Observing >> Double Star Observing

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Svezda
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 06/01/07

Loc: Texas
Re: Frustrating Lyra Doubles new [Re: Nucleophile]
      #5945510 - 06/28/13 08:13 PM

ohhhh - thanks for the warning. When I read the Stelle Doppie intro, it sounded like he was even more detail-oriented than I am so I didn't consider that here would be significant errors there...guess I need to learn how to navigate the actual WDS...will read this forum more often and try to learn more about that.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Nucleophile

Reged: 05/24/13

Loc: United States
Re: Frustrating Lyra Doubles new [Re: Svezda]
      #5945610 - 06/28/13 09:23 PM

Quote:

ohhhh - thanks for the warning. When I read the Stelle Doppie intro, it sounded like he was even more detail-oriented than I am so I didn't consider that here would be significant errors there...guess I need to learn how to navigate the actual WDS...will read this forum more often and try to learn more about that.

Stelle Doppie is amazing for compiling lists--it has changed how I compile lists of targets. But it is good to double check the data.

Here is how I check the online WDS if the name is known:

1. Find the RA value of the binary and open the correct volume
2. do a find (on mac this is apple + f keys) or cntrl f I think on PC
3. type in double name with (initially) no spaces ; eg, STF2452
4. next, insert spaces one at a time in the "find" window between the discoverer code and the numerical designation (eg STF 2452) to redo the search until hit(s) show up in the search window---some take a few spaces like the Ho binaries.

I am sure there are better ways than what I have described--but it works for me.
Also, dont give up if your star has an RA of 12h and it doesnt show up--there are two volumes containing 12h binaries.
(and even then the job isnt done if the binary is rapidly changing--for this consult the 6th orbital catalog which is found on the same home as the WDS.

Hope this helps.

Svezda
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 06/01/07

Loc: Texas
      #5954792 - 07/04/13 01:43 PM

Thanks Mark for your detailed and helpful reply. Very useful as I get more serious about double star observing.

Nucleophile

Reged: 05/24/13

Loc: United States
Re: Frustrating Lyra Doubles new [Re: Svezda]
      #5954859 - 07/04/13 02:36 PM

You are welcome.

Let me add that I have yet to come across a fast moving binary in Stelle Doppie that has correct info in the "sep. now" field---this is clearly a bug in the system. This is odd because for all binaries for which a table a projected separations by year are listed, the data is listed with fidelity from the original data as listed in the 6 th orbit catalog.

I will send the creator of Stelle Doppie a note alerting him to this problem.

ggalilei
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 09/01/11

Loc: Kentucky
      #5966829 - 07/12/13 04:42 AM

Is any of these doubles in Lyra the same as SAO 67612 (big number but easy to locate)? I have tried that one a couple of times with my 18" Dob and could split but it wasn't pretty: I need to learn how to collimate better. I believe the separation is somewhere below 1" and magnitudes are 5.2 and 8.4.
Edit: It seems that SAO 67612 could be B648 (also = HD 176051)? This would be the brighter star next to Sufalat, between beta and gamma, correct?

Edited by ggalilei (07/12/13 09:31 AM)

7331Peg
Sirius Observer

Reged: 09/01/08

Loc: North coast of Oregon
Re: Frustrating Lyra Doubles new [Re: ggalilei]
      #5967639 - 07/12/13 03:20 PM

Just checked the Bright Star Catalog (go to the WDS info after you enter the SAO number in the search box at the bottom of the page) and you're correct, SAO 67612 is BU 648. The separation for 2013 is 1.206" (from the WDS Ephemerides table, which is HERE). You'll need to scroll the left column down to 18570+3254 to see the data.

The magnitudes are 5.34 and 7.96, so it's definitely a tough one.

John

ggalilei
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 09/01/11

Loc: Kentucky
Re: Frustrating Lyra Doubles new [Re: 7331Peg]
      #5967772 - 07/12/13 04:43 PM

Thanks for the info John! I'll try it again: it was a difficult split in the 18" aperture, partly due to my approximate collimation methods. It will make a nice challenge for smaller and better collimated scopes.

inZet

Reged: 02/12/09

Loc: Milan, Italy
      #6069936 - 09/08/13 05:06 PM

Quote:

You are welcome.

Let me add that I have yet to come across a fast moving binary in Stelle Doppie that has correct info in the "sep. now" field---this is clearly a bug in the system. This is odd because for all binaries for which a table a projected separations by year are listed, the data is listed with fidelity from the original data as listed in the 6 th orbit catalog.

I will send the creator of Stelle Doppie a note alerting him to this problem.

I thought I corrected this bug. Or not?
Send me an email to inzet -at- yahoo dot com with details.

Gianluca

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
5 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  PJ Anway, Rich (RLTYS), rflinn68 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3234

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics