Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Observing >> Double Star Observing

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
AjithSeattle

Reged: 04/20/13

Re: Your favorite double stars to observe new [Re: Nucleophile]
      #5948939 - 07/01/13 12:23 AM

Albireo is impressive - the contrasting colors sure make this viewing experience memorable. I just saw it yesterday night, loved it!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Astrodj
professor emeritus

Reged: 08/24/11

Loc: Missouri
Re: Your favorite double stars to observe new [Re: AjithSeattle]
      #5948986 - 07/01/13 01:43 AM

One of my faves for this time of year is Rho Ophiuchus. It's about 3 degrees north of Antares in Scorpius. Check it out.

AjithSeattle

Reged: 04/20/13

Re: Your favorite double stars to observe new [Re: Astrodj]
      #5949389 - 07/01/13 10:19 AM

Last night I observed the double-double in Lyra - With my 8" XT8i, I could split the closer double to reveal the individual stars only at large magnification (300x) XT8 has focal length of 1200mm and I used a 4mm Plossl EP to split it.

Then, it was Mizar, again I could spot the Mizar-Alcor but the close double on the Mizar itself, it couldn't be resolved further than a oblong point of light.

Izar (E.Bootes) - I couldn't split it with my scope, I'm sure I'm doing something wrong, it showed up as a orange-yellow point of light but didn't see the bluish companion. I'm doing to try again in the next opportunity I have.

So many more options to look at from all of you, thank you for that.

Nucleophile

Reged: 05/24/13

Loc: United States
      #5949466 - 07/01/13 11:03 AM

Quote:

Last night I observed the double-double in Lyra - With my 8" XT8i, I could split the closer double to reveal the individual stars only at large magnification (300x) XT8 has focal length of 1200mm and I used a 4mm Plossl EP to split it.

Then, it was Mizar, again I could spot the Mizar-Alcor but the close double on the Mizar itself, it couldn't be resolved further than a oblong point of light.

Izar (E.Bootes) - I couldn't split it with my scope, I'm sure I'm doing something wrong, it showed up as a orange-yellow point of light but didn't see the bluish companion. I'm doing to try again in the next opportunity I have.

So many more options to look at from all of you, thank you for that.

All of those should be easy splits---collimation errors is my guess ( and/or possibly tube currents + improper mirror cool down).

Of course, it could be the mirror also---these are mass produced in China. However, this is usually not the first place to look.

You may wish to spend some time in the reflector forum to learn more about this instrument ( and the fine art of collimation)----many of us have these 8 inch Orion reflectors and the archives are a treasure chest of helpful info. Above all, be patient and get to know the instrument each opportunity you can

phily
sage

Reged: 12/18/04

Loc: Kent, UK
Re: Your favorite double stars to observe new [Re: StarStuff1]
      #5949881 - 07/01/13 03:20 PM

I agree with the choice of Albireo, which I think is one of the most beautiful objects in the sky, also Almach. For interest, however, how about Castor?
Phil

exparrot

Reged: 02/13/12

Loc: Dallas/Fort Worth, TX
Re: Your favorite double stars to observe new [Re: phily]
      #5950581 - 07/01/13 11:39 PM

Xi Sco, especially the challenging AB pair

Dave Mitsky
Postmaster

Reged: 04/08/02

Loc: PA, USA, Planet Earth
Re: Your favorite double stars to observe new [Re: desertlens]
      #5950739 - 07/02/13 03:28 AM

Quote:

You'll need to wait a bit but check out sigma Orionis, a quadruple. Nearby is a nice double, Struve 762. I was surprised at the appeal of doubles. Clear skies and good hunting.

Actually, the quintuple star Sigma Orionis is Struve 762. Struve 761 is the nearby triple star.

http://www.perezmedia.net/beltofvenus/archives/000344.html

http://www.skyandtelescope.com/observing/objects/doublestars/3309846.html?pag...

Dave Mitsky

Dave Mitsky
Postmaster

Reged: 04/08/02

Loc: PA, USA, Planet Earth
      #5950752 - 07/02/13 03:47 AM

Quote:

Wow, I can't believe no one has mentioned Algieba, gamma leonis. One of my favorite double star experiences was viewing it through holes in the clouds and a light rain falling. With an 80mm refractor it was simply stunning, yellow-green!

In addition to Gamma Andromedae and Gamma Leonis, two noteworthy "gamma" doubles are Gamma Delphini and Gamma Arietis. Gamma Velorum is a fine multiple star.

Iota Cancri is a colorful springtime double. The Winter Albireo, h3945, is another very colorful binary star.

One of my very favorites, however, is Struve 2470/2474 in Lyra, the so-called Other Double Double.

http://bestdoubles.wordpress.com/2010/06/25/struve-2470-and-struve-2474-the-o...

Dave Mitsky

azure1961p
Postmaster

Reged: 01/17/09

Loc: USA
      #5951002 - 07/02/13 09:48 AM

Wow - for every season there's at least a handful. For summer:

61 Cygni
Albireo
Delta Cygni
Trifid Multiple
Zeta Herculi
Epsilon Lyra
Double-Double-Double in Lyra
Es244 in Cygnus
2EsVulpeculi

There's more but that's what comes to mind.

Pete

PJ AnwayModerator
Double-Star Observer

Reged: 06/04/03

Loc: North Coast
      #5952255 - 07/02/13 11:07 PM

Zeta Aquarii is my favorite; always enjoy observing it.

Ziggy943
Post Laureate

Reged: 08/11/06

Loc: Utah
Re: Your favorite double stars to observe new [Re: PJ Anway]
      #5956498 - 07/05/13 06:08 PM Attachment (22 downloads)

Epsilon Lyrae

rookie
Good Night Nurse

Reged: 01/14/06

Loc: St. Petersburg, FL
Re: Your favorite double stars to observe new [Re: Ziggy943]
      #5959018 - 07/07/13 02:13 PM

My favorite is Gamma Velorum. Its multiple star system is symmetrical and looks like a dragonfly.
WZ Cas is a lovely red-blue
Es244 Past Thread Link
STF 1659 is the Stargate cluster in Corvus

Edited by rookie (07/08/13 10:36 PM)

Ben Therrell

Reged: 10/09/12

Re: Your favorite double stars to observe new [Re: rookie]
      #5959048 - 07/07/13 02:36 PM

I always give Polaris a close look. If you can see the companion at low power then you know it's going to be a good night.

ggalilei
professor emeritus

Reged: 09/01/11

Loc: Kentucky
Correction new [Re: Ben Therrell]
      #5971628 - 07/15/13 03:18 AM

I stayed up late and caught an off season view of beautiful sigma (oops: ETA!) Cassiopeiae: easy to split and interesting color contrast: bright pale yellow and dim red.
Another pretty "gamma" is Porrima, in Virgo: it used to be a difficult split, but now the separation is wider and 100x or so will split it.

Edited by ggalilei (07/16/13 05:47 PM)

OJS

Reged: 07/22/12

Re: Your favorite double stars to observe new [Re: ggalilei]
      #5974466 - 07/16/13 04:00 PM

Years ago a music reviewer said that his favorite Haydn string quartet was the last one he listened to. My favorite double star is the last one I've seen thru the telescope. Paul Couteau said (paraphrasing): "The sight of a [any] double star through a telescope never leaves you indifferent"

OJS

Tyranthrax
sage

Reged: 04/22/13

Loc: Reno, NV
Re: Your favorite double stars to observe new [Re: OJS]
      #5974509 - 07/16/13 04:18 PM

My first was polaris, I was amazed when I saw my first with my own eyes. then I saw iota cancre, loved it but couldn't get a good photo becuase I sucked at it then. But rounding out the blue/yellow is Albireo.

I got a great picture of it, one of my best. The colors is what I like about it. I had a good friend as a kid who always wore the two colors together so when I see the colors together it brings be back to a godo place in time. thus tehy hold a special place for me. like th good memory is cemented in teh heavens. The pic I got was only adjustd levels and curves the colors are what I take pride in trying to capture the exact color with out adding to it or taking away. that is my drink of choice. It has to be true to the object and do it justic. My pic is in my gallry but in the thread in this corner. (I am taking note of the ones mentioned I want to get a double and tripple collection going.)
http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/5963170/page...

Messyone
sage

Reged: 05/02/12

Loc: Down Under
Re: Your favorite double stars to observe new [Re: Tyranthrax]
      #5975444 - 07/17/13 04:04 AM

Rigel for me. Easy to show others who are amazed at the size, (that is the brightness) difference between the two.

ggalilei
professor emeritus

Re: Your favorite double stars to observe new [Re: Messyone]
      #5975872 - 07/17/13 12:18 PM

In winter time, an easy and great looking triplet is Alnitak (zeta Orionis), leftmost in the belt.

ggalilei
professor emeritus

Re: Your favorite double stars to observe new [Re: ggalilei]
      #5975889 - 07/17/13 12:24 PM

... and the easiest way to catch a white dwarf: 40 Eridani, easy to locate and view, near Orion. The mag 9.5 star in that triplet is a white dwarf, way easier to see than the "pup" Sirius B!

Starman81
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/06/08

Loc: Metro Detroit, MI, USA
Re: Your favorite double stars to observe new [Re: PJ Anway]
      #6098981 - 09/24/13 05:39 PM

Quote:

Zeta Aquarii is my favorite; always enjoy observing it.

I just bagged this one yesterday! Nice, tight pair, both looked white to me at 150x (XW 20 + TV PM 2.5x) in the XT8g. Classic '8' shape, riding each other's diffraction rings! The seeing was very good and the scope was well cooled down, I might add. Upping the power to 300x+ (Nagler Zoom @4mm), they looked like a light yellow, equal pair, with a bit more separation.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
1 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  PJ Anway, Rich (RLTYS), rflinn68 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2455

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics