Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

General Astronomy >> General Observing and Astronomy

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
roscoe
curmudgeon

Reged: 02/04/09

Loc: NW Mass, inches from VT
Re: What Are YOUR Conditions Required for Observing new [Re: Carl Kolchak]
      #5577693 - 12/18/12 06:12 PM

I'm on a farm in the green zone, so every night involves eyeball observing while walking the dog, and often I come in at the end of our 1/2 mile walk to grab my binocs. With my new observatory on hold till spring (but at least the concrete's in!!) the big scope only comes out to play a few times a month, as it has to be set up and taken down each time, so I wait for nights with little moonglow and stable atmosphere. My occasional field trips (about an hour each way) lately involve setting my scope up about 25 feet from Barry's camper......

Russ

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
BigC
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/29/10

Loc: SE Indiana
Re: What Are YOUR Conditions Required for Observing new [Re: roscoe]
      #5578281 - 12/19/12 01:38 AM

Rural location here.

It shouldn't be raining,snowing,clouded over completely,too cold, and I need to not be too tired or have extended workday ahead.

Sky looks great now;I'm going to bed.See above.

Bill Weir
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 06/01/04

Loc: Metchosin (Victoria), Canada
Re: What Are YOUR Conditions Required for Observing new [Re: BigC]
      #5578295 - 12/19/12 02:00 AM

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/7145200?source=wapi&referrer=kh.google.com
I setup my 20" on a little pad in front of that dome. Inside that dome is the 25" in my signature. This observatory is just a 5 minute drive from my home. My backyard is actually darker because it doesn't have that marina to deal with but it also doesn't have the beautiful unobstructed view to the south. I'm viewing right over top of the Olympic Mountains in Washington State. If the Moon isn't out I can usually be found there.

Bill

fvandrog

Reged: 09/07/12

Re: What Are YOUR Conditions Required for Observing new [Re: Bill Weir]
      #5578363 - 12/19/12 04:00 AM

Considering we've had three cloudless and fogless nights the last six weeks, I am not very picky with regards to the moon. Actually, the moon does make an interesting target even if there is some fog, as does Jupiter -- no need to bother with filters

So, basically acceptable conditions for observing are any conditions where something is visible.

F.

csa/montana
Den Mama

Reged: 05/14/05

Loc: montana
Re: What Are YOUR Conditions Required for Observing new [Re: BigC]
      #5578796 - 12/19/12 11:45 AM

Quote:

Rural location here.

It shouldn't be raining,snowing,clouded over completely,too cold,

This fits my observing conditions, exactly!

Seldom
professor emeritus

Reged: 08/05/12

Loc: N of Cedar City Light Dome
Re: What Are YOUR Conditions Required for Observing new [Re: csa/montana]
      #5578814 - 12/19/12 12:00 PM

Too cold? It just got done snowing here. 5 or 6 days of no stars at all. Beautifully clear this morning, and 3 degrees F. How cold is too cold? Moonset's at 12:42 tomorrow morning.

Starman81
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/06/08

Loc: Metro Detroit, MI, USA
Re: What Are YOUR Conditions Required for Observing new [Re: Seldom]
      #5578845 - 12/19/12 12:38 PM

Quote:

Too cold? It just got done snowing here. 5 or 6 days of no stars at all. Beautifully clear this morning, and 3 degrees F. How cold is too cold? Moonset's at 12:42 tomorrow morning.

Even more than the cold itself, wind is the KILLER. If it is 20s with NO WIND, I can outfit myself just fine to deal with that (uhhh 3 degrees? no thanks lol). About a month or so back, it was in the upper 40s but there a constant 10-15mph wind that did not abate for the 2+ hours I was out. Safe to say that was the main reason I ended up getting sick.

csa/montana
Den Mama

Reged: 05/14/05

Loc: montana
Re: What Are YOUR Conditions Required for Observing new [Re: Seldom]
      #5578851 - 12/19/12 12:45 PM

Quote:

Too cold?

Each has to determine what is too cold for them. During the meteor showers last week; I sat out on the deck, pretty well motionless, for 6 hours, with temps dropping to 10 degrees.

kenrenard
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/13/12

Loc: Dunmore, PA
Re: What Are YOUR Conditions Required for Observing new [Re: csa/montana]
      #5578949 - 12/19/12 01:38 PM

I would like at least to get some clearing in the clouds. Here in Northeast PA we seem to be always cloudy or raining. I got about 10 minutes of clear skies before having to head off to work.

Other than that I try to get out anytime I can see something. I rather the cold then the bugs biting of the hot summer nights.

mountain monk
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/06/09

Loc: Grand Teton National Park
Re: What Are YOUR Conditions Required for Observing new [Re: kenrenard]
      #5579086 - 12/19/12 02:52 PM

Cold? I go down to 32 without gloves. Zero is fine. Colder than that and I require a very good night. My record is minus 17. Definitely not fun, but doable.

Dark skies.

Jack

Alan Grant

Reged: 04/20/10

Loc: Deseret Territory
Re: What Are YOUR Conditions Required for Observing new [Re: JayinUT]
      #5579455 - 12/19/12 07:19 PM

Going to a superb dark sky site only an hour from home seems to leave backyard gazing rather mundane. But strangely some of my best nights are from my semi rural backyard, the faintest object I've recorded is from my backyard. The objects have more 'pop', detail and beauty from the dark sky site but it's got to be a near moon night for me to go.
On another note Jay, I see the State stirring things up again about moving the prison which could totaly blow our dark sky site FR006.

Feidb
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 10/09/09

Loc: Nevada
Re: What Are YOUR Conditions Required for Observing new [Re: Alan Grant]
      #5580334 - 12/20/12 10:02 AM

Cold doesn't do it for me. If there's the slightest breeze, my eye waters and I can't see anyway. The gig's up. Besides, much below 50 degrees, my laser pointer doesn't work so that means using the 50mm finder. Neck cramps. However, that doesn't mean I don't get out in the winter. After all, I live in Las Vegas...

BigC
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/29/10

Loc: SE Indiana
Re: What Are YOUR Conditions Required for Observing new [Re: mountain monk]
      #5580899 - 12/20/12 03:24 PM

My fingers begin to HURT at freezing or below without gloves,ad do my nose and toes.(Good possibilty I experienced mild frostbite a number of times as a child).I really dislike the cold. Sure the clearest skies have been with crunchy,sparkling snow in below teens weather-and I want to be inside or at least WARM!

Probably haven't observed (versus quick bino scan) any colder than 20 above.My farm is usually 8 to 10 degrees colder in winter than Cincinnati.This small valley is a cold auir trap.

roscoe
curmudgeon

Reged: 02/04/09

Loc: NW Mass, inches from VT
Re: What Are YOUR Conditions Required for Observing new [Re: mountain monk]
      #5581135 - 12/20/12 05:33 PM

Quote:

Cold? I go down to 32 without gloves. Zero is fine. Colder than that and I require a very good night. My record is minus 17. Definitely not fun, but doable.

Yep, that's a problem......the really spectacular winter skies are often the coldest.... I'll bring the binocs out into negative numbers, but rarely set the scope up if it's that cold, unless I've got triple-dark-blues on my local clear sky clock.
Russ

JayinUT
I'm not Sleepy

Reged: 09/19/08

Loc: Utah
Re: What Are YOUR Conditions Required for Observing new [Re: Alan Grant]
      #5581145 - 12/20/12 05:37 PM

The prison site is where 36 and 73 meet just south of Tooele, north of the current depot. Tooele Co. planning commission wants it closer to Tooele than the Rush Valley site. In the end, it could go north to Box Elder and that is IF everything comes together. I'm not sure now is the time to move the prison, we'll see what happens.

Starman1
Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

Reged: 06/24/03

Loc: Los Angeles
      #5581231 - 12/20/12 06:31 PM

Quote:

When I first got into the hobby I would observe at any stage of the lunar cycle except for full moon. I learned over time to adjust what objects I went after depending on the cycle of the moon. My observing was mainly done in the backyard and in terms of conditions, as stated, I would observe during most phases of the moon, and I would go out in somewhat questionable cloudy conditions. I would never go out during rain or snow though (of course).

Then I discovered the wonders of observing at a dark site and the vast majority of my observing now moved to dark site locations. My backyard observing became lunar and double star with some open clusters observing. The rest I kept for dark site locations. I still went to my dark sites even with cloud cover.

As time went on I began to be more particular, more picking about when I would go out. To drive 45 minutes to an hour and a half to some very dark sites and set up and observe, I usually now want good transparency and good seeing or better. I won't go if it looks too cloudy and find that even for setting up in the backyard, requires good or better than good conditions.

So, the question I poise is what conditions are necessary for you to drive to a dark site to observe and what conditions are necessary for you to observe from your backyard? Is there a difference?

Backyard? Clear skies, no clouds, low wind speeds. Usually an hour or two and city targets only (moon, planets, double stars, carbon stars, asterisms).
Dark site? Clear skies all night, no clouds of any kind, low wind speeds, no moon during dark hours all night, above average to excellent transparency, preferably a weekend night. If my site 100 miles away doesn't have this but my site 200 miles away does, I'll drive the 200 miles.

No temperature requirements. I have the clothing for below zero to stay out all night.
No seeing requirements, but I prefer better to poorer seeing.

csrlice12
Postmaster

Reged: 05/22/12

Loc: Denver, CO
Re: What Are YOUR Conditions Required for Observing new [Re: Starman1]
      #5582187 - 12/21/12 10:03 AM

All I remember is that at -40*f, they took the patrol dogs in....and left us out there walking around those Buffs

galexand
sage

Reged: 07/10/12

Loc: Bloomington Indiana
      #5583502 - 12/22/12 01:41 AM

I prefer it dark, but I've been known to do it in the day too if the moon's up.

kfiscus
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 07/09/12

Loc: Albert Lea, MN, USA
Re: What Are YOUR Conditions Required for Observing new [Re: galexand]
      #5583524 - 12/22/12 02:14 AM

Kids in bed, wife happy, no moonlight...

NeilMac
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/25/10

Loc: MedHat, AB, Canada
Re: What Are YOUR Conditions Required for Observing [Re: kfiscus]
      #5583925 - 12/22/12 11:35 AM

I take what I can get, clear skies are rare

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
3 registered and 13 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  cildarith, panhard, tecmage 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2845

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics