Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

General Astronomy >> General Observing and Astronomy

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | (show all)
azure1961p
Postmaster

Reged: 01/17/09

Loc: USA
Re: Another poll -- what do you do for a living? new [Re: roscoe]
      #5867750 - 05/17/13 05:30 PM

Tattoo artist by night, maintenance tech by day. Used to do commercial illustrating, kids books, medical illustration, architectural and oil painting. I'm taking a new approach to oils this summer.

Pete

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
obin robinson
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/25/12

Loc: League City, TX
Re: Another poll -- what do you do for a living? new [Re: MikeBOKC]
      #5867848 - 05/17/13 06:00 PM

Aviation Structural Mechanic - United States Navy (active duty). I have several thousand hours of time on F/A-18 A-D "legacy" Hornets. I also worked on the MH-53E Sea Dragon mine countermeasures helicopter as well. In between airframes I did a tour in Iraq doing non-aviation jobs with the US Army. Right now I am in Texas on a shore duty tour hence all the time for telescopes.

obin

GeneT
Ely Kid

Reged: 11/07/08

Loc: South Texas
Re: Another poll -- what do you do for a living? new [Re: MikeBOKC]
      #5867890 - 05/17/13 06:29 PM

Retired Air Force Colonel (28 years service); worked five years as a bank marketing officer; served the past 15 years as an ordained Catholic deacon (no pay--but the benefits are great! ) My job did not connect me to astronomy; astronomy connected me to my job because as a hobby, it framed most of my dreams (day dreams )

mich_al
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/10/09

Loc: Rural central lower Michigan ...
Re: Another poll -- what do you do for a living? new [Re: GeneT]
      #5867926 - 05/17/13 06:51 PM

Software engineer for a company that built airborn spectrometers. Started out as a hardware guy for one of the first companies to ever put a microprossesor (4004) into a workstation. I tend to keep computers, except for a hand controller, out of the mix when I observe.

Jon Isaacs
Postmaster

Reged: 06/16/04

Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA
Re: Another poll -- what do you do for a living? new [Re: mich_al]
      #5867969 - 05/17/13 07:24 PM

Interesting question, some interesting answers.

Over the years, I have worked at a number of occupations, lab tech on the Glomar Challenger (Deep Sea Drilling Project), commercial fisherman, truck driver, truck mechanic. to name a few.

But for the past 26 years, I have been a research engineer/scientist working in the field of materials science at a major research university in San Diego. The professor who heads the group is quite famous as theoretical/analytical/numerical guy who believes such work must be supported by experiment. I am the hands on side and over see the laboratories, the grad students research and my own research, over the years I have designed a lot of equipment, some that has been duplicated in various university and military laboratories.

We are involved in wide variety of research, investigating things like meteorite damage resistance of the space station hull, electro-active polymers, negative index materials over a broad range of wavelengths, from microwave to acoustic, acoustic wave management, dynamic fracture reduction in blast loadings, basic research in ceramic armor, dynamic fracture measurement of ceramics. I am coauthor on a number of papers in the field as they were based on the techniques I have developed...

It's a wonderful job, I am basically on my own, free with my time, free to develop new techniques and methodologies. I work with brilliant young minds, challenge them, nurture them, watch them as the grow to be the amazing people that they are..

Jon Isaacs

Mxplx2
sage

Reged: 09/12/12

Loc: NE PA USA
Re: Another poll -- what do you do for a living? new [Re: Jon Isaacs]
      #5867998 - 05/17/13 07:39 PM

Electronics technician now retired. Troubleshot and repaired production and test equipment in a manufacturing environment. Air Force aptitude testing steered me in that direction.

Smittty692k4
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/05/11

Loc: East Bernard, TX
Re: Another poll -- what do you do for a living? new [Re: Mxplx2]
      #5868047 - 05/17/13 07:56 PM

Very wide range here, I'll add mine to the mix.

For the last 7 years I have been in the oil field. I do Production Testing Services. Started out with WoodGroup (bought out by GE) and moved to a mom-n-pop company which is now owned by MI-Swaco and Schlumberger.

Basic job includes flowing back wells after the toe-prep, frac and perforations and drillout. Maximizing well potention before sending the oil, gas, and water to permenant facilities. I started when I was 20, and hopefully within the next few years I can get out of the field as much into a position where I have more time at home. I dont love my job some days, but other days there is nothing wrong with watching movies, playing xbox, and at night, doin a little star-gazing and getting paid for all of it. On the flip side, we rigged up 2 wells in 112 degree heat yesterday afternoon for 6 hours. Give and take.

The only connection my job has with astronomy is it has given me the funds to support my family and this addicting habit. My astro journey began around age 5 or 6 with a book on the solar system I got, the first book I ever remember looking at/reading.

Thanks guys.

AZBleyle

Reged: 09/23/11

Loc: Avondale, Arizona
Re: Another poll -- what do you do for a living? new [Re: Smittty692k4]
      #5868123 - 05/17/13 08:57 PM

20 years various IT jobs from hardware to, NOC (Network Operations Center) tech, to systems analyst. Let's just say, I also limit my electronics to a minimum when viewing.

woolbrig
sage

Reged: 02/01/13

Loc: Bethalto, Illinois
Re: Another poll -- what do you do for a living? new [Re: AZBleyle]
      #5868163 - 05/17/13 09:21 PM

I've been a software engineer for the last 25 years. Wow! I can't believe it's been that long! Been a Sci Fi geek since I was a kid, so astronomy (without a scope until recently) has always been an interest.

Edited by woolbrig (05/17/13 09:54 PM)

Mentor
professor emeritus

Reged: 09/30/10

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Re: Another poll -- what do you do for a living? new [Re: woolbrig]
      #5868192 - 05/17/13 09:37 PM

I'm a medicinal chemist by training, with 15 years of tenure in drug design and discovery. Lots of time spent in the lab playing with any sort of chemicals here. On the positive side, I had free access to any reagent grade solvents that I needed to experiment with for cleaning my optics.

Recently I have moved into formulations and drug development, where we take other people's drugs and manufacture them into finished dosage forms (tablets, nasal sprays, etc) for clinical research. I am less hands on in my new role, where I hold a project management position.

mountain monk
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/06/09

Loc: Grand Teton National Park
Re: Another poll -- what do you do for a living? new [Re: woolbrig]
      #5868196 - 05/17/13 09:39 PM

Taught philosophy at the University of Illinois and still teach a seminar every two years at the University of Utah. As a lifelong mountaineer and guide I helped establish trekking and mountaineering operations and companies in Pakistan, India, Peru, and China for Mountain Travel and Geographic Expeditions; I was president of Exum Mountain Guides in Grand Teton National Park; I'm finishing my fourth book and still writing...

Although my father taught me the basic constellations and love of the sky, I first got interested in astronomy/astrophysics when I sat in on a course from George Gamov in 1966 at the University of Colorado. He inspired everyone he touched.

Good life, no complaints.

Dark skies.

Jack

Edited by mountain monk (05/17/13 09:44 PM)

rockethead26
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/21/09

Loc: Arizona, USA
Re: Another poll -- what do you do for a living? new [Re: mountain monk]
      #5868245 - 05/17/13 09:59 PM

I have a rather eclectic work history:

Marine Biologist, Texas, 3 years
Peace Corps Volunteer, Colombia, 2 years
SCUBA Stores Owner, Florida, 13 years
Project Manager for a software company, Chicago, 5 years
Nature/Travel Photographer, Arizona & Indiana, 13 years & counting

Taylor
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 07/10/05

Loc: Owasso, OK
Re: Another poll -- what do you do for a living? new [Re: rockethead26]
      #5868291 - 05/17/13 10:17 PM

Just graduated from CRNA school, been in my new job for 2 months.

Got into astronomy when I was around 10 or so. Always had a small scope up until I graduated from undergraduate. After undergrad I bought a Nexstar 8 GPS for myself. Had to sell it shortly after I got accepted into grad school.

I actually thought about getting an undergrad degree in astrophysics, but was talked out of it and to consider something with regular business hours with a more steady salary compared to academics. I'm glad things worked out the way they did, I absolutely love my day job and will be building my own observatory later this year.

Cotts
Just Wondering

Reged: 10/10/05

Loc: Toronto, Ontario
Re: Another poll -- what do you do for a living? new [Re: Taylor]
      #5868338 - 05/17/13 10:41 PM

1976-2006, high school teacher. I taught in three subject areas, mostly. Geography and Environmental Science, Mathematics and Instrumental Music. (My University degree was in Physical Geography - where I gleaned the Math as a by-product of scientific work. I minored in Percussion Performance which led me to the Music aspect of my career.)

In my 7th year of retirement now - I still do a fair amount of substitute teaching to pay for my Star Party explorations.

Dave

microstar
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 01/05/08

Loc: Canada
Re: Another poll -- what do you do for a living? [Re: AZBleyle]
      #5868378 - 05/17/13 10:59 PM

Interesting thread. I'm a professor at a small university in Canada. What's kind of funny is that I'm a microbiologist. So by day I teach and do research on organisms that are microscopic and by night observe and image vast astronomical objects that are up to millions of light years away.
...Keith

Astrodj
professor emeritus

Reged: 08/24/11

Loc: Missouri
Re: Another poll -- what do you do for a living? [Re: microstar]
      #5868542 - 05/18/13 12:22 AM

I'm an Air Traffic Controller (Tower). I began my career in 1976 and will retire January of 2015. I have been blessed to witness a lot of sunrises and sunsets, more than most I would wager.

I began my astronomy adventure 7 years prior to my career field though when I became absorbed with what I saw between sunset and sunrise.

No regrets here either.

Seldom
professor emeritus

Reged: 08/05/12

Loc: N of Cedar City Light Dome
Re: Another poll -- what do you do for a living? [Re: roscoe]
      #5868555 - 05/18/13 12:29 AM

Used to be Architect in Pennsylvania (now retired). Wrote AutoLisp routines in my spare time. Ground and figured a mirror for Halley. Still use that scope and a big dob I bought. Bought the dob after I realized how good the skies are in my new back yard.

MessiToM
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 12/21/09

Loc: Huntingdon PA
Re: Another poll -- what do you do for a living? [Re: Seldom]
      #5868575 - 05/18/13 12:45 AM

Gentleman.

I am a male nurse....a MURSE

rlmxracer
sage

Reged: 11/09/11

Loc: Motocross Mecca , CA
Re: Another poll -- what do you do for a living? [Re: MessiToM]
      #5868615 - 05/18/13 01:24 AM

I've worked in a emergency room for most of the last 19yrs. First licensed as an EMT and the last 6 a paramedic. I was only good at one subject in school and that was science so I went with it.

ben2112
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 07/12/12

Loc: North Charleston SC
Re: Another poll -- what do you do for a living? [Re: rlmxracer]
      #5868631 - 05/18/13 01:45 AM

I have been in the IT Field for the past 20 years. Started off doing desktop support. I am currently a Virtualization Engineer working with the DoD/VA. Like others, I keep electronics to a minimum. I only use a laptop when I am doing astrophotography.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | (show all)

Extra information
2 registered and 13 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  cildarith, panhard, tecmage 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 8421

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics