Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green GuÖ uh, User

General Astronomy >> General Observing and Astronomy

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | (show all)
audioaficionado
professor emeritus

Reged: 05/24/12

Loc: Medford, Orygun, USA
Re: Another poll -- what do you do for a living? new [Re: GOLGO13]
      #5894631 - 05/31/13 04:21 PM

I've survived on $10k-$25k jobs all my life. Retirement isn't an option unless my very modest biweekly investments in Power-Ball and Mega-millions pay off LOL.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
amicus sidera
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/14/11

Loc: East of the Sun, West of the M...
Re: Another poll -- what do you do for a living? new [Re: Seldom]
      #5894663 - 05/31/13 04:41 PM

Quote:

Quote:

If I had to do it over again I'd be a interpretive forest ranger or something I actually enjoy.

Will you be able to afford to retire from a job you actually enjoy?

Much of the world lives on less than USD $2.00/day; not well at all, but they live. It's all a matter of what luxuries one is willing to give up. Indeed, it's about defining luxury in the first place... a tiny house, an old but serviceable car, food, clean running water and fairly meager disposable income combined with really, really dark skies would likely suffice for many of us Western astronomers in our later years.

Most of the world would consider such accommodations palatial.

contrailmaker
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 01/02/09

Re: Another poll -- what do you do for a living? new [Re: amicus sidera]
      #5894835 - 05/31/13 06:36 PM

Since graduating from college I have worked as a flight test engineer, engineering test pilot and now air line pilot for a legacy carrier.

Contrailmaker

roscoe
curmudgeon

Reged: 02/04/09

Loc: NW Mass, inches from VT
      #5894844 - 05/31/13 06:43 PM

Quote:

It's a good thing I enjoy being a country carpenter, because in a lower-income area like that where I live, earning enough to save for retirement isn't an option....
R

okieav8r
I'd rather be flying!

Reged: 03/01/09

Loc: Oklahoma!
Re: Another poll -- what do you do for a living? new [Re: roscoe]
      #5894903 - 05/31/13 07:22 PM

I'm a former charter and corporate pilot. Now I work for the Air Force as an analyst.

microstar
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 01/05/08

Loc: Canada
      #5894945 - 05/31/13 07:59 PM

Quote:

Quote:

If I had to do it over again I'd be a interpretive forest ranger or something I actually enjoy.

I count my blessings that I have one of those jobs. As I said in an earlier post, I'm a professor at a small university in a correspondingly small city (we live 10 miles out of town and I still have a Bortle 4 Green backyard).

I didn't set out to follow this career path, but I was interested in science from early childhood, and in the planets in particular, and built a 6" reflector when I was 15 - taking the long bus ride downtown once a week to grind the mirror. When high school ended it was either go to university or work in construction like my dad, and university was the easier path (I was pretty clear on that after working summers laying floors, framing and cribbing basements - but those skills sure came in handy when I built the observatory). When I finished university I didn't plan to go to grad school, but I got a job in a government research lab and liked it, but again knew I didn't want to work for the stifling Federal government for the rest of my life so I moved on to grad school. After my PhD I got to travel the country working in various labs on short-term funds, but eventually I wanted to settle in one place (and actually start making money). I did eventually get a job at a university as a microbiologist and despite the late start (I didn't start making more than a graduate-student-level wage until I was in my mid-thirties) I now have mostly caught up to my peers that started building equity in their early 20s. I work in a job that epitomizes life-long learning. I get to follow my curiosity in my work and my hobby (and I often start my lectures by talking about an astrophoto I took). I'm surrounded by young enquiring minds that are excited about life and learning - and I'm positive that that keeps me feeling more engaged with life. My wife is also a professor. Life is good and I feel very lucky.
...Keith

la200o
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/09/08

Loc: SE Michigan, USA
Re: Another poll -- what do you do for a living? new [Re: MikeBOKC]
      #5895027 - 05/31/13 08:59 PM

College administrator with Ph. D. in a non-science field.

Bill

JMW
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 02/11/07

Loc: Nevada
Re: Another poll -- what do you do for a living? new [Re: la200o]
      #5895134 - 05/31/13 09:56 PM

Network operations for university network for last 24 years. Spend of lot of time focused on fiber optic infrastructure so it's sort of related to astronomy. I love designing and improving fiber optic plant. It will be around for a lot more years than any firewall, router or switch that I manage. I would love to have 10 gigabit networking at my house. Got my start here while working on my masters in computer science. I just never left.

Orion58
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 10/28/11

Loc: Southern Wisconsin
Re: Another poll -- what do you do for a living? new [Re: MikeBOKC]
      #5898464 - 06/02/13 08:40 PM

Retired (civil engineering technician for 34 years) about two years ago. I have been interested in astronomy for as long as I can remember and now I finally have sufficient time to devote to the hobby.

Paul Muller

Reged: 03/07/12

Loc: Alexandria, VA
Re: Another poll -- what do you do for a living? new [Re: Orion58]
      #5899579 - 06/03/13 12:42 PM

I'm an Active Duty Air Force Officer; my official job title is physicist. I've done a lot of work in sensor applications and nuclear treaty monitoring. My job doesn't deal with astronomy, but it's something I have been interested in since I was young and used my dad's old Tasco reflector. Thankfully, military service provides quite well and allows me to pursue my hobbies.

Dennis Kuefner

Reged: 05/30/13

Loc: South Central Minnesota, USA
Re: Another poll -- what do you do for a living? new [Re: roscoe]
      #5908651 - 06/07/13 07:43 PM

I am currently retired, but worked as an industrial chemist, and in the printing ink industry. Developed inks for high speed publications.

shawnhar
Post Laureate

Reged: 06/25/10

Loc: Knoxville, TN
Re: Another poll -- what do you do for a living? new [Re: Dennis Kuefner]
      #5908763 - 06/07/13 08:56 PM

Medical Appeals Reviewer for a Managed Care Orginization, the last 5 years, before that, if it didn't require a degree or lots of experience I've pretty much done it. Everything from being a boiler maker's apprentice, framing houses, roadie for big name bands, door to door sales, dishwasher, prep cook, furniture salesman, landscaping, tech support manager for smart phones, warehouse grunt, almost every fast food joint you can name, laying concrete, corporate trainer, day laborer, painter, the list goes on... Still don't know what I want to do for a living but I know stock options and a 401k match start to look real good at 41.
None of those had any influence on my astronomy interest, that only started 3 years ago when my wife gave me a Sky and Telescope as a stocking suffer, this was right around the time I decided I would never read another work of fiction after reading "The Body Farm" by Dr. Bill Bass.

jmandell
sage

Reged: 06/15/11

Re: Another poll -- what do you do for a living? new [Re: GOLGO13]
      #5908841 - 06/07/13 09:44 PM

Homework.

omahaastro
sage

Reged: 08/30/06

Loc: Omaha, NE
Re: Another poll -- what do you do for a living? new [Re: jmandell]
      #5910597 - 06/08/13 11:20 PM

Software engineer here... seems like there are quite a few IT people in the hobby.

Paul Lennous
sage

Reged: 02/05/04

Loc: Austin, TX
Re: Another poll -- what do you do for a living? new [Re: omahaastro]
      #5912099 - 06/09/13 09:39 PM

Electrical engineer for the past 15 years.

DaemonGPF
Redonkulous

Reged: 03/22/08

Loc: Aurora Colorado
Re: Another poll -- what do you do for a living? new [Re: Paul Lennous]
      #5912227 - 06/09/13 10:52 PM

Interesting read! Now I understand what is wrong with most of us on here.. I.T. professions! LOL

Currently I manage and oversee software development and engineering teams as well as teams of DBAs. I deal with outsource vendor management, contracts, SLAs, procurement, and other aspects as well.

Prior to that I spent many years managing network operations and data centers, facilities management, and CALEA for communications companies.

Earlier on I did advanced tech support for broadband communications mediums when they started to roll out (DOCSIS, Satellite, DSL), alpha testing, troubleshooting documentation.

Starting out I worked for the communications squadron for the Air Force as a private contractor, supervising switchboard operations after hours and weekends, provided WAN/LAN/DSN support.

On the side I design, construct, and program custom arcade machines - 10 yrs., and teach martial arts - 21 yrs.

None of which pulled me in to astronomy or astrophotography. That interest lit up independently when we lived in Athens Greece as Halley's Comet came through.

David Knisely
Postmaster

Reged: 04/19/04

Loc: southeastern Nebraska
Re: Another poll -- what do you do for a living? [Re: MikeBOKC]
      #5912428 - 06/10/13 03:59 AM

I work with the developmentally disabled at a facility near my home. It doesn't have much to do with Astronomy, but it has its own rewards.

auriga
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 03/02/06

#5915437 - 06/11/13 04:57 PM

I am a retired professor, researcher, business consultant and government executive. All have been very interesing and challenging. My main identification is as a social scientist, interested in psychological phenomena on the world scene. Iím currently enmeshed in writing a book on that subject. A second major interest has been the livability of cities. Iíve been interested in observational astronomy since the age of ten. I joined the Junior Astronomy Club at the Hayden Planetarium in Manhattan at age 12.
Bill

ZeusB

Reged: 01/25/13

Loc: Chicago
      #5921530 - 06/15/13 12:15 AM

I was a police officer for 37 years, retired as a patrol commander. I was sort of like the Arthur Dietrich of the department. Always was interested in astronomy. In high school I was the vice-president of the astronomy club - and there were only two of us.

Now I have a part time job working security for two professional sports venues, and it's a gas.

Tora

Reged: 10/09/09

Loc: Illinois
Re: Another poll -- what do you do for a living? [Re: ZeusB]
      #5922017 - 06/15/13 10:50 AM

Quote:

I was a police officer for 37 years, retired as a patrol commander. I was sort of like the Arthur Dietrich of the department. Always was interested in astronomy. In high school I was the vice-president of the astronomy club - and there were only two of us.

Now I have a part time job working security for two professional sports venues, and it's a gas.

Dietrich was my favorite character on that show!
Are you former CPD (or one of the 'burbs')?

Dan

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | (show all)

Extra information
2 registered and 16 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  cildarith, panhard, tecmage 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 8422

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics