Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

General Astronomy >> General Observing and Astronomy

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | (show all)
ChrisBeere
professor emeritus

Reged: 10/20/10

Loc: London, UK
Re: Favorite Viewing Sites new [Re: Badcat1022]
      #4589215 - 05/18/11 06:25 PM

Kimworthy, south west England. One of the best sites for astronomy in England in my experience. SQM 21.61.

This is the view to the west

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
DennisDayton

Reged: 03/27/11

Re: Favorite Viewing Sites new [Re: csa/montana]
      #4610840 - 05/30/11 11:44 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Hello Carol, I bet your favorite is your backyard, I've found that is my favorite now. Camera assisted viewing has helped me fight these urban lights and of course the backyard is sooo convenient. GeneD

Yes indeed; I have no need to travel with the exception of walking down to my observatory. My skies average 21.5 SQM.

I'm extremely envious of your location, Carol. I'll have to start checking land prices in Montana as I plan on retiring in a few years. Montana is one of the few states I have yet to visit (I think I've been to about 46 of them so far)
As a NOOB, I haven't found a favorite yet, but am planning on spending a week in July during a new moon at Cherry Springs Park in PA. It's listed with a 2 on the Bortle scale - I only hoping for a couple of clear nights during my stay)

http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/stateparks/parks/cherrysprings/cherrysprings_darkskies.aspx

(also envious of those out west - I been to the Grand circle several times and truly enjoyed the night skies out that way)

csa/montana
Den Mama

Reged: 05/14/05

Loc: montana
Re: Favorite Viewing Sites new [Re: DennisDayton]
      #4611029 - 05/30/11 01:06 PM

You should try to visit Montana; you'd love it!

DennisDayton

Reged: 03/27/11

#4611333 - 05/30/11 03:48 PM

Quote:

You should try to visit Montana; you'd love it!

I just might next year. I have really wanted to visit Glacier National Park as well as other parks in that part of the country. Just hope that gas isn't $10 a gallon by then! My dob fits fine in my Nitro and I could make a list of dark sites to visit on my trip!

Sorta back on topic, I have a question for you folks... As I mentioned earlier, I am staying at Cherry Springs Park for a week at the end of July the observation field has small observatories you can rent. Of the following, which would you rent and why? (I will have 5 other people - maybe - visiting with me, but all won't be in the observatory at one time, obviously). Here is what is offered:

Cherry Springs rents four, small observatories. Each has a concrete floor, 120-volt ground fault protected power outlet and red lighting controlled by a dimmer switch.
Observatory 1 is a 15' rotating Pro-Dome made by Technical Innovations, which has a slotted dome and is the best for imaging in high winds.
Observatories 2 and 3 are roomy, 12' clamshell domes made by Astro Haven that accommodate 3 to 4 people. The four-foot high walls provide wind shielding and can be partially closed for better shielding.
Observatory 4 is a 10' by 12' Sky Shed. This “open to the full sky” roll-off roof structure eliminates the thermal currents often associated with slotted/rotating domes.

Appreciate your comments (they also have a number of 4 - 6' concrete telescope pads in the field)

cam1936
sage

Reged: 08/01/08

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Re: Favorite Viewing Sites new [Re: DennisDayton]
      #4640893 - 06/15/11 07:13 PM

Anyone in south central Alberta have a favorite viewing site that offers good mix or drive time and clear skies? Anyone close to Calgary want to head out to a dark site? PM me!

Mike E.
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/26/10

Loc: Moonstone Observatory
Re: Favorite Viewing Sites new [Re: ChrisBeere]
      #4644587 - 06/17/11 06:42 PM

What would be the nearest major town or city near Kimworthy ?
I can not seem to find Kimworthy in my British road atlas, or on Google Earth.

Thanks.

vsteblina
sage

Reged: 11/05/07

Loc: Wenatchee, Washington
Darkest Viewing Sites in Washington state new [Re: Mike E.]
      #4644711 - 06/17/11 08:10 PM

Here are a several dark observing sites in Washington state. Dark as your going to get this close to Seattle and Spokane.

Meadows Campground, Methow Valley Ranger District, Winthrop, Washington.

Google coordinates: +48.709726 -120.672691

Forest Service campground. Access is via Hart's Pass road. No trailers, good dirt road. Do NOT drive this road if you are afraid of heights!! Forest Service road...no guardrails.

The rectangular object on google earth is the astronomy pad put in by the Forest Service.

Tommy Creek Trailhead, Entiat Ranger District, Entiat, Washington

This site is far enough east that you avoid some of the glow from the Seattle metro area. It is also far enough away from Wenatchee that its glow fades. The trailhead is paved road almost all the way. Not a perfect southern horizon.

Google coordinates: +47.937525 -120.542490

This trailhead is a popular trailhead for horses and dirt bikers. So park away from the actual trailhead. You need a trailhead pass to stay here.

Pacific Lake, BLM, Odessa, Washington.

This site is a dried up lake bed. It is far enough east that you lose the glow from Seattle, however, you will see the glow from Spokane. No fee.

Google earth coordinates: +47.409085 -118.704104

Bill Llano

Reged: 04/20/10

Re: Favorite Viewing Sites new [Re: Jon Isaacs]
      #4663001 - 06/28/11 12:35 PM

Kodachrome Basin State Park,Utah
Grandview Campground, Inyo National Forest,Ca
Kennedy Meadows,Southern Sierra Nevada,Ca
Are all dark,no light domes, fantastic viewing ,weather permitting.

HellsKitchen
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 09/05/08

Loc: Melbourne Australia
Re: Favorite Viewing Sites new [Re: Bill Llano]
      #4664437 - 06/29/11 08:12 AM

Found this location at the edge of a remote dirt road.... drove about 30km along it from the turnoff at the nearest hamlet to its other end at a T-intersection with a lightly trafficked but paved road.... during those 30km I passed ONE car.... in the middle of the day.

]

marcink
sage

Reged: 08/01/07

Loc: Lombard (Chicagoland), IL
Re: Favorite Viewing Sites new [Re: HellsKitchen]
      #4664632 - 06/29/11 10:28 AM Attachment (72 downloads)

For Chicagoans Green River Wildlife State area is the best bet and it has been serving many amateur astronomer clubs for years. It is around 100 miles west from Chicago, very good access, green zone, camping, gravel roads, restrooms. The park ranges are so kind to shut all the park lights for the clubs. This is my favorite spot.

Another choice would be Willow Slough Fish and Wildlife area in Indiana - a very charming place with lots of birds, beavers, deer and all kinds wildlife. It's in the yellow zone. The best observing sites are on the east side of the lake, especially gravel ice fishing parking, next to the Patrol Rd. This area may be closed seasonally though. Parking space no. 3 is OK. Camping site is not the best spot, due to the lamps.

The closest gray zone I know is 7 hour drive from Chicago - Ozarks Scenic Riverways. Campgrounds aren't the best choice due to the lamps. The park rangers recommended a meadow close to the old Klepzig mill - to get there, take 106 East from Eminence, then turn right (South) onto State Highway H, then left (East) onto Highway NN and continue until pavement ends. Turn left onto Country Road NN-522 and continue until you pass an old Klepzig mill on the right. A little bit further there are some old barn remains on the left - you can park there and walk in the middle of the field to set up your telescope. You'll know you drove too far, when you hit the river.

I have added all these places to the Dark Sky Finder
http://www.jshine.net/astronomy/dark_sky/

nomorestars

Reged: 09/04/10

Re: Favorite Viewing Sites new [Re: Maureen]
      #4672442 - 07/03/11 09:50 PM

Post deleted per nomorestars' request.

Edited by cildarith (07/25/11 09:05 PM)

nomorestars

Reged: 09/04/10

Re: Favorite Viewing Sites new [Re: nomorestars]
      #4697191 - 07/17/11 01:15 PM

Post deleted per nomorestars' request.

Edited by cildarith (07/25/11 09:06 PM)

bherv
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/10/06

Loc: WMass
      #4699601 - 07/18/11 07:21 PM

Arunah Hill in Cummmington, MA. On a good night Milky Way visible down to horizon. 2000 foot elevation. Only an hours drive for me.
Barry

Lee.S

Reged: 07/04/11

Loc: New Mexico USA
Re: Favorite Viewing Sites new [Re: bherv]
      #4707047 - 07/22/11 03:55 PM

My back yard Lat 34 29 N Lont 104 13 W.A couple hundred square miles flat dirt, very few bugs,lots of sky in the eastern New Mexico plains..LeeS

roscoe
curmudgeon

Reged: 02/04/09

Loc: NW Mass, inches from VT
Re: Favorite Viewing Sites new [Re: Lee.S]
      #4710431 - 07/24/11 02:13 PM

I'll second Barry's post, Arunah Hill's a great spot, and has an annual star party and several observing sessions.

About 20 miles north, is the town fairgrounds in Heath, Mass, right near the Vermont border. There's one streetlight that annoyingly can't be shut off, but it's possible to hide in the shadows behind one of the buildings. It's green zone, and blue's only a few miles north, there is some south and southeast sky-glow. but north and west, it's mag 5.5 most every clear night. There's also a cemetery next door to the east, the back section's pretty empty, a row of trees gets rid of the streetlight.
Don't go into the big field to the east of the cemetery, though. That's somebody's hay field.

Russ

Bill Llano

Reged: 04/20/10

Re: North West NJ Viewing Site - Jenny Jump State Park new [Re: hfjacinto]
      #4719716 - 07/29/11 02:03 PM

I used to observe at Jenny Jump State Park when I lived in NYC,it is a blast to see it listed.

Tom Clark
professor emeritus

Reged: 11/14/07

Loc: North of Deming, NM
Chiefland Astronomy Village new [Re: Bill Llano]
      #4832953 - 09/28/11 08:50 PM Attachment (59 downloads)

Since 1985 my favorite place to observe has been The Chiefland Astronomy Village in NW Florida. When we retired in 1997 we bought the club observing field and moved there, right on the western edge of the club observing field, where we built our 24' dome with a 42" scope inside.

The site is still quite dark, with average SQM of 21.5. Clearest skies are from Oct thru May, but summer skies are often spectacular, with fantastic seeing.

Although Chiefland is not open to the public, we welcome astronomers who wish to visit for an astronomy vacation. You have to join our group (no charge) and read our simple rules to visit. We have a donation box to pay expenses, and for 25 years $5 a night has been the suggested amount.

There are 100 electrical outlets around the field, plus nine RV 30 amp outlets. Facilities included water, flush toilets, hot showers, and a wonderful observing atmosphere. More info at our web site.

The astronomy village has 26 famlies living there, with 18 private observatories in the neighborhood.

jimg@sonic.net

Reged: 09/28/11

Loc: Sebastopol, CA
      #4835742 - 09/30/11 10:38 AM Attachment (51 downloads)

Quote:

Hi Folks: Post your favorite viewing sites to share with others, right here!

Lake Sonoma - outside Healdsburg, CA - about an hour north of San Francisco.

deSitter
Still in Old School

Reged: 12/09/04

Re: In Georgia? new [Re: jpcannavo]
      #4858701 - 10/13/11 04:25 AM

Quote:

Contemplating a trip to Atlanta Ga. Are there some dark observing sites (bortle 1-3) within 100 miles? Also, in general, how is seeing in Georgia, anything like florida, which is known for its steady skies.
Joe

Atlanta is very fortunate for an enormous city to have blue zones in round-trip range - one is on the east side of Lake Oconee. There is a field used by the Atlanta Area Visual Observers, here.

The field is fronted by trees and easy to miss. If Liberty Church Rd turns to dirt, you've gone about 1/2 mile too far

I was shocked at how dark the skies were to be within 100 miles of astronomy hell, which is urban Atlanta.

You must be very careful driving at night. There are zillions of deer in the surrounding woods.

-drl

deSitter
Still in Old School

Reged: 12/09/04

Re: In Georgia? new [Re: jpcannavo]
      #4858739 - 10/13/11 05:33 AM

Quote:

Contemplating a trip to Atlanta Ga. Are there some dark observing sites (bortle 1-3) within 100 miles? Also, in general, how is seeing in Georgia, anything like florida, which is known for its steady skies.
Joe

There is another green location (dark green!) at the Charlie Elliott Wildlife Center, here.. Considering that this site is only 50 miles from central Atlanta, the skies are amazingly dark. Armadillos are frequent visitors. There is a mailbox with a register and visitors are asked to check in. The field is always well groomed. A great resource if you don't have time to make it out to Oconee, which is twice the distance.

Again be careful of deer. Wild hogs are also known to tour this area - not to be messed with

-drl

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | (show all)

Extra information
10 registered and 13 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  cildarith, panhard, tecmage 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 42283

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics