Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

General Astronomy >> General Observing and Astronomy

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Matt N

Reged: 11/04/11

Loc: Edmond, OK
Re: Observing Chair at Last new [Re: REC]
      #5501412 - 11/02/12 07:17 PM

Bob, I stand corrected on the chair you are looking at getting. I am currently sitting on mine waiting for it to get dark tonight and I am realizing that the cushion isn't all that. It is about position and not backside comfort for sure!
Of course it was pretty cold last weekend and I had more clothing on than tonight. 30 last weekend and 80 right now...

Excellent suggestion by DJ on the cushion! I may run to the store right quick to something for mine!

Matt

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Astrodj
professor emeritus

Reged: 08/24/11

Loc: Missouri
Re: Observing Chair at Last new [Re: Matt N]
      #5504547 - 11/04/12 08:51 PM

I was out of town so it didn't matter much, but for those interested I recieved the chair on Friday (placed the order on Wednesday). A+ to Frank at BuyAstroStuff!

Feeling good Lewis!

REC
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/20/10

Loc: NC
Re: Observing Chair at Last new [Re: Astrodj]
      #5505139 - 11/05/12 09:30 AM

Take a pic with your new chair at the scope:)

C_Moon
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 10/23/09

Loc: Beneath the arms of Cassiopeia
      #5505414 - 11/05/12 12:57 PM

I waited awhile to get my chair (not as long as you )

For the first couple weeks I had it I found myself occasionally forgetting I could adjust the height after switching targets. I had become so used to stretching and contorting.

You'll love it!

Astrodj
professor emeritus

#5505717 - 11/05/12 05:12 PM

As soon as it quits raining, I will! Pic that is.

Astrodj
professor emeritus

Re: Observing Chair at Last new [Re: C_Moon]
      #5505733 - 11/05/12 05:32 PM

Paul,

I could so see myself doing the same thing!

pgrunwald

Reged: 08/09/09

Loc: Albuquerque, NM
      #5629073 - 01/17/13 10:58 PM

Thanks for this thread. I just got the CPRO-800LP on Amazon for $91.50 and as I have Prime, it is free shipping. I had been using a Quik-Lok D-749 musician's stool but it was not very quick to adjust. I'm really looking forward to it after reading all the positive posts.

REC
Post Laureate

Re: Observing Chair at Last new [Re: pgrunwald]
      #5629598 - 01/18/13 10:06 AM

I'd be interested how you like the comfort of the padded seat when you get it. It's on my next "buy" list:)

Bob

bhuloka

Reged: 03/06/12

Loc: Maryland, USA
      #5634761 - 01/21/13 11:33 AM

After reading this thread three days ago, I went right over to Hands on Optics, and bought a Stardust chair. (I'd been contemplating it for months, but thought it a low-priority, optional purchase). I then went observing the next two nights. What a huge difference the chair made! Even at zenith with my 16" f/4.5 dob, I can sit in total relaxed comfort. Last Summer, when I switched from my SCT (sold it last month) to a dob, my only feeling of regret was for that loss of seated viewing comfort. I thought an observing chair would never be high enough for zenith viewing ,or low enough for lowdown views. So I've been stretching, crouching and contorting for 6 months. My neck hurt after standing in odd positions. Now I suddenly find myself in total comfort, sipping hot herb tea. What a relief and a pleasure! The chair, combined with my brand new Black Night binoviewers (and two pairs of high eye-relief Siebert Ultra eyepieces), has entirely changed my observing experience.
Two things I'll (almost) never do again:
1. monoviewing (even for DSO's, a binoviewer is vastly superior IMHO) 2. chairless viewing.

My God, now I'll even set up just so I can sit outdoors with a mug of hot tea on my comfy chair, meditate, pray, and occasionally peek into the scope! Starwatching was always a beautiful adventure, but now it is (again) a joy!

Mike B
Starstruck

Reged: 04/06/05

Loc: shake, rattle, & roll, CA
Re: Observing Chair at Last new [Re: bhuloka]
      #5634928 - 01/21/13 01:01 PM

Quote:

... bought a Stardust chair... What a huge difference the chair made! Even at zenith with my 16" f/4.5 dob, I can sit in total relaxed comfort.

My experience is similar... have had the Stardust for a long while, even before i went Dob ~6 years ago; with the seat at the top rung, i can perch comfortably for viewing near zenith with my 15" F4.55 Dob! The very top 10* circle at zenith works better for me standing- but that's probably height-dependent... i'm guessing you're fairly tall?

The 'C3' chair the OP acquired certainly looks tempting, tho... its 15# weight is an attractive factor, and its seat-area is clearly larger! OTOH, the Stardust chair adjusts over a notably greater range- 13-35" versus the C3's 18-33"... and with a Dob, you WILL very likely use BOTH extremes!

The only downside to the Stardust i've found is the relatively narrow seat- one which does NOT extend to the vertical support-rail. I love to, at times, lean my back against the rail to stretch, or enjoy a little naked-eye astronomy... taking a break from the eyepiece(s). Doing so with the Stardust puts your fanny onto the hard edge of the seat, and is decidedly uncomfortable! I've used a friends 'C3' seat (i *think* that's what it was?), and the larger seat area, which extends farther back to the support rail, was really, really, comfy!

I'm afraid the more i consider this matter, the more likely i'm gonna break down & end up with *BOTH* chairs!

Quote:

for DSO's, a binoviewer is vastly superior IMHO

MHO, as well! But i know this varies by the user. Nice to have choices, eh?

Enjoy that new Stardust!

bhuloka

Re: Observing Chair at Last new [Re: Mike B]
      #5635027 - 01/21/13 01:56 PM

I, a tall guy? Nope, I'm a shorty. I just got too enthusiastic in my comment. "NEAR zenith", I should've said. At full zenith I'd probably need to stand on the little 3" flat metal box which I have been using until now. I haven't actually tried it yet.

bhuloka

Re: Observing Chair at Last new [Re: bhuloka]
      #5686932 - 02/18/13 12:38 PM

Well, now I've tested viewing at zenith with the Stardust chair, and in fact it is quite comfortable at full zenith with my 16" f/4.5

That's as high as it goes, but I am a short person, and have no trouble relaxing, easily adjusting my eye position to my binoviewers. So the chair is much better than I'd hoped.

Now, however, I'm thinking of getting an EQ platform, so that I can have tracking on this scope. (Goto packages seem to be too expensive.) But an EQ platform will add 4.5" to scope height, so there will go my seated zenith viewing.

Astrodj
professor emeritus

#5689133 - 02/19/13 03:48 PM

Quote:

I'd be interested how you like the comfort of the padded seat when you get it. It's on my next "buy" list:)

Bob

Having used the chair for a few months now I can say I agree with others who said being at eyepiece height is what makes the chair comfy, not so much the padding.

That said, I do like the inexpensive pad with strap/loop that slips over the inner back bar support. It is much warmer on the seat in winter, as well as being softer. It fits pretty well, makes the seat effectively larger, and stays in place with the web loop the seat comes with.

Here are some shots of the chair and cushion combo.

Chair and cushion folded:

Unfolded, cushion hanging in back:

Unfolded, cushion in front:

No velcro needed!

Sorry about the delay in posting pics, but since the thread got bumped I thought I might as well take the opportunity.

rookie
Good Night Nurse

Reged: 01/14/06

Loc: St. Petersburg, FL
      #5689959 - 02/19/13 11:25 PM

That's a great addition DJ.
Where did you find the pad?

Astrodj
professor emeritus

Re: Observing Chair at Last new [Re: rookie]
      #5690102 - 02/20/13 01:40 AM

Hi again, I bought the pad here. It is camo on one side and black on the other. Thanks!

REC
Post Laureate

#5690429 - 02/20/13 09:14 AM

That looks good with the cushion added, have to pick one up I think!

John Kuraoka
sage

Reged: 12/12/12

Loc: Sunny San Diego, CA
      #5690642 - 02/20/13 11:10 AM

I recently bought the same chair, also sold as a Vestil CPRO-800LP, and reviewed it here:
http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/5676774/page...

It's a great observing chair and an outstanding value. My modification plan is to cover the seat with something a bit more visible and less slippery. I just need to get to the fabric store to look through their upholstery remnants.

Astrodj
professor emeritus

#5692113 - 02/21/13 02:01 AM

Feels good too!

Astrodj
professor emeritus

Re: Observing Chair at Last new [Re: John Kuraoka]
      #5692115 - 02/21/13 02:04 AM

John,
That's a comprehensive review which pretty much sums it up. You are about 39 years smarter than me for getting a proper chair right away!

It is nice to hear a comparison with the Starbound Chair also. Obviously there are some subtle differences that would appeal to different people.

Another chair I have had a chance to use (not own) was the Stardust Chair. Hands On Optics carries it. The fellow I purchased my 10" dob from has one and I had the chance to use it a couple of times when taking a peek through his most awesome 16" Teeter Dob. I think it is a better chair than mine overall, more robust, and just a high quality feel to it in every regard. A tad more cumbersome to adjust, and a little heavier to tote, but a great feel when observing in it. Just one more perspective.

I am contented enough with my chair that I can live without having the better, or best stuff (can you say Catsperch?), as long as I have something decent! Resin chairs indeed!

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
5 registered and 23 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  cildarith, panhard, tecmage 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3164

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics