Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

General Astronomy >> General Observing and Astronomy

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | (show all)
Dave Mitsky
Postmaster

Reged: 04/08/02

Loc: PA, USA, Planet Earth
Re: Comet ISON_Please... new [Re: BrooksObs]
      #6173280 - 11/03/13 08:38 AM

Is it true that some of the values of n for the comet are less than 2?

Dave Mitsky

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
BrooksObs
professor emeritus

Reged: 12/08/12

Re: Comet ISON_Please... new [Re: Dave Mitsky]
      #6173747 - 11/03/13 01:28 PM

Yes, Dave, I'm afraid that this is true, at least in regard to the last 30 days of reported activity. From 23 reliable visual observations by experienced comet observers, Oct. 3-Nov 1, I've just calculated:

m1 = 8.96 +5 log(d) + 2.70 log(r), n = 1.1 (!)

This implies that the comet is not even performing as well as a simple reflecting body would be expected to over the interval in question. In fact, it is currently loosing ground photometrically.

In addition, C/ISON's current intrinsic brightness would seem to place it well below any hope of perihelion survival for its "q" value according to Perihelion Survival/Non-Survival Law.

BrooksObs

Edited by BrooksObs (11/03/13 01:29 PM)

Edward E
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 03/26/06

Loc: Tucson, Arizona
Re: Comet ISON_Please... new [Re: ThreeD]
      #6175180 - 11/04/13 10:37 AM

The only interesting thing about Comet ISON is that it is in the same part of the sky with two brighter comets: Comet Encke & Comet Lovejoy then there is Comet 2012/X1 (LINEAR) over by Arcturus (visible in the evening and morning right now). Now that is an interesting show, worth getting up for.

T1R2
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 06/11/13

Loc: NeverWhere
Re: Comet ISON_Please... new [Re: Edward E]
      #6176778 - 11/05/13 04:26 AM

I think it will be a good naked eye comet that might even be impressive, but I think they missed calculated the speed its traveling and will put on a show a little later than expected........That is, I hope.

Tony Flanders
Postmaster

Reged: 05/18/06

Loc: Cambridge, MA, USA
Re: Comet ISON_Please... new [Re: T1R2]
      #6176900 - 11/05/13 07:46 AM

Quote:

I think it will be a good naked eye comet that might even be impressive

At this point, that's looking extremely unlikely.

Quote:

I think they missed calculated the speed its traveling and will put on a show a little later than expected.

No way! The laws of gravity have been well understood since Isaac Newton, and there's been ample data to calculate the comet's orbit with extreme precision for the better part of a year now. The only thing we can say for sure about the comet is that it -- or whatever is left of it -- will definitely be in a certain spot at a certain time.

C_Moon
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 10/23/09

Loc: Beneath the arms of Cassiopeia
      #6176930 - 11/05/13 08:11 AM

Quote:

The only interesting thing about Comet ISON is that it is in the same part of the sky with two brighter comets: Comet Encke & Comet Lovejoy then there is Comet 2012/X1 (LINEAR) over by Arcturus (visible in the evening and morning right now). Now that is an interesting show, worth getting up for.

I agree. I was able to see all four this past weekend, certainly the only time in the four years I've been heavy into amateur astronomy that I have been able to see four comets in one night. I think for my first year or so there were no comets visible in the range of my scope.

On top of that, I was able to make out a tail on ISON (and Lovejoy), which puts both near the top of the list of Comets I have seen.

T1R2
Pooh-Bah

Re: Comet ISON_Please... new [Re: C_Moon]
      #6178015 - 11/05/13 07:03 PM

So, we know exactly where its going to be, but we can't predict where the ESA's sat. GOCE is going to land? and its orbit is even more well established...

brianb11213
Postmaster

Reged: 02/25/09

Loc: 55.215N 6.554W
      #6178027 - 11/05/13 07:11 PM

Quote:

So, we know exactly where its going to be, but we can't predict where the ESA's sat. GOCE is going to land? and its orbit is even more well established...

A decaying satellite orbit is subject to all sorts of uncertainties because the density of the upper atmosphere is very variable & aerodynamic effects have a huge influence. There is essentially zero drag on a comet therefore its position is much easier to determine well in advance.

T1R2
Pooh-Bah

Re: Comet ISON_Please... new [Re: brianb11213]
      #6178044 - 11/05/13 07:18 PM

ok, thanks for the clarification

HurricaneWhisper

Reged: 07/28/13

#6178416 - 11/05/13 11:47 PM

I am starting to realize that comets have been out to personally cause me hell ever since the 70's.

Back in the 70's, the news told us that Kahoutek was on it's way and my Dad took me to what was then Louisiana State University in New Orleans so we could find it. This professor taught us all about comets and he even drew pictures on the green blackboards with chalk. I fell asleep after awhile, but then he told us where to go find the comet and my Dad woke me up. Dad tested parts of the Apollo moon rockets and he couldn't hear very well. The Buick Wildcat had a 400 cubic inch V-8 that burned premium leaded gasoline and it didn't have cruise control but it did have this buzzer that would make a sound when you went faster than a speed you set with a needle on the rectangular speedometer. The only problem was that the sound it made was the exact frequency that my Dad couldn't hear so the buzzer buzzed and drove me crazy while I kept my mouth shut and the big Wildcat took us to see the comet at an inordinate rate of speed. My Dad was confident that he was obeying the law as he never heard the buzzer as he blew by every other car on the freeway apparently thinking they were afraid of the 70 mph freeway speed limit. Dad was heading east on 1-10 to this spooky intersection at Michoud Blvd and when we got there we were alone in a dark swamp looking for an invisible comet. Soon enough, all the other people that were awake when the professor told us where to find the comet and didn't determine speed by buzzer sound caught up to us and pulled along the hulking Wildcat as it radiated heat. The invisible Comet Kahoutek wasn't at Michoud and I-10 but it was near Saturn and this lady who didn't fall asleep found it. She showed it to me with her binoculars She didn't quite talk like the professor as far as knowledge went, but there was something about the way she spoke that made you stay awake. I didn't know what an amatuer astronomer's was at the time. And I wouldn't know about them until comet Hale Bopp came after 25 years or so passed passed.

When Hale Bopp came around, I remembered the tiny view of Kahoutek through binoculars. So I went looking for a great big telescope to get a great big view. They had this thing called the internet at the time and after all the ridiculous and annoying noises from the dial up modem stopped, I found out all about amateur astronomers and amateur telescopes. It took forever to find out much from the internet in those days since it worked by making funny noises sort of like the speed buzzer on a Buick Wildcat. So I found out about Dob's and they were real big and I headed off to the store that had them. I went and bought a Celestron 8" Starhopper Dob at Land, Sea & Sky. I wasn't going to be Kahoutec'ed this time. While the Starhopper was definitely a starter scope, I ended up with a pretty nice mirror.

I had no idea that you could see Hale Bopp through the windshield before leaving the suburbs of Houston and while the sky was still blue from the recently set sun.

I set up the Starhopper and I was able to see the hoods.

But the spectacular, unforgettable, wonderous view was through some cheap binoculars I had. The tail was unbelievable.

Fast forward 18 years. I still have the Celestron as well as some really spectacular 10 x 50 and 8 x 35 Nikon birding binoculars that I also got at Land, Sea, & Sky. They aren't the type of Nikon's you will find at a sporting goods store. I found the views better than Swarovski's and Leica's I looked through and they were a little less expensive at $800 to $1000 or so dollars each. Once Hale Bopp caused me to search the new thing called the internet, I found Land, Sea, and Sky. Once I found Land, Sea, and Sky I found out that the view through Leica's and Swarovski's was spectacular and that there was indeed a difference between $1200 binoculars and $50.00 binoculars and once I found the Nikon's, I found all these birds, ducks, alligators other things I had been missing.

I heard about Panstarrs and Ison coming. I remembered the Hake Bopp tail and I started looking into large aperature Astronomy binoculars so I could improve upon the view of the tail. I had figured out that the key to a good comet was to go for as large a field of view as possible. I found that on the basis of FOV, versatility, and economics, that I would probably be better off with a Takahashi Sky 90 than extremely large aperature binoculars. So I went to Land, Sea & Sky again.

We headed out to Big Bend country around Spring Break this year to have a dry run on Panstarrs. There were all sorts of people at this one very well positioned spot. A couple had some Cannons with really big telephoto's on them that I believe are in the $14k range. I had my Sky 90, a Nagler 22 type 4, and a completely inadequate tripod. I wanted wide field to get ready for ISON, the comet of the milleniumTM, and I was using PANSTARRS as a dry run.

Everyone searched the sky but the setting sun left the sky extremely bright. I had downloaded an iphone app, so I had an idea where to look and directed everyone to scan that part of the sky to find the slimmest of slim crescent moons as the comet would be in the vicinity. Having purchased this new Takahashi I wanted it to prove it's worth as a wide field comet viewer with a wide view 2" eyepiece and that meant I ought to be able to find it first compared to the big Cannon telephoto's.

Some person with extremely good naked eyesight found the cresent moon in the beautiful pink sky which wasn't so beautiful for finding a faint comet. Once he spotted it, he pointed it out to us. I honed in on the moon with the Sky 90 and started scanning for the comet. I found it first and let out a yell. We got everybody lined up to move through and view through the Sky 90 while I readjusted to center the view. Panstaar's wasn't much, but I was satisfied with the Sky 90. It was just like when the lady with the binoculars showed me Kohoutec. Except this time, I was the one showing everyone the comet and we were on a super dark, desert dry mountain in Texas instead of a humid swamp next to a dead end intersection off a freeway.

We went back out to some really dark skies about the middle of October when the moon would be gone to try to get an early dry run look at ISON. I had one early morning opportunity before clouds would roll in for the rest of the weekend. I had a hard time as the telrad came off the Celestron and I didn't have much luck finding the comet. I did however, see some spectacular views of Orion's nebula with the new Ethos 13 I just bought to give me a bit more magnification in the middle ranges. The Nagler 22 type 4 had given me a taste of some truly wonderful optics at wide fields and so I went for the Ethos. Until this year, I really didn't have much in the way of eyepieces other than plossl types. The rest of the vacation was great in a non-astronomy way. We saw wildlife including several tarantuala's in the wild deep inside of Big Bend Ranch State Park. We met some park ranger's in the state park that would directly into a Coen brother's film involving Texas if they ever want to top No Country for Old Men.

So this damn comet ISON has been responsible for dragging me to all these beautiful places and great vacations and introduced me to a really portable fast refractor and incredible Nagler and Ethos eyepieces. It's forced me into meeting some wonderful people and given me the opportunity to show them what may have been their first comet. It made me go looking for the Marfa lights and meeting some other cool people having a good time and dragged me out to see the Macdonald observatory.

It caused me to order a Mini Hitch II and to change that order to an FT-1. I am looking at a Really Right Stuff tripod to complete the Sky 90 mount.

It even made me join this web site where I found all sorts of affable, helpful intelligent people and I learned about Sky Tools 3.

I'm going to have my revenge on this horrible comet ISON. I am going to hunt it down. I am going to get up early in the morning and find it even if I have to be dragged into seeing beautiful sunrises and watch the pelicans flying over Galveston Bay.

You hear me ISON! You lousy, elusive, hyped up, underperforming boon for astronomical instrument dealers. I'm going to find you even if it means I have to travel deep into the heart of the darkest skies of Texas. I'll find you and expose you to the world even if I have to go to Land, Sea & Sky again and again. You know I have your number. I also have Starlight instruments number and I'm going to dial you in with their focuser I installed on the Sky 90.

Don't you even think about fizzling. It's been 40 years since I started getting fooled by the likes of you, so throw out the best you got.

Edward E
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Comet ISON_Please... new [Re: HurricaneWhisper]
      #6178895 - 11/06/13 10:02 AM

WOW! what a great post; I feel that I should be jumping over benches and shouting Holy Oort Cloud!

I remember viewing the hoods of Comet Hale Bopp; it was fascinating to see them and see how they changed night to night. That is one of the pleasures of viewing comets. Watch for structure and when visible watching it change.

Edward E
scholastic sledgehammer

#6178898 - 11/06/13 10:03 AM

Nice icon T1R2. What is it?

WesC
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 02/06/13

Loc: La Crescenta, CA
      #6179263 - 11/06/13 01:17 PM

LOL! great post!

nicknacknock
professor emeritus

Reged: 02/20/12

Loc: In a galaxy far far away...
      #6179336 - 11/06/13 01:58 PM Attachment (14 downloads)

Well, I had a great viewing of comet Lovejoy on Saturday. Weather now turned south so no go for ISON for the rest of the week although we may get a window on Saturday or Sunday morning.

Since I am a slave to my dog and get up every morning at 4:30 for a walk (she's a huskie and my self appointed trainer), I might as well delay the walk for an hour and try to bag ISON.

Since ISON is a disappointment, I am hijacking the thread for a moment with a photo of my dog!

T1R2
Pooh-Bah

#6179419 - 11/06/13 02:44 PM Attachment (9 downloads)

its the spaceship from Heavy Metal, an "R" cartoon from 1981, featuring the voices of John Candy, Harold Ramis and others with soundtrack by Black Sabbath, Blue Oyster Cult, Devo, and lots of others

Edit: heres another iconic image from the movie

Edited by T1R2 (11/06/13 02:53 PM)

HurricaneWhisper

Reged: 07/28/13

Re: Comet ISON_Please... new [Re: nicknacknock]
      #6179480 - 11/06/13 03:19 PM

Quote:

Well, I had a great viewing of comet Lovejoy on Saturday. Weather now turned south so no go for ISON for the rest of the week although we may get a window on Saturday or Sunday morning.

Since I am a slave to my dog and get up every morning at 4:30 for a walk (she's a huskie and my self appointed trainer), I might as well delay the walk for an hour and try to bag ISON.

Since ISON is a disappointment, I am hijacking the thread for a moment with a photo of my dog!

He see's things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships off the shoulder of Orion. C-beams glitter in the dark at the Tannhauser Gates.

nicknacknock
professor emeritus

#6180303 - 11/07/13 01:43 AM Attachment (11 downloads)

No go this morning ... Fog everywhere...

T1R2
Pooh-Bah

#6180314 - 11/07/13 02:01 AM

Nice doggie, and a nice pic of what I think are stellar nurseries within a nebula

nicknacknock
professor emeritus

#6180369 - 11/07/13 05:06 AM

Thanx T1R2

Usually walking outside at 4:30 am is a joy.

Many friends up in the sky keep me company; the moon, planets, constellations, Orion's nebula (visible naked eye from my light polluted city)...

If fog + traffic lights counts as a nebula, it was a close encounter of the 17th kind!!!

Illinois
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/18/06

Loc: near Dixon, Illinois USA
      #6180437 - 11/07/13 07:21 AM

I woke up 4:30 this morning and grab my 10X50 binocular then went outside. Night is clear! I see Leo and Mars. I don't see Comet Ison then I went in to check Sky and Telescope November page 50. Comet should be at Leo's tail and close to around Beta star in Virgo. I went out and look. Still don't find it! I don't see a comet's tail or fuzzy blob of light. I think that comet is much fainter than expect. I don't know. November 17 to 20 should be easier because the comet would be close and pass Spica in Virgo.

Edited by Illinois (11/07/13 07:26 AM)

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | (show all)

Extra information
9 registered and 22 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  cildarith, panhard, tecmage 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 8593

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics