Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

General Astronomy >> General Observing and Astronomy

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | (show all)
northernontario
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/01/09

Loc: Porcupine, Ontario Canada
Re: Another poll -- what do you do for a living? new [Re: ben2112]
      #5868720 - 05/18/13 03:26 AM

I started my working career as an automotive mechanic. Graduated to heavy equipment, then realized I hated grease and cut up hands.

Spent 6 years as an underground development miner. Muck out rock bolt drill and blast...old fashioned way. Stopers,jack legs etc. The mine ran out of rocks and it occurred to me that life as a packsack miner was not for me or my family.

I went back to school at 31 and am now a licenced industrial electrician. Mccs,motor control,switch gear, instrumentation,PLC programming and HMI programming.

Going on 20 years in the trade. No intention of changing....I don't think anyways, but you never know what's around life's corners.

jake

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
chaoscosmos
sage

Reged: 01/26/13

Loc: Mission Viejo CA
Re: Another poll -- what do you do for a living? new [Re: ben2112]
      #5868725 - 05/18/13 03:30 AM

At various times- truck driver, grocery clerk, house painter, commercial photographer, mailman.... all the while involved in artistic pursuit- mostly photography, and painting.. Also did a short bit of writing and teaching.

I had a 60mm Sears refractor as a kid, and yes, it was Saturn and the moon that hooked me. My interest in visual art and seeing connects to astronomy. I've always enjoyed science and nature and delving into the mysteries of the universe. Loved reading popular science books by Isaac Asimov.

Tony Flanders
Postmaster

Reged: 05/18/06

Loc: Cambridge, MA, USA
Re: Another poll -- what do you do for a living? new [Re: MikeBOKC]
      #5868826 - 05/18/13 06:06 AM

I've been an editor at Sky & Telescope magazine for the last decade. Before that, I was a computer programmer for 35 years -- since before software engineers were invented.

I'm one of the few 3rd-generation computer programmers I know. My grandfather was a director of computing back when computers were human (women, to be specific), and transitioned naturally to the age when computers became electronic.

gonzosc1
sage

Reged: 11/08/12

Loc: South Carolina
Re: Another poll -- what do you do for a living? new [Re: Tony Flanders]
      #5868855 - 05/18/13 06:51 AM

I have done many jobs over the last 35 years. but I grew up on semi trucks, I've been around them and grew up on them since the age of 5. learned how to drive the 18 wheelers at 14 and drove with my father at 16. since then its been off and on with trucks.
I have kept driving as a fall back job over the past 15 years or so. and it works out great to be able to just up and leave a job when I'm not happy with it and just go back and jump in the truck at will.
I use to take a small scope with me when I would go out west. awesome!!

jpcannavo
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 02/21/05

Loc: Ex NYCer, Now in Denver CO!
Re: Another poll -- what do you do for a living? new [Re: Tony Flanders]
      #5868859 - 05/18/13 06:53 AM

I'm an addiction psychiatrist/addictionologist. In my now former job, which I left 8 days ago to fulfill a lifelong dream of moving out west (!), I was Chief of Addiction Services for Flushing Hospital Medical Center, and a Professor of Psychiatry at Hofstra NSUH/LIJ School of Medicine; all located in the lovely Bortle 8, pickering 3ish New York Metro area. I am now enjoying a 3 month between job break, but in mid August I will be taking a position as Chief of Chemical Dependency at Kaiser Permanente in Colorado.

My interest in Astronomy pretty much predates everything and goes back to age 7 and my 50mm Tasco refractor. Over the years amateur astronomy and telescope making has dovetailed with my interests in physics, optics, mathematics, carpentry, light fabrication and the great outdoors.

I am very grateful to have a career where the dynamics of demand has allowed me to relocate based on my own geographic preferences. My hope is that living in Colorado will facilitate a greater involvement in this wonderfully multidimensional hobby, while providing a higher quality of life for me and my family.

Joe

dan777
professor emeritus

Reged: 11/16/07

Loc: Indiana
Re: Another poll -- what do you do for a living? new [Re: jpcannavo]
      #5868928 - 05/18/13 08:13 AM

Retired from GM racing group where I did race engine design/ development and electronic fuel injection development for Indy car, NASCAR, NHRA, Trans-Am, ASA and off-road racing.

City Kid
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/06/09

Loc: Northern Indiana
Re: Another poll -- what do you do for a living? new [Re: jpcannavo]
      #5868935 - 05/18/13 08:20 AM

For the past 20 years I have been a machinist for a company that manufactures fire fighting equipment. Prior to that I spent 8 years working for a drug manufacturing company. I mixed the batches of chemicals that were then compressed into tablets. We made Anacin, Dristan, Primatene, Advil, and many others. The only reason I didn't stay at that job was they moved out of the country.

Stargaz18
sage

Reged: 01/04/11

Loc: Wichita Falls, TX
Re: Another poll -- what do you do for a living? new [Re: City Kid]
      #5868985 - 05/18/13 08:54 AM

In my early yrs dabbled in computer programming. Remember punch cards, RPG I&II, Colbalt, Fortran, etc Tony? But for the past 30 yrs an auto mechanic. Todays my birthday and I turn 58. How I'd love to get into another profession, but at my age????

zippeee
sage

Reged: 12/27/10

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Re: Another poll -- what do you do for a living? new [Re: Stargaz18]
      #5869007 - 05/18/13 09:11 AM

Materials engineer and retired chef.

bherv
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/10/06

Loc: WMass
Re: Another poll -- what do you do for a living? new [Re: zippeee]
      #5869047 - 05/18/13 09:45 AM

I am a route salesperson for a large uniform rental company. I have been doing this for 24 years. I have been with my current employer for 7 years. Monday thru Friday hours allows me to get away for observing on new moon weekends.
Barry

BarabinoSr
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 11/17/05

Loc: Slidell La
Re: Another poll -- what do you do for a living? new [Re: zippeee]
      #5869051 - 05/18/13 09:48 AM

Interstate Weigh Station Officer (Interstate 12 Truck scales- Hammond LA.)

DavidNealMinnick
sage

Reged: 03/06/06

#5869144 - 05/18/13 11:11 AM

Retired heavy equipment operator (cat, scraper, motor grader, etc.) after a hitch in the Army ('75-'78).

Had a boyhood interest in astronomy which evaporated as a teenager when I started riding motorcycles and chasing girls. Fell in love with it again at age 41 when I picked up my first copy of S&T (Dec. '97) in a bookstore and bought my first scope.

Taylor
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 07/10/05

Loc: Owasso, OK
Re: Another poll -- what do you do for a living? new [Re: City Kid]
      #5869246 - 05/18/13 12:29 PM

Quote:

For the past 20 years I have been a machinist for a company that manufactures fire fighting equipment. Prior to that I spent 8 years working for a drug manufacturing company. I mixed the batches of chemicals that were then compressed into tablets. We made Anacin, Dristan, Primatene, Advil, and many others. The only reason I didn't stay at that job was they moved out of the country.

Interesting! I have always wanted to tour a pharmaceutical manufacturing plant. Since my career is based on them, I thought it would be neat to see how they're made.

rdandrea
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 06/13/10

Loc: Colorado, USA DM59ra
      #5869294 - 05/18/13 01:08 PM

Retired geologist (two stints) with one stretch in between of being a computer weenie when mineral exploration got slow.

WesC
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 02/06/13

Loc: La Crescenta, CA
Re: Another poll -- what do you do for a living? [Re: rdandrea]
      #5869920 - 05/18/13 06:35 PM

What a really interesting and diverse group of folks!

Well I've been a number of things in my time, some at the same time.
Studio/Jazz musician 35 years +, I still play occasionally.
Graphic designer/creative director at various ad firms in Boston MA, 15 years.
Visual effects artist for the last 12 years, currently at DreamWorks Animation.

I think my current job is the one most closely related with astronomy as I always have been a HUGE real space and sci-fi nut. Lots of visual effects in sci-fi movies!

davidpitre
Post Laureate

Reged: 05/10/05

Loc: Central Texas
Re: Another poll -- what do you do for a living? [Re: WesC]
      #5870000 - 05/18/13 07:33 PM

Organic vegetable farmer for 30 years.

astro_baby
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 06/17/08

Loc: United Kingdom
Re: Another poll -- what do you do for a living? [Re: davidpitre]
      #5870107 - 05/18/13 08:22 PM

Started life as a secretary, became a COBOL programmer, moved into networking in the late 70s and became an SNA expert/consultant, moved into sales selling high end networking hardware and systems, then on to operations director for an electronics company, marketing guru for a fibre optics company, web designer, search engine consultant and finally back to being a secretary.......i had to take time out to be a primary carer for my dad and when I re entered the jobs market no one wanted a woman in her 50s in any tech role that I am qualified to do so I went back to being a secretary. Its quiet and not too demanding but I get frustrated at times as I have no real intellectual outlet.......its partly why I do astro. I need an outlet.

Noisykids
sage

Reged: 06/01/11

Loc: ma
Re: Another poll -- what do you do for a living? [Re: astro_baby]
      #5870138 - 05/18/13 08:32 PM

i'm a pastry chef for the world's largest organic and natural foods retailer. started out as a busboy in boston's first hanging fern bauhaus chair restaurant in 1975 and found i really like to cook and bake. got an associate's degree at the age of 50 in baking and pastry arts and managed to get out of the kitchen and into the bakeshop full time. been with the company for 21,463 service hours, which doesn't include overtime, over the past 11.5 years. i was the last person in north america to apprentice as a saucier with a french chef in a working situation, making traditional flour bound classic mother sauces and derivatives.

star drop
Snowed In

Reged: 02/02/08

Loc: Snow Plop, WNY
Re: Another poll -- what do you do for a living? [Re: jpcannavo]
      #5870315 - 05/18/13 09:41 PM

Quote:

I'm an addiction psychiatrist/addictionologist. In my now former job, which I left 8 days ago to fulfill a lifelong dream of moving out west (!), I was Chief of Addiction Services for Flushing Hospital Medical Center, and a Professor of Psychiatry at Hofstra NSUH/LIJ School of Medicine; all located in the lovely Bortle 8, pickering 3ish New York Metro area. I am now enjoying a 3 month between job break, but in mid August I will be taking a position as Chief of Chemical Dependency at Kaiser Permanente in Colorado.

My interest in Astronomy pretty much predates everything and goes back to age 7 and my 50mm Tasco refractor. Over the years amateur astronomy and telescope making has dovetailed with my interests in physics, optics, mathematics, carpentry, light fabrication and the great outdoors.

I am very grateful to have a career where the dynamics of demand has allowed me to relocate based on my own geographic preferences. My hope is that living in Colorado will facilitate a greater involvement in this wonderfully multidimensional hobby, while providing a higher quality of life for me and my family.

Joe

Doc, can you help me? Some people say I have a posting addiction.

wirenut
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 09/21/06

Loc: m'dale Pa
Re: Another poll -- what do you do for a living? [Re: star drop]
      #5870372 - 05/18/13 10:09 PM

I think my username gives it away, I'm a electrician. Been doing it for 25 yrs,I've wired everything from hi-rises to outhouses and any electrical system in them.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | (show all)

Extra information
4 registered and 7 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  cildarith, panhard, tecmage 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 8437

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics