Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Observing >> Deep Sky Observing

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
Tony Flanders
Postmaster

Reged: 05/18/06

Loc: Cambridge, MA, USA
Re: Most over-rated DSO? new [Re: JasonBurry]
      #5980107 - 07/19/13 04:23 PM

Quote:

Never been bored by M31 myself....

Agreed. Frustrated sometimes, but never bored.

As it happens, I am right now editing an article on observing M31. My only problem is how to cram all the information into three pages, because there's so much to see.

Tony Flanders
Associate Editor, Sky & Telescope

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
ThreeD
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 12/23/08

Loc: Sacramento suburbs
Re: Most over-rated DSO? new [Re: Tony Flanders]
      #5980787 - 07/20/13 01:18 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Never been bored by M31 myself....

Agreed. Frustrated sometimes, but never bored.

As it happens, I am right now editing an article on observing M31. My only problem is how to cram all the information into three pages, because there's so much to see.

Tony Flanders
Associate Editor, Sky & Telescope

2 part article?

azure1961p
Postmaster

Reged: 01/17/09

Loc: USA
Re: Most over-rated DSO? new [Re: ThreeD]
      #5980863 - 07/20/13 03:33 AM

+1

This is a little universe all in itself without peer really. I'd think a two parter would be a great idea - and nice marketing . Any observer new or advanced who reads part one HAS to read the following issue.

Pete

Edited by azure1961p (07/20/13 03:35 AM)

City Kid
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/06/09

Loc: Northern Indiana
Re: Most over-rated DSO? new [Re: mountain monk]
      #5981106 - 07/20/13 09:53 AM

Quote:

If you be a doubting Thomas, then come on out and look at M31 from a black/gray zone sky at 6800 feet with a NP-101 and a 17mm Ethos. I doubt you will be bored.

+1 !! I always thought M31 was a "nice" galaxy but nothing special about it other than I could see it from my light polluted backyard. THEN I observed it through my NP101 at the Nebraska Star Party (black zone) with my 13mm Ethos and I couldn't stop looking at it! It was like a picture only much better.

City Kid
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/06/09

Loc: Northern Indiana
Re: Most over-rated DSO? new [Re: azure1961p]
      #5981141 - 07/20/13 10:12 AM

Quote:

The *Blinking Planetary* in Cygnus since 1. It does no such thing, 2. Any number of averted vision sensitive deepsky objects will appear to vanish and reappear given proper or improper attention.
Its just a nice fairly bright planetary with an easy central star. That's all.

I think this one, like most, depends on the skies and the telescope being used. I just recently observed this one with my 12.5" under moderately dark skies and I was totally blown away. I was so impressed I posted in the Deep Sky Observing forum about it, thinking it was the first time I had ever observed it. Then I went through my notes and realized I had seen it before but with my 8" in my backyard. It just didn't make an impression on me with an 8" in light polluted skies like it did with a 12.5" under dark skies. Sure lots of objects are visible with averted vision and disappear with direct vision. What sets the Blinking Planetary apart is how incredibly bright it is with averted vision yet invisible with direct vision.

ADW

Reged: 07/26/13

Loc: Penticton, BC, Canada
Re: Most over-rated DSO? new [Re: GlennLeDrew]
      #5991687 - 07/26/13 05:23 PM

Most over-hyped is the Jewel Box Cluster, NGC 4755 in Crux. It is just okay in a 14.5-inch Dob. Those who take something like a 4-inch refractor for their first observing run in the southern hemisphere are very disappointed -- the cluster with the great name is sparse in small apertures.

All of these far-southern (south of dec -40)open clusters are superior to the Jewel Box:
NGC 3532, the Football Cluster in Carina, gets my vote as the finest open cluster in the sky.
NGC 2516 in Carina
NGC 2547, the Heart Cluster, in Vela
IC 2391, the Omicron Velorum Cluster
NGC 3293, the Gem Cluster in Carina
IC 2602, the Theta Carinae Cluster
NGC 3766 in Centaurus
NGC 6025 in Triangulum Australe
NGC 6231 in Scorpius (forms the coma of the unaided-eye False Comet)
IC 4651 in Ara

But ask any northern hemisphere amateur who hasn't yet observed the far southern sky what open cluster they most want to see and they will probably name the Jewel Box which offers no more than say M36, the least of the three Messiers in Auriga.

Alan Whitman

GlennLeDrew
Postmaster

Reged: 06/18/08

Loc: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Re: Most over-rated DSO? new [Re: ADW]
      #5992479 - 07/27/13 05:59 AM

Alan,
After four trips to Oz, I have to say you're right about so many of your listed clusters being rather more impressive than the Jewel Box. The first time I saw the latter, it was a bit of a let-down, and only reinforced by the numerous but less trumpeted clusters splattering that deep southern milky way.

WadeVC
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/02/05

Loc: Lodi, California,
Re: Most over-rated DSO? new [Re: ensign]
      #6072640 - 09/10/13 05:58 AM

Quote:

Heresy! No DSO is over-rated!

I'll go along with that.

I used to take part in questions like this, but look at some of the replies to others' responses...I get so tired of someone saying what THEY think is over/under rated, and *BOOM*, there always has to be a few that "challenge" or "Disagrees" with what someone else chose as their answer.

If someone thinks, for example, that M20 is over-rated, how can (or why would) anyone try and question what one likes or dislikes, or try to "correct" them on their choice?

But I'll bite. My choice would be M49

MarcF650R
sage

Reged: 02/25/09

Loc: Mississauga, Ontario
      #6072769 - 09/10/13 08:32 AM

M31 in our TV 76 or Pronto could rank as an underrated experience...especially in a star-studded dark sky...

aa6ww
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 10/23/11

Loc: Sacramento, Calif.
      #6078176 - 09/13/13 02:56 AM

I love the blinking planetary. In my C14, I kept going back to it again and again during one weekend of viewing. Every time I found it, I would look at it, then look away and was just tickled at how it literally would blink at you. I always thought it was the blind spot right in the center of your eye which caused it to blink. Regardless, one can't really have a discussion about this object without actually looking at it. That's whats fun about the Blinking Planetary. People that do lots of talking out here, and don't really observe, cant really comment on this object. How funny is that. It definitely makes this object as one of the very few objects people really don't talk about in depth, cuz you cant see it blink unless you've actually seen it.

.... Ralph in Sacramento.

Quote:

The *Blinking Planetary* in Cygnus since 1. It does no such thing, 2. Any number of averted vision sensitive deepsky objects will appear to vanish and reappear given proper or improper attention.
Its just a nice fairly bright planetary with an easy central star. That's all.

Pete

Philler
sage

Reged: 07/15/13

Loc: Kansas, USA
Re: Most over-rated DSO? new [Re: aa6ww]
      #6112094 - 10/01/13 10:14 PM

Well, sling mud if you want. But the most overrated,(I got sick of hearing about), DSO is the "Coat Hanger" Cr 399.
In the '90s in my club we used to have this kind of control freak guy who would be at member star parties who would go around a talk to people who were using their scopes and offer his sometimes unrequested expertise. It seemed like his info on where a DSO was located was always "it's north, or south, or NW, or NE of the "Coat Hanger." But I never recall him at his own 8" or 10" Meade SCT. IMO, he wasn't helpful, just annoying.
Another thing I find annoying at star parties is when someone hollers out something like, "Hey everyone, there's this grazes going on, or you gotta see this or that!" Like we are all supposed to drop what we are doing. I like others learned to just ignore this and just continue doing what I'm doing. I might take exception with a good fireball or if we get the Aurora Borealis (uncommon at 38 deg. N.)
The Trapezium is also overrated.

Edited by Philler (10/02/13 12:49 AM)

wavecloud
sage

Reged: 09/22/13

Re: Most over-rated DSO? new [Re: Philler]
      #6112164 - 10/01/13 10:45 PM

M44. It's a nice binocular cluster but pales in comoarison to most other bino or small scope clusters.
Barnard's Loop is also overrated, a severe challenge but not even a pretty one.
M34 is a loveley cluster but is no better than less famous clusters like M50.
But what's so bad about the Bubble? Or M49? Or M11? I can never get enough of M11!

mwedel
Works with Sauropods

Reged: 12/16/07

Loc: Claremont, CA
Re: Most over-rated DSO? new [Re: wavecloud]
      #6142155 - 10/17/13 12:56 AM

I had never seen the dust lanes in M31 until a couple of years ago. I was out at Afton Canyon in the Mojave Desert with the XT10 and a 5" f/5 reflector. Two dust lanes were visible in both scopes at low mag. In fact, I had people coming by who had never looked through a telescope in their lives, and they sat down at the XT10 and saw two dust lanes immediately.

So, that kinda ruined me on M31, because it has never looked that good since.

Most overrated? How about M57. Every time I check in on it, it's still just a donut. Sometimes a big bright donut with some filling, but a donut nonetheless. In contrast to M27, which goes through this nice bow tie/apple core/football transition as aperture or sky darkness or dark adaption (or all of the above) improve.

I now expect to be overthrown...by the fellowship of the Ring.

azure1961p
Postmaster

Reged: 01/17/09

Loc: USA
Re: Most over-rated DSO? new [Re: mwedel]
      #6143941 - 10/17/13 11:05 PM

Ok here's another one and it bores me to even here its name - The Hyades. Big, spread out - yawn. The Pleiades by contrast is riveting.
Always - I mean going back decades - never found M44 anything remarkable but its so very popular to everyone else. Its like a jumbo Dolidze.

Pete

Edited by azure1961p (10/17/13 11:09 PM)

Tony Flanders
Postmaster

Reged: 05/18/06

Loc: Cambridge, MA, USA
      #6144283 - 10/18/13 05:52 AM

Quote:

Ok here's another one and it bores me to even here its name - The Hyades.

Well, just goes to show. The two objects last listed in this thread happen to be two of my absolute favorites: the Ring and the Hyades.

I think it has a lot to do with what instruments you use, and also how attentive. To some extent, when you find a DSO boring, that indicates that you need to work harder to find out why it's interesting.

The Hyades are a poor target for conventional telesscopes, but they're superb through binoculars, and they're one of the top naked-eye targets in the whole sky. Pay close attention to the doubles and to the colors of the stars.

The Ring, by contrast, is best through big telescopes. It is overwhelmingly big, bright, and beautiful through my 12.5-inch Dob. It displays a wealth of detail in the structure of the ring itself, which varies greatly in brightness and thickness. Also along the inner edge. But above all, in the subtle, intricate structure visible outside the main ring under dark skies.

The wisest thing said in this thread is that there are no bad DSOs.

RussL
Music Maker

Reged: 03/18/08

Loc: Cayce and Lancaster, SC
Re: Most over-rated DSO? new [Re: kfiscus]
      #6144588 - 10/18/13 10:33 AM

I think that to the general public most anything that requires averted vision is a let down.

"Ya mean I con only see something if I don't really look at it?" LOL.

acochran
professor emeritus

Reged: 06/19/08

Loc: So. CA
Re: Most over-rated DSO? new [Re: RussL]
      #6146010 - 10/19/13 02:36 AM

Quote:

I think that to the general public most anything that requires averted vision is a let down.

I remember showing the Lagoon Nebula to someone from the general public. To me it's darned near the prettiest thing in the summer sky, but this person wasn't impressed. I was disheartened. Maybe they didn't know what it was and I should have explained it better, or maybe they had nothing to compare it with? So many objects in the sky are faint fuzzies, this object fills my eyepiece and is bright!
Andy

Philler
sage

Reged: 07/15/13

Loc: Kansas, USA
Re: Most over-rated DSO? new [Re: acochran]
      #6147831 - 10/20/13 03:44 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I remember showing the Lagoon Nebula to someone from the general public. To me it's darned near the prettiest thing in the summer sky, but this person wasn't impressed. I was disheartened. Maybe they didn't know what it was and I should have explained it better, or maybe they had nothing to compare it with? So many objects in the sky are faint fuzzies, this object fills my eyepiece and is bright!
Andy

I love those faint fuzzy smudges as well as those that resolve better. It's all part of the fun of exploring the night sky.

Scanning4Comets
Markus

Reged: 12/26/04

Loc: Ontario, Canada
      #6149189 - 10/21/13 01:09 AM

Quote:

I don't find M31 all that disappointing. The main problem with it is that it is so big and that to see all of its detail requires a lot of study at a sort of "magic power" that you have to find yourself. For so many years, I never saw the dust lanes in M31 until I increased the power by accident one time. Then, the first lane became rather obvious, even in my 9.25 inch SCT. My magic power for that scope was with my 14mm Ultrawide eyepiece (168x), although the dust lanes also showed up well at only 98x. Indeed, my 14 inch shows dark knots in the edges of the large arm that passes below the core region at around 134x, so the galaxy is hardly devoid of detail. It just takes a little study, that's all. Clear skies to you.

--------------------
David W. Knisely . . . . . . "If you aren't having fun in this hobby, you aren't doing it right."

That's quite an interesting factoid David !!! Thanks for sharing! I am always looking at M-31 because I really like to look at it try to see more each time. Your post is inspiring to try out!

I'm going to try to see those 2 dust lanes and mess with different powers to check them out.

Thanks,

omahaastro
sage

Reged: 08/30/06

Loc: Omaha, NE
Re: Most over-rated DSO? new [Re: Scanning4Comets]
      #6150920 - 10/22/13 12:22 AM

I wonder how many folks who are bored with M-31, are overlooking it's many HII regions and globulars.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
3 registered and 5 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave Mitsky, Knuklhdastrnmr, Phillip Creed 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3309

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics