Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green GuÖ uh, User

General Astronomy >> General Observing and Astronomy

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)
SKYGZR
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 08/14/09

Loc: Planet Earth, Milky Way Galaxy...
Re: Do you go observing by yourself to ur fav place? new [Re: jpcannavo]
      #5695688 - 02/22/13 09:36 PM

I prefer "alone" and remote, yet since the site is astronomer friendly, sometimes have "company" (and perhaps a few "locals" during hunting season.) Nothing like a week alone under the night sky, no internet, cell phone (don't have one anyway), lights, "city noise", etc..Read, work on AP during the day, view, AP during the night....I Love the Night<<a song title for those who know<<same group/band also has a song titled: Astronomy<< no cheating (ie; looking it up on the internet.)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Jason D
Postmaster

Reged: 10/21/06

Loc: California
Re: Do you go observing by yourself to ur fav place? new [Re: City Kid]
      #5695713 - 02/22/13 09:53 PM

Quote:

..surrounded by woods and anything coming out of the woods at a high rate of speed would probably be on me

The worst part is when you are fully preoccupied with observation. I once was alone on the hills and have been at the eyepiece for few minutes but when I took by eye off the eyepiece there was a Raccoon few feet away from me just staring at me and probably wondering what the heck I was doing in its backyard. It startled me to death.
Jason

jrbarnett
Eyepiece Hooligan

Reged: 02/28/06

Loc: Petaluma, CA
Re: Do you go observing by yourself to ur fav place? new [Re: MikeBOKC]
      #5695729 - 02/22/13 10:00 PM

Mike, I always have thought that you have a real purty mouth...

- Jim

jrbarnett
Eyepiece Hooligan

Re: Do you go observing by yourself to ur fav place? new [Re: Motokid600]
      #5695750 - 02/22/13 10:13 PM

Nah. I've observed adjacent to ruins where pot polished and marrow-split (presumably cannibalized) human remains and a corprolite containing human blood components were found. Creepy? Nah. COOL!

- Jim

jrbarnett
Eyepiece Hooligan

Re: Do you go observing by yourself to ur fav place? new [Re: Mike B]
      #5695804 - 02/22/13 10:44 PM

I've seen wild feral pigs and mountain lion prints in your lovely scrub oak central coast hills...Don't count out the possibility of getting 'et.

- Jim

jrbarnett
Eyepiece Hooligan

Re: Do you go observing by yourself to ur fav place? new [Re: kansas skies]
      #5695814 - 02/22/13 10:48 PM

Nah. Just shoot first. Plenty of time for questions afterwards. It's the American way.

But I've discarded my firearms. Too messy and personal. I now prefer my drones.

- Jim

psandelle
professor emeritus

Reged: 06/18/08

Loc: Los Angeles
Re: Do you go observing by yourself to ur fav place? new [Re: jrbarnett]
      #5695911 - 02/23/13 12:07 AM

Jim - I found installing laser deathrays into my orbiting space telescope is more cost-effective than drones - and does double duty. You gotta have real bucks for a fleet of drones....

Paul

SKYGZR
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Do you go observing by yourself to ur fav place? new [Re: SKYGZR]
      #5695973 - 02/23/13 02:01 AM

Quote:

AP during the night....I Love the Night<<a song title for those who know<<same group/band also has a song titled: Astronomy<< no cheating (ie; looking it up on the internet.)

Oh yea, forgot the song "Workshop of the Telescopes"

SKYGZR
scholastic sledgehammer

#5695983 - 02/23/13 02:16 AM

Workshop Lyrics:

By Silverfish Imperetrix whose incorrupted eye Sees through the charms of doctors and their wives By Salamander, Drake, and the power that was undine Rise to claim Saturn, ring and sky
By those who see with their eyes close They know me by my black telescope
Your green tree mantle from which these things derive A lens of quartz and refract spoke That crystal lens whose crystal rope Once bound me to those doctors and wives
When my vision was oh, so cloudy And I saw things through two eyes
I am a sailor on the raging depths And I know a thing or two Back to the corner mates and over the side Yes, I know a thing or two
By Silverfish Imperetrix whose incorrupted eye Sees through the charms of doctors and their wives By Salamander, Drake, and the power that was undine Rise to claim Saturn, ring and sky
By those who see with their eyes closed You'll know me by my black telescope
Before my great conversion when the ridge was closed Before my visit to the workshop of telescopes
By those who see with their eyes closed You'll know me by my black telescope

SKYGZR
scholastic sledgehammer

#5695985 - 02/23/13 02:17 AM

Astronomy Lyrics:

Clock strikes twelve and moon drops burst Out at you from their hiding place Like acid and oil on a madman's face His reason tends to fly away
Like lesser birds on the four winds Like silver scrapes in May And now the sand's become a crust Most of you have gone away
Come Susie dear, let's take a walk Just out there upon the beach I know you'll soon be married And you want to know where winds come from
Well, it's never said at all On the map that Carrie reads Behind the clock back there you know At the Four Winds Bar
Hey, hey, hey, hey
Four winds at the Four Winds Bar Two doors [Incomprehensible] and windows barred One door to let to take you in The other one just mirrors it
Hey, hey, hey, hey
Hellish glare and inference The other one's a duplicate The Queenly flux, eternal light Or the light that never warms
Yes the light that never, never warms Or the light that never, never warms Never warms, never warms
The clock strikes twelve and moon drops burst Out at you from their hiding place Miss Carrie nurse and Susie dear Would find themselves at Four Winds Bar
It's the nexus of the crisis And the origin of storms Just the place to hopelessly Encounter time and then came me
Hey, hey, hey, hey Hey, hey, hey, hey
Call me Desdinova, eternal light These gravely digs of mine Will surely prove a sight And don't forget my dog, fixed and consequent
Astronomy, a star Astronomy, a star Astronomy, a star Astronomy, a star

SKYGZR
scholastic sledgehammer

#5695986 - 02/23/13 02:18 AM

I Love the Night Lyrics:

That night her kiss told me it was over I walked out late into the dark The misty gloom seemed to soak up my sorrow And further I went on I felt a spreadin' calm
Then suddenly my eyes were bathed in light And the lovely lady in white was by my side She said, "Like me I see youíre walking alone Wonít you please stay?" I couldn't look away
She said, "I love the night The day is okay and the sun can be fun But I live to see those rays slip away"
"I love the night Thereís so much that I can show and give to you If you will welcome me tonight"
"If only you had been there, my dear We could have shared this together"
No mortal was meant to know such wonder One look in the mirror told me so Come darkness, Iíll see her again Yes, Iím gonna go ícause now I know
I love the night The day is okay and the sun can be fun But I live to see those rays slip away
I love the night I love the night I love the night

Bakes

Reged: 01/06/09

Loc: Stratford, CT
Re: Do you go observing by yourself to ur fav place? new [Re: Jason D]
      #5697427 - 02/23/13 09:56 PM

Quote:

Quote:

..surrounded by woods and anything coming out of the woods at a high rate of speed would probably be on me

The worst part is when you are fully preoccupied with observation. I once was alone on the hills and have been at the eyepiece for few minutes but when I took by eye off the eyepiece there was a Raccoon few feet away from me just staring at me and probably wondering what the heck I was doing in its backyard. It startled me to death.
Jason

The same thing happened to me. But in a suburban white zone backyard.

I'm out observing by the garage with a hood over my head. Suddenly I have the feeling I'm not alone. I flip back the hood and there I see the neighborhood raccoon not three feet from me. He was probably annoyed that I was blocking his path to the garbage cans.

Anyway, knowing their reputation for nastiness(and rabies!), I yelled at him as loud as I could. At the same instant he hissed at me...

...and we both ran off in opposite directions!

SKYGZR
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Do you go observing by yourself to ur fav place? new [Re: Bakes]
      #5697725 - 02/24/13 02:41 AM

Scared E Cat's....

Edited by tecmage (02/24/13 10:17 AM)

Mike B
Starstruck

Reged: 04/06/05

Loc: shake, rattle, & roll, CA
Re: Do you go observing by yourself to ur fav place? new [Re: Bakes]
      #5697973 - 02/24/13 10:05 AM

"Wild" animules who are a bit too familiar with people, like 'coons f'rinstance, are probably more of a danger in the our neighborhood than the truly wild ones one might encounter in the boondocks.

Edited by Mike B (02/24/13 04:40 PM)

csrlice12
Postmaster

Reged: 05/22/12

Loc: Denver, CO
Re: Do you go observing by yourself to ur fav place? new [Re: Mike B]
      #5698027 - 02/24/13 10:37 AM

I don't go observing with anyone I can't outrun........

bryguy27007

Reged: 03/09/09

Loc: Minnesota
Re: Do you go observing by yourself to ur fav place? new [Re: jpcannavo]
      #5698653 - 02/24/13 05:21 PM

Quote:

Setting aside issues of safety, my best observing memories are from a cross country trip with a 10 inch Dob. There is something about the solitude, under a dark sky, with the silhouette of mountains in the distance. Just you, the sounds of coyotes and 10's to millions of light years of distance. There is a magic to that, that nothing else quite reproduces.

Oh knock it off, you're making me anxious to get back out under the night sky (not in the city).

I would just like to add that I hate racoons, and they might be the only thing in the world that I hate. Always freak me out during my camping trips.

Raginar
Postmaster

Reged: 10/19/10

Loc: Rapid CIty, SD
Re: Do you go observing by yourself to ur fav place? new [Re: SeptemberEquinox]
      #5699175 - 02/25/13 12:21 AM

I observe alone... from my backyard

Honestly, I don't go out to dark sky locations. It'd be nice... but I don't want to pack up all the gear and drive.

Mike B
Starstruck

Reged: 04/06/05

Loc: shake, rattle, & roll, CA
Re: Do you go observing by yourself to ur fav place? new [Re: Raginar]
      #5699774 - 02/25/13 12:28 PM

Hey, schweet "backyard" ya got there, Chris! Flipped thru your "shed" link... nice job.

Didn't see mentioned what your sky's "darkness" was- mag __?
Figured it must be pretty decent, if you're doing A/P...

Matt Wallin

Reged: 01/29/12

Loc: Portland, OR
Re: Do you go observing by yourself to ur fav place? new [Re: MawkHawk]
      #5702278 - 02/26/13 06:58 PM

I am lucky in that there is a state park with a hilltop picnic area that astronomers are allowed to use at night, for the usual $5 day-use fee, of course! They even have red lighting in the restrooms. I usually head up there alone, but if it's a decent night near the New Moon but you can usually count on a couple others up being up there too. Sometimes I'm alone at several of the other more remote and rustic sites, but with all the solo backpacking I've done, I know there aren't too many animals that I should fear in the night. I do have a CCW, and my 9mm is usually on my person when I'm not headed to the state park, but that is for the sketchy methheads you run across at strange hours in rural places. I have had some very enjoyable observing experiences with the guys I have met up at the park, but I also very much enjoy my solitude with the Cosmos too.

Edited by Matt Wallin (02/26/13 07:06 PM)

Starman81
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/06/08

Loc: Metro Detroit, MI, USA
Re: Do you go observing by yourself to ur fav place? new [Re: Matt Wallin]
      #5702447 - 02/26/13 08:50 PM

Quote:

I am lucky in that there is a state park with a hilltop picnic area that astronomers are allowed to use at night, for the usual $5 day-use fee, of course! They even have red lighting in the restrooms. I usually head up there alone, but if it's a decent night near the New Moon but you can usually count on a couple others up being up there too. Sometimes I'm alone at several of the other more remote and rustic sites, but with all the solo backpacking I've done, I know there aren't too many animals that I should fear in the night. I do have a CCW, and my 9mm is usually on my person when I'm not headed to the state park, but that is for the sketchy methheads you run across at strange hours in rural places. I have had some very enjoyable observing experiences with the guys I have met up at the park, but I also very much enjoy my solitude with the Cosmos too.

So if someone lists a 9mm in their sig, it could be a lot different than the 9mm in mine (ES100)?

Seriously though, I go observing with my observing buddy unless I am in my backyard or doing outreach. One day when I get my other 9 milli I can go out by myself

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 6 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  cildarith, panhard, tecmage 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3809

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics