Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

General Astronomy >> General Observing and Astronomy

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)
buddyjesus
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 07/07/10

Loc: Davison, Michigan
Re: Most Poorly Named Night Sky Object? new [Re: Tony Flanders]
      #5834344 - 05/01/13 12:57 PM

How about multiple galaxies given the nickname of THE pinwheel galaxy

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
azure1961p
Postmaster

Reged: 01/17/09

Loc: USA
Re: Most Poorly Named Night Sky Object? new [Re: kfiscus]
      #5834845 - 05/01/13 05:23 PM

Anything that starts with Caldwell.

Pete

azure1961p
Postmaster

Reged: 01/17/09

Loc: USA
Re: Most Poorly Named Night Sky Object? new [Re: Cotts]
      #5834852 - 05/01/13 05:26 PM

Quote:

The North America Nebula is more like the "Mexico and the Adjacent American South West" Nebula to me...

Dave

Lol.

P.

Rocketlawnchair

Reged: 06/17/11

Loc: Toronto, ON
Re: Most Poorly Named Night Sky Object? new [Re: azure1961p]
      #5834890 - 05/01/13 05:46 PM

How about planetary nebula as a class of object that has nothing to do with planets? This one used to get me every time.

mogur
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 07/29/11

Loc: WI
Re: Most Poorly Named Night Sky Object? new [Re: Jon Isaacs]
      #5835126 - 05/01/13 08:02 PM

The Horsehead Nebula that looks like a Horse's head.

I had a friend that used to call it the "Horse's A$$" nebula. It really does look more like a rear view of a horse, with the horse sort of turning it's head to look back at you. I can even see a tail there!

rdandrea
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 06/13/10

Loc: Colorado, USA DM59ra
Re: Most Poorly Named Night Sky Object? new [Re: buddyjesus]
      #5835187 - 05/01/13 08:45 PM

Quote:

How about multiple galaxies given the nickname of THE pinwheel galaxy

Stole my comment.

Regarding whoever above was dissing M13, find me a better glob that you can see in the northern hemisphere. People who live in Texas and S. Florida who can see Omega Centauri need not apply.

Tony Flanders
Postmaster

Reged: 05/18/06

Loc: Cambridge, MA, USA
Re: Most Poorly Named Night Sky Object? new [Re: rdandrea]
      #5835676 - 05/02/13 05:57 AM

Quote:

Regarding whoever above was dissing M13, find me a better glob that you can see in the northern hemisphere.

I find M5 much more interesting and attractive than M13. Only a hair brighter, though.

Still, M13 qualifies as a Great Cluster by any measure.

On the subject of M42, I know Jon was joking. But the fact that it's called just the Orion Nebula or Great Orion Nebula is actually a compliment. Lesser objects need fancy names to hype them; the Great Orion Nebula speaks for itself.

rtomw77
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 10/06/04

Loc: Deer Valley, AZ
Re: Most Poorly Named Night Sky Object? new [Re: azure1961p]
      #5835706 - 05/02/13 07:00 AM

Quote:

Anything that starts with Caldwell.

Pete

Most of these that are visible from my suburban back yard have not impressed me either.

Tom

Mark Costello
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/08/05

Loc: Matthews, NC, USA
Re: Most Poorly Named Night Sky Object? new [Re: rtomw77]
      #5835846 - 05/02/13 09:16 AM

One of mine would be the Beehive Cluster. When I observe it at low power, I see some letters.

RussL
Music Maker

Reged: 03/18/08

Loc: Cayce and Lancaster, SC
Re: Most Poorly Named Night Sky Object? new [Re: Mark Costello]
      #5836180 - 05/02/13 12:24 PM

The reason I like the Beehive name is so I can tell the mythological story. See, it is between two stars, the upper one is known as the Northern *BLEEP*, and the lower one the Southern *BLEEP*. And so, there were two warriors (kings, I think, but I forget their names) who rode these two asses into battle. No wonder they fought so hard with a Beehive being between their Asses. LOL.

EDIT: I just knew those words would get bleeped. Ok, but they're not really bad words. Anyway, it's just funny.

Edited by RussL (05/02/13 12:47 PM)

uniondrone
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/05/09

Loc: Streetlight Archipelago
Re: Most Poorly Named Night Sky Object? new [Re: jrbarnett]
      #5837050 - 05/02/13 07:11 PM

Quote:

Why stop a objects. There are entire constellations with nearly incomprehensible names. Coma Berenices anyone? How's about Camelopardalis?

Misnamed objects the "Horsehead Nebula". Does that...

http://www.nasa.gov/images/content/742879main_hubble_horsehead_cropped_946-71...

...even remotely look like a horse head? Of course not. It is *clearly* the Twi'leh Nebula. Jeesh.

- Jim

Actually Camelopardalis is a great name for a boring constellation. The ancient Romans (or was it the Greeks?) thought that Giraffes were hybrids of the camel and the leopard, hence Camelopardalis!

Skylook123
Postmaster

Reged: 04/30/05

Loc: Tucson, AZ
Re: Most Poorly Named Night Sky Object? new [Re: jrbarnett]
      #5841482 - 05/05/13 11:27 AM

Quote:

Why stop a objects. There are entire constellations with nearly incomprehensible names. Coma Berenices anyone? ...

- Jim

Ah, but the genesis of the name has to be taken into account. Queen Berenice of Egypt was concerned that her husband, King Ptolemy III, would be harmed in an upcoming battle. Famous for her legendary long, beautiful hair (Coma, Greek for hair and thus Comets are Stars With Hair), she offered her hair as a sacrifice to Hera, Zeus' wife, if her husband returned from the battle. He returned unharmed, so Berenice fulfilled her promise and shaved off her hair and delivered it to an oracle. Zeus was so impressed by the sacrifice that he took possession of the gift and placed it in the heavens as the Coma Open Cluster Mel-111, a gorgeous naked eye cluster at a dark site, as a lesson for sacrifice for the benefit of another. And it lies quite close to the North Galactic Pole, under which the Milky Way rotates. So, when the constellations were acquiring their names, Zeus' iconic placement was honored with its own constellation. It's the home of Mel-111, Berenice's sacrifice for the return of her husband unharmed from battle.

It's a fitting element to a night sky tour during summer months, teaching the lesson of sacrificing for the benefit of others, plus pointing to the NGP overhead during the summer. Polaris as the NCP, the core of the galaxy in Sagittarius on the opposite side of the sky, the plane of the ecliptic passing through the area, and Mel-111, Berenice's sacrifice, make for a good celestial orientation opportunity at public summer events.

Skylook123
Postmaster

Reged: 04/30/05

Loc: Tucson, AZ
Re: Most Poorly Named Night Sky Object? new [Re: mogur]
      #5841497 - 05/05/13 11:36 AM

Quote:

I've heard NGC 457 referred to as the "E.T." cluster. I never could see that. It looks more like a lobster to me.

I use it a lot a school events, since young folks do see the Owl shape, and it's available for the entire school year since it is nearly circumpolar sitting in Cassiopeia. I've heard it also called Johnny 5 after the robot in Short Circuit (waving its arms saying "No Dissassemble!!"), some cultures also call it the Kachina Doll, and one night I was doing a scout camporee on Davis-Monthan AFB and one of the scouts said it looked like an F-15.

Every Halloween, I set up a 10" SCT in front of the house and use it since in the star diagonal in October it appears upside down, so I call it The Bat.

JoeR
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 03/07/10

Loc: Columbus, OH
Re: Most Poorly Named Night Sky Object? new [Re: Skylook123]
      #5863914 - 05/16/13 08:51 AM

The Deer lick Galaxy. Everytime I view it there's no resemblence to a salt block.

BillFerris
Post Laureate

Reged: 07/17/04

Loc: Flagstaff, Arizona, USA
Re: Most Poorly Named Night Sky Object? new [Re: JoeR]
      #5864133 - 05/16/13 10:35 AM

Quote:

The Deer lick Galaxy. Everytime I view it there's no resemblence to a salt block.

I will second this nomination. The Deer Lick Group is the worst nickname to gain traction in the deep sky community. The story goes that a group of deep sky enthusiasts observing at Deer Lick Gap in North Carolina enjoyed a particularly fine view of NGC 7331 and several nearby galaxies, one night. In remembrance of a great night of observing, they decided to refer to this collection of galaxies as the Deer Lick Group. While this may be a fine nickname for folks who observe at Deer Lick Gap, it has zero meaning for anybody else. It's almost as useless as the Caldwell designations.

Here's a link to an old observation made with the 10 inch of NGC's 7331, 7335 and 7337: NGC 7331 & Co. NGC's 7336 and 7340 also share this patch of sky.

Bill in Flag

Smittty692k4
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/05/11

Loc: East Bernard, TX
Re: Most Poorly Named Night Sky Object? new [Re: BSJ]
      #5864223 - 05/16/13 11:17 AM

Quote:

The Flame Nebula looks like a Squirrel to me…

if I look on Stellarium one day and see "squirrel nebula" at least I kow EXACTLY where to look.

Gert K A
sage

Reged: 07/16/12

Loc: Copenhagen, Denmark
Re: Most Poorly Named Night Sky Object? new [Re: kfiscus]
      #5864231 - 05/16/13 11:19 AM

I always found the Milky Way strange (food in the sky :O ) now that could have deserved something inspiring like Coma Berenices

And for sure +1 on Uranus (That is just an awkward name)

Now we are at names what’s up with “The Big Bang”

Smittty692k4
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/05/11

Loc: East Bernard, TX
Re: Most Poorly Named Night Sky Object? new [Re: Gert K A]
      #5864253 - 05/16/13 11:32 AM

"How did those constellations get their names"?

"Haven't you ever seen Clash of the Titans"?! HAHA

Thats a horse with wings, the W is some chick.. That upside-down-5-year-old-drawn house is her man and wishbone shape was their daughter. She has a galaxy in her but shes ok. Those two pot and pans are what they cook Medusa's head with.. SEE, that warrior guy is holding it in his hands, bringing it over for supper.

Ahhhh, story telling.

csrlice12
Postmaster

Reged: 05/22/12

Loc: Denver, CO
Re: Most Poorly Named Night Sky Object? new [Re: Smittty692k4]
      #5864283 - 05/16/13 11:44 AM

Whoever nicknamed the Pentax XW "The Walrus"....

rookie
Good Night Nurse

Reged: 01/14/06

Loc: St. Petersburg, FL
Re: Most Poorly Named Night Sky Object? new [Re: Jon Isaacs]
      #5865818 - 05/16/13 08:41 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I've heard NGC 457 referred to as the "E.T." cluster. I never could see that. It looks more like a lobster to me.

I see the E.T. clearly, the two bright eyes, the arms outstretched to the sides, the legs straight and slightly spread.
Jon

NGC 457 looks like ET to me with bright eyes, long spindly arms and squatty legs. The problem with that name is that the movie was released 31 years ago (1982). You have to be a pretty old kid to remember the movie. I often show this cluster to children during public viewing sessions at the local science center with my astronomy club. I gave up telling them it looks like ET and now tell them it's a Spaceman. I point out the feature stars and they connect the dots. They love it.

+2 for Deer Lick

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)

Extra information
8 registered and 12 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  cildarith, panhard, tecmage 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3385

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics