Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

General Astronomy >> General Observing and Astronomy

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
C_Moon
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 10/23/09

Loc: Beneath the arms of Cassiopeia
Re: The shortcomings of Astronomy as a Hobby new [Re: DG Aucoin]
      #5871960 - 05/19/13 04:54 PM

Quote:

It is pure joy, not stress relief.

Aren't they one in the same?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
philrod

Reged: 07/19/04

Loc: Fallon, Nevada
Re: The shortcomings of Astronomy as a Hobby new [Re: C_Moon]
      #5872064 - 05/19/13 05:50 PM

fire up the laptop & go to Cloudy nights or SkyTools or The Sky or Stellarium. Not necessarily in that order.

Phil

TV85 & SV102ED
DM4 & GM8
Lot's of Radians

GeneT
Ely Kid

Reged: 11/07/08

Loc: South Texas
      #5872372 - 05/19/13 08:16 PM

Quote:

What do you do when your hobby is so affected by weather?

We are a ship of fools. Cloudy weather, the jet stream, a full moon, too hot, or too cold--all things that can ruin a night of good seeing. However, for me, what it is all about is that night of good seeing that comes along once in awhile. Through my telescope, the universe connects with my imagination and takes me to places that I can can only dream about. When those nights occur, it is all worth while.

Feidb
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/09/09

Loc: Nevada
Re: The shortcomings of Astronomy as a Hobby new [Re: GeneT]
      #5872513 - 05/19/13 09:21 PM

Astronomy has been a lifelong passion. It's always close by regardless of the weather. Since my other hobbies include writing, I keep busy writing articles about astronomy for my web site, or editing the Observer's Challenge for the Las Vegas Astronomical Society when I'm not working on one of my novels. I also woodwork, garden, play and listen to music, and of course, write about those subjects.

Living in Las Vegas, I get my share of viewing nights, but sometimes, not as many as one might think. Astronomy is still at hand, especially since I'm sekiterry of the club and the AL coordinator.

The are no shortcomings of this hobby unless you make them shortcomings. The only issues I've ever run across are some of the people, and very few of them. As long as I avoid those people, which I do and have, this has been the greatest for me.

csrlice12
Postmaster

Reged: 05/22/12

Loc: Denver, CO
Re: The shortcomings of Astronomy as a Hobby new [Re: David Pavlich]
      #5872675 - 05/19/13 10:16 PM

Old man screams at clouds!

azure1961p
Postmaster

Reged: 01/17/09

Loc: USA
Re: The shortcomings of Astronomy as a Hobby new [Re: David Pavlich]
      #5872763 - 05/19/13 10:57 PM

I've got a lot of diverse interests so I just do something else. Since I work two jobs I don't have many free nights so the problem isn't chronic.

Pete

JayinUT
I'm not Sleepy

Reged: 09/19/08

Loc: Utah
Re: The shortcomings of Astronomy as a Hobby new [Re: azure1961p]
      #5872889 - 05/20/13 12:15 AM

Get involved in ATM projects! Those are great to do during bad weather or full moon. That's how I made my observing chair and I'm working on an eyepiece case and soon it will be time to build another dob with a sube, probably a 8 inch for my son as a surprise gift (he's 19).

edosaurusrex
sage

Reged: 01/30/07

Loc: Ft Worth, TX
Re: The shortcomings of Astronomy as a Hobby new [Re: JayinUT]
      #5872904 - 05/20/13 12:40 AM

This is harder to do as I get older, but when I get a clear night I don't waste it. It's those beautifully clear nights when you observe between the twilights that make the cloudy days easier to cope with.

Ed

Starlon
sage

Reged: 04/18/06

Loc: desert, USA
Re: The shortcomings of Astronomy as a Hobby new [Re: JayinUT]
      #5872954 - 05/20/13 01:17 AM

Well.. when the monsoons are raging or the haboobs are sandblasting cars and filling the air full of choking, blinding sand & dust..

ah, well, I have no problem getting into innumerable amounts of mischief

Just haunting CN can occupy hours of my time And yes, the birds and reading, music ! Rock & roll !

Qwickdraw
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/03/12

Loc: Ann Arbor, MI
Re: The shortcomings of Astronomy as a Hobby new [Re: Starlon]
      #5873139 - 05/20/13 06:42 AM

Atronomy isnt my only hobby but it is my favorite. Other interests take up any spare time such as RC gliders, gardening and sailing.

FirstSight
Duke of Deneb

Reged: 12/26/05

Loc: Raleigh, NC
Re: The shortcomings of Astronomy as a Hobby new [Re: csa/montana]
      #5873489 - 05/20/13 11:05 AM

Quote:

I don't use Astronomy as an escape; rather to me it's just a very enjoyable hobby. When I can't observe, I find plenty here on CN...

CN is that splendid observing site we all have where it is never cloudy, the transparency and seeing are always at least 9/10, and the temperature is always comfortable in shirtsleeves. AND - you're already here, no gear-hauling road trip necessary.

csrlice12
Postmaster

Reged: 05/22/12

Loc: Denver, CO
Re: The shortcomings of Astronomy as a Hobby new [Re: FirstSight]
      #5873542 - 05/20/13 11:38 AM

" I donno... maybe we'll just buy more eyepieces when we can't observe. The sheer weight of glass in our EP case will create a gravitational vortex, clearing the skies over our yards."

Nope, already tested that theory

C_Moon
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 10/23/09

Loc: Beneath the arms of Cassiopeia
Re: The shortcomings of Astronomy as a Hobby new [Re: Qwickdraw]
      #5873632 - 05/20/13 12:25 PM

Quote:

Atronomy isnt my only hobby but it is my favorite. Other interests take up any spare time such as RC gliders, gardening and sailing.

Actually, some of the comments reminded me of RC gliders, another hobby which I've dabbled in a bit. I found I far enjoyed flying the gliders to building/fixing the gliders. Analogous to my views on DIY telescope projects -- they are more of a means-to-an-end for me.

GeneT
Ely Kid

Reged: 11/07/08

Loc: South Texas
Re: The shortcomings of Astronomy as a Hobby new [Re: Feidb]
      #5874238 - 05/20/13 04:58 PM

Quote:

Living in Las Vegas

I grew up in Ely, and my parents moved to Las Vegas in 1962. Went from Mag 6.5 skies in my back yard to Mag -1 in Las Vegas. What the closest reasonably dark sky site? How is Valley of Fire?

rdandrea
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 06/13/10

Loc: Colorado, USA DM59ra
      #5874698 - 05/20/13 09:08 PM

Astronomy isn't an escape. It's something I'm interested in. If I didn't want to deal with the vagaries of the weather, the moon, etc, I'd take up bowling instead.

Astrodj
professor emeritus

Reged: 08/24/11

Loc: Missouri
      #5874991 - 05/20/13 11:52 PM

"So what do you do when you want (need) to escape to the stars with your scope, your binoculars, or maybe just laying on a blanket looking up, but mother nature is not cooperating?"

I like to plan an observing session. If I have one planned out already, I plan another one. For me at least this is very relaxing and enjoyable. I make up lists, print custom charts, prepare observing logs/sketch sheets in advance, research double stars for the night, variable/carbon stars, OC's, etc...I can spend hours on such activities. I dig through Sue French's Deep Sky Wonders for challenge objects and oddities I have never seen. I enjoy reading about various stars of interest on Jim Kaler's Stars website and get a lot of good data there on some of the double stars I plan on observing. Burnham's still remains an old if somewhat outdated favorite for general reading. I tinker with equipment, clean up and reorganize go boxes and containers.

However, if I can see a few stars and a 7 day old moon through high cirrus with low scud racing underneath I'm outside relaxing, naked eye is just fine thank you, and I am just as happy as with one of my scopes on a better night. Ok, almost as happy.

RobertED
Post Laureate

Reged: 07/11/03

Loc: Smithfield, RI
Re: The shortcomings of Astronomy as a Hobby new [Re: csa/montana]
      #5875246 - 05/21/13 07:16 AM

Quote:

I don't use Astronomy as an escape; rather to me it's just a very enjoyable hobby. When I can't observe, I find plenty here on CN, and my many books to keep my interest at a very high peak, until I can get out & enjoy the night skies again.

Absolutely!!...same here!!

TL2101
professor emeritus

Reged: 09/17/10

Loc: Concord, CA
Re: The shortcomings of Astronomy as a Hobby new [Re: RobertED]
      #5876299 - 05/21/13 04:41 PM

When I can't observe I like to read about the universe. Someday I hope to understand the universe and my place in it.

So far it's a little more complicated than I thought.

City Kid
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/06/09

Loc: Northern Indiana
      #5876669 - 05/21/13 06:44 PM

Quote:

So what do you do when you want (need) to escape to the stars with your scope, your binoculars, or maybe just laying on a blanket looking up, but mother nature is not cooperating?

I pout. I thought that's what everybody did.

coopman
Post Laureate

Reged: 04/23/06

Loc: South Louisiana
Re: The shortcomings of Astronomy as a Hobby new [Re: City Kid]
      #5876839 - 05/21/13 08:04 PM

The most frustrating thing for me is that I am unable to observe as often as I would like due to the weather and other circumstances. It kind of makes me question my sanity for having so much money tied up in equipment that I don't get a chance to use very often.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
4 registered and 13 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  cildarith, panhard, tecmage 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2350

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics