Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

General Astronomy >> General Observing and Astronomy

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | (show all)
MikeBOKC
Post Laureate

Reged: 05/10/10

Loc: Oklahoma City, OK
COSMOS remake coming spring 2014
      #5799447 - 04/14/13 09:09 PM

The sequel/remake of the famed Carl Sagan series COSMOS from 1980 is currently scheduled for broadcast on FOX network sometime in the spring of next year. It will feature Neil deGrasse Tyson in Sagan's role as moderator, with Sagan's widow Anne Druyan and Steven Soter, a collaborator on the original series, in key production roles.

There are a lot of folks on this forum who took their first dive into astronomy as a result of those 13 weeks of viewing on PBS 33 years ago. It occurs to me that the new COSMOS, to be broadcast on a major network, will draw major public attention and a very large audience. It just might be one of the largest boosts to our hobby since Halley, given all the new knowledge that has emerged since 1980. Imagine what Sagan could have done with images from the Huygens probe descending to Titan, or Curiosity's snapshots from Mars! And imagine what the producers are probably doing right now with all the new special effects technology to make this a stunning series! I would bet that FOX will promote this series heavily, and it would not surprise me to see it become a major national hit, with ratings far beyond those of the original PBS series, which was only matched on PBS by the Ken Burns Civil War series years later.

Here is my suggestion: local astronomy clubs should start planning now to host major public star parties, perhaps
in conjunction with their local FOX affiliates, on the 13 nights when the COSMOS episodes air. It might be that some of those local stations would set up large screens for public viewing, which would draw substantial crowds. I can bet that telescope dealers are anticipating COSMOS with glee, and astronomy clubs could see dramatic increases in membership and interest as well. This really could be one of the most amazing boosts to our hobby in decades.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
d00d
sage

Reged: 02/24/12

Loc: So Cal
Re: COSMOS remake coming spring 2014 new [Re: MikeBOKC]
      #5799586 - 04/14/13 10:36 PM

Neil deGrasse Tyson is awesome! A for sure series to watch, thanks for the heads up!

jrbarnett
Eyepiece Hooligan

Reged: 02/28/06

Loc: Petaluma, CA
Re: COSMOS remake coming spring 2014 new [Re: d00d]
      #5799622 - 04/14/13 11:08 PM

Pluto's revenge: no one will watch.

http://www.theverge.com/2012/3/26/2903224/dr-neil-degrasse-tyson-killing-plut...

Karma can be a real BeehIveflowerpaTCH.

- Jim

buddyjesus
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 07/07/10

Loc: Davison, Michigan
Re: COSMOS remake coming spring 2014 new [Re: jrbarnett]
      #5799657 - 04/14/13 11:40 PM

funny Jim.

I am hoping it is as popular and quality as recent astronomy popularizing programming on the BBC by Brian Cox like "Stargazing Live!" or the original "Cosmos"

csrlice12
Postmaster

Reged: 05/22/12

Loc: Denver, CO
Re: COSMOS remake coming spring 2014 new [Re: buddyjesus]
      #5799718 - 04/15/13 12:26 AM

I'm afraid it will be a lot of pretty pictures and computer graphics and little science or thought provoking questions....it was the original series strong point.

buddyjesus
Carpal Tunnel

Re: COSMOS remake coming spring 2014 new [Re: csrlice12]
      #5799857 - 04/15/13 03:11 AM

we all get different things out of it. what I thought was the strongpoint was the dialogue.

newtoskies
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/15/12

Loc: SE Ma.
      #5800034 - 04/15/13 09:01 AM

oh that should be very cool to watch. I have all the Universe type docs recorded from the Discovery channel and watch them over and over.
I found Sagen's 'Cosmos' book at the thrift store, quickly glanced through it.

Bandit13
sage

Reged: 09/20/06

Loc: N.W. Arkansas
      #5800045 - 04/15/13 09:05 AM

It will be good for the hobby, and with Neil deGrasse Tyson it will undoubtedly be witty and intelligently written. What I will miss the most from the original series would probably be the unusual meter that Sagan used in his dialogue, with his pauses and emphasis. It was always easy for me to listen to him, and he was able to make the hard to grasp ideas easier for a young person to understand. The new series will be good though, can't wait.

Greyhaven
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/11/04

Loc: Greater downtown Maine
      #5800158 - 04/15/13 10:19 AM

I will be disappointed if Dr. Tyson attempts a redo of the original Cosmos by Sagan. I enjoy Dr. Tyson and he is a talented teacher of popular astronomy, he tends to place way too much weight to (P) or pluto's place in the solar system and I found his program on the subject aimed at the Jr. High School level student. I guess I hope he has the show stand on it's own and not on the shoulders of the work of Sagan. Dr.Tyson is a scientist and should be able to do great things with modern astronomy. I can say that using a host with a true deep a knowledge of astronomy should give more clarity to many modern theories in cosmology. I watch almost all of the series on our science/ hobby and although I enjoy certain celebrities narration of Astronomy I don't feel that they're doing any more than reading a script and have no real knowledge or understanding of the subject. I find most series torn between special effects and the truth.
Be Well
Grey

csrlice12
Postmaster

Re: COSMOS remake coming spring 2014 new [Re: Greyhaven]
      #5800172 - 04/15/13 10:26 AM

That's my fear, with today's media it will be all fluff and pretty pictures; science and any thought provoking content will be left on the edit room floor.....Carl, we miss you.

Took the "Cosmos" course (used Carl Sagan's book) at UNM in the late 80s. Best college course I ever took. Oddly enough, it was a Philosophy course.........

Classic8
professor emeritus

Reged: 04/12/06

Loc: Naperville, IL, USA
      #5805126 - 04/17/13 06:07 PM

I got interested in Astronomy after reading the book Cosmos. I never saw the TV series until much later. I do agree that Sagan had a way of speaking that was very clear. But it was new then too, I don't think a new series like that will have anywhere near the impact of the original.

GeneT
Ely Kid

Reged: 11/07/08

Loc: South Texas
      #5805194 - 04/17/13 06:35 PM

I watched the original, and gave the series to our kids for Christmas. I don't know if I want to watch the followup. I really don't care to, but I might.

buddyjesus
Carpal Tunnel

Re: COSMOS remake coming spring 2014 new [Re: GeneT]
      #5805212 - 04/17/13 06:47 PM

I am not a TV person, but would/will watch it online.

jrbarnett
Eyepiece Hooligan

Re: COSMOS remake coming spring 2014 new [Re: GeneT]
      #5805291 - 04/17/13 07:17 PM

I'm on the fence too, to be honest.

Ann Druyan is involved, at least a little
It's an opportunity to expose a new generation to bleeding edge cosmology

Dislikes:

Fox, a commercial network, rather than PBS, a non-commercial network
Degrasse Tyson in Sagan's role

It's a pity that PBS couldn't have handled the remake and hired a true intellectual rather than a showman. Though Neil's sense of style fits the Fox three-ring-circus vibe pretty well; better than any hard scientist would have fit in.

Here's the thing. Agree or disagree with Sagan on the Big Questions, you still were interested in hearing what he thought. Does anyone know or even care what Degrasse Tyson thinks - about anything?

Still, I think I'll give it a chance. It might be surprisingly authentic and true to its roots. The science of Cosmos is definitely due for a refresh and update.

- Jim

Edited by jrbarnett (04/17/13 07:20 PM)

guangtou
sage

Reged: 03/27/10

#5806346 - 04/18/13 10:01 AM

In defense of Dr. Tyson...

I saw him in Memphis a few years ago and what impressed me most was that he remained at the reception after his talk until everyone had asked there questions. In fact, at the end, a good hour after his talk, there were only three people there including me. And no matter how silly the questions (including mine) he was patient and magnanimous.

For the older generation (I too grew up with the original Cosmos) it will be hard to let go of our bias for Sagan. But it is important that someone relates to and engages the younger crowd.

Edited by guangtou (04/18/13 10:02 AM)

buddyjesus
Carpal Tunnel

Re: COSMOS remake coming spring 2014 new [Re: guangtou]
      #5806550 - 04/18/13 12:36 PM

He is a professional educator since he works at a planetarium. I am happy he has a love for it that he cares to share with you like he did guangtou.

My biggest reservation is with FOX. Afraid of garish over the top displays the network is known for.

csrlice12
Postmaster

#5806803 - 04/18/13 02:09 PM

It's Fox, they'll tell us the Universe is only 6000 years old.....

Classic8
professor emeritus

#5809025 - 04/19/13 04:31 PM

Quote:

It's Fox, they'll tell us the Universe is only 6000 years old.....

That IS an interesting combination, a science show on Fox.

Bandit13
sage

Reged: 09/20/06

Loc: N.W. Arkansas
Re: COSMOS remake coming spring 2014 new [Re: Classic8]
      #5809148 - 04/19/13 05:39 PM

Remember that Carl was for our generation, and Neil is for the current one. My 16 year old son holds him in very high regard, but he holds Michio Kaku higher.

jrbarnett
Eyepiece Hooligan

Re: COSMOS remake coming spring 2014 new [Re: Bandit13]
      #5809905 - 04/20/13 12:45 AM

I like the UK's Brian Cox for the role.

- Jim

buddyjesus
Carpal Tunnel

#5809967 - 04/20/13 02:10 AM

I agree with you jim. Brian Cox would be an excellent choice.

JayinUT
I'm not Sleepy

Reged: 09/19/08

Loc: Utah
      #5811488 - 04/20/13 06:19 PM

I have to agree with Brian Cox. I really like how approach and deliver.

Dave74
sage

Reged: 10/23/12

Loc: Gelatinous, MA
Re: COSMOS remake coming spring 2014 new [Re: JayinUT]
      #5811503 - 04/20/13 06:29 PM

Great thread, MikeBOKC. I'm really looking forward to this. I hope they do it right. I think they will.

Astrodj
professor emeritus

Reged: 08/24/11

Loc: Missouri
Re: COSMOS remake coming spring 2014 new [Re: Dave74]
      #5812237 - 04/21/13 02:21 AM

Place me in the Brian Cox camp for Cosmos also.

I can just hear the Fox News personalities off (or maybe on) air: "Hey, there's gonna be a show about stars and the milky way universe like that movie Jodie Foster was in."

csrlice12
Postmaster

Re: COSMOS remake coming spring 2014 new [Re: Astrodj]
      #5812577 - 04/21/13 09:30 AM

Nah, too sciency. There be monsters there......

LivingNDixie
TSP Chowhound

Reged: 04/23/03

Loc: Trussville, AL
      #5812953 - 04/21/13 12:12 PM

Another huge Brain Cox fan. I wonder if Prof Cox was trying to get the job for this series since he put a huge plug to Cosmos in his most recent series Wonders of the Universe.

rockethead26
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/21/09

Loc: Arizona, USA
Re: COSMOS remake coming spring 2014 new [Re: LivingNDixie]
      #5813005 - 04/21/13 12:48 PM

I really like Brian Cox, too. His sincerity and presentation are wonderful. As far as the new Cosmos series goes, I have no issues with Neil deGrasse Tyson and I think he is very good at getting the general public interested in the sciences. I'm sure he will do a good job on the series.

Daniel Guzas
professor emeritus

Reged: 11/20/10

Loc: Bethlehem NH/ Boston MA
      #5813032 - 04/21/13 01:03 PM

I knew about this remake of the wonderful Carl Sagan series but didn't realize that it was not going to be on a PBS network. I agree it is good that it will be on a major network as it will be in front of a larger audience, however ther is something to be said about having uninterrupted programming. Which is why I love PBS so much because it lets your mind absorb the information as a whole. Not as sound bites between mindless commercials.

I would love it if there were major sponsors on the networks which would step up and sponsor minimal commercial interruptions. Sponsors who have a vested interest in the furthering of science and the exploration of space. I think that would go a long way in impressing the public that there is a major driving force behind this research and willingness to look further than our own world. And it is a viable industry to get into and contribute to the world.

I see opportunities for private enterprises like  Space X, Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Virgin Galactic, etc. And many more HERE to promote their commitment to the venture. To have their advertising put in to this context will allow these companies propel into the forefront of the general publics minds.

There is a great opportunity here if some of the private enterprises jump on board and sponsor this series. And sponsor segments without the lame 15 second sound bites we are used to seeing. Maybe every 30 mins there is a thoughtful advertisement of one of these companies to really engage the public. I really hope they see the importance of this to them as well as the overall furthering of the publics interest.

I hope this doesn't disappoint. It really can be a turning point for all of us and for science as well.

amicus sidera
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/14/11

Loc: East of the Sun, West of the M...
      #5814332 - 04/21/13 10:37 PM

Quote:

I like the UK's Brian Cox for the role.

- Jim

Brian should have stayed in Dare... Out Of The Silence is one of the very best AOR/melodic rock albums ever made (I believe that Prof. Cox is the gentleman on the far right of the album cover in the preceding link).

Seriously, why do a remake of Cosmos in the first place? It is a thing-in-itself, and any attempt to recreate it is almost surely bound to fall short of the original. Surely the idea pool isn't so dry that something a bit different couldn't be tried?

jrbarnett
Eyepiece Hooligan

Re: COSMOS remake coming spring 2014 new [Re: amicus sidera]
      #5815606 - 04/22/13 04:04 PM

I suspect it's more of an update than a remake. We have learned a lot new in the fields of cosmology, planetology, biology and physics in the intervening thirty years. Ideological tensions between superpowers is no longer the greatest threat to the survival of the species. And now we have iPhones, 24-hour supermarkets, the Internet, hybrid and electric cars, amateur H-alpha solar equipment, CCD imaging devices and affordable apochromatic triplets.

I hope it's not a re-tread, but instead builds on the foundation laid by Sagan.

Regards,

Jim

BlueGrass
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 07/25/09

Loc: Wasatch Front, UT
      #5816488 - 04/22/13 10:33 PM

Agree Jim. Hubble, Spitzer, and the various other modern large telescopes around the world have expanded our views and understanding of the Universe. I hope they dedicate the necessary time in the episodes to dark matter / energy, Hubble Deep Field, updated mission information from Galileo, Cassini... so much has happened since the original series.

Classic8
professor emeritus

Re: COSMOS remake coming spring 2014 new [Re: BlueGrass]
      #5817093 - 04/23/13 10:00 AM

What are they going to call it? "Cosmos II: The Revenge of Sagan"? :-)

amicus sidera
Post Laureate

#5817095 - 04/23/13 10:01 AM

csrlice12
Postmaster

#5817585 - 04/23/13 02:06 PM

"I would love it if there were major sponsors on the networks which would step up and sponsor minimal commercial interruptions." Hey, we're talking ENTERTAINMENT media; Nah, less commercial time reduces profits, what good is a program if'n you can't sell commercials....Beside's the more commercials, the less you have to spend on actual programming.......

amicus sidera
Post Laureate

#5817618 - 04/23/13 02:13 PM

If this new series is presented with commercial breaks, it won't be very effective; at least, not to the degree or in the manner that the original series was, regardless of content.

jrbarnett
Eyepiece Hooligan

#5821069 - 04/24/13 11:23 PM

S'ok. It'll be available on demand and on DVD shortly after broadcast; something that the original series had to wait 2 decades to attain. It's shocking to think, but the original Cosmos aired pre-Internet in the Beatmax heyday.

http://www.hrrc.org/Image/betamax.jpg

- Jim

herrointment
Post Laureate

Reged: 03/12/11

Loc: North of Hwy. 64
      #5821082 - 04/24/13 11:31 PM

And I was parked in front of the Quasar for each original episode.

jrbarnett
Eyepiece Hooligan

Re: COSMOS remake coming spring 2014 new [Re: rockethead26]
      #5821084 - 04/24/13 11:32 PM

"As far as the new Cosmos series goes, I have no issues with Neil deGrasse Tyson and I think he is very good at getting the general public interested in the sciences."

That's a really good point. PBS and Fox are totally different networks with a totally different demographic in their audience. DeGrasse will probably play better to a mainstream mass-market audience than a Sagan-esque host would. For this to be a success for Fox, they have to get people to tune in. It will have to be easily digestible, accessible and entertaining. The producers probably had a very good notion of what kind of host would be needed to "hook" the network's average viewer. Commercial television is a business in the end and I definitely think DeGrasse is more marketable to the average Joe than Cox. Besides, Cox ain't even an Amur'can.

- Jim

celtictexan

Reged: 04/02/13

Loc: Amarillo Texas
      #5822244 - 04/25/13 01:52 PM

I googled this story and it has Seth McFarland as the lead in the remake.

MikeBOKC
Post Laureate

Re: COSMOS remake coming spring 2014 new [Re: celtictexan]
      #5822289 - 04/25/13 02:15 PM

One of the most intriguing things about this is that McFarland apparently met Ann Druyan, Sagan's widow and the custodian of his copyrights and such some years ago and it turns out he is quite the science geek and is very serious about this project. Who would have guessed? As I noted in my original post, I think this has real potential to broaden the appeal of astronomy to a much wider audience.

jrbarnett
Eyepiece Hooligan

#5822336 - 04/25/13 02:41 PM

Here's another programming savvy move. They'll air the episodes on both Fox and the NatGeo cable channel each programming night. PBSers will be more likely to tune into NatGeo than Fox for a science program.

MacFarlane will co-produce the new series with Ann Druyan, and DeGrasse will be the front man. Here's some insight into Seth's personality:

"Four years later, aged nine, MacFarlane began publishing a weekly comic strip entitled "Walter Crouton" for The Kent Good Times Dispatch, the local newspaper in Kent, Connecticut, which paid him five dollars per week.[14][15] In one anecdote from the time, MacFarlane said in a 2011 interview he was "always like just weirdly fascinated by the Communion ceremony [so] I did a strip that had a guy kneeling at the altar taking Communion and saying 'Can I have fries with that?' And to my 11-year-old brain that was comedy ...." The paper printed it and he got "an angry letter from our local priest .... It created sort of a little mini-controversy in our little town."

I'm becoming encouraged. Oh, and no "Spaceship of the Imagination" this time. Will DeGrasse pilot a Firefly class cargo transport?

- Jim

Widespread
professor emeritus

Reged: 05/11/11

Loc: Bowling Green, Kentucky
Re: COSMOS remake coming spring 2014 new [Re: celtictexan]
      #5822341 - 04/25/13 02:45 PM

Quote:

I googled this story and it has Seth McFarland as the lead in the remake.

Red Shift

Reged: 11/09/11

Loc: Bloomfield, New Jersey, USA
      #5822749 - 04/25/13 06:25 PM

I would be very interested in seeing a new COSMOS series program that interspersed segments of the original series hosted by Carl Sagan with new material hosted by Both Neil DeGrasse and Brian Cox with guest appearances by Michio Kaku. That material could be easily stretched out to a full year ( 26 episodes ? ).

payner
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 03/22/07

Loc: Bluegrass Region, Kentucky
Re: COSMOS remake coming spring 2014 new [Re: Red Shift]
      #5824183 - 04/26/13 11:34 AM

You beat me to my pick, Michio Kaku who I'd liked to have seen as the lead. The guy is such an intellect and is well versed when he explains his concepts, ideas or fundamentals through analogy.

Best,
Randy

FrankJ

Reged: 03/06/13

Loc: Ohio
      #5828843 - 04/28/13 06:02 PM

I really don't think that anyone can do as great a job as Car Sagan did on the original COMOS. I'll tell you what I think the problem is on most of today's documentaries; a problem that COMOS did not have. It's all the back ground music and sound effects which makes it very difficult to hear what the narrator is saying. A good example is on the Science Channel on the series about the universe. I think the reason for the music and other sound effects is to try to dramatize it. To me, it's annoying. Most of these channels like to hear comments from viewers. I sent them messages telling then that what they had for the viewers was interesting enough and the background "noise" was not needed but totally annoying. Having said that, I have to admit that I do have a hearing problem. So maybe others do not see it that way. Sagan spoke in a clear pleasant voice without the loud background music. There was some music but it was soft and pleasant. I could watch and listen to COMOS and it was very enjoyable. Maybe it's just me, but that's the way that I feel. I've often wondered if other felt the same way.

astrokwang2
sage

Reged: 05/06/04

Loc: Arizona
Re: COSMOS remake coming spring 2014 new [Re: FrankJ]
      #5829937 - 04/29/13 11:12 AM

I agree with you, Frank. There's so much post-production in science shows these days. Not only can the music be superfluous, but the immense amount of graphics seems like a disservice to the science involved. There's almost an assumption that the audience will be total neophytes to science and math which results in the overuse of graphic animations and "exciting" music. While the fancy graphics can be "cool", do they really serve the science involved? I often feel like the graphics are more about advances in computer animation technology than they are about the concepts.

There's something to be said for the more modest use of graphics and props in a science show. I think of Carl's relatively simple graphical explanations of "flatland" and the notion of tesseracts. His modest use of paper and shadows illuminated the concepts beautifully while also making it seem like the science could be explored with everyday materials found in your desk drawer.

Also, I think one of the most overlooked strengths of Carl's show is how he integrated the history of science with the history of differing peoples. There was that episode where he explored the history of the Japanese crab as an opening gambit to a show about natural selection. And in another episode he talks about his upbringing in Brooklyn before he moves into a discussion about Greek philosophers. What a great series of connections! These kinds of wide-ranging connections are thought-provoking and really help to demonstrate how science and history are actively happening around us.

csrlice12
Postmaster

Re: COSMOS remake coming spring 2014 new [Re: astrokwang2]
      #5830243 - 04/29/13 01:38 PM

Fox Entertainment: Who needs facts; give'm pretty pictures and something with a beat....

Classic8
professor emeritus

#5834590 - 05/01/13 02:55 PM

I also have a harder time understanding the narrator when they have music in the background. Sometimes the music is kinda loud and it seems like they should know better.

Chuck Hards
Post Laureate

Reged: 05/03/10

Loc: The Great Basin
      #5834631 - 05/01/13 03:15 PM

COSMOS was a product of it's time. Sagan had a front-row seat for much of the research and discovery that the show centered-on and was an effective communicator. It certainly didn't hurt that the late Johnny Carson was himself interested in astronomy and frequently had Sagan as his guest. It was another venue for Sagan to speak to the masses.
Any remake will likewise be a product of today. I plan on watching the new series and judging it on it's own merits. Tyson himself is a good communicator and enthusiastic about his field.

I met Carl Sagan some years before the COSMOS series started production. I found him a fascinating man, far more intelligent and knowledgeable than I could ever hope to be, yet very interested in bringing the message of scientific discovery to a larger audience. He was very gracious to the (then) young student Chuck, not condescending at all. I feel honored to have shaken his hand and had the opportunity to exchange a few words with him.

Beerologist

Reged: 07/29/11

Re: COSMOS remake coming spring 2014 new [Re: Chuck Hards]
      #5835301 - 05/01/13 09:53 PM

I have been following this ever since news first seeped out and have come to the following conclusion.

Most negative nellies don't like the idea because,

1. Tyson isn't Sagan
2. Tyson's views on certain topics they hold dear

What's funny is when you so some digging you will find many of those who repeat 1. also said bad stuff about Sagan!

What is also funny is that those in camp 2. didn't like Sagan's views any more than they do Tyson's because both men share many of the same opinions.

The difference is that Sagan usually was diplomatic but Tyson often is not.

This has Druyan, MacFarlane and Tyson on board so I am prepared to give it the benefit of the doubt just as I did Sagan's Cosmos back when a lot of people were trashing that before it even aired.

A lot of the people who trashed the old Cosmos because Sagan was involved will be people trashing this new Cosmos because it's not the old Cosmos and Sagan's not involved.

I guess some people just love to hate, no matter what.

David Castillo
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/09/06

Loc: Carmel Valley, Ca
Re: COSMOS remake coming spring 2014 new [Re: Beerologist]
      #5837195 - 05/02/13 08:39 PM

With Faux Network resurrecting Cosmos, you can expect lots of commercial time devoted to emassing more money to support the lobbying effort to kill public television.
--------
Dave

jrbarnett
Eyepiece Hooligan

#5837409 - 05/02/13 10:50 PM

Aww, Frank, the problem is that we folks here on CN are not among the "lowest common denominator" targeted by commercial network and cable TV. I mean, in what kind of rational Universe does a channel called the History Channel broadcast a show called "Ancient Aliens"?

Regards,

Jim

buddyjesus
Carpal Tunnel

#5837432 - 05/02/13 11:06 PM

might just sell plenty of ads. print uses astronomy to sell their pulp all the time. I hope it does well, but would obviously prefer some modesty with it.

csrlice12
Postmaster

#5837909 - 05/03/13 09:35 AM

"...in what kind of rational Universe does a channel called the History Channel broadcast a show called "Ancient Aliens"?"

One where time travel is commonplace????? Wonder what those ancient aliens feel about that?

Classic8
professor emeritus

#5838015 - 05/03/13 10:31 AM

Quote:

Aww, Frank, the problem is that we folks here on CN are not among the "lowest common denominator" targeted by commercial network and cable TV. I mean, in what kind of rational Universe does a channel called the History Channel broadcast a show called "Ancient Aliens"?

Regards,

Jim

Oh C'mon! It's completely legit!

KidOrion
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 07/07/07

Loc: Carbondale, IL
      #5839068 - 05/03/13 09:08 PM

Those who like Brian Cox may find his appearances on the trivia game show QI to be amusing (this is where I first saw him). This might be the greatest show on TV anywhere, although there's a great deal of ribald, PG-13 humor.

QI: Incomprehensible

(What's astoundingly coincidental about this episode is that it opens with a discussion of the work of Kon Slobodchikoff, the husband of my Russian professor from NAU back in the days when I was an astronomy major.)

WarmWeatherGuy
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 08/27/11

Loc: Orlando, FL 28° N, 81° W
Re: COSMOS remake coming spring 2014 new [Re: KidOrion]
      #5842564 - 05/05/13 10:08 PM

This article on Wired says the show will start some time in 2013.

http://www.wired.com/geekdad/2011/08/cosmos-to-get-a-sequel-hosted-by-neil-de...

Is it a typo?

jrbarnett
Eyepiece Hooligan

Re: COSMOS remake coming spring 2014 new [Re: WarmWeatherGuy]
      #5842596 - 05/05/13 10:25 PM

No. Just out of date.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cosmos:_A_Space-Time_Odyssey

"It was originally announced that it would premiere in the 2012–13 United States network television schedule, but a Twitter update from Neil deGrasse Tyson in June 2012 indicates a Spring 2014 release.[3][4] Episodes will premiere on Fox and also air on National Geographic Channel on the same night.[5]"

- Jim

WarmWeatherGuy
Carpal Tunnel

#5858702 - 05/13/13 10:00 PM

This news page has two YouTube videos. One is the first 5 minute of the original Cosmos and the other is a 30 second version created by Seth on Family Guy.

The 'Cosmos' According to Seth MacFarlane
http://laist.com/2013/05/13/the_cosmos_according_to_seth_macfar.php

csrlice12
Postmaster

#5859638 - 05/14/13 11:19 AM

"No "Spaceship of the Imagination" this time."

Of course, its Fox!

Smittty692k4
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/05/11

Loc: East Bernard, TX
      #5862063 - 05/15/13 12:35 PM

Couple of points I would like to mention:

1) People would confuse Brian Cox for Sagan's son (looks)
2) Brian Cox would be better due to his enthusiam he shows when he talks about the universe (Wonders of the Universe)
3) Seth MacFarlane promoting it would swell the numbers of ages 14-30
4) Seth MacFarlane already makes 3 of the 4 cartoons on Fox's Sunday night line up (as if he needs MORE money)
5) Comet ISON end of this year and Mars opposition spring of next year could drive sales of "Comet hunting/Mars hunting" scopes through the roof.
6) I havent seen any full episode of Cosmos, but I have seen snipits on YouTube. Sagan was a master of delivery and communication with the audience.

Just some things i noticed.
Also, Red Shift beat me to it: If they could entertwine segments of Sagan with the new show, I think it would give the viewers a bigger picture of ALL we have discovered as a species in the last 30+ years, and make them appreciate it more.

I am only 27, but I feel as if this has the potential to be something big. And I really would like to own the original Cosmos set. I can dl it off iTunes, but my internet would prolly explode, its that bad.

Thanks for hearing me out guys.

FrankJ

Re: COSMOS remake coming spring 2014 new [Re: Smittty692k4]
      #5862380 - 05/15/13 02:30 PM

I look forward to seeing it when it finally comes and I'm sure it will be great. Having said that, I've got to say that filling Sagan's shows will be difficult to say the least.

WarmWeatherGuy
Carpal Tunnel

#5983817 - 07/21/13 11:12 PM

Neil deGrasse Tyson stars in 'Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey' TV show trailer

Hopefully one of these links is still good.

http://venturebeat.com/2013/07/21/neil-degrasse-tysons-cosmos-a-spacetime-ody...

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-57594757-1/neil-degrasse-tyson-stars-in-c...

Smittty692k4
Pooh-Bah

#5983844 - 07/21/13 11:31 PM

That trailer is INTENSE!! I hope Seth MacFarlane does it justice.

jrbarnett
Eyepiece Hooligan

#5983911 - 07/22/13 12:28 AM

I think Celestron will do a huge TV advertising blitz during the show. They've curtailed glossy print ads and must be saving up their advertising dollars for something. Using Cosmos as a vehicle, and ISON and Mars to create a sense of urgency, I bet they'll make a bundle. I'd love to see Southern Stars, Explore Scientific and Televue do some TV ads during the show too, but I bet Fox primetime advertising costs a mint. Maybe it will be just the trick to pull in some new blood?

- Jim

rmollise
Postmaster

Reged: 07/06/07

#5984190 - 07/22/13 09:34 AM

What some people don't like about Dr. Tyson? He was mean to the little "planet" they cherished since elementary school, Pluto. Well, boo-hoo!

Edited by rmollise (07/22/13 09:34 AM)

rmollise
Postmaster

#5984196 - 07/22/13 09:36 AM

Quote:

If they could entertwine segments of Sagan with the new show, I think it would give the viewers a bigger picture of ALL we have discovered as a species in the last 30+ years, and make them appreciate it more.

The Sagan show was great, but it doesn't need revisiting. If you want to see it, it's easily available. Dr. Tyson is the choice I would have made for the new one, for sure.

jrbarnett
Eyepiece Hooligan

Re: COSMOS remake coming spring 2014 new [Re: rmollise]
      #5984246 - 07/22/13 10:20 AM

Boy, not me. Tyson is a nice ordinary guy who comes across as a pompous...er...academic posterior. Sagan was the opposite - a pompous academic posterior that instead came across as a nice ordinary guy.

DeGrasse lacks the spittle-flinging level of passion of a Sagan or Cox. I don't get "wonder of it all" from him. He comes across more as a detached news anchor than someone truly engaged in the story he's telling.

Something's better'n nothing, but I think better casting decisions could've been made. Still, I'll give Neil a chance to turn over a new leaf and show us that he does understand that the Universe is larger (even if my mere inches) than his ego.

I do think he'll play better for the Fox demographic, too, though. He ain't got one of them "ferin" accents. Had it stayed with PBS, Cox would have been the more logical choice for that audience.

- Jim

Edited by jrbarnett (07/22/13 10:26 AM)

KidOrion
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 07/07/07

Loc: Carbondale, IL
      #5984256 - 07/22/13 10:25 AM

I've got no qualms with NdGT and think he'll be fine--they'll need someone with an outsized personality to rise above what look like a metric crapton of special effects. Let's hope the substance can outweigh the style.

Smittty692k4
Pooh-Bah

Re: COSMOS remake coming spring 2014 new [Re: KidOrion]
      #5984287 - 07/22/13 10:51 AM

Quote:

Let's hope the substance can outweigh the style.

EXACTLY!! Well said.

rmollise
Postmaster

#5984305 - 07/22/13 11:07 AM

Quote:

Boy, not me. Tyson is a nice ordinary guy who comes across as a pompous...er...academic posterior.

Could not disagree more.

And, anyway, much as I like Carl Sagan, he didn't exactly come across as a shrinking violet on TV or in person.

Edited by rmollise (07/22/13 11:08 AM)

BGeoghegan

Reged: 03/22/10

Loc: Eastern CT
      #5984312 - 07/22/13 11:12 AM

They'll have to go into the Pluto as a planet dispute. Just when everything looks settled, Fox will provide some noted expert to point out that we don't have all the returns from OH... oh, wait a minute, that was some other night on Fox.

Bob G

Chuck Hards
Post Laureate

Reged: 05/03/10

Loc: The Great Basin
      #5984435 - 07/22/13 12:58 PM

Quote:

Boy, not me. Tyson is a nice ordinary guy who comes across as a pompous...er...academic posterior. Sagan was the opposite - a pompous academic posterior that instead came across as a nice ordinary guy.

I met Carl Sagan, and he was absolutely a gentleman in person, even to me, a student who thought he knew everything at the time, and an absolute nobody as far as he was concerned. He seemed genuinely interested in what I had to say, and wasn't condescending or abrupt at all.

WarmWeatherGuy
Carpal Tunnel

#5984441 - 07/22/13 01:02 PM

Quote:

DeGrasse lacks the spittle-flinging level of passion of a Sagan or Cox. I don't get "wonder of it all" from him. He comes across more as a detached news anchor than someone truly engaged in the story he's telling.
- Jim

I get the opposite impression. You can watch NdGT on YouTube all day long to get an idea of what he'll be like. Here is one example:

Neil deGrasse Tyson What NASA Means to Americas Future

He also does mention that Pluto has only 1/5 the mass of our Moon.

BrooksObs
professor emeritus

Reged: 12/08/12

#5984557 - 07/22/13 02:27 PM

Sorry guys, but as much as I wish this up-coming show success, I really don't see it making a go of it. The simple facts are that it is on the wrong channel, which has the wrong audience, and it is coming out at the wrong time.

The original Cosmos was not a success merely because of the host, but rather it ran on a commercial-free channel whose viewership was generally of more intellect than average and eager to learn. On the otherhand Fox, which will likely commercial the first episodes to death, has an overall decidedly conservative audience which largely doesn't even accept climate change let alone a science-governed universe! Folks don't exactly watch Fox to keep abreast of the latest advances in science.

Likewise, when the original Cosmos appeared men had only recently last walked on the moon. A space probe had imaged Mars close-up for the first time just 4 years earlier and scientists and the public still held out hope some lower form of life might still abide there. Many of us believed that in our own lifetimes we might yet see men walk on Mars, maybe the asteroids and perhaps even go beyond.

All those dreams have died. More than a whole generation has grown up never having seen a man walk on the moon. The U.S. manned space program is essentially dead and our only real competitor in space beaten and no longer even a true superpower. Each new proposed future manned space venture dies from lack of funding in Congress and the overall NASA annual budget shrinks with each vote taken. Just how much public enthusiasm do you think is left in light of all of this?

And then look at how much our society itself has changed in the generation-plus since Cosmos I. Back then most of us still had only a handful of TV channels to watch in addition to PBS. Average people were still interested about where science was taking us. Just where is John Q. Public's interest now? It's lost in a mix of social media, mindless TV "reality" shows, and an endless range of personal gizmos that offer entertainment. Sure, folks like us will tune in to the new Cosmos (and that audience may be bolstered some if it's also run on NatGeo), but I give what small number of regular Fox viewers there might be to about the second commercial break before switching to QVC, Big Brother, or their phones. Surely the Cosmos graphics will entertain some folks for a while, but simply too much time has passed, our society changing drastically with it, for a show like this to be a hit, at least in my eyes.

BrooksObs

Edited by BrooksObs (07/22/13 02:29 PM)

dpippel
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 04/05/13

Loc: Desierto de Sonora
      #5984662 - 07/22/13 03:37 PM

Quote:

I couldn't agree more. Tyson is no Sagan by any stretch of the imagination. In fact I find him quite annoying.

Smittty692k4
Pooh-Bah

Re: COSMOS remake coming spring 2014 new [Re: BrooksObs]
      #5984696 - 07/22/13 03:56 PM

Quote:

On the otherhand Fox, which will likely commercial the first episodes to death, has an overall decidedly conservative audience which largely doesn't even accept climate change let alone a science-governed universe! Folks don't exactly watch Fox to keep abreast of the latest advances in science.

Hey, I watch Fox and I KNOW the universe is only 6000 years old!!

I am part of the generation you are referring to. And while the vast majority of my generation isn't astronomy strong, many have at least a slight curiousity. I have never met one person (via real life/facebook/ whathaveyou) who didn't appreciate a good Saturn image or view through a telescope of the Moon.

The reality is many never get the opportunity to see such a wonder (If they don't know anyone with a scope or don't have the funds for one) but that doesn't mean they wouldn't like to know more.

I guess being of a younger generation than most on here, I just wish that I could share the joys I have with astronomy to my fellow age group, but I dont have the time or means to do so. MAYBE thats what sparked Seth's brain, just maybe. A guy that relates to a younger crowd, a large network, and ALOT of cash flow.

jerwin
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 05/17/12

Loc: Romeoville IL
Re: COSMOS remake coming spring 2014 new [Re: BGeoghegan]
      #5984820 - 07/22/13 05:18 PM

Quote:

They'll have to go into the Pluto as a planet dispute. Just when everything looks settled, Fox will provide some noted expert to point out that we don't have all the returns from OH... oh, wait a minute, that was some other night on Fox.

Bob G

Everyone knows that Fox and Fox News are two different things right? Fox plays basically the same stuff as ABC NBC and CBS, and attracts (in my opinion) the same audience. The person watching Family guy might not want to watch the COSMOS, but I think you'd have the same number of people watching Wife Swap (ABC), or Mike and Molly (CBS), Betty Whites Off Their Rockers (NBC) are not tuning in either.

Fox news on the other hand is VERY different form CNN or MSNBC or whatever news program one may be watching, and Fox News attracts a way different normal audience than CNN. But that debate might get this thread locked.

Getting the COSMOS onto something other than the discovery or science channels is probably a good way to try to bring science into some homes that don't watch the discovery channel all day long like myself. Like any show the audience will decide it's fate.

Jim

JayinUT
I'm not Sleepy

Reged: 09/19/08

Loc: Utah
Re: COSMOS remake coming spring 2014 new [Re: jerwin]
      #5984871 - 07/22/13 05:46 PM

I disagree on Fox and Fox News. I'm 48 and I don't watch Fox except for a NFL Football game. I am abnormal I guess, I don't like Seth MacFarlane nor his shows and I frankly don't watch them. Oh, I do watch one program on Fox with my wife if we are watching TV, Bones. Other than that, I just don't like the programming, the attitude that I see on Fox. Are the other major networks different? Yeah. I can relate to more shows on CBS and NBC then the others. Then again, we cut our cable three years ago and just go with an antenna and use the money elsewhere in our budget. I openly admit, I am not a huge TV watcher. Especially since I got back into hiking and photography and walking to lose weight.

The show. It will be what it will be. I'll watch it and if I like it, then I'll watch another episode. However, if it is not so deep, then I'll open a book like The Life and Death of Stars by Ken Lang and get some personal reading in.

payner
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 03/22/07

Loc: Bluegrass Region, Kentucky
      #5984880 - 07/22/13 05:52 PM

I don't think the demographics of Fox Network in this case will make a difference -- this isn't Fox News. In watching the trailer it had the "feel" of a superhero movie more than a scientific odyssey set for a popular audience; it seemed slanted too much to the pop-culture side of the line.

With the current definition of a planet those outside the solar system are apparently not planets. The IAU only recognizes a body orbiting Sol to be a bona fide planet! I don't really care what Pluto is called, but a world orbiting around a star--and in the case of Pluto one even with orbiting satellites -- is a planet when considered.

Had it been my choice Michio Kaku or Brian Cox would have presented the series. Hopefully I'll be proven wrong and NdGT will stepup and captivate the audience the way Carl Sagan did. Dr. Sagan made anyone with the least bit of aptitude for the mysteries of the universe take interest.

herrointment
Post Laureate

Re: COSMOS remake coming spring 2014 new [Re: payner]
      #5984897 - 07/22/13 06:05 PM

The original was huge for me, but on the subject of round two? I'm leaving the television unplugged...12 months without so far!

On Mr. Tyson....he's cool. Seems to care about the subject at hand and is a fine speaker.

Unplug the beast, folks!

ThreeD
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 12/23/08

Loc: Sacramento suburbs
Re: COSMOS remake coming spring 2014 new [Re: herrointment]
      #5984928 - 07/22/13 06:33 PM

Fox and Fox News are completely different and almost polar opposite despite them both being owned by the same person. In fact I find the contrast between the two to be rather interesting and ironic. What percentage of people who are rabid Fox News viewers would ever watch a show like The Simpsons let alone Family Guy? It's hard to believe that one will play Family Guy at 4PM and the other will espouse morality and family values.

That aside, I don't think the typical demographic for network will make much difference so long as there is sufficient advertising. I for one don't watch much TV in general but I will be tuning in and I think if people are interested in this type of show they will tune in if they hear about it.

On a different note, has anyone noticed that streaming netflix has the original series available? I need to carve out the time to watch it some time soon.

JoeR
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 03/07/10

Loc: Columbus, OH
Re: COSMOS remake coming spring 2014 new [Re: ThreeD]
      #5984961 - 07/22/13 07:01 PM

I think Brian Cox was not even considered simply because he's British. Whenever the Discovery Network airs a BBC documentary like Planet Earth they always substitute David Attenborough for some American celebrity, thinking it makes it more "accessible" to American TV audiences. I much prefer hearing Attenborough's enthusiasm derived from a wealth of experience then someone just reading off a script.

I noticed on IMDB Ann Druyan is listed as the sole writer of the series so that's encouraging. The animated bits in the trailer are probably McFarlane's contribution and it appears to be Giodorno Bruno being burned at the stake by the catholic church. So I doubt FOX excecs are influencing the content of the show in any way. I saw somewhere that Druyan also stated Tyson will be the sole on-screen personality with no "guests" making appearances.

Regardless how this show will be I have my original box set and will continue to cherish it. No matter how good this version is it just won't be the same for the older generation who saw the original in its time as a pivotal life changing moment. It is our sacred cow and nothing will change that.

jerwin
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: COSMOS remake coming spring 2014 new [Re: JayinUT]
      #5984967 - 07/22/13 07:06 PM

Quote:

I disagree on Fox and Fox News. I'm 48 and I don't watch Fox except for a NFL Football game. I am abnormal I guess, I don't like Seth MacFarlane nor his shows and I frankly don't watch them. Oh, I do watch one program on Fox with my wife if we are watching TV, Bones. Other than that, I just don't like the programming, the attitude that I see on Fox. Are the other major networks different? Yeah. I can relate to more shows on CBS and NBC then the others.

So have you ever watched Fox News, if you have, I think you'd have to agree it's nothing like Fox. And I think you were to play game of which one of these things is not like the other, the average person would group fox, abc, nbc and cbs together and leave fox news out.

Personal show preference is one thing, but Fox has shows like the X factor, So You Think You Can Dance, and American Idol. Not at all to be confused with origonal shows like America's got Talent, Dancing with the Stars, or The Voice. Watch it or turn the TV off, but to me it's all the same.

Greyhaven
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/11/04

Loc: Greater downtown Maine
      #5985018 - 07/22/13 07:45 PM

OMG! that trailer was my worst fears come to pass. Over the top special effects accompanied by poor animation. As far as Tyson's narration , the trailer left him speechless. The trailer was as uninspiring as Sagan's was inspiring. I did not feel in awe of the Cosmos I just kept expecting Robbie the robot to wheel on as co-host.
Be Well
Grey

jrbarnett
Eyepiece Hooligan

#5985034 - 07/22/13 07:56 PM

Why not PBS? Seemed to work fine last time 'round.

- Jim

jerwin
scholastic sledgehammer

#5985043 - 07/22/13 08:03 PM

Quote:

- Jim

Do I even get PBS anymore?

BPO
sage

Reged: 02/23/10

Loc: South Island, NZ
Re: COSMOS remake coming spring 2014 new [Re: Greyhaven]
      #5985046 - 07/22/13 08:05 PM

Funny, I thought it looked very much like Sagan's Cosmos only with better sfx.

People were going to bash this no matter who made it, and those who disagree with Tyson's views on life will claim to hate the new Cosmos even if and when they like it.

When you remember the criticism that poor old Sagan used to cop it's ironic to see him now being deified by many of those who used to claim to dislike him so much.

Smittty692k4
Pooh-Bah

Re: COSMOS remake coming spring 2014 new [Re: ThreeD]
      #5985761 - 07/23/13 10:15 AM

Quote:

On a different note, has anyone noticed that streaming netflix has the original series available? I need to carve out the time to watch it some time soon.

I think I just found a reason to get Netflix

csrlice12
Postmaster

#5985932 - 07/23/13 12:05 PM

Loved the TV series and the book....But the best college course I ever took was not a science course, it was a philosophy course...that course was called "COSMOS"....some of the best $$ I ever spent......

jrbarnett
Eyepiece Hooligan

Re: COSMOS remake coming spring 2014 new [Re: BPO]
      #5988172 - 07/24/13 05:32 PM

"...it's ironic to see him now being deified by many of those who used to claim to dislike him so much."

To your knowledge, has *anyone* who has praised Sagan in this thread ever posted *anything* negative about Sagan in any other thread on CN, or are you just making stuff up for attention or something?

I suspect that the folks admiring Sagan now are the very same folks who admired him when the original Cosmos aired. I've not wavered in my opinion of Sagan. Anyone else contributing here claiming to like Sagan now but secretly despising him? Didn't think so.

- Jim

BPO
sage

Reged: 02/23/10

Loc: South Island, NZ
      #5988189 - 07/24/13 05:41 PM

Quote:

"...it's ironic to see him now being deified by many of those who used to claim to dislike him so much."

To your knowledge, has *anyone* who has praised Sagan in this thread ever posted *anything* negative about Sagan in any other thread on CN, or are you just making stuff up for attention or something?

To your knowledge, did I claim you or anyone else here on CN was doing it?

The fact is, I know people who once had nothing but bad to say about Sagan, but who are now reeling in angst at the alleged desecration of his sacred work and memory by Tyson, MacFarlane and FOX.

Beerologist

Reged: 07/29/11

#5988256 - 07/24/13 06:23 PM

"or are you just making stuff up for attention or something?"

Holy blue blazes! That from the guy who wrote this......

Quote:

Something's better'n nothing, but I think better casting decisions could've been made. Still, I'll give Neil a chance to turn over a new leaf and show us that he does understand that the Universe is larger (even if my mere inches) than his ego.

I do think he'll play better for the Fox demographic, too, though. He ain't got one of them "ferin" accents. Had it stayed with PBS, Cox would have been the more logical choice for that audience.

- Jim

Wow! Irony overload.

Let me tell you as a guy who had the huge good fortune to know and work with Carl Sagan that everything you have said about him is wrong.

He was not "pompous" or "arrogant" or any of those other things often said about him by people who resented not only his success and public profile but his unwillingness to be cowed.

Sagan never backed down from any position or opinion unless and until he knew he was wrong and he always had the good grace to admit when he was wrong before anybody.

One reason some people disliked him was because he wasn't wrong too often.

Was he a shrinking violet? Nope. Did he believe in exaggerated humility and false modesty? Absolutely not. Sagan believed in the principle of when you're right, you're right.

He was friends with Johnny Carson, he rubbed shoulders with the rich and famous, he had his own huge groundbreaking TV show, he was a household name and instantly recognizable. That POed a lot of people who weren't.

You ought to think first before shooting your mouth off about guys you only know through the media and half cocked opinion. It's totally ignorant.

And Tyson? He will tell you how great Sagan was, and Tyson is a pretty damn great guy himself. But just like Sagan his success and his sensible viewpoints aren't appreciated by people who don't have either.

microstar
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 01/05/08

Loc: Canada
Re: COSMOS remake coming spring 2014 new [Re: Beerologist]
      #5988327 - 07/24/13 07:20 PM

Good to get an insight from someone who actually has a basis for forming an opinion on Sagan based on knowing and working with him. Thanks for setting the record straight.
...Keith

Quote:

"or are you just making stuff up for attention or something?"

Holy blue blazes! That from the guy who wrote this......

Quote:

- Jim

Wow! Irony overload.

Let me tell you as a guy who had the huge good fortune to know and work with Carl Sagan that everything you have said about him is wrong.

He was not "pompous" or "arrogant" or any of those other things often said about him by people who resented not only his success and public profile but his unwillingness to be cowed.

Sagan never backed down from any position or opinion unless and until he knew he was wrong and he always had the good grace to admit when he was wrong before anybody.

One reason some people disliked him was because he wasn't wrong too often.

Was he a shrinking violet? Nope. Did he believe in exaggerated humility and false modesty? Absolutely not. Sagan believed in the principle of when you're right, you're right.

He was friends with Johnny Carson, he rubbed shoulders with the rich and famous, he had his own huge groundbreaking TV show, he was a household name and instantly recognizable. That POed a lot of people who weren't.

You ought to think first before shooting your mouth off about guys you only know through the media and half cocked opinion. It's totally ignorant.

And Tyson? He will tell you how great Sagan was, and Tyson is a pretty damn great guy himself. But just like Sagan his success and his sensible viewpoints aren't appreciated by people who don't have either.

Noisykids
sage

Reged: 06/01/11

Loc: ma
Re: COSMOS remake coming spring 2014 new [Re: microstar]
      #5988384 - 07/24/13 07:58 PM

i remember seeing carl sagan on the tonight show but somehow i missed cosmos the first time around. i currently have a paperback of the book next to the bed and if anybody asks in the next week or so what i want for my birthday the answer will be a hard bound copy of the book with bigger letters.
i saw cosmos on dvd not that long ago and was very put off by the format of what looked like the flying living room. just like the original star trek, hokey special effects make me squirm. i may have to get it out of the library again and revisit.
i look forward to the remake, as i like tyson and have no dog in the fight about pluto.

MikeBOKC
Post Laureate

Re: COSMOS remake coming spring 2014 new [Re: Noisykids]
      #5988478 - 07/24/13 08:49 PM

This kind of amazes me. Time after time here I see posts from people lamenting the lack of new blood in this hobby, and yet here are some grousing about who will host this series, where it will air, etc. Get a grip . . . anything that expands interest in and knowledge about astronomy is a good thing as long as it is based on real science. Tyson is a widely recognized science educator who runs the Hayden Planetarium. The audience will be large, advance promotion will be heavy and I would bet that everyone here who is associated with a local club will see some new members come in, and some larger attendance at outreach events. As for Sagan, he was undeniably the most effective astronomy popularize of the modern media age, but even old Carl could wax a little too earnest on some of his pet peeves like nukes. For my money every local club in the country should be planning some big outreach events in conjunction with this series. Or would we rather the airtime be dedicated to more episodes about those Kardashian people?

Zamboni
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 01/03/05

Loc: Colorado Springs
      #5988586 - 07/24/13 10:04 PM

I know this is going to tick people off, but it needs to be said; QUIT WHINING!!! ALL OF YOU!!!

I'm really stunned and saddened by the level of negativity being aimed at something that could give our hobby a much-needed shot in the arm. Everybody complains about the hobby dying, and then you complain about something that can potentially save it? Bloody hypocrites.

Also, a lot of people are judging the depth of the content on a three minute trailer with almost no words. REALLY? Do you realize how pompous that makes all of you sound? Also, since when are impressive special effects and profound content mutually exclusive? That's a new one to me.

I've also read judgments of the content based on the MUSIC in the trailer. I can only name a small handful of times when the music in a film's trailer was actually more than just a placeholder and was used in the finished film. Has anyone here ever seen a movie AND its trailer before?

And to everybody complaining that it's not on PBS; if it was aired on PBS, the only audience it would reach are people who would otherwise be watching the original COSMOS. That's not the point of this series. It needs to reach as wide an audience as possible to get people interested in science, and putting it on a major network in prime time is the only way to do that these days. Like it or not, the media landscape is different today than it was when the original aired. DEAL WITH IT.

dpippel
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 04/05/13

Loc: Desierto de Sonora
Re: COSMOS remake coming spring 2014 new [Re: Zamboni]
      #5988648 - 07/24/13 10:40 PM

Take a deeeeeeeep breath everyone...

Wmacky
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/24/07

Loc: Florida
Re: COSMOS remake coming spring 2014 new [Re: dpippel]
      #5988781 - 07/25/13 12:15 AM

I can't wait to see it!

It won't be the same, but How could it without Carl? Hopefully, it will help bring new people into the hobby as it did me.

You see, Cosmos is very very special to be. I was a part of the original audience when it originally aired. I was in high school with some interest in "space". Back then as many of you know, science shows were very very rare. I was instantly captivated by the show. The ethereal music, the impassioned narration, the scientific facts, and theories all had me hypnotized. Following the shows I would visit the school library and pour over S&T, and astronomy magazines. The issues with the Voyager shots were on the selves! I always paid extra attention to the Celestron, and Meade ads. Later that year, I asked for a dept store refractor for Christmas, and began my first observations.

Cosmos is THE reason I'm in the hobby, and a forum member here.

Anyone else here because of the show? I never personally met anyone that was affected by the show like me, or anyone that even cared at all for that matter. Being from a small rural town has a lot to do with that I guess.

Edited by Wmacky (07/25/13 10:08 AM)

csrlice12
Postmaster

#5989218 - 07/25/13 09:42 AM

Quote:

I suspect that the folks admiring Sagan now are the very same folks who admired him when the original Cosmos aired. I've not wavered in my opinion of Sagan. Anyone else contributing here claiming to like Sagan now but secretly despising him? Didn't think so.

- Jim

Jim: Totally agree. It also find it odd the poster used the word "deified".Carl was an athiest, didn't believe in deities.....

FrankJ

#5989299 - 07/25/13 10:46 AM

I wasn't going to say anything about this discussion that's going on right now about who likes whom and who hates whom; and how so many are criticizing another because he/she doesn't like whomever he likes. But I feel that it's time for me to put in my two cents worth. I haven't been a member too long here. But, when I first joined, I told my wife that this was a good forum. Everyone was so friendly and different views were discussed in a mature manner. What's happened??? Why is it so important for some of you that another person doesn't like the same person that you like? Everyone has a different opinion so let's respect that. Why can't we discuss things as an adult without jumping on someone because they disagree? There are more important issues to worry about in this world than who like Carl Sagan and who does not like him. I hate to say this but I'm going to say it anyway. Take some advice from an 82 year old man who says that some of you are acting like a bunch of little kids arguing whose father is the toughest. Think about it. Respectfully, Frank from Ohio.

Wmacky
Carpal Tunnel

#5989508 - 07/25/13 12:48 PM

Did I miss something? I haven't read any arguing going on. Just dicussions on a dicussion forum. A remake of what many consider to be the greastest science show every broadcast is bound to generate comment.

On another note, does anybody believe that the original show may get the Bluray treatment due to possible new interest in the program? I know there are problems due to the indoor video elements, and the FX shots, but the outdoor film elements would benefit. If it doesn't get done for the new show, I know it will probally neber happen, and will go ahead and get the DVDs.

Edited by Wmacky (07/25/13 01:00 PM)

FrankJ

Re: COSMOS remake coming spring 2014 new [Re: Wmacky]
      #5990073 - 07/25/13 06:27 PM

Quote:

Did I miss something? I haven't read any arguing going on. Just dicussions on a dicussion forum. A remake of what many consider to be the greastest science show every broadcast is bound to generate comment.

On another note, does anybody believe that the original show may get the Bluray treatment due to possible new interest in the program? I know there are problems due to the indoor video elements, and the FX shots, but the outdoor film elements would benefit. If it doesn't get done for the new show, I know it will probally neber happen, and will go ahead and get the DVDs.

Well--maybe I was reading something in this discussion that wasn't there. I re-read most of the posts and maybe it has just been good honest conversation. I guess sometimes with written text, it's more difficult to read what a person has on his mind. So if I misunderstood and offended anyone, I apologize. But, I did like Carl Sagan; and I don't know all that much about the other guys.

microstar
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 01/05/08

Loc: Canada
      #5990565 - 07/26/13 12:18 AM

No worries Frank. I thought the thread was going downhill too. No need to refer to anybody who has sacrificed years of their life to follow their passion in order to get a PhD as an "academic posterior" for example. I think many we're losing interest in the thread before you posted your comment.
...Keith

Starlon
sage

Reged: 04/18/06

Loc: desert, USA
      #5992359 - 07/27/13 02:22 AM

Quote:

- Jim

Exactly. Fox ? Clear channel network ? OK class, your assignment is to read 'The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark' by Carl Sagan.

Well, I had to watch the trailer for this 'updated' Cosmos. I was looking for the cutting edge 21st century 'new way' of presenting it. To me it looked like a dark, postmodernists view of 'The Enlightenment' of Cosmos. Sagan's worst nightmare came true. Can't wait for the reviews.. next year.

Edited by droid (08/07/13 06:18 AM)

stevew
Now I've done it

Reged: 03/03/06

Loc: British Columbia Canada
      #5993755 - 07/27/13 10:12 PM

So what's next?
A remake of Casablanca?

I just hope they call it something else.
To me Cosmos was, is, and will always be Carl Sagan.
I feel the same way about Deep Sky wonders.
When Scotty passed on they should have called it something else.

I wish them success, and I hope it turns out well.

Steve

Wmacky
Carpal Tunnel

Re: COSMOS remake coming spring 2014 new [Re: Starlon]
      #5993816 - 07/27/13 10:48 PM

Quote:

Quote:

- Jim

Exactly. Fox ? Clear channel network ? OK class, your assignment is to read 'The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark' by Carl Sagan.

Well, I had to watch the trailer for this 'updated' Cosmos. I was looking for the cutting edge 21st century 'new way' of presenting it. To me it looked like a dark, postmodernists view of 'The Enlightenment' of Cosmos. Sagan's worst nightmare came true. Can't wait for the reviews.. next year.

No politics please......

Edited by droid (08/07/13 06:19 AM)

Starlon
sage

#5997245 - 07/29/13 08:28 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

- Jim

No politics please......

Excuse me? Politics? What am I missing here ?

Edited by droid (08/07/13 06:20 AM)

Dan Watt
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 10/13/09

Loc: Oceanside, Calfornia.
Re: COSMOS remake coming spring 2014 new [Re: Starlon]
      #5997400 - 07/29/13 10:21 PM

You know, the original show was pretty focused on pretty graphics and interesting effects too. While it looks very dated now, it certainly wasn't so at the time.

Hey, here is a trailer for the original Cosmos. It too showcases some of the pretty images you'll see over the series.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-1MuND26Cg

It even looks like they are redoing some parts scene for scene.

As far as NDT goes, I've read his book and heard on speak a few times and didn't rub me the wrong way at all. Sorry, but I can't think of anybody better for this.

And the target audience is much larger than just us die-hards... in the wasteland that is television I think any attempt at expanding knowledge is commendable. I for one and extremely happy that this actually made it into development.

DigitalFox

Reged: 08/18/12

Loc: Riverside, CA
Re: COSMOS remake coming spring 2014 new [Re: Dan Watt]
      #6007075 - 08/05/13 05:51 AM

For those interested, Neil deGrasse Tyson was on Reddit answering questions about the new Cosmos.

Here is a link to the thread for those interested:
http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/1jpg03/i_am_neil_degrasse_tyson_ama_abo...

droid
rocketman

Reged: 08/29/04

Loc: Conneaut, Ohio
Re: COSMOS remake coming spring 2014 new [Re: DigitalFox]
      #6010883 - 08/07/13 06:03 AM

Ok folks this is an interesting thread.....but lets keep it on topic "the new series". Or "the trailer" if you have an opinion.

I for one liked the trailer to a point, and am ready to keep an open mind and definitely will be watching.
I have several of Carls books ,including the demon haunted world, lol, and all of the Cosmos episodes on DVD.
Huge fan of Carl Sagan , would like to believe Carl would have liked the fact that astronomy and science were getting a shot at a wider audience.

AstroDan77

Reged: 05/15/13

Loc: New Hampshire
Re: COSMOS remake coming spring 2014 new [Re: droid]
      #6014531 - 08/08/13 08:30 PM

Like anything else, everyones got an opinion and usually they are all complaints. I for one am thrilled to see NTD get a chance to take COSMOS: A Space Time Odyssey to a channel where there are truly millions of potential untapped future space enthusiests. Not sure why so many who are "so called" space nuts discouraging anything that could help our cause.

I think it's great, can't wait!

AstroDan77

Reged: 05/15/13

Loc: New Hampshire
Re: COSMOS remake coming spring 2014 new [Re: AstroDan77]
      #6014563 - 08/08/13 08:48 PM

As far as Cox vs. Tyson they are the #1&2 science communicators of the current generation (without question). Look no further than thier twitter accounts, both over 1 million followers each and everythng they touch is a success. The NEW generation, the ones who are so vitaly important to drive this field into the future gravitate to these two guys (You can throw Kaku and Nye in there as well perhaps). Macfarlane knows that and Druyan knows that. Also, because of his claim to fame Macfarlane simply does not get the credit he deserves for being a science lover.

Cox or NDT, COSMOS will be a success.......dont forget the past but you have to let it go and allow the future to bring in new blood who have different thought processes. The current generation doesn't remember when COSMOS came out or that it had no commercials. The new generation LIVES through commercials, they know no other way so it wont affect them. There are plenty of wildly successful science shows to prove that.

Edited by AstroDan77 (08/08/13 08:54 PM)

Dennis Kuefner

Reged: 05/30/13

Loc: South Central Minnesota, USA
      #6039837 - 08/22/13 10:12 AM

I just finished rereading Cosmos. The history is good to brush up on. I'm looking forward to get to see the new show regardless of who is going to be hosting the show. I excited to see what has happened in the last 33 years and what impact it has had on our understanding and knowledge. I'm also looking forward to what the last 33 years research and data have done to change or reinforce our ideas and theories, and what the new information has done to change or solidify our knowledge. Lets not get involved in personalities but relish the dissemination of new knowledge to the general public. Hopefully this will spark a renewed interest in the sciences and history. I think this is a great opportunity to spark an interest in our young minds.

jrbarnett
Eyepiece Hooligan

Re: COSMOS remake coming spring 2014 new [Re: Dan Watt]
      #6040043 - 08/22/13 12:29 PM

I think the effects in the original were cheesy and low budget even by standards of the time. Compare those effects to the effects in the original Star Wars, for example. Remember, the original series was in support of a popular science book of the same title, Cosmos. It really wasn't about entertainment, but rather was intended to inform above all.

Did DeGrasse write a "New Cosmos" book on which the new TV series is based? I don't think so. I'd say the intent of the new is more balanced. I'll reserve judgement on the sugar-coatedness of the content until I've watched a few episodes, but my hunch is that because this is commercial television, it will likely be blinged-up and dumbed-down a bit to reach a larger, less bookish, demographic.

If the new series has an Achilles heel, it will be the fact that "the target audience is much larger than just us" folks in the science-interested minority. Hope for the best, plan for the worst, as they say.

Regards,

Jim

jrbarnett
Eyepiece Hooligan

Re: COSMOS remake coming spring 2014 new [Re: DigitalFox]
      #6040057 - 08/22/13 12:39 PM

That was *really* interesting. Thanks for the link. I *love* that the new series will follow the old in memorializing the generations of science "martyrs" who suffered at the hands of the superstitious and ignorant in order to advance knowledge and ultimately truth. But I gotta ask, will Saganesque "preachiness" play as well on Main Street as it does in the hallowed halls of Cal Tech or MIT? It'll be very interesting to see the reactions and responses to the new series.

Regards,

Jim

WarmWeatherGuy
Carpal Tunnel

#6040096 - 08/22/13 01:01 PM

If you watch this short YouTube video you will see why I have hope that NDGT will be awesome. He gets it. His goal is to make people excited about science and here is what he says about how you obtain that goal:

Persuasion is not "here are the facts, either you're an idiot or you're not." It is "here are the facts and here is a sensitivity to your state of mind, and it's the facts plus the sensitivity that when convolved together creates impact."

jrbarnett
Eyepiece Hooligan

#6040116 - 08/22/13 01:09 PM

I was actually much more comforted by this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6oxTMUTOz0w

It is *so* true, too, and I hope DeGrasse does as Sagan did and tackles this theme head-on. The single greatest threat to any enlightened society's prosperity and survival is when large numbers of its members abandon reason and embrace fantasy instead.

The decline and fall of every major civilization through history has occurred when its elite science is eclipsed by its popular hoodoo-voodoo.

Maybe this won't be so bad after all.

Regards,

Jim

MikeBOKC
Post Laureate

#6040221 - 08/22/13 02:02 PM

The norm when a series is linked to a book is for the book to come out con conjunction with the series premiere. I would wager that there will he a Tyson/Druyan/Soter co-authored "New Cosmos" on the best seller list within a week of the first episode.

jrbarnett
Eyepiece Hooligan

#6040715 - 08/22/13 07:50 PM

That's probably right, Mike.

I just hope it's not in comic book format.

- Jim

Starlon
sage

#6040782 - 08/22/13 08:56 PM

That was more convincing. Hopefully Tyson will be that way on the updated Cosmos. Also would like to have him call this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvKg68DcTZA

And this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbOq-fRp5YI what it was, spacecraft engineering, not 'rocket science' as the media continually harps on. Look what we could do, so many years ago. Repeatedly. Good engineering principles. Simple.

choran
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/28/12

#6044112 - 08/24/13 07:27 PM

If twitter hits was the test, then Kim Kardashian is probably the one they need for the show.

WarmWeatherGuy
Carpal Tunnel

Re: COSMOS remake coming spring 2014 new [Re: choran]
      #6051253 - 08/28/13 06:37 PM

There is a new Symphony of Science video featuring NdGT.

MONSTERS OF THE COSMOS - Symphony of Science

Here is a playlist of all the Symphony of Science videos.

My favorite is We Are All Connected

buddyjesus
Carpal Tunnel

#6059106 - 09/02/13 11:56 AM

i questioned the link to fox network also but NDT put my mind at ease on this.

[–]neiltysonNeil deGrasse Tyson[S] 2399 points 19 days ago

The people who say with disdain and disgust: "It's appearing on Fox? Their viewers don't know any science!" And I simply reply, "If true, that makes Fox the best network of them all on which to air this series."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hE_OehRLH3s

WarmWeatherGuy
Carpal Tunnel

#6059118 - 09/02/13 12:03 PM

Quote:

i questioned the link to fox network also but NDT put my mind at ease on this.

[–]neiltysonNeil deGrasse Tyson[S] 2399 points 19 days ago

The people who say with disdain and disgust: "It's appearing on Fox? Their viewers don't know any science!" And I simply reply, "If true, that makes Fox the best network of them all on which to air this series."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hE_OehRLH3s

I hope everyone knows why carbon dating is useless on dinosaur "bones." Carbon dating is only good for maybe 50,000 years (Carbon 14 half-life = 5730 years) and only works on carbon that was once alive. Dinosaur bones have been fossilized and there is virtually no Carbon 14 in them. We know the ages of dinosaur bones by using other radiometric dating techniques on surrounding rocks. Hopefully Seth will have a science adviser for COSMOS.

WarmWeatherGuy
Carpal Tunnel

#6302547 - 01/09/14 05:09 PM

We're getting closer to Cosmos.

http://www.parade.com/250591/lynnsherr/cosmos-neil-degrasse-tyson-transformin...

MikeBOKC
Post Laureate

#6302555 - 01/09/14 05:11 PM

The first of 13 episodes is scheduled for Sunday evening March 9 on Fox, with rebroadcast on National Geographic Channel immediately following.

brianb11213
Postmaster

Reged: 02/25/09

Loc: 55.215N 6.554W
      #6302931 - 01/09/14 08:15 PM

Quote:

The first of 13 episodes is scheduled for Sunday evening March 9 on Fox, with rebroadcast on National Geographic Channel immediately following.

Fox? Oh dear, that's not encouraging ...

nodalpoint
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 06/03/13

Loc: FEMA camp
Re: COSMOS remake coming spring 2014 new [Re: brianb11213]
      #6302942 - 01/09/14 08:25 PM

Quote:

Fox? Oh dear, that's not encouraging ...

Why? NBC, CBS or ABC would be somehow different?

Edited by nodalpoint (01/09/14 08:25 PM)

MikeBOKC
Post Laureate

#6302946 - 01/09/14 08:29 PM

Indications are they are going to promote this very heavily as a "television event of the year" kind of thing. Ann Druyan, Sagan's widow, and Steven Soter, who was a co-writer of the original series, are co-producing, and if you have not googled to watch the rather extensive video trailer you should . . . they have clearly cut no corners. I think it is quite the investment for Fox and appreciate them undertaking this project.

TheObserver
sage

Reged: 09/24/13

Loc: Light Polluted, NY
      #6302955 - 01/09/14 08:33 PM

i wont be surprise if fox cancel the show after 13eps. thats what they usually do

nodalpoint
Pooh-Bah

Re: COSMOS remake coming spring 2014 new [Re: TheObserver]
      #6302983 - 01/09/14 08:52 PM

Quote:

i wont be surprise if fox cancel the show after 13eps. thats what they usually do

It's not a new ongoing series, it's a 13-part documentary like the original was.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cosmos:_A_Space-Time_Odyssey

TheObserver
sage

Reged: 09/24/13

Loc: Light Polluted, NY
Re: COSMOS remake coming spring 2014 new [Re: nodalpoint]
      #6303273 - 01/09/14 11:39 PM

well let just hope they give Neil a chill pill, i think sometimes when he start talking he get too excited and hyper

Edited by TheObserver (01/09/14 11:39 PM)

panhardModerator
It's All Good

Reged: 01/20/08

Loc: Markham Ontario Canada
Re: COSMOS remake coming spring 2014 new [Re: TheObserver]
      #6303285 - 01/09/14 11:53 PM

Well I get both channels let's hope the Canadian feed carries it.

OrlandoMatt
sage

Reged: 11/22/13

Loc: Orlando, FL
Re: COSMOS remake coming spring 2014 new [Re: panhard]
      #6303978 - 01/10/14 11:08 AM

Some of you are amazing, you *BLEEP* and moan in the "is amateur astronomy dying" thread then come here and whine about how it's FOX and it's going to be whatever...

It's a science show on a major network with people who really do love science.

Who cares if it's good or bad, it's a step in the right direction and not storage wars. "I need $3000 for this container... well I can't give you $3000 but I'll give you $2000... well I don't know... Paul over there seems mighty interested" ugh stab me with a spoon.

MacFarlane has been publicly passionate about science, specifically about getting kids excited about it, for a while now. And he's now backing that up.

Do you know how many dummies Neil deGrasse Tyson has turned onto looking up and considering the wonders of the universe? He might not have a monocle and a cool title but he's Black and has a cool mustache!

You know what else Neil has done for us? My 15 year old son, who's a typical sports playing and texting 15 year old watching Big Bang Theory sees Neil on the show who I mention who/why he's doing a guest cameo which leads to space and telescopes makes my son later on skip his turn while we play Call of Duty on the Playstation 4 and asks nonchalantly "hey dad (with a barely there mustache of his own...) let's get out your telescope and see maybe if we can find something."

Done deal.

Matt out.

/MICDROP

jca345

Reged: 09/06/13

Loc: SE Pennsylvania
      #6309639 - 01/13/14 07:14 AM

Neil D. Tyson's main contribution to science in general seems to me to be oriented more towards entertainment aspects rather than hard scrap in the field. I have often considered that the reasoning behind his spearheading the movement against Pluto's "planetary status" was weighted less for scientific contribution and more for drawing attention to himself and his colleagues looking for attention and recognition.

Sagan was truly great and did what he did for the science, IMO.

Although I am not really a fanboy of Neil D. Tyson, I look forward to watching. Hopefully the series upholds the integrity of the original and brings the concepts to a wide audience in an appealing and accurate way without alienating the audience. I feel that Sagan certainly accomplished that...

Can we all just give ourselves a big now?

Edited by jca345 (01/14/14 09:31 AM)

dawziecat
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/20/10

Loc: Rural Nova Scotia
Re: COSMOS remake coming spring 2014 new [Re: jca345]
      #6309791 - 01/13/14 09:04 AM

Once a scientist achieves celebrity recognition, and begins making money through frequent media appearances, you have to wonder.

I know nothing about deGrasse Tyson and do not wish, in any way, to impugn the man.

My interest is more with Sagan. When he rose to media prominence I was engaged in graduate studies in astronomy. This brought me in contact with a small cadre of professional astronomers. There was an undercurrent of, for want of better words, "skepticism," or "perhaps, "resentment" against Sagan for his media "work."

I can't say it was widespread, let alone "universal."

But it was there.

Don't misunderstand me, IMO, Sagan's professional stature was never in question and his contributions to planetary science are indisputable, long-standing, and significant.

His long reign as editor of Icarus speaks for itself.

Edited by dawziecat (01/13/14 09:05 AM)

nodalpoint
Pooh-Bah

Re: COSMOS remake coming spring 2014 new [Re: dawziecat]
      #6310054 - 01/13/14 11:23 AM

One thing that never seems to change is how gossipy and judgemental people are about others. Even so called intelligent people. It's like a bunch of prissy school girls talking about someone being fat.

A 13 hour, big budget science show is ready to run to a potentially huge audience and people are finding a way to dislike it because of trivial nonsense.

I'm looking forward to the show: If it's bad, it's bad. If it's good, it's good. I'm going in with an open mind and hope for the best. Nobody has seen it so it's nuts to pre-judge it based on the host, producer or network it will air.

gene 4181
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 11/12/13

Loc: n.e. ohio
      #6310146 - 01/13/14 12:07 PM

i'm going to watch it. and i hope it does draw in new people to astronomy. and if they sell the series on cd, i will buy it, some on this site are worried that it won't have its intended purpose, to re-awaken a interest in astronomy and space.

Doc Willie
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/31/10

Loc: Mid-Hudson Valley, NY, USA
Re: COSMOS remake coming spring 2014 new [Re: gene 4181]
      #6310323 - 01/13/14 01:41 PM

Granted, NdGT is not Carl Sagan.

Granted, he has not made any major contributions to astrophysics.

Granted, he may mainly be a showman with an ego the size of the orbit of Neptune.

Granted, many of us are not fans of some of Fox Network's productions.

Now, tell me.

How can this series be detrimental to astronomy?

OrlandoMatt
sage

Reged: 11/22/13

Loc: Orlando, FL
Re: COSMOS remake coming spring 2014 new [Re: Doc Willie]
      #6310389 - 01/13/14 02:14 PM

^

Best post yet

panhardModerator
It's All Good

Re: COSMOS remake coming spring 2014 new [Re: OrlandoMatt]
      #6310398 - 01/13/14 02:19 PM

+1 Good going Doc.

raptor1956

Reged: 10/17/13

Loc: SLC, Utah, USA
      #6310477 - 01/13/14 03:10 PM

I for one am willing to see what they do with it so I won't jump to conclusions before it even airs...

Yes, I am suspect as to motive but a great deal has happened in Astronomy since Cosmos first aired and I'm willing to give them a chance...

Brian

gene 4181
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 11/12/13

Loc: n.e. ohio
      #6310480 - 01/13/14 03:12 PM

remember, these are just opinions and perspectives of people posted on this thread. whether some seem snobbish, or negative thats their opinion, and i welcome a good conversation.i've seen bloodier noses in the refractor forum, this versus that. or go back to lousy winter weather and have a read. sometimes we get emphatic about our opinions. was carl sagan not emphatic in his writings.? did he not stir our souls a little?

MikeBOKC
Post Laureate

Re: COSMOS remake coming spring 2014 new [Re: gene 4181]
      #6310544 - 01/13/14 03:47 PM

Tyson is not an academic astronomer. He runs the Hayden Planetarium. He is a professional science popularizer, which suits him well for this show.

Sagan was sniped at by many academic astronomers because, well, as anyone knows who has ever worked in a university, academics can be among the most petty and jealous and turf-conscious folks anywhere, a lot like junior high school girls.

COSMOS will be nothing but good for astronomy. Several million people who would not ordinarily have taken the time to seek out information about astronomy will be exposed to it, and many will stick around for most or all of the 13 weeks of the series because it will feature the high production values made possible by its airing on a major network.

As noted above, what is not to like? I suppose some folks will quibble over the way some science is presented on the shows, but it might help to remember that the audience for this (and the original COSMOS in 1980) was and is not folks like us, but Joe Lunchpail.

LivingNDixie
TSP Chowhound

Reged: 04/23/03

Loc: Trussville, AL
      #6310603 - 01/13/14 04:25 PM

Frankly I have seen the original Cosmos. It was impressive for when it came out.

But what got me hooked space was a NOVA special on the Voyager Grand Tour. It probably aired around 1991 or 1992. I was a 5th grader at the time, and after it aired I looked up NASA in the World Book Encyclopedia. I read about the planets and astronomy. Somewhere in there I found a address for NASA HQ. I wrote a letter and went on and one about space and the planets and asked where I could get copies of those pictures I had seen in the series.

Well about a month later I get a yellow envelope from NASA and inside was a bunch of information on Voyager and other space/astronomy information. Also was a letter (handwritten) on JPL with address to get pictures and the like.

Had it not been for one NOVA program on PBS I never would have discovered space exploration and astronomy. I have no idea who wrote that address all those years ago, probably some low grade GS5 Whoever they are Thank You for inspiring some kid back in the day to look up and wonder.

Society needs scientists, but it also needs the science educators.

I hope lots of young people see this and get inspired to look up and wonder!

herrointment
Post Laureate

#6310615 - 01/13/14 04:30 PM

I wrote NASA about the very same thing and was gobsmacked by the reams of material they sent my way. Even sent beautiful 35mm slides of the planets....lots of them.

I've loved the sciences ever since.

I might even plug the TV back in for this remake of Cosmos.

The old series taught me so many concepts I'd had difficulty with. The timeline was especially well done IMO. And Flatland! When Mr. Sagan opened his mouth I was all ears.

FrankJ

Re: COSMOS remake coming spring 2014 new [Re: herrointment]
      #6310809 - 01/13/14 06:20 PM

I wasn't going to weigh in on this one because most of you know more about astronomy than I do, so I can't respond to some of the posts. But I do know what I enjoy watching on TV. I always did like to watch Cosmos and I'm sure I will enjoy it when it's back. Everyone has an opinion about the person who hosts it and that I can understand. What I don't understand is why so many are upset because it will be shown on FOX. Cosmos will be what it will regardless of where they show it; be it FOX, National Geographic or the Disney channel. Now maybe there is something that I don't understand. If so, will someone please tell me what it is.

nodalpoint
Pooh-Bah

#6310937 - 01/13/14 07:31 PM

Frank, I think it boils down to people's politics and the filter they choose to see the world through. Seems to be a confusion over Fox's news broadcasting versus its entertainment channels. It's a shame things have gotten this way but more precisely that people allowed themselves to be manipulated so easily no matter what "side" they happen to be on.

MikeBOKC
Post Laureate

#6311052 - 01/13/14 08:28 PM

I suspect two unrelated things are at work here. Some probably believe that PBS is the "proper" home for a serious science program, especially since the original COSMOS aired there. They likely see the Fox network as strictly an entertainment venue, which of course is correct, just as it would be about CBS or NBC or ABC; all of them broadcast their share of tripe, which to some purists probably taints COSMOS by association.

The second issue for some, as suggested above, is probably political. There are on the political extremes a fair number of somewhat virulent haters who sincerely believe that any person or institution with a different point of view from theirs is evil. Since Fox News (which only has a corporate connection to Fox entertainment network) takes a largely conservative point of view, one supposes that some on the left loathe them. Sad, but true. I continue to look forward to the new COSMOS as a potential big boost for our hobby, and I really cannot envision it being seriously flawed with Sagan's widow and the writer of the original series so deeply involved.

herrointment
Post Laureate

#6311063 - 01/13/14 08:33 PM

I take it with MacFarlane involved those concerns about the network will prove to be unfounded. I hope.

tecmageModerator
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/13/10

Loc: Glenview, IL
      #6311125 - 01/13/14 09:00 PM

Quote:

Tyson is not an academic astronomer. He runs the Hayden Planetarium. He is a professional science popularizer, which suits him well for this show.

Sagan was a popularizer as well.

Quote:

Sagan was sniped at by many academic astronomers because, well, as anyone knows who has ever worked in a university, academics can be among the most petty and jealous and turf-conscious folks anywhere, a lot like junior high school girls.

PhDs aren't given, they are earned. To earn one, you need to develop sound research that advances the knowledge in your field. Your professional reputation is your life. You are promoted based on your work, and most academics never make it to full professor. Sagan did something outside the box. He became famous outside of the field for popularizing the science of his field.

Quote:

COSMOS will be nothing but good for astronomy. Several million people who would not ordinarily have taken the time to seek out information about astronomy will be exposed to it, and many will stick around for most or all of the 13 weeks of the series because it will feature the high production values made possible by its airing on a major network.

Agreed. I'm curious to see how Fox handles it. Fox doesn't do many science-based series.

Quote:

As noted above, what is not to like? I suppose some folks will quibble over the way some science is presented on the shows, but it might help to remember that the audience for this (and the original COSMOS in 1980) was and is not folks like us, but Joe Lunchpail.

That was the knock on the original series. Sagan made the science understandable. He also wove some of the history of that science into the concepts- that was one thing that was different and exciting and influenced my own pursuit of an advanced degree.

I loved the original and will give Dr Tyson an opportunity to wow my kids the way Sagan wowed me.

AstroFalcon

Reged: 12/30/12

Loc: Colorado Springs, CO
Re: COSMOS remake coming spring 2014 new [Re: tecmage]
      #6311182 - 01/13/14 09:29 PM

As one of CN's millenials (age 32), I am amused at the amount of skepticism being displayed within this thread. The fact is, as I've stated in other threads, I'm new to amateur astronomy and I wasn't even born when the Sagan Cosmos originally aired. My family was never really science-minded so I never saw reruns growing up either--and still haven't.

Do I feel like I'm a lesser human being for all this being the case? Not at all. I am personally looking forward to the NdGT Cosmos come March. Why? Simply because it is a departure from all that is on regular broadcast tv. The new edition of Cosmos (and it is a new edition, not a remake) will bring real science to millions of people who otherwise wouldn't get it.

So let's not pass judgment on something that none of us have seen yet, and please lets stop pining for how we *thought* things should have been done.

Bottom line: its our job to get behind anything that advances our common interests and this hobby. Put another way: Would any of you sacrifice your young kids becoming interested in astronomy and science all because something wasn't how "Sagan did it back in 1980?"

Edited by AstroFalcon (01/13/14 09:31 PM)

nodalpoint
Pooh-Bah

Re: COSMOS remake coming spring 2014 new [Re: AstroFalcon]
      #6311228 - 01/13/14 09:56 PM

Watch the original Cosmos falcon, it's on YouTube. If you don't, you're missing out it's still great and you'll learn a lot.

Daniel Mounsey
Vendor (Woodland Hills)

Reged: 06/12/02

#6311468 - 01/14/14 12:03 AM

Brian Cox would have been a much better choice but Tyson's comical behavior may appeal to a younger audience.

brianb11213
Postmaster

#6311619 - 01/14/14 04:25 AM

Quote:

What I don't understand is why so many are upset because it will be shown on FOX. Cosmos will be what it will regardless of where they show it

Um, no.

There are two issues here:

1. if Fox have commissioned the series, they will almost certainly have had a significant input into the content & we know from experience that means dumb down & don't say anything that might confuse or irritate the proportion of the population that considers the Book of Genesis to be the only valid science text book.

2. if Fox have bought in the production from elsewhere, they will have "reversioned" the content to suit what their advertisers see as the core audience. There are numerous examples of documentary programmes originating from the same independently produced source having totally different appearances when broadcast on different networks.

Granted that the same applies to other networks, but Fox sets a lower common denominator than most. True there are a few Fox programmes that have managed to acquire significant freedom from editorial interference (The Simpsons tends to spring to mind) but only because the programme has gained sufficient clout for Fox (or, more accurately, Fox's advertising clients) to need to hang on to them regardless.

herrointment
Post Laureate

#6311674 - 01/14/14 06:11 AM

Ever watched "Family Guy"?

See my previous post.

AstroFalcon

Reged: 12/30/12

Loc: Colorado Springs, CO
      #6311745 - 01/14/14 08:02 AM

Quote:

if Fox have commissioned the series, they will almost certainly have had a significant input into the content & we know from experience that means dumb down & don't say anything that might confuse or irritate the proportion of the population that considers the Book of Genesis to be the only valid science text book.

I respectfully disagree. If they wanted to dumb down the new edition of Cosmos or appeal to the population who are Christians as you claim, why bring in someone who has a PhD in astrophysics? Doesn't that run counter to your viewpoint? Furthermore, it stands to reason that if your assertions are accurate that there would have been a different choice in hosts.

If you or others here on CN are so against the new show, don't watch it. It's that simple.

FrankJ

#6311759 - 01/14/14 08:17 AM

Quote:

Quote:

What I don't understand is why so many are upset because it will be shown on FOX. Cosmos will be what it will regardless of where they show it

Um, no.
I don't see it that way. However, I cannot dispute what you are saying because I really don't know. And I will not criticize anyone unless I have some fact swhich I do not. However I believe that you are assuming way too much.

1. if Fox have commissioned the series, they will almost certainly have had a significant input into the content & we know from experience that means dumb down & don't say anything that might confuse or irritate the proportion of the population that considers the Book of Genesis to be the only valid science text book.

2. if Fox have bought in the production from elsewhere, they will have "reversioned" the content to suit what their advertisers see as the core audience. There are numerous examples of documentary programmes originating from the same independently produced source having totally different appearances when broadcast on different networks.

Granted that the same applies to other networks, but Fox sets a lower common denominator than most. True there are a few Fox programmes that have managed to acquire significant freedom from editorial interference (The Simpsons tends to spring to mind) but only because the programme has gained sufficient clout for Fox (or, more accurately, Fox's advertising clients) to need to hang on to them regardless.

raptor1956

#6311839 - 01/14/14 09:19 AM

We can speculate all we want, but until it airs it's just speculation.

As I said before, there have been a great many new findings in Astronomy in the last 30 odd years so there is room for improvement even if that's unlikely.

One thing that would be great is a segment on amatuer astornomy and how that's changed since the 80's. If they do something on this, and it to is unlikely, it could open the doors to a new amatuer astronomy boom. As i've said before, the relative quality of images amateurs were able to make 30 years ago was way below what the big guys were producing at the major observatories, but nowadays, with goto mounts, digital imagers, autoguiders and image processing software we little guys are much closer to the big boys.

I'd love to see such a segment though I'd be surprised if they have one...

Brian

csrlice12
Postmaster

Re: COSMOS remake coming spring 2014 new [Re: raptor1956]
      #6311881 - 01/14/14 09:45 AM

While I'm hoping, I'm expecting pretty pictures and lots of nice background music, maybe something scientific like stars shine. Sorry, Fox and Science just don't mix.....

nodalpoint
Pooh-Bah

#6311964 - 01/14/14 10:17 AM

Quote:

Um, no.

You have no idea what you are saying and come off like a hater. If it were going to be aired on CNN would you be agreeing with people claiming it would be written for godless heathens who want the UN to take over the world?

raptor1956

#6312027 - 01/14/14 10:51 AM

Pretty much all of TV is in free fall from a quality standpoint. The Weather Channel is being dropped by DirecTV and although I like and respect many of the personnel on TWC the programming has shifted to something like 40% reality programming since NBC bought them out in 2008. I travel a lot and I usually like to check out the weather before going to bed, but during prime-time they have solid blocks of many hours without a single second of weather news. I hope DTV drops TWC and that TWC goes out of business as that would make other open there eyes.

TWC is not alone as there are many examples of TV networks morphing into reality programming channels. The worst is the History channel which devotes an enormous amount of time to Ancient Aliens etc. But, the History channel doesn't have quite the same utility need that TWC has, or had. Of the rest, CNN is also on my list of networks that need to be dropped by DTV as they to have moved too far into the reality programming game. And, it's not so much that they have such programming it's how they devote contiguous blocks of time to it such that you can go hours without even a second of actual news.

There are lots of reasons to suspect what Fox will do with Cosmos and I admit I'm a little worried about their meddling, but I will withhold judgement until I see it.

Brian

brianb11213
Postmaster

#6312055 - 01/14/14 11:08 AM

Quote:

You have no idea what you are saying and come off like a hater. If it were going to be aired on CNN would you be agreeing with people claiming it would be written for godless heathens who want the UN to take over the world?

Hater? No. It's just that anything appearing on Fox doesn't fill me with confidence as to quality. I'd be happy to be proved wrong.

As for CNN, I don't see what the relevance is. There are so many continuous rolling news services from all over the world that you can easily find one tuned to whatever your personal preferences might be, or better still sample a selection of them and make your own decisions as to where the truth might lie.

csrlice12
Postmaster

#6312062 - 01/14/14 11:10 AM

Next week on Fox: Alien Dynasty......

dawziecat
Carpal Tunnel

#6312117 - 01/14/14 11:33 AM

It's pointless, but I'll weigh in anyway.

TV is choc-a-bloc full of trash. I don't mean the vacuous, but fun sitcoms and the like. They're fine.

The feeding of the populace with paranormal and alien stuff may be fun to a few but I've met people who believe this stuff. I've also met people who think the president's birth certificate is probably a fake . . . and that believe ear-candling works.

Funny thing, Ancient Aliens isn't broadcast on PBS. Wonder why that is . . .

Still, I am not prejudging the Cosmos remake. I am not even skeptical. Truth is, millions may watch it on Fox that don't even know what the PBS channel number is on their cable system. Fox handling the series might even be a good thing, allowing the series to reach a far greater audience than it would on PBS.

Time will tell. That the entertainment networks COULD louse this up, by the allocation of equal time to cosmology and creationism, for example, doesn't mean they WILL mess it up.

We'll see.

Wouldn't it be staggering if the series gets canceled after a few episodes due to the usual driving factors in commercial TV, small audience and failure to generate ad. rev.

Wonder what they'll choose to go head-to-head with on the other networks? Duck Dynasty? Probably not.

Doc Willie
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/31/10

Loc: Mid-Hudson Valley, NY, USA
Re: COSMOS remake coming spring 2014 new [Re: dawziecat]
      #6312267 - 01/14/14 12:54 PM

One concern I have: commercial breaks. These introduce a major factor into how an hour of TV is programmed, aside from the lost time. They interrupt the narrative flow, or at least force it into being edited into smaller pieces.

We shall see.

nodalpoint
Pooh-Bah

#6312312 - 01/14/14 01:24 PM

People interested in astronomy should be out telling everyone they know about this new show that's going to be on tv next month and totally making a big deal out of it. Instead they're online finding a way to find faults before even seeing a minute of it.

Like Tyson and Druyan would allow themselves to be part of a show that gives weight to ancient aliens and ghosts. Or handles religion in anything but a historic, even-handed way.

What a shame some can be so negative based on their own beliefs.

raptor1956

#6312318 - 01/14/14 01:27 PM

Quote:

Quote:

As for CNN, I don't see what the relevance is. There are so many continuous rolling news services from all over the world that you can easily find one tuned to whatever your personal preferences might be, or better still sample a selection of them and make your own decisions as to where the truth might lie.

I have DirecTV and the three major 24 hour news programs are:

FoxNews, CNN and MSNBC. I refuse to endure FoxNews and MSNBC is not much better so that leaves me CNN, but too many hours a day it's reality programming.

Brian

brianb11213
Postmaster

#6312368 - 01/14/14 01:55 PM

Quote:

I have DirecTV and the three major 24 hour news programs are:

FoxNews, CNN and MSNBC. I refuse to endure FoxNews and MSNBC is not much better so that leaves me CNN, but too many hours a day it's reality programming.

Brian

Wow. I thought we were badly off here in Europe so far as numbers of channels were concerned.

On my non-subscription non-HD satellite receiver I have the following channels which appear to broadcast news & current affairs 24x7, no reality TV, no sitcoms, no dramas; all broadcast in English language:

Sky News
Bloomberg
BBC News
BBC Parliament
CNBC
CNN
Euronews
CCTV News (China)
RT (Russia)
France News
Al Jazeera
CNC World (China)
eNCA Africa (South Africa)
Arise News (Nigeria)

I used to get NHK (Japan) but our satellite constellation now only has the HD version.

I could receive Fox News if I subscribed. That ain't gonna happen.

raptor1956

#6312414 - 01/14/14 02:18 PM

Well a couple of those, Bloomberg and CNBC are not true news outlets and are in fact largely limited to business news. They may have the occasional story beyond the business sector but there focus is business.

Al Jazeera is more of a world news outfit and they do tend to have a certain viewpoint that you have to figure in.

I do get BBC America and they also have news but it's not 24 hour and, frankly, when I watch that channel it's more likely because I'm watching Top Gear -- again, not a news program...

The American market for news has been declining for a while and many of the old guard have partly or completely farmed out the news gathering to others. It's not uncommon, for example, to see weather reports on NBC/CBS/ABC that originate from TWC and a similar thing with other news items.

It's saddening to see the once mighty CNN decline they way they have and appear to want to be something else -- a reality programming network.

The thing that these 24 hour news networks offered was the ability to tune in at any time and come up to speed on the news and weather in 10-15 minutes or so, but when they have a block of time spanning 3 or more hours that contains zero news (reality programming) you can't just tune in and expect to find out what's going on.

I'll step off my soapbox now but I know I'm not alone with this...

Brian

Edited by raptor1956 (01/14/14 02:20 PM)

FrankJ

#6312453 - 01/14/14 02:41 PM

I am very much surprised at how many are negative on this simply because they don't like FOX News. Quite honestly, I don't like MSNBC. But if they chose MSNBC to show Cosmos, I would have no problem with it and would be happy to watch it. We all have a right to like or dislike any TV channel. But why can't we just forget what we dislike and enjoy watching it?

dawziecat
Carpal Tunnel

#6312522 - 01/14/14 03:16 PM

I've read through the thread and don't see why people are decrying negativity. I don't see that much negativity or pre-judgment. I certainly hope my comments were not taken as such. I agree whole-heartedly that deGrasse-Tyson and Druyan are not likely to put their reputations on the line for a bunch of nonsense. "Ain't gonn'a happen!"

What could, and I emphasize the word, COULD, happen is a right-wing reaction to a view of the cosmos springing forth from nothing.

I am certainly not "predicting" any such thing . . . but it would not surprise me. The old "Then a miracle happens" cartoon comes to mind.

On PBS, it would fly by without right wing notice. On FOX?
They may take note . . . and exception.

Just conjecture on my part. I WILL be watching, but I'll DVR-it. I have no stomach for ads!

Wmacky
Carpal Tunnel

#6312544 - 01/14/14 03:21 PM

Quote:

One concern I have: commercial breaks. These introduce a major factor into how an hour of TV is programmed, aside from the lost time. They interrupt the narrative flow, or at least force it into being edited into smaller pieces.

We shall see.

Ding, ding ding, we have a winner.

This could be the one factor (other than no Carl Sagan) that completely changes the feel of the show. That's the thing that I believe really made the original Cosmos different from all that has come after, and what may hurt the new version the most.

The lack on commercials kept the narrative and flow going. It was more like a science movie than a TV show. I remember watching it, and getting completely sucked in for the entire hour.

I later saw the commercial rebroadcast of Cosmos complete with commercials. Just ruined in my opinion.

jrbarnett
Eyepiece Hooligan

#6312551 - 01/14/14 03:22 PM

Competition improves the breed.

In academia as much as anywhere else.

Grants are scarce. Multiple professors and their respective teams pursue them. To the victor go the spoils.

Personally I wouldn't have it any other way. Quasi-Socio-Academic Darwinism FTW!

- Jim

nodalpoint
Pooh-Bah

#6312561 - 01/14/14 03:26 PM

Quote:

If you don't watch it, how can you comment about it or any channel with such authority? You just think it's bad because someone said it's bad?

I don't watch much tv news other than the local nightly news. We subscribe to the Economist and a couple newspapers (sorry pulpwood). If there's video footage I want to see I turn on tv news and then try to watch several versions of a story so will flip between CNN, Fox, or CBS.

I'd like to thank Fox in advance for having the guts to air 13 hours of brand new science programming. I don't see any of the other major networks in the U.S. doing anything even remotely similar!

GTog

Reged: 10/11/13

#6312562 - 01/14/14 03:27 PM

I would love to just sit & enjoy, except that people with editorial axes to grind keep messing with my facts. You have your

1) Fluff that Discovery uses to take up space (How the Universe Works)

2) "Specials" cooked up by news organizations that are, at best, sloppy (Pandora's Promise on CNN, full of long since disproven urban legends presented as fact)

3) Thinly disguised commercials (Waiting for Superman, the charter school promotion that forgets to mentions that only a small percentage of them are actually any better than public schools)

I could go on if I thought about it. Might be fun to categorize all the documentary and doc-type TV shows you could think of, just to see how few of them really are, and not some kind of fraud.

Anyway, Cosmos was (is) near and dear to a lot of people, and Tyson is as good a presenter as any, but I don't hold out much hope that today's media could produce a science series of that caliber again.

panhardModerator
It's All Good

#6312794 - 01/14/14 05:12 PM

Don't get your hopes up too high, then you won't be too disappointed. Who knows it might start some people engaging in our hobby.

brianb11213
Postmaster

#6312809 - 01/14/14 05:17 PM

Quote:

Quote:

If you don't watch it, how can you comment about it or any channel with such authority?

1) I don't confuse Fox News with the Fox entertainment channels.

2) We do get the Fox entertainment channels here, it's just that they're branded Sky and have different schedules (premieres usually a few months later than in the US). Fox and Sky are pure Murdoch / News International companies & they're run by the same top brass to the same business interests.

3) In any case I have direct & fairly recent exposure to US Fox network broadcasts. Limited because I pretty soon found better places to get entertainment.

It will be interesting to see if and when Sky get round to broadcasting the Cosmos remake or, when we do eventually get it, it's reversioned for one of the other channels specialising in documentary output. I would suspect the latter as I can't remember the last time Sky advertised anything approaching a documentary on any topic on any of its numerous "family pack" channels.

Space_Girl1234

Reged: 03/06/11

#6312830 - 01/14/14 05:26 PM

Quote:

Quote:

If you don't watch it, how can you comment about it or any channel with such authority? You just think it's bad because someone said it's bad?

I don't watch much tv news other than the local nightly news. We subscribe to the Economist and a couple newspapers (sorry pulpwood). If there's video footage I want to see I turn on tv news and then try to watch several versions of a story so will flip between CNN, Fox, or CBS.

I'd like to thank Fox in advance for having the guts to air 13 hours of brand new science programming. I don't see any of the other major networks in the U.S. doing anything even remotely similar!

My dad said that PBS does it every season.

nodalpoint
Pooh-Bah

Re: COSMOS remake coming spring 2014 new [Re: Space_Girl1234]
      #6312919 - 01/14/14 06:15 PM

PBS isn't a major network. Other than rare programs that draw decent ratings like the British show Downton Abbey or a Ken Burns documentary the number of viewers is small compared to ABC, NBC, CBS and Fox. The other consideration is money to produce a 13-hour high production value show. Fox has that, PBS maybe not.

Putting the new Cosmos on a major network means a bigger audience. When the original aired PBS wasn't nearly as drown out by all the cable channels there are now.

AustinAstronomer
sage

Reged: 03/04/10

#6312993 - 01/14/14 07:07 PM

So, there will be commercials, right? That will just about ruin it for me, at least until the DVD comes out. I can see it now: three minutes of commercials after eight minutes of Tyson, over and over. Yuck! Not like the original Cosmos.

buddyjesus
Carpal Tunnel

Re: COSMOS remake coming spring 2014 new [Re: AustinAstronomer]
      #6312998 - 01/14/14 07:10 PM

that is what DVRs are for. commercial skipping!

Wmacky
Carpal Tunnel

#6313013 - 01/14/14 07:25 PM

Quote:

that is what DVRs are for. commercial skipping!

Not the same thing. The show will be specifically structured around commercial breaks. I really wouldd care less if it is on Fox or not if it weren't for the commercials. For those that will miss the show due only to some political stand against fox, that's a real shame. Your worring about the wrong stuff.

I say if it's not on PBS, and commercial free than it really doesn't matter what network it's on.

Oh, and this reminds me. I really need to break down and buy that Cosmos DVD set. I wonder if the original will get revamped in anyway due to the new show?

Edited by Wmacky (01/14/14 07:28 PM)

MikeBOKC
Post Laureate

#6313022 - 01/14/14 07:37 PM

The current DVD edition of the original COSMOS has postscripts to each episode added by Sagan not long before his death, updating specific new findings related to that episode.

raptor1956

#6313085 - 01/14/14 08:03 PM

Quote:

The current DVD edition of the original COSMOS has postscripts to each episode added by Sagan not long before his death, updating specific new findings related to that episode.

Yes, there has been many new discoveries and changes to many ideas about the cosmos, not only since Cosmos aired but since Sagan updated them before his death now over 17 years ago. IN addition, the ability to use graphics and special effects that didn't even exist 17 let alone 33 years ago offers many opportunities for a great series -- so long as graphics and special effects don't take the place of science.

I have no idea what effect McFarland will have on all of this but suspect it will either be really bad or, hopefully, really good. NdT is a smart guy that is a very good communicator, he may not have Sagan's pedigree as far as actual scientific discovery is concerned but if they have the right group of advisers and can avoid dumbing things down too much this could be great.

And, as I said, if they do a segment on amateur astronomers and the enormous gains that have been made by amateurs I could well see a great many folks take an interest like never before. One thing I'd recommend to anyone in an astronomy club is to think about star parties and other activities that can be opened up to the unwashed masses as we may have as big an impact as the show -- if its good.

Brian

BSJ
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 12/22/08

Loc: Grand Isle, VT
      #6313120 - 01/14/14 08:23 PM

I guess everyone could be arguing about Kirk vs. Pickard.

But that would be less silly than this thread.

FrankJ

Re: COSMOS remake coming spring 2014 new [Re: BSJ]
      #6313140 - 01/14/14 08:35 PM

"Frequently the more trifling the subject, the more animated and protracted the discussion."
~Franklin Pierce~
So let's all relax and enjoy Cosmos.

evanks
journeyman

Reged: 09/20/11

#6313317 - 01/14/14 10:07 PM

I hope to god for the sake of astronomy that it is not dull and full of scientific facts... That's not what gets people interested in science, and this is something Neil knows how to do. Its the first view of Saturn, blowing up a balloon with vinegar and baking soda. People can relate to real fascinating things that is what gets people interested. Think of Bill Nye the science guy... I would contest people like Bill Nye or Neil do more for science than those that actually discover scientifically important ideas. They are the ones recruiting future scientists, just imagine the number of discoveries we would not of had without the Apollo mission or Bill Nye that turned people onto space and science. If you want hard science pull up a scientific journal don't fill vital tv time with scientific facts when you could use it to spark imagination and to have people question the world around them and most importantly Look UP.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | (show all)

Extra information
3 registered and 8 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  cildarith, panhard, tecmage 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 7692

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics