Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

General Astronomy >> General Observing and Astronomy

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)
JimMo
I'd Rather Do It Myself

Reged: 01/08/07

Loc: Under the SE Michigan lightdom...
Re: Worst state or area in the U.S. for astronomy? new [Re: csrlice12]
      #5610437 - 01/07/13 03:28 PM

Hate to pile it on to SE Michigan but it does have one thing going for it. Our telescopes stay newer and last much longer due to the fact we don't get to use them too often.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
csrlice12
Postmaster

Reged: 05/22/12

Loc: Denver, CO
Re: Worst state or area in the U.S. for astronomy? new [Re: JimMo]
      #5610474 - 01/07/13 03:51 PM

hmmm, could explain that rash of pizza scopes we've been reading about.......

punk35
sage

Reged: 01/26/05

Loc: lower michigan
      #5610478 - 01/07/13 03:54 PM

Another vote for michigan

la200o
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/09/08

Loc: SE Michigan, USA
Re: Worst state or area in the U.S. for astronomy? new [Re: uniondrone]
      #5610489 - 01/07/13 04:06 PM

Wow, Michigan is winning hands down! I've lived in the Pacific NW, and although the "winters" (they don't really understand the word, at least west of the Cascades)is very very cloudy, the summers are often hot and dry. Tony's nomination of SW Alaska is a good one, though. . . sounds pretty awful for astronomy.

Bill

Jon Isaacs
Postmaster

Reged: 06/16/04

Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA
      #5610494 - 01/07/13 04:08 PM

Quote:

Hate to pile it on to SE Michigan but it does have one thing going for it. Our telescopes stay newer and last much longer due to the fact we don't get to use them too often.

It seems as if being an Astronomer in Michigan is like being an Ice Fisherman in San Diego...

Jon

csrlice12
Postmaster

Reged: 05/22/12

Loc: Denver, CO
Re: Worst state or area in the U.S. for astronomy? new [Re: Jon Isaacs]
      #5610499 - 01/07/13 04:10 PM

Except you CAN find ice in San Diego.......

JimMo
I'd Rather Do It Myself

Reged: 01/08/07

Loc: Under the SE Michigan lightdom...
      #5610560 - 01/07/13 04:46 PM

Quote:

Quote:

It seems as if being an Astronomer in Michigan is like being an Ice Fisherman in San Diego...

Jon

It is tough. Unless I go to an outstate star party I might observe 6-8 nights a year. Ironically, Michigan has the first state designated dark sky preserve, Lake Hudson Rec. Area, which is where I usually observe. Just recently the legislature designated 22,500 acres in the northern lower peninsula from the Mackinac Bridge west to Cross Village as a dark sky preserve, but realistically the whole area is mostly forest and the sky usually has clouds. See this thread for some pics of the Headlands Preserve on page two.

JIMZ7
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 10/22/05

Loc: S.E.Michigan near DTW
Re: Worst state or area in the U.S. for astronomy? new [Re: la200o]
      #5610563 - 01/07/13 04:47 PM

Wow the Sun came out this afternoon with blue skies. Maybe the stars will follow tonight. If not I guess by hitting my head against the wall will bring them out for sure.

Jim

la200o
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/09/08

Loc: SE Michigan, USA
Re: Worst state or area in the U.S. for astronomy? new [Re: JIMZ7]
      #5610647 - 01/07/13 06:13 PM

Accuweather says tonight will be clear and the next two nights are rated "fair" for Tuesday and (hold your breath) "good" for Wednesday until a return to the routine "poor" for stargazing for the rest of the week.

Bill

uniondrone
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/05/09

Loc: Streetlight Archipelago
      #5610674 - 01/07/13 06:28 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Jon

I haven't moved my telescope since early November. There might have been a couple of nights in that span that were clear enough, but not enough. Ironically, the sky is spotlessly clear right now in SE Michigan, however.

punk35
sage

Reged: 01/26/05

Loc: lower michigan
      #5610761 - 01/07/13 07:17 PM

Of course it's clear now, it always seems to be, when I'm not prepared to go out.

I shouldn't complain. My daughter lives pretty close to Lake Hudson, so I get to spend a lot of time there enjoying the darker skies.

edwincjones
Close Enough

Reged: 04/10/04

Re: Worst state or area in the U.S. for astronomy? new [Re: punk35]
      #5610781 - 01/07/13 07:28 PM

sorry for you folks in Michigan, but I feel better now

my daughter lived in the UP in the past, and I did find fairly decent skies north of Handcock-saw my first aurora there

edj
NW AR

Qwickdraw
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 03/03/12

Loc: Ann Arbor, MI
      #5610824 - 01/07/13 08:00 PM

Well, I also live in SE Michigan and apart from the cold winters I usually dont have much of a problem with clouds. It could be better or it could be worse. It certainly isnt NM.

Ed D
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 04/30/10

Loc: Sunny South Florida
Re: Worst state or area in the U.S. for astronomy? new [Re: Qwickdraw]
      #5610937 - 01/07/13 09:28 PM

I'll cast my vote for Miami, Florida. Yet, as bad as it is in the 'burbs I still enjoy getting a scope out in my yard to observe planets and bright DSOs. I also enjoy getting away to Everglades National Park, where the view of the Southern skies will knock you off your socks.

Ed D

Pinbout
Postmaster

Reged: 02/22/10

Loc: nj
Re: Worst state or area in the U.S. for astronomy? new [Re: Ed D]
      #5611128 - 01/07/13 11:06 PM

I'll vote for the garbage...I mean garden state NJ.

mich_al
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/10/09

Loc: Rural central lower Michigan ...
Re: Worst state or area in the U.S. for astronomy? [Re: Pinbout]
      #5611272 - 01/08/13 01:04 AM Attachment (15 downloads)

Well, I'll have to stand up for Michigan. Sure there are plenty of cloudy nights but there are plenty that are clear too. 6-8 nights a year, not out snce November. WHAT?? Rarely does a week go by when I can't get out, and I don't ever go out just to look thru sucker holes either. Maybe I'm is some golden triangle or something but I'd honestly rate the skies here clear pretty often. Yea it gets cold but it's easy to dress for that and yea there are bugs but there are many ways to deal with that too. For me the heat is hard to deal with, hot and sweaty doesn't go with many things. Lately the jet stream has been a nuisance trying to look at Jupiter but it's not a showstopper. Gotta go there's finaly enough ice for fishing too.

Starman81
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/06/08

Loc: Metro Detroit, MI, USA
Re: Worst state or area in the U.S. for astronomy? [Re: mich_al]
      #5611298 - 01/08/13 01:42 AM

Another SE 'Michigander' chiming in here but NOT voting against SE Michigan... It could be a lot worse... In my first year back in the hobby and my first year seriously observing. I was quite impressed with the number of clear nights in 2012. Like most of the Midwest, we had a mild winter last year and in the summer I can only remember mosquitoes bites on two nights out of many. I think I picked the right year! Light pollution-wise, orange zone skies are ~30 minutes away, yellow zone 1 hr, green zone maybe 2 hrs, blue zone 3 hrs.

As for this winter, this is a real 'Michigan winter' once again with snow remaining on the ground and persistent cloud cover. I was starting to get frustrated myself and them saw this thread and realized there are so many others in the same boat. Tonight was somewhat clear and maybe 1/9 Wednesday will be and looks like next Monday 1/14. I sent a message out to my astronomy club seeing if anyone wanted to observe but I got no takers. So the opportunities are there but the LaZBoy recliners and warm indoors are sometimes tough to tear ourselves away from especially when you are talking about at best 'Average' transparency and seeing during those clear nights.

Bill Weir
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 06/01/04

Loc: Metchosin (Victoria), Canada
Re: Worst state or area in the U.S. for astronomy? [Re: Starman81]
      #5611304 - 01/08/13 01:58 AM

Is this Michigan thing the reason Webster Telescopes is located there? I guess it gives them lots of time to build scopes because they can't observe.

While those dudes on the west coast of Washington State complain I just want to state they are on the wrong side of the Strait. Last year I was able to observe on 47 occasions with 27 of them being Deep Sky. There was also the many days when I popped out for a quick view of H-alpha during lunch hour at work. What goes past me bunches up on your mountains. Thanks.

I'm with Tony on that Alaska thing or the north west coast of my island and up the BC coast. If it's not rain/cloud it's wind, which are regularly hurricaine force.

Bill

Tony Flanders
Postmaster

Reged: 05/18/06

Loc: Cambridge, MA, USA
Re: Worst state or area in the U.S. for astronomy? new [Re: la200o]
      #5611425 - 01/08/13 07:05 AM

To be honest about this, Michigan is just like anywhere else in the Midwest three seasons of the year. It's only during winter that those lake-effect clouds set in.

My (admittedly limited) experience from visiting my in-law in Ann Arbor during the winter is that winter does get some clear skies -- but it always comes in short bursts, typical an hour or two long, and quite unpredictable. That really puts a premium on grab-and-go scopes!

Tony Flanders
Postmaster

Reged: 05/18/06

Loc: Cambridge, MA, USA
Re: Worst state or area in the U.S. for astronomy? new [Re: Bill Weir]
      #5611434 - 01/08/13 07:13 AM

Quote:

I'm with Tony on that Alaska thing or the north west coast of my island and up the BC coast. If it's not rain/cloud it's wind, which are regularly hurricaine force.

The farther north you get, the wetter it gets.

But the real kicker for people in the Alaska Panhandle is that you can't get away from it. In Portland OR it may be cloudy all winter, but you always have the option of driving across the mountains to the desert.

In Southeast Alaska, aside from Haines and Skagway, the only way to get across the mountains is by foot (takes several days, and tough to carry a telescope!) or airplane.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)

Extra information
2 registered and 20 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  cildarith, panhard, tecmage 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5112

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics