Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

General Astronomy >> General Observing and Astronomy

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)
csrlice12
Postmaster

Reged: 05/22/12

Loc: Denver, CO
Re: Neighbor's Annoying Dog new [Re: JohnMurphyRN]
      #5535791 - 11/23/12 04:00 PM

You could always get a pet alligator......

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Mxplx2
sage

Reged: 09/12/12

Loc: NE PA USA
Re: Neighbor's Annoying Dog new [Re: Pinbout]
      #5535832 - 11/23/12 04:29 PM

When I moved here, I found one of my neighbors had a yappy and agressive mutt. The chain link fence between yards certainly didn't help, so I had a 6' privacy fence put up to block the mutt's view. It was worth every penny.

Javier
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/03/09

Loc: 15 Minutes west of the Manhatt...
Re: Neighbor's Annoying Dog new [Re: Daniel Mounsey]
      #5535865 - 11/23/12 05:06 PM

Daniel, I know how you feel. My neighbors dog freaks out and barks when the leaves fall off the trees during the fall and it breaks my concentration. I like dogs but yappy barking dogs that bark for no reason drive me nuts.

azure1961p
Postmaster

Reged: 01/17/09

Loc: USA
Re: Neighbor's Annoying Dog new [Re: Maverick199]
      #5535899 - 11/23/12 05:21 PM

Been there and it is aggrevating. But that was a while ago. Something to consider is an iPod and decent MEE or Skullcandy earbuds. Put on whatever and be done. The numerous unofficial best earplugs are Maks silicone plugs. Nothing but nothing muffles a screaming cockatoo (worse than any dog) like these. The yap yap and arf arf of a dog is yearly minimized and often totally blocked.

Pete

Eigen

Reged: 07/26/12

Re: Neighbor's Annoying Dog new [Re: azure1961p]
      #5535974 - 11/23/12 06:10 PM

While you are figuring out a solution to your predicament, I would suggest listening to music while you observe.

IEM or In Ear Monitor headphones, can block out all outside noise even at low music volume. This is how I usually observe. Unless I am alone in a dark site.

Mozart's Jupiter is a favorite for me this time of the year. I find classical music to be quite pleasing when stargazing, reminiscent of the scene in 2001: A Space Odyssey, when Blue Danube plays.

This should tide you over until the situation can be resolved, perhaps you might even get used to it?

wky46
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/12/05

Loc: west Ky.
Re: Neighbor's Annoying Dog new [Re: Pinbout]
      #5536148 - 11/23/12 07:43 PM

As has been mentioned, give it treats. But I'll add to that-'alot' of good treats. Give it a big meaty bone to occupy him. And then some kibbles, then some steak....left over macaroni and cheese. He'll be too fat and sleepy to bark

rdandrea
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 06/13/10

Loc: Colorado, USA DM59ra
Re: Neighbor's Annoying Dog new [Re: wky46]
      #5536244 - 11/23/12 08:52 PM

Quote:

As has been mentioned, give it treats. But I'll add to that-'alot' of good treats. Give it a big meaty bone to occupy him. And then some kibbles, then some steak....left over macaroni and cheese. He'll be too fat and sleepy to bark

Good way to shorten his life. Not a good thing to do.

Littlegreenman
Post Laureate

Reged: 05/09/05

Loc: Southern California
Re: Neighbor's Annoying Dog new [Re: csrlice12]
      #5536246 - 11/23/12 08:54 PM

Quote:

You could always get a pet alligator......

No...get your own dog. A BIG dog.

<sigh>
Okay, I succumbed to the urge to be funny, and barely made it. Maybe. One of the risks and dangers you run on forums.
===
Unfortunately the OP says he is in an impossible situaion. The dog owner is too emotionally or mentally frail to even listen to his complaint. (Unless she's skilled and using her apparent frailty to manipulate people, maybe not even aware she's doing it). The OP reports that "telling" on her to the authorities would result in severe bad-blood with the other neighbors. I don't don't know if he has attempted to approach the woman in daylight, when the dog is not in the middle of a yapping episode.

In the city I used to live in, I had neigbors who would party loudly a couple of times a month till 2 AM. I eventually called the police one night. The police got them to be quiet, although it took three visits.

The police told me the city had a non-police noise abatement office. He said they were pretty effective in preventing problems. In this case he said they would probably go to the landlord, and inform the landlord that he or she would be fined if the police came out again and found a problem. He said that the result was that landlords often evicted the noise makers.

So, here's an idea. Call the police, or city hall, and ask them if your city has a government agency other than the police that may help, maybe an ombudsman or your city may have a noise abatement office. The idea is to keep the police out of it, so you won't be the 'heavy' who called the police. Explain your situation: you have one problem with the neighbor you want fixed, but you don't want to call the police on her, and explain the reasons why you don't want to call the police on her. The worst that could happen is the city tells you, sorry, all we have for this is the police.

LGM

Pinbout
Postmaster

Reged: 02/22/10

Loc: nj
Re: Neighbor's Annoying Dog new [Re: Littlegreenman]
      #5536409 - 11/23/12 10:49 PM

Quote:

No...get your own dog. A BIG dog.

<sigh>
Okay, I succumbed to the urge to be funny, and barely made it. Maybe. One of the risks and dangers you run on forums.

It made me smile.

I wish my house was big enough for a big dog, but it is so small I don't even want a little mut, well okay something ugly that passes gas a lot.

droid
rocketman

Reged: 08/29/04

Loc: Conneaut, Ohio
      #5536472 - 11/23/12 11:48 PM

One possibility might be a privacy fence along that property line, if she / he cant see you ,he / she might loose interest in you. In the video you can see the dog running up and down the fence trying to keep you in line of sight.

derangedhermit
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 10/07/09

Loc: USA
      #5536769 - 11/24/12 08:12 AM

I've been putting up with the dog across the back fence barking for 18 months. They bark constantly when I'm in the back yard. Actually there are two of the little things. I really like dogs. I tried to make friends. I gave them dog biscuits. They kept barking. I tried telling them to be quiet. No go. The last two weeks I have kept a garden hose attached to a spray nozzle and left the water on at the faucet. They bark, they get sprayed. If this fails, I'm calling the city to get them involved.

MikeBOKC
Post Laureate

Reged: 05/10/10

Loc: Oklahoma City, OK
Re: Neighbor's Annoying Dog new [Re: derangedhermit]
      #5536915 - 11/24/12 09:43 AM

I guess there is a benefot in being deaf as a post. Whenever noises annoy me I just push the little mute button on my hearing aids . . . HUH? WHAT??

FirstSight
Duke of Deneb

Reged: 12/26/05

Loc: Raleigh, NC
Re: Neighbor's Annoying Dog new [Re: MikeBOKC]
      #5536941 - 11/24/12 10:01 AM

Have you tried wearing noise-cancelling headphones, possibly together with playing some observing-compatible music from e.g. an IPod? It might kill two birds with one stone in that: a) you'll be deaf as a post to the dogs; b) you other neighbors won't, and sooner or later those dogs continuously barking for 2,3, or even 4 hours during your observing sessions will induce one or more of them to complain to police about the dogs (and i.e. absolving you of being the one to call authorities against your neighbor).

Pinbout
Postmaster

Reged: 02/22/10

Loc: nj
Re: Neighbor's Annoying Dog new [Re: MikeBOKC]
      #5536960 - 11/24/12 10:12 AM

Quote:

I guess there is a benefot in being deaf as a post. Whenever noises annoy me I just push the little mute button on my hearing aids . . . HUH? WHAT??

Hey that would be good for someone else...

me "Honey, I going out."

her "you said YOU WOULD SPEND TIME WITH ME!!!"

me "Huh, what, did you say something? My battery must be dead."

evil16v

Reged: 08/18/12

Loc: N.E. Kansas
Re: Neighbor's Annoying Dog new [Re: FirstSight]
      #5537000 - 11/24/12 10:44 AM

Here its comes --- idea/comment number 45,573 .... LOL!!

I understand not wanting to pester the poor old lady (especially with what she is going through).

I think any mischief/action against the dog will make the problem worse in several different ways, and is just wrong anyway.

I think small dogs are a real pain in the butt. I had a Chocolate lab that was pretty high strung in his early years, but was GREAT about not barking unless there was something going on that i needed to know about(or wanted to be with me). When he barked... I came and found out why.

I have a neighbor that has too many dogs and it really annoys me when i am out back tending to my smoker(i can't really observe in my backyard). I have other neighbors that have dealt with them, and kind of taken care of the problem for the most part. So they wore the black hat for me.

A solution for your particular situation? If you make your yard accessible to the pup, does that let him out (i.e. is your yard fenced in too?) If not, Just make an observing buddy out of the dog. I bet she wouldn't mind if you asked her nicely. Maybe not exactly what you want to do/should have have to do... but maybe the most peaceful/happy way to go about it. I think the dog would be quite at that point.

BigC
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/29/10

Loc: SE Indiana
Re: Neighbor's Annoying Dog new [Re: rdandrea]
      #5537037 - 11/24/12 11:01 AM

Actually,it might be prudent to have the dog owner's permission before offering and food or treats. Being sued for making Cassie ill or dead ,even if the treat had nothing to do with the problem,would really ruin your day!

csa/montana
Den Mama

Reged: 05/14/05

Loc: montana
Re: Neighbor's Annoying Dog new [Re: BigC]
      #5537071 - 11/24/12 11:19 AM

Quote:

Actually,it might be prudent to have the dog owner's permission before offering and food or treats. Being sued for making Cassie ill or dead ,even if the treat had nothing to do with the problem,would really ruin your day!

They could have health problems that others are not aware of.

Daniel Guzas
professor emeritus

Reged: 11/20/10

Loc: Bethlehem NH/ Boston MA
Re: Neighbor's Annoying Dog new [Re: droid]
      #5537149 - 11/24/12 12:08 PM

Quote:

One possibility might be a privacy fence along that property line, if she / he cant see you ,he / she might loose interest in you. In the video you can see the dog running up and down the fence trying to keep you in line of sight.

That is a great idea! Is there some way you could afford some sort of privacy fence? Or will just the noise of you being our there start the barking? Judging from the size of the dog the fence does not have to be too high. But if you are going to do it. Might as well make it high enough so it can see you from across the yard.

cheapersleeper
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/22/10

Loc: Sachse TX
Re: Neighbor's Annoying Dog new [Re: Daniel Guzas]
      #5537176 - 11/24/12 12:26 PM

I have never noticed privacy fences having any effect on barking dogs. They can hear and smell and get a glimpse...that is plenty for them to bark at.

MawkHawk
sage

Reged: 08/23/09

Loc: SE Michigan, USA
Re: Neighbor's Annoying Dog new [Re: cheapersleeper]
      #5537330 - 11/24/12 02:39 PM

I would never pay hundreds of dollars to build a fence to shut up a dog belonging to someone else. It is the neighbor's responsibility to either keep the dog quiet or keep it indoors. If they don't then that's when you call the police. I've had to deal with barking dogs a few times in my life and each time it only ended when the police took care of it. People who allow their dogs to bark and disturb the entire neighborhood generally don't care what you think about it.

FWIW tho, that guy initially looked like he was happy to see you. I've noticed that dogs make that little whining noise when they want to see you. He prolly gets no attention from his owner...

Edited by MawkHawk (11/24/12 02:45 PM)

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)

Extra information
6 registered and 12 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  cildarith, panhard, tecmage 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5911

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics