Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

General Astronomy >> General Observing and Astronomy

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)
azure1961p
Postmaster

Reged: 01/17/09

Loc: USA
Re: Summer Observing In US Northeast - Is it Possible? new [Re: RedLionNJ]
      #5950326 - 07/01/13 08:41 PM

Quote:

There is no doubt in my experience this has been the worst spring, astronomy-conditions-wise, in my part of New Jersey since I started record-keeping 8 years ago.

Since Jan 1, we have had NINE nights I would consider "good". My definition of "good" for this purpose is either great transparency (and no clouds!) or decent transparency with good seeing.

For the same Jan-June period in prior years, this number has been at least twenty.

Grant

Agreed.

Pete

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
vsteblina
sage

Reged: 11/05/07

Loc: Wenatchee, Washington
Re: Summer Observing In US Northeast - Is it Possible? new [Re: azure1961p]
      #5950439 - 07/01/13 10:05 PM

It isn't any better in the Northwest.

The last two years here in Washington state have been cool and rainy.

We finally got a typical spring this year.

However, the past two weeks have been the worst weather in 35 years of living Wenatchee for this time of year. CLOUDS and RAIN for most of the past two weeks. TWO WEEKS OF CLOUDS IN JUNE!!!! REALLY??

I was ready to reset my equipment in the observatory and was hoping for clear weather during the moon period so I could adjust everything.

Oh well, it is finally clearing out.

shawnhar
Post Laureate

Reged: 06/25/10

Loc: Knoxville, TN
Re: Summer Observing In US Northeast - Is it Possible? new [Re: vsteblina]
      #5950576 - 07/01/13 11:35 PM

This is the 1st year in a while that it really hit home.
I actually DO live on the edge of a temperate RAINFOREST!
Last 6 weeks have been harsh, I'm hoping the current weather pattern clears out, geesh...

Ron (Lubbock)
sage

Reged: 08/17/12

Loc: West TX
Re: Summer Observing In US Northeast - Is it Possible? new [Re: shawnhar]
      #5950590 - 07/01/13 11:49 PM

Weather has been uncooperative here in west TX since about June 12. Seems like a cloud bank rolls in right around dinner time every day. Reminds me of the 1980s when I was growing up in northeastern PA. Most of the "clear" nights were so hazy as to be useless for deep sky.

roscoe
curmudgeon

Reged: 02/04/09

Loc: NW Mass, inches from VT
Re: Summer Observing In US Northeast - Is it Possible? new [Re: shawnhar]
      #5950606 - 07/02/13 12:02 AM

Well, it's July 1, normally I'm eating fresh peas and salad greens from our garden by now...This year, we're still planting (in mud), and much is only an inch or two tall.
My hay crop is likely ruined....... it is over-ripe, starting to lie down, and the ground is so wet that even if I could get equipment in without it sinking out-of-sight, the cut hay would never dry lying on the soggy soil.
I normally bring binocs every night when I walk our dog, only looked through them 5 times in June....
I wish I kept better records, but this has certainly been (except for two hot-hazy weeks) the coolest and cloudiest
spring in memory.....
R

REC
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/20/10

Loc: NC
Re: Summer Observing In US Northeast - Is it Possible? new [Re: steveyo]
      #5951129 - 07/02/13 11:03 AM

What about a trip to the Adirondacks, no good there too?

csrlice12
Postmaster

Reged: 05/22/12

Loc: Denver, CO
Re: Summer Observing In US Northeast - Is it Possible? new [Re: REC]
      #5951134 - 07/02/13 11:06 AM

Denver: They just lifted our drought ban for watering our yards for the first time in years....and we're still battling raging wildfires throughout the state......

pbruckne

Reged: 08/02/12

Loc: S.E. Michigan
Re: Summer Observing In US Northeast - Is it Possible? new [Re: csrlice12]
      #5951204 - 07/02/13 11:49 AM

S.E. Michigan: It's my fault, I bought a new scope about a month ago and it's either rained or has been cloudy just about everyday since... The shift in the jet stream followed the delivery truck!

-Paul

Garry

Reged: 10/01/06

Re: Summer Observing In US Northeast - Is it Possible? new [Re: Peter10]
      #5952227 - 07/02/13 10:45 PM

Not while this weather pattern refuses to budge.
Sat Image Loop
I am not a meteorologist but I see a stuck high pressure system in the Atlantic off of the East coast that is churning up moisture and clouds from the south all the way up the entire East side of the country. The Atlantic forecast shows the High in place for the next week still.

And here in Michigan, Paul,we are stuck between a low pressure system spinning clouds counterclockwise and the high system rotating clouds clockwise. For the next week there is no end in sight yet.

This has been the worst weather for observing at this time of the year that I can recall.

Clear Skies to All,

Garry

GreenGal

Reged: 05/10/13

Re: Summer Observing In US Northeast - Is it Possible? new [Re: Garry]
      #5952609 - 07/03/13 07:18 AM

I've had my new scope all set up and ready to use for over a week and a half now. Hoping for clear skies this weekend......

amicus sidera
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/14/11

Loc: East of the Sun, West of the M...
Re: Summer Observing In US Northeast - Is it Possible? new [Re: GreenGal]
      #5952720 - 07/03/13 08:58 AM

It's official: the month of June was the wettest on record for New Jersey, with just under 10" of precipitation...Philadelphia broke its record also, and NYC just missed by a few tenths of an inch. July is forecast to be similarly "moist".

Great pizza, plenty of good diners and The Shore are not even close to making up for this.

Fred

russell23
Post Laureate

Reged: 05/31/09

Loc: Upstate NY
Re: Summer Observing In US Northeast - Is it Possible? new [Re: amicus sidera]
      #5952732 - 07/03/13 09:08 AM

Take advantage of clear skies when you get them because long cloudy stretches will hit the northeast throughout the year.

Dave

BrooksObs
professor emeritus

Reged: 12/08/12

Re: Summer Observing In US Northeast - Is it Possible? new [Re: davebuechler]
      #5952830 - 07/03/13 10:15 AM

Speaking as someone who, in addition to astronomy, has maintained a long interest in regional meteorology, I would point out that the recent weather situation prevailing in the eastern United States is not unique, except perhaps for its timing this year.

Over decades of observation I've noted consistently that sometime between April and June an approximately month-long interval occurs where the general weather pattern presently evident appears. At such times, systems' progress slows or creases for a time with a frontal system stalling just inland from the east coast. This brings endless clouds and often heavy rains simultaneously from the Southeast all the way to New England, often distinctly marking the change from spring to more summery weather patterns.

This year this springtime pattern was very late setting up, allowing a summer-like strong Bermuda high to form. Such high pressure systems normally serve to create hot, but more-or-less dry, conditions along the east coast. On this occasion, however, the very deep trough in the jet stream inland is combining with the clockwise flow around the high to draw humid moist air from the Gulf up along the east coast.

A quite similar odd situation occurred perhaps 15-20 years back a bit earlier in the season, resulting locally in an incredible 21"-24" of rainfall where I live in the course of about 3 weeks, moisture actually being drawn all the way from the Atlantic off Brazil!

Hopefully...the current stalled pattern should begin to ease and slowly shift east in the next 7 to 10 days.

BrooksObs

Edited by BrooksObs (07/03/13 02:12 PM)

Widespread
professor emeritus

Reged: 05/11/11

Loc: Bowling Green, Kentucky
Re: Summer Observing In US Northeast - Is it Possible? new [Re: BrooksObs]
      #5953268 - 07/03/13 02:38 PM

I feel your pain. It has been a terrible late spring and early summer.

But:
At midnight on June 2, I noticed that most of the sky was clear.
So I went bird hunting: I saw the Eagle, the Swan, and the Wild Duck.

Well, I can't really say that I saw the eagle properly, I was using my 90mm. I could see definite nebulosity but no clear structure. The Swan looked nice with my 24 mm eyepiece, but really looked great when I popped in the 2.5x TV Barlow. The wild duck is always a favorite.

This was my first time looking at these summer objects with my 90 mm. The transparency was not that great, but I was pleasantly surprised with what I could see under relatively dark local conditions and fully adapted eyes.

I only got one hour of observing before I had to go to bed, but a deep and persistent itch was finally scratched.

My best advice is, have a small scope/ binos handy, and keep an eye out for sucker holes!

shawnhar
Post Laureate

Reged: 06/25/10

Loc: Knoxville, TN
Re: Summer Observing In US Northeast - Is it Possible? new [Re: Widespread]
      #5953451 - 07/03/13 04:48 PM

That Gulf moisture is all up my business and this stupid pattern will probably last the entirety of my vacation, which starts tomorrow....grrrr
I'd have to drive 10 hours to get out of this mess!

REC
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/20/10

Loc: NC
Re: Summer Observing In US Northeast - Is it Possible? new [Re: BrooksObs]
      #5953486 - 07/03/13 05:08 PM

I hope your right about the next couple of weeks cause this southern flow of moisture is getting a little old. I have not had my scope out in almost a month!

Keep us posted!

Bob

csrlice12
Postmaster

Reged: 05/22/12

Loc: Denver, CO
Re: Summer Observing In US Northeast - Is it Possible? new [Re: REC]
      #5953526 - 07/03/13 05:31 PM

Partly cloudy tonight in Denver. Seems to cloud up as soon as the sun sets. I'm hoping for some sucker holes just to remember which end to look thru.

mountain monk
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/06/09

Loc: Grand Teton National Park
Re: Summer Observing In US Northeast - Is it Possible? new [Re: csrlice12]
      #5953575 - 07/03/13 05:57 PM

I'll chime in.

The up side: We had a mild winter and a wet spring that produced the finest display of wildflowers I've ever seen here. June was great with five nights of SQM readings over 21.50. The down side: The river I fished last Sunday had flows of 1/2 normal, our little spring creek is the lowest I've ever seen for this time of year, and the snow at 10,000 feet is, basically, gone. We're worried sick about wildfires. I would happily trade a great night for a day of rain.

So it goes.

Dark skies.

Jack

bherv
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/10/06

Loc: WMass
Re: Summer Observing In US Northeast - Is it Possible? new [Re: mountain monk]
      #5953613 - 07/03/13 06:31 PM

Now, in addition to the humidity we are expecting a heat wave through the weekend. I am hoping to get some observing in this weekend at Arunah Hill. I'm not expecting great transparency but if it's clear it should be ok. Definately will have the dew heaters ready to go.
Barry

beatlejuice
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 04/05/11

Loc: Hamilton, ON,Canada
Re: Summer Observing In US Northeast - Is it Possible? new [Re: Peter10]
      #5953643 - 07/03/13 07:02 PM

I know that the 14 day forecast is a toss of the dice, but around here there is inevitably a small string of sunny days near the end of the 14 day forecast. Even though I know it is wrong to do so, I end up getting my hopes up only to be dashed as the forecast sunny days turn to cloud and rain as time goes by. Next hope July 11-14. Hey, it is a toss of the dice and sooner or later they will be right!

Eric

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)

Extra information
3 registered and 25 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  cildarith, panhard, tecmage 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3083

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics