Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

General Astronomy >> General Observing and Astronomy

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
ubermick

Reged: 04/12/12

Loc: San Rafael, CA
Re: A Possible Move to New Mexico in 2015 new [Re: BarbMoore]
      #5822696 - 04/25/13 05:41 PM

Wow, the weather report from Tom's neck of the woods sounds basically identical to what I have here in Northern California (just north of San Francisco) but at a tenth of the cost, and without the marine layer that screws even dark sites up. (And don't get me started on the light pollution)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Danieljtb

Reged: 04/12/11

Loc: eugene OR
Re: A Possible Move to New Mexico in 2015 new [Re: ubermick]
      #5822985 - 04/25/13 08:21 PM

I spend time each summer at my sister's place in Bloomfield NM 25 mi east of Farminton. The skies are quite good ...dark cane be had everywhere in just a few minutes drive. The culture is way diff from MA.. I lived up in Beverly-Salem area for 12yrs The pace is much slower in four corners

As for summer heat, few bother with AC as it gets into the 100s for o ly about a week. The winters are cold and windy ut much drier than in MA

There is no astro club in Farmington area, but the community college there, San Juan has a program thet have an observatory the ondoor kind with stars projected and dooutreach with scopes every so often

I would beleased as could be to live uo there rather than here in soggy Oregon..even tho we have a great club here in Eugene and an hour outa town there is serious dark skies

bherv
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/10/06

Loc: WMass
Re: A Possible Move to New Mexico in 2015 new [Re: Danieljtb]
      #5824502 - 04/26/13 02:04 PM

I figured that it was more laid back out there. Too many people here. I am fortunate enough to be an hour's drive away from decent skies but boy I would love to get out under pristine skies like New Mexico.
Barry

Kfrank
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/20/08

Loc: Northern Colorado
Re: A Possible Move to New Mexico in 2015 new [Re: Tom Clark]
      #5824954 - 04/26/13 05:33 PM

For those folks,who hail from "back east" it's worth noting that Tom Clark's place is indeed 20 minutes away from Deming, but in that part of the country, that's 20 miles. So, the NMAV is essentially 20 miles from the nearest town. That's not a problem if that's what you're expecting, but for someone from Massachusetts as the OP is I believe, that might be a game changer.

Living that far out in the country requires some changes in lifestyle. No just running down to the store for a quart of milk or a loaf of bread here. Also, while it's only 20 minutes to town, that means emergency services are also a good ways away and response may not be quick.

Undoubtedly skies in that high desert area are spectacular, but anyone contemplating a move to a place such as this should consider all aspects. In addition, while the nearest town are about 20 and 30 miles away, it should be remembered that we're not talking major cities here. Deming, for instance, will have pretty much everything you need - BUT, it may not have some of the things one wants or is used to. For info, Deming has a population of about 15,000 while Silver City is about 10,000.

Edited by Kfrank (04/26/13 06:10 PM)

bherv
Carpal Tunnel

Re: A Possible Move to New Mexico in 2015 new [Re: Kfrank]
      #5825195 - 04/26/13 07:34 PM

My company has locations in Clovis, Hobbs, Farmington and Albuquerque.
I would want to be close to one of those towns. I basically narrowed it down to Farmington and Albuquerque. It also depends on an opening at one of those locations. It is more likely to be the Albuquerque area because it is a larger location. The good thing is I would still only be an hour away from dark skies even in Albuquerque.
Barry

BarbMoore
sage

Reged: 05/11/09

Loc: South central New Mexico
Re: A Possible Move to New Mexico in 2015 new [Re: bherv]
      #5825405 - 04/26/13 10:16 PM

If you are ever down in southern NM, come out and view with us at Oliver Lee Memorial State Park.

csrlice12
Postmaster

Reged: 05/22/12

Loc: Denver, CO
Re: A Possible Move to New Mexico in 2015 new [Re: BarbMoore]
      #5826127 - 04/27/13 11:48 AM

East of San Antonio NM (about 50 min South of ABQ) lies White Sands testing grounds. Anywheres East of San Antonio and you're good (Stay away from the Gov't area). Just go, you'll see what I mean. Also, the road will eventually take you to Roswell.....

bherv
Carpal Tunnel

Re: A Possible Move to New Mexico in 2015 new [Re: csrlice12]
      #5826357 - 04/27/13 01:42 PM

I am sure that I will find plenty of dark sky areas in the state should I move there. It is nice to have all the input from fellow CN'ers. If I do get out there I hope to meet some of you.
Barry

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
2 registered and 16 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  cildarith, panhard, tecmage 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1309

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics