Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

General Astronomy >> General Observing and Astronomy

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
vahe
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 08/27/05

Loc: Houston, Texas
Mosquitos
      #6070992 - 09/09/13 10:39 AM

I observe from our backyard in Houston, the mosquito situation has essentially put a complete stop to astronomy, I can not stay outdoors for more than minute, they are eating me alive.
Going beyond the sprays and long sleeve clothing, I have a question, I see that there are mosquito control devices for sale in $200 to $500 range with the claim that these devices clear up a good size area.
Has anyone tried these devices, do they really work? Are they effective? Any recommendations?
Unless I come up with a solution there will be no more astronomy for me.

Vahe

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Rick M.

Reged: 03/16/13

Re: Mosquitos new [Re: vahe]
      #6071002 - 09/09/13 10:43 AM

I have used a Mosquito Magnet. The trick is getting the positioning correct (it attracts the skitters using carbon dioxide and chemicals found in skin, then it traps them). It will thin your population out dramatically.

Sorny
professor emeritus

Reged: 03/15/12

Loc: Southern MN
Re: Mosquitos new [Re: Rick M.]
      #6071038 - 09/09/13 11:04 AM

If it isn't windy, get a thermacell. Fire it up, outside, 15 minutes before you want to go outside. You'll see them flying around about 10-15' from where the thermacell is and fly right back out of the "bubble" it makes.

StrangeDejavu
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/20/13

Loc: Florida
Re: Mosquitos new [Re: Sorny]
      #6071051 - 09/09/13 11:11 AM

+1 on ThermaCell, you can get a lantern and refills at Home Depot. I used to get, no joke, 25-30 mosquito bites per session. Let the TermaCell burn for 10-15 minutes prior and you're good to go. It has no smell and is safe for animals and children. It creates a 15x15 foot "bubble" around you, given no wind. One of the best investments i've made in this hobby.

obin robinson
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/25/12

Loc: League City, TX
      #6071149 - 09/09/13 11:52 AM

Quote:

I observe from our backyard in Houston, the mosquito situation has essentially put a complete stop to astronomy, I can not stay outdoors for more than minute, they are eating me alive.
Going beyond the sprays and long sleeve clothing, I have a question, I see that there are mosquito control devices for sale in $200 to $500 range with the claim that these devices clear up a good size area.
Has anyone tried these devices, do they really work? Are they effective? Any recommendations?
Unless I come up with a solution there will be no more astronomy for me.

Vahe

Ditto here in League City. They are making astronomy impossible. I am going to try a fan though and see if it works. I'll report back if it does. Otherwise most of my sessions involve smacking mosquitos off my face for 15 minutes then giving up.

obin

panhardModerator
It's All Good

Reged: 01/20/08

Loc: Markham Ontario Canada
Re: Mosquitos new [Re: obin robinson]
      #6071179 - 09/09/13 12:05 PM

Thermocell is the way I go.

Qwickdraw
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/03/12

Loc: Ann Arbor, MI
Re: Mosquitos new [Re: StrangeDejavu]
      #6071203 - 09/09/13 12:15 PM

Quote:

+1 on ThermaCell, you can get a lantern and refills at Home Depot. I used to get, no joke, 25-30 mosquito bites per session. Let the TermaCell burn for 10-15 minutes prior and you're good to go. It has no smell and is safe for animals and children. It creates a 15x15 foot "bubble" around you, given no wind. One of the best investments i've made in this hobby.

Even if there is a slight draft or breeze, position it upwind accordingly and it will still be somewhat effective.

Eric63
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 06/16/12

Loc: Ottawa, Ontario
Re: Mosquitos new [Re: panhard]
      #6071206 - 09/09/13 12:15 PM

Yep...another here in favour of the Thermacell. When Mosquitoes are really bad in May and June, I use two of them. One near my scope and one near the little camping table I use.

Also, during set up I wear a bug mesh jacket (and mask) and I always wear long pants with socks. I remove the jacket after the Thermacell has kicked in.

Eric

Edited by Eric63 (09/10/13 12:22 PM)

iverp
sage

Reged: 04/16/10

#6071318 - 09/09/13 01:19 PM

Here is a thread on Mosquitos from July:
www.cloudynights.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/5953917/page/0/view...

Duplin

Reged: 06/23/12

Loc: Eastern North Carolina
Re: Mosquitos new [Re: iverp]
      #6072378 - 09/09/13 11:43 PM

Thermacell. I live in Eastern North Carolina and it's been WET this summer. Hence, clouds of mosquitos. I was using about 1/3 can of Deet spray each outing...and I came to really hate the stuff. I read about Thermacell on the CN forums and decided to take a chance even though I was somewhat sceptical. Well, it worked. In three nights I was bitten exactly zero times. No more DEET!

coopman
Post Laureate

Reged: 04/23/06

Loc: South Louisiana
Re: Mosquitos new [Re: Duplin]
      #6072740 - 09/10/13 08:05 AM

I have not been bitten in three YEARS of Thermacell use.

BrettG

Reged: 08/13/05

Loc: Massachusetts
Re: Mosquitos new [Re: coopman]
      #6072751 - 09/10/13 08:19 AM

I may have to look into this Thermacell for general use as well as astro use, sounds promising. Thanks all!

Michael Rapp
Post Laureate

Reged: 04/27/04

Loc: Dickinson, TX
Re: Mosquitos new [Re: BrettG]
      #6073341 - 09/10/13 02:36 PM Attachment (11 downloads)

I'll give another Houston report. I'm about 20 miles from Galveston. Absolutely, late August and September mosquitos are crazy. Within moments of going outside, one is being eaten alive...repeatedly and all at once!

I also use the Themacell. Where it shines for me is that I can use it and not have to take a shower after observing to get all the Deep Woods OFF spray off me before going to bed. The trick is to put it outside on your observing table about 15 minutes before you go outside. It does take a bit for the stuff to get the in air and be effective.

And no kidding about mosquitos putting a stop to astronomy. Below is a copy of my most recent observing log. Note the number of objects viewed and the reason!!

Starlon
sage

Reged: 04/18/06

Loc: desert, USA
Re: Mosquitos new [Re: Michael Rapp]
      #6077722 - 09/12/13 08:59 PM

I've seen 2 dead pigeons & reported that to the county.

http://kptv.membercenter.worldnow.com/story/23330225/recent-heavy-rain-may-br...

Quote:

So far this year, there have been 16 confirmed cases and two confirmed deaths blamed on the West Nile virus in Maricopa County.

Fogging: http://www.maricopa.gov/wnv/

They will be worse in a couple of weeks, hope my Thermacell keeps them at bay, now that the skies have cleared.

tomcody
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 07/06/08

Loc: Titusville, Florida
      #6078446 - 09/13/13 10:00 AM

For your yard, nothing beats a propane powered fogger. I use a Black Flag fogger, about $60 at the home supply stores, as needed the day of or day before observing. Supplement the yard spray with a personal protection device and you should be good to go. Note, the fogger works the same way as the ones municipalities use and is very effective, but one trick to using it, make sure to run the fogger (by run I mean have it turned on and red hot) for three minutes before spraying and three minutes after finishing spraying, this is to keep the fogger nozzle from clogging up, for warmup and clean out faze, just let it sit on the ground, turned on for the three minutes.
P.S. for personal protection, I use the OFF unit the one with a small fan and replaceable insecticide packs.
Rex

Edited by tomcody (09/13/13 10:03 AM)

obin robinson
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/25/12

Loc: League City, TX
      #6078570 - 09/13/13 11:31 AM

Quote:

I'll give another Houston report. I'm about 20 miles from Galveston. Absolutely, late August and September mosquitos are crazy.

I am only a few minutes away from you. Have you taken steps in your yard to mitigate mosquitos? My mom helped us to do some landscaping that put a big dent in our mosquito population this year. We planted herbs that the mosquitos hate the scent of. We also removed most of the standing water and helped the drainage on the property as well. It made a huge difference.

obin

Carol L

Reged: 07/05/04

Loc: Tomahawk, WI 45N//89W
Re: Mosquitos new [Re: tomcody]
      #6078600 - 09/13/13 11:50 AM

Quote:

For your yard, nothing beats a propane powered fogger. I use a Black Flag fogger, about $60 at the home supply stores, as needed the day of or day before observing. Supplement the yard spray with a personal protection device and you should be good to go. Note, the fogger works the same way as the ones municipalities use and is very effective, but one trick to using it, make sure to run the fogger (by run I mean have it turned on and red hot) for three minutes before spraying and three minutes after finishing spraying, this is to keep the fogger nozzle from clogging up, for warmup and clean out faze, just let it sit on the ground, turned on for the three minutes.
P.S. for personal protection, I use the OFF unit the one with a small fan and replaceable insecticide packs.
Rex

I've been hesitant to get one because of online consumer complaints regarding the clogging issue - thanks for the solution, Rex!

Michael Rapp
Post Laureate

Reged: 04/27/04

Loc: Dickinson, TX
Re: Mosquitos new [Re: obin robinson]
      #6078650 - 09/13/13 12:26 PM

Quote:

We planted herbs that the mosquitoes hate the scent of. We also removed most of the standing water and helped the drainage on the property as well. It made a huge difference.

I had never thought of that! I'll look around for some of those plants. I've also tried to be mindful of the standing water. I've got a few bins that the outdoor cats use for beds, but when it rains they collect quite a bit of water.

Don't know if you've seen this, but it gives the mosquito spray schedule for Galveston county. We're LC (League City) and WLC (West League City) on the calendar. http://www.co.galveston.tx.us/mosquito_control/sprayschedules2.htm

(Yes, everyone, mosquitoes are so bad down here we have a government office dedicated to controlling them!)

csrlice12
Postmaster

Reged: 05/22/12

Loc: Denver, CO
      #6078701 - 09/13/13 12:51 PM

Maybe if we turn the tables and start eating mosquitos...maybe mash'em up into protein bars...

Qwickdraw
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/03/12

Loc: Ann Arbor, MI
Re: Mosquitos [Re: csrlice12]
      #6078755 - 09/13/13 01:21 PM

Quote:

Maybe if we turn the tables and start eating mosquitos...maybe mash'em up into protein bars...

As much as we hate the little critters they are a food source for many animals which we eat or one or two sources removed.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
7 registered and 5 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  cildarith, panhard, tecmage 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1061

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics