Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

General Astronomy >> General Observing and Astronomy

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Astrodj
professor emeritus

Reged: 08/24/11

Loc: Missouri
Observing Chair at Last
      #5497879 - 10/31/12 02:40 PM

40+ years of observing without a proper chair, making do with this or that, rarely being very comfortable...finally done with that! The little folding metal stool I have been using collapsed on me the other night, always a fun little surprise, right? Spilled me over onto the ground like I'd been shot.

So, today I ordered the Smart Seat C3 (looks exactly the same) from Frank at BuyAstroStuff. I called to make sure they had them in stock first, they do.

I am so pumped! $125 shipped. I just had to share my enthusiasm! I have waited much too long to do this.

Edited by Astrodj (10/31/12 05:35 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
City Kid
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/06/09

Loc: Northern Indiana
Re: Observing Chair at Last new [Re: Astrodj]
      #5497929 - 10/31/12 03:12 PM

Once you start using your new chair you will wonder why you didn't get one a long time ago. Enjoy your new found comfort.

JimMo
I'd Rather Do It Myself

Reged: 01/08/07

Loc: Under the SE Michigan lightdom...
Re: Observing Chair at Last new [Re: City Kid]
      #5497966 - 10/31/12 03:34 PM

I could not observe without my adjustable chair as my back couldn't take it. It's usually the first accessory I suggest when one buys a dob. Enjoy the comfortable views.

NeilMac
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/25/10

Loc: MedHat, AB, Canada
Re: Observing Chair at Last new [Re: JimMo]
      #5498043 - 10/31/12 04:26 PM

lol,I wish I had one, my poor back having to deal with a new routine.

DavidC
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 11/24/05

Loc: Mesa, Arizona
      #5498216 - 10/31/12 06:23 PM

Congrats, that sure beats a 3 step, folding step stool. I guess that's a poor man's observing stool, but I prefer to observe upright it's easier on my back.
David

rookie
Good Night Nurse

Reged: 01/14/06

Loc: St. Petersburg, FL
Re: Observing Chair at Last new [Re: DavidC]
      #5498220 - 10/31/12 06:26 PM

I have the same chair! Excellent choice. It's light but very strong, and will adjust to any position. There are no presets. It works well at star party because it can be repositioned quickly.

You're going to love being comfortable and being able to relax and enjoy your telecope more.

FeynmanFan
professor emeritus

Reged: 02/18/11

Loc: N Colo front range
Re: Observing Chair at Last new [Re: rookie]
      #5498338 - 10/31/12 07:38 PM

I use a Starbound, but no matter. Any chair is better than no chair; it lets me concentrate on what's in the eyepiece, rather than trying to shift my weight around to keep my back from hurting.
You will absolutely find your time at the eyepiece more productive and comfortable.

JayinUT
I'm not Sleepy

Reged: 09/19/08

Loc: Utah
Re: Observing Chair at Last new [Re: FeynmanFan]
      #5498375 - 10/31/12 08:03 PM

Went through a Walmart stool with an 8 inch dob. Then a Starbound then a Stardust Chair and finally, made my own. The one I made I hope will be my final chair. Congrats on your first chair, it makes a world of difference!

Edited by JayinUT (10/31/12 08:04 PM)

Matt N

Reged: 11/04/11

Loc: Edmond, OK
      #5498634 - 10/31/12 10:52 PM

I have that chair also. I did a lot of research before I bought mine and I am glad I got it. It is so easy and quick to adjust the height. Had it for a couple of months now and it has performed flawlessly.

Matt

Starman81
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/06/08

Loc: Metro Detroit, MI, USA
Re: Observing Chair at Last new [Re: Matt N]
      #5498831 - 11/01/12 01:24 AM

Congrats! I love observing with a chair so much that I will almost suggest buying an observing chair before buying the actual scope!

Astrodj
professor emeritus

Re: Observing Chair at Last new [Re: Starman81]
      #5499052 - 11/01/12 09:11 AM

Thanks everyone for the replies! My chair has already shipped from Denver so I'm in for some cloudy weather in a day or two probably...

I considered different options and scoured the CN forum to help me make up my mind. So many helpful and knowing people here! It seems every choice has some kind of drawback to it, either weight, cost, effort to build, design differences, etc.

The chair I finally decided on was the one that seems to fit the bill for me and has a pretty good price point. I will no doubt appreciate it even more having done without for so long!

REC
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/20/10

Loc: NC
      #5499066 - 11/01/12 09:25 AM

That looks like a good choice at a reasonable cost. I may have to get one of them. Anyone comment on the seat padding, I have a bony butt and need padding:)

Right now I have been using a cheap office chair on the patio which has wheels and some height adjustment, but no good on the lawn. A chair is a must with an SCT scope and makes my observing very comfortable at the eyepiece.

Thanks for your post!

Bob

Gastrol
Pooh-Bah

Loc: los angeles
Re: Observing Chair at Last new [Re: REC]
      #5499388 - 11/01/12 12:52 PM

I use the Starbound chair and am pretty happy with it.
But at dark site gatherings I'm surprised to see dozens of people with no chair and just a handful of people using them.
They definitely make the night more enjoyable.

Matt N

Loc: Edmond, OK
Re: Observing Chair at Last new [Re: REC]
      #5499827 - 11/01/12 07:59 PM

Quote:

. Anyone comment on the seat padding, I have a bony butt and need padding:)

The seat padding is pretty good, not as substantial as say a drummers stool would be, but I find it to be sufficient.

Matt

bassplayer142
professor emeritus

Reged: 10/03/11

Loc: Michigan
Re: Observing Chair at Last new [Re: Matt N]
      #5499890 - 11/01/12 08:43 PM

I need to get a chair myself. I'm currently using a drum throne which does well at low to medium angles of the 16". Standing and observing at zenith is fine with me also but there's someplace around 60 degrees where the chair or standing doesn't cut it.

rookie
Good Night Nurse

Reged: 01/14/06

Loc: St. Petersburg, FL
Re: Observing Chair at Last new [Re: bassplayer142]
      #5500015 - 11/01/12 09:55 PM

I used to sit on the arm of a pvc chair, bend over until my back hurt or kneel on a stool. The problem with all of that besides the discomfort is that your eyes can't relax and pick up fine details. When you are truly still and relaxed you see a whole lot more, you won't get so worn out, and you'll enjoy your telescope more. It took me 2 years to make the investment, but it's probably one of the most important accessories I have.

This chair does not have a lot of thick padding. The comfort lies in the correct placement of your body in relation eyepiece.

I've pinched my finger in the seat and frame when breaking down my astronomy gear and have learned to secure them together with a bungie cord for transport.

Astrodj
professor emeritus

#5500289 - 11/02/12 01:10 AM

About the padding..

One idea I read about that seemed interesting was to use a Therm-a-seat pad like this, and velcro it to the seat.

I tried one out in the local store (they had a big box of them in camo for hunting season) and it felt pretty cushy. It's about 9-10" in diameter, 4" thick, and light as a feather. I'm going give that a try with my new chair, if I feel like it needs it.

Astrodj
professor emeritus

#5500314 - 11/02/12 01:23 AM

Quote:

This chair does not have a lot of thick padding. The comfort lies in the correct placement of your body in relation eyepiece.

I believe you hit the nail on the head about comfort. There's more to it than a cushy tushy.

Quote:

I've pinched my finger in the seat and frame when breaking down my astronomy gear and have learned to secure them together with a bungie cord for transport.

That's a nice tip, and good to know.

REC
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/20/10

Loc: NC
      #5500643 - 11/02/12 10:06 AM

That's a great idea! I'll get that chair for $125 and then the cushion for $7.

Thanks all:)

Bob

festa_freak

Reged: 12/22/11

Loc: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
      #5500690 - 11/02/12 10:48 AM

I just made a LYBAR chair at the cabin out of scrap 2x8. It looks like:

|..............|
|________|
|..............|
|________|
|..............|

okay, that looks wierd but I designed it to be 20", 16" and around 12-14" whatever way you spin it. It was cheap to make (free) and it does very well for a young man. Eventually I will get a nice adjustable chair but before that this will suit me fine.

Grats on the chair, it makes a huge difference.

EDIT: Well, that didn't work, just imagine the right side should look like the left. here, let me add periods which your mind can blank out. The solid lines are the peices of wood. Man, a picture speaks a thousand words...

Edited by festa_freak (11/02/12 10:50 AM)

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
5 registered and 11 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  cildarith, panhard, tecmage 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3168

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics