Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu uh, User

General Astronomy >> General Observing and Astronomy

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Jon Isaacs
Postmaster

Reged: 06/16/04

Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA
Re: Very cheap land in dark sky areas new [Re: Skooter]
      #5614053 - 01/09/13 04:40 PM

Quote:

True. We're thinking Kingman area (at a lower elevation)might be the best compromise for an actual place to live in semi-retirement...and still within an hour or two of truely dark skies, solitude, favorable weather, and wide open spaces.

Kingman is pretty nice but it does get quite windy and it is a good sized city. Silver City, New Mexico is pretty sweet. It gets cold, it gets warm but it is very often clear and dark skies are not far at all. It's very similar to Prescott and Flagstaff in terms of altitude but as of yet, it has not been discovered.

Jon

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
tedbnh
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 11/14/07

Loc: New Hampshire
Re: Very cheap land in dark sky areas new [Re: Jon Isaacs]
      #5615158 - 01/10/13 10:02 AM

Have you looked into the Granite Gap development south of Lordsburg, NM? If you are in a hurry it might not be the place for you (my observatory has been a slab of concrete for more than a year) but you could not ask for a better community of fellow observers, upwards of 50 now. Progress is being made. (Disclosure - I have a standard lease on 1/4 acre and an observatory under construction at GG.) There's a yahoo group called GraniteGap for more information. Great skies and nice people. I like the vibe. I've visited 3 times and am storing my 18.5" Starmaster out there until my observatory is complete. Last February's week of observing was the best of my life, although it's a bit of a hike from New Hampshire. :-) Glad to answer any questions offline.

Mr. Bill
Postmaster

Reged: 02/09/05

Loc: Northeastern Cal
Re: Very cheap land in dark sky areas new [Re: tedbnh]
      #5615910 - 01/10/13 05:15 PM

I bought the GG 6 month RV site 99 year lease and 1/4 acre for a future observatory with the option to make it a 12 month RV site lease and put a permanent trailer. This would have electrical, water, sewage, and internet hookups.

Seems like a great value for the money, solves the security issues, has light restrictions in place, and lots of potential for an astronomy community.

HellsKitchen
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 09/05/08

Loc: Melbourne Australia
Re: Very cheap land in dark sky areas new [Re: Mr. Bill]
      #5998322 - 07/30/13 12:23 PM

I just happened to jump on the real estate websites today and found a land that costs barely more than my SDM!

There is a 1720 sq meter property going for $4800 in a remote NSW town called Nymagee. This town has a population of 103, and lookng on Google Earth, there is all of 20 buildings along the main street. The next biggest town, Cobar (population 5200) is 75km away as the crow flies. The place is accessible from Melbourne by paved roads so no worries about bouncing along washboard dirt. The skies here cannot be anything but full on black zone. Straight line distance to Sydney is 500km and to Melbourne 660km.

It is a long drive, but not out of the realms of a weekend. If anything, the remoteness means you can floor it without having to worry about cops

FJA
Sketcher Extraordinaire

Reged: 11/17/04

Loc: 50.65° N, 1.15° W
Re: Very cheap land in dark sky areas new [Re: HellsKitchen]
      #5998343 - 07/30/13 12:34 PM

Quote:

I just happened to jump on the real estate websites today and found a land that costs barely more than my SDM!

There is a 1720 sq meter property going for $4800 in a remote NSW town called Nymagee. This town has a population of 103, and lookng on Google Earth, there is all of 20 buildings along the main street. The next biggest town, Cobar (population 5200) is 75km away as the crow flies. The place is accessible from Melbourne by paved roads so no worries about bouncing along washboard dirt. The skies here cannot be anything but full on black zone. Straight line distance to Sydney is 500km and to Melbourne 660km.

It is a long drive, but not out of the realms of a weekend. If anything, the remoteness means you can floor it without having to worry about cops

Good luck with it if you decide to do it! I wish I could do that and, if I ever win a large sum of dosh on the lottery I am buying land in a remote, arid area and moving away from here! Win the lottery and I AM GONE FROM HERE!

HellsKitchen
Pooh-Bah

Re: Very cheap land in dark sky areas new [Re: FJA]
      #5998369 - 07/30/13 12:50 PM

Thanks Faith! For that price, I am darn well tempted, this lot is 75km from the nearest population center of Cobar which is only 5200, the nearest 10,000+ town is Dubbo (33,000), 215km away. The skies here cannot be anything than pure black zone. Looking up the weather data for the nearest station ( Cobar), mean rainfall is 349mm (14"), mean no of rain days (>0.2mm) is 67.3, mean number of clear days 158.9 and average annual sunshine hours is 9.0 per day.

Tony Flanders
Postmaster

Reged: 05/18/06

Loc: Cambridge, MA, USA
      #5998423 - 07/30/13 01:12 PM

Quote:

There is a 1720 sq meter property going for $4800 in a remote NSW town called Nymagee. This town has a population of 103, and lookng on Google Earth, there is all of 20 buildings along the main street.

1720 square meters is minuscule; it means that your nearest neighbors could be just 30 meters away. If your neighbors on both sides have bright porch lights, being in the black zone won't help you one little bit.

However, it should also be easy to find a good spot not too far from town where you don't have to worry about nearby lights.

Ed Wiley
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 05/18/05

Loc: Kansas, USA
Re: Very cheap land in dark sky areas new [Re: Tony Flanders]
      #5999091 - 07/30/13 08:50 PM

I went in the opposite direction and have an observatory in my backyard under (at best) mag 4ish skies. I simply pick projects that I can do, imaging and measuring variable stars and double stars. No end to the projects that do not depend on really dark skies, even including spectrometry if I wished. This puts me in the observatory in 5 minutes anytime I wish when skies are clear.

But, I do love dark skies, and am lucky to belong to a club with a dark sky site (ASKC) about 60 miles south of Kansas City. And I am a regular attendee of the TSP and Okie-Tex. Between the ASKC site and two star parties I get all the dark sky experience I need each year without pain or desire of ownership.

Ed

GeneT
Ely Kid

Reged: 11/07/08

Loc: South Texas
      #5999158 - 07/30/13 09:33 PM

Quote:

Why sweat over finding ideal public sites when I can have my own private land for peanuts, in a dry arid location to boot

This was once my dream. Doubt now that I will ever have a truly dark site.

bunyon
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/23/10

Loc: Winston-Salem, NC
Re: Very cheap land in dark sky areas new [Re: GeneT]
      #5999715 - 07/31/13 09:20 AM

I just want to echo Tony's comments. Buying land in a town seems a really bad way to get dark skies. 103 people can make a lot of light if they put their mind to it. If there aren't local light ordinances (against a lot of light, not for a lot of light), I would not buy land in a small town with the hope of observing from there. If you just want to live closer to dark skies but not completely isolated, then, sure, it might be a nice little village to move to.

I grew up in a town of about 800 and in the 70s, it was fairly dark. I've been back in the last few years and town is not, by any means, dark. It's obviously darker than the city of 200K I live in now but local lights are bad and there are a couple of businesses with all-night lighting. 15 miles out of town, over the hill, is excellent. But in town would not be a good place to move for observing.

HellsKitchen
Pooh-Bah

Re: Very cheap land in dark sky areas new [Re: bunyon]
      #5999817 - 07/31/13 10:33 AM

Quote:

I just want to echo Tony's comments. Buying land in a town seems a really bad way to get dark skies. 103 people can make a lot of light if they put their mind to it. If there aren't local light ordinances (against a lot of light, not for a lot of light), I would not buy land in a small town with the hope of observing from there. If you just want to live closer to dark skies but not completely isolated, then, sure, it might be a nice little village to move to.

I grew up in a town of about 800 and in the 70s, it was fairly dark. I've been back in the last few years and town is not, by any means, dark. It's obviously darker than the city of 200K I live in now but local lights are bad and there are a couple of businesses with all-night lighting. 15 miles out of town, over the hill, is excellent. But in town would not be a good place to move for observing.

This "town" consists of this:

I don't actually know exactly where the block is situated, I'll have to call the agent to find that out. If it's anywhere away from this tiny collection of buildings, then it's a winner. Only worry is the long drive, but that's what long weekends and sick days are for It is after all only $4800 for a black-zone property in a semi-arid climate with 158 clear days per year... and Australia is notorious for its high real estate prices....

Another place I'm looking at is Mt Hope in NSW, not far from the above location but slightly closer to me. The place basically consists of 10 buildings. There are 2 blocks for sale @ $3900 each, the real estate site says "2 blocks in total at 2300 sq meters, don't know if that means each block is 2300m sq, or if both combined. If it's the former, that is a good price.

Edited by HellsKitchen (07/31/13 11:04 AM)

LoveChina61
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 06/20/09

#6036410 - 08/20/13 12:34 PM

I am on the lookout for a nice retirement place with good skies as well. I am torn between trying to find a truly dark site to settle in (sounds lonely), versus being on the outskirts of a fairly dark area yet still with reasonable access to the anemities of a bigger city. I might just end up purchasing a piece of residential property in southeast Phoenix like Queens Creek. I would still be in the suburbs but could dimly see the Milky Way at night and would get a lot of use out of a backyard observatory. My wife would be happy to still be near the big city, yet 1/2 drive to the east would put me at Picket Post where the skies are pretty phenomenal (except back towards the west where Phoenix is). An hour or two drive in most any direction would put you in very dark skies.

Arizona, here I come!

csrlice12
Postmaster

Reged: 05/22/12

Loc: Denver, CO
Re: Very cheap land in dark sky areas new [Re: LoveChina61]
      #6036421 - 08/20/13 12:41 PM

Be warned that vast swatchs of AZ are subject to very windy conditions that blow all that sand/dust at near hurricaine speeds...........and they come up quickly, almost without notice.......

Seldom
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 08/05/12

Loc: N of Cedar City Light Dome
Re: Very cheap land in dark sky areas new [Re: csrlice12]
      #6036444 - 08/20/13 12:50 PM

Quote:

Be warned that vast swatchs of AZ are subject to very windy conditions that blow all that sand/dust at near hurricaine speeds...........and they come up quickly, almost without notice.......

Same here. Blew the cups off my anemometer twice.

dpippel
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 04/05/13

Loc: Desierto de Sonora
      #6036509 - 08/20/13 01:23 PM

Quote:

Well, it's really not THAT bad here...

Tom Polakis
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/20/04

Loc: Tempe, Arizona
      #6036683 - 08/20/13 02:47 PM

Quote:

It sounds like you are referring to a period during summer than lasts about 10 weeks, when the conditions are so cloudy that you would not be observing anyway. The other 40-plus weeks are generally calm, and particularly so at night.

Tom

ADW

Reged: 07/26/13

Loc: Penticton, BC, Canada
Re: Very cheap land in dark sky areas new [Re: bunyon]
      #6037030 - 08/20/13 06:05 PM

I (a Canadian) wanted to retire in Arizona or New Mexico in a high altitude astronomy village, but my American wife flatly refused to leave British Columbia's almost free and very good medical system which she has been a major user of during the 39 years since she married me and moved to Canada. So we looked for the darkest available skies in British Columbia's semi-arid southern Okanagan Valley. We have just one-quarter acre in the village of Skaha Estates, only 10km south of the small city of Penticton (area population about 50,000). Skaha Estates voted to be streetlight-free in a referendum decades ago, because the citizens recognized that the night sky was a part of nature, just like the over-abundant deer. My neighbours all know that I have an observatory and are very considerate with their lighting.

The zodiacal light is instantly visible in January through March as soon as I step out onto my deck, without any dark adaption needed. The Gegenschein is occasionally visible in October. My sky has gotten darker during the 16 years that we have lived here! The Weyerhauser sawmill shut down in the village of Okanagan Falls and now I can occasionally see the faint zodiacal band that lies between the Gegenschein and the bright zodiacal light. My neighbours do have lights spilling out of their living room windows and porch lights in the evening, but this is a retirement community and almost everybody is in bed with their lights off by 11pm. I do almost all of my deep-sky observing after midnight, when my neighbours's lights usually are all off.

The classic observatory is on a hilltop, but that exposes you to distant lights in the line of sight. I am down on the valley floor below nearby low ridges and that and dense cedar hedges and grape vines protect me from distant lights. My observatory walls finish the job.

Certainly there are nights when there are too many lights on in the neighborhood to do serious observing, but I get enough opportunities that most of my Sky&Tel articles result from my backyard observatory's equatorially-mounted 16-inch located on the valley floor across the street from Skaha Lake.

I know that I have been lucky, but careful study before we bought has worked out very well for me. Darker sites are available in the nearby mountains, but I really appreciate not having to drive home late at night.

Alan Whitman

Illinois
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/18/06

Loc: near Dixon, Illinois USA
Re: Very cheap land in dark sky areas new [Re: ADW]
      #6037841 - 08/21/13 07:59 AM

Illinois land is very expensive! Upper Michigan land is cheaper but short summer and nothing much there unless you love woods and ski in winter. My wife and I don't want live there and too far from Chicago. Nice place for vacation. Now I live near Dixon and nice home with one acre. Its 2 hours west of Chicago. Wild open view from East to south and west. Few trees far away. some light pollution is north is Dixon. 15 minutes drive south to Green River state park is green zone. Plan to own observatory or dome in my backyard. Most of vacation is drive to dark sky during no Moon.

Edited by Illinois (08/21/13 08:01 AM)

csrlice12
Postmaster

Reged: 05/22/12

Loc: Denver, CO
Re: Very cheap land in dark sky areas new [Re: Illinois]
      #6038397 - 08/21/13 01:50 PM

Lived in MI, SkeeterWorld!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
7 registered and 17 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  cildarith, panhard, tecmage 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4145

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics