Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

General Astronomy >> General Observing and Astronomy

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | (show all)
bumm
sage

Reged: 01/07/11

Loc: Iowa
Re: Astronomy Hobby Male dominated, Why? new [Re: Mary B]
      #5633634 - 01/20/13 05:38 PM

Sewing... About the closest I come to sewing is patching up my winter coat with one of those "Awl for All" leather sewing tools, but my wife likes to sew, and I wind up fixing some of her old sewing machines. That effort got me to join a sewing newsgroup she belongs to looking for info on that, where I go by "greasemonkey."

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
bumm
sage

Reged: 01/07/11

Loc: Iowa
Re: Astronomy Hobby Male dominated, Why? new [Re: Mary B]
      #5633647 - 01/20/13 05:46 PM

Quote:

Another male dominated hobby is shooting, I show up at the range and get stares as I unload. Part of that may be the WWII Russian rifles I collect...

I like to shoot, and the ladies are all VERY welcome at the free public range I go to. I think the guys see it as not only pleasant company, but broader support for the 2nd Amendment. (Don't mean to get political here, but... well, it's TRUE...)

dennyhenke

Reged: 09/07/12

Loc: Fredericktown, MO
Re: Astronomy Hobby Male dominated, Why? new [Re: bumm]
      #5634665 - 01/21/13 10:32 AM

This is a great thread and I'm still reading through it but wanted to post something that I think folks here will find very inspiring! A member of our newly formed local group, the Eastern Ozarks Astronomical Society, has blogged her recent foray into astronomy. Of special note, she has some delightful daughters that are all taking a real interest in astronomy... I've been nicknamed the Star Guy thanks to their field trip out to my place in November... I had the honor of showing them all Jupiter for their first time.

In any case, she's not just diving into the visual aspect of astronomy but all of the science as well. I think you all will greatly appreciate her humor and her detailed thoughts: http://homeschoolblogger.com/daisyblend/2013/01/20/astronomical-scattershooting

kenrenard
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/13/12

Loc: Dunmore, PA
Re: Astronomy Hobby Male dominated, Why? new [Re: dennyhenke]
      #5634733 - 01/21/13 11:09 AM

Denny that's a good post. It's fun to show kids anything. They are really honest with what they see. Good Luck with your new Group.

droid
rocketman

Reged: 08/29/04

Loc: Conneaut, Ohio
Re: Astronomy Hobby Male dominated, Why? new [Re: kenrenard]
      #5634816 - 01/21/13 12:07 PM

Read several of her posts, also book marked her page.
Good blog, and can you pm me your fb page she mentioned???

Tori
sage

Reged: 01/10/12

Loc: Somerville, MA/Warren, NH
Re: Astronomy Hobby Male dominated, Why? new [Re: bumm]
      #5636332 - 01/22/13 07:32 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Another male dominated hobby is shooting, I show up at the range and get stares as I unload. Part of that may be the WWII Russian rifles I collect...

I like to shoot, and the ladies are all VERY welcome at the free public range I go to. I think the guys see it as not only pleasant company, but broader support for the 2nd Amendment. (Don't mean to get political here, but... well, it's TRUE...)

I have yet to find an astronomy gathering or gun shop or show or range where I have not felt welcome, if I am able to ignore the stares. Luckily they don't really bother me, but I know they bother some of my female friends.

And when they find out that I'm REALLY into astronomy or guns they all get even friendlier, to the point where they could make some women really uncomfortable. They don't mean any harm but sometimes it's a little much.

I'm sure there are misogynistic gun shops/ranges, but luckily I haven't found them.

Like someone said above, if I'm out alone looking at the stars I carry as well.

t.r.
Post Laureate

Reged: 02/14/08

Loc: Upstate NY
Re: Astronomy Hobby Male dominated, Why? new [Re: Tori]
      #5636369 - 01/22/13 08:15 AM

Quote:

have yet to find an astronomy gathering or gun shop or show or range where I have not felt welcome, if I am able to ignore the stares. Luckily they don't really bother me, but I know they bother some of my female friends.

Tori, ever watch "The Big Bang Theory"? As Leonard said to Penny in one episode..."Don't worry. They're more scared of you than you are of them".

ErixAdministrator
Toad Lily

Reged: 12/25/04

Loc: Texas, USA
Re: Astronomy Hobby Male dominated, Why? new [Re: Carol L]
      #5636681 - 01/22/13 11:23 AM

Quote:

Actually, i don't see what the big deal is. None of my women friends are interested in astronomy and TBH i've never even thought of asking them 'why'. Even within the boundary of our own gender, we all have different hobbies - and they can be quite varied. For example, some of my friends' hobbies include hunting, fishing, ballroom dancing, snowmobiling, football, soap operas, breeding show dogs, romance novels, needlepoint, web design, stained glass creations, home made wine, jewelry making and carpentry. Different strokes.

This discussion has made me wonder something, though - have any of you Gents asked your non-astronomy male friends why they're not interested? Just curious.

csrlice12
Postmaster

Reged: 05/22/12

Loc: Denver, CO
Re: Astronomy Hobby Male dominated, Why? new [Re: Erix]
      #5636760 - 01/22/13 12:09 PM

"This discussion has made me wonder something, though - have any of you Gents asked your non-astronomy male friends why they're not interested?"

I'm certain the day they come out with a scope painted like a can of Budweiser, scope sales will skyrocket (pun intended).

roscoe
curmudgeon

Reged: 02/04/09

Loc: NW Mass, inches from VT
Re: Astronomy Hobby Male dominated, Why? new [Re: csrlice12]
      #5637767 - 01/22/13 09:06 PM

Quote:

I'm certain the day they come out with a scope painted like a can of Budweiser, scope sales will skyrocket (pun intended).

Yeah, you'd think green laser pointers alone would have brought the boys out!

And, to mirror Tori's comment, I financed my college education making backpacking and mountaineering clothing and equipment, and for several years, sewed really large kites, and in a reverse scenario, it often visibly creeped out the ladies in the fabric store that I was the only guy in there, looking all shaggy mountain-man and all...... I guess it's purely a guy thing, though, to get all goofy friendly, I never once got hit on at the thread rack........

Oh yeah, my Sister and Bro-in law are both serious competition shooters, the guys at her regular range all know her, but it's pretty amazing to watch other guys' faces when she nonchalantly drops six rounds through the same hole in a target......they seldom get all goofy, because they're way too humiliated that a 62-year-old grandmother-looking lady just totally out-shot 'em!

Russ

tecmageModerator
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/13/10

Loc: Glenview, IL
      #5637798 - 01/22/13 09:22 PM

Quote:

"This discussion has made me wonder something, though - have any of you Gents asked your non-astronomy male friends why they're not interested?"

Three of my co-workers were interested in Astronomy, but two of them didn't know anyone in the group had a telescope. I asked one of the guys to pick up a used scope I bought, and he has been hooked since then. He borrowed one of my classic scopes just after Christmas. One of the other guys bought his own scope. The third one is interested in AP.

faackanders2
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/28/11

Re: Astronomy Hobby Male dominated, Why? new [Re: tecmage]
      #5637832 - 01/22/13 09:43 PM

Science and Engineering is predominently male. Since Astronomy is science its' predominently male.

However, when they are kids (pre teens) girls and boys appear to be equally interested. As both turn teens astronomy interest drops off more for girls than boys (boys may feel there is a career potential, whereas girls don't).

All my girls lost interest when they became teens. Some regained interest only when their boyfriend showed interest, and one convinced their boyfriend that it was not cool.

With work and home chores, most women don't have time for hobbies; whereas men take time for their hobbies. Moms often give their all to their kids, and sacrifice all their free time.

I can't even get my wife or kids to look through my telescope anymore, but she tolerates me doing my hobby (but not necessarily me spending money for my hobby).

csrlice12
Postmaster

Re: Astronomy Hobby Male dominated, Why? new [Re: faackanders2]
      #5638386 - 01/23/13 08:19 AM

"With work and home chores, most women don't have time for hobbies;"

hm insulators
Post Laureate

Reged: 01/22/07

#5638812 - 01/23/13 12:14 PM

Quote:

"BTW, I don't sew, knit or crochet. I hate it. My dob is Bronze and my refractor is blue. Don't like pink. But I'm a hell of a cook. Go figure.

Same here, and it really surprized my mom (years and years and years ago) that I loved to cook---and am actually really good at it (so I've been told anyways). Guys like to eat too....and some of us learned to cook. I'm kind of actually the opposite end of the spectrum, I'm a guy who likes Broadway plays, likes being at home (actually prefer it), likes to read....and also LOVES astronomy (I must hate my bank account though, as I'm really good about not keeping all that dirty money in it )

Another guy who likes to cook here. Just found out one of the organic markets has boneless, skinless chicken thighs on sale and I plan to buy some and make lime-wine chicken.

csrlice12
Postmaster

Re: Astronomy Hobby Male dominated, Why? new [Re: hm insulators]
      #5638815 - 01/23/13 12:18 PM

and oddly enough, most chefs are men....

lime-wine chicken......got room for one more?

Asbytec
Guy in a furry hat

Reged: 08/08/07

Loc: La Union, PI
      #5638823 - 01/23/13 12:22 PM

Quote:

Aren't their feet small enough to stand closer to the eyepiece?

csa/montana
Den Mama

Reged: 05/14/05

Loc: montana
Re: Astronomy Hobby Male dominated, Why? new [Re: Asbytec]
      #5638880 - 01/23/13 12:55 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Aren't their feet small enough to stand closer to the eyepiece?

I sit while observing.

csrlice12
Postmaster

Re: Astronomy Hobby Male dominated, Why? new [Re: csa/montana]
      #5638900 - 01/23/13 01:04 PM

Cause we're male and we're dominated?????

Edited by csrlice12 (01/23/13 01:04 PM)

Asbytec
Guy in a furry hat

Reged: 08/08/07

Loc: La Union, PI
Re: Astronomy Hobby Male dominated, Why? new [Re: csa/montana]
      #5638908 - 01/23/13 01:08 PM

Quote:

I sit while observing.

Okay, that's just too funny. Thanks for the chuckle.

I guess I do, too.

You know, maybe because Astronomy is full of toys, men take to the hobby. We like our toys. But, you know, what spurred my interest as a kid was looking at the moon through my father's home built 8" Newt and the idea of the fascinating scale of the universe. It just struck a cord that stayed with me. My sister and even my own daughter and wife just did not take to the hobby. Maybe it's because men and women are wired differently. Not superior or inferior, just wired differently.

Edited by Asbytec (01/23/13 01:17 PM)

lcaldero
sage

Reged: 04/07/11

Loc: Albuquerque, NM
Re: Astronomy Hobby Male dominated, Why? new [Re: Asbytec]
      #5640140 - 01/24/13 07:59 AM

Wow! Shocking news, there are differences between men and women! Seriously, and meaning no disrespect to anyone's family, I am surprised by the number of men who generalize about all women based on their wives and daughters interest in observing.

I am really disappointed by the number of posts proclaiming women's lack of interest in science.

Back to my pink telescopes and feminine pursuits involving children and cooking.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | (show all)

Extra information
13 registered and 20 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  cildarith, panhard, tecmage 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 11333

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics