Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

General Astronomy >> General Observing and Astronomy

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | (show all)
ChrisBeere
professor emeritus

Reged: 10/20/10

Loc: London, UK
Re: Favorite Viewing Sites new [Re: Mike E.]
      #4904453 - 11/08/11 12:21 PM

Quote:

What would be the nearest major town or city near Kimworthy ?
I can not seem to find Kimworthy in my British road atlas, or on Google Earth.

Thanks.

Barnstaple, North West Devon

Check out http://www.astroadventures.co.uk/

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Tim Gilliland
professor emeritus

Reged: 03/28/09

Loc: Sand Springs Okla.
Re: Western Okla. new [Re: ChrisBeere]
      #4944665 - 12/01/11 04:21 PM

I spent a four nights at The great salt plains state park in Oct. It was very dark and the park ranger was great. The park has Rv and primitive camping. The primitive sites are better areas for observing as the RV sites have numerous street lights. It is a three hour drive for me and I probably will go back.

Mr. Bill
Postmaster

Reged: 02/09/05

Loc: Northeastern Cal
Re: Western Okla. new [Re: Tim Gilliland]
      #4965031 - 12/13/11 04:47 PM Attachment (84 downloads)

My backyard...facing south.

The historic 2100 acre Lassen homestead....all in conservation easement.

SQM 21.5 on a good night

fedlog

Reged: 12/09/11

Loc: NW Oklahoma
Re: Western Okla. new [Re: Tim Gilliland]
      #4965041 - 12/13/11 04:56 PM

Quote:

I spent a four nights at The great salt plains state park in Oct. It was very dark and the park ranger was great. The park has Rv and primitive camping. The primitive sites are better areas for observing as the RV sites have numerous street lights. It is a three hour drive for me and I probably will go back.

Did you go out in the salt flats on the west side of the park? I live in Enid and it never occurred to me to head out that way.

Harachnid1

Reged: 05/23/11

Loc: New Orleans, LA
Re: Favorite Viewing Sites new [Re: genedalton]
      #5012456 - 01/11/12 03:54 PM

I'm in South Louisiana too Gene! What part are you in? I'm right by the Louis Armstrong International Airport.

jgibson1@emich
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 06/11/06

Loc: Tucson, AZ
Re: Favorite Viewing Sites new [Re: Harachnid1]
      #5015420 - 01/13/12 12:47 PM

Southern Utah is my favorite place that I have observed from thus far. Specifically, I am talking about a place south of UT-89 about 27 miles east of Kanab, UT south of hwy 89. Amazing scenery and black skies = AMAZING TIME!!! Spent 5 nights imaging and observing there.

Clear Skies,
Jason

Here is a last minute addition to the post!

Bing Maps Link I can't wait for April to get here. I will be heading to this spot and a couple new ones for a couple weeks.

Edited by jgibson1@emich (01/16/12 12:51 AM)

Tim Gilliland
professor emeritus

Reged: 03/28/09

Loc: Sand Springs Okla.
Re: Western Okla. new [Re: fedlog]
      #5065760 - 02/10/12 03:59 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Sorry it took so long to respond. Actually I stayed in the campground. I was on the western edge of the one below the Dam. By going to the unimproved camp sites I was able to avoid the park lighting reasonably well. Best observing I have experienced short of Okie-Tex and one visit to the diamond mine in southern Arkansaw.

Did you go out in the salt flats on the west side of the park? I live in Enid and it never occurred to me to head out that way.

jrbarnett
Eyepiece Hooligan

Reged: 02/28/06

Loc: Petaluma, CA
Re: Favorite Viewing Sites new [Re: jimg@sonic.net]
      #5067013 - 02/11/12 11:22 AM

Chaco Canyon in San Juan County, NM, for me. Not because it has the darkest skies (it's a gray zone) but because it's place where astronomy, archaeology, archaeo-astronomy, naturalism (NOT naturism; it's a national park and you would end up in the brig ), geology, hiking and history all come together.

The elevation is reasonably high (~7k feet) so extinction is low. The climate is arid, so transparency is typically good. Seeing is average - not desert bad but not thick-aired seaside Florida good. And it's out of the way enough (long stretches of dirt roads are the only way into the Canyon) that it's peaceful and free from the hub bub of other campers and astronomers. On my hikes in and around the Canyon I would see either zero or one other group of hikers per hike.

That's the Tsin Kletsin ruin on the South Mesa.

That is the Penasco Blanco ruin.

This location was featured in Carl Sagan's Cosmos (PBS) and more recently in Brian Cox's (BBC) Wonder's of the Universe. There's an endless supply of things to see and do, day and night, and for me it represents a "complete" experience.

It's looking like we'll be doing Lake Sonoma for the March New Moon (Messier Marathon) club star party. Maybe we'll see you there?

Regards,

Jim

Edited by jrbarnett (02/11/12 11:31 AM)

JayinUT
I'm not Sleepy

Reged: 09/19/08

Loc: Utah
Re: Favorite Viewing Sites new [Re: jrbarnett]
      #5073085 - 02/15/12 12:55 AM

I am going to share my one of my favorite observing sites. It is in the Uinta National Forest south of Vernon, Utah. Skies are dark there, very dark, though to the north you do get some light from the small town of Vernon. Never has bothered me and the Juniper Trees allow one to block them out (or your car).

In January my friend Mat and I saw the zodiacal light there, and the winter Milky Way was wonderful. This is equal to the Wolf Creek area and during the summer there are a couple of ridges in the distance that you can drive up and observe from. There are ATV riders in the area during the day and most camp about 3 to 4 miles to the east at a local reservoir. Here are a couple of pictures I took of the area, though the skies were not too cooperative that day.

Looking south to southwest from the observing location:

Looking West from the observing site:

The observing site is behind me in this photo and this is the view heading back toward the Forest Road. The Juniper Tree in front has an owlet and the parents will fly back and forth form hunting during the night to feed it. The owlet can be noisy at times but it is rather cool.

Coming down the Forest Road heading south to the observing site:

This is a side road to a second observing site and you can see what the ground conditions are like. There are actually many excellent sites here that one can set up in. A fun place to observe from and you are about 3 miles west of the reservoir so no mosquitoes and really no people.

Edited by JayinUT (02/15/12 01:06 AM)

TL2101
professor emeritus

Reged: 09/17/10

Loc: Concord, CA
Re: Favorite Viewing Sites new [Re: JayinUT]
      #5090622 - 02/25/12 04:27 PM Attachment (92 downloads)

The great thing about dark sky areas is the daytime views can be pretty nice too. That's Mt. Shasta in the background.

This was the view from my tent at the Golden State Star Party. Near the town of Adin in Northern California.

Edited by TL2101 (02/25/12 06:56 PM)

great lesson
sage

Reged: 04/04/10

Loc: Canada
Re: Favorite Viewing Sites new [Re: TL2101]
      #5090637 - 02/25/12 04:36 PM

A beach about 10 minutes away from my house. There is very little light pollution and I like observing while listening to the waves. I hate packing up and leaving the place

Prima Luna
sage

Reged: 01/17/09

Loc: Huntington Beach, California
Re: Favorite Viewing Sites new [Re: great lesson]
      #5090830 - 02/25/12 06:34 PM

Quote:

A beach about 10 minutes away from my house. There is very little light pollution and I like observing while listening to the waves. I hate packing up and leaving the place

I live a 2 minute walk from the Pacific. Aren't you worried about the salt getting onto your optics?

great lesson
sage

Reged: 04/04/10

Loc: Canada
Re: Favorite Viewing Sites new [Re: Prima Luna]
      #5090896 - 02/25/12 07:27 PM

I haven't had that happen. I go up onto a bluff

Gvs

Reged: 05/19/11

Loc: Texas
Sajama Bolivia - August 2012 new [Re: great lesson]
      #5098718 - 03/01/12 01:31 AM

A few of us will be heading to Bolivia later this year.

The best deep sky photos you can obtain without adaptic optics at nearly 22000 ft above sea level (2/3 of the atmosphere is below you!). (If you can't deal with Altitude, no problem, just stay at the base 14400 ft at the base or we can obtain oxygen masks).

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=sajama&hl=en&ll=-18.107187,-68.876209&spn=0.141134,0.264187&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=59.249168,135.263672&hnear=Nevado+Sajama&t=p&z=13

Temperature will be around 20F or less at night. No wind, no water in the atmosphere, no light pollution, and some nice hot springs nearby.

Any one interested in tagging along, please let us know. I know the country fairly well as I grew up over there.

Some photos from other sites:

http://www.linternaute.com/voyage/amerique-du-sud/la-cordillere-des-andes/image/66446.jpg

This is over two miles higher than Lake Titicaca. We will be stopping at lake TitiCaca for couple of days,

SSSP (Southern Skies Star Party) suggests doing the trip in July. This really is not the best time because Bolivians like to light up bonfires on July 23rd as well fireworks all night contaminating the atmosphere for days and degrading the experience.

I'll just ask one question, how many of you have been able to look at, or photograph the planetary nebula inside M46?

Here are some links from lake Titicaca.

http://www.sssp.org/2010/Astro/index.shtml
http://www.moonglow.net/sssp2008/index.html

We hope to provide better pictures starting this year.

Now we have an LX-10 a C-8 GPS XLT and most likely an 18 inch dobosnian.

Starman1
Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

Reged: 06/24/03

Loc: Los Angeles
Re: Sajama Bolivia - August 2012 new [Re: Gvs]
      #5099104 - 03/01/12 10:35 AM

While that high an altitude may be nearly ideal for photography, a cautionary note to visual observers: Physiologically, the starvation of retinal cells from inadequate oxygen starts occurring as low as 8,000' and becomes noticeable over 10,000'. This is even with several days of accommodation.
It seems that the sky may be more transparent, but because of the diminishment of our retinal cells' abilities to respond to it we cannot see any better at higher altitudes than we do at lower ones.
And above 10-12,000', we actually see less because of reduced sensitivity in the retinal cells.

[At 22,000', a substantial number of individuals are at risk of pulmonary edema and heart issues.]

As a side note, this same diminishment occurs when alcohol is consumed. For visual observers, it is wise to abstain from alcohol for at least 24 hours before going out to view.

Gastrol
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 11/04/11

Loc: los angeles
Re: Sajama Bolivia - August 2012 new [Re: Starman1]
      #5099793 - 03/01/12 04:52 PM

Quote:

As a side note, this same diminishment occurs when alcohol is consumed. For visual observers, it is wise to abstain from alcohol for at least 24 hours before going out to view.

Well, that kills my idea of installing a mini wine bar in my new obs. ...lol...
I usually like having a glass of wine during my observing sessions.

Gvs

Reged: 05/19/11

Loc: Texas
Re: Sajama Bolivia - August 2012 new [Re: Starman1]
      #5100220 - 03/01/12 10:03 PM

LOL.. yeah, you might, though with those that I've traveled we never had that condition. I am Bolivian and don't suffer that draw back was born at over 10000 feet and regularly worked at over 14000.

When I look at skies from the McDonalds observatory and compare them to Sajama, there is no comparison. We can see two orders of magnitude more at the Sajama site.

Actually having traveled to almost all places on Earth, this is were I've been able to have the best skies.

No light pollution for miles, because the country is not developed within 200 miles of that area. There are a couple of paved highways that come near the mountain, but its pristine for the most part.

But then again, to each his own.

YetAnotherHobby
sage

Reged: 09/02/09

Loc: Central CT
Re: Sajama Bolivia - August 2012 new [Re: Gvs]
      #5146215 - 03/28/12 10:11 PM

Another CT astronomer here - the White Memorial Foundation in Litchfield is open 24 x 7, and there is a club observatory on a knoll just south of the main buildings. The club members are a great bunch, and they conduct outreach meetings on a monthly basis. Much darker skies than my backyard in Central CT. Lots of wildlife - owls, fox, deer are frequent visitors. You can hear geese on Bantam Lake.

Pretty Boy 810

Reged: 10/21/11

Loc: Poughkeepsie, NY
Re: Favorite Viewing Sites new [Re: JayinUT]
      #5186267 - 04/23/12 12:09 PM

OMG i wish i could be there!!!

Pretty Boy 810

Reged: 10/21/11

Loc: Poughkeepsie, NY
Re: Favorite Viewing Sites new [Re: Prof M]
      #5205517 - 05/04/12 12:20 PM

lucky

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 12 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  cildarith, panhard, tecmage 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 42438

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics