Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green GuÖ uh, User

General Astronomy >> General Observing and Astronomy

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
MessiToM
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 12/21/09

Loc: Huntingdon PA
Re: Fool me once shame on you. Fool me twice....(cloud new [Re: SabiaJD]
      #5606309 - 01/05/13 10:52 AM

Quote:

I have had the same experence a few times using only Clear Sky Chart for sky condition expectations. It is a good reference but should not be your only refernce.

Just today CSC indicated clear skies tonight, so I checked CSC hour by hour predictions for the day and compared it to weather satelite images from RAP.

http://weather.rap.ucar.edu/satellite/

Then I compare both to NOAA Graphic Sky condition forecast.

http://graphical.weather.gov/

Select your region by clicking on the map.

NOAA and CSC were not the same, NOAA indicated clouds rolling in CSC clearing. RAP shows clouds moving in.

Fortunate today I could see the clouds arriving before sunset. Therefore I did not set out traveling to my observing site.

Using all of these tools helps to determine if sky conditions will be good for observing in a short term time period.

They also help you learn your seasonal weather patterns, the amateur astronomer second hobby. Put some trust in your local TV weathermen, follow how accurate they are vs. your own predications.

John D Sabia

Thank you very much. That NOAA site rocks.

YES I need an outdoor storage option, and yes there is a cost other than money Iam finding out.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
MessiToM
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Fool me once shame on you. Fool me twice....(cloud new [Re: MessiToM]
      #5606313 - 01/05/13 10:54 AM

You know last night when it was predicted clear I didnt set up out of spite (plus we weer going to see "The Hobbit") and it was clear! of coarse

NeilMac
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/25/10

Loc: MedHat, AB, Canada
      #5606345 - 01/05/13 11:11 AM

Last nights Typical sight.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8qV-kkIiSY

csrlice12
Postmaster

Reged: 05/22/12

Loc: Denver, CO
Re: Fool me once shame on you. Fool me twice....(cloud new [Re: wky46]
      #5606400 - 01/05/13 11:37 AM

Quote:

Quote:

All I know is that if it's clear out, there'll be something else that needs doing; if it's a night I have free, all the clouds show up to celebrate......

Ain't that the truth! Beautiful clear evening tonight, but...I'm baby sitting 3, 4 and 7 yr. old girls til ten tonight. Maybe then, if only I can muster the strength

Maybe the three year old is too young, but the 4 yo and especially the 7yo....might be a good time to "sink the hook", give'em their first view of Jupiter.....also makes the babysitting thing more tolerable for all of you. Imagine the shock of the parents when their kids all want you as their next babysitter!!!

wky46
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/12/05

Loc: west Ky.
Re: Fool me once shame on you. Fool me twice....(cloud new [Re: csrlice12]
      #5606999 - 01/05/13 05:31 PM

Actually, it's my 3 yr. girl who's very interested, I think she's hooked

galexand
sage

Reged: 07/10/12

Loc: Bloomington Indiana
      #5609945 - 01/07/13 10:57 AM

Yup! !@#$$$#$&^^$ happens to me all the time. That's why I bought a dinky little refractor. I set that thing up, and maybe stare at the bottom of the clouds praying for a sucker hole, and I still don't say "gee I put up a lot of work and waiting for nothing."

drbyyz
sage

Reged: 11/04/12

Re: Fool me once shame on you. Fool me twice....(cloud new [Re: galexand]
      #5611118 - 01/07/13 11:01 PM

This is the story of my life lately. The clear sky forecast failed me yet again tonight. On the other hand, the next 10 days say cloudy...so maybe a pleasant surprise for once?

Raginar
Postmaster

Reged: 10/19/10

Loc: Rapid CIty, SD
Re: Fool me once shame on you. Fool me twice....(cloud new [Re: drbyyz]
      #5611209 - 01/08/13 12:05 AM

Couple things I use as an aviator to predict what the weather is going to be for flying (and observing): METARs, TAFs, and the region radar/satellite picture: http://aviationweather.gov/

METAR: Type in your local airfield and you should find what you're looking for. this is essentially the 'now' weather. There is an option to 'translate' it so it looks like something a normal person can read . Great to use before you roll out to observe since it's present conditions.
http://aviationweather.gov/adds/tafs/java/

TAF: These are the predictions over a period of time. The times are in Zulu and should give you a fairly accurate prediction of what you can expect. Again, use the translate feature as it's written in a silly short hand.
http://aviationweather.gov/adds/tafs/java/

Radar/Satellite: The radar is good for finding convection activity in your region. I usually open to this screen: http://radar.weather.gov/Conus/ and they have regional screens that provide you with cloud cover/convective activity so you can verify your MOA (or house) isn't going to see activity. In addition, you can get trends from the movement of storms/cloud cover as well.

All of these tools, plus CSC can be useful in determining the WX before you setup. Of course, all your preparations can still go to waste which is why I ended up with a ROR in my backyard... There is nothing more awesome than taking a chance on imaging, getting a few images and then running out to close the 'observatory' before the storm comes in.

Good luck!

Chris

MessiToM
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Fool me once shame on you. Fool me twice....(cloud new [Re: Raginar]
      #5611326 - 01/08/13 02:40 AM

rooked again. Everything said tonight was going to be a "go". yes technically there were stars visible. Id give transparency a 1 of 5 where it was saposed to be 4/5

dang winter

cadfour

Reged: 07/26/12

Loc: Melbourne, Florida
      #5611834 - 01/08/13 12:12 PM

Wanna beat the system? Do what I do.
I always think to myself the entire day...íI will not go out tonight...I have too much to do.....just canít do it...wont do ití....then....at sunset, using averted vision I look outside to see itís completely clear. I run and grab my scope set it up out back and observer for 10 minutes till the clouds roll in. Works every time!

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
6 registered and 8 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  cildarith, panhard, tecmage 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1812

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics