Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green GuÖ uh, User

General Astronomy >> General Observing and Astronomy

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | (show all)
Binojunky
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/25/10

Re: Another poll -- what do you do for a living? new [Re: Tora]
      #5922107 - 06/15/13 11:34 AM

Well I started working life as a aprentice auto mechanic at the tender age of 15 yrs in the UK, then some years in the Army followed by cold war years in the RAF, fixing aircraft, chasing the opposite sex, smoking and getting drunk (ahhh happy days)then worked as a industrial mechanic before coming to Canada,since then I have earned my living in the same field, however Ontario isn,t what it was and my last job came abruptly to an end when some j##k arrived as the next plant manager and decided to restructure the place,being 63 yrs old and tired of commuting and long hours (15hr work days) I listened to my doctors advice and took the summer off, kinda liked it and never went back to work, to be honest manufacturing is drowning in its own ######## these days, what manufacturing that left anyway, their was a time you would have a word with the boss or foreman and it would be enough to get you a try out, now?? well you get the picture, DA.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
robininni
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 04/18/11

Loc: Stephenville, TX
Re: Another poll -- what do you do for a living? new [Re: Binojunky]
      #5923140 - 06/16/13 01:54 AM

Well let me be the first to admit I'm a dentist! I know some you "IT" guys are really dentists too and just don't want to come clean. There couldn't possibly be that many computer geeks on here, right?

Ouranos
professor emeritus

Reged: 11/07/06

Loc: Illinois
Re: Another poll -- what do you do for a living? new [Re: robininni]
      #5924715 - 06/17/13 12:34 AM

Pastor for 30 years. Grew up in an Air Force home seven miles from the bombing range for England Air Force Base (Claiborne). Always looking up. Fascinating Post.

ZeusB

Reged: 01/25/13

Loc: Chicago
      #5927835 - 06/18/13 04:02 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I was a police officer for 37 years, retired as a patrol commander. I was sort of like the Arthur Dietrich of the department. Always was interested in astronomy. In high school I was the vice-president of the astronomy club - and there were only two of us.

Now I have a part time job working security for two professional sports venues, and it's a gas.

Dietrich was my favorite character on that show!
Are you former CPD (or one of the 'burbs')?

Dan

I was with Tinley Park for 33 years.

ireneusz
journeyman

Reged: 03/10/11

Loc: usa, nj
Re: Another poll -- what do you do for a living? new [Re: audioaficionado]
      #5927912 - 06/18/13 04:48 PM

Mechanical Engineer.

Tora

Reged: 10/09/09

Loc: Illinois
Re: Another poll -- what do you do for a living? new [Re: ZeusB]
      #5929627 - 06/19/13 04:24 PM

Quote:

I was with Tinley Park for 33 years.

I just retired about a month ago as a Lt. with the state after 27+ years. I have been to/through Tinley a few times during my work. I really like the "transition" to retirement and have more time to be out under the stars. I live in Western Illinois on several acres under a green/yellow sky. I can see the milky way clearly on most nights and love living in the country. I get the best of both worlds as I'm within 15 minutes of a town and Super WalMart. What else can one ask?

Jim T

Reged: 12/15/10

Loc: MO
      #5930377 - 06/19/13 11:54 PM

Lubrication Sales Engineer for a major oil company for the past 16 yrs. My degree was in finance ('81), after pulling out of engineering in college. Loved the stars (and dinosaurs) in grade school, and learned most constellations and several dozens of star names while saving up $ for a 4.25" Edmund. Left that scope a few years later for girls and beer and cars. The bug came back in mid-life BIG TIME. Perhaps Hyakutake had something to do with that, but just as much the passing of my father.

Reading these posts reminds me of the variety of those "chosen" in the movie "Close Encounters of the Third Kind".

BillShort

Reged: 11/06/09

Loc: Corner Brook, Newfoundland,Can...
Re: Another poll -- what do you do for a living? new [Re: Jim T]
      #5930644 - 06/20/13 05:58 AM

I was a welder in a paper mill for 35 years,now retired,I was in the U.S. only five times,each time to attend Stellafane. Bill Short

lamplight
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/18/12

Loc: western MA, U.S.
Re: Another poll -- what do you do for a living? new [Re: BillShort]
      #5931130 - 06/20/13 11:31 AM

Astronomy is nice because its kind of spiritual which appeals to my artist/musician, and kind of sciencey which appeals to my logical part thats hungry to learn.

I got into computers and I.T. Accidentally while in college for fine art. I changed majors then dropped out. Long story. I think the immensity of the complexity is what grabbed my interest in IT and also astronomy. I worked as a network engineer for 15 or so years and started my own small company in 05'. Last year I bought a linux based web hosting company and am hoping to grow its modest income enough to eliminate the IT work entirely which will give me freedom to move anywhere I want. You can see where I'm going with this.. -orange zone dude.

I didn't REALLY look up till recently (42)

mconnelley
sage

Reged: 03/14/06

Loc: Hilo, HI
Re: Another poll -- what do you do for a living? new [Re: lamplight]
      #5932559 - 06/21/13 06:55 AM

Hello:

I do astronomy for a living. Yup, they actually pay me to do this! My research field is near-IR spectroscopic variability of embedded young stars. Most of my time is spent on observatory support duties, such as testing and developing instrumentation, improving the telescope image quality, and helping our observers. Since I work for one of the observatories on Mauna Kea, a side benefit is that our club observing site is one of the best sites in the world.

Cheers
Mike

Chaz659
sage

Reged: 12/08/12

Loc: Islip, NY
Re: Another poll -- what do you do for a living? new [Re: mconnelley]
      #5933098 - 06/21/13 02:17 PM

So far....bartender followed in short order by Electronics Technician aboard the nuclear submarine, SSBN 659, the Will Rogers. (Gold Crew). Next up,Case Manager, Substance Abuse Counselor, and now, hopefully the last career, I work in the emergency and oil spill response industry, primarily the big one's. The Gulf spill, Athos 1, DBL 152, Sandy Response, Katrina Response, Haiti Response, etc.

Tempe

Reged: 08/08/11

Loc: Moscow, Russia
Re: Another poll -- what do you do for a living? new [Re: Chaz659]
      #5933629 - 06/21/13 08:20 PM

Lawyer (university, civil law, 5 years,), from Russia, 36 years old, amateur astronomer from my teen years, now translator (English), finally, in aerospace industry. Made my dream. Anchors aweigh)

mark379
sage

Reged: 02/07/09

Loc: New Jersey
Re: Another poll -- what do you do for a living? new [Re: MikeBOKC]
      #5937673 - 06/24/13 09:41 AM

Hello,
I work as a Lab tech in the Geoscience Dept at New Jersey City University. I'm age 40.
I've always been torn between Earth and Space sciences, Geology is my field, but Astronomy has always been a hobby/ interest for me. I've thought about going for a advanced degree in Planetary Geology at times if I can find a way to afford it.

loudupe

Reged: 06/24/13

Loc: San Diego, CA
Re: Another poll -- what do you do for a living? new [Re: mark379]
      #5938942 - 06/24/13 11:47 PM

Commercial aircraft mechanic. Boeing & Airbus & such.

GreenGal

Reged: 05/10/13

Loc: Southern Maine
Re: Another poll -- what do you do for a living? new [Re: loudupe]
      #5943321 - 06/27/13 03:42 PM

First grade teacher with Master's Degree in Education. I inspire the future generations! When I teach my solar system unit the children eat it up like candy!

csrlice12
Postmaster

Reged: 05/22/12

Loc: Denver, CO
Re: Another poll -- what do you do for a living? new [Re: GreenGal]
      #5943339 - 06/27/13 03:55 PM

Throw money at the scope shop cash register........

NicolasKL

Reged: 01/15/13

Loc: Reno, NV
      #5943385 - 06/27/13 04:27 PM

Geologist in the gold and silver industry since i graduated from college 7 years ago.

Taylor
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 07/10/05

Loc: Owasso, OK
Re: Another poll -- what do you do for a living? new [Re: auriga]
      #5943581 - 06/27/13 06:24 PM

Quote:

I am a retired professor, researcher, business consultant and government executive. All have been very interesing and challenging. My main identification is as a social scientist, interested in psychological phenomena on the world scene. Iím currently enmeshed in writing a book on that subject. A second major interest has been the livability of cities. Iíve been interested in observational astronomy since the age of ten. I joined the Junior Astronomy Club at the Hayden Planetarium in Manhattan at age 12.
Bill

I would be very interested to hear your take on the "livability of cities."
I lived in DC for 3 years while training for my current career.
I didn't consider it livable by any means. Being crammed in a tiny 1 bedroom apartment with no money as it was all spent on cost of living, that wasn't living to me. Now I'm building a house on an acre just outside Tulsa, OK, far more livable in my opinion.

mtnmedic
Late for dinner

Reged: 11/09/04

Loc: Antelope, Oregon
Re: Another poll -- what do you do for a living? new [Re: MikeBOKC]
      #5944057 - 06/28/13 12:11 AM

Career Paramedic ambulanceman and volunteer firefighter. Fire Chief of a small volunteer city fire department. I've been involved with fire-rescue/public safety and emergency medical services since 1979.

Edited by mtnmedic (06/28/13 12:12 AM)

AstroDan77

Reged: 05/15/13

Loc: New Hampshire
Re: Another poll -- what do you do for a living? new [Re: mtnmedic]
      #5944112 - 06/28/13 01:03 AM

Nuclear Security AKA I'm bored all night, every night......

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | (show all)

Extra information
1 registered and 14 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  cildarith, panhard, tecmage 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 8595

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics