that mistake also.

"Don't feel too bad about that. When I was 11 and playing with my older brother's 7-12x35 binoculars (he was a bird watcher), I had pointed them south one summer night when I saw a nice big oval fuzzy patch with stars around it. I instantly thought I had seen the Andromeda Galaxy, and it wasn't until a few years later that I learned it was actually the Lagoon Nebula. Still, I had actually *found* something in the sky, which was an accomplishment in and of itself. That pair of binoculars got me into astronomy in a big way. Clear skies to you."

Looking back on those days makes me laugh. I don't take myself to seriously. M8 was another easy naked eye object I wondered about back then. When I finally got my Edmund 3" Newtonian I saw what you described, but had no idea what it was. I felt like I was discovering something, which for me of course I was.

I looked for the Cone Nebula and the Horsehead when I first started out too. I didn't know how tough those were at the time either. The pictures in my book looked pretty bright. I really wanted to see those two!

N. Ham

Reged: 02/14/11

Loc: GA
Re: What was the first galaxy you ever observed? new [Re: Astrodj]
      #5865925 - 05/16/13 09:33 PM

I remember being frustrated at not being able to find the horsehead with my 3" reflector way back then. In looking back, I am somewhat ashamed as interested as I was in 1971 in astronomy, that I let high school, girls, college, med school and post doctoral training get in the way of astronomy for so long. I didn't even know what a Messier object was until about 1996! I know that comet Hyutake(sp?) was what got me going again. I think I blundered into an issue of Astronomy or S&T at the local Barnes and Noble, and that was how it got started again for me. I am still not where I want to be in observing and describing what I see to share with others. I really appreciate this message board and those that contribute to it.

Keep it coming.

FJA
Sketcher Extraordinaire

Reged: 11/17/04

Loc: 50.65° N, 1.15° W
      #5866723 - 05/17/13 09:46 AM

M31 for me also. I was interested in astronomy as a kid but, like most people, let it drop until I was an adult. I was 22 when I got back into it in 1992 and in September that year, I loaned a 6" dob from our local society which I'd joined in that summer. M31 was probably the first deep sky object I looked at with that scope.

jcco

Reged: 02/24/11

Re: What was the first galaxy you ever observed? new [Re: FJA]
      #5868073 - 05/17/13 08:17 PM

Hello,

I got my first scope in spring 2007 (10" Dob) and the very first object I observed through it was NGC 2392 (The Eskimo Nebula) and the second one was M104 which was my first Galaxy ever outside the Milky Way.

On that same night I also observed M81, M82 and M51 but M104 was the first one.

Bye,

JC

kfiscus
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 07/09/12

Loc: Albert Lea, MN, USA
Re: What was the first galaxy you ever observed? new [Re: jcco]
      #5868159 - 05/17/13 09:18 PM

Very impressive list of first memories!

Astrodj
professor emeritus

Re: What was the first galaxy you ever observed? new [Re: jcco]
      #5868485 - 05/17/13 11:51 PM

Welcome to CN, JC.

1st light the Eskimo, first galaxy M104? That is an unusual first two objects indeed! Wow. I think you are the first one to have M104 as a first galaxy in this thread.

Richard McC
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/31/04

Loc: Australia
Re: What was the first galaxy you ever observed? new [Re: kfiscus]
      #5869260 - 05/18/13 12:38 PM

Quote:

I'm surprised no one from the southern hemisphere has replied about the Magellanic Clouds.

I'll do so now - LMC and SMC naked eye. Away from city lights both are obvious targets. I cannot remember what number three was.

MikeBOKC
Post Laureate

Reged: 05/10/10

Loc: Oklahoma City, OK
      #5869382 - 05/18/13 01:52 PM

M104 was my first galaxy too. Got my Meade 826 Starfinder in the early 80s and set it up in the yard . . . my first scope since the traditional 60mm refractor when I was a kid. I just started scanning the skies and -- bingo! -- ran across a galaxy! Checking charts I saw that is was 104, and I have to say it remains my favorite to this day, having seen it now in a dozen or more scopes.

MikeBOKC
Post Laureate

Reged: 05/10/10

Loc: Oklahoma City, OK
      #5869383 - 05/18/13 01:52 PM

M104 was my first galaxy too. Got my Meade 826 Starfinder in the early 80s and set it up in the yard . . . my first scope since the traditional 60mm refractor when I was a kid. I just started scanning the skies and -- bingo! -- ran across a galaxy! Checking charts I saw that is was 104, and I have to say it remains my favorite to this day, having seen it now in a dozen or more scopes.

timb

Reged: 12/18/12

Loc: buffalo ny
Re: What was the first galaxy you ever observed? new [Re: MikeBOKC]
      #5869521 - 05/18/13 03:01 PM

My first was M81 just about a month ago. Lot easier finding them after the first one.

Astrodj
professor emeritus

Re: What was the first galaxy you ever observed? new [Re: MikeBOKC]
      #5870563 - 05/19/13 12:19 AM

M104 is one of my favorites as well. The first time I observed it in my 10" at age 16 I was amazed at how well defined it was. I had darker skies then.

Niels2011

Reged: 06/09/11

Loc: UK
      #5870737 - 05/19/13 04:01 AM

M31 then M33, which I spent a good half hour hunting on that first light evening in 2010 from my mag 5 backyard. I kept looking because it was supposed to be easy I thought - it was a very good early lesson in finding faint fuzzy things, as I finally saw the subtle lightening of the background sky which was M33.

aatt
sage

Reged: 07/26/12

Loc: CT
Re: What was the first galaxy you ever observed? new [Re: Niels2011]
      #5871632 - 05/19/13 02:38 PM

Definitely M31 then M33. After that it was the big elliptical Messier (forgot the number) in Virgo.

azure1961p
Postmaster

Reged: 01/17/09

Loc: USA
Re: What was the first galaxy you ever observed? new [Re: aatt]
      #5872741 - 05/19/13 10:46 PM

M87?

Pete

tjspelich

Reged: 09/12/09

Loc: Bella Vista, AR
      #5873104 - 05/20/13 05:22 AM

M31 through a pair of Swift Audubon 8.5x42 binoculars.
Tim

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)

Extra information
5 registered and 9 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave Mitsky, Phillip Creed, okieav8r 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3480

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics