Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

General Astronomy >> General Observing and Astronomy

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | (show all)
buddyjesus
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 07/07/10

Loc: Davison, Michigan
Re: COSMOS remake coming spring 2014 new [Re: jrbarnett]
      #5809967 - 04/20/13 02:10 AM

I agree with you jim. Brian Cox would be an excellent choice.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
JayinUT
I'm not Sleepy

Reged: 09/19/08

Loc: Utah
Re: COSMOS remake coming spring 2014 new [Re: buddyjesus]
      #5811488 - 04/20/13 06:19 PM

I have to agree with Brian Cox. I really like how approach and deliver.

Dave74
sage

Reged: 10/23/12

Loc: Gelatinous, MA
Re: COSMOS remake coming spring 2014 new [Re: JayinUT]
      #5811503 - 04/20/13 06:29 PM

Great thread, MikeBOKC. I'm really looking forward to this. I hope they do it right. I think they will.

Astrodj
professor emeritus

Reged: 08/24/11

Loc: Missouri
Re: COSMOS remake coming spring 2014 new [Re: Dave74]
      #5812237 - 04/21/13 02:21 AM

Place me in the Brian Cox camp for Cosmos also.

I can just hear the Fox News personalities off (or maybe on) air: "Hey, there's gonna be a show about stars and the milky way universe like that movie Jodie Foster was in."

csrlice12
Postmaster

Reged: 05/22/12

Loc: Denver, CO
Re: COSMOS remake coming spring 2014 new [Re: Astrodj]
      #5812577 - 04/21/13 09:30 AM

Nah, too sciency. There be monsters there......

LivingNDixie
TSP Chowhound

Reged: 04/23/03

Loc: Trussville, AL
Re: COSMOS remake coming spring 2014 new [Re: csrlice12]
      #5812953 - 04/21/13 12:12 PM

Another huge Brain Cox fan. I wonder if Prof Cox was trying to get the job for this series since he put a huge plug to Cosmos in his most recent series Wonders of the Universe.

rockethead26
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/21/09

Loc: Arizona, USA
Re: COSMOS remake coming spring 2014 new [Re: LivingNDixie]
      #5813005 - 04/21/13 12:48 PM

I really like Brian Cox, too. His sincerity and presentation are wonderful. As far as the new Cosmos series goes, I have no issues with Neil deGrasse Tyson and I think he is very good at getting the general public interested in the sciences. I'm sure he will do a good job on the series.

Daniel Guzas
professor emeritus

Reged: 11/20/10

Loc: Bethlehem NH/ Boston MA
Re: COSMOS remake coming spring 2014 new [Re: LivingNDixie]
      #5813032 - 04/21/13 01:03 PM

I knew about this remake of the wonderful Carl Sagan series but didn't realize that it was not going to be on a PBS network. I agree it is good that it will be on a major network as it will be in front of a larger audience, however ther is something to be said about having uninterrupted programming. Which is why I love PBS so much because it lets your mind absorb the information as a whole. Not as sound bites between mindless commercials.

I would love it if there were major sponsors on the networks which would step up and sponsor minimal commercial interruptions. Sponsors who have a vested interest in the furthering of science and the exploration of space. I think that would go a long way in impressing the public that there is a major driving force behind this research and willingness to look further than our own world. And it is a viable industry to get into and contribute to the world.

I see opportunities for private enterprises like  Space X, Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Virgin Galactic, etc. And many more HERE to promote their commitment to the venture. To have their advertising put in to this context will allow these companies propel into the forefront of the general publics minds.

There is a great opportunity here if some of the private enterprises jump on board and sponsor this series. And sponsor segments without the lame 15 second sound bites we are used to seeing. Maybe every 30 mins there is a thoughtful advertisement of one of these companies to really engage the public. I really hope they see the importance of this to them as well as the overall furthering of the publics interest.

I hope this doesn't disappoint. It really can be a turning point for all of us and for science as well.

amicus sidera
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/14/11

Loc: East of the Sun, West of the M...
      #5814332 - 04/21/13 10:37 PM

Quote:

I like the UK's Brian Cox for the role.

- Jim

Brian should have stayed in Dare... Out Of The Silence is one of the very best AOR/melodic rock albums ever made (I believe that Prof. Cox is the gentleman on the far right of the album cover in the preceding link).

Seriously, why do a remake of Cosmos in the first place? It is a thing-in-itself, and any attempt to recreate it is almost surely bound to fall short of the original. Surely the idea pool isn't so dry that something a bit different couldn't be tried?

jrbarnett
Eyepiece Hooligan

Reged: 02/28/06

Loc: Petaluma, CA
Re: COSMOS remake coming spring 2014 new [Re: amicus sidera]
      #5815606 - 04/22/13 04:04 PM

I suspect it's more of an update than a remake. We have learned a lot new in the fields of cosmology, planetology, biology and physics in the intervening thirty years. Ideological tensions between superpowers is no longer the greatest threat to the survival of the species. And now we have iPhones, 24-hour supermarkets, the Internet, hybrid and electric cars, amateur H-alpha solar equipment, CCD imaging devices and affordable apochromatic triplets.

I hope it's not a re-tread, but instead builds on the foundation laid by Sagan.

Regards,

Jim

BlueGrass
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 07/25/09

Loc: Wasatch Front, UT
      #5816488 - 04/22/13 10:33 PM

Agree Jim. Hubble, Spitzer, and the various other modern large telescopes around the world have expanded our views and understanding of the Universe. I hope they dedicate the necessary time in the episodes to dark matter / energy, Hubble Deep Field, updated mission information from Galileo, Cassini... so much has happened since the original series.

Classic8
professor emeritus

Reged: 04/12/06

Loc: Naperville, IL, USA
Re: COSMOS remake coming spring 2014 new [Re: BlueGrass]
      #5817093 - 04/23/13 10:00 AM

What are they going to call it? "Cosmos II: The Revenge of Sagan"? :-)

amicus sidera
Post Laureate

Re: COSMOS remake coming spring 2014 new [Re: Classic8]
      #5817095 - 04/23/13 10:01 AM

csrlice12
Postmaster

Reged: 05/22/12

Loc: Denver, CO
      #5817585 - 04/23/13 02:06 PM

"I would love it if there were major sponsors on the networks which would step up and sponsor minimal commercial interruptions." Hey, we're talking ENTERTAINMENT media; Nah, less commercial time reduces profits, what good is a program if'n you can't sell commercials....Beside's the more commercials, the less you have to spend on actual programming.......

amicus sidera
Post Laureate

Re: COSMOS remake coming spring 2014 new [Re: csrlice12]
      #5817618 - 04/23/13 02:13 PM

If this new series is presented with commercial breaks, it won't be very effective; at least, not to the degree or in the manner that the original series was, regardless of content.

jrbarnett
Eyepiece Hooligan

#5821069 - 04/24/13 11:23 PM

S'ok. It'll be available on demand and on DVD shortly after broadcast; something that the original series had to wait 2 decades to attain. It's shocking to think, but the original Cosmos aired pre-Internet in the Beatmax heyday.

http://www.hrrc.org/Image/betamax.jpg

- Jim

herrointment
Post Laureate

Reged: 03/12/11

Loc: North of Hwy. 64
      #5821082 - 04/24/13 11:31 PM

And I was parked in front of the Quasar for each original episode.

jrbarnett
Eyepiece Hooligan

Re: COSMOS remake coming spring 2014 new [Re: rockethead26]
      #5821084 - 04/24/13 11:32 PM

"As far as the new Cosmos series goes, I have no issues with Neil deGrasse Tyson and I think he is very good at getting the general public interested in the sciences."

That's a really good point. PBS and Fox are totally different networks with a totally different demographic in their audience. DeGrasse will probably play better to a mainstream mass-market audience than a Sagan-esque host would. For this to be a success for Fox, they have to get people to tune in. It will have to be easily digestible, accessible and entertaining. The producers probably had a very good notion of what kind of host would be needed to "hook" the network's average viewer. Commercial television is a business in the end and I definitely think DeGrasse is more marketable to the average Joe than Cox. Besides, Cox ain't even an Amur'can.

- Jim

celtictexan

Reged: 04/02/13

Loc: Amarillo Texas
      #5822244 - 04/25/13 01:52 PM

I googled this story and it has Seth McFarland as the lead in the remake.

MikeBOKC
Post Laureate

Reged: 05/10/10

Loc: Oklahoma City, OK
Re: COSMOS remake coming spring 2014 new [Re: celtictexan]
      #5822289 - 04/25/13 02:15 PM

One of the most intriguing things about this is that McFarland apparently met Ann Druyan, Sagan's widow and the custodian of his copyrights and such some years ago and it turns out he is quite the science geek and is very serious about this project. Who would have guessed? As I noted in my original post, I think this has real potential to broaden the appeal of astronomy to a much wider audience.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | (show all)

Extra information
12 registered and 17 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  cildarith, panhard, tecmage 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 7677

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics