Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

General Astronomy >> General Observing and Astronomy

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)
csrlice12
Postmaster

Reged: 05/22/12

Loc: Denver, CO
Re: I may have been happier before Cloudy Nights new [Re: cheapersleeper]
      #5531670 - 11/21/12 08:25 AM

Had a Tasco scope in the mid 60s (wish I still had it). Didn't have another till about a year ago and did a lot of research before buying the 10" Dob. Just went by yesterday and ordered an Omni 102XLT for Christmas. I love the 10", great scope. But for backyard viewing, it was a bit of a chore to drag it out for just a couple of hours or less. I have no plans of going any bigger on either a reflector or refractor. I bought the dob because I'll be retiring in a few years and wanted to pick up a hobby; it was then that I remembered all the fun I had as a kid with that scope.....I know I'll be happy with these the rest of my life...

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
cheapersleeper
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/22/10

Loc: Sachse TX
Re: I may have been happier before Cloudy Nights new [Re: csrlice12]
      #5531729 - 11/21/12 08:58 AM

Quote:

Had a Tasco scope in the mid 60s (wish I still had it). Didn't have another till about a year ago and did a lot of research before buying the 10" Dob. Just went by yesterday and ordered an Omni 102XLT for Christmas. I love the 10", great scope. But for backyard viewing, it was a bit of a chore to drag it out for just a couple of hours or less. I have no plans of going any bigger on either a reflector or refractor. I bought the dob because I'll be retiring in a few years and wanted to pick up a hobby; it was then that I remembered all the fun I had as a kid with that scope.....I know I'll be happy with these the rest of my life...

Four words: You need a twelve.

B

galexand
sage

Reged: 07/10/12

Loc: Bloomington Indiana
Re: I may have been happier before Cloudy Nights new [Re: Pinbout]
      #5532051 - 11/21/12 11:35 AM

I love all these simple ways to test your optics -- star test, knife edge, etc. They don't make me dissatisfied with my telescope (I paid $300, I already know it's not perfection), or I would probably regret my affiliation with you guys.

Recently I discovered that if you severely defocus a bright star (so its light covers nearly your entire field of view), you can see moving air clear as day. I can set my hand just below the front of the tube and see the warm air rising from it (YMMV if your local government hasn't invented 'winter' yet). Way cool.

orion61

Reged: 10/20/07

Loc: Birthplace James T Kirk
Re: I may have been happier before Cloudy Nights new [Re: galexand]
      #5532052 - 11/21/12 11:36 AM

I have found that after 40+ years viewing no one scope is great for everything.
My 102mm ED Meade is a great scope especially for Doubles, but my 7" Mak is better,
I have a 12" LX200 but the thing is so heavy and my Midwest skys arent that great, BUT I go running for it on those great seeing nights.
a little C6 NexStar se is a perfect grab and go scope,
so is the 127 SLT Mak. Do I miss my 17" DOB yes but my back doesn't

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)

Extra information
2 registered and 17 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  cildarith, panhard, tecmage 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3451

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics