Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu uh, User

General Astronomy >> General Observing and Astronomy

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
amicus sidera
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/14/11

Loc: East of the Sun, West of the M...
Choice of clothing color when observing...
      #5282894 - 06/21/12 09:00 PM

For decades now I've made it a point to wear at light-colored, clean and fairly new clothing while observing in public places. My rationale for this stems from encounters with peace officers and other authorities who might be responsible for patrolling the area in which I'm set up.

When one is wearing light, or especially white-colored clothing, it has a two-fold effect at a deep level on those who encounter you:

Firstly, white, at least in Western culture, is seen as a symbol of purity and innocence, which to a degree and depending upon circumstances, imputes a certain degree of these qualities to the wearer.

Secondly, anyone intent on clandestine criminal activities at night would have white clothing dead last on their list of fashion choices, for the simple reason that it makes one stand out from the background darkness with the slightest illumination, hence facilitating detection and possible apprehension.

When observing in the warmer months, I usually wear either a pair of dark slacks or newish blue jeans, and a freshly-pressed and laundered white dress shirt... during colder months, with snow on the ground, I opt for a light-electric-blue jacket over a white sweater.

While I realize that many factors (such as one's attitude, the area one is observing in, and the circumstances surrounding one's encounter) mitigate to result in a pleasant interaction with the authorities, I feel that my choice of dress over the years has done much to assure that these meetings (of which I've had many) have turned out well in every instance.

That said, I do have a dark jacket near at hand to throw on in the event I wish to present a low profile to nefarious types, should they show up!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
tejasdragon
sage

Reged: 09/08/11

Loc: Garland, Texas
Re: Choice of clothing color when observing... new [Re: amicus sidera]
      #5282961 - 06/21/12 10:02 PM

Always black tshirt and black jeans, Long hair and tattoos all over. I look the same anywhere I go. At one point
in my life I was the person your mom warned you about.
Never have had a problem with a law dog unless I deserved
it.

Henry

Edited by tejasdragon (06/21/12 10:03 PM)

Gastrol
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 11/04/11

Loc: los angeles
Re: Choice of clothing color when observing... new [Re: tejasdragon]
      #5282970 - 06/21/12 10:09 PM

I try not to wear any red at parks where the Crips might hang out.
For the most part I like plain neutral colors and earthy tones and always observe where there are always other amateur astronomers present when going out to dark sites.

Coolkid70

Reged: 04/19/11

Re: Choice of clothing color when observing... new [Re: Gastrol]
      #5283082 - 06/21/12 11:14 PM

I'd also like to emphasize that clothing colour definitely does affect the way passers-by perceive you, at least in a physical sense. I've done a good deal of "sidewalk astronomy" at my university. My usual spot was in a shadowy area of a large well-travelled walkway. I would usually wear a heavy black overcoat and some dark blue jeans. This combination has had me confused anywhere from a shady homeless guy to the grim reaper. My telescope has also been identified as a cannon as well as a grand piano.

Luckily (and very much to my surprise), I never once had a run-in with the campus police. When people would approach me, I would sometimes jokingly thank them for not calling!

herrointment
Post Laureate

Reged: 03/12/11

Loc: North of Hwy. 64
Re: Choice of clothing color when observing... new [Re: Coolkid70]
      #5283305 - 06/22/12 04:50 AM

The thought has never entered my mind. We do have roaming gangs of elderly walkers about but they tend to fall asleep before sunset.

Come to think of it I tend to fall asleep before sunset too. I have to get up at 3.30 AM for work....well gotta go!

csa/montana
Den Mama

Reged: 05/14/05

Loc: montana
Re: Choice of clothing color when observing... new [Re: herrointment]
      #5283501 - 06/22/12 09:18 AM

Stay safe, among those elderly walkers!

BigC
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/29/10

Loc: SE Indiana
      #5283583 - 06/22/12 10:22 AM

What color attracts the fewest mosquitoes ?

amicus sidera
Post Laureate

Re: Choice of clothing color when observing... new [Re: BigC]
      #5283684 - 06/22/12 11:35 AM

Quote:

What color attracts the fewest mosquitoes ?

White, I believe.

The effect is minimal, but I understand that it has to do with thermal signatures... dark colors giving off the most heat, or something along those lines.

MikeBOKC
Post Laureate

Reged: 05/10/10

Loc: Oklahoma City, OK
      #5283871 - 06/22/12 01:30 PM

I always figured if people can see me peering through the butt-end of an 11 inch SCT with a half-dozen various equipment cases scattered around they should figure out what I am doing. Every policeman I have ever encountered just wants a peek at the moon or Jupiter.

amicus sidera
Post Laureate

Re: Choice of clothing color when observing... new [Re: MikeBOKC]
      #5283896 - 06/22/12 01:46 PM

My experiences might have to do with living in the generally higher population/higher crime rate Northeast... the gendarmerie tend to be a somewhat suspicious and cautious lot hereabouts (who can blame them?), although things generally defuse rapidly once the situation becomes clear to them.

I've had more than one of them tell me that having an accomplice acting as a lookout under an innocent "cover", while the other goes about their nefarious business, is a common ruse with some criminal types... for example, stargazing in the shadows of a cul-de-sac in an industrial park, in the wee hours of the morning, would fit that particular bill nicely.

GeneT
Ely Kid

Reged: 11/07/08

Loc: South Texas
Re: Choice of clothing color when observing... new [Re: Gastrol]
      #5283927 - 06/22/12 02:05 PM

Quote:

Gueeze. What is behind the problem of wearing red?

ccaissie
professor emeritus

Reged: 09/13/10

Loc: Whitefield, Maine
Re: Choice of clothing color when observing... new [Re: GeneT]
      #5283970 - 06/22/12 02:22 PM

In our part of Maine it gets pretty dark. I find fewer people bump into me when I'm wearing white. Same goes for telescopes...white. I lost my flat black 8" one night for a few minutes.

northernontario
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/01/09

Loc: Porcupine, Ontario Canada
Re: Choice of clothing color when observing... new [Re: ccaissie]
      #5284246 - 06/22/12 06:02 PM

As long as it has lots of pockets, I'll wear it.

jake

Pinbout
Postmaster

Reged: 02/22/10

Loc: nj
Re: Choice of clothing color when observing... new [Re: ccaissie]
      #5284252 - 06/22/12 06:04 PM

I just want to wear something to keep the bugs off, don't care about other people.

or is there something I can wear to keep away the guy that pulls up with his car, with his light glaring in my eyes and keeps them on...obviously a nob.

or something to keep the other guy from saying, "hey come look at what I have in my scope"...always bugging me from my eye piece time...to look at what he's looking at.

amicus sidera
Post Laureate

Re: Choice of clothing color when observing... new [Re: GeneT]
      #5284335 - 06/22/12 07:08 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Gueeze. What is behind the problem of wearing red?

Wearing a sufficient amount of red clothing (it needn't be much) in gang-infested areas might lead to the gangsters called Crips mistaking you for a member of the Bloods, a rival nation-wide gang whose gang "colors" are predominately red. The reverse can also occur if you are wearing blue, the Crip's gang "colors", and members of the Bloods spot you in their "turf". Alternatively, wearing either red or blue can lead to the gang members affiliated with those colors attempting to determine if you're one of them, and asking you to "rep yo set", or represent your gang affiliation, usually via hand signals ("throwing signs") and occasionally in conjunction with other means. Failure to do so successfully can lead to violent consequences.

Obviously, choice of observing apparel matters considerably more in some areas than in others.

I must admit that schooling the forum regarding the Crips and Bloods was entirely unanticipated when I made my original post.

izar187
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/02/06

Loc: 43N
      #5284523 - 06/22/12 10:16 PM

For public out reach and when observing in public places, so folks can see me, light colors for me too.
Light colors may work better for skeeters, and do work better for crawling insects that bite.
In my case it's a cargo pocketed unlined field jacket from a local Military Surplus store.
It is somewhat skeeter proof due to it's weave and long sleeves.

Some kind of a light colored shirt/top, and a light colored tripod or pier, work very well for sharing the night sky with others.
Additional glowing or winking lights are certainly optional, but not necessities IMHO. Strategic passive light colors are simpler.

Edited by izar187 (06/22/12 10:17 PM)

mountain monk
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/06/09

Loc: Grand Teton National Park
Re: Choice of clothing color when observing... new [Re: izar187]
      #5284691 - 06/23/12 12:44 AM

I have never seen anyone at the places I normally observer from--perhaps the lights from a distant truck, or, more likely, my wife wondering when I'm going to come to bed. A vehicle at a remote site in Wyoming at night is something most people leave alone. The owner is probably a law-abiding, if slightly odd, citizen with a dog and a gun. Red and blue clothing, gangs!? My urban/suburban education continues...

Dark skies.

Jack

Jon Isaacs
Postmaster

Reged: 06/16/04

Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA
Re: Choice of clothing color when observing... new [Re: mountain monk]
      #5284836 - 06/23/12 06:26 AM

Quote:

I have never seen anyone at the places I normally observer from--perhaps the lights from a distant truck, or, more likely, my wife wondering when I'm going to come to bed. A vehicle at a remote site in Wyoming at night is something most people leave alone. The owner is probably a law-abiding, if slightly odd, citizen with a dog and a gun. Red and blue clothing, gangs!? My urban/suburban education continues...

Dark skies.

Jack

Jack:

Your main concern is probably dressing to avoid the appearance of food to a hungry bear...

I have never concerned myself with what I look like when observing. There is rarely anyone around and if there is, it is almost certainly someone I know or someone I should know. My concern is for my comfort.

Jon

tecmageModerator
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/13/10

Loc: Glenview, IL
Re: Choice of clothing color when observing... new [Re: Jon Isaacs]
      #5284958 - 06/23/12 09:46 AM

Dressing for Bears, Gangs and Skeeters- wow! I usually dress for comfort.

mark8888
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/24/10

Re: Choice of clothing color when observing... new [Re: tecmage]
      #5285044 - 06/23/12 10:46 AM

I often wear a dark hoodie. If anyone would be foolish enough to stereotype me based on that, I would see it as their problem, not mine. If white imparts the quality of purity and innocence on the wearer in someone's mind, that's a result of their own unfortunate stereotyping and misperception. On the other hand, I'm all for avoiding the skeeters!

amicus sidera
Post Laureate

Re: Choice of clothing color when observing... new [Re: mark8888]
      #5285054 - 06/23/12 10:52 AM

Quote:

I often wear a dark hoodie. If anyone would be foolish enough to stereotype me based on that, I would see it as their problem, not mine.

True, but in the case of the police, they have the ability to make it your problem, as well.

The perception of white as "pure" runs much deeper psychologically than a simple stereotype throughout Western culture; it may even be a genetic predisposition. Other cultures vary regarding this effect; in parts of Oceania, for example, white is seen as the color of death.

mark8888
Carpal Tunnel

#5285065 - 06/23/12 10:58 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I often wear a dark hoodie. If anyone would be foolish enough to stereotype me based on that, I would see it as their problem, not mine.

True, but in the case of the police, they have the ability to make it your problem, as well.

That's true, but how much of a problem if I'm not breaking any laws? Which I wouldn't be. Anyway I like my dark hoodie, it's comfortable and the hood is useful, and I wouldn't avoid wearing it to impress anyone. I put on a white shirt and tie for work, for me that fills my allotment of dressing up per week.

Quote:

The perception of white as "pure" runs much deeper psychologically than a simple stereotype throughout Western culture; it may even be a genetic predisposition.

There are also a good number of people who find it offensive.

amicus sidera
Post Laureate

#5285069 - 06/23/12 11:03 AM

Quote:

Quote:

The perception of white as "pure" runs much deeper psychologically than a simple stereotype throughout Western culture; it may even be a genetic predisposition.

I've never met anyone who was offended by a white shirt, but perhaps I've led a sheltered life. You do realize that we're discussing fabric color?

Adam Taylor
insignificant bystander

Reged: 11/11/10

Loc: Arizona
      #5285072 - 06/23/12 11:04 AM

Quote:

Dressing for Bears, Gangs and Skeeters- wow! I usually dress for comfort.

Agree. Comfort is key. And during this part of the year in the desert, it's a light-colored t-shirt, shorts and barefeet.

mark8888
Carpal Tunnel

#5285089 - 06/23/12 11:12 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I've never met anyone who was offended by a white shirt, but perhaps I've led a sheltered life. You do realize that we're discussing fabric color?

LOL of course I didn't mean that anyone is offended by a white shirt. What some find offensive is the idea that white is "pure" while "dark" is, as you put it, a color to wear to "present a low profile to nefarious types", and there are countless websites and books discussing the idea that white=good/pure and black=bad/nefarious, and why some find it offensive, for more information.

izar187
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/02/06

Loc: 43N
      #5285102 - 06/23/12 11:21 AM

I found sleeves to be dressing for comfort in skeeter season, so switched from pocketed vest to jacket many moons ago. An old school solution that is a comfort compromise on hot nights.

White as a cultural color of death sounds like a literal connection to bone white.

tejasdragon
sage

Reged: 09/08/11

Loc: Garland, Texas
      #5285155 - 06/23/12 11:54 AM

Quote:

Quote:

The perception of white as "pure" runs much deeper psychologically than a simple stereotype throughout Western culture; it may even be a genetic predisposition. Other cultures vary regarding this effect; in parts of Oceania, for example, white is seen as the color of death.

Attitude is what affects the law dogs, not clothes.
the way I dress might have then take a second look
at me, and that is OK it is there job. But a law dogs
response to me is a reflection of what kind of grief
I give him from the get go. In my wild days I'd regularly
be the only one that did not go to jail or got off
a lot easier because I was always polite to them.
It affects all that happens after that first "What
are you up to" and "ID now" from how ruff you may
be treated while being arrested to how the judge
sentences you. I now been there done it. Being
polite to them can be the difference in a few
months in jail or year or two.

csa/montana
Den Mama

#5285163 - 06/23/12 11:58 AM

Let's get back on the subject of choice of clothing; rather than the "good or bad", of white & black. That's a topic for OTO, not here.

FJA
Sketcher Extraordinaire

Reged: 11/17/04

Loc: 50.65° N, 1.15° W
Re: Choice of clothing color when observing... new [Re: csa/montana]
      #5285172 - 06/23/12 12:02 PM

When observing I just wear whatever I have on at the time. The choice of colour just doesn't come into it.

BigC
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Choice of clothing color when observing... new [Re: izar187]
      #5285199 - 06/23/12 12:17 PM

"]I found sleeves to be dressing for comfort in skeeter season, so switched from pocketed vest to jacket many moons ago. An old school solution that is a comfort compromise on hot nights."

It is notable that desert dwellers favor clothing that leaves little of the body exposed to scorching sunlight.Loose-fitting light colors seem to predominate.

Observing at night is another matter entirely;although thinking on it,any skin left exposed is an invitation to mosquitos in this area half the year!

Maybe a beekeepers suit with eyeholes for astronomy?

plav1959
sage

Reged: 05/10/07

Loc: Central Florida
      #5285258 - 06/23/12 12:58 PM

That does it. In order to not offend anyone by my choice of clothing, draw the attention of the police based on my style of clothing , or attract problems with bands of gang members based on my choice of clothing colors, I will be observing naked from here on out!

plav1959
sage

Reged: 05/10/07

Loc: Central Florida
Re: Choice of clothing color when observing... new [Re: plav1959]
      #5285265 - 06/23/12 01:01 PM

But seriously, I just dress based on comfort and temperature. Honestly never really thought about colors...

mark8888
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Choice of clothing color when observing... new [Re: plav1959]
      #5285286 - 06/23/12 01:12 PM

Quote:

That does it. In order to not offend anyone by my choice of clothing, draw the attention of the police based on my style of clothing , or attract problems with bands of gang members based on my choice of clothing colors, I will be observing naked from here on out!

especially considering the humdity these days, sounds good to me!

Fuzzyguy
professor emeritus

Reged: 12/21/11

Loc: Colorado/Kansas
      #5285314 - 06/23/12 01:26 PM

I prefer to wear dark colors when observing. My theory is that black reflects less light, therefore helping maintain dark adaptation. I've got a black hoodie that works well and isn't too hot, except July and August in Kansas! Then it's shorts, tee, sandals and deet! (hope my new thermacell will work as well as deet)

City Kid
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/06/09

Loc: Northern Indiana
      #5285397 - 06/23/12 02:44 PM

I always wear clothes when I'm observing.

evilmedic13

Reged: 06/23/12

Loc: Chicago,Il
      #5285680 - 06/23/12 05:43 PM

In my yard, whatever I want. If I venture past the security of my house, usually a hockey jersy with a hoodie underneath. I'm 6" 225lbs as it is, add a size 52 jersey and an xl hoodie, and I don't look like someone you'd want to know in a bad way.
I usually pick the white/away jersey, this way the police can spot me if they need to speak to me. I'm a paramedic in their district, so it's usually a short lived experience. It usually goes like this, "Excuse me sir. Oh, hey, what are you doing out here?" My answers vary depending on mood, and night. Always cordial, just less humorous if I know they're having a rough night.

csa/montana
Den Mama

Re: Choice of clothing color when observing... new [Re: evilmedic13]
      #5285707 - 06/23/12 05:56 PM

Welcome to CN! Glad to have you join us on the forums.

GeneT
Ely Kid

Reged: 11/07/08

Loc: South Texas
      #5286781 - 06/24/12 01:42 PM

Quote:

I must admit that schooling the forum regarding the Crips and Bloods was entirely unanticipated when I made my original post.

Yes--but this was interesting, and very possibly valuable information.

mdalton

Reged: 10/05/12

Loc: Farmington, Mo
      #5557992 - 12/06/12 05:55 PM

I have never given it any thought. I only dress for the cold if needed.

simpleisbetter
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 04/18/11

Re: Choice of clothing color when observing... new [Re: mdalton]
      #5558077 - 12/06/12 06:54 PM

Warm in winter, cool in summer, otherwise whatever is comfortable and functional. Color doesn't much matter.

csa/montana
Den Mama

Re: Choice of clothing color when observing... new [Re: simpleisbetter]
      #5558188 - 12/06/12 08:00 PM

Quote:

Warm in winter, cool in summer, otherwise whatever is comfortable and functional. Color doesn't much matter.

Same here.

Meadeball
sage

Reged: 10/22/12

Loc: Midlothian, Virginia
      #5558654 - 12/07/12 03:12 AM

I wear a huge, oversized leather coat with a big gold crown embroidered on the back, lots of gold chains, and a pair of blue jeans fastened around my thighs so people can see my boxers. I observe out of the back of a black Hummer with 22-inch chrome rims. Nobody bothers me.

BTW, anybody know where you can get a C8 goldplated?

Edited by Meadeball (12/07/12 03:17 AM)

Pinbout
Postmaster

Reged: 02/22/10

Loc: nj
      #5558759 - 12/07/12 07:38 AM

Quote:

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Same here.

My wife thinks the telescopes are bad enough, but if I'm not at least a little fashionable it just makes it worse.

so with fashion in mind, I just found out the new color for 2013 is: color of the year

Danzup77
professor emeritus

Reged: 09/12/11

#5558774 - 12/07/12 07:54 AM

I wear what ever the heck I feel like throwing on and could care less what random passers by think....lol. Keep walking if you are scared people sorry

In this country its almost our new identity to be offended by every thing and every one. sad sad sad.....Get a grip and suck it up!!! People love creating issues lol...

Edited by Danzup77 (12/07/12 08:01 AM)

Danzup77
professor emeritus

Reged: 09/12/11

Re: Choice of clothing color when observing... new [Re: Danzup77]
      #5558779 - 12/07/12 07:59 AM

MeadeBall you may need a counterweight for that C8 after

Feidb
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/09/09

Loc: Nevada
Re: Choice of clothing color when observing... new [Re: Danzup77]
      #5558951 - 12/07/12 10:03 AM

I'm not exactly one that has ever thought about something like this. Colors, matching, worrying about what anyone thinks. I pretty much wear the same things anyway. It has to be warm, cool, depending on the night, but most important, comfortable, and whatever I happen to have on. I could care less about anything else.

csrlice12
Postmaster

Reged: 05/22/12

Loc: Denver, CO
      #5558971 - 12/07/12 10:13 AM

Maybe we should color cordinate what we wear with the color of our scope....maybe even take some of those old leg warmers from the 80s and put'em on our refractors (they came in many colors)and replaceable "wraps" for our dobs...

csrlice12
Postmaster

Re: Choice of clothing color when observing... new [Re: Pinbout]
      #5558973 - 12/07/12 10:15 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Same here.

My wife thinks the telescopes are bad enough, but if I'm not at least a little fashionable it just makes it worse.

so with fashion in mind, I just found out the new color for 2013 is: color of the year

Just what we needed--more Televue!!!!

FirstSight
Duke of Deneb

Reged: 12/26/05

Loc: Raleigh, NC
Re: Choice of clothing color when observing... new [Re: csrlice12]
      #5559072 - 12/07/12 11:07 AM

Seems that the potential importance of color falls into three categories:
1) At respondent's usual observing sites, how relatively important is choice of color to communicating benign intent to others?
2) At respondent's usual observing sites, how relatively important is choice of color to observer's comfort and ability to successfully function? (mosquitoes, dark/unreflective vs light/reflective);
3) How important is it to the respondent's self-regard to be (and appear) well put-together even in the dark vs whatever-the-heck whatever keeps me warm enough even if it's striped pants and plaid jacket, I'm in the dark anyway. Some people simply don't feel comfortable dressed in a way they consider sloppy, even if they're going out into the dark. Others: hey, who cares, I'm going to a dark site alone or with a few buds who don't care either.

csrlice12
Postmaster

Re: Choice of clothing color when observing... new [Re: FirstSight]
      #5559492 - 12/07/12 03:30 PM

Actually, for where I view, I'd be wondering what the heck the cops would be doing way out there in the midddle of nowhere.....Snipe Hunting????

tecmageModerator
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/13/10

Loc: Glenview, IL
Re: Choice of clothing color when observing... new [Re: Meadeball]
      #5559749 - 12/07/12 06:22 PM

Quote:

I wear a huge, oversized leather coat with a big gold crown embroidered on the back, lots of gold chains, and a pair of blue jeans fastened around my thighs so people can see my boxers. I observe out of the back of a black Hummer with 22-inch chrome rims. Nobody bothers me.

BTW, anybody know where you can get a C8 goldplated?

Is that you Dr. Detroit?

BigC
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Choice of clothing color when observing... new [Re: FirstSight]
      #5559775 - 12/07/12 06:34 PM

Camoflage outfit,camoflage painted truck,camoflage painted scope.Tell them you are setting up an observation post.

But not forest camo in a snow-covered field.Have to adjust to the deploymeny area!

Doc Willie
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/31/10

Loc: Mid-Hudson Valley, NY, USA
      #5559810 - 12/07/12 06:52 PM

Dark Skies Apparel makes their hooded observing vest in white for solar viewers. Trouble is, that hood makes one look like a member of the KKK. Probably not cool in some areas.

FirstSight
Duke of Deneb

Reged: 12/26/05

Loc: Raleigh, NC
Re: Choice of clothing color when observing... new [Re: Doc Willie]
      #5559970 - 12/07/12 09:09 PM

Quote:

Dark Skies Apparel makes their hooded observing vest in white for solar viewers. Trouble is, that hood makes one look like a member of the KKK. Probably not cool in some areas.

Or perhaps like a HazMat worker measuring toxic contamination with telescope-like instruments.

Meadeball
sage

Reged: 10/22/12

Loc: Midlothian, Virginia
Re: Choice of clothing color when observing... new [Re: csrlice12]
      #5560291 - 12/08/12 01:26 AM

Quote:

Maybe we should color cordinate what we wear with the color of our scope....

OK then, what's the URL for Princeton University's campus store?

star drop
contra contrail

Reged: 02/02/08

Loc: Snow Plop, WNY
Re: Choice of clothing color when observing... new [Re: Meadeball]
      #5560338 - 12/08/12 02:11 AM

Color coordination with ones telescope is the way to go. Matching shirt, pants, coat, shoes, etc.

Tony Flanders
Postmaster

Reged: 05/18/06

Loc: Cambridge, MA, USA
Re: Choice of clothing color when observing... new [Re: star drop]
      #5560465 - 12/08/12 07:22 AM

Quote:

Color coordination with ones telescope is the way to go. Matching shirt, pants, coat, shoes, etc.

Obviously, this is the real reason that so many amateur astronomers own multiple telescopes. Black and white for formal occasions, plaid for rural retreats, and so on . . .

CharlesW
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 11/02/12

Loc: Chula Vista & Indio, CA
      #5562223 - 12/09/12 11:11 AM

I was a deputy sheriff for 27 years. I have contacted tens of thousands of people, both good and bad, at all times of the day and night. If I saw someone wearing all black looking through a telescope, my first response would be, "Mind if I take a look?" And even if you didn't have a right to be where you set up, well- that's why there is "spirit" and "letter" of the law. I'd probably just tell you to have a good night and be safe.

NeilMac
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/25/10

Loc: MedHat, AB, Canada
      #5562317 - 12/09/12 12:03 PM

I am actually thinking about color since im in the process of stitching together a hoody (store versions are so small and I want one that will hang past my face) so I chose navy blue, dont like black and navy blue does not reflect undesirable color from the street lights.

wky46
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/12/05

Loc: west Ky.
Re: Choice of clothing color when observing... new [Re: NeilMac]
      #5563229 - 12/09/12 10:02 PM

Summer attire (day and evening, seven days a week)- Plain white T-shirt. Khaki, camo or light weight jean shorts. White tube socks. Blue deck sneakers or light weight tan hiking boots. White 'Fruit of the Loom' briefs....

csa/montana
Den Mama

Re: Choice of clothing color when observing... new [Re: wky46]
      #5563337 - 12/09/12 11:34 PM

TMI !

Joe Bergeron
Vendor - Space Art

Reged: 11/10/03

Loc: Upstate NY
      #5563519 - 12/10/12 03:36 AM

I always rent a spanking new white tuxedo for my observing sessions, with a sky blue cummerbund if I wish to cut a particularly dashing figure. Never has the gendarmerie found reason to take issue with my presence.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
3 registered and 16 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  cildarith, panhard, tecmage 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3173

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics