Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

General Astronomy >> General Observing and Astronomy

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)
la200o
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/09/08

Loc: SE Michigan, USA
Worst state or area in the U.S. for astronomy?
      #5609312 - 01/06/13 10:00 PM

I'll nominate SE Michigan: Cold, cold long gray winters; humid buggy summers, and, being on the western edge of the Eastern Time Zone, it gets dark very late in those summers. May and October are the best months, reasonable temps and once in awhile decent seeing. And of course (though I live in a semi-rural area), the skyglow from Ann Arbor, Detroit, and the many sizable bedroom communities around them make for considerable light pollution.

Other candidates?

Bill

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
bherv
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/10/06

Loc: WMass
Re: Worst state or area in the U.S. for astronomy? new [Re: la200o]
      #5609652 - 01/07/13 05:31 AM

Rhode Island

MawkHawk
sage

Reged: 08/23/09

Re: Worst state or area in the U.S. for astronomy? new [Re: bherv]
      #5609705 - 01/07/13 07:45 AM

"Other candidates?"

No, but I second S.E. Michigan, especially in winter when there are almost zero clear, weekend nights...

JIMZ7
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 10/22/05

Loc: S.E.Michigan near DTW
Re: Worst state or area in the U.S. for astronomy? new [Re: MawkHawk]
      #5609727 - 01/07/13 08:10 AM

I third S.E. Michigan. There are times in the winter where the Sun doesn't come out from behind the clouds. I remember not seeing a clear night sky from mid-November to mid- March. If the stars do appear they are only 1st & 2nd magnitude at best. Good old "Great Lakes".

Jim

csrlice12
Postmaster

Reged: 05/22/12

Loc: Denver, CO
Re: Worst state or area in the U.S. for astronomy? new [Re: JIMZ7]
      #5609753 - 01/07/13 08:36 AM

Seems to be whereever I'm at at the moment......

uniondrone
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/05/09

Loc: Streetlight Archipelago
Re: Worst state or area in the U.S. for astronomy? new [Re: csrlice12]
      #5609864 - 01/07/13 10:13 AM

As another SE Michigan resident, the situation here could be a lot better. But then again, I think that most of us are venting at the fact that we have had an absurdly cloudy fall and winter.

panhardModerator
It's All Good

Reged: 01/20/08

Loc: Markham Ontario Canada
Re: Worst state or area in the U.S. for astronomy? new [Re: uniondrone]
      #5609898 - 01/07/13 10:39 AM

I can't say that the conditions are much better here in the winter. During the summer we seem to fare a bit better than those in SE Michigan.

cliff mygatt
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/27/09

Loc: Kitsap County, WA
Re: Worst state or area in the U.S. for astronomy? new [Re: panhard]
      #5610204 - 01/07/13 01:02 PM

For Cloud cover, the Pacific Northwest is a pretty tough place for astronomy. My astro Club heads over the eastern side of the state several times a year and late spring to early fall is the best opportunity for observing though last year we cancelled all of our local star parties due to weather.

niteskystargazer
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/05/09

Loc: 41-43'-28" N 87-42'-39" W
      #5610216 - 01/07/13 01:12 PM

Hi,

Chicago Area .

CS,KLU,

Tom

vsteblina
sage

Reged: 11/05/07

Loc: Wenatchee, Washington
Re: Worst state or area in the U.S. for astronomy? new [Re: cliff mygatt]
      #5610235 - 01/07/13 01:19 PM

According to the Mt. Graham EIS the worst areas in terms of cloud cover were the Pacific Northwest coast up to the crest of the Cascades and Maine.

So it was a tie between those two areas.

PlanetNamek
journeyman

Reged: 01/04/13

Re: Worst state or area in the U.S. for astronomy? new [Re: niteskystargazer]
      #5610236 - 01/07/13 01:19 PM

Hey there Bill, nice to see someone else here from Michigan! Haha, you are absolutely correct about the conditions here. I live in the suburbs of detroit and even here its difficult to get a nice view of anything without going up to about 33 or 34 mile road. And the weather is just horrible. True story, 34 one day and then the next day....55-60 insane and unstable I can't imagine a worse area. Thank god my neighborhood isn't that big of a light dome.

Tony Flanders
Postmaster

Reged: 05/18/06

Loc: Cambridge, MA, USA
      #5610271 - 01/07/13 01:49 PM

Quote:

I'll nominate SE Michigan:

Well, I'll admit that Michigan was the first place that came to mind when I read the title of this thread. (I used to visit my wife's family there regularly.) Western Michigan is much cloudier than eastern Michigan, by the way.

For distance to dark skies, probably western Long Island or Chicago are worst.

I suspect that Southeast Alaska has all these beat hands-down, however. Half the year you have the worst light pollution of all -- the Sun. And the other half it's either raining or snowing, depending where you are.

Edited by Tony Flanders (01/07/13 01:50 PM)

uniondrone
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Worst state or area in the U.S. for astronomy? new [Re: Tony Flanders]
      #5610300 - 01/07/13 02:10 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Well, I'll admit that Michigan was the first place that came to mind when I read the title of this thread. (I used to visit my wife's family there regularly.) Western Michigan is much cloudier than eastern Michigan, by the way.

I suspect that Southeast Alaska has all these beat hands-down, however. Half the year you have the worst light pollution of all -- the Sun. And the other half it's either raining or snowing, depending where you are.

One thing that Michigan does have going for it, is that finding dark skies is still possible. The northern half of the state has dark skies, and even at worst you can get to a green zone or better in 2-3 hours from most places. That's probably better than most people along the eastern seaboard have it.

I'm not sure which I like less, the mosquitoes and humidity of summer or the cold and snow of winter.

norton67

Reged: 12/11/12

Loc: Michigan
      #5610371 - 01/07/13 02:50 PM

Michiagn is the worst place. I think we have one clear night a year.

Startraffic
professor emeritus

Reged: 02/12/06

Loc: Lat. 39.143345, Long. -77.1748...
      #5610373 - 01/07/13 02:50 PM

la200o,
Easy Peasey, Gotta be anything within 15 miles of Washington DC! Solid white zone, 3 major airports, 10-15 smaller airports, 6 Interstate Highways, & 3-4 Million people (a conservative guestimate) living here. Anything dimmer than a 9th mag is simply non-existant. Andromeda, Orion, & the Horsehead don't exist in my sky.

Clear Dark Skies
Startraffic
39.138274 -77.168898

uniondrone
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Worst state or area in the U.S. for astronomy? new [Re: norton67]
      #5610407 - 01/07/13 03:09 PM

Quote:

Michiagn is the worst place. I think we have one clear night a year.

Now, now... it's not quite that bad. Both of the past two summers we easily had 2-3 perfectly clear nights per week. Yes, you might have had to deal with light pollution (Detroit-area) or biting insects (everywhere else), but it could be worse. Of course the last 2+ months have been mostly clouds, but what can you do?

Tony Flanders
Postmaster

#5610409 - 01/07/13 03:10 PM

Quote:

One thing that Michigan does have going for it, is that finding dark skies is still possible. The northern half of the state has dark skies, and even at worst you can get to a green zone or better in 2-3 hours from most places. That's probably better than most people along the eastern seaboard have it.

Only marginally better, I'd say. You can get to the green zone from midtown Manhattan or downtown Boston in about 2 hours -- at least late at night.

Northern Michigan is plenty dark, but it's a long way from the Detroit conurbation. Michigan is a very big state!

To get to equally dark skies from Boston I would have to cross two state borders, but it wouldn't be much farther.

Man in a Tub
Postmaster

Reged: 10/28/08

Loc: Fogpatch, CA
      #5610410 - 01/07/13 03:11 PM

http://www.currentresults.com/Weather-Extremes/US/cloudiest.php

csrlice12
Postmaster

#5610422 - 01/07/13 03:17 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I'm not sure which I like less, the mosquitoes and humidity of summer or the cold and snow of winter.

It's Michigan, where you can have the cold and snows of Summer whilst being drained of blood by aircraft sized mosquitos....during all three seasons: June, July, and Winter!

uniondrone
Carpal Tunnel

#5610433 - 01/07/13 03:27 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Only marginally better, I'd say. You can get to the green zone from midtown Manhattan or downtown Boston in about 2 hours -- at least late at night.

Northern Michigan is plenty dark, but it's a long way from the Detroit conurbation. Michigan is a very big state!

To get to equally dark skies from Boston I would have to cross two state borders, but it wouldn't be much farther.

Well, if I head toward Michigan's thumb along highway M-53, I can reach the green zone from the northern Detroit suburbs in only about 1.5 to 2 hours, traffic permitting. Depending on which color zone map you believe, the blue zone might only be 30 minutes farther. That's not too shabby!

JimMo
I'd Rather Do It Myself

Reged: 01/08/07

Loc: Under the SE Michigan lightdom...
      #5610437 - 01/07/13 03:28 PM

Hate to pile it on to SE Michigan but it does have one thing going for it. Our telescopes stay newer and last much longer due to the fact we don't get to use them too often.

csrlice12
Postmaster

Re: Worst state or area in the U.S. for astronomy? new [Re: JimMo]
      #5610474 - 01/07/13 03:51 PM

hmmm, could explain that rash of pizza scopes we've been reading about.......

punk35
sage

Reged: 01/26/05

Loc: lower michigan
      #5610478 - 01/07/13 03:54 PM

Another vote for michigan

la200o
Carpal Tunnel

#5610489 - 01/07/13 04:06 PM

Wow, Michigan is winning hands down! I've lived in the Pacific NW, and although the "winters" (they don't really understand the word, at least west of the Cascades)is very very cloudy, the summers are often hot and dry. Tony's nomination of SW Alaska is a good one, though. . . sounds pretty awful for astronomy.

Bill

Jon Isaacs
Postmaster

Reged: 06/16/04

Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA
      #5610494 - 01/07/13 04:08 PM

Quote:

Hate to pile it on to SE Michigan but it does have one thing going for it. Our telescopes stay newer and last much longer due to the fact we don't get to use them too often.

It seems as if being an Astronomer in Michigan is like being an Ice Fisherman in San Diego...

Jon

csrlice12
Postmaster

Re: Worst state or area in the U.S. for astronomy? new [Re: Jon Isaacs]
      #5610499 - 01/07/13 04:10 PM

Except you CAN find ice in San Diego.......

JimMo
I'd Rather Do It Myself

#5610560 - 01/07/13 04:46 PM

Quote:

Quote:

It seems as if being an Astronomer in Michigan is like being an Ice Fisherman in San Diego...

Jon

It is tough. Unless I go to an outstate star party I might observe 6-8 nights a year. Ironically, Michigan has the first state designated dark sky preserve, Lake Hudson Rec. Area, which is where I usually observe. Just recently the legislature designated 22,500 acres in the northern lower peninsula from the Mackinac Bridge west to Cross Village as a dark sky preserve, but realistically the whole area is mostly forest and the sky usually has clouds. See this thread for some pics of the Headlands Preserve on page two.

JIMZ7
Pooh-Bah

#5610563 - 01/07/13 04:47 PM

Wow the Sun came out this afternoon with blue skies. Maybe the stars will follow tonight. If not I guess by hitting my head against the wall will bring them out for sure.

Jim

la200o
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Worst state or area in the U.S. for astronomy? new [Re: JIMZ7]
      #5610647 - 01/07/13 06:13 PM

Accuweather says tonight will be clear and the next two nights are rated "fair" for Tuesday and (hold your breath) "good" for Wednesday until a return to the routine "poor" for stargazing for the rest of the week.

Bill

uniondrone
Carpal Tunnel

#5610674 - 01/07/13 06:28 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Jon

I haven't moved my telescope since early November. There might have been a couple of nights in that span that were clear enough, but not enough. Ironically, the sky is spotlessly clear right now in SE Michigan, however.

punk35
sage

Reged: 01/26/05

Loc: lower michigan
      #5610761 - 01/07/13 07:17 PM

Of course it's clear now, it always seems to be, when I'm not prepared to go out.

I shouldn't complain. My daughter lives pretty close to Lake Hudson, so I get to spend a lot of time there enjoying the darker skies.

edwincjones
Close Enough

Reged: 04/10/04

Re: Worst state or area in the U.S. for astronomy? new [Re: punk35]
      #5610781 - 01/07/13 07:28 PM

sorry for you folks in Michigan, but I feel better now

my daughter lived in the UP in the past, and I did find fairly decent skies north of Handcock-saw my first aurora there

edj
NW AR

Qwickdraw
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/03/12

Loc: Ann Arbor, MI
      #5610824 - 01/07/13 08:00 PM

Well, I also live in SE Michigan and apart from the cold winters I usually dont have much of a problem with clouds. It could be better or it could be worse. It certainly isnt NM.

Ed D
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 04/30/10

Loc: Sunny South Florida
Re: Worst state or area in the U.S. for astronomy? new [Re: Qwickdraw]
      #5610937 - 01/07/13 09:28 PM

I'll cast my vote for Miami, Florida. Yet, as bad as it is in the 'burbs I still enjoy getting a scope out in my yard to observe planets and bright DSOs. I also enjoy getting away to Everglades National Park, where the view of the Southern skies will knock you off your socks.

Ed D

Pinbout
Postmaster

Reged: 02/22/10

Loc: nj
Re: Worst state or area in the U.S. for astronomy? new [Re: Ed D]
      #5611128 - 01/07/13 11:06 PM

I'll vote for the garbage...I mean garden state NJ.

mich_al
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/10/09

Loc: Rural central lower Michigan ...
Re: Worst state or area in the U.S. for astronomy? new [Re: Pinbout]
      #5611272 - 01/08/13 01:04 AM Attachment (15 downloads)

Well, I'll have to stand up for Michigan. Sure there are plenty of cloudy nights but there are plenty that are clear too. 6-8 nights a year, not out snce November. WHAT?? Rarely does a week go by when I can't get out, and I don't ever go out just to look thru sucker holes either. Maybe I'm is some golden triangle or something but I'd honestly rate the skies here clear pretty often. Yea it gets cold but it's easy to dress for that and yea there are bugs but there are many ways to deal with that too. For me the heat is hard to deal with, hot and sweaty doesn't go with many things. Lately the jet stream has been a nuisance trying to look at Jupiter but it's not a showstopper. Gotta go there's finaly enough ice for fishing too.

Starman81
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/06/08

Loc: Metro Detroit, MI, USA
Re: Worst state or area in the U.S. for astronomy? new [Re: mich_al]
      #5611298 - 01/08/13 01:42 AM

Another SE 'Michigander' chiming in here but NOT voting against SE Michigan... It could be a lot worse... In my first year back in the hobby and my first year seriously observing. I was quite impressed with the number of clear nights in 2012. Like most of the Midwest, we had a mild winter last year and in the summer I can only remember mosquitoes bites on two nights out of many. I think I picked the right year! Light pollution-wise, orange zone skies are ~30 minutes away, yellow zone 1 hr, green zone maybe 2 hrs, blue zone 3 hrs.

As for this winter, this is a real 'Michigan winter' once again with snow remaining on the ground and persistent cloud cover. I was starting to get frustrated myself and them saw this thread and realized there are so many others in the same boat. Tonight was somewhat clear and maybe 1/9 Wednesday will be and looks like next Monday 1/14. I sent a message out to my astronomy club seeing if anyone wanted to observe but I got no takers. So the opportunities are there but the LaZBoy recliners and warm indoors are sometimes tough to tear ourselves away from especially when you are talking about at best 'Average' transparency and seeing during those clear nights.

Bill Weir
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 06/01/04

Loc: Metchosin (Victoria), Canada
Re: Worst state or area in the U.S. for astronomy? new [Re: Starman81]
      #5611304 - 01/08/13 01:58 AM

Is this Michigan thing the reason Webster Telescopes is located there? I guess it gives them lots of time to build scopes because they can't observe.

While those dudes on the west coast of Washington State complain I just want to state they are on the wrong side of the Strait. Last year I was able to observe on 47 occasions with 27 of them being Deep Sky. There was also the many days when I popped out for a quick view of H-alpha during lunch hour at work. What goes past me bunches up on your mountains. Thanks.

I'm with Tony on that Alaska thing or the north west coast of my island and up the BC coast. If it's not rain/cloud it's wind, which are regularly hurricaine force.

Bill

Tony Flanders
Postmaster

#5611425 - 01/08/13 07:05 AM

To be honest about this, Michigan is just like anywhere else in the Midwest three seasons of the year. It's only during winter that those lake-effect clouds set in.

My (admittedly limited) experience from visiting my in-law in Ann Arbor during the winter is that winter does get some clear skies -- but it always comes in short bursts, typical an hour or two long, and quite unpredictable. That really puts a premium on grab-and-go scopes!

Tony Flanders
Postmaster

Re: Worst state or area in the U.S. for astronomy? new [Re: Bill Weir]
      #5611434 - 01/08/13 07:13 AM

Quote:

I'm with Tony on that Alaska thing or the north west coast of my island and up the BC coast. If it's not rain/cloud it's wind, which are regularly hurricaine force.

The farther north you get, the wetter it gets.

But the real kicker for people in the Alaska Panhandle is that you can't get away from it. In Portland OR it may be cloudy all winter, but you always have the option of driving across the mountains to the desert.

In Southeast Alaska, aside from Haines and Skagway, the only way to get across the mountains is by foot (takes several days, and tough to carry a telescope!) or airplane.

JimMo
I'd Rather Do It Myself

#5611462 - 01/08/13 07:49 AM

Quote:

To be honest about this, Michigan is just like anywhere else in the Midwest three seasons of the year. It's only during winter that those lake-effect clouds set in.

My (admittedly limited) experience from visiting my in-law in Ann Arbor during the winter is that winter does get some clear skies -- but it always comes in short bursts, typical an hour or two long, and quite unpredictable. That really puts a premium on grab-and-go scopes!

Yes, I have a small refractor on a Voyager mount that gets the most use. Yes, I do admit isn't always cloudy here, many times it is clear for a few days in a row, usually around full Moon. My solar scope doesn't care if the Moon is around or not so it gets used a lot, too. When I said 6-8 times a year I meant when using my dob under moonless darker skies.

Here is a Nasa photo that represents a pretty typical Michigan weather pattern from November-March.

edwincjones
Close Enough

Reged: 04/10/04

#5611467 - 01/08/13 08:00 AM

Quote:

In Southeast Alaska, aside from Haines and Skagway, the only way to get across the mountains is by foot (takes several days, and tough to carry a telescope!) or airplane.

not for a dedicated observer

edj

JIMZ7
Pooh-Bah

Re: Worst state or area in the U.S. for astronomy? new [Re: Ed D]
      #5611491 - 01/08/13 08:24 AM

Ed D the darkest skies I ever saw was thru the Everglades in the Wintertime. All the stars looked like 1st & 2nd magnitude. I had to blink many times to adjust my eyes to the "heavenly glow". It was almost scary to see skies so dark! Jim Mo that satellite view of Michigan in the Winter fits like a glove--in our case a "mitten".

Jim

uniondrone
Carpal Tunnel

#5611954 - 01/08/13 01:26 PM

If this thread were titled which state's residents like to complain the most about bad astronomy conditions, I'm sure Michigan would win hands down!

All joking aside, we might have it worse than many--and especially this time of year--but it's not quite as terrible as we all like to think it is. Sure, it's no high desert plain, but this past summer when half the country was grumbling about perpetual clouds, SE Michigan was averaging at least two clear nights per week.

mich_al
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/10/09

Loc: Rural central lower Michigan ...
      #5612232 - 01/08/13 04:05 PM

Clear nights are at a resonable number to me but the number of nights with good seeing and transparency is sure a lot less. Nights of very good skies are sure at a minimum.

tvoydan
sage

Reged: 09/21/05

Loc: Metro Detroit
Re: Worst state or area in the U.S. for astronomy? new [Re: mich_al]
      #5612377 - 01/08/13 05:34 PM

Here's another vote for Michigan. Just 3 imaging days in over a month. And that was pushing it. Unknown when I'll get a few more days in. Already looking south for spring visual observing. By then I'll forget what color the sun is. If it even exists... just a rumor in these parts...

JimK
Skygazer

Reged: 09/18/05

Loc: Albuquerque, NM USA
      #5612481 - 01/08/13 06:37 PM

Quote:

Quote:

The farther north you get, the wetter it gets.

But the real kicker for people in the Alaska Panhandle is that you can't get away from it. In Portland OR it may be cloudy all winter, but you always have the option of driving across the mountains to the desert.

And I believe in Alaska there's also that thing called "Northern Lights" when its is dark and clear. This astro web page / click here, gave me a chuckle.

eros312

Reged: 02/14/09

Loc: Tampa, FL
      #5612530 - 01/08/13 07:00 PM

I'd say anywhere downwind of the Great Lakes is pretty bad. I used to live in Buffalo, NY and winters can be pretty depressing.

Jb32828
sage

Reged: 08/01/10

Loc: Orlando, FL USA
Re: Worst state or area in the U.S. for astronomy? new [Re: JimK]
      #5612535 - 01/08/13 07:02 PM

Heres a vote for Florida where since Memorial Day weeknd of last year, I have had a total of 6 nights of weather capable of doing any decent imaging. And guess what this new moon brings - yet another cloudy washout.

It used to be that it would storm here something fierce in the summers every day at 3pm but have a reasonably clear sky at night and through the overnight hours but the last 2 years has been like living in a hot bizarro version of Seattle!

Wmacky
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/24/07

Loc: Florida
Re: Worst state or area in the U.S. for astronomy? new [Re: Jb32828]
      #5612666 - 01/08/13 08:39 PM

Quote:

Heres a vote for Florida where since Memorial Day weeknd of last year, I have had a total of 6 nights of weather capable of doing any decent imaging. And guess what this new moon brings - yet another cloudy washout.

It used to be that it would storm here something fierce in the summers every day at 3pm but have a reasonably clear sky at night and through the overnight hours but the last 2 years has been like living in a hot bizarro version of Seattle!

Yep, It's been exactly 1 year since I've pulled out the telescopes as I've spent the time building an observatory. I was upset that I had taken a building break, and would now lose most of another winter viewing "season".

In reality I've missed maybe 2 good nights!

dan777
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 11/16/07

Loc: Indiana
Re: Worst state or area in the U.S. for astronomy? new [Re: Wmacky]
      #5612782 - 01/08/13 09:49 PM

I would vote for Michigan, where I USED to live We had one or two clear nights each month in the winter. On top of that, I lived 8 miles north of Detroit city limits. Talk about a light dome, in the summer I could barely see Sagittarius and Scorpius.

Starman1
Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

Reged: 06/24/03

Loc: Los Angeles
Re: Worst state or area in the U.S. for astronomy? new [Re: dan777]
      #5613858 - 01/09/13 02:52 PM

Los Angeles has to come close.
I've observed, on a clear night, from a house in the Hollywood Hills, and the night sky was blue, like permanent twilight. In Orion, on the merdian at the time, Rigel, Saiph, Bellatrix, and Betelgeuse and the 3 belt stars (Alnilam, Alnitak, Mintaka) were visible, and with difficulty. Period. My SQM (for those familiar with this tool) read mag. 16.6, about the same as 20 minutes after sunset in my dark site.
We estimated the naked eye limiting magnitude around 3.
On the best night I've ever seen here (no moon, dry, quiet air, and after midnight) We've gotten to an NELM of 4.5.
Plus, hazy most of the time.
Not auspicious for astronomy.

t.r.
Post Laureate

Reged: 02/14/08

Loc: Upstate NY
Re: Worst state or area in the U.S. for astronomy? new [Re: Starman1]
      #5613885 - 01/09/13 03:04 PM

Syracuse NY...63 clear days, 98 partly sunny, 46% sunlight...the lowest in ALL of New York state to include Buffalo and Rochester!!! And #1 for snowfall!

http://goldensnowglobe.com/current-top-10-snowiest-cities/

Jon Isaacs
Postmaster

#5614044 - 01/09/13 04:36 PM

Quote:

Los Angeles has to come close.
I've observed, on a clear night, from a house in the Hollywood Hills, and the night sky was blue, like permanent twilight. In Orion, on the merdian at the time, Rigel, Saiph, Bellatrix, and Betelgeuse and the 3 belt stars (Alnilam, Alnitak, Mintaka) were visible, and with difficulty. Period. My SQM (for those familiar with this tool) read mag. 16.6, about the same as 20 minutes after sunset in my dark site.
We estimated the naked eye limiting magnitude around 3.
On the best night I've ever seen here (no moon, dry, quiet air, and after midnight) We've gotten to an NELM of 4.5.
Plus, hazy most of the time.
Not auspicious for astronomy.

Don:

L.A. is not a state but a city. Yes, there is a great deal of light pollution but the seeing is often quite good and there are a fair number of clear nights.

But most importantly, within an hour or two, one can be out where the skies are quite dark and very often clear. The coastal clouds that may blanket the basin, this can be escaped.

In most places, if it's cloudy where you are, drive 100 miles, it's cloudy, drive 200 miles, its cloudy. In San Diego we have it better than you but you have it pretty good compared to those folks in many parts of the US...

Just my two cents

Jon

Starman1

#5614254 - 01/09/13 06:39 PM

As people have often remarked, LA is an area. The standard metropolitan Statistical Area contains 5 counties and 12.6 million people the last time I read about it.
Yes, I can get to truly dark skies with drives of 100-200 miles. In most places of the country, and to most observers, that would make dark skies inaccessible. Only in LA would you find a driver willing to go 400 miles round-trip for an overnight viewing session.
So, in a sense, to paraphrase the beginning of "A Tale of Two Cities":
SoCal is the best of sites and the worst of sites.

orion61

Reged: 10/20/07

Loc: Birthplace James T Kirk
      #5614319 - 01/09/13 07:16 PM

Quote:

I'll vote for the garbage...I mean garden state NJ.

It has garden State on the Liscense Plates cause the Industrial,Chemical,Refining and Shipping Dock State wont fit. LOL
But tho fairly dark Iowa has the Cloudiest, Bumpiest skys,
20 below in the Winter and Skeeters the size of 747's in the Summer.
Observing at My buddys at 10,000 feet in Colorado was a DREAM COME TRUE... Untill the Spring storm blew in with no warning!
Lightening is SCARY in the Mountains..

bremms
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 08/31/12

Loc: SC
      #5614330 - 01/09/13 07:20 PM

Grew up 3 miles from lake Ontario, not a lot of clear days. VERY few, less than Syracuse. Only saving grace is our house was in a green/blue zone. So it was pretty dark when it was clear. Lived IN Baltimore when at Space Telescope. You look up and say " Look there's the star!" (since you can only see one or two.)

Jon Isaacs
Postmaster

#5614348 - 01/09/13 07:29 PM

Quote:

So, in a sense, to paraphrase the beginning of "A Tale of Two Cities":
SoCal is the best of sites and the worst of sites.

I am pretty happy down here in San Diego. I consider my backyard a very good site for planetary and double star observing, enjoyable for deep sky. And the mountains are an hour or so away....

San Diego County and LA County are both about the same size, a bit over 4500 square miles, each the size of a small eastern state. In this tale of two counties, I'll take San Diego...

Jon

csrlice12
Postmaster

Re: Worst state or area in the U.S. for astronomy? new [Re: orion61]
      #5615153 - 01/10/13 09:58 AM

"Lightening is SCARY in the Mountains.."

Lighning is DANGEROUS in the mountains....and scary.

*skyguy*
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/31/08

Loc: Western New York
      #5615176 - 01/10/13 10:14 AM

HA ... HA ... HA ... S.E. Michigan ... Pacific Northwest as the worst areas for observing? You gotta be kidding! Buffalo, New York is ranked as the #1 cloudiest city in the good old USA ... 311 cloudy or partly cloudy days a year ... that's 85% of the time with bad astronomy days.

Cloudiest Cities in the USA

BUT ... hold on ... I live 25 miles south of Buffalo ... in a lake effect cloud/snow belt area that Buffalo is not a part of. From mid-October to mid-March ... lake effect clouds and snow blanket my observatory and I have about 4-5 clear nights during this time (usually during full moon, of course!). I've had friends call me on a clear night in Buffalo asking to come out and observe ... and I laugh at them because I'm usually in the middle of a raging snow storm! Overall, from my location I estimate there are at least 335 cloudy or partially cloudy days a year, leaving about 30 days/nights suitable for observing or imaging (and looking back over the past year, that figure seems high).

If you think you've got it worse than me ... you better back it up with facts!

Tony Flanders
Postmaster

#5615183 - 01/10/13 10:22 AM

I think the title of this thread should be "Nobody's got it as bad as me," or "The grass is always greener on the other side."

Jon Isaacs
Postmaster

#5615228 - 01/10/13 10:47 AM Attachment (16 downloads)

Quote:

I think the title of this thread should be "Nobody's got it as bad as me," or "The grass is always greener on the other side."

Tony:

It does seem that way.

Myself, I am pretty much keeping my mouth shut because I think I have it pretty darn, good. The grass isn't very green because it rarely rains, rain requires clouds. The mountain skies are generally clear and reasonably dark.. It gets cold but rarely below about 25F, cold is in the 30s and 40s. It's windy but the wind blows away the dust and keeps the transparency high.

Other small bonuses, those little things (mosquitoes etc) that fly around and bite people are few and far between. Outside at night in the middle of summer, short sleeved shirt is all that is needed...

I'll take San Diego and it's mountains and the one day drive to some truly dark skies and not complain. Now if I were into to ice fishing, or viewing the aurora, I might be able to complain...

Jon

Edited by Jon Isaacs (01/10/13 11:15 AM)

LakeHavasu

Reged: 07/21/09

Loc: Lake Havasu City, Arizona, U....
      #5617968 - 01/11/13 08:36 PM

I'll nominate Lake Havasu City, Arizona not because of the dark skies but because of the politics of the local City Council. They enact a light pollution ordinance then they don't enforce the ordinance or violate it themselves with improper lighting of city properties. All talk, no actions.

rick-SeMI
sage

Reged: 01/08/11

Loc: Michigan - USA
      #5618163 - 01/11/13 10:44 PM

Quote:

It is tough. Unless I go to an outstate star party I might observe 6-8 nights a year. Ironically, Michigan has the first state designated dark sky preserve, Lake Hudson Rec. Area, which is where I usually observe. Just recently the legislature designated 22,500 acres in the northern lower peninsula from the Mackinac Bridge west to Cross Village as a dark sky preserve, but realistically the whole area is mostly forest and the sky usually has clouds. See this thread for some pics of the Headlands Preserve on page two.

Port Crescent State Park in Port Austin.
Became a Dark Sky Preserve in June 2012.
Stayed up there July 11-14. Really nice skies.
FAAC working with the DNR had the "Meteors and Smores"
outreach, on August 11th, but we got clouded out.
http://michiganvotes.org/RollCall.aspx?ID=613545

http://legislature.mi.gov/(S(zdbkrr45ooqzyafle2org0ey))/documents/2011-2012/p...

Edited by rick-SeMI (01/12/13 08:51 AM)

krp
Vendor. DarkSiteFinder.com

Reged: 11/10/10

Loc: Central Illinois
Re: Worst state or area in the U.S. for astronomy? new [Re: LakeHavasu]
      #5618168 - 01/11/13 10:46 PM

I think the Chicago area may be the worst for light pollution. The light pollution from Chicago, Rockford, Milwaukee and even up to Madison all merge into one bright sky. Dark skies are nowhere close. But I know it could be worse as far as cloud cover.

Jon Isaacs
Postmaster

Re: Worst state or area in the U.S. for astronomy? new [Re: LakeHavasu]
      #5618584 - 01/12/13 08:21 AM

Quote:

I'll nominate Lake Havasu City, Arizona not because of the dark skies but because of the politics of the local City Council. They enact a light pollution ordinance then they don't enforce the ordinance or violate it themselves with improper lighting of city properties. All talk, no actions.

I imagine most folks would trade the Lake Havasu light pollution for their own... and at least they have a light pollution ordinance.

Jon

Norm42

Reged: 10/17/08

Loc: Webster, NY
      #5618721 - 01/12/13 10:08 AM

I live in the Rochester NY area, I am sure I am in the top 10 at least.

I did run across an interesting website that shows a map of the US and where it is clear/cloudy, some stats as well. Gives a quick look at who to envy and who to commensurate with.

Cloud Cover Map

Jon from San Diego, who as he indicated enjoys clear skies, reminded me of a joke from Lewis Black about weatherman goes something like this:

What is the best job to have in the US? Being a weatherman in San Diego, you get a five figure income and the daily report goes like this:

News anchor to weatherman: Whats the weather like today?
Weatherman: Mmmm.....Sunny, back to you.

Norm

Dave M
Postmaster

Reged: 08/03/04

Loc: Ohio
Re: Worst state or area in the U.S. for astronomy? new [Re: Norm42]
      #5618792 - 01/12/13 10:52 AM

Has to be Ohio, we get lake effect clouds and snow, all the crud from the Pacific NW heads strait for Ohio, on top of that we also get a lot of clouds and moisture pumped up from the Gulf, so drawing a line from Washington State through Ohio and another from the Gulf of Mexico through Ohio and what do you get, X marks the spot.

orion61

Reged: 10/20/07

Loc: Birthplace James T Kirk
Re: Worst state or area in the U.S. for astronomy? new [Re: tvoydan]
      #5622853 - 01/14/13 03:10 PM

Quote:

Here's another vote for Michigan. Just 3 imaging days in over a month. And that was pushing it. Unknown when I'll get a few more days in. Already looking south for spring visual observing. By then I'll forget what color the sun is. If it even exists... just a rumor in these parts...

At least parts get relief from the Lakes modding the temps.
Here in Ipwa it Bakes in the Summer with High Humidity,
(the crops hold moisture like a sponge,
the Winters are brutal, I have seen -34 degrees, the wind blows from the Plines with nothing to slow them down
so the wind chill was -84 those 3 days in a row in the mid
70's
and again in 1989!
The Skeeters sound like Dive Bombers (Native American Indians) called them Birds with teeth! Biting Gnats..
then in the Fall and Spring it either Cloudy or raining!!
thats why I.O.W.A. stands for; I. O.tta W.ent A.round

Starman1

Re: Worst state or area in the U.S. for astronomy? new [Re: orion61]
      #5622920 - 01/14/13 03:47 PM

The last full year I lived in western Indiana (1976), we had 3 clear nights the entire year. It was cloudy all summer, with not one clear night.
It was unusual, but indicates how bad things can get within normal variation.

It could be worse: Ketchican Alaska gets 195 inches of rain a year and "clear" to the local weatherman is when the skies are 50% cloudy.
Eek.

Jon Isaacs
Postmaster

Re: Worst state or area in the U.S. for astronomy? new [Re: Norm42]
      #5623288 - 01/14/13 07:35 PM

Quote:

Jon from San Diego, who as he indicated enjoys clear skies, reminded me of a joke from Lewis Black about weatherman goes something like this:

What is the best job to have in the US? Being a weatherman in San Diego, you get a five figure income and the daily report goes like this:

News anchor to weatherman: Whats the weather like today?
Weatherman: Mmmm.....Sunny, back to you.

Norm

Being a weatherman in San Diego is actually not so easy. If you are the weatherman in Kansas City, you can be pretty sure that the weather in Independence is not too much different and that if you drive an hour in any direction, there maybe differences but they are relatively minor.

San Diego is a mosaic of micro-climates so the weatherman has to try to predict the each and every one.. An hour's drive takes you from the beaches and canyons of the coast through the foothill up to the mountains, the highest peak in the county is 6500 feet and it snows... Another 30 minutes east and you will be in the desert where it maybe 110F while the city is covered in the marine layer...

That variety makes San Diego a great place to live, a great place for an amateur astronomer. In the summer, the mountains are clear and cool with wide open vistas. In the winter, the deserts can offer a haven with the mountains blocking the storms...

Jon

droid
rocketman

Reged: 08/29/04

Loc: Conneaut, Ohio
      #5623512 - 01/14/13 10:01 PM

We actually had a good summer here in north east Ohio, many more clear than normal, naturally it been cloudy, rainy, snowy or a combination of the three pretty much ever since, lol.

Steve Drapak

Reged: 09/18/08

Loc: Toronto, Canada
Re: Worst state or area in the U.S. - Try Canada! new [Re: la200o]
      #5623628 - 01/14/13 11:19 PM

For those of you who think living in Canada is a good thing (at least as far as astronomy goes), here's the report of clear days accoring to Wolfram Alpha, for the last 6 months from my location (Brampton Ontario):

Clear days 2012

July 2.6 days
August 3.6 days
Sept 3 days
Oct 1.1 day
Nov 1.9 days
Dec .75 day

Just under 13 clear days in the last half year. Count the nights that were clear but with a moon, and you might as well use your telescope as a BB gun target.

I was in Tucson last week, I didn't know whether to be happy or cry. Envious for sure!

CJK
professor emeritus

Reged: 12/05/12

Loc: Northeast TN
Re: Worst state or area in the U.S. - Try Canada! new [Re: Steve Drapak]
      #5623630 - 01/14/13 11:24 PM

Ouch.

-- Chris

csrlice12
Postmaster

Re: Worst state or area in the U.S. - Try Canada! new [Re: CJK]
      #5624041 - 01/15/13 09:18 AM

Son, let me tell you 'bout the time I went scope huntin' with my BB gun..........

NeilMac
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/25/10

Loc: MedHat, AB, Canada
Re: Worst state or area in the U.S. - Try Canada! new [Re: csrlice12]
      #5624150 - 01/15/13 10:39 AM

LOL

It has been a terrible year

Starman81
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Worst state or area in the U.S. - Try Canada! new [Re: NeilMac]
      #5624473 - 01/15/13 02:01 PM Attachment (16 downloads)

Quote:

LOL

It has been a terrible year

So, are you saying I should not be jealous when I see this--concentric rings of ever-darkening skies and ~10-12 mile drive from city center to the blue Zone and maybe 15-18 miles to grey zone skies?

Steve Drapak

Reged: 09/18/08

Loc: Toronto, Canada
Re: Worst state or area in the U.S. - Try Canada! new [Re: Starman81]
      #5624499 - 01/15/13 02:16 PM

True, it is dark if you can drink enough antifreeze to keep the blood from congealing in the cold. And of course there are the many documented cases of moose attacks on telescopes :-)

Starman81
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Worst state or area in the U.S. - Try Canada! new [Re: Steve Drapak]
      #5624593 - 01/15/13 02:59 PM

Quote:

True, it is dark if you can drink enough antifreeze to keep the blood from congealing in the cold. And of course there are the many documented cases of moose attacks on telescopes :-)

Alas, reality rarely matches fantasy! It couldn't be that bad could it? I did just sit in the cold last night for 2.5 hours (22* F).

Edited by Starman81 (01/16/13 05:02 PM)

stevetaylor199
sage

Reged: 09/21/11

Loc: SE Wisconsin
Re: Worst state or area in the U.S. for astronomy? new [Re: krp]
      #5627104 - 01/16/13 10:02 PM

Quote:

I think the Chicago area may be the worst for light pollution. The light pollution from Chicago, Rockford, Milwaukee and even up to Madison all merge into one bright sky. Dark skies are nowhere close. But I know it could be worse as far as cloud cover.

I second this. I live 20 miles NW of Milwaukee, and I have a NELM of 4.5 (though not lately with continually partly cloudy conditions). I've had high hopes for relatives' homes 20 and 80-minute drives west or north, but, even though these aren't very densely populated areas, I'm not getting the dark skies I was hoping for. It looks like I need to drive west (or north) of Madison...until I get to northwestern Nebraska.

Taylor
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 07/10/05

Loc: Owasso, OK
Re: Worst state or area in the U.S. for astronomy? new [Re: stevetaylor199]
      #5627186 - 01/16/13 10:44 PM

I vote DC Metro/No. Virginia area.
Can only see the very brightest of stars and the planets. Forget about deep sky. That and the high humidity killed my astronomy interest during grad school here (well the lack of time is the #1 culprit).

Bill Whitehead
sage

Reged: 07/11/09

Loc: Exit 135 - Garden St Parkway
Re: Worst state or area in the U.S. for astronomy? new [Re: Taylor]
      #5627521 - 01/17/13 07:04 AM

I got you all beat...

This observatory is located within ten miles of the Manhattan light dome, within one mile of MetLife stadium complex (football, basketball and horse racing), and on the flight path of one of the runways for Newark Airport = planes passing over every ten minutes at approx. 1,000 feet.

This must be the worst location for an observatory in the world.

http://www.rst2.edu/meadowlands/marshaccess/observatory2.html

Peace, Bill

JimMo
I'd Rather Do It Myself

Re: Worst state or area in the U.S. for astronomy? new [Re: Bill Whitehead]
      #5627540 - 01/17/13 07:31 AM

Ding, ding, ding, ding. We have a winner!

herrointment
Post Laureate

Reged: 03/12/11

Loc: North of Hwy. 64
      #5628496 - 01/17/13 05:18 PM

I guess any complaint I may have would pale in comparison.

I would find my dedication wavering under such circumstances.

Starman81
Carpal Tunnel

#5628584 - 01/17/13 06:07 PM

Quote:

I got you all beat...

This observatory is located within ten miles of the Manhattan light dome, within one mile of MetLife stadium complex (football, basketball and horse racing), and on the flight path of one of the runways for Newark Airport = planes passing over every ten minutes at approx. 1,000 feet.

Peace, Bill

I heard the full Moon is a difficult averted vision object from there!

csrlice12
Postmaster

Re: Worst state or area in the U.S. for astronomy? new [Re: Starman81]
      #5629634 - 01/18/13 10:27 AM

Not far away, in Philly, they shined searhlights into the sky to point out all those stars drowned out by light pollution......go figure......

Pinbout
Postmaster

Reged: 02/22/10

Loc: nj
      #5629656 - 01/18/13 10:41 AM

Quote:

I got you all beat...

Peace, Bill

Mondays and Weds. I'll have to stop by to see what they got. should get a good view of jupiter...

csrlice12
Postmaster

#5629847 - 01/18/13 12:14 PM

All I know is CLEAR DARK SKIES IN COLORADO TONIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hbanich
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 06/17/05

Loc: Portland, Oregon
      #5630166 - 01/18/13 04:02 PM

As far as cloud cover goes, here are the top 20 cloudiest cities in the US:

http://www.aeb-e-presskit.org/130110cities.html

I live in Portland and can attest to the incessant cloud cover, but we’re ranked only number 5…

csrlice12
Postmaster

Re: Worst state or area in the U.S. for astronomy? new [Re: hbanich]
      #5630203 - 01/18/13 04:19 PM

Someone explain to me why "The 10 Cloudiest US Cities" is on an Egg website (yep, eggs, the chicken kind). First time I saw it, how is it they got a copy of the study and we didn't?????

Now on Cloudy Nights: Which came first--the chicken or the egg???????

JIMZ7
Pooh-Bah

#5633743 - 01/20/13 06:36 PM

Now--is the cloudiest U.S. cites ranked for both daylight and nightime hours?

Jim

Brett Carlson
sage

Reged: 12/12/11

Loc: Rochester, NY
      #5653762 - 01/31/13 07:57 AM

Rochester NY is no better! I blame a newly refigured 16" mirror for the month and a half of cloudyness! I was able to see Jupiter and M42 for a brief few minutes but that has been it!

It can't last forever right? It has to clear up sometime!

JoeR
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 03/07/10

Loc: Columbus, OH
Re: Worst state or area in the U.S. for astronomy? new [Re: Brett Carlson]
      #5653896 - 01/31/13 09:26 AM

Got to be Ohio. We had zero clear nights all this month and February looks to be the same.

csrlice12
Postmaster

Re: Worst state or area in the U.S. for astronomy? new [Re: JoeR]
      #5653904 - 01/31/13 09:30 AM

Supposed to be clear in Denver tonight, must be why I pulled a muscle in my back last night!!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)

Extra information
7 registered and 16 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  cildarith, panhard, tecmage 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5265

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics