Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

General Astronomy >> General Observing and Astronomy

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
bunyon
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/23/10

Loc: Winston-Salem, NC
Re: New here, what to look at (visual not ap) new [Re: Ed D]
      #5636703 - 01/22/13 11:36 AM

There is an open cluster coming (M46) that is one of my favorites. A really nice open cluster that contains a little treat (I'll let you read/discover it on your own).

But, as others say, if you don't expect astrophoto like images, there is a lot to look at. Start with the brighter stuff and don't get in a hurry. And don't get frustrated when you inevitably fail to find/see something.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
richard hoyt

Reged: 11/24/12

Re: New here, what to look at (visual not ap) new [Re: bunyon]
      #5637834 - 01/22/13 09:45 PM

Awesome thanks guys. I think this weekend will be fun. I will give you a report once I get some free time.

kfiscus
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 07/09/12

Loc: Albert Lea, MN, USA
Re: New here, what to look at (visual not ap) new [Re: richard hoyt]
      #5638163 - 01/23/13 01:27 AM

I highly recommend that you get a copy of the Sky & Telescope Pocket Sky Atlas. It's probably the best value in astronomy (about $14!). It breaks the sky down into very user-friendly chunks and shows the variety of objects available. I found it to be the most logically organized charts around. The indexes in the back also help you keep track of the Messier, NGC, and Caldwell objects that you find.

ensign
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 12/16/08

Loc: Southwestern Ontario
Re: New here, what to look at (visual not ap) new [Re: kfiscus]
      #5638583 - 01/23/13 10:18 AM

Quote:

I highly recommend that you get a copy of the Sky & Telescope Pocket Sky Atlas. It's probably the best value in astronomy (about $14!). It breaks the sky down into very user-friendly chunks and shows the variety of objects available. I found it to be the most logically organized charts around. The indexes in the back also help you keep track of the Messier, NGC, and Caldwell objects that you find.

+1

Initially I found that I was intimidated by the complexity of star charts. The simplified ones in "Nightwatch" by Terence Dickinson helped me a great deal.

GeneT
Ely Kid

Reged: 11/07/08

Loc: South Texas
Re: New here, what to look at (visual not ap) new [Re: richard hoyt]
      #5643183 - 01/25/13 07:11 PM

All planets, the moon, globular clusters, double stars, nebula, carbon stars--everything!

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
11 registered and 10 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  cildarith, panhard, tecmage 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1902

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics