Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Observing >> Deep Sky Observing

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Feidb
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 10/09/09

Loc: Nevada
Re: Has anyone seen Stephen's Quintet? new [Re: hokkaido53]
      #6094289 - 09/21/13 11:36 PM

I routinely see all 5 in my 16-inch, but the skies have to be dark to see it at all. Buddy is right. If you can first find NGC-7331 and then see any of its companions, then swing a little to the southwest? or is it southeast? and you'll find that little fuzzy lump. In a smaller scope, you'll have a challenge separating them into individual galaxies but in mine it's pretty easy, usually, depending on transparency and darkness.

In my 18mm 82 degree eyepiece (102X), I can pick up NGC-7331, all of it's companions and the quintet in the same field of view.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
ManuelJ
professor emeritus

Reged: 12/19/05

Loc: Madrid, Spain
Re: Has anyone seen Stephen's Quintet? new [Re: uwe_glahn]
      #6099852 - 09/25/13 07:27 AM

Quote:

I was very surprised when I tried the group a couple years ago with my small 4" reflector. I only knew the group through a 8" as pretty tough but it also works with 4". The key is 1. to know exactly where the group is and 2. magnification. My best view with the 4" was with 88x (1,1mm AP) and I could separate two faint spots - HCG 92a (NGC 7320) and HCG 92b/d (NGC 7318a/b).

You are not alone, I've also observed them with 4 inches. Anyone with 3 inch?

azure1961p
Postmaster

Reged: 01/17/09

Loc: USA
Re: Has anyone seen Stephen's Quintet? new [Re: ManuelJ]
      #6099923 - 09/25/13 08:37 AM

I failed with an 8" under better than 6v sky's but I am confident had I better reference for exact position it would have shown. I've seen similarly faint galaxies elsewhere but I knew with certainty where to look. General scanning in and about the area in a general way yielded nothing.

Pete

Edited by azure1961p (09/25/13 08:39 AM)

Starman1
Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

Reged: 06/24/03

Loc: Los Angeles
Re: Has anyone seen Stephan's Quintet? new [Re: Philler]
      #6102617 - 09/26/13 04:19 PM Attachment (27 downloads)

Quote:

I didn't look through all the past threads and I am sure this has been posted before.
I have tried time and again from some pretty decent dark skies and no luck--not even a hint of Stephen's Quintet in my 10" reflector. I have tried different powers. I should have stayed up very late at the TSP and tried, but it seemed right on que we would get clouded out about 10 or 11 each night. Someone said a couple of shots of Jack D. actually helps your averted vision. (Just kidding)

Stephan's Quintet (actually 6 galaxies here) is very near NGC7331, one of the brightest and largest galaxies in Pegasus. If you can't see 7331, don't even bother to try for Stephan's Quintet.
But if you can see one or two of the 4 companions to 7331 (together they form the "Deerlick Group"), then only an eyepiece field (or less) away from 7331 lies Stephan's Quintet.
A magnification of 70-100X will let you know it's there (small smudges right next to each other), but 150-200X is a better view (and higher if the darkness of your skies allows it).
I attach a field 42' wide, with NGC7331 in the upper left and Stephan's Quintet in the lower right.

Edited by Starman1 (09/26/13 04:30 PM)

Starman1

Re: Has anyone seen Stephan's Quintet? new [Re: Starman1]
      #6102619 - 09/26/13 04:20 PM Attachment (34 downloads)

and here is a finder chart for all 6. This is a 20' field.
Magnitudes are:
7317--13.6
7318A--14.3
7318B--13.9
7319--13.1
7320--13.2
7320C--16.7
Don't feel bad if 7320C isn't visible, and don't feel bad if 7318A&B aren't seen as 2 separate galaxies.
Even under pristine skies (>mag.7), 7320C was a "limit" observation for my 12.5".

Edited by Starman1 (09/26/13 04:30 PM)

David Knisely
Postmaster

Reged: 04/19/04

Loc: southeastern Nebraska
Re: Has anyone seen Stephen's Quintet? new [Re: Philler]
      #6103447 - 09/27/13 02:25 AM

Yup, this has been posted in another recent thread. All I remember seeing of Stephan's Quintet in my 8 inch was a very faint fuzzy 3-lobed blob. Mostly, that it the combination of NGC 7320, 7318A/B, and NGC 7319. Sometimes I can catch NGC 7317 on a good night with the 8 inch just outside of the "tri-lobed blob", but it is hard to see it as there is a faint star almost on top of it. In my 9.25 inch SCT, the tri-lobed blob becomes separate galaxies, but NGC 7318A/B tends to remain a slightly irregular but single fuzzy blob. In my 14 inch, I can get the A/B pair as a sort of "double blob", so they are somewhat resolved in that scope. Indeed, Stephan's Quintet was quite a bit easier than some of the galaxies in the two groups I observed last night (the NGC 6962 group and the NGC 7782 group). Clear skies to you.

ensign
professor emeritus

Reged: 12/16/08

Loc: Southwestern Ontario
Re: Has anyone seen Stephen's Quintet? new [Re: ensign]
      #6104151 - 09/27/13 12:57 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Piece of cake from my light-polluted back yard with a 4.3 inch scope and a Mallincam.

Yes, I know. I didn't really **see** it.

So what did it look like on your monitor? How many of the galaxies did you see? Etc., etc., etc.

Buddy, I made that observation a year or two ago, so I need to repeat the observation to be able to answer with complete accuracy. At the time I was experimenting with a variety of light pollution filters, so I recall that the image was monochromatic, but stood out very clearly on the monitor. I also recall (and I don't really completely trust memories that old) that I was able to see all five members of the quintet and that I was able to observe the ovals of the galaxies with brightening towards the centers.

Over the last few days, a high pressure system has stalled over Southern Ontario giving excellent viewing conditions. Part of my observing was to look at Stephan's Quintet - one session through-the-eyepiece with my 9.25 Edge and later with the Mallincam and my 6" Newt.

Finding the quintet was straightforward with Sky Safari Plus. The field is quite distinctive with two bright stars forming a triangle with the group.

In the 9", at first I thought I might be seeing the bright cores of the galaxies where I thought they should be. Then I realized that these are three faint stars (don't know the magnitude) that conveniently point right at the quintet.

This has puzzled me about M104 - that is, why people sometimes have trouble finding it. It, too, has a line of three stars pointing right at it. But I digress.

Having found the spot where the quintet is supposed to be, I tried a variety of magnifications (and wish I'd paid better attention to which EP I settled on).

In any case, the quintet presented much like NGC 891 does in my modest aperture, in that it is at the edge of my ability and drifts in and out of visibility depending, I think, on my eye position. In any case, I could make out that there was something there in terms of faint ovals, but could see no detail.

The next night the Mallincam and the 6" revealed the quintet clearly at the aforementioned position. They presented as very light grey oval blobs without much detail at all and much fainter than I remember them in the 4.3" a couple of years ago.

Now if I can just get a glimpse at my nemesis NGC 6118 through the eyepiece . . . but no dice so far. The Mallincam, at least, has served to prove that the galaxy actually exists and is where the charts say it is.

Yesterday I decided to re-observe 891. It turns out that my recollection of its difficulty was overstated. I found and observed it quite easily, an elongated streak showing up immediately in the Pentax 40 at 58x. I tried other EPs but the best view was with the 40. I wasn't able to see the dust lane.

Edited by ensign (09/28/13 09:20 AM)

John_G
sage

Reged: 01/18/10

Re: Has anyone seen Stephen's Quintet? new [Re: azure1961p]
      #6105337 - 09/28/13 05:32 AM Attachment (29 downloads)

Quote:

I failed with an 8" under better than 6v sky's but I am confident had I better reference for exact position it would have shown. I've seen similarly faint galaxies elsewhere but I knew with certainty where to look. General scanning in and about the area in a general way yielded nothing.

Pete

I've seen it only once (sort of) but have searched enough times now that I've now got the star hop pretty much committed to memory. A decent chart is essential the first couple of attempts. As others have mentioned, first locate NGC 7331 and go from there. SkyTool's chart attached. Good luck.

Niels2011

Reged: 06/09/11

Loc: UK
Re: Has anyone seen Stephen's Quintet? new [Re: John_G]
      #6107910 - 09/29/13 05:26 PM

I saw all 5 this summer in my 8" Newtonian at 168x from Bortle 4 skies. The first occasion didn't resolve 7318a/b:
5th August "Two components clearly seen, 7320, 7318 a/b seen as one component. 7319, 7317, faint fuzzy patches to either side, both these need checking"
But second and third times did:
7th August "Stephan's Quintet. All 5 seen with some effort and over-breathing. Brightest three easily seen and including separation of close components. Outlying two seen with persistent effort"
12th August "Stephan's Quintet. Definitely confirmed all members"

I'm keen to try and repeat the observation from my light polluted home skies, bortle 6 or worse sometimes, but I suspect it won't be possible.

Clear skies

Niels2011

Reged: 06/09/11

Loc: UK
Re: Has anyone seen Stephen's Quintet? new [Re: Niels2011]
      #6129616 - 10/10/13 06:05 PM

Quote:

I saw all 5 this summer in my 8" Newtonian at 168x from Bortle 4 skies. The first occasion didn't resolve 7318a/b:
5th August "Two components clearly seen, 7320, 7318 a/b seen as one component. 7319, 7317, faint fuzzy patches to either side, both these need checking"
But second and third times did:
7th August "Stephan's Quintet. All 5 seen with some effort and over-breathing. Brightest three easily seen and including separation of close components. Outlying two seen with persistent effort"
12th August "Stephan's Quintet. Definitely confirmed all members"

I'm keen to try and repeat the observation from my light polluted home skies, bortle 6 or worse sometimes, but I suspect it won't be possible.

Update: I did manage to observe the brightest components (7320 and 7318a/b seen as one) from Bortle 6 light polluted skies in my back garden in an 8" Newtonian. Very pleasing as I had not expected it, having tried before. It did help to have found them recently in darker skies. Careful location with Uranometria was necessary, and then some persistence to observe them with averted vision 10-30% of the time, whereas under dark skies they were found by scanning in the general area.

Clear skies

kt4hx

Reged: 01/21/09

Loc: Fredericksburg, Va
Re: Has anyone seen Stephen's Quintet? new [Re: Niels2011]
      #6138335 - 10/15/13 04:26 AM

I observed it last month from a Bortle 2 location with the Z10. However, as Don mentioned I was unable to resolve 7318A/B as separate objects. It was definitely a challenge and averted vision helped to confirm they were there.

aatt
sage

Reged: 07/26/12

Loc: CT
Re: Has anyone seen Stephen's Quintet? new [Re: kt4hx]
      #6138892 - 10/15/13 12:02 PM

I finally bagged it from my back yard this weekend.

kt4hx

Reged: 01/21/09

Loc: Fredericksburg, Va
Re: Has anyone seen Stephen's Quintet? new [Re: aatt]
      #6138944 - 10/15/13 12:33 PM

Excellent, glad you were successful. The same night under Bortle 2 skies that I got Stephen's, I was able to log two in the Deerlick Group, NGC 7340 and NGC 7335. The remainder were no shows in the Z10.

SpaceConqueror3

Reged: 09/19/13

Loc: Phinney Ridge, Seattle, WA
Re: Has anyone seen Stephen's Quintet? new [Re: kt4hx]
      #6141135 - 10/16/13 03:18 PM

From my observing log, I see that I saw NCG 7331 and that could barely make out NGC 7320 with my XT10 Dob back in 2006 when I was at the Mt. Kobau Star Party in Canada. I also noted that transparency at that time in the morning wasn't totally optimal. I don't believe I've try to look at that Group since then.

stevecoe
"Astronomical Tourist"

Reged: 04/24/04

Loc: Arizona, USA
Re: Has anyone seen Stephen's Quintet? new [Re: SpaceConqueror3]
      #6147077 - 10/19/13 05:13 PM

Howdy all;

Well, I did not plan it that way, but the subject of my "What's Up" article for this month is Stephan's Quintet. It is a fascinating group. I included my drawings and an image from the NGC/IC Project.

You can get to it from the front page, enjoy;
Steve Coe

nytecam
Postmaster

Reged: 08/20/05

Loc: London UK
Re: Has anyone seen Stephen's Quintet? new [Re: ensign]
      #6148702 - 10/20/13 04:44 PM Attachment (16 downloads)

Quote:

Piece of cake from my light-polluted back yard with a 4.3 inch scope and a Mallincam. Yes, I know. I didn't really **see** it.

Me neither except on the laptop screen but all this pleading got me opening up the backyard obsy tonight for this 60s snap through my 12" and annotated below. Did I mention London's LP and moonlight?? There's a 6th gxy to the left and more obvious in colour version here

blb
Post Laureate

Reged: 11/25/05

Loc: Piedmont NC
Re: Has anyone seen Stephen's Quintet? new [Re: stevecoe]
      #6149488 - 10/21/13 09:21 AM

Quote:

Howdy all;

Well, I did not plan it that way, but the subject of my "What's Up" article for this month is Stephan's Quintet. It is a fascinating group. I included my drawings and an image from the NGC/IC Project.

Steve Coe

Thanks Steve,
A very nice write up, and one that I enjoyed. I love those sketches too. I would like to know though, if you do, are these galaxies gravationly bound like our local group or are they just a chance alignment?

Starman1

Re: Has anyone seen Stephen's Quintet? new [Re: blb]
      #6149581 - 10/21/13 10:23 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Howdy all;

Steve Coe

Thanks Steve,
A very nice write up, and one that I enjoyed. I love those sketches too. I would like to know though, if you do, are these galaxies gravationly bound like our local group or are they just a chance alignment?

4 of the 5 are gravitationally bound. The 5th is a lot nearer.
Here is a Pic with an explanation under the pic:
http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap120225.html

stevecoe
"Astronomical Tourist"

Reged: 04/24/04

Loc: Arizona, USA
Re: Has anyone seen Stephen's Quintet? new [Re: Starman1]
      #6150839 - 10/21/13 11:26 PM

Buddy, glad to hear that the enjoyed the article and the drawings. Fun to hear from a satisfied "customer".

Don has it right the big spiral that AJ and I called "Big Mushy" is not within the group. As I mentioned this grouping is has an Arp designation. Halton "Chip" Arp provided a list of compact galaxy groups that had one or more galaxies at a very different red shift compared to the average of the rest of the members.

I do also love the background galaxies in the HST image, fascinating to realize what I am seeing.

Clear skies;
Steve Coe

Bill Barlow
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/03/07

Loc: Overland Park KS
Re: Has anyone seen Stephen's Quintet? [Re: nytecam]
      #6151078 - 10/22/13 04:09 AM

Nice images of this interesting/distant galaxy group. Your black and white image is about what I see in my C14 from our astro clubs semi-dark site in a yellow-green light pollution zone.

Bill

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
1 registered and 5 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave Mitsky, Phillip Creed, okieav8r 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2653

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics