Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

General Astronomy >> General Observing and Astronomy

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | (show all)
MikeBOKC
Post Laureate

Reged: 05/10/10

Loc: Oklahoma City, OK
Another poll -- what do you do for a living?
      #5867278 - 05/17/13 02:12 PM

The age poll currently running here is enlightening and has resulted in an average age for amateur astronomers around 50, which is not surprising. However I find a lot more diversity in the occupational realm in my local club. There just does not seem to be a way to pigeonhole folks by job/profession who are drawn to this hobby. Yes, we have a couple of engineers and professors in the sciences, but I also know an HR person, a police officer, a funeral director, a classical radio station manager and many other occupations. So I thought it might be interesting to informally poll CN folks as to what they do or have done for a living to see how wide the cross section is.

In my case I have been a newspaper reporter (specializing in crime), speechwriter for a governor and a member of Congress and freelance writer. Also an adjunct English/Speech professor.

What's your occupational background, and did it (or not) connect you to the hobby>

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Sorny
professor emeritus

Reged: 03/15/12

Loc: Southern MN
Re: Another poll -- what do you do for a living? new [Re: MikeBOKC]
      #5867304 - 05/17/13 03:01 PM

I'm a Sr. Field Service Engineer for a rather large player in the Semiconductor Capital Equipment industry.

I've taken wrenches to multi-million dollar Zeiss optics and adjusted them. To be fair, the optical components of the tools seldom are the problem, but then again, the optics are the least complicated part of the tool...

The job had no bearing on my interest in Astronomy, as I was interested as a kid; it wasn't until after I got the house & vette that I could justify yet another expensive hobby.

Daniel Guzas
professor emeritus

Reged: 11/20/10

Loc: Bethlehem NH/ Boston MA
      #5867313 - 05/17/13 03:04 PM

Architect.

Don't think my profession in any way influenced my astronomy love. Well maybe being a visual guy helped. Also the love of how things are put together doesn't hurt either... You know like when tinkering with all the fun Astro gear... Maybe it does influence it in some ways....

Edited by Daniel Guzas (05/17/13 03:08 PM)

csrlice12
Postmaster

Reged: 05/22/12

Loc: Denver, CO
Re: Another poll -- what do you do for a living? new [Re: Daniel Guzas]
      #5867331 - 05/17/13 03:14 PM

Retired Military (1995), now an auditor. Was stationed at the North Pole for a year, not much else to do during the winter except to look at the stars....it was beautiful in its own way, but I was glad to get back to civilization....

dpippel
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 04/05/13

Loc: Desierto de Sonora
Re: Another poll -- what do you do for a living? new [Re: csrlice12]
      #5867335 - 05/17/13 03:17 PM

Systems Support Analyst (IT) at a large public university.

Greyhaven
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 05/11/04

Loc: Greater downtown Maine
      #5867341 - 05/17/13 03:19 PM

Well I've only had two professions in my now retired life. I for 30 years I worked in the automotive parts and paint and body shop supply industry as a outside salesman, store manager and sales manager.Then I had 3 heart attacks and a triple bypass and thought I needed to switch to a job that would rub against a whole different set of nerves, so my last position was making tampons,yep, they really make them in factory not in a hollow tree. I am retired now, but still have friends there so if anyone needs employment I may be able to pull a few strings and get them in.
Be Well
Grey

Edited by Greyhaven (05/17/13 03:47 PM)

FJA
Sketcher Extraordinaire

Reged: 11/17/04

Loc: 50.65° N, 1.15° W
Re: Another poll -- what do you do for a living? new [Re: Greyhaven]
      #5867346 - 05/17/13 03:21 PM

Currently unemployed.

Over the years I have worked in customer services, in office admin and assembling things in factories.

csrlice12
Postmaster

#5867348 - 05/17/13 03:22 PM

Tampons....pull a few strings.....you really didn't mean that, right???

Greyhaven
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 05/11/04

Loc: Greater downtown Maine
      #5867364 - 05/17/13 03:28 PM

Yes, for 13 years I did everything from handling the raw fiber to sewing on the strings, just think of them as little refractors, astronomy is a natural progression with members of that particular trade.
Be Well
Grey

Classic8
professor emeritus

Reged: 04/12/06

Loc: Naperville, IL, USA
      #5867406 - 05/17/13 03:41 PM

Insurance Underwriter.

Only for about 7 years, and no connection to my hobbies.

Terry Dactile

Reged: 01/04/13

Loc: Bessemer, AL USA
      #5867434 - 05/17/13 03:48 PM

I was a welder for years, specializing in pressure vessel and hydraulics welding, moved on to programming welding robots, then on to Quality management ISO and QS systems, and am currently managing a warehouse for a major supplier of telescoping multi-stage hydraulic cylinders (you find them on large dump trucks).

Edited by Terry Dactile (05/17/13 03:49 PM)

jgraham
Postmaster

Reged: 12/02/04

Loc: Miami Valley Astronomical Soci...
Re: Another poll -- what do you do for a living? new [Re: Terry Dactile]
      #5867485 - 05/17/13 03:59 PM

Contract research for 35 years. I have been blessed to have the honor of working on scores of interesting problems.

newtoskies
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/15/12

Loc: SE Ma.
Re: Another poll -- what do you do for a living? new [Re: jgraham]
      #5867571 - 05/17/13 04:18 PM

Well nothing glamorous on my end. Spent 8 years in the USMC/USArmy, worked in manufact. and construction/renovations until a few years ago. Unemployed atm due to health issues.

Always interesting to hear what people do for a living. Your profession really doesn't matter when you have the same hobby or interests as others and have that common ground in which to build friendships...as I have done hear on CN, and my own forum.

csrlice12
Postmaster

Re: Another poll -- what do you do for a living? new [Re: newtoskies]
      #5867589 - 05/17/13 04:23 PM

No matter wherein the universe we are or what we do, and probably even what planet we live on, we all look up at the sky in awe...

Mike B
Starstruck

Reged: 04/06/05

Loc: shake, rattle, & roll, CA
      #5867636 - 05/17/13 04:35 PM

Architectural background, now a freelance CAD drafting technician for Arch/Eng'rs. As part of my partially-self-under-employed reinvention due to the '08 crunch, i'm now also a Math tutor for local kids.

So i guess it's been Math for me, nite & day.

Got hooked on visual astronomy as a ~12 year-old, and have been at it (hot & cold) ever since... started with an Edmund Sci 4-1/4" F10 Newt, have moved up thru several scopes, to end up with the current 15" F4.55 Dob.
mike b

Gary Riley
sage

Reged: 12/01/11

Loc: White Bluff, TN
      #5867637 - 05/17/13 04:35 PM

Senior pastor of a church. Been pastoring for 25 years. Before that worked in the metal fabrication industry for approx. 13 years.

Gary

jerwin
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 05/17/12

Loc: Romeoville IL
Re: Another poll -- what do you do for a living? new [Re: Gary Riley]
      #5867659 - 05/17/13 04:45 PM

I've been an IT Network Administrator for 10+ years, switches, routers, firewalls, wireless, that type of stuff. Age 33.

No real connection I can draw. I'm a very logical thinker, and think about thinks from a lot of different angles. Good memory, so that helps with navigation of the sky.

I think I'm in this hobby for one reason and one reason only, I saw Saturn through a 70mm refractor.

Jim

Pinbout
Postmaster

Reged: 02/22/10

Loc: nj
      #5867669 - 05/17/13 04:51 PM Attachment (26 downloads)

Quote:

What's your occupational background, and did it (or not) connect you to the hobby>

I'm still trying to figure out what I do...job/hobby

John Kuraoka
sage

Reged: 12/12/12

Loc: Sunny San Diego, CA
Re: Another poll -- what do you do for a living? new [Re: jerwin]
      #5867677 - 05/17/13 04:53 PM

Freelance advertising copywriter. Started out in ad agencies; been freelancing for 20+ years now. It's great!

I've always been interested in the stars. If there's a connection with my business it's not on a conscious level. Although it's really, really nice after struggling with something or other, to go out under the night sky and just relax.

roscoe
curmudgeon

Reged: 02/04/09

Loc: NW Mass, inches from VT
Re: Another poll -- what do you do for a living? new [Re: Gary Riley]
      #5867691 - 05/17/13 05:01 PM

I'm a carpenter - I've built and restored houses, barns, boats, musical instruments, and most everything else. I lately mostly build furniture pieces, but it looks like a timber-frame barn is in the works for the summer. Today I played hooky because it was such a nice day, and pulled sawlogs that I cut last winter out of my woods and to my sawmill with my 65-year-old half-restored farm tractor, which I also use to make (and sell) 400 bales of hay every year from our farm.
Russ

azure1961p
Postmaster

Reged: 01/17/09

Loc: USA
Re: Another poll -- what do you do for a living? new [Re: roscoe]
      #5867750 - 05/17/13 05:30 PM

Tattoo artist by night, maintenance tech by day. Used to do commercial illustrating, kids books, medical illustration, architectural and oil painting. I'm taking a new approach to oils this summer.

Pete

obin robinson
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/25/12

Loc: League City, TX
      #5867848 - 05/17/13 06:00 PM

Aviation Structural Mechanic - United States Navy (active duty). I have several thousand hours of time on F/A-18 A-D "legacy" Hornets. I also worked on the MH-53E Sea Dragon mine countermeasures helicopter as well. In between airframes I did a tour in Iraq doing non-aviation jobs with the US Army. Right now I am in Texas on a shore duty tour hence all the time for telescopes.

obin

GeneT
Ely Kid

Reged: 11/07/08

Loc: South Texas
      #5867890 - 05/17/13 06:29 PM

Retired Air Force Colonel (28 years service); worked five years as a bank marketing officer; served the past 15 years as an ordained Catholic deacon (no pay--but the benefits are great! ) My job did not connect me to astronomy; astronomy connected me to my job because as a hobby, it framed most of my dreams (day dreams )

mich_al
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/10/09

Loc: Rural central lower Michigan ...
Re: Another poll -- what do you do for a living? new [Re: GeneT]
      #5867926 - 05/17/13 06:51 PM

Software engineer for a company that built airborn spectrometers. Started out as a hardware guy for one of the first companies to ever put a microprossesor (4004) into a workstation. I tend to keep computers, except for a hand controller, out of the mix when I observe.

Jon Isaacs
Postmaster

Reged: 06/16/04

Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA
Re: Another poll -- what do you do for a living? new [Re: mich_al]
      #5867969 - 05/17/13 07:24 PM

Interesting question, some interesting answers.

Over the years, I have worked at a number of occupations, lab tech on the Glomar Challenger (Deep Sea Drilling Project), commercial fisherman, truck driver, truck mechanic. to name a few.

But for the past 26 years, I have been a research engineer/scientist working in the field of materials science at a major research university in San Diego. The professor who heads the group is quite famous as theoretical/analytical/numerical guy who believes such work must be supported by experiment. I am the hands on side and over see the laboratories, the grad students research and my own research, over the years I have designed a lot of equipment, some that has been duplicated in various university and military laboratories.

We are involved in wide variety of research, investigating things like meteorite damage resistance of the space station hull, electro-active polymers, negative index materials over a broad range of wavelengths, from microwave to acoustic, acoustic wave management, dynamic fracture reduction in blast loadings, basic research in ceramic armor, dynamic fracture measurement of ceramics. I am coauthor on a number of papers in the field as they were based on the techniques I have developed...

It's a wonderful job, I am basically on my own, free with my time, free to develop new techniques and methodologies. I work with brilliant young minds, challenge them, nurture them, watch them as the grow to be the amazing people that they are..

Jon Isaacs

Mxplx2
sage

Reged: 09/12/12

Loc: NE PA USA
Re: Another poll -- what do you do for a living? new [Re: Jon Isaacs]
      #5867998 - 05/17/13 07:39 PM

Electronics technician now retired. Troubleshot and repaired production and test equipment in a manufacturing environment. Air Force aptitude testing steered me in that direction.

Smittty692k4
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/05/11

Loc: East Bernard, TX
Re: Another poll -- what do you do for a living? new [Re: Mxplx2]
      #5868047 - 05/17/13 07:56 PM

Very wide range here, I'll add mine to the mix.

For the last 7 years I have been in the oil field. I do Production Testing Services. Started out with WoodGroup (bought out by GE) and moved to a mom-n-pop company which is now owned by MI-Swaco and Schlumberger.

Basic job includes flowing back wells after the toe-prep, frac and perforations and drillout. Maximizing well potention before sending the oil, gas, and water to permenant facilities. I started when I was 20, and hopefully within the next few years I can get out of the field as much into a position where I have more time at home. I dont love my job some days, but other days there is nothing wrong with watching movies, playing xbox, and at night, doin a little star-gazing and getting paid for all of it. On the flip side, we rigged up 2 wells in 112 degree heat yesterday afternoon for 6 hours. Give and take.

The only connection my job has with astronomy is it has given me the funds to support my family and this addicting habit. My astro journey began around age 5 or 6 with a book on the solar system I got, the first book I ever remember looking at/reading.

Thanks guys.

AZBleyle

Reged: 09/23/11

Loc: Avondale, Arizona
Re: Another poll -- what do you do for a living? new [Re: Smittty692k4]
      #5868123 - 05/17/13 08:57 PM

20 years various IT jobs from hardware to, NOC (Network Operations Center) tech, to systems analyst. Let's just say, I also limit my electronics to a minimum when viewing.

woolbrig
sage

Reged: 02/01/13

Loc: Bethalto, Illinois
Re: Another poll -- what do you do for a living? new [Re: AZBleyle]
      #5868163 - 05/17/13 09:21 PM

I've been a software engineer for the last 25 years. Wow! I can't believe it's been that long! Been a Sci Fi geek since I was a kid, so astronomy (without a scope until recently) has always been an interest.

Edited by woolbrig (05/17/13 09:54 PM)

Mentor
professor emeritus

Reged: 09/30/10

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Re: Another poll -- what do you do for a living? new [Re: woolbrig]
      #5868192 - 05/17/13 09:37 PM

I'm a medicinal chemist by training, with 15 years of tenure in drug design and discovery. Lots of time spent in the lab playing with any sort of chemicals here. On the positive side, I had free access to any reagent grade solvents that I needed to experiment with for cleaning my optics.

Recently I have moved into formulations and drug development, where we take other people's drugs and manufacture them into finished dosage forms (tablets, nasal sprays, etc) for clinical research. I am less hands on in my new role, where I hold a project management position.

mountain monk
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/06/09

Loc: Grand Teton National Park
Re: Another poll -- what do you do for a living? new [Re: woolbrig]
      #5868196 - 05/17/13 09:39 PM

Taught philosophy at the University of Illinois and still teach a seminar every two years at the University of Utah. As a lifelong mountaineer and guide I helped establish trekking and mountaineering operations and companies in Pakistan, India, Peru, and China for Mountain Travel and Geographic Expeditions; I was president of Exum Mountain Guides in Grand Teton National Park; I'm finishing my fourth book and still writing...

Although my father taught me the basic constellations and love of the sky, I first got interested in astronomy/astrophysics when I sat in on a course from George Gamov in 1966 at the University of Colorado. He inspired everyone he touched.

Good life, no complaints.

Dark skies.

Jack

Edited by mountain monk (05/17/13 09:44 PM)

rockethead26
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/21/09

Loc: Arizona, USA
Re: Another poll -- what do you do for a living? new [Re: mountain monk]
      #5868245 - 05/17/13 09:59 PM

I have a rather eclectic work history:

Marine Biologist, Texas, 3 years
Peace Corps Volunteer, Colombia, 2 years
SCUBA Stores Owner, Florida, 13 years
Project Manager for a software company, Chicago, 5 years
Nature/Travel Photographer, Arizona & Indiana, 13 years & counting

Taylor
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 07/10/05

Loc: Owasso, OK
Re: Another poll -- what do you do for a living? new [Re: rockethead26]
      #5868291 - 05/17/13 10:17 PM

Just graduated from CRNA school, been in my new job for 2 months.

Got into astronomy when I was around 10 or so. Always had a small scope up until I graduated from undergraduate. After undergrad I bought a Nexstar 8 GPS for myself. Had to sell it shortly after I got accepted into grad school.

I actually thought about getting an undergrad degree in astrophysics, but was talked out of it and to consider something with regular business hours with a more steady salary compared to academics. I'm glad things worked out the way they did, I absolutely love my day job and will be building my own observatory later this year.

Cotts
Just Wondering

Reged: 10/10/05

Loc: Toronto, Ontario
Re: Another poll -- what do you do for a living? new [Re: Taylor]
      #5868338 - 05/17/13 10:41 PM

1976-2006, high school teacher. I taught in three subject areas, mostly. Geography and Environmental Science, Mathematics and Instrumental Music. (My University degree was in Physical Geography - where I gleaned the Math as a by-product of scientific work. I minored in Percussion Performance which led me to the Music aspect of my career.)

In my 7th year of retirement now - I still do a fair amount of substitute teaching to pay for my Star Party explorations.

Dave

microstar
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 01/05/08

Loc: Canada
Re: Another poll -- what do you do for a living? new [Re: AZBleyle]
      #5868378 - 05/17/13 10:59 PM

Interesting thread. I'm a professor at a small university in Canada. What's kind of funny is that I'm a microbiologist. So by day I teach and do research on organisms that are microscopic and by night observe and image vast astronomical objects that are up to millions of light years away.
...Keith

Astrodj
professor emeritus

Reged: 08/24/11

Loc: Missouri
Re: Another poll -- what do you do for a living? new [Re: microstar]
      #5868542 - 05/18/13 12:22 AM

I'm an Air Traffic Controller (Tower). I began my career in 1976 and will retire January of 2015. I have been blessed to witness a lot of sunrises and sunsets, more than most I would wager.

I began my astronomy adventure 7 years prior to my career field though when I became absorbed with what I saw between sunset and sunrise.

No regrets here either.

Seldom
professor emeritus

Reged: 08/05/12

Loc: N of Cedar City Light Dome
      #5868555 - 05/18/13 12:29 AM

Used to be Architect in Pennsylvania (now retired). Wrote AutoLisp routines in my spare time. Ground and figured a mirror for Halley. Still use that scope and a big dob I bought. Bought the dob after I realized how good the skies are in my new back yard.

MessiToM
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 12/21/09

Loc: Huntingdon PA
Re: Another poll -- what do you do for a living? new [Re: Seldom]
      #5868575 - 05/18/13 12:45 AM

Gentleman.

I am a male nurse....a MURSE

rlmxracer
sage

Reged: 11/09/11

Loc: Motocross Mecca , CA
Re: Another poll -- what do you do for a living? new [Re: MessiToM]
      #5868615 - 05/18/13 01:24 AM

I've worked in a emergency room for most of the last 19yrs. First licensed as an EMT and the last 6 a paramedic. I was only good at one subject in school and that was science so I went with it.

ben2112
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 07/12/12

Loc: North Charleston SC
Re: Another poll -- what do you do for a living? new [Re: rlmxracer]
      #5868631 - 05/18/13 01:45 AM

I have been in the IT Field for the past 20 years. Started off doing desktop support. I am currently a Virtualization Engineer working with the DoD/VA. Like others, I keep electronics to a minimum. I only use a laptop when I am doing astrophotography.

northernontario
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/01/09

Loc: Porcupine, Ontario Canada
Re: Another poll -- what do you do for a living? new [Re: ben2112]
      #5868720 - 05/18/13 03:26 AM

I started my working career as an automotive mechanic. Graduated to heavy equipment, then realized I hated grease and cut up hands.

Spent 6 years as an underground development miner. Muck out rock bolt drill and blast...old fashioned way. Stopers,jack legs etc. The mine ran out of rocks and it occurred to me that life as a packsack miner was not for me or my family.

I went back to school at 31 and am now a licenced industrial electrician. Mccs,motor control,switch gear, instrumentation,PLC programming and HMI programming.

Going on 20 years in the trade. No intention of changing....I don't think anyways, but you never know what's around life's corners.

jake

chaoscosmos
sage

Reged: 01/26/13

Loc: Mission Viejo CA
Re: Another poll -- what do you do for a living? new [Re: ben2112]
      #5868725 - 05/18/13 03:30 AM

At various times- truck driver, grocery clerk, house painter, commercial photographer, mailman.... all the while involved in artistic pursuit- mostly photography, and painting.. Also did a short bit of writing and teaching.

I had a 60mm Sears refractor as a kid, and yes, it was Saturn and the moon that hooked me. My interest in visual art and seeing connects to astronomy. I've always enjoyed science and nature and delving into the mysteries of the universe. Loved reading popular science books by Isaac Asimov.

Tony Flanders
Postmaster

Reged: 05/18/06

Loc: Cambridge, MA, USA
      #5868826 - 05/18/13 06:06 AM

I've been an editor at Sky & Telescope magazine for the last decade. Before that, I was a computer programmer for 35 years -- since before software engineers were invented.

I'm one of the few 3rd-generation computer programmers I know. My grandfather was a director of computing back when computers were human (women, to be specific), and transitioned naturally to the age when computers became electronic.

gonzosc1
sage

Reged: 11/08/12

Loc: South Carolina
Re: Another poll -- what do you do for a living? new [Re: Tony Flanders]
      #5868855 - 05/18/13 06:51 AM

I have done many jobs over the last 35 years. but I grew up on semi trucks, I've been around them and grew up on them since the age of 5. learned how to drive the 18 wheelers at 14 and drove with my father at 16. since then its been off and on with trucks.
I have kept driving as a fall back job over the past 15 years or so. and it works out great to be able to just up and leave a job when I'm not happy with it and just go back and jump in the truck at will.
I use to take a small scope with me when I would go out west. awesome!!

jpcannavo
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 02/21/05

Loc: Long Island New York
Re: Another poll -- what do you do for a living? new [Re: Tony Flanders]
      #5868859 - 05/18/13 06:53 AM

I'm an addiction psychiatrist/addictionologist. In my now former job, which I left 8 days ago to fulfill a lifelong dream of moving out west (!), I was Chief of Addiction Services for Flushing Hospital Medical Center, and a Professor of Psychiatry at Hofstra NSUH/LIJ School of Medicine; all located in the lovely Bortle 8, pickering 3ish New York Metro area. I am now enjoying a 3 month between job break, but in mid August I will be taking a position as Chief of Chemical Dependency at Kaiser Permanente in Colorado.

My interest in Astronomy pretty much predates everything and goes back to age 7 and my 50mm Tasco refractor. Over the years amateur astronomy and telescope making has dovetailed with my interests in physics, optics, mathematics, carpentry, light fabrication and the great outdoors.

I am very grateful to have a career where the dynamics of demand has allowed me to relocate based on my own geographic preferences. My hope is that living in Colorado will facilitate a greater involvement in this wonderfully multidimensional hobby, while providing a higher quality of life for me and my family.

Joe

dan777
professor emeritus

Reged: 11/16/07

Loc: Indiana
Re: Another poll -- what do you do for a living? new [Re: jpcannavo]
      #5868928 - 05/18/13 08:13 AM

Retired from GM racing group where I did race engine design/ development and electronic fuel injection development for Indy car, NASCAR, NHRA, Trans-Am, ASA and off-road racing.

City Kid
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/06/09

Loc: Northern Indiana
      #5868935 - 05/18/13 08:20 AM

For the past 20 years I have been a machinist for a company that manufactures fire fighting equipment. Prior to that I spent 8 years working for a drug manufacturing company. I mixed the batches of chemicals that were then compressed into tablets. We made Anacin, Dristan, Primatene, Advil, and many others. The only reason I didn't stay at that job was they moved out of the country.

Stargaz18
sage

Reged: 01/04/11

Loc: Wichita Falls, TX
Re: Another poll -- what do you do for a living? new [Re: City Kid]
      #5868985 - 05/18/13 08:54 AM

In my early yrs dabbled in computer programming. Remember punch cards, RPG I&II, Colbalt, Fortran, etc Tony? But for the past 30 yrs an auto mechanic. Todays my birthday and I turn 58. How I'd love to get into another profession, but at my age????

zippeee
sage

Reged: 12/27/10

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Re: Another poll -- what do you do for a living? new [Re: Stargaz18]
      #5869007 - 05/18/13 09:11 AM

Materials engineer and retired chef.

bherv
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/10/06

Loc: WMass
Re: Another poll -- what do you do for a living? new [Re: zippeee]
      #5869047 - 05/18/13 09:45 AM

I am a route salesperson for a large uniform rental company. I have been doing this for 24 years. I have been with my current employer for 7 years. Monday thru Friday hours allows me to get away for observing on new moon weekends.
Barry

BarabinoSr
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 11/17/05

Loc: Slidell La
Re: Another poll -- what do you do for a living? new [Re: zippeee]
      #5869051 - 05/18/13 09:48 AM

Interstate Weigh Station Officer (Interstate 12 Truck scales- Hammond LA.)

DavidNealMinnick
sage

Reged: 03/06/06

#5869144 - 05/18/13 11:11 AM

Retired heavy equipment operator (cat, scraper, motor grader, etc.) after a hitch in the Army ('75-'78).

Had a boyhood interest in astronomy which evaporated as a teenager when I started riding motorcycles and chasing girls. Fell in love with it again at age 41 when I picked up my first copy of S&T (Dec. '97) in a bookstore and bought my first scope.

Taylor
scholastic sledgehammer

#5869246 - 05/18/13 12:29 PM

Quote:

For the past 20 years I have been a machinist for a company that manufactures fire fighting equipment. Prior to that I spent 8 years working for a drug manufacturing company. I mixed the batches of chemicals that were then compressed into tablets. We made Anacin, Dristan, Primatene, Advil, and many others. The only reason I didn't stay at that job was they moved out of the country.

Interesting! I have always wanted to tour a pharmaceutical manufacturing plant. Since my career is based on them, I thought it would be neat to see how they're made.

rdandrea
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 06/13/10

Loc: Colorado, USA DM59ra
      #5869294 - 05/18/13 01:08 PM

Retired geologist (two stints) with one stretch in between of being a computer weenie when mineral exploration got slow.

WesC
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 02/06/13

Loc: La Crescenta, CA
Re: Another poll -- what do you do for a living? new [Re: rdandrea]
      #5869920 - 05/18/13 06:35 PM

What a really interesting and diverse group of folks!

Well I've been a number of things in my time, some at the same time.
Studio/Jazz musician 35 years +, I still play occasionally.
Graphic designer/creative director at various ad firms in Boston MA, 15 years.
Visual effects artist for the last 12 years, currently at DreamWorks Animation.

I think my current job is the one most closely related with astronomy as I always have been a HUGE real space and sci-fi nut. Lots of visual effects in sci-fi movies!

davidpitre
Post Laureate

Reged: 05/10/05

Loc: Central Texas
Re: Another poll -- what do you do for a living? new [Re: WesC]
      #5870000 - 05/18/13 07:33 PM

Organic vegetable farmer for 30 years.

astro_baby
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 06/17/08

Loc: United Kingdom
Re: Another poll -- what do you do for a living? new [Re: davidpitre]
      #5870107 - 05/18/13 08:22 PM

Started life as a secretary, became a COBOL programmer, moved into networking in the late 70s and became an SNA expert/consultant, moved into sales selling high end networking hardware and systems, then on to operations director for an electronics company, marketing guru for a fibre optics company, web designer, search engine consultant and finally back to being a secretary.......i had to take time out to be a primary carer for my dad and when I re entered the jobs market no one wanted a woman in her 50s in any tech role that I am qualified to do so I went back to being a secretary. Its quiet and not too demanding but I get frustrated at times as I have no real intellectual outlet.......its partly why I do astro. I need an outlet.

Noisykids
sage

Reged: 06/01/11

Loc: ma
Re: Another poll -- what do you do for a living? new [Re: astro_baby]
      #5870138 - 05/18/13 08:32 PM

i'm a pastry chef for the world's largest organic and natural foods retailer. started out as a busboy in boston's first hanging fern bauhaus chair restaurant in 1975 and found i really like to cook and bake. got an associate's degree at the age of 50 in baking and pastry arts and managed to get out of the kitchen and into the bakeshop full time. been with the company for 21,463 service hours, which doesn't include overtime, over the past 11.5 years. i was the last person in north america to apprentice as a saucier with a french chef in a working situation, making traditional flour bound classic mother sauces and derivatives.

star drop
Snowed In

Reged: 02/02/08

Loc: Snow Plop, WNY
      #5870315 - 05/18/13 09:41 PM

Quote:

I'm an addiction psychiatrist/addictionologist. In my now former job, which I left 8 days ago to fulfill a lifelong dream of moving out west (!), I was Chief of Addiction Services for Flushing Hospital Medical Center, and a Professor of Psychiatry at Hofstra NSUH/LIJ School of Medicine; all located in the lovely Bortle 8, pickering 3ish New York Metro area. I am now enjoying a 3 month between job break, but in mid August I will be taking a position as Chief of Chemical Dependency at Kaiser Permanente in Colorado.

My interest in Astronomy pretty much predates everything and goes back to age 7 and my 50mm Tasco refractor. Over the years amateur astronomy and telescope making has dovetailed with my interests in physics, optics, mathematics, carpentry, light fabrication and the great outdoors.

I am very grateful to have a career where the dynamics of demand has allowed me to relocate based on my own geographic preferences. My hope is that living in Colorado will facilitate a greater involvement in this wonderfully multidimensional hobby, while providing a higher quality of life for me and my family.

Joe

Doc, can you help me? Some people say I have a posting addiction.

wirenut
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 09/21/06

Loc: m'dale Pa
Re: Another poll -- what do you do for a living? new [Re: star drop]
      #5870372 - 05/18/13 10:09 PM

I think my username gives it away, I'm a electrician. Been doing it for 25 yrs,I've wired everything from hi-rises to outhouses and any electrical system in them.

Asbytec
Guy in a furry hat

Reged: 08/08/07

Loc: La Union, PI
      #5870396 - 05/18/13 10:15 PM

Quote:

Retired Military (1995), now an auditor. Was stationed at the North Pole for a year, not much else to do during the winter except to look at the stars....it was beautiful in its own way, but I was glad to get back to civilization....

Me too, retired military also stationed near the north pole in 1984. Maybe the same place?

We were so far north, you had to look south to see the northern lights. Far too cold to observe, for me, so my 6" homebuilt mirror sat in a box. Polar alignment was a bit interesting. Same with being stationed at 8 degrees north latitude, the milky way's center lay bare across the ocean horizon (beautiful) and the pole star between some distant trees also on the horizon.

Retired from the military, short stint in the bar business, another short stint in IT, and a term as an accountant (volunteer) with the Veterans of Foreign wars (post level.) Now I'm a self sufficient vagabond looking for entrepreneurial opportunities - be my own boss (so much nicer), maybe a fast food franchise, pool cue business, or selling health care suppliments. Not sure which, just yet.

Nice group, such diversity. I was an auto mechanic, too, for a while...trained to be a programmer but never employed in the field. I am working on my second marraige and wear size 10.5. Anything else?

Oh, golf, volley ball, basketball, and private pilot...and into amateur astronomy since pre teens over 40 years ago. That should be it.

David PavlichAdministrator
Transmographied

Reged: 05/18/05

Loc: Mandeville, LA USA
Re: Another poll -- what do you do for a living? new [Re: Asbytec]
      #5870450 - 05/18/13 10:48 PM

For the past 11 years, I've owned a tennis shop. Before that, I was in the steel industry as a contractor ending up as a site manager before I decided that I had a gutfull of the corporate life.

This is part of what we did in many of the steel mills. The slag you see running down the hill is about 2500°F.

Now that's hot!

David

jrbarnett
Eyepiece Hooligan

Reged: 02/28/06

Loc: Petaluma, CA
      #5870462 - 05/18/13 10:57 PM

I've been a mill worker, a janitor, a delivery driver, a farmer, a cook, a photo lab technician, a retail clerk, a bartender, a brewer and a lawyer. The last pays the best but was the least fun. Yes, that's right. Practicing law is *less* fun than cleaning bathrooms. I've been continuously employed on at least a part time basis since I was 13, save for one brief hiatus in 2008 when my company was bought out, and it was hard for awhile to get another in-house lawyer gig. I'm 48 now.

- Jim

Edited by jrbarnett (05/18/13 11:02 PM)

Asbytec
Guy in a furry hat

Reged: 08/08/07

Loc: La Union, PI
Re: Another poll -- what do you do for a living? new [Re: jrbarnett]
      #5870468 - 05/18/13 11:03 PM

No wonder you're the most interesting man in the world, Jim. After a long journey, you ended up not far from where you started.

TL2101
professor emeritus

Reged: 09/17/10

Loc: Concord, Ca
      #5870538 - 05/18/13 11:59 PM

Sold bikes, sold office equipment, sold financing, managed a sales force, sold mortgages. Always liked science but much better at sales. Now retired trying to learn the science I missed all those years selling stuff.

Rocketlawnchair

Reged: 06/17/11

Loc: Toronto, ON
      #5870562 - 05/19/13 12:17 AM

Freelance documentary film editor for the past 20 years.

It was my working on a film about the Jesuit astronomers of the Vatican Observatory that re-kindled my interest in the hobby, and I bought a scope later that year. That was 11 years ago.

linux

Reged: 01/04/13

Loc: Evans, Ga.
Re: Another poll -- what do you do for a living? new [Re: Rocketlawnchair]
      #5870609 - 05/19/13 12:55 AM

Electrical engineer; did some circuit design for a few years then went into management. I spent 25 years at Boeing and retired 3 years ago after a stressful stint on the 787 development.

Got interested in astronomy at age 12 when the guy next door let me look through his very large telescope and I saw Saturn's rings. Got the department store refractor and then forgot about it all until about 6 months ago when I happened to look up at the night sky. Now I'm hooked.

Mark9473
Postmaster

Reged: 07/21/05

Loc: 51°N 4°E
Re: Another poll -- what do you do for a living? new [Re: linux]
      #5870786 - 05/19/13 05:36 AM

I'm in my 20th year of working for a plastic packaging manufacturing company. Started out in R&D and now handle the product safety aspects and lobbying the European Commission. By education I'm a Ph.D. in chemistry; these days I say that "I used to be a chemist" as I've turned into a legislation expert.

av8or

Reged: 10/24/11

Loc: Vista, CA
Re: Another poll -- what do you do for a living? new [Re: Mark9473]
      #5871137 - 05/19/13 11:00 AM

Welder/Fabricator. Been doing it since high school. I just love working with my hands and tinkering.

CollinofAlabama
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/24/03

Loc: Lubbock, Texas, USA
Re: Another poll -- what do you do for a living? new [Re: av8or]
      #5871260 - 05/19/13 12:20 PM

History BA and Spanish minor finishing @ UT in 1986, with various odd jobs in Austin '86-'87 (from construction clean-up to clerking in the AG's office). Took some CS courses and up to Cal III at UT and UAB. Moved to Ames, Iowa in 1987 and worked as a salesman for Beacon MicroCenter. This was a small to mid-size firm with two other locations in Des Moines and Mason City. Learned a lot about computers there when we started assembling clones at this Apple Dealer. I sold computers for one more year after moving to west Texas with the ex in 1992, but then took a job at Big State U as a tech in IT for the then budding field of Network Services (one of the rare people in west Texas at the time who spreche both DOS and MacDraw -- and could write). Learned a thing or two about Cisco routers, 3Com switches, modem pools, thinwire, 10Base5, fiber, and architectural drawings (particularly the E sheets). In 2007 I took a job in the 2-person IT group of the Math Department and that's what I've been doing since. Windows, Macs, and Linux, end-users and servers.

herrointment
Post Laureate

Reged: 03/12/11

Loc: North of Hwy. 64
Re: Another poll -- what do you do for a living? new [Re: wirenut]
      #5871641 - 05/19/13 02:42 PM

I am a sawyer.

Happy Birthday Red Shift

Reged: 11/09/11

Loc: Bloomfield, New Jersey, USA
Re: Another poll -- what do you do for a living? new [Re: herrointment]
      #5871734 - 05/19/13 03:28 PM

Currently Disabled/retired and learning how to walk again.

Spent 5 years in Rubber Chemistry R&D and 2 of those also full-time in Electronics school.

Then I spent 35 years in Data Communications Field Service, Network Operations and Network Engineering working for the major news ( AP ) & publishing outfits ( Dow Jones/ Telerate ), some of the world's largest Banks ( Bankers Trust, Barclay's, Citibank & Bear Stearns ( as a consultant 2x ) and largest Computer & Communication Companies - Data General, and Lucent ( as a Consultant ), and AT&T as a consultant 2x ) prior to losing my leg last year to complications of peripheral artery disease.

Have been interested in astronomy, and observing on and off for almost 50 years.

Edited by Red Shift (05/19/13 04:42 PM)

David PavlichAdministrator
Transmographied

Reged: 05/18/05

Loc: Mandeville, LA USA
      #5871867 - 05/19/13 04:16 PM

Quote:

I am a sawyer.

As in a roughcut sawmill?

David

Niels2011

Reged: 06/09/11

Loc: UK
Re: Another poll -- what do you do for a living? new [Re: David Pavlich]
      #5871922 - 05/19/13 04:37 PM

I'm a Clinical Psychologist - I'm rediscovering my childhood interest in astronomy and physics, and it's great to be able to get out into the wilderness, just in my back garden.

philrod

Reged: 07/19/04

Loc: Fallon, Nevada
Re: Another poll -- what do you do for a living? new [Re: David Pavlich]
      #5871931 - 05/19/13 04:45 PM

Retired seafarer. Navy, Merchant marine, sport fishing and small craft operator for the Army. Took up astronomy after retirement. I'm 75, dealing with lack of energy & memory issues, but I still know which end of the telescope to look through and how to work Sky Commander.

Phil

TV85 & SV102ED
DM4 & GM8
Lot's of Radians

John Miele
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/29/05

Loc: North Alabama
Re: Another poll -- what do you do for a living? new [Re: philrod]
      #5872054 - 05/19/13 05:43 PM

I'm an Aerospace Engineer specializing in structural analysis. I have been lucky enough to work on many space programs like the Space Station, Space Shuttle, Spacelab, and SpaceHab. As a SpaceHab payload structural engineer, I saw Columbia launch and was at the runway waiting for the landing, but she never made it back ...Currently, I support repairs and upgrades of CH-47 Chinook helicopters for the US Army. It's been a heck of a ride. I'm 52...John

Eric63
professor emeritus

Reged: 06/16/12

Loc: Ottawa, Ontario
Re: Another poll -- what do you do for a living? new [Re: philrod]
      #5872060 - 05/19/13 05:47 PM

I’m an Environmental Engineer. Spent 17 years in the private sector working on river rehabilitation and wetland projects, then moved to the public sector 10 years ago for lifestyle reasons. I’m now a stormwater management specialist. Discovered astronomy by chance last year after my son bought a 6 inch Newtonian. I got hooked but he gave it up (girls were more important ). I'm 49 and a father of 2, divorced and re-married. That's about it.

Eric

Edited by Eric63 (05/19/13 05:55 PM)

herrointment
Post Laureate

Reged: 03/12/11

Loc: North of Hwy. 64
Re: Another poll -- what do you do for a living? new [Re: Eric63]
      #5872167 - 05/19/13 06:34 PM

I was a head saw operator running mixed hardwoods for 2+ years. Now running a component saw in a truss plant, along with the saws in my home wood shop. Currently I'm teaching myself to sharpen a hand saw for good measure.

cuivienor
professor emeritus

Reged: 10/07/10

Loc: Tokyo, Japan
      #5872315 - 05/19/13 07:48 PM

product manager at a vendor of trading and risk management system for hedgefunds. Very interesting, but traders and risk managers can be extremely tough to deal with... still trying to find ideas to start my own business in Japan

GeneT
Ely Kid

#5872350 - 05/19/13 08:05 PM

I mowed lawns in Ely, Nevada because if I did not like the haircuts my mother gave me, I could pay for my own. The same for shoes. Mowing lawns, I also saved up $79.95 for a four inch Dynascope. At age 14, I got a job as a dishwasher at the Bank Club in Ely. At age 15, I was a 'yard man' at the bank club. In the basement, I made up huge batches of fried chicken, pancake batter, tubs of salad, salad dressing, straw berry shortcake and so on. I also drove all the stuff from the Bank Club to the Hotel Nevada across the street. The Vietnam War was heating up, so I accepted an Air Force commission in 1966. I served as a speech writer for general officers, as editor, AIRMAN Magazine, the official magazine of the Air Force, as the Editor and Publisher of the European Stars and Stripes. I retired from the Air Force on January 1, 1994 after serving about 28 years. For five years, I worked as a marketing officer with a major bank in San Antonio. I retired from all paid professions about 10 years ago. For the past 15 years, I have served as an ordained deacon here in San Antonio. I turned 70 on May 3rd. Life is good!

Tom Polakis
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/20/04

Loc: Tempe, Arizona
      #5872369 - 05/19/13 08:15 PM

Mechanical engineer in turbine engines. First 1 1/2 years out of school at Pratt & Whitney in Connecticut, and from 1985 through present in Phoenix with Honeywell (an engineer could do a lot worse). Currently, the main products I support are auxiliary power units for large commercial aircraft. I do mostly flow, thermal, stress, and life analysis -- basically applied college engineering homework problems.

Tom

avarakin
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 07/13/09

Loc: Parsippany NJ, USA
      #5872438 - 05/19/13 08:45 PM

I started as electrical engineer then moved to programming microprocessors then PCs then larger computers. Now I am software architect in a financial company.

zjc26138
Loved By All

Reged: 02/24/05

Loc: Mingo Junction, Ohio
Re: Another poll -- what do you do for a living? new [Re: Tom Polakis]
      #5872450 - 05/19/13 08:48 PM

Currently unemployed, but a former Engineer at Surface Highwall coal mine operation in eastern Ohio. I did a lot of topographic mapping using Altus GPS Rover and TopCon robotic total station. Then said data was uploaded and turned into 3D terrain maps in AutoCAD. Pretty much involved in all engineer and production matters concerning the extraction of coal.

Roosto
journeyman

Reged: 03/31/13

Loc: Sunny Southern California
      #5872493 - 05/19/13 09:09 PM

Mattress Tester in Hot Springs.

jrbarnett
Eyepiece Hooligan

Re: Another poll -- what do you do for a living? new [Re: Niels2011]
      #5872626 - 05/19/13 09:54 PM

Let's talk about your childhood and this astronomy fetish...

Just teasin' ya. We all know that sometimes a telescope is, well, just a telescope.

- Jim

jrbarnett
Eyepiece Hooligan

#5872690 - 05/19/13 10:21 PM

Gene, I love San Antonio. Were Terri and I to move to Texas (might work for me; it's a big state with room for both me and my ego. ), it'd be San Antonio or Austin, I think. I prefer San Antonio. Terri prefers California, so I suspect that she'd like Austin more than San Antonio, because Austin is to Texas what San Francisco is to California.

If I retired to San Antonio, I'd open a barbecue joint and teach the Texans how to do it correctly.

Regards,

Jim

Americal

Reged: 09/14/07

Loc: Under the L. A. lightdome
      #5872949 - 05/20/13 01:14 AM

Retired Ordnance Officer and most recently a retired building supply company owner. Considering I've retired from so many positions I guess I've finally found the job for which I've been training all these years.

Busguy

Reged: 06/14/07

Loc: Kentucky
Re: Another poll -- what do you do for a living? new [Re: Americal]
      #5872984 - 05/20/13 01:50 AM

Pilot, flew fighters in the USAF. Got out, worked as an analyst at a major bank that acquired a bank in San Antonio specializing in Military clients. Went back to flying with global airline.

Whichwayisnorth
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/04/11

Loc: Southern California
Re: Another poll -- what do you do for a living? new [Re: Busguy]
      #5872989 - 05/20/13 01:54 AM

Male Escort.

CollinofAlabama
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/24/03

Loc: Lubbock, Texas, USA
      #5873009 - 05/20/13 02:20 AM

Might wanna visit there in July before deciding that, Jim. I'm from Birmingham, hardly a cool place in the USA at 33.5 degrees north, but by the time I left Austin in 1987 I was ready. Have spent most of the past 4th of Julys in New Braunfels, between Austin and San Antone, and every year when my wife and I return, tho we leave feeling Lubbock is too hot, we return with a deep appreciation for the 33.5* parallel (and 3250' altitude). You know Union Reconstruction General Sheridan's famous quote, "If I owned Texas and Hell, I would live in Hell and rent out Texas". Well, he said that after a Summer in Austin. Central Texas has wonderful history, and the missions of San Antonio are majestic. They have beautiful wildflower-filled springs, rather mild winters, and nice falls, but from about this time of year till the end of September, well, see General Sheridan's quote.

Smittty692k4
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/05/11

Loc: East Bernard, TX
      #5873199 - 05/20/13 08:07 AM

Quote:

If I retired to San Antonio, I'd open a barbecue joint and teach the Texans how to do it correctly.

Regards,

Jim

The most ridiculous quote in the World... HAHA

You know what they say, "if you cant take the heat, stay out of the state" Is that how that goes? All I can think about now is brisket...MMMMM Brisket and sausage..

Ok, come open a BBQ place. Can never have enough BBQ.

WesC
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 02/06/13

Loc: La Crescenta, CA
      #5873757 - 05/20/13 01:21 PM

Quote:

Regards,

Jim

As a native Texan I have to agree with you. Sadly the best BBQ I have had has been right here in Pasadena, CA. Although, there are a couple of places out in the hills near Glen Rose, TX that are pretty amazing.

CharlesW
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 11/02/12

Loc: Chula Vista & Indio, CA
Re: Another poll -- what do you do for a living? new [Re: WesC]
      #5873891 - 05/20/13 02:42 PM

I retired at 50 but for 28 years I was a marriage counselor, hunter of people, trash collector, psychologist, medic, fire fighter, traffic director, professional driver, guard, delivery man, minstrel, and referee. Yes, for 28 years I was a deputy sheriff. 

AstroDan77

Reged: 05/15/13

Loc: New Hampshire
Re: Another poll -- what do you do for a living? new [Re: CharlesW]
      #5874996 - 05/20/13 11:54 PM

Nuclear Security.....aka sit around and blog about space all night while chatting with Rad Techs and Control Rm. folks.

BillFerris
Post Laureate

Reged: 07/17/04

Loc: Flagstaff, Arizona, USA
Re: Another poll -- what do you do for a living? new [Re: Whichwayisnorth]
      #5875059 - 05/21/13 12:52 AM

Quote:

Male Escort.

Is that anything like a Ford Escort?

ThreeD
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 12/23/08

Loc: Sacramento suburbs
Re: Another poll -- what do you do for a living? new [Re: BillFerris]
      #5875083 - 05/21/13 02:22 AM

Electrical & Electronics Engineer by education but never used it -- I'm a Software/Firmware Engineer by trade. Started out doing PC software (every heard of Snappy Video Snapshot?) but moved more into the embedded space and lower level code since I'm not afraid of hardware. For about the last 13 years I've been working for a company that was founded in a garage in Palo Alto.

Being a science minded guy, I've always had a casual interest in astronomy. It wasn't until a few years ago that I used my children as an excuse to make sure my birthday present was my first telescope.

Aperturefever

Reged: 12/12/10

Loc: Lake Macquarie, Australia
Re: Another poll -- what do you do for a living? new [Re: ThreeD]
      #5875191 - 05/21/13 06:08 AM

Journalist for 23 years. Dived on a volunteer redundancy last year along with my wife (also a sub-editor at The Newcastle Herald) as the print media is lost and dying (not that I'm bitter) and am now studying Earth Sciences at the University of Newcastle. Hopefully my brain cells are still working ....

Kon Dealer
professor emeritus

Reged: 01/05/11

Loc: Cambridge UK
Re: Another poll -- what do you do for a living? new [Re: Aperturefever]
      #5875218 - 05/21/13 06:48 AM

Biochemist- work in Cambridge, UK.

RobertED
Post Laureate

Reged: 07/11/03

Loc: Smithfield, RI
Re: Another poll -- what do you do for a living? new [Re: Kon Dealer]
      #5875238 - 05/21/13 07:11 AM

I'm 53, currently unemployed...and constantly reminded about it by my wife!!!!......

RobertED
Post Laureate

Reged: 07/11/03

Loc: Smithfield, RI
      #5875241 - 05/21/13 07:14 AM

Quote:

Gene, I love San Antonio. Were Terri and I to move to Texas (might work for me; it's a big state with room for both me and my ego. ), it'd be San Antonio or Austin, I think. I prefer San Antonio. Terri prefers California, so I suspect that she'd like Austin more than San Antonio, because Austin is to Texas what San Francisco is to California.

Regards,

Jim

...sign me up for your school, brother!! I wanna learn "the right way!"

ChipAtNight

Reged: 01/09/08

Loc: N.C. (Love the Blue Ridge)
Re: Another poll -- what do you do for a living? new [Re: Kon Dealer]
      #5875242 - 05/21/13 07:15 AM

Retired USAF 1994 - did my years at Thule above the arctic circle (1991-92), moved on to computer programming, then one day/night decided that it was time for a hobby! Will retire again in Nov. this year and then attempt to camp in every national park in the lower 48. Lots of obeserving and macro photograph in my future.

ubermick

Reged: 04/12/12

Loc: San Rafael, CA
Re: Another poll -- what do you do for a living? new [Re: ChipAtNight]
      #5875666 - 05/21/13 11:50 AM

I'm a creative director for a non-profit. Think Don Draper in Mad Men, only I'm ugly, drinking on the job is obviously a sackable offence, don't smoke, and don't have a creative team, it's just me so I don't get to boss anyone around.

Hmm. So nothing like Don Draper at all, really...!

ensign
professor emeritus

Reged: 12/16/08

Loc: Southwestern Ontario
Re: Another poll -- what do you do for a living? new [Re: ubermick]
      #5875756 - 05/21/13 12:31 PM

I've had 14 different roles/jobs in IT over the last 35 years ranging from programmer to senior management. I am currently a Database Administrator/Developer/Architect and spend my days analyzing and moving multiple terabytes of data around.

It's a living . . .

YetAnotherHobby
sage

Reged: 09/02/09

Loc: Central CT
      #5875981 - 05/21/13 01:52 PM

24 years with the same company probably makes me an anachronism these days. Started in a factory job, second shift, building electronics. Got a degree, a job as an engineer, and watched all the factory work move overseas. Now I field calls from Asia in the middle of the night to troubleshoot electronics manufacturing hiccups . Not glamorous by any stretch, but it funds my addiction to expensive glass.

csrlice12
Postmaster

Re: Another poll -- what do you do for a living? new [Re: YetAnotherHobby]
      #5876010 - 05/21/13 02:09 PM

I suck photons out of the night sky with my eyes....weather permitting of course....

mayidunk
Don't Ask...

Reged: 02/17/10

Loc: Betwixt & Between...
      #5876083 - 05/21/13 02:36 PM

I was a Radio Relay Technician when I was in the Air Force. After that, I was a machinist. After that, I went into Information Technology, first as an IBM mainframe programmer, and then administering dimensional data warehouses and data marts on IBM mainframes, and Unix mid-level platforms.

After being in IT for over 25 years, I was forced into an early retirement, which was difficult to accept at first. However, I am now enjoying every minute of it!

Edited by mayidunk (05/21/13 02:44 PM)

Silver Bear

Reged: 04/02/13

Loc: Brazos Valley in Texas
Re: Another poll -- what do you do for a living? new [Re: mayidunk]
      #5876192 - 05/21/13 03:26 PM

Was a lab tech, then an analytical chemist, for 25 years with the state. Retired early when medical issues became to great for the stress of a regulatory lab.

Am currently managing my investments while looking for another career to embark upon, while being kept busy by my family, scouts, and church.

Scouts tied me back into astronomy. I was looking into some scouts taking their astronomy merit badge, when I noticed the young man teaching it was giving some distinctly wrong information (like the number of light years a star is from earth is the number of minutes the light takes to get to earth...). After gently correcting him, I guess it made an impression on the scouts. Later, as the troop was deciding who was going to assist these boys in finishing their astronomy badge, to a scout, they jumped up and said I was the perfect one, as I knew more than their teacher did.

Hmmmm....should have kept my mouth shut....as by showing these boys the skies, I got hooked myself.

Now, after 30 years, I've taken up navigating the skies, and am currently hooked on double stars.

Edited by Silver Bear (05/21/13 03:28 PM)

Phillip Creed
Idiot Seeking Village

Reged: 07/25/06

Loc: Canton, OH
Re: Another poll -- what do you do for a living? new [Re: Silver Bear]
      #5876194 - 05/21/13 03:28 PM

I design thermoplastic extrusion dies. Mostly profiles, with the occasional tubing dies thrown in for good measure.

Clear Skies,
Phil

City Kid
Carpal Tunnel

#5876217 - 05/21/13 03:40 PM

Quote:

I was a Radio Relay Technician when I was in the Air Force.

Me too. By any chance were you ever stationed in Germany? 1st Comm?

festa_freak

Reged: 12/22/11

Loc: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
      #5876231 - 05/21/13 03:46 PM

I worked a few jobs out of high school for money and paid myself through college and got a diploma in electonics engineering technology.

I am almost done my second year at my provincial power utility. I got into astronomy because I wanted a hobby that would be good up north where I may need to live for a while. All people do up there is drink and I don't drink, sooooo, needed something other than TV/movies/video games/reading to pass the time.

The Planetman
professor emeritus

Reged: 01/27/06

Loc: Western KY
Re: Another poll -- what do you do for a living? new [Re: Phillip Creed]
      #5876251 - 05/21/13 03:53 PM

I started a paying job at 13 mowing yards and doing odds and ends for the little old ladies around town.
Since then, I've been a mechanic, asst. parts manager at a GM dealership, asst. manager at a lumber company, building contractor/custom woodworker, owned a portable planetarium (STARLAB), mayor of my small community (I wouldn't suggest that one to anybody...), and now I'm back at a previous position I held several years ago, Planetarium Director.
Along the way, I earned a BS in geography with an emphasis in meteorology and the only job I ever lost was at a weather office in Evansville in the early 90's. Had a job lined up and waiting for me after I graduated, but the Meteorologist in Charge called me during my last semester to inform me of the closure.
Oh well, I've had a lot of fun so far and I'm 46...

BillFerris
Post Laureate

Reged: 07/17/04

Loc: Flagstaff, Arizona, USA
      #5876661 - 05/21/13 06:40 PM

I manage television production at a university in the Southwest US. I got my start in TV through a friend who worked on the student production crew at a major Midwest PBS affiliate. It dawned on me that I could get paid for making what I lik3ed watching in my free time. I started in live sports production as a camera op, eventually worked my way up to producing and directing. Since making the move to management, much of my focus has been transitioning our production facilities from analog SD to digital HD.

I was a longtime, active deep sky observer until the early 2000's. After my son was born, my body clock changed. The all-night observing sessions I used to pull off effortlessly in mid-week are no more. It's been ten years since I've needed an alarm clock to wake up by 6am. Seven years ago, I discovered a new obsession: hiking and backpacking Grand Canyon. When I was an active observer, I sketched what I saw. Now, I bring my DSLR into the canyon and photograph one of the most amazing places on the planet.

Bill in Flag

slarsson

Reged: 05/01/13

Loc: Vancouver Island BC
Re: Another poll -- what do you do for a living? new [Re: ChipAtNight]
      #5876665 - 05/21/13 06:42 PM

Physician (radiation oncologist) in Victoria, BC

Meade ETX80
Celestron classic C8 on a CG-5

GeneT
Ely Kid

#5876953 - 05/21/13 09:13 PM

Quote:

I'm an addiction psychiatrist/addictionologist.

I think there are lot of people in the eyepiece forum that could use your services.

Phil1

Reged: 11/06/07

Loc: N.C.
      #5876962 - 05/21/13 09:19 PM

Maintenance mechanic retired now and enjoying it more than any of the years I worked .

s58y
Postmaster

Reged: 12/12/04

Loc: Eastern NY
Re: Another poll -- what do you do for a living? new [Re: Phil1]
      #5877018 - 05/21/13 09:54 PM

About 40 years computer programming between 1966 and 2013, all with the same company (but interrupted by school and military service)

Retired May 1, 2013

sslcm56

Reged: 07/20/12

Loc: Montgomery, Al.
Re: Another poll -- what do you do for a living? new [Re: s58y]
      #5877117 - 05/21/13 11:03 PM

FedEx Home delivery driver. I ride around all day in a full size Chevy van with the AC on and listen to the radio. Some time I have to actually get out and give someone their package. I drive a rural route and cover 2 1/2 counties(about 325 miles) every day. Most of the time I see more deer and turkey in a day than I do people.
I'm 57 have a 13 year old son, a 31 year old daughter, 2 grandchildren, and the best wife.

Gil V
sage

Reged: 09/09/12

Re: Another poll -- what do you do for a living? new [Re: s58y]
      #5877121 - 05/21/13 11:07 PM

I worked at Criterion for six years, then at an aerospace firm for two years. Then, 23 years as a planning manager in a sheet metal HVAC company. They closed. Three years at another aerospace firm, laid off.

Now, I'm living off unemployment and browsing the (poor) job market. I am using my telescopes a lot more, though!

jrbarnett
Eyepiece Hooligan

Re: Another poll -- what do you do for a living? new [Re: CollinofAlabama]
      #5877133 - 05/21/13 11:14 PM

Texas isn't too hot. Well, maybe for a damned Yankee. But not for a proper gentleman. Seriously, though, I find 110F delightful. No wimpy moist mid-90s Austin summer is gonna slow me down. That's just cerveza and brisket weather, amigo.

- Jim

k9yr

Reged: 05/21/08

Loc: Far North suburbs of Chicago
      #5877166 - 05/21/13 11:31 PM

I'm a Field Specialist, conducting factory inspections and quality audits to verify products are built to UL safety standards. I also volunteer with a great Astronomy Club I belong to.

Silver Bear

Reged: 04/02/13

Loc: Brazos Valley in Texas
      #5877201 - 05/22/13 12:04 AM

I somehow knew the comment was going to appear....

jrbarnett
Eyepiece Hooligan

Re: Another poll -- what do you do for a living? new [Re: Phillip Creed]
      #5877225 - 05/22/13 12:29 AM

Ever use Autodesk Moldflow?

- Jim

RussL
Music Maker

Reged: 03/18/08

Loc: Cayce and Lancaster, SC
Re: Another poll -- what do you do for a living? new [Re: k9yr]
      #5877526 - 05/22/13 08:30 AM

For the last 28 years I've been a master craftsman, building and maintaining exhibits at the South Carolina State Museum in Columbia, SC. I'm also a semi-pro musician (was full-time for a few years way back).

leviathan
sage

Reged: 11/29/11

Loc: Azerbaijan
      #5877538 - 05/22/13 08:37 AM

I work as IT Manager for many years now. And in fact this is (was) my first hobby (computers), astronomy is 2'nd. I graduated economic university.

rtomw77
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 10/06/04

Loc: Deer Valley, AZ
Re: Another poll -- what do you do for a living? new [Re: leviathan]
      #5877698 - 05/22/13 10:24 AM

I have been a pharmacist for over 40 years and have always worked in hospitals. I've been at the same place for over 25 years now.

Mowing lawns and odd jobs paid for my first scope, an Edmund 4.25" Palomar Jr. f/10 reflector, while I was in high school in 1966.

Tom

Wade J
sage

Reged: 05/27/07

Loc: south dakota
Re: Another poll -- what do you do for a living? new [Re: rtomw77]
      #5877718 - 05/22/13 10:39 AM

Another Pharmacist here. I have worked mostly in retail stores for the past 32 years. My work schedule is working the nice clear days (or the next mornng for clear nights) and when I have off days it is cloudy.

nightofnit

Reged: 04/06/11

Loc: NW Ohio
Re: Another poll -- what do you do for a living? new [Re: Wade J]
      #5877866 - 05/22/13 11:54 AM

Tire forensic engineer

csrlice12
Postmaster

Re: Another poll -- what do you do for a living? new [Re: k9yr]
      #5877956 - 05/22/13 12:46 PM

Up until about 3 months ago, I was on an audit team that audited Lockheed Martin where they designed the space shuttle and the New Consellation series of spacecraft. Got to see the new Constellation capsule about 4 month's ago. Interesting place to work....didn't have a lot to do with the hobby though as I was already interested before I got there. Now I audit universities....

Jarrod
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 01/20/13

Loc: SE USA
      #5878573 - 05/22/13 05:05 PM

Research professor at a major university. The fact that I'm a curious person has drawn me to Astronomy, as well as to my profession. I'd say that is the only link between the two.

germana1
professor emeritus

Reged: 05/14/09

Loc: New Jersey
Re: Another poll -- what do you do for a living? new [Re: Jarrod]
      #5878886 - 05/22/13 07:09 PM

Been in the import auto repair business for the last 40+ years self employed just recently started to fix domestic vehicles,and loving every minute of it. Three kids lots of animals loving wife,Life,s good.I think I have a scope addiction!
Pete

Perigny270

Reged: 10/23/11

Loc: Temiscaming, Quebec
Re: Another poll -- what do you do for a living? new [Re: Jarrod]
      #5878919 - 05/22/13 07:35 PM

fascinating variety of jobs. Boy would it be fun to havestar party with this gang!
Me? Process engineer in a pulp mill that purifies cellulose from trees. Our products are the raw material for an unbelievable range of products all over the world: pharmaceutical and food grades, explosives, LCD screens, thickeners, clothing... My job is centred around chemical, water and heat recovery, as well as wastewater treatment. Of couse one of the attractions here is the clear dark sky. Blue zone where I live and 10 miles or so to gray and black. have been looking up as long as I can remember. Brought up surrounded with radios and airplanes. Now close to retirement...

Tim Gilliland
professor emeritus

Reged: 03/28/09

Loc: Sand Springs Okla.
Re: Another poll -- what do you do for a living? new [Re: Perigny270]
      #5879003 - 05/22/13 08:17 PM

33 years in a oil field chemicals plant. Last three of it in an office. My Obs is named the Hardhat Observatory for a reason. Shift work for 30 years made Astronomy an easy hobby to pick up.

haywool

Reged: 05/07/12

Loc: Illinois, U.S.A.
Re: Another poll -- what do you do for a living? new [Re: Tim Gilliland]
      #5879015 - 05/22/13 08:28 PM

Farmer and musician ... no longer a flight instructor :-(

EddWen
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 04/26/08

Re: Another poll -- what do you do for a living? new [Re: haywool]
      #5879024 - 05/22/13 08:33 PM

An Alaskan bush pilot masquerading as an Orange County CA Entrepreneur.

Retired from work.

Still flying.

amicus sidera
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/14/11

Loc: East of the Sun, West of the M...
      #5879065 - 05/22/13 09:00 PM

I'm a rag picker out behind the supermarket, and live in a van down by the river.

MarkShay

Reged: 11/10/11

Re: Another poll -- what do you do for a living? new [Re: amicus sidera]
      #5879308 - 05/22/13 11:30 PM

First 18 years managed a test department for the Harris corp. defense sector, then the cold war ended. Next 20 years managed a surgical practice. Retired due to health issues and am very happy with that.

Mark Costello
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/08/05

Loc: Matthews, NC, USA
      #5879794 - 05/23/13 09:06 AM

Hi Mike. I'm a nuclear engineer and have worked as one for 37 years running. For the last 30 years I've worked for a untility supporting the operation of its "fleet" of nuclear power stations. Most of my work is for the Catawba Nuclear Station, but a good bit for McGuire and Oconee as well.

It's a blessing that it's a job that for the most part I like. The only connections to my asto-hobby are

1) There is a scientific bent to both.
2) Both involve analytic thinking.
3) There are a few colleagues and friends here who also are amateur astronomers and sometimes we talk telescopes and star gazing.

cliff mygatt
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/27/09

Loc: Kitsap County, WA
Re: Another poll -- what do you do for a living? new [Re: Mark Costello]
      #5879832 - 05/23/13 09:31 AM

I am a retired Naval Officer after 30 years in the Naval Nuclear power program. I am now a nuclear submarine maintenance manager for a submarine squadron, it was nice to retire and still work my expertise. I have loved the night sky since I was a kid growing up with the moon landings in my living room.

csrlice12
Postmaster

Re: Another poll -- what do you do for a living? new [Re: Mark Costello]
      #5879844 - 05/23/13 09:38 AM

Quote:

Hi Mike. I'm a nuclear engineer and have worked as one for 37 years running. For the last 30 years I've worked for a untility supporting the operation of its "fleet" of nuclear power stations. Most of my work is for the Catawba Nuclear Station, but a good bit for McGuire and Oconee as well.

It's a blessing that it's a job that for the most part I like. The only connections to my asto-hobby are

3) There are a few colleagues and friends here who also are amateur astronomers and sometimes we talk telescopes and star gazing.

Doesn't that "glow in the dark" thingy kind of mess up the astronomy thingy????

Mark Costello
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/08/05

Loc: Matthews, NC, USA
      #5880227 - 05/23/13 01:22 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Doesn't that "glow in the dark" thingy kind of mess up the astronomy thingy????

Naw, it actually makes for a good "dark light" to help see my sketchpad.

mayidunk
Don't Ask...

#5880575 - 05/23/13 03:52 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Nope, but I passed thru Germany on the way to my permanent location! I was at a fixed Tropo site which supported both voice, and crypto. Where, when, and at who, I'll have to leave out.

Were you also at a fixed location, or goin' mobile with TRC-97s?

City Kid
Carpal Tunnel

#5880606 - 05/23/13 04:02 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Nope, but I passed thru Germany on the way to my permanent location! I was at a fixed Tropo site which supported both voice, and crypto. Where, when, and at who, I'll have to leave out.

I worked on TRC-97s. I was at Lindsey Air Station in Wiesbaden from 1979-1981.

JoeR
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 03/07/10

Loc: Columbus, OH
      #5880682 - 05/23/13 04:31 PM

Merchant disputes for EFS debit cards. Also a small pittance in music royalites.

mayidunk
Don't Ask...

#5880687 - 05/23/13 04:33 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

FACP?

Jmax
professor emeritus

Reged: 09/28/10

Loc: Alabama
      #5882062 - 05/24/13 11:30 AM

I'm a College Library Director.

I always wanted to be a scientist growing up. My loves were Paleontology and Astronomy. I also dreamed of being a writer and began writing poetry when I was very young. I guess my 'left-brain' won out in the end and I majored in English. I found myself not dedicated enough to be the 'great writer' I dreamed of becoming. Being pretty much an 'ultimate generalist,' what profession could be better than a Librarian. I found myself working in a public library a few years after college, and everything just kind of fell into place. I finished my MLIS a couple of years later. It is the one profession that I can literally say relates to every subject, including my early love... Astronomy.

John

tim57064
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 08/23/12

Loc: Southeast South Dakota,USA
Re: Another poll -- what do you do for a living? new [Re: Wade J]
      #5882216 - 05/24/13 12:36 PM

Quote:

Another Pharmacist here. I have worked mostly in retail stores for the past 32 years. My work schedule is working the nice clear days (or the next mornng for clear nights) and when I have off days it is cloudy.

Wade I tired to send a PM yet you are not accepting.Would like to know what part of South Dakota you live in. Send me a PM if you are able to. Tim

David Gray
sage

Reged: 08/06/12

Loc: Co. Durham UK
      #5882399 - 05/24/13 02:03 PM

Retired baker.

Perhaps I owe Trimdon Bakeries for getting me on course for my first telescope (3" refractor). In 1961 Jan/Feb. as an apprentice one of my last jobs was to gather and burn the rubbish (6/7p.m.- 5 a.m. start!) and on what must have been a long sequence of clear nights was Venus brilliantly gleaming down each evening. THAT was the trigger to finally getting a scope – and I still mark each 8-year repeat of that elongation!

mayidunk
Don't Ask...

#5883557 - 05/25/13 07:12 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

OK, you were assigned to the 1st Combat Communications Squadron! I had to look that up, as I wasn't familiar with it. In my previous post, I was asking if you were supporting TACC as part of an FACP (Forward Air Control Post) as TRC-97s were pretty much part, and parcel for FACPs.

From what I read, 1st COMM was really all about providing the mobile comms, and ATC capabilities for airbases we built in combat zones overseas. They apparently have quite a proud history, according to what I read! Here's the link to where I got my info:

http://1stmob.com/h.htm

Heh... small world, huh? I guess they finally retired the TRC-97s, and replaced them with digital gear. The end of an era!

Sean Cunneen
Let Me Think

Reged: 08/01/07

Loc: Blue Island Illinois
      #5883614 - 05/25/13 09:02 AM

I have been a Chef for 16 years, the last 7 years in a job training program in Chicago. Last year I took an Assistant Director's position so I now oversee Inspiration Kitchens, two Social Enterprise Restaurants that are open to the public and train homeless/ex offenders good work ethics and culinary training in the back to get them off state aid and into the workforce. I live in two worlds, Restaurant Management and Nonprofit/Corporate. Most of the time I'm having a ball...

City Kid
Carpal Tunnel

#5883671 - 05/25/13 09:55 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

OK, you were assigned to the 1st Combat Communications Squadron! I had to look that up, as I wasn't familiar with it. In my previous post, I was asking if you were supporting TACC as part of an FACP (Forward Air Control Post) as TRC-97s were pretty much part, and parcel for FACPs.

From what I read, 1st COMM was really all about providing the mobile comms, and ATC capabilities for airbases we built in combat zones overseas. They apparently have quite a proud history, according to what I read! Here's the link to where I got my info:

http://1stmob.com/h.htm

Heh... small world, huh? I guess they finally retired the TRC-97s, and replaced them with digital gear. The end of an era!

Yes, we were a very proud unit. I took part in some very big NATO exercises and we provided communications for the failed rescue attempt of the hostages in Iran. I personally didn't but 5 or 6 people in my shop did. We didn't know what they were doing until after the fact. All we knew was it was very secret and very big. I was there to greet the hostages when they were finally released and it's difficult to explain just how memorable and awesome that was.

REC
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/20/10

Loc: NC
Re: Another poll -- what do you do for a living? new [Re: RobertED]
      #5883813 - 05/25/13 11:25 AM

Sales and marketing in the camera industry all my life....things sure have changed in the last 10 yrs!

FirstSight
Duke of Deneb

Reged: 12/26/05

Loc: Raleigh, NC
Re: Another poll -- what do you do for a living? new [Re: REC]
      #5883997 - 05/25/13 01:44 PM

Collect photons at night, referee soccer by day. I'm retired from being a practicing attorney who switched over to writing software. Still have my law license in good standing, but feel no urge to go back to practicing, and in the twenty+ years since I've forgotten 80%+ of what was once off the top of my head.

Carol L

Reged: 07/05/04

Loc: Tomahawk, WI 45N//89W
      #5884145 - 05/25/13 02:54 PM

"What's your occupational background, and did it (or not) connect you to the hobby?"

Neither of my first 2 jobs connected me to the hobby, but the hobby connected me to my present job.

I worked as an Insurance Underwriter in downtown Chicago for a number of years, but quit to be a full-time Mom when our 1st Son was born (a second Son arrived three years later). The Mom-job was 24/7 and money was always tight because we were a single-income family, but staying at home with the Boys was the best decision Hubby and I ever made - - absolutely no regrets.

Then early in 2009, the Editor of Sky at Night magazine (UK) sent me an email asking if I'd be interested in authoring a monthly sketch page for them. I accepted , and have been writing the articles since June 2009. The job offer came like a bolt out of the blue, because I couldn't figure out where he'd seen my sketches - I've never submitted them anywhere, and my participation in Sketching forums is an extremely rare occurrence. Turns out that a Sky at Night staff writer saw one of my online sketch albums and gave the Editor a heads-up.
Gotta love Serendipity!

REC
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/20/10

Loc: NC
Re: Another poll -- what do you do for a living? new [Re: Carol L]
      #5884213 - 05/25/13 03:35 PM

Cool story Carol!

I was at the NEAF show last month and Sky at Night had a booth there. I stopped by and picked up a couple of copies, like the way the magazine it was laid out. Leafing through it I came across an article you wrote and a similar photo of you. I scratched my head and said, hold on, I know that gal from CN's. She don't live in the UK but in the mid-west? Then I saw your last name and said, well she must write for them.

You just now solved the mystery and it was just on a whim that I answered this post today, otherwise I wouldn't have read this:)

Bob

Carol L

Re: Another poll -- what do you do for a living? new [Re: REC]
      #5884579 - 05/25/13 07:33 PM

Quote:

Cool story Carol!

I was at the NEAF show last month and Sky at Night had a booth there. I stopped by and picked up a couple of copies, like the way the magazine it was laid out. Leafing through it I came across an article you wrote and a similar photo of you. I scratched my head and said, hold on, I know that gal from CN's. She don't live in the UK but in the mid-west? Then I saw your last name and said, well she must write for them.

You just now solved the mystery and it was just on a whim that I answered this post today, otherwise I wouldn't have read this:)

Bob

Glad the mystery's been solved, Bob.
I try to keep my head down and stay under the radar, but they found me anyway.

To expand a bit on the story, it was Will Gater who saw my sketches. He was a Staff Writer back then, but is now the magazine's 'Features Editor' and also does the Sky at Night Vodcast on YouTube. He was planning to write an article in the May 2009 issue which would feature 10 Hubble images. As an added point of interest, he wanted to include a sketch of each object so Readers would know what to expect when viewing them in the eyepiece.

He contacted me and included a list of the 10 objects, asking if I had sketches of them - and added that the magazine would pay me in exchange for permission to include them in his article (quick pinch to make sure I was awake). I had sketches of all 10 objects, and had sketched some of them more than once, using different telescopes and magnifications. So I sent Will a total of 17 sketches and let him choose the ones he thought would be most helpful.

Within a week, Graham Southorn sent me the job offer (and I gave myself another pinch ).

Back to the main thread topic:
I forgot to mention a few Temp jobs done throughout the years in a hotel chain, a medical facility, a retail store, and a Vet's office (they were just fill-ins for vacationing office staff).

star drop
Snowed In

Loc: Snow Plop, WNY
Re: Another poll -- what do you do for a living? new [Re: Carol L]
      #5884834 - 05/25/13 11:21 PM

I am a professional wife annoyer. My wife is a professional and I annoy her.

Lee.S

Reged: 07/04/11

Loc: New Mexico USA
Re: Another poll -- what do you do for a living? new [Re: star drop]
      #5884987 - 05/26/13 01:16 AM

Retired FOTS telecommunication fiber optic transmission system tech lll;before that journeyman gas fitter /journeyman plummer,before that equipment mechanic on wheat harvest, farm hand, ranch hand maintenance at oil refinery(Pipe fitter instrument fitter and sometimes electrician's helper,all outside under the stars.....

jpcannavo
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 02/21/05

Loc: Long Island New York
Re: Another poll -- what do you do for a living? new [Re: Silver Bear]
      #5885207 - 05/26/13 07:55 AM

... and one in a long list of "could use your services" comments!

Joe

Dave L

Reged: 10/22/09

Loc: Chatsworth, California
      #5885531 - 05/26/13 12:41 PM

I am a retired teacher. I taught history for 36 years.

David Castillo
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/09/06

Loc: Carmel Valley, Ca
Re: Another poll -- what do you do for a living? new [Re: Dave L]
      #5885714 - 05/26/13 02:45 PM

I'm a retired CT/MRI tech. I worked in medical imaging for over 40 years and left the medical scene when medicine devolved into a corporate entity. Now my nights are spent enjoying the stars rather than being on-call, and my days are spent caring for healthy plants instead of unhealthy patients. I sure appreciate the fact that I can stay up real late and sleep in late- no more hauling my tired, sleep deprived carcass to work.
-----
Dave

mountain monk
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Grand Teton National Park
Re: Another poll -- what do you do for a living? new [Re: David Castillo]
      #5886448 - 05/27/13 12:50 AM

Carol: Well, that's a heart warming story!

Dark skies.

Jack

Carol L

Re: Another poll -- what do you do for a living? new [Re: mountain monk]
      #5887058 - 05/27/13 12:52 PM

Thanks, Jack!

unleaded55

Reged: 09/18/07

#5887254 - 05/27/13 02:45 PM

I have not posted in a long time, but the question intrigued me.
Over the many years, I am that perpetual kid, always asking, "why?"
'68 - '73 In country Viet Nam boat commander
'75 - married my love of life
'80 - Ph.D in electrical engineering and started work for major electronics firm; became interested in the night sky while laying on my back in Haifa, Israel
'93 - started work for telecommunications company; taught at community college in astronomy and recruited many to be amateur astronomers
'05 - retired and worked as consultant; traveled with scope and performed street demos for showing the night sky to any passerby's.
'05 - started teaching astronomy and doing outreach to state parks
'10 - started current job as Enterprise Architect for major retailer and still teaching to the public as freely as the open night skies permit.
Hoping to retire once my youngest gets her Ph.D.

jhayes_tucson
sage

Reged: 08/26/12

Loc: Bend, OR
      #5888271 - 05/28/13 01:46 AM

What a nice way to meet CN folks. For what it’s worth, here is my story…

• I got interested in astronomy and telescopes in the 7th grade.
• Built an 8" telescope in 8th grade
• Built a 12.5" Newtonian/Cassegrain as a junior in high school.
• Received a B.S. in Physics and Astronomy at the University of Arizona.
• Studied Optics at the College of Optical Sciences (OSC) at the University of Arizona.
• Received M.S and Ph.D. in Optics. Built another 8” Newtonian-Cassegrain in the OSC optical shop—just for fun.
• Participated in starting WYKO Corporation, a manufacturer of advanced phase shifting optical metrology equipment, and became one of two owners by the time the company was acquired 15 years later.
• While at WYKO, I led product development teams to develop numerous interferometric based metrology systems as well as an atomic force microscope system, and numerous disk drive component test systems. Served as of V.P. engineering and new products, and corporate board member.
• Spent a couple of years as a research professor at OSC working on vibration insensitive interferometric testing methods.
• Co-founded 4D Technology Corporation to commercialize dynamic interferometer technology, which was ultimately used to test aerospace and large astronomical optics. Among the more interesting applications: We delivered numerous systems to the UA mirror laboratory for testing 8-m primary mirrors and to NASA contractors for testing components for the James W. Webb space telescope (JWST.) The HiRise orbiter optics were measured using our equipment and I was fortunate see some of the equipment in the test chamber during fabrication.
• Served as president of 4D Technology (5 years) and I am still a current board member.
• Served on IPT-II advisory panel and PIT team to advise NASA on optical testing issues for JWST.
• Along the way, I’ve written a lot of papers, articles, and received about a dozen patents.
• I’ve been an active pilot for over 20 years with ATP, instructor, and multiple jet type ratings and I regularly fly aerobatics for fun. Along the way, I started a couple of airplane owner groups and managed their websites and meetings. I still occasionally write for various aviation magazines.

It was a blast but I finally “retired" so I have a little more time to fool around with all my old telescopes that have been lying around since grade school, high school, and grad school. I am currently working on designing and building a new mount for all of them. And…after all that engineering education and experience, I hope that I can produce something that looks as least half as nice as some of the projects I’ve seen here on CN! I'll post some pix when I get further along...

John

audioaficionado
professor emeritus

Reged: 05/24/12

Loc: Medford, Orygun, USA
Re: Another poll -- what do you do for a living? new [Re: unleaded55]
      #5888281 - 05/28/13 01:54 AM

I'm a jack of all trades and master of none. Astronomy and science interests proceeded any working situations and none of them connected me to the hobby.

I was an electrician in the US Navy '72-76.
Construction till the mid 80s.
Worked in circuit board manufacturing for 15 years. Plating line worker, lab tech, CAM operator tooling the customer data into usable artwork and CNC files, process engineer. Not in that order.
Electronics tech for a few years till 2007.
Went to Oregon Institute of Technology and got a BS in respiratory care 2010.

Still scrubbing toilets part time for $15k/yr at a local hospital.
Have yet to use my degree. Better use it soon as my 60k loan is coming due next year.
Don't think I'll ever be able to retire. Heck I'm semi-retired right now LOL.

Wish I'd made better career decisions when I was younger. Turns out I like college and do very well. Who knew LOL. I could have been a scientist had I put my mind to it 40 years ago. I've always loved science since I was a little kid.

At the present I live in a very nice area of the county (Rogue River Valley) where people spend $$$$ to take vacations here or $$$,$$$ to move here. Plenty of dark skies within an hour of town. Blue is 30min away. Yellow 15 minutes. Looking forward to this summer's astro camping expeditions I have planned now that I finally have a telescope. Hope to make it to a regional star party this summer also.

vsteblina
sage

Reged: 11/05/07

Loc: Wenatchee, Washington
Re: Another poll -- what do you do for a living? new [Re: audioaficionado]
      #5888853 - 05/28/13 12:18 PM

We were rather poor when I was growing up and my parents made the rule....no toys unless they were educational in nature.

So that's how I got my first 60mm refractor and the view of Saturn one morning from the driveway was the hook. Later on I ground two mirrors and constructed a really bad mount...this was before John Dobson.

The interest in Astronomy, however, was not enough to get me through Calculus as a freshman and I had to pick another major. She suggested Forestry since Astronomers had observatories on mountain peaks and Foresters had lookouts. Close enough.

Then I had to take Calculus again in the following year, but by that time the class was much easier!!

The first ten years were a blast. Laying out timber sales throughout the west. Mapping Giant Sequoia's in the back-country of Sequoia National Park, writing the St. Joe Wild and Scenic River Plan, developing a recreation carrying capacity for Lake Mohave outside of Las Vegas, etc.

AND then I took a job as an economist in Forest Planning for the Forest Service. It was running linear programming models and doing economic analysis for 15 years. An office job working for the Forest Service!!! UGH.

For the last ten years I oversaw the Recreation, Wilderness, and Trails Program for a 4 million acre National Forest. Now that was a lot more fun. Lots of budget meetings and other nonsense, but I got to get out of the office whenever I pleased.

Best moment was backpacking high in the Alpine Lakes Wilderness when a civilian came up and informed us that he was "playing hookey from work" and what could be better that that??? We did not have the heart to tell him that working in the Wilderness was better than that.

The first ten and last ten years were great. Should have skipped the 15 years in the middle.

Been retired for six years now. This is a pretty good gig.

tim57064
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 08/23/12

Loc: Southeast South Dakota,USA
Re: Another poll -- what do you do for a living? new [Re: vsteblina]
      #5889112 - 05/28/13 02:49 PM

I am retired/disabled veteran. Served in the army,95b, straight out of high school.After 3 year stint,joined the reserves,95c30, til' 93'. Have been a landscaper,worked for a cleaning business,delivered pizzas, construction contractor/remodeler. Before being forced into retirement, because of medical reasons, Apartment management/maintenance for 200 units, a 24-7 job. Not one job held had anything to do with my pursuits in astronomy. Now a grandfather of 12,three boys and nine girls.

Setre

Reged: 08/24/12

Loc: Nashville, TN
Re: Another poll -- what do you do for a living? new [Re: tim57064]
      #5889607 - 05/28/13 07:33 PM

I work as a Lighting Technician on music videos, commercials, and the occasional TV show.

Feidb
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 10/09/09

Loc: Nevada
Re: Another poll -- what do you do for a living? new [Re: Setre]
      #5889915 - 05/28/13 10:43 PM

Watered a golf course at night, was a typewriter repairman, played in a rock band, joined the Air Force (AGE Ranger), got out and became a TV repairman, played in another rock band, rejoined the Air Force as an AGE Ranger (again), retired with 24 years, became a technical writer/trainer in a rubber extrusion factory, got hired directly as their maintenance planner, moved on as a maintenance planner in a wet corn mill, worked as a technical writer for the maintenance software at a city water district, changed to an educational technologist (technical writer) for a military contractor and now am a medical biller. None have a thing to do with astrominny.

MRNUTTY
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/22/11

Loc: Mendon, MA
Re: Another poll -- what do you do for a living? new [Re: Feidb]
      #5890597 - 05/29/13 11:49 AM

35 years as a large computer systems HW/SW engineer and architect; Minicomputers, Storage arrays, Shared Memory Multiprocessors. Sometime musician.

I've always been interested in space, cosmology, sci-fi. Decided it was time to take a first hand look.

stmguy
sage

Reged: 10/11/12

Loc: Western NH
      #5890695 - 05/29/13 12:59 PM

Since college where I got an AS degree in automotive services I've had many different jobs:
Worked on big Iron after college , Caterpillar D9 bulldozers that kind of stuff
Automotive mechanic
Production line technician in manufacturing
Shipping / Receiving supervisor distribution center
Network / Systems Administrator
Norm

roscoe
curmudgeon

Re: Another poll -- what do you do for a living? new [Re: stmguy]
      #5891469 - 05/29/13 10:27 PM

Well, this would be rather harder to graph than age ranges, but it would be interesting to see how astronomers' employment breaks down..... for instance, while several folks have carpentry or mechanics in their past, a quick tally is that out of 170 responders, there are only six of us (two carpenters, one electrician, one mechanic, one excavator, one sawyer) who have made the 'trades' our life's work, while there are at least 50 who work with computers/programming..... the 4% shown here being quite different than the info I just found that says 14% of the US labor force is in the construction industry.
Curious, isn't it, who is drawn to astronomy.....
Russ

steveyo

Reged: 03/13/12

Loc: Upstate NY
      #5891974 - 05/30/13 08:44 AM

I have a new one for the thread. I was a computer programmer/analyst from 1984-2003, but now I'm - da da DA! -
the Delmar Dog Butler.

Myself and my employee poop-scoop about 90 backyards/week.

And I wrote an incredibly awesome Access/VBA/Word record-keeping and billing system, because, hey, I love programming, and nothing off the shelf fit my business well enough.

I'm 50. I've always been interested in astronomy, saw Saturn in a Sears 60mm refractor in the 70's sometime, didn't own a telescope until 2012.

jwheel
professor emeritus

Reged: 01/23/08

Loc: Fort Davis TX
Re: Another poll -- what do you do for a living? new [Re: steveyo]
      #5892136 - 05/30/13 10:46 AM

I have been interested in astronomy and space ever since I can remember. My dream job was to work at an observatory in any capacity. After some sidetracks and pitfalls I fulfilled my dream in Nov. 1999. Since then, I have been employed at the University of Texas McDonald Observatory conducting public programs. It was a big decision to move away from my friends and family but personally I have no regrets.

Joe Wheelock

GOLGO13
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/05/05

Loc: St. Louis area
Re: Another poll -- what do you do for a living? new [Re: jwheel]
      #5893916 - 05/31/13 10:04 AM

I am a systems engineer (mostly computer/web stuff). It's the most boring thing I have done in my life. But it does support this hobby and my family.

If I had to do it over again I'd be a interpretive forest ranger or something I actually enjoy.

audioaficionado
professor emeritus

Re: Another poll -- what do you do for a living? new [Re: GOLGO13]
      #5894167 - 05/31/13 12:17 PM

Quote:

I am a systems engineer (mostly computer/web stuff). It's the most boring thing I have done in my life. But it does support this hobby and my family.

If I had to do it over again I'd be a interpretive forest ranger or something I actually enjoy.

I hear you. According to an extensive psychological test I took when I was a young adult, the career choices best suited to me would have been the geology and/or forestry sciences.

When you enjoy what you do, it's not work.

csrlice12
Postmaster

#5894171 - 05/31/13 12:19 PM

be thankful that I have today, and hopeful that I'll have tomorrow......

mich_al
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/10/09

Loc: Rural central lower Michigan ...
      #5894311 - 05/31/13 01:34 PM

Quote:

Yep! I spent most of my career developing computer systems. The last 10 years where BORING!!! Early in my career I lived and breathed the stuff and couldn't get enough. Spending 40+ hrs a week with a bunch of engineers ain't what's happening!

Seldom
professor emeritus

Reged: 08/05/12

Loc: N of Cedar City Light Dome
      #5894488 - 05/31/13 03:04 PM

Quote:

Will you be able to afford to retire from a job you actually enjoy?

GOLGO13
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/05/05

Loc: St. Louis area
      #5894518 - 05/31/13 03:16 PM

It's hard to go back now. A lot of the jobs I would enjoy pay 50-60% less. That would be quite a lifestyle adjustment. But had I started out that way I think I would have been OK. Then again, I may have been complaining about not getting paid enough

audioaficionado
professor emeritus

#5894631 - 05/31/13 04:21 PM

I've survived on $10k-$25k jobs all my life. Retirement isn't an option unless my very modest biweekly investments in Power-Ball and Mega-millions pay off LOL.

amicus sidera
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/14/11

Loc: East of the Sun, West of the M...
      #5894663 - 05/31/13 04:41 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Much of the world lives on less than USD $2.00/day; not well at all, but they live. It's all a matter of what luxuries one is willing to give up. Indeed, it's about defining luxury in the first place... a tiny house, an old but serviceable car, food, clean running water and fairly meager disposable income combined with really, really dark skies would likely suffice for many of us Western astronomers in our later years.

Most of the world would consider such accommodations palatial.

contrailmaker
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 01/02/09

Re: Another poll -- what do you do for a living? new [Re: amicus sidera]
      #5894835 - 05/31/13 06:36 PM

Since graduating from college I have worked as a flight test engineer, engineering test pilot and now air line pilot for a legacy carrier.

Contrailmaker

roscoe
curmudgeon

#5894844 - 05/31/13 06:43 PM

Quote:

It's a good thing I enjoy being a country carpenter, because in a lower-income area like that where I live, earning enough to save for retirement isn't an option....
R

okieav8r
I'd rather be flying!

Reged: 03/01/09

Loc: Oklahoma!
      #5894903 - 05/31/13 07:22 PM

I'm a former charter and corporate pilot. Now I work for the Air Force as an analyst.

microstar
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 01/05/08

Loc: Canada
      #5894945 - 05/31/13 07:59 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I count my blessings that I have one of those jobs. As I said in an earlier post, I'm a professor at a small university in a correspondingly small city (we live 10 miles out of town and I still have a Bortle 4 Green backyard).

I didn't set out to follow this career path, but I was interested in science from early childhood, and in the planets in particular, and built a 6" reflector when I was 15 - taking the long bus ride downtown once a week to grind the mirror. When high school ended it was either go to university or work in construction like my dad, and university was the easier path (I was pretty clear on that after working summers laying floors, framing and cribbing basements - but those skills sure came in handy when I built the observatory). When I finished university I didn't plan to go to grad school, but I got a job in a government research lab and liked it, but again knew I didn't want to work for the stifling Federal government for the rest of my life so I moved on to grad school. After my PhD I got to travel the country working in various labs on short-term funds, but eventually I wanted to settle in one place (and actually start making money). I did eventually get a job at a university as a microbiologist and despite the late start (I didn't start making more than a graduate-student-level wage until I was in my mid-thirties) I now have mostly caught up to my peers that started building equity in their early 20s. I work in a job that epitomizes life-long learning. I get to follow my curiosity in my work and my hobby (and I often start my lectures by talking about an astrophoto I took). I'm surrounded by young enquiring minds that are excited about life and learning - and I'm positive that that keeps me feeling more engaged with life. My wife is also a professor. Life is good and I feel very lucky.
...Keith

la200o
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/09/08

Loc: SE Michigan, USA
      #5895027 - 05/31/13 08:59 PM

College administrator with Ph. D. in a non-science field.

Bill

JMW
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 02/11/07

Loc: Nevada
Re: Another poll -- what do you do for a living? new [Re: la200o]
      #5895134 - 05/31/13 09:56 PM

Network operations for university network for last 24 years. Spend of lot of time focused on fiber optic infrastructure so it's sort of related to astronomy. I love designing and improving fiber optic plant. It will be around for a lot more years than any firewall, router or switch that I manage. I would love to have 10 gigabit networking at my house. Got my start here while working on my masters in computer science. I just never left.

Orion58
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 10/28/11

Loc: Southern Wisconsin
      #5898464 - 06/02/13 08:40 PM

Retired (civil engineering technician for 34 years) about two years ago. I have been interested in astronomy for as long as I can remember and now I finally have sufficient time to devote to the hobby.

Paul Muller

Reged: 03/07/12

Loc: Alexandria, VA
Re: Another poll -- what do you do for a living? new [Re: Orion58]
      #5899579 - 06/03/13 12:42 PM

I'm an Active Duty Air Force Officer; my official job title is physicist. I've done a lot of work in sensor applications and nuclear treaty monitoring. My job doesn't deal with astronomy, but it's something I have been interested in since I was young and used my dad's old Tasco reflector. Thankfully, military service provides quite well and allows me to pursue my hobbies.

Dennis Kuefner

Reged: 05/30/13

Loc: South Central Minnesota, USA
      #5908651 - 06/07/13 07:43 PM

I am currently retired, but worked as an industrial chemist, and in the printing ink industry. Developed inks for high speed publications.

shawnhar
Post Laureate

Reged: 06/25/10

Loc: Knoxville, TN
Re: Another poll -- what do you do for a living? new [Re: Dennis Kuefner]
      #5908763 - 06/07/13 08:56 PM

Medical Appeals Reviewer for a Managed Care Orginization, the last 5 years, before that, if it didn't require a degree or lots of experience I've pretty much done it. Everything from being a boiler maker's apprentice, framing houses, roadie for big name bands, door to door sales, dishwasher, prep cook, furniture salesman, landscaping, tech support manager for smart phones, warehouse grunt, almost every fast food joint you can name, laying concrete, corporate trainer, day laborer, painter, the list goes on... Still don't know what I want to do for a living but I know stock options and a 401k match start to look real good at 41.
None of those had any influence on my astronomy interest, that only started 3 years ago when my wife gave me a Sky and Telescope as a stocking suffer, this was right around the time I decided I would never read another work of fiction after reading "The Body Farm" by Dr. Bill Bass.

jmandell
sage

Reged: 06/15/11

#5908841 - 06/07/13 09:44 PM

Homework.

omahaastro
sage

Reged: 08/30/06

Loc: Omaha, NE
Re: Another poll -- what do you do for a living? new [Re: jmandell]
      #5910597 - 06/08/13 11:20 PM

Software engineer here... seems like there are quite a few IT people in the hobby.

Paul Lennous
sage

Reged: 02/05/04

Loc: Austin, TX
Re: Another poll -- what do you do for a living? new [Re: omahaastro]
      #5912099 - 06/09/13 09:39 PM

Electrical engineer for the past 15 years.

DaemonGPF
Redonkulous

Reged: 03/22/08

Loc: Aurora Colorado
Re: Another poll -- what do you do for a living? new [Re: Paul Lennous]
      #5912227 - 06/09/13 10:52 PM

Interesting read! Now I understand what is wrong with most of us on here.. I.T. professions! LOL

Currently I manage and oversee software development and engineering teams as well as teams of DBAs. I deal with outsource vendor management, contracts, SLAs, procurement, and other aspects as well.

Prior to that I spent many years managing network operations and data centers, facilities management, and CALEA for communications companies.

Earlier on I did advanced tech support for broadband communications mediums when they started to roll out (DOCSIS, Satellite, DSL), alpha testing, troubleshooting documentation.

Starting out I worked for the communications squadron for the Air Force as a private contractor, supervising switchboard operations after hours and weekends, provided WAN/LAN/DSN support.

On the side I design, construct, and program custom arcade machines - 10 yrs., and teach martial arts - 21 yrs.

None of which pulled me in to astronomy or astrophotography. That interest lit up independently when we lived in Athens Greece as Halley's Comet came through.

David Knisely
Postmaster

Reged: 04/19/04

Loc: southeastern Nebraska
      #5912428 - 06/10/13 03:59 AM

I work with the developmentally disabled at a facility near my home. It doesn't have much to do with Astronomy, but it has its own rewards.

auriga
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 03/02/06

#5915437 - 06/11/13 04:57 PM

I am a retired professor, researcher, business consultant and government executive. All have been very interesing and challenging. My main identification is as a social scientist, interested in psychological phenomena on the world scene. I’m currently enmeshed in writing a book on that subject. A second major interest has been the livability of cities. I’ve been interested in observational astronomy since the age of ten. I joined the Junior Astronomy Club at the Hayden Planetarium in Manhattan at age 12.
Bill

ZeusB

Reged: 01/25/13

Loc: Chicago
      #5921530 - 06/15/13 12:15 AM

I was a police officer for 37 years, retired as a patrol commander. I was sort of like the Arthur Dietrich of the department. Always was interested in astronomy. In high school I was the vice-president of the astronomy club - and there were only two of us.

Now I have a part time job working security for two professional sports venues, and it's a gas.

Tora

Loc: Illinois
Re: Another poll -- what do you do for a living? new [Re: ZeusB]
      #5922017 - 06/15/13 10:50 AM

Quote:

I was a police officer for 37 years, retired as a patrol commander. I was sort of like the Arthur Dietrich of the department. Always was interested in astronomy. In high school I was the vice-president of the astronomy club - and there were only two of us.

Now I have a part time job working security for two professional sports venues, and it's a gas.

Dietrich was my favorite character on that show!
Are you former CPD (or one of the 'burbs')?

Dan

Binojunky
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/25/10

Re: Another poll -- what do you do for a living? new [Re: Tora]
      #5922107 - 06/15/13 11:34 AM

Well I started working life as a aprentice auto mechanic at the tender age of 15 yrs in the UK, then some years in the Army followed by cold war years in the RAF, fixing aircraft, chasing the opposite sex, smoking and getting drunk (ahhh happy days)then worked as a industrial mechanic before coming to Canada,since then I have earned my living in the same field, however Ontario isn,t what it was and my last job came abruptly to an end when some j##k arrived as the next plant manager and decided to restructure the place,being 63 yrs old and tired of commuting and long hours (15hr work days) I listened to my doctors advice and took the summer off, kinda liked it and never went back to work, to be honest manufacturing is drowning in its own ######## these days, what manufacturing that left anyway, their was a time you would have a word with the boss or foreman and it would be enough to get you a try out, now?? well you get the picture, DA.

robininni
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 04/18/11

Loc: Stephenville, TX
Re: Another poll -- what do you do for a living? new [Re: Binojunky]
      #5923140 - 06/16/13 01:54 AM

Well let me be the first to admit I'm a dentist! I know some you "IT" guys are really dentists too and just don't want to come clean. There couldn't possibly be that many computer geeks on here, right?

Ouranos
professor emeritus

Reged: 11/07/06

Re: Another poll -- what do you do for a living? new [Re: robininni]
      #5924715 - 06/17/13 12:34 AM

Pastor for 30 years. Grew up in an Air Force home seven miles from the bombing range for England Air Force Base (Claiborne). Always looking up. Fascinating Post.

ZeusB

Reged: 01/25/13

Loc: Chicago
      #5927835 - 06/18/13 04:02 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Dietrich was my favorite character on that show!
Are you former CPD (or one of the 'burbs')?

Dan

I was with Tinley Park for 33 years.

ireneusz
journeyman

Reged: 03/10/11

Loc: usa, nj
      #5927912 - 06/18/13 04:48 PM

Mechanical Engineer.

Tora

Re: Another poll -- what do you do for a living? new [Re: ZeusB]
      #5929627 - 06/19/13 04:24 PM

Quote:

I was with Tinley Park for 33 years.

I just retired about a month ago as a Lt. with the state after 27+ years. I have been to/through Tinley a few times during my work. I really like the "transition" to retirement and have more time to be out under the stars. I live in Western Illinois on several acres under a green/yellow sky. I can see the milky way clearly on most nights and love living in the country. I get the best of both worlds as I'm within 15 minutes of a town and Super WalMart. What else can one ask?

Jim T

Reged: 12/15/10

Loc: MO
      #5930377 - 06/19/13 11:54 PM

Lubrication Sales Engineer for a major oil company for the past 16 yrs. My degree was in finance ('81), after pulling out of engineering in college. Loved the stars (and dinosaurs) in grade school, and learned most constellations and several dozens of star names while saving up $ for a 4.25" Edmund. Left that scope a few years later for girls and beer and cars. The bug came back in mid-life BIG TIME. Perhaps Hyakutake had something to do with that, but just as much the passing of my father.

Reading these posts reminds me of the variety of those "chosen" in the movie "Close Encounters of the Third Kind".

BillShort

Loc: Corner Brook, Newfoundland,Can...
Re: Another poll -- what do you do for a living? new [Re: Jim T]
      #5930644 - 06/20/13 05:58 AM

I was a welder in a paper mill for 35 years,now retired,I was in the U.S. only five times,each time to attend Stellafane. Bill Short

lamplight
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/18/12

Loc: western MA, U.S.
Re: Another poll -- what do you do for a living? new [Re: BillShort]
      #5931130 - 06/20/13 11:31 AM

Astronomy is nice because its kind of spiritual which appeals to my artist/musician, and kind of sciencey which appeals to my logical part thats hungry to learn.

I got into computers and I.T. Accidentally while in college for fine art. I changed majors then dropped out. Long story. I think the immensity of the complexity is what grabbed my interest in IT and also astronomy. I worked as a network engineer for 15 or so years and started my own small company in 05'. Last year I bought a linux based web hosting company and am hoping to grow its modest income enough to eliminate the IT work entirely which will give me freedom to move anywhere I want. You can see where I'm going with this.. -orange zone dude.

I didn't REALLY look up till recently (42)

mconnelley
sage

Reged: 03/14/06

Loc: Hilo, HI
Re: Another poll -- what do you do for a living? new [Re: lamplight]
      #5932559 - 06/21/13 06:55 AM

Hello:

I do astronomy for a living. Yup, they actually pay me to do this! My research field is near-IR spectroscopic variability of embedded young stars. Most of my time is spent on observatory support duties, such as testing and developing instrumentation, improving the telescope image quality, and helping our observers. Since I work for one of the observatories on Mauna Kea, a side benefit is that our club observing site is one of the best sites in the world.

Cheers
Mike

Chaz659
sage

Reged: 12/08/12

Loc: Islip, NY
Re: Another poll -- what do you do for a living? new [Re: mconnelley]
      #5933098 - 06/21/13 02:17 PM

So far....bartender followed in short order by Electronics Technician aboard the nuclear submarine, SSBN 659, the Will Rogers. (Gold Crew). Next up,Case Manager, Substance Abuse Counselor, and now, hopefully the last career, I work in the emergency and oil spill response industry, primarily the big one's. The Gulf spill, Athos 1, DBL 152, Sandy Response, Katrina Response, Haiti Response, etc.

Tempe

Reged: 08/08/11

Loc: Moscow, Russia
Re: Another poll -- what do you do for a living? new [Re: Chaz659]
      #5933629 - 06/21/13 08:20 PM

Lawyer (university, civil law, 5 years,), from Russia, 36 years old, amateur astronomer from my teen years, now translator (English), finally, in aerospace industry. Made my dream. Anchors aweigh)

mark379
sage

Reged: 02/07/09

Loc: New Jersey
      #5937673 - 06/24/13 09:41 AM

Hello,
I work as a Lab tech in the Geoscience Dept at New Jersey City University. I'm age 40.
I've always been torn between Earth and Space sciences, Geology is my field, but Astronomy has always been a hobby/ interest for me. I've thought about going for a advanced degree in Planetary Geology at times if I can find a way to afford it.

loudupe

Reged: 06/24/13

Loc: San Diego, CA
Re: Another poll -- what do you do for a living? new [Re: mark379]
      #5938942 - 06/24/13 11:47 PM

Commercial aircraft mechanic. Boeing & Airbus & such.

GreenGal

Reged: 05/10/13

Re: Another poll -- what do you do for a living? new [Re: loudupe]
      #5943321 - 06/27/13 03:42 PM

First grade teacher with Master's Degree in Education. I inspire the future generations! When I teach my solar system unit the children eat it up like candy!

csrlice12
Postmaster

Re: Another poll -- what do you do for a living? new [Re: GreenGal]
      #5943339 - 06/27/13 03:55 PM

Throw money at the scope shop cash register........

NicolasKL

Reged: 01/15/13

Loc: Reno, NV
      #5943385 - 06/27/13 04:27 PM

Geologist in the gold and silver industry since i graduated from college 7 years ago.

Taylor
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Another poll -- what do you do for a living? new [Re: auriga]
      #5943581 - 06/27/13 06:24 PM

Quote:

I am a retired professor, researcher, business consultant and government executive. All have been very interesing and challenging. My main identification is as a social scientist, interested in psychological phenomena on the world scene. I’m currently enmeshed in writing a book on that subject. A second major interest has been the livability of cities. I’ve been interested in observational astronomy since the age of ten. I joined the Junior Astronomy Club at the Hayden Planetarium in Manhattan at age 12.
Bill

I would be very interested to hear your take on the "livability of cities."
I lived in DC for 3 years while training for my current career.
I didn't consider it livable by any means. Being crammed in a tiny 1 bedroom apartment with no money as it was all spent on cost of living, that wasn't living to me. Now I'm building a house on an acre just outside Tulsa, OK, far more livable in my opinion.

mtnmedic
Late for dinner

Reged: 11/09/04

Loc: Antelope, Oregon
      #5944057 - 06/28/13 12:11 AM

Career Paramedic ambulanceman and volunteer firefighter. Fire Chief of a small volunteer city fire department. I've been involved with fire-rescue/public safety and emergency medical services since 1979.

Edited by mtnmedic (06/28/13 12:12 AM)

AstroDan77

Reged: 05/15/13

Loc: New Hampshire
Re: Another poll -- what do you do for a living? new [Re: mtnmedic]
      #5944112 - 06/28/13 01:03 AM

Nuclear Security AKA I'm bored all night, every night......

jrbarnett
Eyepiece Hooligan

Re: Another poll -- what do you do for a living? new [Re: AstroDan77]
      #5945795 - 06/28/13 11:16 PM

That is one job that is is *good* to be bored while doing. The alternative isn't good for anyone.

- Jim

kfrederick
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 02/01/08

#5946983 - 06/29/13 06:03 PM

Turn grass into milk or the cows do

DJohnson

Reged: 03/04/13

Loc: Glendale Arizona
Re: Another poll -- what do you do for a living? new [Re: kfrederick]
      #5947560 - 06/30/13 04:57 AM

Self employed. I own a game store, not the kind that sells video games, but the kind that does Board Games, Card games and Miniatures games.

Howie Glatter
Vendor

Reged: 07/04/06

Re: Another poll -- what do you do for a living? new [Re: kfrederick]
      #5947594 - 06/30/13 06:47 AM

Reality tester.

jimichelle

Reged: 07/01/13

Re: Another poll -- what do you do for a living? new [Re: Howie Glatter]
      #5949427 - 07/01/13 10:46 AM

My wife and I are CPAs. Probably won't be doing too much late night observing leading up to April 15th each year...

Chandler2112
journeyman

Reged: 04/25/13

Re: Another poll -- what do you do for a living? new [Re: jimichelle]
      #5966877 - 07/12/13 06:22 AM

Refractive eye surgeon... it's a great job and eye like it.

Geo31
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 01/28/13

Loc: Kingwood, TX
Re: Another poll -- what do you do for a living? new [Re: Chandler2112]
      #5966936 - 07/12/13 08:21 AM

Beancounter

csrlice12
Postmaster

Re: Another poll -- what do you do for a living? new [Re: Geo31]
      #5967029 - 07/12/13 09:31 AM

Wake up and be glad I did?

pdxmoon
professor emeritus

Reged: 06/27/13

Loc: Oregon
      #5968045 - 07/12/13 08:14 PM

Currently a middle school drama teacher and adjunct professor. Previously an actor, then a writer and producer for television-- that glowing thing that others watch at night whilst we star gaze.

BPO
sage

Reged: 02/23/10

Loc: South Island, NZ
Re: Another poll -- what do you do for a living? new [Re: pdxmoon]
      #5968127 - 07/12/13 09:31 PM

Self-employed astronaut.

Geo31
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 01/28/13

Loc: Kingwood, TX
Re: Another poll -- what do you do for a living? new [Re: pdxmoon]
      #5968818 - 07/13/13 10:53 AM

Quote:

Currently a middle school drama teacher...

I wouldn't think middle schoolers would need to be taught drama - they are so full of it.

Bernie Poskus

Reged: 05/22/10

Loc: Broomfield, Colorado
      #5969136 - 07/13/13 03:00 PM

I've been an attorney for 35 years, working primarily in the area of probate litigation. It has no connection to my hobbies.

I have been a ham radio operator since I was 16. Although I believe I am doing the work I was born to do, with hobbies such as ham radio and astronomy, I wonder whether I should have been an engineer. My father was a physician, and at the end of his career, he said that he should have been an engineer.

Bernie Poskus

Reged: 05/22/10

Loc: Broomfield, Colorado
Re: Another poll -- what do you do for a living? new [Re: chaoscosmos]
      #5969146 - 07/13/13 03:04 PM

Quote:

I've always enjoyed science and nature and delving into the mysteries of the universe. Loved reading popular science books by Isaac Asimov.

Chaoscosmos, I have always loved Asimov's writing, in particular, his Foundation Trilogy (one of the scifi classics). I also have loved Arthur C. Clarke and got to meet him in college (to this day, a real thrill for me to have gotten to do that).

llanitedave
Humble Megalomaniac

Reged: 09/26/05

Loc: Amargosa Valley, NV, USA
Re: Another poll -- what do you do for a living? new [Re: Bernie Poskus]
      #5970828 - 07/14/13 05:38 PM

I was a child of Apollo, fascinated by rockets, stars, planets and moons. When I joined the Navy in 1974 it was to work with Poseidon missiles, my thinking being that I could translate my training into some type of rocketry work after my discharge. It was not to be, and the self-employed missile-repair shop owner on 5th and Main didn't seem to have much of a future.

So I used my GI bill, moved to Austin and got a degree in Geology. It has a lot of the same "feel" that astronomy does, being so intimately involved with deep time and evolutionary origins. I spent many years working on Yucca Mountain in Nevada, investigating the place for nuclear waste storage. It would have been interesting seeing some of the spent fuel rods from my old submarine making their way down into the tunnels. Since then I've investigated energy storage in Iowa, aquifer geometry in Death Valley, and currently I'm working on establishing a new gold mine near Eureka, NV. I doubt that I'd be much good doing anything else. But I like what I do, so I'm fine with it.

ivancast09

Reged: 02/23/13

Re: Another poll -- what do you do for a living? new [Re: llanitedave]
      #5973214 - 07/15/13 10:05 PM

I am an electrician. Resedential and commercial. I enjoy its not as labor intensive as other trades and everyone needs and wants power. Especially to power some big fancy telescopes.

Turkinolith

Reged: 07/08/13

Loc: Sunnyvale CA
Re: Another poll -- what do you do for a living? new [Re: ivancast09]
      #5973534 - 07/16/13 03:24 AM

Video game designer.
I spend my days coming up with things for players to hit with virtual swords and spells.

jag767
professor emeritus

Reged: 06/20/13

Loc: Massapequa, NY
Re: Another poll -- what do you do for a living? new [Re: Turkinolith]
      #5973681 - 07/16/13 08:01 AM

I own a couple of small gyms. Hoping to own a couple more and grow out of state next year.

starquake
sage

Loc: Nádasdladány
Re: Another poll -- what do you do for a living? new [Re: jag767]
      #5974465 - 07/16/13 03:59 PM

I'm a starfleet commander.

precaud
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 12/05/12

Loc: north central New Mexico
Re: Another poll -- what do you do for a living? new [Re: starquake]
      #5975647 - 07/17/13 09:41 AM

I'm a designer/inventor of audio-related stuff (just got a patent approved on Monday!), and I refurbish and sell electronic test equipment.
http://www.linearz.com/

EJohnson

Reged: 11/01/09

Loc: Maine
Re: Another poll -- what do you do for a living? new [Re: precaud]
      #5975925 - 07/17/13 12:44 PM

In my first incarnation as an adult, I was a high school chemistry and physical sciences teacher. Ten years ago, I went back to school and am now a pharmacist. But what I really want to be is a visual observer with always clear nights and needing no sleep so I can enjoy the days too!

DavidNealMinnick
sage

Reged: 03/06/06

Re: Another poll -- what do you do for a living? new [Re: EJohnson]
      #5976866 - 07/17/13 09:38 PM

Quote:

...what I really want is... always clear nights and needing no sleep so I can enjoy the days too!

Amen.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | (show all)

Extra information
6 registered and 9 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  cildarith, panhard, tecmage 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 8430

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics