Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

General Astronomy >> General Observing and Astronomy

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
JayinUT
I'm not Sleepy

Reged: 09/19/08

Loc: Utah
What Finder Do You Use?
      #5657938 - 02/02/13 11:18 AM

Just curious what finder you use? Is it a finder scope like the 9x50 RACI? Is it a refractor mounted? Or do you simply use an eyepiece? I am leaving the 9x50 for just the Telrad and the wide field eyepiece which I am finding easier on faint stuff. So what do you use? Thoughts on the eyepiece alone approach with the Telrad.

Edited by JayinUT (02/02/13 05:01 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Carol L

Reged: 07/05/04

Loc: Tomahawk, WI 45N//89W
Re: What Finder Do You Use? new [Re: JayinUT]
      #5658001 - 02/02/13 11:59 AM

I use a red-dot to get into the ballpark, and then a wide fov ep.

kenrenard
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/13/12

Loc: Dunmore, PA
Re: What Finder Do You Use? new [Re: Carol L]
      #5658021 - 02/02/13 12:09 PM

I use a Telrad and a 9 x 50 RACI. I need all the help I can get

Ken

csa/montana
Den Mama

Reged: 05/14/05

Loc: montana
      #5658030 - 02/02/13 12:15 PM

On my 16" dob, I have a Telrad, 8x50 Antares RACI, and a 5mW laser. I use the Telrad almost exclusively. On my 80mm refractor, I have a Stellarview F2 Multi-reticle Reflex finder.

MikeRatcliff
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 06/12/04

Loc: Redlands, CA
Re: What Finder Do You Use? new [Re: csa/montana]
      #5658063 - 02/02/13 12:44 PM

I use a 70mm Gary Russell RACI finder and a Telrad. The RACI is the primary finder for me. Unfortunately, the long slender design of the Russell (allowing it to fit into 50mm rings) cuts off some of the aperture, so it probably is more like a 50mm or 60mm.

The Telrad I admit to using as a glorified red dot finder for getting in the ballpark. And not using the degree spacings of the rings or Telrad finder charts.

It would be interesting to try the wide field eyepiece instead of the RACI as an experiment. It's easier to match up star patterns between the RACI and charts, but you eventually have to get to the eyepiece view anyway. The RACI may have an advantage in not changing eyepieces as much.

Mike

northernontario
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/01/09

Loc: Porcupine, Ontario Canada
Re: What Finder Do You Use? new [Re: csa/montana]
      #5658066 - 02/02/13 12:44 PM

Telrad on the Dob.

On the refractor...telrad.

On the go to SCT....the stock finder scope...until I am lined up, then the finder is no longer required and can go into your back pocket.

jake

John Kuraoka
sage

Reged: 12/12/12

Loc: Sunny San Diego, CA
Re: What Finder Do You Use? new [Re: northernontario]
      #5658093 - 02/02/13 12:53 PM

I use the stock red-dot E-Z Finder that came with my scope. Once it's sighted in, it gets me close enough with my low-power eyepiece.

Special Ed
Postmaster

Reged: 05/18/03

Loc: Greenbrier Co., WV 38N, 80W
Re: What Finder Do You Use? new [Re: John Kuraoka]
      #5658136 - 02/02/13 01:18 PM

I often use my Canon 12x36 image stabilised binoculars to find the target or to get a feel for the star patterns if the target is not detected. Then I use the Telrad on the C8 and star hop using the degree circles. The stock 10x30 finderscope on the C8 isn't much.

Same process with the Astroscan except I use a Rigel Qwikfinder because a Telrad won't work on the scope's stubby, rotund body.

Of course, it should go without saying that one should always use a low power ep during the finding phase but there--I said it anyway.

On my pier mounted C14, all I have to find is the hand controller. (Sorry, Goto is still new to me and it's like magic)

Dennis_S253
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 11/22/11

Loc: West Central Florida
Re: What Finder Do You Use? new [Re: Special Ed]
      #5658155 - 02/02/13 01:29 PM

I use the Celestron 6X30 LER staright through with a 7 degree FOV.

REC
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/20/10

Loc: NC
Re: What Finder Do You Use? new [Re: Dennis_S253]
      #5658165 - 02/02/13 01:33 PM

8x50 on my fractor.

Sorny
professor emeritus

Reged: 03/15/12

Loc: Southern MN
Re: What Finder Do You Use? new [Re: REC]
      #5658321 - 02/02/13 03:10 PM

$20 red-dot celestron on both of my scopes. Illuminated reticle eyepiece to align them, then the red-dot is turned off and ignored as it should be.

Jon Isaacs
Postmaster

Reged: 06/16/04

Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA
      #5658386 - 02/02/13 03:46 PM

Quote:

Just curious what finder you use? Is it a finder scope like the 9x50 RACI? Is it a refractor mounted? Or do you simply use an eyepiece? I am leaving the 9x50 for just the Telrad and the wide field eyepiece which I am finding easier on faint stuff. So what do you use? Thoughts on the eyepiece alone approach?

Jay:

My choice of finders depends on the telescope as well as the conditions. A refractor with a 2 inch focuser and a focal length of 700mm or less provides a 3.5 degree TFoV or greater so a red dot finder to point to the region of interest is all that is required because the scope itself is essentially a super finder.

For longer focal length scopes, Newtonian in the 1200mm + range, I prefer a Telrad and a magnifying finder, usually a 50mm operating at 8x or 9x . If the skies are dark and clear, then it is very often possible to just use the Telrad and a widefield eyepiece though the magnifying finder is a nice fall back. If the skies are not so dark and clear, a magnifying finder is a necessity because there are regions of the sky that are sparsely populated, so there not enough guide stars visible to use the Telrad effectively.

Jon

rathbaster
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 03/21/08

Loc: East Bridgewater, MA
Re: What Finder Do You Use? new [Re: Jon Isaacs]
      #5658403 - 02/02/13 03:53 PM

I use a Telrad on all my scopes and then the widest field of view eyepiece I have once I'm in the area.

-Joe

Edward E
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 03/26/06

Loc: Tucson, Arizona
      #5658405 - 02/02/13 03:54 PM Attachment (9 downloads)

I use an old Edmonds Scientific 5X50 Deluxe finder. It has 12 degree FOV and very good eye relief. Not many of these finders out there anymore. This finder has a propriety "eyepiece" so cannot switch eyepieces with it. Using this finder and Mr. Fred Dase "Hershel 400 Atlas" and there is very little that I cannot find with my C11 or 20" Dob.

Achernar
Postmaster

Reged: 02/25/06

Loc: Mobile, Alabama, USA
      #5658412 - 02/02/13 04:01 PM

I use 50mm straight through finderscopes and Telrads, in tandem with each other and digital setting circles. If it's possible to see it given the local sky conditions, and the telescope, I'll find it.

Taras

droid
rocketman

Reged: 08/29/04

Loc: Conneaut, Ohio
      #5658424 - 02/02/13 04:09 PM

Im currently using a 9x50 finder and telrad on all my scopes.
Working on mounting an 80mm for a finder

Feidb
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 10/09/09

Loc: Nevada
Re: What Finder Do You Use? new [Re: droid]
      #5658577 - 02/02/13 05:38 PM

I have a straight-through 50mm finder (I stopped using brand names to avoid circular arguments... see the eyepiece forum for examples). However, I only use that finder when it's not dark enough or is too cold for my green laser pointer not to work. My primary finder is the green laser pointer. I make sure there are no aircraft in that area of sky or nobody is trying to image there and point to the spot from my star chart. Then, using my usual 18mm (102X) 82 degree starter eyepiece, I mow the lawn until I either find the object or give up and move on to the next one. 90% of the time I find the object.

kfiscus
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 07/09/12

Loc: Albert Lea, MN, USA
Re: What Finder Do You Use? new [Re: Feidb]
      #5658667 - 02/02/13 06:19 PM

Straight 9x50 and Telrad on each scope.

faintfuzzy

Reged: 01/02/13

Loc: Atlanta, North
Re: What Finder Do You Use? new [Re: kfiscus]
      #5658683 - 02/02/13 06:26 PM

Telrads, Rigel Quickfinder, 9x50 RACI, 6x30 straight, red dots, mounted GLP.

CelestronDaddy
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 08/22/09

#5658689 - 02/02/13 06:28 PM

RDF usually and wide EP...

MikeBOKC
Post Laureate

Reged: 05/10/10

Loc: Oklahoma City, OK
Re: What Finder Do You Use? new [Re: CelestronDaddy]
      #5659297 - 02/03/13 02:20 AM

9 x 50 RACI on the big scopes, red dot on the refractor.

Edited by MikeBOKC (02/03/13 02:21 AM)

berobertsmd

Reged: 09/28/09

Loc: Brandon, Mississippi
Re: What Finder Do You Use? new [Re: MikeBOKC]
      #5659837 - 02/03/13 11:53 AM

I use a Telrad with optional variable pulsar module. With the pulsar I'm able to see fainter objects. It was easy DIY install. Now can control brightness and rate of reticle image in the Telrad viewfinder. I also added the 2" riser which makes it much easier to see reticle, especially for objects higher above horizon.

joelimite
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/01/08

Loc: Fayetteville, AR
Re: What Finder Do You Use? new [Re: berobertsmd]
      #5659964 - 02/03/13 01:08 PM

I use a 1x Rigel QuickFinder and a 9x50 RACI finder on my 12-inch Dob. It's the perfect combination for star-hopping. I use the QuickFinder to center on a bright star and then the RACI to hop to my target. On my other scopes, I typically just use a 1x finder of some form or another.

roscoe
curmudgeon

Reged: 02/04/09

Loc: NW Mass, inches from VT
      #5660501 - 02/03/13 06:10 PM

red dot, then RACI with a 12.5 ortho in it, making it a 17x50, then scope.

Russ

FirstSight
Duke of Deneb

Reged: 12/26/05

Loc: Raleigh, NC
Re: What Finder Do You Use? new [Re: roscoe]
      #5660923 - 02/03/13 11:42 PM

On my 12" reflector, I have both:
1) Telrad (which is a dew magnet) and
2) Stellarvue 60mm RACI finderscope with a 24mm Panoptic eyepiece. In darker skies, it provides a worthy panoramic view in its own right.

On my NP-101 refractor, I have a TV Starbeam red-dot finder. Nice range of brightness control options, but only a single, rather large round dot pattern. However, the brightness control can be set to make the dot effectively transparent, yet still bright enough to easily see.

On my Megrez 90 refractor, I have a nice red-dot finder with variable brightness control and several choices of target pattern.

Peshmerga

Reged: 12/25/12

#5661147 - 02/04/13 05:20 AM

9x50 RACI by Orion, came with XT8i.

Sarkikos
Postmaster

Reged: 12/18/07

Loc: Suburban Maryland, USA
      #5661270 - 02/04/13 08:27 AM

On my 10" Dob for dark site trips:

- Telrad to sight on the nearest naked-eye star
- 15x70 RACI finder to star hop to object
- SkySafari Pro on Android to find the way

On telescopes at home when observing planets and the Moon:

- Straight-through 6x30 finder or Red-Dot finder or QuickFinder

On telescopes at home when observing double stars and bright DSO:

- 8x50 RACI or 6x30 RACI, together with a 1x finder, either a Red-Dot or QuickFinder
or
- 8x50 ES straight-through erect-image non-reversed finder

I never use a "finder eyepiece."

Mike

Sarkikos
Postmaster

Re: What Finder Do You Use? new [Re: Special Ed]
      #5661283 - 02/04/13 08:37 AM

Special Ed,

Quote:

Of course, it should go without saying that one should always use a low power ep during the finding phase but there--I said it anyway.

I don't think a low power "finder eyepiece" is always necessary. I never use one. On my 10" Dob, I use a 15x70 finder for most star hopping. I have it closely aligned with the main telescope, so I can go straight from finder scope to moderate or high power eyepiece in the main scope. I don't need to put in a low power eyepiece first.

If there is an accurate fix on the location of the object, you don't really need to see the object itself in the finder.

Mike

csrlice12
Postmaster

Reged: 05/22/12

Loc: Denver, CO
Re: What Finder Do You Use? new [Re: Sarkikos]
      #5661292 - 02/04/13 08:45 AM

Mike is right. If you properly align your finder to the scope, you can use a medium or high power eyepiece and the object will be in the scopes FOV. I've done it with 7mm orthos in my dob and refractor. And, to be truthful, it doesn't take long to align a finderscope. A properly aligned finder can make the difference between a great night and a frustraiting one......

tezster
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 07/14/09

Loc: Missisauga, Canada
Re: What Finder Do You Use? new [Re: csrlice12]
      #5661312 - 02/04/13 09:00 AM

Just a Rigel QF on my dob, primarily to perform the two-star alignment for my wireless DSCs.

On my refractor, just a basic RDF.

Sarkikos
Postmaster

Re: What Finder Do You Use? new [Re: csrlice12]
      #5661364 - 02/04/13 09:35 AM

Randy,

Quote:

If you properly align your finder to the scope, you can use a medium or high power eyepiece and the object will be in the scopes FOV. I've done it with 7mm orthos in my dob and refractor. And, to be truthful, it doesn't take long to align a finderscope. A properly aligned finder can make the difference between a great night and a frustraiting one......

I have the suspicion that many if not most observers don't take the time to align their finders accurately. I find that what helps immensely is to put a crosshair eyepiece in the focuser of the main telescope while I'm aligning the finder. Position Polaris behind the crosshairs of that eyepiece and then adjust the Telrad and your optical finder. This extra bit of effort will pay you back manyfold when star hopping to objects.

Mike

Feidb
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 10/09/09

Loc: Nevada
      #5661393 - 02/04/13 09:51 AM

My finders are dead on when I set up. I start with a magnification of 102X which to some is a medium magnification. The EP is 82 degree. Yet I still have to mow the lawn to some extent because I'm looking at a star chart and aiming the laser at an approximate spot in the sky, many times without nearby bright reference stars. That doesn't mean my finders are not dead on, that means I'm just aiming at what I think is around the exact spot my chart shows. Dead reckoning. I may be off a tad. No big deal. Sometimes I'm dead on, sometimes I'm off a bit. Sometimes I may be dead on but the object is so faint I don't know it until I move the scope around and notice something wrong with the background. Most of the stuff I look for can't be seen in either my 50mm finder, which I don't use much, and definitely can't be seen with my laser. When you are eyeballing an approximate target, there is nothing wrong with starting low and working your way up. Properly aligning your finders goes without saying. I use the top of a mountain or a tower light or some distinct land feature before it gets dark. Once first light happens, I recheck things and make sure the object is centered.

Tony Flanders
Postmaster

Reged: 05/18/06

Loc: Cambridge, MA, USA
      #5661479 - 02/04/13 10:41 AM

Oddly enough, I use a finderscope on the 12.5-inch Dob that lives at my country home, but not on the scopes that I use in the city -- where a finderscope would arguably be more useful.

This is really a matter of portability. My 12.5-inch Dob is already a monster; its 8x50 RACI finder is only a small addition. But the 7-inch Dob that lives in the city is already at the limit of what I can carry in a single load; I'm loath to add any more.

My 100-mm f/6 refractor actually came with a perfectly serviceable 6x30 finderscope, which I replaced with a red-dot finder. It fits better in the case, and somehow seems more aesthetically in keeping with this fairly small scope. Moreover, the scope has a monstrously huge field of view at 15X with my 40-mm wide-field eyepiece.

My 70-mm refractor actually has a smaller field of view because it takes only 1.25-inch eyepieces. Nonetheless I use a red-dot finder with it. Any kind of finderscope, or even a Telrad, would really crimp this scope's portability.

I do often consider adding a finderscope to my 7-inch Dob in addition to the Telrad that I currently use on it. Although this scope has a nice big 2.5-degree field of view, that still leads to pretty long star-hops when my target is 15 degrees from the nearest naked-eye star -- which happens fairly often in some parts of the sky when observing from a city park. A finderscope would definitely be a time-saver. A 6x30 RACI would probably be ideal; I don't see any virtue in an 8x50 finderscope for this particular telescope.

On my 12.5-inch Dob, the 8x50 finderscope is a huge time-saver. For bright objects like M51, I don't refer to my charts at all -- just use the red-circle finder to get in the right part of the sky (which I know by heart), center M51 up in the finderscope, and switch to the main eyepiece.

For faint objects involving intricate star-hops, the 8x50 finderscope gets me quickly to the correct square degree of sky before I start the serious work at the main eyepiece. These objects are typically invisible at low power through the main scope, so they involve a four-step process -- go to the nearest naked-eye star with the red-circle finder, star-hop to the correct square degree with the finderscope, star-hop to the correct 10' field with the low-power eyepiece, and then switch in high power and start looking for real.

jeff5341

Reged: 12/06/12

Loc: North Carolina
      #5661498 - 02/04/13 10:46 AM

Red dot on my Nexstar 8X50 finder scope on my LX200.

csrlice12
Postmaster

Reged: 05/22/12

Loc: Denver, CO
Re: What Finder Do You Use? new [Re: jeff5341]
      #5661520 - 02/04/13 10:55 AM

Telrad and 9X50 RACI on the Dob; 9X50 RACI on the XLT.

Got a question. It appears the Orion finders are anondized like the OTAs (that bronze color). Can these be painted over with enamel, or are there places locally that could "reanondize" it. I would like to change the bronze color over to a blue/cream combination like the Omni scope colors. Any idea on how much it costs to reanondize it?

smallscopefanLeo
sage

Reged: 01/23/11

#5662477 - 02/04/13 08:58 PM

Quote:

Randy,

Quote:

If you properly align your finder to the scope, you can use a medium or high power eyepiece and the object will be in the scopes FOV. I've done it with 7mm orthos in my dob and refractor. And, to be truthful, it doesn't take long to align a finderscope. A properly aligned finder can make the difference between a great night and a frustraiting one......

I have the suspicion that many if not most observers don't take the time to align their finders accurately. I find that what helps immensely is to put a crosshair eyepiece in the focuser of the main telescope while I'm aligning the finder. Position Polaris behind the crosshairs of that eyepiece and then adjust the Telrad and your optical finder. This extra bit of effort will pay you back manyfold when star hopping to objects.

Mike

This is excellent advice in my humble opinion. A cross-hair or reticle eyepieces is worth owning even if just for aiming purposes alone, but to be sure, their value shines on in so many other areas as well, such as getting a good center for goto precision and just plain finding the sweet spot for visual observing.

weedbreeder
journeyman

Reged: 12/15/11

Re: What Finder Do You Use? new [Re: smallscopefanLeo]
      #5662557 - 02/04/13 09:52 PM

I use my celestron 70mm travelscope with RACI diagonal and 32mm omni ep as finder. My main scope is an Orion 120st. Usually, the camera is attached to the main scope. The main scope at f5 sees wider than the finder does at f7.5.

leviathan
sage

Reged: 11/29/11

Loc: Azerbaijan
      #5670935 - 02/09/13 03:47 PM

I use Telrad and got used to it. Recently I found myself very uncomfortable without it on another similar scope of friend.

GeneT
Ely Kid

Reged: 11/07/08

Loc: South Texas
      #5671130 - 02/09/13 05:58 PM

Telrad only. My telescope won't also take an optical finder. I recommend using both a Telrad and an optical finder.

HellsKitchen
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 09/05/08

Loc: Melbourne Australia
Re: What Finder Do You Use? new [Re: GeneT]
      #5671352 - 02/09/13 08:09 PM

Stellarvue 60mm on my 12" Dob and an 8x50 RACI on the 8 incher. Both scopes also have a Telrad.

Old Rookie
sage

Loc: North Central Ohio
Re: What Finder Do You Use? new [Re: HellsKitchen]
      #5672017 - 02/10/13 09:29 AM

Telrad and 7x50 RACI finder. Got to have both.

Edited by Old Rookie (02/10/13 09:29 AM)

drbyyz
sage

Reged: 11/04/12

Re: What Finder Do You Use? new [Re: HellsKitchen]
      #5672018 - 02/10/13 09:34 AM

Telrad to get to the closest bright star
8x50 or wide field EP or combination of the two to star hop to my target.

Will most likely be investing in a RACI finder soon as the straight thru is starting to bother my neck.

+1 on the talk about proper alignment. If I'm going to be doing any serious observing I make sure I can put a star dead center in the eyepiece at at least 100x. You want to be able to trust your finder and not go slewing around blindly. More often than not, the object was just outside the EP and you'll end up 2 constellations over in the wrong direction.

City Kid
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/06/09

Loc: Northern Indiana
      #5672032 - 02/10/13 09:40 AM

I prefer straight through optical finders. I have a Starbeam on my NP101 but the only reason I find it acceptable is the large FOV I can get through the scope itself. For me, right angle finders are useless unless paired with a Telrad or such and I don't want two finders on my scope.

lamplight
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/18/12

Loc: western MA, U.S.
Re: What Finder Do You Use? new [Re: City Kid]
      #5672089 - 02/10/13 10:16 AM

Stellarvue 10x60 (F60M2) on SCT which as has been mentioned , provides its own beautiful widefield views. It's a fast scope and has good eye relief with glasses . I love it if you can't tell. Whenever I have an audience I have them look through both this and the EP as both are great. It's also more stable and precise to align than my orion raci. It's really awesome I'm sorry I sound like a commercial.

THEN I saw they came out with a 2" straight through focuser ($50) that you can use on this finder .. So I ordered one with the straight through for my DOB (not delivered yet) . So you can switch from 1.25" EP (5.something fov) raci, to straight through non correct image 2" EP/focuser. It's pretty cats meow.

Fuzzyguy
sage

Reged: 12/21/11

Loc: Colorado/Kansas
Re: What Finder Do You Use? new [Re: lamplight]
      #5672123 - 02/10/13 10:47 AM

Interesting thread, thanks for posting it.

I have both a straight through finder and a Rigel (similar to a telrad). Lately I've been using the finder scope (stock Celestron 6x30) exclusively. It's very easy to find a bright star to start the hop and with it's 7* FoV, it shows a pretty large piece of the sky. The stars you can easily see match up well with charts in my PSA. When I get close to my target, I switch to the scope and finish the hop through the EP using a more detailed chart if I need to.

Old Rookie
sage

Loc: North Central Ohio
Re: What Finder Do You Use? new [Re: Fuzzyguy]
      #5672742 - 02/10/13 05:36 PM

I was reading these posts and came away quite surprised. People use a finder without checking that it's aligned? Once I set my dob up there are two things I do before I observe. I collimate the optics and once it starts getting dark, I align the telrad and optical finder. I can't imagine using either tool without aligning them first.

Raginar
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/19/10

Loc: Rapid CIty, SD
      #5672768 - 02/10/13 05:53 PM

Telrad. My only finder (8x50mm) is repurposed as a guidescope at the moment. I never enjoyed using a finder... magnification was either too much or not enough and I never had an illuminated one so finding the crosshairs was a pain. My telrad is awesome!

FlorinAndrei
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 09/28/10

Loc: California
      #5673107 - 02/10/13 09:29 PM

Telrad or any other 1x finder is useless in a zone with lots of light pollution. So at home I use a 5mW green laser, plus a 9x50 RACI.

If the sky is dark enough, then a 1x finder makes sense. In that case I use a Telrad, especially when the 5mW GLP might annoy other observers nearby.

newtoskies
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/15/12

Loc: SE Ma.
      #5673679 - 02/11/13 09:30 AM

Dob abd XLT102 both with the stock 6x30 straight through finder.
Rigel with two mounts ( not yet mounted on the dob)

A RACI when I get a 10" dob and maybe the Telrad.

Starman81
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/06/08

Loc: Metro Detroit, MI, USA
Re: What Finder Do You Use? new [Re: newtoskies]
      #5673931 - 02/11/13 12:04 PM

I have a few: Telrad, Rigel Quick Finder, 8x50 RACI, a Multi-Reticle Finder (MRF) and a standard red dot finder, but I use the MRF the most. It maintains alignment, has the best ergonomics for where I can place it and view through it on my 8" dob and rarely dews up. To spice things up, I acquired a RACI and would like to use that in tandem with the MRF or a red dot finder attached.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
2 registered and 13 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  cildarith, panhard, tecmage 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1794

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics