Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

General Astronomy >> General Observing and Astronomy

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)
cheapersleeper
Post Laureate

Reged: 01/22/10

Loc: Sachse TX
Re: Neighbor's Annoying Dog new [Re: MikeBOKC]
      #5537334 - 11/24/12 02:42 PM

Quote:

I guess there is a benefot in being deaf as a post. Whenever noises annoy me I just push the little muIte button on my hearing aids . . . HUH? WHAT??

Twenty bucks says I am deafer!! I too would tune out that dog.

Brad

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
bremms
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 08/31/12

Loc: SC
Re: Neighbor's Annoying Dog new [Re: cheapersleeper]
      #5537388 - 11/24/12 03:27 PM

Go to her door and talk to her. Ask her to keep the dog in if it won't be quiet. If hat doesn't work, call the proper authorities. You have rights. Just because someone has a dog that doesn't mean they can let the dog bark all the time or *BLEEP* in everybody's yard. What is up with all these crazy answers? Go talk to her... if that doesn't solve the problem. Take more action. You DO NOT have to put up with that.

csrlice12
Postmaster

Reged: 05/22/12

Loc: Denver, CO
Re: Neighbor's Annoying Dog new [Re: bremms]
      #5537413 - 11/24/12 03:43 PM

True, put the problem where it lies, with the owner of the dog. YOU and your telescope are not the problem; her letting her dog bark incessently is....Also, I don't blame the dog; he will only do what he was taught/allowed to do...

Qwickdraw
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/03/12

Loc: Ann Arbor, MI
Re: Neighbor's Annoying Dog new [Re: bremms]
      #5537418 - 11/24/12 03:44 PM

That garbage can next to the lil yapper looks very convenient.

tecmageModerator
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/13/10

Loc: Glenview, IL
Re: Neighbor's Annoying Dog new [Re: Qwickdraw]
      #5537475 - 11/24/12 04:19 PM

Quote:

And what would you do with that can- that could be described within the bounds of CN's Terms of Service?

Hey folks, doing anything to a neighbor's pet or property is inviting trouble. While it might be inconvenient, I think working with the neighbor is the best way of dealing with the problem. Cesar Milan (the Dog Whisperer) has some good books and videos for training a dog.

5u4

Reged: 04/27/06

Loc: FL
Re: Neighbor's Annoying Dog new [Re: tecmage]
      #5537546 - 11/24/12 05:07 PM

I've had my share of neighbor's barking dogs, porch lights that stay on all night, kids traipsing through my yard, etc. to the point that my house was no longer a home. I wouldn't call the police, all that does is now you're on record as a complainer & they will use that against you. The last thing I'd do is waste all your spare time thinking of ways to kiss the neighbors behind & expect results, never worked for me anyway. Do what I did, save some money & look for a place in the country as far away from neighbors as you can afford.

csrlice12
Postmaster

Re: Neighbor's Annoying Dog new [Re: 5u4]
      #5537560 - 11/24/12 05:15 PM

There's some true wisdom there 5u4.

Only problem is then they try to tell you you're too old to be living out there alone like that....little knowing it's really a very peaceful life.

5u4

Reged: 04/27/06

Loc: FL
Re: Neighbor's Annoying Dog new [Re: csrlice12]
      #5537612 - 11/24/12 06:00 PM

Much more peaceful in the country. Still have barking dogs, but they're far enough away that it doesn't matter & kids running around on 4 wheeler's, but at least they're not right next door & there's a black bear that growls all the time, never seen him, but he's there. Yeah, been there done that with barking dogs, porch lights & unruly kids. I have a fix for the barking dog, but not going to go there on this forum. Porch lights on all night, well good luck to you & unruly kids, what happens is they pay you back.

orion61

Reged: 10/20/07

Loc: Birthplace James T Kirk
Re: Neighbor's Annoying Dog new [Re: caheaton]
      #5537747 - 11/24/12 07:40 PM

The reason dogs keep barking is because of the protective nature but as the Post Man comes they start barking, the Postman goes to the next house, so the dog thinks it has won! bad person has been chased away! Reinforces the barking.
But Sometimes old people can be well, just plain MEAN!
I had a dog issue when I worked Nights, my neighbor would put out the dog before going to work and leave it.
It barked all! day! long!
A note in the mailbox stating I'd rather let her deal with the issue than the Police, took care of the matter.

Pinbout
Postmaster

Reged: 02/22/10

Loc: nj
Re: Neighbor's Annoying Dog new [Re: MawkHawk]
      #5537904 - 11/24/12 09:49 PM

Quote:

FWIW tho, that guy initially looked like he was happy to see you. I've noticed that dogs make that little whining noise when they want to see you. He prolly gets no attention from his owner...

yep. and yep.

he wants to hang with the guys, but his mom won't let him.

Too bad Cassie, now stop annoying me! go annoy your mom!

izar187
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/02/06

Loc: 43N
Re: Neighbor's Annoying Dog new [Re: 5u4]
      #5538097 - 11/25/12 12:22 AM

Quote:

Much more peaceful in the country.

Absolutely!
I will add though that it isn't necessary to move to the country to observe under rural sky. Time spent finding nearby, quiet, open, anything darker(simply without blazing security lighting mere feet away) is some of the best time investment there is. Neighbors dogs are just a part of the total load of intrusive garbage that compelled me to observe elsewhere. It is one of the best astro decisions I made. For me. Solved a ton of frustrations, and greatly increased what I see.

For the original poster, the privacy fence option sounded like winner to me. Until folks mentioned that it may not help. If you say, open a gate between the yards so the dog can be with you observing, then you will get to clean up after the dog...

planet earth
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/07/10

Loc: Ontario Canada
Re: Neighbor's Annoying Dog new [Re: Pinbout]
      #5538305 - 11/25/12 06:01 AM

This whole doggy problem resulted because you never marked your territory at the fence line on a routine basis.
Sam

Qwickdraw
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/03/12

Loc: Ann Arbor, MI
Re: Neighbor's Annoying Dog new [Re: tecmage]
      #5538318 - 11/25/12 07:02 AM

Quote:

Quote:

And what would you do with that can- that could be described within the bounds of CN's Terms of Service?

Obviously picking up trash around the yard comes to mind.

MawkHawk
sage

Reged: 08/23/09

Loc: SE Michigan, USA
Re: Neighbor's Annoying Dog new [Re: Qwickdraw]
      #5538446 - 11/25/12 09:49 AM

I've called the police before about a neighbor's dog and asked to remain anonymous. They obliged me and ticketed the neighbor. They won't rat you out if you ask them not to.

Scanning4Comets
Markus

Reged: 12/26/04

Loc: Ontario, Canada
      #5538573 - 11/25/12 11:37 AM

Quote:

"I know her and the little @$##$ thing quite well"

Part of the reason it barks more. Dogs can sense hatred, it's letting you know it doesn't understand you're hatred, it's why he's barking at you....He's actually trying to understand you; if you have ever really been around animals, you would understand him.....any dog or cat owner knows what I'm talking about.

Hogwash. Some dogs bark more than others. It has nothing to do with the dog sensing "hatred". Did you even watch the video Pinbout did? he's petting the dog I go to my better half's in laws for dinners and they always have relatives who bring this little black poodle along. It constantly yaps all of the time even when anybody pets it, including myself. The other dogs that are there do not yap like it does, so this also proves you are incorrect. Some dogs bark more than others.

Quote:

One possibility might be a privacy fence along that property line, if she / he cant see you ,he / she might loose interest in you. In the video you can see the dog running up and down the fence trying to keep you in line of sight.

This would do nothing, LOL! Animals have really good hearing and can sense things in their surroundings....and in a wider sense than humans have. The dog would hear him even if the fence was completely solid and the dog couldn't see him.

I agree with Pinbout, I love "some" animals, (The non-aggressive type), but this would drive me crazy. I would take action right away, (harmless action of course), to stop this because by law, people are entitled to peace on their own property, even if it means a noise by-law of some sort. I'm not a lawyer or have experience on this type of noise by-law, so I won't even start making suggestions.

Google it and see what you come up with, or call the police and ask what can be done.

Cheers,

BigC
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/29/10

Loc: SE Indiana
      #5538678 - 11/25/12 12:41 PM

As I stated before,the dog OWNER is entirely the problem;she is treating the dog like an animate burglar alarm NOT as a living social animal that needs love and attention.The widow has the wrong dog for the wrong reasons;and probably shouldn't have any dog at all. If one hasn't had dogs or cats for most of one's life it probably means one has no idea how to deal with a pet at age 80.

DON'T build a fence or other useless gestures.As other posters advise ,talk to the widow and maybe her daughters, and make it clear that you wish to remain a friendly neighbor but that you expect to go about your hobby in your yard at your convenience ,and you will call the authorites if the dog owner can't stop the annoyance.

Don't worry about being put on a complainer list;if no one complained the inconsiderate would get away with their bad behavior all the time.I had a neighbor in town who decided he was going to remove all the trees and shrubs on our mutual property line -actually in our yard!I told him no way and insisted on having the line surveyed,then caught him trying to move the stake.On being informed he could go to jail for tampering with survey markers he desisted.Then he put up obnoxiously bright floodlights .Thankfully he moved within a year after becoming known to all around as a bad neighbor.(Loud domestic arguments included).Push back against those who invade.

mich_al
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/10/09

Loc: Rural central lower Michigan ...
Re: Neighbor's Annoying Dog new [Re: BigC]
      #5538704 - 11/25/12 12:58 PM

Quote:

... or call the police and ask what can be done.

Better yet contact the local township office and see what the noise ordinances are. Get a copy. In my case, 2 separate responding officers where not knowledgeable about local ordinances AND actually gave me wrong information. Later, with a copy of the ordinaces in hand that I provided, the ordinance was enforced.

Al

BarbMoore
sage

Reged: 05/11/09

Loc: South central New Mexico
Re: Neighbor's Annoying Dog new [Re: derangedhermit]
      #5538743 - 11/25/12 01:38 PM

Spraying the dog with water or any substance will only get you in trouble with the law.

Scanning4Comets
Markus

Reged: 12/26/04

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Re: Neighbor's Annoying Dog new [Re: BarbMoore]
      #5538850 - 11/25/12 02:29 PM

Water? Water won't harm the dog as long as the spraying device is not powerful as to harm it. That actually might make the dog more aggressive if you do that though,

Or, it might like the water and want to play !!! LOL !

csrlice12
Postmaster

Re: Neighbor's Annoying Dog new [Re: Scanning4Comets]
      #5539016 - 11/25/12 04:02 PM

Like I said earlier--PUT THE PROBLEM WHERE IT LIES, with the owner of the dog...the barking dog is hers to correct; or if she doesn't, the city/county's to remove. Barking is a nuisance, but the dog has to be taught not to bark, if the owner isn't up to it, they shouldn't have a dog...maybe recommend a cat.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)

Extra information
13 registered and 15 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  cildarith, panhard, tecmage 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6046

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics