Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

General Astronomy >> General Observing and Astronomy

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Old Rookie
sage

Reged: 09/05/08

Loc: North Central Ohio
Re: What Finder Do You Use? new [Re: HellsKitchen]
      #5672017 - 02/10/13 09:29 AM

Telrad and 7x50 RACI finder. Got to have both.

Edited by Old Rookie (02/10/13 09:29 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
drbyyz
sage

Reged: 11/04/12

Re: What Finder Do You Use? new [Re: HellsKitchen]
      #5672018 - 02/10/13 09:34 AM

Telrad to get to the closest bright star
8x50 or wide field EP or combination of the two to star hop to my target.

Will most likely be investing in a RACI finder soon as the straight thru is starting to bother my neck.

+1 on the talk about proper alignment. If I'm going to be doing any serious observing I make sure I can put a star dead center in the eyepiece at at least 100x. You want to be able to trust your finder and not go slewing around blindly. More often than not, the object was just outside the EP and you'll end up 2 constellations over in the wrong direction.

City Kid
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/06/09

Loc: Northern Indiana
Re: What Finder Do You Use? new [Re: JayinUT]
      #5672032 - 02/10/13 09:40 AM

I prefer straight through optical finders. I have a Starbeam on my NP101 but the only reason I find it acceptable is the large FOV I can get through the scope itself. For me, right angle finders are useless unless paired with a Telrad or such and I don't want two finders on my scope.

lamplight
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/18/12

Loc: western MA, U.S.
Re: What Finder Do You Use? new [Re: City Kid]
      #5672089 - 02/10/13 10:16 AM

Stellarvue 10x60 (F60M2) on SCT which as has been mentioned , provides its own beautiful widefield views. It's a fast scope and has good eye relief with glasses . I love it if you can't tell. Whenever I have an audience I have them look through both this and the EP as both are great. It's also more stable and precise to align than my orion raci. It's really awesome I'm sorry I sound like a commercial.

THEN I saw they came out with a 2" straight through focuser ($50) that you can use on this finder .. So I ordered one with the straight through for my DOB (not delivered yet) . So you can switch from 1.25" EP (5.something fov) raci, to straight through non correct image 2" EP/focuser. It's pretty cats meow.

Fuzzyguy
professor emeritus

Reged: 12/21/11

Loc: Colorado/Kansas
Re: What Finder Do You Use? new [Re: lamplight]
      #5672123 - 02/10/13 10:47 AM

Interesting thread, thanks for posting it.

I have both a straight through finder and a Rigel (similar to a telrad). Lately I've been using the finder scope (stock Celestron 6x30) exclusively. It's very easy to find a bright star to start the hop and with it's 7* FoV, it shows a pretty large piece of the sky. The stars you can easily see match up well with charts in my PSA. When I get close to my target, I switch to the scope and finish the hop through the EP using a more detailed chart if I need to.

Old Rookie
sage

Reged: 09/05/08

Loc: North Central Ohio
Re: What Finder Do You Use? new [Re: Fuzzyguy]
      #5672742 - 02/10/13 05:36 PM

I was reading these posts and came away quite surprised. People use a finder without checking that it's aligned? Once I set my dob up there are two things I do before I observe. I collimate the optics and once it starts getting dark, I align the telrad and optical finder. I can't imagine using either tool without aligning them first.

Raginar
Postmaster

Reged: 10/19/10

Loc: Rapid CIty, SD
      #5672768 - 02/10/13 05:53 PM

Telrad. My only finder (8x50mm) is repurposed as a guidescope at the moment. I never enjoyed using a finder... magnification was either too much or not enough and I never had an illuminated one so finding the crosshairs was a pain. My telrad is awesome!

FlorinAndrei
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 09/28/10

Loc: California
      #5673107 - 02/10/13 09:29 PM

Telrad or any other 1x finder is useless in a zone with lots of light pollution. So at home I use a 5mW green laser, plus a 9x50 RACI.

If the sky is dark enough, then a 1x finder makes sense. In that case I use a Telrad, especially when the 5mW GLP might annoy other observers nearby.

newtoskies
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/15/12

Loc: SE Ma.
Re: What Finder Do You Use? new [Re: CelestronDaddy]
      #5673679 - 02/11/13 09:30 AM

Dob abd XLT102 both with the stock 6x30 straight through finder.
Rigel with two mounts ( not yet mounted on the dob)

A RACI when I get a 10" dob and maybe the Telrad.

Starman81
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/06/08

Loc: Metro Detroit, MI, USA
Re: What Finder Do You Use? new [Re: newtoskies]
      #5673931 - 02/11/13 12:04 PM

I have a few: Telrad, Rigel Quick Finder, 8x50 RACI, a Multi-Reticle Finder (MRF) and a standard red dot finder, but I use the MRF the most. It maintains alignment, has the best ergonomics for where I can place it and view through it on my 8" dob and rarely dews up. To spice things up, I acquired a RACI and would like to use that in tandem with the MRF or a red dot finder attached.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
9 registered and 18 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  cildarith, panhard, tecmage 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1892

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics