Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

General Astronomy >> General Observing and Astronomy

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | (show all)
Edward E
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 03/26/06

Loc: Tucson, Arizona
Comet ISON_Please...
      #6157587 - 10/25/13 02:44 PM

I don't know what others think but I'm already tired of the Comet ISON silliness. For a faint comet with little hope that it will blossom into something, it sure has captured a lot of attention. From "for pay" Comet ISON viewing with David Levy, constant media blurbs to Comet ISON photo contest with Sky&Tel it all is too much. Comet Hale Bopp or Comet Hyakutake did not generate nearly as much "hoopla" as ISON has even though the others were far brighter and easily viewable over a long period of time. If we are going to tout a "viewable" comet this fall-winter then it should be Comet Encke; its far brighter, has an interesting past and puts on a nice display each time around. I say, forget Comet ISON unless it blooms into something worth noting. OK, rant OFF.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
brianb11213
Postmaster

Reged: 02/25/09

Loc: 55.215N 6.554W
Re: Comet ISON_Please... new [Re: Edward E]
      #6157624 - 10/25/13 03:02 PM

+1

OMA

Reged: 09/11/13

Loc: Omaha, Nebraska
Re: Comet ISON_Please... new [Re: brianb11213]
      #6157770 - 10/25/13 04:35 PM

You forgot, or don't have, the people that think it's the end of the world and want you to take a look "with that big telescope you have"... ya know, just to see... something odd... I guess?

/sigh

Tom and Beth
Post Laureate

Reged: 01/08/07

Loc: Tucson, AZ
Re: Comet ISON_Please... new [Re: OMA]
      #6158108 - 10/25/13 07:54 PM

Yeah, I "grok" you on the hype. But as far as comets go it IS brighter than the average Comet, and worth getting up early for a peak. That time in the morning we're unlikely to run into many people.

* I was so tempted to write "Brighter than the average Bear, Boo Boo" above

Stargaz18
sage

Reged: 01/04/11

Loc: Wichita Falls, TX
Re: Comet ISON_Please... new [Re: Tom and Beth]
      #6158114 - 10/25/13 08:01 PM

So how many of you have actually seen comet Ison??

Edward E
scholastic sledgehammer

#6158121 - 10/25/13 08:08 PM

Quote:

Yeah, I "grok" you on the hype. But as far as comets go it IS brighter than the average Comet, and worth getting up early for a peak. That time in the morning we're unlikely to run into many people.

* I was so tempted to write "Brighter than the average Bear, Boo Boo" above

Edward E
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Comet ISON_Please... new [Re: Stargaz18]
      #6158123 - 10/25/13 08:10 PM

I have not been able to spot Comet ISON yet I'm planning on giving it another go this weekend.

rdandrea
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 06/13/10

Loc: Colorado, USA DM59ra
      #6158167 - 10/25/13 08:44 PM

Quote:

I don't know what others think but I'm already tired of the Comet ISON silliness.

Comets can't be "silly." They're inanimate objects. The fact that they're unpredictable is what makes them so special. So get real, quit expecting them to act like some TV show that resolves itself in 30 minutes, and enjoy the show when and if it happens.

BlueGrass
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 07/25/09

Loc: Wasatch Front, UT
Re: Comet ISON_Please... new [Re: rdandrea]
      #6158184 - 10/25/13 08:56 PM

Silliness (hype) is in the media ... value of ISON, Encke and Linear is helping to push telescopes sales, attract more people to outreach events, spark more interest in astronomy in general. Glad they don't happen that often! ... 'Comet? So? ... anything new to see?'....

kfiscus
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 07/09/12

Loc: Albert Lea, MN, USA
Re: Comet ISON_Please... new [Re: Stargaz18]
      #6158280 - 10/25/13 09:55 PM

Saw it twice. VERY underwhelming so far.

brianb11213
Postmaster

Re: Comet ISON_Please... new [Re: BlueGrass]
      #6158606 - 10/26/13 03:23 AM

Quote:

Silliness (hype) is in the media ... value of ISON, Encke and Linear is helping to push telescopes sales, attract more people to outreach events, spark more interest in astronomy in general. Glad they don't happen that often! ... 'Comet? So? ... anything new to see?'....

Yes, it's SO destructive to the hobby as a whole when what is hyped up to be really, really special turns out to be such a disappointment. Like a hydrogen bomb firework turning out to be a penny banger.

The people who get suckered in to buying a beginners scope by the hype never learn to use the thing properly & go away disappointed, angry & never buy any other astro kit ever again. The keen don't need "gee whiz" events to get interested or maintain their interest.

bleep

Reged: 08/06/12

#6158826 - 10/26/13 09:51 AM

The only place I see anything about Ison is on astronomy forums and websites and astronomy magazines. I haven't heard or seen it on TV or radio. My friends and coworkers don't even know what an Ison is. I don't know where you're all seeing the hype besides in the places where its supposed to be.

rnc39560
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/23/13

Loc: MS coast
Re: Comet ISON_Please... new [Re: bleep]
      #6159006 - 10/26/13 11:40 AM

Hale Bopp was indeed a sight! In south MS on our property you could see it CLEARLY naked eye. So much so my older sis said she would be glad when it was gone because she thought it looked unnatural. Lol!

Edited by rnc39560 (10/26/13 11:47 AM)

Edward E
scholastic sledgehammer

#6159037 - 10/26/13 12:07 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I don't know what others think but I'm already tired of the Comet ISON silliness.

Comets can't be "silly." They're inanimate objects. The fact that they're unpredictable is what makes them so special. So get real, quit expecting them to act like some TV show that resolves itself in 30 minutes, and enjoy the show when and if it happens.

You are correct a comet cannot be "silly" and I do not go around anthropomorphizing inanimate objects. It's the unnecessary attention to Comet ISON that is silly. The odds that anyone will be able to see this comet with just ones eyes is very small so there should not be any hype around this one. Just look back to last winter and comet PANSTARRs, I enjoyed taking photos of it and while I was out many non-astronomy types came out and tried to view it but could not find it. I would show it to them on the Cameras screen and in the small telescope and they would exclaim "that's it!? I came out for that!?" It was a big disappointment in their eyes. That is not what we want. We need people to have a realistic expectation of what a comet will look like. I enjoy observing comets, even the little ones that attract zero attention. I have no expectations what a comet will do; I just enjoy watching what may come.

labmand
sage

Reged: 02/08/11

Loc: Michigan USA
      #6159192 - 10/26/13 01:33 PM

"anthropomorphizing" may need to do a quicky look up on that one. Relax, I'm thinking about selling a couple
scopes, a little comet hype always helps

Edited by labmand (10/26/13 01:35 PM)

rdandrea
Carpal Tunnel

#6159823 - 10/26/13 09:12 PM

Quote:

It's the unnecessary attention to Comet ISON that is silly.

Whose unnecessary attention would that be? Yours? Certainly not mine. In 50+ years of observing, I've learned that comets will be what they will be. Relax and see what happens. It will either be good or great. Even telescopic comets are good, so anything better than that is great.

Tony Flanders
Postmaster

Reged: 05/18/06

Loc: Cambridge, MA, USA
      #6160236 - 10/27/13 06:00 AM

Quote:

As far as comets go it IS brighter than the average Comet, and worth getting up early for a peek.

So far, ISON is not remarkable at all -- an entirely typical, faint telescopic comet.

What makes ISON special is the fact that it's going to pass extremely close to the Sun -- something quite rare for a comet of its intrinsic brightness. That means that it has a small but not negligible chance of putting on a truly impressive display after it passes the Sun on Thanksgiving.

Early on, there was also hope that it would look impressive leading up to Thanksgiving, but that's pretty much ruled out now.

nicknacknock
professor emeritus

Reged: 02/20/12

Loc: In a galaxy far far away...
Re: Comet ISON_Please... new [Re: Tony Flanders]
      #6160442 - 10/27/13 10:09 AM

A few months ago I started researching scopes to get a Dob. Said dob is arriving next week, but the funny thing was how vendors were stating that I had to get a telescope to enjoy the comet of the century and all. As if the night sky is not full of wonders...

I didn't order the dob for that reason, my 80mm APO refractor is more than capable to assist if ISON decides to meet everybody's expectations as stated over the course of the last few months, but much ado about nothing it seems - although I would looooove to be pleasantly surprised....

FirstSight
Duke of Deneb

Reged: 12/26/05

Loc: Raleigh, NC
      #6160599 - 10/27/13 11:43 AM

Quote:

I don't know what others think but I'm already tired of the Comet ISON silliness. For a faint comet with little hope that it will blossom into something, it sure has captured a lot of attention. From "for pay" Comet ISON viewing with David Levy, constant media blurbs to Comet ISON photo contest with Sky&Tel it all is too much. Comet Hale Bopp or Comet Hyakutake did not generate nearly as much "hoopla" as ISON has even though the others were far brighter and easily viewable over a long period of time. If we are going to tout a "viewable" comet this fall-winter then it should be Comet Encke; its far brighter, has an interesting past and puts on a nice display each time around. I say, forget Comet ISON unless it blooms into something worth noting. OK, rant OFF.

The potentially overblown hoopla over comet Ison is nothing compared to the two classic episodes of overblown comet hoopla, both of which I vividly remember (including the letdowns):
1) Comet Kohoutek in 1973 (closest analogy to Ison if Ison turns out to enormously underperform early hopeful expectations);
2) Halley's return in 1986 (because its passage was at much farther distance and less favorable altitude for North American observers than its vivid 1910 apparition).

Edited by FirstSight (10/29/13 11:10 AM)

Gary Z

Reged: 01/26/12

Loc: New Mexico
Re: Comet ISON_Please... new [Re: FirstSight]
      #6163930 - 10/29/13 04:01 AM

I can appreciate the sentiment that the hype around ISON is rather silly. But for many, including myself, we were not able to get into astronomy until more recently. The first comet I ever actually saw was PANSTARRS. The fact that several folks out there are taking the time to find it for themselves and share (You Tube), is encouraging. This event will help many new comers to celestial events that comets are unpredictable, but worth the find in a telescope.

Jon Isaacs
Postmaster

Reged: 06/16/04

Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA
Re: Comet ISON_Please... new [Re: Gary Z]
      #6163964 - 10/29/13 05:22 AM

Quote:

I can appreciate the sentiment that the hype around ISON is rather silly. But for many, including myself, we were not able to get into astronomy until more recently. The first comet I ever actually saw was PANSTARRS. The fact that several folks out there are taking the time to find it for themselves and share (You Tube), is encouraging. This event will help many new comers to celestial events that comets are unpredictable, but worth the find in a telescope.

I have come to accept the Hoopla over comets as pretty standard, hoopla over meteor showers as pretty standard, hoopla over eclipses as pretty standard.. I am OK with it, I have just come to expect it as part of the deal and think anything that gets people out under the night sky looking or just thinking about the night sky, that's a plus in my book, it raises awareness. Compared to reality TV, it's something real.

The stuff that is interesting to me, it's out there all the time but I don't see it in the general press. They don't hype the fact that Zeta Bootes is optimally positioned for split in the early evening or that the seeing will be excellent tonight or that there will be a double shadow transit or that Omega Centauri is visible from San Diego in the early evening..

Jon

lintonius
sage

Reged: 12/13/05

Loc: south-central Utah
Re: Comet ISON_Please... new [Re: Jon Isaacs]
      #6163975 - 10/29/13 05:46 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I have come to accept the Hoopla over comets as pretty standard, hoopla over meteor showers as pretty standard, hoopla over eclipses as pretty standard.. I am OK with it, I have just come to expect it as part of the deal and think anything that gets people out under the night sky looking or just thinking about the night sky, that's a plus in my book, it raises awareness. Compared to reality TV, it's something real.

The stuff that is interesting to me, it's out there all the time but I don't see it in the general press. They don't hype the fact that Zeta Bootes is optimally positioned for split in the early evening or that the seeing will be excellent tonight or that there will be a double shadow transit or that Omega Centauri is visible from San Diego in the early evening..

Jon

Yeah Jon, I'm often asked at public star parties, "Why are we all out here tonight? Is there something special in the sky?" I say "Why, yes, there's always something special. Every night!" Of course, I'll then follow up with some "for example...", but good grief...
Linton

lintonius
sage

Re: Comet ISON_Please... new [Re: lintonius]
      #6163978 - 10/29/13 05:52 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Jon

Yeah Jon, I'm often asked at public star parties, "Why are we all out here tonight? Is there something special in the sky?" I say "Why, yes, there's always something special. Every night!" Of course, I'll then follow up with some "for example...", but good grief...
Linton

'scuse me, while I kiss the sky.

Edward E
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Comet ISON_Please... new [Re: nicknacknock]
      #6164340 - 10/29/13 11:02 AM

Quote:

A few months ago I started researching scopes to get a Dob. Said dob is arriving next week, but the funny thing was how vendors were stating that I had to get a telescope to enjoy the comet of the century and all. As if the night sky is not full of wonders...

I didn't order the dob for that reason, my 80mm APO refractor is more than capable to assist if ISON decides to meet everybody's expectations as stated over the course of the last few months, but much ado about nothing it seems - although I would looooove to be pleasantly surprised....

The irony of using Comets, in this case Comet ISON, to sale telescopes it that if it did become "the comet the century" one would not need to buy a telescope to see it. Now I am preaching to the choir.

I'm not against media coverage of astronomical events, when there is actually something to be seen. It does generate interest in astronomy and new observers to the hobby. It would be nice to have a grand spectacle of a comet to show the public this December but I doubt that Comet ISON will be that spectacle; it will due well to survive it's close brush with the Sun.

MEE

Reged: 07/10/10

#6164610 - 10/29/13 01:33 PM

People who are not interested in astronomy in general generally like to be visually impressed when something astronomical is announced to them (usually via a non astronomical source such as the press). Some might retain their interest even if the celestial event is disappointing, but most won't. Some may express disappointment ("We went out for this???") while others may play nice ("Thank you for the view. That was really neat!") but may decide not to view other "special" astronomical events in the future because of their disappointment.

I, too, am disappointed in how some sources (both astronomical and non-astronomical) have portrayed Comet ISON ("Comet of the Century!", etc.) and I worry that will continue up to the time the comet is best seen.

On the other hand, how is the general press supposed to handle something like this? Sure, they can take a "wait and see" attitude and announce the comet on their newscasts and websites only if the comet is doing very well. But, it's always nice to have time to prepare for something like this-- to plan where to go, etc. If you heard about a bright comet in the sky on a Tuesday, but you couldn't go to a dark sky until Saturday, then by Saturday it might have faded. If you knew about it a few weeks or months before, you might have rearranged your schedule for it.

So, what is the press (or websites that appeal to the general public) supposed to do?

1. announce the comet ONLY if it has been currently proven to be bright and impressive (and run the risk that people might miss it because it was announced too late) or

2. announce the comet weeks or months in advance and say that it MIGHT be bright (members of the media will not likely go for this)

Edited by MEE (10/29/13 01:35 PM)

ensign
professor emeritus

Reged: 12/16/08

Loc: Southwestern Ontario
Re: Comet ISON_Please... new [Re: MEE]
      #6164617 - 10/29/13 01:37 PM

Quote:

So, what is the press (or websites that appeal to the general public) supposed to do?

1. announce the comet ONLY if it has been currently proven to be bright and impressive (and run the risk that people might miss it because it was announced too late) or

2. announce the comet weeks or months in advance and say that it MIGHT be bright (members of the media will not likely go for this)

3. Underpromise and overdeliver.

PhilCo126
Post Laureate

Reged: 01/14/05

Loc: coastline of Belgium
Re: Comet ISON_Please... new [Re: ensign]
      #6165711 - 10/30/13 04:07 AM

When C/1995 01 Hale-Bopp was in (daylight) skies, most people didn't have internet so the fuzz couldn't be spread... On the other hand it's nice to see mass media pick up the news so our hobby gets some attention

Doc Willie
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 03/31/10

Loc: Mid-Hudson Valley, NY, USA
Re: Comet ISON_Please... new [Re: PhilCo126]
      #6166025 - 10/30/13 09:43 AM

The obvious way to hype this is to have a lottery - the maximum magnitude of the comet to 8 decimal places or some other specifiable number. Like fantasy football, where folks follow games which do not involve their home team, people will have a personal stake.

RussL
Music Maker

Reged: 03/18/08

Loc: Cayce and Lancaster, SC
Re: Comet ISON_Please... new [Re: Doc Willie]
      #6166104 - 10/30/13 10:22 AM

Aw, what the heck. So, I mean, the Sombrero Galaxy is "underwhelming" from my yard, too, being so dim. But, so what? I still like looking at it. So what if ISON is dim. It's still a comet, it's still something to look at, and most importantly something to THINK about as you view it.

Whether something is underwhelming or overwhelming, or just plain regular, is all in how the viewer thinks of it.

Kraus
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 03/10/12

Loc: Georgia.
      #6166258 - 10/30/13 11:58 AM

Q: What did the astronomer say when asked of that night sky object?

A: No comet.

Faded_Star

Reged: 10/26/13

#6166352 - 10/30/13 12:58 PM

Well, as a recent purchaser of a first 'proper telescope' I can add ISON to the list of things that finally got me to buy one.

Other things that helped include access to sky with little light pollution, a colleague with an interest, a personal but unfulfilled interest in astronomy going back 45 years, a small cash present and not forgetting a PPI payout.

I remember reading about Halley's Comet - much the same time I read about the 1999 total eclipse. Never saw Halley's but did see Hale-Bopp. If I get to see ISON, then great, if not (and I find sitting outside for hours to be beyond me) then the least I have done is assisted the business of one of our established astronomy retailers.

snorkler
Aperture Aficionado

Reged: 10/11/04

Loc: Bay Area, California
Re: Comet ISON_Please... new [Re: Faded_Star]
      #6166445 - 10/30/13 01:43 PM

I didn't get into astronomy until 2004, but the media hype about comets got me out to see Kohoutek in the '70s, Halley in the '80s, and Hyakutake in the '90s. If it keeps the ember burning, it can't be all bad.

Tony Flanders
Postmaster

Re: Comet ISON_Please... new [Re: RussL]
      #6166768 - 10/30/13 04:25 PM

Quote:

Aw, what the heck. So, I mean, the Sombrero Galaxy is "underwhelming" from my yard, too, being so dim. But, so what? I still like looking at it. So what if ISON is dim. It's still a comet, it's still something to look at, and most importantly something to THINK about as you view it.

Sure. But at any moment there are several telescopic comets that satisfy that description.

RussL
Music Maker

Reged: 03/18/08

Loc: Cayce and Lancaster, SC
      #6167885 - 10/31/13 08:02 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Sure. But at any moment there are several telescopic comets that satisfy that description.

True dat.

What I mean is, if something doesn't light yer fire, then look at something else that does. Halley's was a let down to me, but only because I had expectations. Then again, I was still delighted to look at it.

Edward E
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Comet ISON_Please... new [Re: RussL]
      #6168350 - 10/31/13 12:12 PM

When Comets Hyakutake & Hale-Bopp was visible the local & national media covered the story and provided "fair" information as to when & where to look and what to be looking for. There was no "Comet of the Century" as we have seen with Comet ISON. Part of the blame does land on the astronomical community. Astronomy pundits did "hype" this comet soon after its discovery and the media naturally picked up on this and so the snowball started its journey (pun intended).

I remember when Comet Halley made its last pass through the inner solar system back in the mid 80s. The media covered it and pointed out that it was one of lest favorable passes to Earth and that the comet would be hard to see from the Northern Hemi. I did not know what to expect to see as Comet Halley came around; up to then I had only seen one other comet, Comet IRAS–Araki–Alcock. It was a big, blue, fuzzball that moved very rapidly across the sky. I was impressed with how large it looked compared to the moon and how fast it moved in my 8" scope. Then when Comet Halley came by, I was impressed with the details visible in my 8" scope and how the comet evolved (am I still allowed to use the "E" word these days) night to night.

So maybe the issue is with the "professionalism" or lack there of, of our media outlets these days.

I am not against media coverage of comets as they come and go, just undue hype. When a "spectacular" comet comes around and cast shadows at night, is clearly visible in broad daylight and causes the "holy rollers" to expect Gabriell's horn to blow any moment, then by all means, heap on the hype, I will be right there cheering them on but not for Comet ISON.

DavidC
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 11/24/05

Loc: Mesa, Arizona
      #6172302 - 11/02/13 05:18 PM

I second the very unimpressive so far. I saw Ison for the first time about a month ago on the other side of mars and regulus, and I was using about 190X w/ my 13 inch. It was dim to say the least, but it appeared as a really faint, oblong fuzzy star, and it's shape was definitely different than surrounding stars. A couple mornings ago about 4:30 am, Ison was on the other side of mars, it was a little brighter, but still faint. But I have high hopes that it will be brighter around the first week of December. I hope it will, but if it is not much better, oh well. With comets sometimes we really can't predict them 100% correct.
David

ThreeD
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 12/23/08

Loc: Sacramento suburbs
Re: Comet ISON_Please... new [Re: DavidC]
      #6172599 - 11/02/13 08:57 PM

Yeah, thought I would give it a shot from my backyard this morning. My children asked me to wake them up to see it. After seeing how unimpressive it was, at least from my light polluted backyard, I didn't bother to wake them up. I didn't bother to drag the 16" but in my 8" it was very difficult to pull out of the low contrast light polluted skies and was just a slightly fuzzy oblong star.

DavidC
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 11/24/05

Loc: Mesa, Arizona
Re: Comet ISON_Please... new [Re: ThreeD]
      #6172756 - 11/02/13 10:53 PM

Yea, at least we saw Ison as an oblong faint fuzzy, I was told it is now about a mag 9 or 10. Everybody says Ison will get brighter, I sure hope so. But there are some great images of Ison floating around out there, especially Adam Blocks image he imaged from Mount Lemmon in Arizona.

Illinois
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/18/06

Loc: near Dixon, Illinois USA
Re: Comet ISON_Please... new [Re: DavidC]
      #6173217 - 11/03/13 07:39 AM

Comet Ison....what mag is right now? Thanks!

BrooksObs
professor emeritus

Reged: 12/08/12

Re: Comet ISON_Please... new [Re: Illinois]
      #6173269 - 11/03/13 08:30 AM

The latest visual sightings reported by experienced comet observers put C/ISON's magnitude at between magnitude 9.0 and 9.5 around November 1 UT. Very disappointing and far behind anything that had been anticipated for this date (and with the comet now situated closer to the Sun than is the Earth).

BrooksObs

Dave Mitsky
Postmaster

Reged: 04/08/02

Loc: PA, USA, Planet Earth
Re: Comet ISON_Please... new [Re: BrooksObs]
      #6173280 - 11/03/13 08:38 AM

Is it true that some of the values of n for the comet are less than 2?

Dave Mitsky

BrooksObs
professor emeritus

Re: Comet ISON_Please... new [Re: Dave Mitsky]
      #6173747 - 11/03/13 01:28 PM

Yes, Dave, I'm afraid that this is true, at least in regard to the last 30 days of reported activity. From 23 reliable visual observations by experienced comet observers, Oct. 3-Nov 1, I've just calculated:

m1 = 8.96 +5 log(d) + 2.70 log(r), n = 1.1 (!)

This implies that the comet is not even performing as well as a simple reflecting body would be expected to over the interval in question. In fact, it is currently loosing ground photometrically.

In addition, C/ISON's current intrinsic brightness would seem to place it well below any hope of perihelion survival for its "q" value according to Perihelion Survival/Non-Survival Law.

BrooksObs

Edited by BrooksObs (11/03/13 01:29 PM)

Edward E
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Comet ISON_Please... new [Re: ThreeD]
      #6175180 - 11/04/13 10:37 AM

The only interesting thing about Comet ISON is that it is in the same part of the sky with two brighter comets: Comet Encke & Comet Lovejoy then there is Comet 2012/X1 (LINEAR) over by Arcturus (visible in the evening and morning right now). Now that is an interesting show, worth getting up for.

T1R2
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 06/11/13

Loc: NeverWhere
      #6176778 - 11/05/13 04:26 AM

I think it will be a good naked eye comet that might even be impressive, but I think they missed calculated the speed its traveling and will put on a show a little later than expected........That is, I hope.

Tony Flanders
Postmaster

Re: Comet ISON_Please... new [Re: T1R2]
      #6176900 - 11/05/13 07:46 AM

Quote:

I think it will be a good naked eye comet that might even be impressive

At this point, that's looking extremely unlikely.

Quote:

I think they missed calculated the speed its traveling and will put on a show a little later than expected.

No way! The laws of gravity have been well understood since Isaac Newton, and there's been ample data to calculate the comet's orbit with extreme precision for the better part of a year now. The only thing we can say for sure about the comet is that it -- or whatever is left of it -- will definitely be in a certain spot at a certain time.

C_Moon
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 10/23/09

Loc: Beneath the arms of Cassiopeia
      #6176930 - 11/05/13 08:11 AM

Quote:

The only interesting thing about Comet ISON is that it is in the same part of the sky with two brighter comets: Comet Encke & Comet Lovejoy then there is Comet 2012/X1 (LINEAR) over by Arcturus (visible in the evening and morning right now). Now that is an interesting show, worth getting up for.

I agree. I was able to see all four this past weekend, certainly the only time in the four years I've been heavy into amateur astronomy that I have been able to see four comets in one night. I think for my first year or so there were no comets visible in the range of my scope.

On top of that, I was able to make out a tail on ISON (and Lovejoy), which puts both near the top of the list of Comets I have seen.

T1R2
Pooh-Bah

Re: Comet ISON_Please... new [Re: C_Moon]
      #6178015 - 11/05/13 07:03 PM

So, we know exactly where its going to be, but we can't predict where the ESA's sat. GOCE is going to land? and its orbit is even more well established...

brianb11213
Postmaster

#6178027 - 11/05/13 07:11 PM

Quote:

So, we know exactly where its going to be, but we can't predict where the ESA's sat. GOCE is going to land? and its orbit is even more well established...

A decaying satellite orbit is subject to all sorts of uncertainties because the density of the upper atmosphere is very variable & aerodynamic effects have a huge influence. There is essentially zero drag on a comet therefore its position is much easier to determine well in advance.

T1R2
Pooh-Bah

#6178044 - 11/05/13 07:18 PM

ok, thanks for the clarification

HurricaneWhisper

Reged: 07/28/13

#6178416 - 11/05/13 11:47 PM

I am starting to realize that comets have been out to personally cause me hell ever since the 70's.

Back in the 70's, the news told us that Kahoutek was on it's way and my Dad took me to what was then Louisiana State University in New Orleans so we could find it. This professor taught us all about comets and he even drew pictures on the green blackboards with chalk. I fell asleep after awhile, but then he told us where to go find the comet and my Dad woke me up. Dad tested parts of the Apollo moon rockets and he couldn't hear very well. The Buick Wildcat had a 400 cubic inch V-8 that burned premium leaded gasoline and it didn't have cruise control but it did have this buzzer that would make a sound when you went faster than a speed you set with a needle on the rectangular speedometer. The only problem was that the sound it made was the exact frequency that my Dad couldn't hear so the buzzer buzzed and drove me crazy while I kept my mouth shut and the big Wildcat took us to see the comet at an inordinate rate of speed. My Dad was confident that he was obeying the law as he never heard the buzzer as he blew by every other car on the freeway apparently thinking they were afraid of the 70 mph freeway speed limit. Dad was heading east on 1-10 to this spooky intersection at Michoud Blvd and when we got there we were alone in a dark swamp looking for an invisible comet. Soon enough, all the other people that were awake when the professor told us where to find the comet and didn't determine speed by buzzer sound caught up to us and pulled along the hulking Wildcat as it radiated heat. The invisible Comet Kahoutek wasn't at Michoud and I-10 but it was near Saturn and this lady who didn't fall asleep found it. She showed it to me with her binoculars She didn't quite talk like the professor as far as knowledge went, but there was something about the way she spoke that made you stay awake. I didn't know what an amatuer astronomer's was at the time. And I wouldn't know about them until comet Hale Bopp came after 25 years or so passed passed.

When Hale Bopp came around, I remembered the tiny view of Kahoutek through binoculars. So I went looking for a great big telescope to get a great big view. They had this thing called the internet at the time and after all the ridiculous and annoying noises from the dial up modem stopped, I found out all about amateur astronomers and amateur telescopes. It took forever to find out much from the internet in those days since it worked by making funny noises sort of like the speed buzzer on a Buick Wildcat. So I found out about Dob's and they were real big and I headed off to the store that had them. I went and bought a Celestron 8" Starhopper Dob at Land, Sea & Sky. I wasn't going to be Kahoutec'ed this time. While the Starhopper was definitely a starter scope, I ended up with a pretty nice mirror.

I had no idea that you could see Hale Bopp through the windshield before leaving the suburbs of Houston and while the sky was still blue from the recently set sun.

I set up the Starhopper and I was able to see the hoods.

But the spectacular, unforgettable, wonderous view was through some cheap binoculars I had. The tail was unbelievable.

Fast forward 18 years. I still have the Celestron as well as some really spectacular 10 x 50 and 8 x 35 Nikon birding binoculars that I also got at Land, Sea, & Sky. They aren't the type of Nikon's you will find at a sporting goods store. I found the views better than Swarovski's and Leica's I looked through and they were a little less expensive at $800 to $1000 or so dollars each. Once Hale Bopp caused me to search the new thing called the internet, I found Land, Sea, and Sky. Once I found Land, Sea, and Sky I found out that the view through Leica's and Swarovski's was spectacular and that there was indeed a difference between $1200 binoculars and $50.00 binoculars and once I found the Nikon's, I found all these birds, ducks, alligators other things I had been missing.

I heard about Panstarrs and Ison coming. I remembered the Hake Bopp tail and I started looking into large aperature Astronomy binoculars so I could improve upon the view of the tail. I had figured out that the key to a good comet was to go for as large a field of view as possible. I found that on the basis of FOV, versatility, and economics, that I would probably be better off with a Takahashi Sky 90 than extremely large aperature binoculars. So I went to Land, Sea & Sky again.

We headed out to Big Bend country around Spring Break this year to have a dry run on Panstarrs. There were all sorts of people at this one very well positioned spot. A couple had some Cannons with really big telephoto's on them that I believe are in the $14k range. I had my Sky 90, a Nagler 22 type 4, and a completely inadequate tripod. I wanted wide field to get ready for ISON, the comet of the milleniumTM, and I was using PANSTARRS as a dry run.

Everyone searched the sky but the setting sun left the sky extremely bright. I had downloaded an iphone app, so I had an idea where to look and directed everyone to scan that part of the sky to find the slimmest of slim crescent moons as the comet would be in the vicinity. Having purchased this new Takahashi I wanted it to prove it's worth as a wide field comet viewer with a wide view 2" eyepiece and that meant I ought to be able to find it first compared to the big Cannon telephoto's.

Some person with extremely good naked eyesight found the cresent moon in the beautiful pink sky which wasn't so beautiful for finding a faint comet. Once he spotted it, he pointed it out to us. I honed in on the moon with the Sky 90 and started scanning for the comet. I found it first and let out a yell. We got everybody lined up to move through and view through the Sky 90 while I readjusted to center the view. Panstaar's wasn't much, but I was satisfied with the Sky 90. It was just like when the lady with the binoculars showed me Kohoutec. Except this time, I was the one showing everyone the comet and we were on a super dark, desert dry mountain in Texas instead of a humid swamp next to a dead end intersection off a freeway.

We went back out to some really dark skies about the middle of October when the moon would be gone to try to get an early dry run look at ISON. I had one early morning opportunity before clouds would roll in for the rest of the weekend. I had a hard time as the telrad came off the Celestron and I didn't have much luck finding the comet. I did however, see some spectacular views of Orion's nebula with the new Ethos 13 I just bought to give me a bit more magnification in the middle ranges. The Nagler 22 type 4 had given me a taste of some truly wonderful optics at wide fields and so I went for the Ethos. Until this year, I really didn't have much in the way of eyepieces other than plossl types. The rest of the vacation was great in a non-astronomy way. We saw wildlife including several tarantuala's in the wild deep inside of Big Bend Ranch State Park. We met some park ranger's in the state park that would directly into a Coen brother's film involving Texas if they ever want to top No Country for Old Men.

So this damn comet ISON has been responsible for dragging me to all these beautiful places and great vacations and introduced me to a really portable fast refractor and incredible Nagler and Ethos eyepieces. It's forced me into meeting some wonderful people and given me the opportunity to show them what may have been their first comet. It made me go looking for the Marfa lights and meeting some other cool people having a good time and dragged me out to see the Macdonald observatory.

It caused me to order a Mini Hitch II and to change that order to an FT-1. I am looking at a Really Right Stuff tripod to complete the Sky 90 mount.

It even made me join this web site where I found all sorts of affable, helpful intelligent people and I learned about Sky Tools 3.

I'm going to have my revenge on this horrible comet ISON. I am going to hunt it down. I am going to get up early in the morning and find it even if I have to be dragged into seeing beautiful sunrises and watch the pelicans flying over Galveston Bay.

You hear me ISON! You lousy, elusive, hyped up, underperforming boon for astronomical instrument dealers. I'm going to find you even if it means I have to travel deep into the heart of the darkest skies of Texas. I'll find you and expose you to the world even if I have to go to Land, Sea & Sky again and again. You know I have your number. I also have Starlight instruments number and I'm going to dial you in with their focuser I installed on the Sky 90.

Don't you even think about fizzling. It's been 40 years since I started getting fooled by the likes of you, so throw out the best you got.

Edward E
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Comet ISON_Please... new [Re: HurricaneWhisper]
      #6178895 - 11/06/13 10:02 AM

WOW! what a great post; I feel that I should be jumping over benches and shouting Holy Oort Cloud!

I remember viewing the hoods of Comet Hale Bopp; it was fascinating to see them and see how they changed night to night. That is one of the pleasures of viewing comets. Watch for structure and when visible watching it change.

Edward E
scholastic sledgehammer

#6178898 - 11/06/13 10:03 AM

Nice icon T1R2. What is it?

WesC
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 02/06/13

Loc: La Crescenta, CA
      #6179263 - 11/06/13 01:17 PM

LOL! great post!

nicknacknock
professor emeritus

#6179336 - 11/06/13 01:58 PM Attachment (14 downloads)

Well, I had a great viewing of comet Lovejoy on Saturday. Weather now turned south so no go for ISON for the rest of the week although we may get a window on Saturday or Sunday morning.

Since I am a slave to my dog and get up every morning at 4:30 for a walk (she's a huskie and my self appointed trainer), I might as well delay the walk for an hour and try to bag ISON.

Since ISON is a disappointment, I am hijacking the thread for a moment with a photo of my dog!

T1R2
Pooh-Bah

#6179419 - 11/06/13 02:44 PM Attachment (9 downloads)

its the spaceship from Heavy Metal, an "R" cartoon from 1981, featuring the voices of John Candy, Harold Ramis and others with soundtrack by Black Sabbath, Blue Oyster Cult, Devo, and lots of others

Edit: heres another iconic image from the movie

Edited by T1R2 (11/06/13 02:53 PM)

HurricaneWhisper

Reged: 07/28/13

#6179480 - 11/06/13 03:19 PM

Quote:

Well, I had a great viewing of comet Lovejoy on Saturday. Weather now turned south so no go for ISON for the rest of the week although we may get a window on Saturday or Sunday morning.

Since I am a slave to my dog and get up every morning at 4:30 for a walk (she's a huskie and my self appointed trainer), I might as well delay the walk for an hour and try to bag ISON.

Since ISON is a disappointment, I am hijacking the thread for a moment with a photo of my dog!

He see's things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships off the shoulder of Orion. C-beams glitter in the dark at the Tannhauser Gates.

nicknacknock
professor emeritus

#6180303 - 11/07/13 01:43 AM Attachment (11 downloads)

No go this morning ... Fog everywhere...

T1R2
Pooh-Bah

#6180314 - 11/07/13 02:01 AM

Nice doggie, and a nice pic of what I think are stellar nurseries within a nebula

nicknacknock
professor emeritus

#6180369 - 11/07/13 05:06 AM

Thanx T1R2

Usually walking outside at 4:30 am is a joy.

Many friends up in the sky keep me company; the moon, planets, constellations, Orion's nebula (visible naked eye from my light polluted city)...

If fog + traffic lights counts as a nebula, it was a close encounter of the 17th kind!!!

Illinois
Carpal Tunnel

#6180437 - 11/07/13 07:21 AM

I woke up 4:30 this morning and grab my 10X50 binocular then went outside. Night is clear! I see Leo and Mars. I don't see Comet Ison then I went in to check Sky and Telescope November page 50. Comet should be at Leo's tail and close to around Beta star in Virgo. I went out and look. Still don't find it! I don't see a comet's tail or fuzzy blob of light. I think that comet is much fainter than expect. I don't know. November 17 to 20 should be easier because the comet would be close and pass Spica in Virgo.

Edited by Illinois (11/07/13 07:26 AM)

mattyfatz
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/27/06

Loc: Boise Idaho
      #6180489 - 11/07/13 08:17 AM

I think you should try with a little more aperture. It's faint and its low in the sky. It just looks like a fuzzy out of focus star, and the tail is no noticeable..
And that's with mounted 25x100 binos.
Several apps have updated real time positions of the comet, such as sky safari and distant suns.
Cheers

Tony Flanders
Postmaster

#6180528 - 11/07/13 08:41 AM

Quote:

I think that comet is much fainter than expected.

That's correct -- less than 1% as bright as initial estimates. It's certainly visible, but it's not going to jump out and grab you; you really have to look carefully.

BrooksObs
professor emeritus

#6180604 - 11/07/13 09:30 AM

Quote:

I woke up 4:30 this morning and grab my 10X50 binocular then went outside. Night is clear! I see Leo and Mars. I don't see Comet Ison then I went in to check Sky and Telescope November page 50. Comet should be at Leo's tail and close to around Beta star in Virgo. I went out and look. Still don't find it! I don't see a comet's tail or fuzzy blob of light. I think that comet is much fainter than expect. I don't know. November 17 to 20 should be easier because the comet would be close and pass Spica in Virgo.

First of all, you will require far more detailed charts than those supplied in S&T if you anticipate "sweeping up" C/ISON with just 10x50B, which in themselves are far too small an instrument currently unless your skies are really great.

I would also hasten to point out that beyond November 15th the full moon will severely interfere with spotting the comet with simple binoculars as its positioned becomes rapidly lower with each morning. Even by then C/ISON may still be no more than 7th magnitude and in early twilight except for those with very good eastern horizons.

BrooksObs

Edward E
scholastic sledgehammer

#6180639 - 11/07/13 09:48 AM

Beautiful Dog; sure is more interesting than ISON. Now the dog is "officially" part of topic.

nicknacknock
professor emeritus

#6180674 - 11/07/13 10:08 AM

Thanx Edward

Still, I would like a shot at ISON this weekend - weather permitting. I didn't get a chance with Panstarrs, but had a great viewing of Lovejoy last week and I'd like to top it with ISON. I am not too hopeful for a "Comet of the Century" event, but I will humbly settle for just finding and tracking the sucker!

Every time I look up, I am amazed. So even though ISON may fizzle out, I will still count myself lucky if I spot it before it disappears (if it survives its close encounter with the sun) back into the dark yet mesmerizing abyss of space!

Illinois
Carpal Tunnel

#6180825 - 11/07/13 11:33 AM

Thanks and I just take 10X50 binocular because I thought the comet suppose to be around 5th mag but its not! I don't feel like go to take my 5 inch refractor!

boandpokey
sage

Reged: 07/25/13

Loc: Auburndale, Fl
      #6181001 - 11/07/13 12:53 PM

so new pics where its jetting fgas faster and has a secondary tail now...

Tony Flanders
Postmaster

Re: Comet ISON_Please... new [Re: boandpokey]
      #6181065 - 11/07/13 01:26 PM

Yes, recent reports indicate that it has gained brightness rapidly just in the last few days. Still far below the curve, but improving. I can't vouch for that from personal experience, however.

Edward E
scholastic sledgehammer

#6181159 - 11/07/13 02:11 PM

If it is clear this weekend I will have a look with my 6" f8 Refractor and see what there is to see plus have a look at the other comets.

hazilim
sage

Reged: 09/11/08

Loc: Arizona
      #6181930 - 11/07/13 10:10 PM

I consulted the Astronomy Magazine chart, went out at 4:30AM (3 nights in a row), tried hard to spot ISON. I used a FUJI FMT 7X50 & a Garrett Signature 10X50 binocs. No luck. I think this one is way too dim to find. I'll try again if any change in magnitude is reported.
Bob

Tony Flanders
Postmaster

#6182469 - 11/08/13 08:50 AM

Quote:

Yes, recent reports indicate that it has gained brightness rapidly just in the last few days. Still far below the curve, but improving. I can't vouch for that from personal experience, however.

Well, I took a look this morning, and it has indeed gotten much brighter since the last time I looked. An easy find in my 7-inch scope from outer-suburban skies, and rather attractive at 120X.

The real showpiece, however, is C/2013 R1 (Lovejoy), now moving from Cancer to the head of Leo. It's near the zenith and it's big, bright, and beautiful in 10x30 binoculars. Almost as bright as ISON was forecast to be now, and much better placed in the sky.

stargazer424
sage

Reged: 10/03/05

Loc: Central NJ
      #6182733 - 11/08/13 11:15 AM

I was going to ask this in a new thread, but since one was already made...

Is ISON (et al) worth getting out for? I dpn't sleep well as it is so I cherish my time sleeping, and I am not a fan of the cold. So is it worth getting up at 4 or so in the morning to try and see these? Took me forever to try and spot PANSTARRS.

Tony Flanders
Postmaster

Re: Comet ISON_Please... new [Re: stargazer424]
      #6182861 - 11/08/13 12:22 PM

Quote:

Is ISON (et al) worth getting out for?

No -- not yet, anyway. But C/2013 R1 Lovejoy might be. Or you can stay up past 1 a.m., if you'd rather do it that way.

stargazer424
sage

#6183064 - 11/08/13 02:18 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Is ISON (et al) worth getting out for?

No -- not yet, anyway. But C/2013 R1 Lovejoy might be. Or you can stay up past 1 a.m., if you'd rather do it that way.

Hmm...that might be an option. What should I be expecting to see with Lovejoy in an 8" Dob? Will the tail be visible or just the coma?

Edward E
scholastic sledgehammer

#6183119 - 11/08/13 02:50 PM

Depends on how light polluted your skies are. If your sky is the same color as a basket ball then no but if you can see 3rd mag stars then you should be able to see it. For good finder charts for these comets that are free to download and print go here: Skyhound-Comets

Check out the Planetary & Solar System Observing forum here on CNTR for excellent descriptions of the comet's(s) visual appearance each day.

Edited by Edward E (11/08/13 02:53 PM)

stargazer424
sage

#6183176 - 11/08/13 03:25 PM

Sadly I live in a red zone on the edge of an orange zone. Maybe I will shoot for Lovejoy tonight and save ISON for if/when it starts to shine.

Thanks for the link to the charts!

Looks like Stellarium has the magnitude reversed for ISON and Lovejoy. It says ISON is 6.18 and Lovejoy is 8.97

http://cometchasing.skyhound.com/ says ISON is between 8.1 and 7.7 and Lovejoy is between 6.7 and 5.1

MessiToM
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 12/21/09

Loc: Huntingdon PA
      #6184795 - 11/09/13 02:32 PM

I just cant seem to drag my but out of bed in the AM for ISON. I really should have stayed up just a tad longer last night for lovejoy.

Tony Flanders, I really enjoy seeing you comment in these threads!

Edward E
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Comet ISON_Please... new [Re: MessiToM]
      #6186511 - 11/10/13 12:36 PM

I hear you there. I wanted to get out and have a look this AM but sleep won that fight, plus the sky was filled with cirrus clouds this AM so no observing today. I will try again Monday morning.

Edward E
scholastic sledgehammer

#6191330 - 11/12/13 06:36 PM

I was out and observing @ 4AM today (11/12)from my home in a red zone; found Comet Lovejoy right off the bat and enjoyed viewing it for 30 minutes then there was Comet ISON, please... ; I could not even find it, neither in finder 6X50 (old Edmond Sci Deluxe Finder)nor in the 6" f8 Refractor with a Meade 40 mm wide field eyepiece (30X 1.4d FOV) or the 25mm Orthoscopic (49X 1d FOV). so much for, well you all know.

One the bright side of things there is yet another comet to add to the list in the AM sky; Comet C/2013 V3 (Nevski)is between Leo and Cancer or Cancer and Leo. Here is the link to a finder chart for the new comer:

http://cometchasing.skyhound.com/comets/2013_V3.pdf

The AM sky is getting rather crowded with Solar Dust Bunnies (5 at last count).

Astro_Girl

Reged: 11/12/13

Loc: Texas
      #6192562 - 11/13/13 12:19 PM

Comet Ison maybe brighter than the average bear but even I as a newbie amateur astronomer knew not to expect a "brilliant, dazzling, blindingly and bright comet in the sky" or the "comet of the century" as people imagine it should be by images they conjure up in there heads. As I show the comet, I am excited to find and see it but when showing it on a public event night I feel the general public is greatly disappointed.

Tony Flanders
Postmaster

Re: Comet ISON_Please... new [Re: Astro_Girl]
      #6192790 - 11/13/13 02:34 PM

Quote:

Comet Ison maybe brighter than the average bear but even I as a newbie amateur astronomer knew not to expect a "brilliant, dazzling, blindingly and bright comet in the sky" or the "comet of the century" as people imagine it should be.

Even the most optimistic predictions wouldn't have made Comet ISON dazzling at this point. Realistically, the best we could possibly have expected in mid-November was a comet much like Lovejoy -- faintly visible to the unaided eye from dark locations, and quite impressive through binoculars.

All that "Comet of the Century" stuff was supposed to happen at or immediately after perihelion, in late November and early December. And in fact, it's still possible that it may put on a good naked-eye show in early December.

Comet of the Century? That was always stretching the facts, even in the most optimistic scenario.

Edward E
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Comet ISON_Please... new [Re: Astro_Girl]
      #6192904 - 11/13/13 03:44 PM

Don't let the "disappointed public" curve your enthusiasm. Keep observing and showing the public what you find exciting and relay it to them. Your enthusiasm will shine through and inspire others to stop, look, listen and ask questions for themselves. Then, "who knows what dreams may come". Without the amateur astronomy community I fear that the public would forget that there is anything in the sky after dark, except the moon.

Are these your first comets to observe?

Edward E
scholastic sledgehammer

#6192916 - 11/13/13 03:53 PM

We will find out, though, I'm of the opinion that the comet will not survive its brush with the Sun, but if it does another "Comet PANStarr" would not be bad either. Comet P was fun to watch as it changed over time last winter/spring. During star parties people were so thrilled to see Comet P even when it was still bright twilight and you could just barely see it in a scope.

mattyfatz
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/27/06

Loc: Boise Idaho
      #6194149 - 11/14/13 08:59 AM

I've been reading up on this comet a bit. It seems that the hype was triggered by the circumstances following its initial discovery. Shortly after it was spotted, while it was still out beyond the orbit of Mars, the comet was sporting a tail. It is unusual for a tail to occur that far out. That tail has since disappeared, and has been replaced by a more common type. Astronomers think that since this comet is making its first journey from the Oort Cloud, it had a layer of irradiated ice and dust on the outside that formed this early tail. Most of the comets we've observed are periodic, and even if there orbit is 70,000 years
(like Hyakutake for example) this initial outer layer of ice and dust has blown off a long time ago.
So even if it doesn't perform as brilliantly as we anticipated, it's still a significant visitor. It is a good chance to see a comet that is making its first journey from the Oort Cloud. When showing it to the public, or explaining it to non astronomy types.. I try to emphasize this aspect of the comets significance. If you think about it.. It's really a comet of many centuries.

Edited by mattyfatz (11/14/13 09:32 PM)

Dave Mitsky
Postmaster

Re: Comet ISON_Please... new [Re: mattyfatz]
      #6194564 - 11/14/13 01:11 PM

Comet ISON just experienced an outburst and has brightened to fifth magnitude, according to the report at http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/6194029/page...

A time-lapse video of the comet rising this morning is posted at http://blog.cajunastro.com/?cat=6

See http://www.skyandtelescope.com/observing/highlights/Comet-ISON-Comes-to-Life-... for additional information.

Dave Mitsky

Tony Flanders
Postmaster

#6194702 - 11/14/13 02:19 PM

Quote:

It is probably the only comet we will ever get to see, that is making its first journey from the Oort Cloud.

I don't think that's right; freshly arrived comets are quite common.

In general, it's impossible to tell for sure, because the difference between a million-year orbit and one coming in fresh from infinity (the Oort Cloud counts as infinity) is too small to measure. For that matter, we typically can't rule out the possibility that they arrived from beyond the Oort Cloud, from interstellar space. But as far as I know, no asteroid or comet has ever been confirmed for sure as an interstellar visitor.

Note that orbits get perturbed by the planets, especially Jupiter. So something that starts out as a fresh arrival may end up as a periodic comet -- or be ejected entirely from the solar system.

BrooksObs
professor emeritus

#6194752 - 11/14/13 02:55 PM

Quote:

So even if it doesn't perform as brilliantly as we anticipated, it's still a significant visitor. It is probably the only comet we will ever get to see, that is making its first journey from the Oort Cloud. When showing it to the public, or explaining it to non astronomy types.. I try to emphasize this aspect of the comets significance. If you think about it.. It's really the comet of many centuries.

In fact, comets from the Oort Cloud are really not all that uncommon. I've watched many of them come and go over the years. This is why, if you listen to the right people, you will have heard months ago that ISON could never possibly developed as first publicized (i.e. brighter than the full moon). Actually, it is performing rather similarly to most of its previous Oort Cloud brethren, except perhaps for today's major outburst. Comet Kohoutek was a dynamically "new" comet, as was more recent Comet Austin in 1989; both heralded as likely to become comet's of the century, which neither did.

Likewise, the unperturbed orbital elements of a comet prior to its entering the realm of the planets can be calculated given a long enough observed arc of the orbit. Even those with million year periods can show a just detectible deviation from e=1.0 and most Oort Cloud comets can even be slightly hyperbolic. However, a true interstellar comet is anticipated to be highly hyperbolic and this has never been seen.

BrooksObs

starcrafter

Reged: 08/06/13

Loc: Scranton, PA
      #6195015 - 11/14/13 05:08 PM

So, at this point, is ISON or Lovejoy bright enough to be seen by a 60mm refractor (the same one from the $24.99 refractor thread)? The skies in my area are *BLEEP*, and because of that I don't feel like taking the 70 mile round trip to my dark site for observing.

I'd probably have to set up at a local park, which would have some significant ambient light pollution.

boandpokey
sage

Reged: 07/25/13

Loc: Auburndale, Fl
Re: Comet ISON_Please... new [Re: starcrafter]
      #6195060 - 11/14/13 05:30 PM

ison will be much easier to see its had a dust and gas outburst..

Dave Mitsky
Postmaster

#6195231 - 11/14/13 06:56 PM

Quote:

So, at this point, is ISON or Lovejoy bright enough to be seen by a 60mm refractor (the same one from the $24.99 refractor thread)? The skies in my area are *BLEEP*, and because of that I don't feel like taking the 70 mile round trip to my dark site for observing.

I'd probably have to set up at a local park, which would have some significant ambient light pollution.

Both comets should be visible through a 60mm refractor.

Dave Mitsky

Edward E
scholastic sledgehammer

#6195263 - 11/14/13 07:10 PM

Not sure on ISON but Lovejoy was easily seen in my 6X50 finder Wednesday morning.

Tony Flanders
Postmaster

#6195300 - 11/14/13 07:30 PM

Quote:

So, at this point, is ISON or Lovejoy bright enough to be seen by a 60mm refractor (the same one from the $24.99 refractor thread)?

Easily. I saw Lovejoy on Wednesday morning from my local city park through 10x30 binoculars. I was expecting to have to work at it, but in fact the comet was instantly obvious -- quite bright, really -- as soon as I started sweeping the area.

By all reports, ISON is now (or was this morning) even brighter than Lovejoy. However, it's also much lower in the sky, which is a definitely handicap.

djpontone

Reged: 04/27/08

#6196016 - 11/15/13 07:01 AM

Saw comet ison this morning at sandy hook nj it,s a classic comet nice long fan tail bright coma 6 mag. easy in 16x70 bino cannot wait till december, hope for the best.

rdandrea
Carpal Tunnel

#6196043 - 11/15/13 07:49 AM

Quote:

So, at this point, is ISON or Lovejoy bright enough to be seen by a 60mm refractor?

Lovejoy has been easy in my 12x60 binos. ISON was a struggle until this morning (I didn't go out yesterday) but this morning it was instantly obvious in the 12x60s even though three inconsiderate neighbors had left their porch lights on. As an experiment, I went inside and grabbed my 7x50s and both were also easy in the 7x50s. I would say Lovejoy is more fan-shaped than ISON--ISON's tail was more "spikey" to me in the binos. I could see about 1.5 degrees of it in the 12x60s handheld (probably more if I hadn't been too lazy to set up a tripod).

So you should have no trouble in a 60mm scope at low power. Just do it soon as you don't have too much "dark of the moon" left.

Come to think of it, I should have looked for Nevski too but morning twilight is already upon us here in Colorado. Oh well.

rdandrea
Carpal Tunnel

#6196044 - 11/15/13 07:50 AM

Quote:

Comet of the Century? That was always stretching the facts, even in the most optimistic scenario.

Well, it's been a short century so far.

Tony Flanders
Postmaster

#6196062 - 11/15/13 08:14 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Well, it's been a short century so far.

Yeah, but McNaught C/2006 P1 has already set a pretty high bar.

Guillaume_8667

Reged: 08/01/13

Loc: Roseland, New Jersey
      #6196073 - 11/15/13 08:26 AM

I set up my telescope lastnight before going to bed so that I could wake up this morning to check on Lovejoy and ISON but 5am looked outside and I'm looking at the next 10days forecast it's all cloudy/partycloudy/rain

I was wondering if someone has give a try at Lovejoy in the evening as Stellarium indicate Lovejoy rising NE at 10.30pm ET?

rdandrea
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Comet ISON_Please... new [Re: Guillaume_8667]
      #6196081 - 11/15/13 08:31 AM

Quote:

I was wondering if someone has give a try at Lovejoy in the evening as Stellarium indicate Lovejoy rising NE at 10.30pm ET?

Since it's just about straight overhead at 5:00 AM, it should be easy at about 1:30. The trouble is, you'll have the Moon to contend with.

orion61

Reged: 10/20/07

Loc: Birthplace James T Kirk
      #6197021 - 11/15/13 07:19 PM

could be the Comet of the Century (so far) were only in the 13th year of it, we have 87 years to go!, personally, I think I.S.O.N's a KLINKER!

steveward53
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 05/14/12

Loc: Newmarket,UK
Re: Comet ISON_Please... new [Re: orion61]
      #6197627 - 11/16/13 04:16 AM

Unimpressed with Comet ISON are you ... ???

Then best you check out the latest images from Mr Damian Peach , they are stunning ...

http://www.damianpeach.com/deepsky/c2012_s1_2013_11_15dp.jpg

http://www.damianpeach.com/deepsky/c2012_s1_2013_11_15dp_neg.jpg

I just hope it survives its encounter with the Sun and emerges on the other side intact and ready to put on a show.

nicknacknock
professor emeritus

Re: Comet ISON_Please... new [Re: steveward53]
      #6197629 - 11/16/13 04:23 AM

Looked quite impressive this morning at 5am. If someone ignores the hoopla about it being "comet of the century" and just enjoy it as a spectacular comet, it is a beautiful sight.

I mean we've been all hammered by all the hype by scope manufacturers and astronomy magazines for about a year...

Still, I hope as Steve mentions above that it survives its solar encounter and grace us with unique views later...

SabiaJD
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 02/20/05

Loc: Clarks Summit, PA
      #6197796 - 11/16/13 09:09 AM

Based on my view of ISON this morning Nov 16, 2013 5:51 am and 10 x 50 binocular, it would be wise to stick to a local park or dark site than travel 70 miles.

Saw a 4 arc minute coma, without a tail in twilight conditions.

Especially since the cloudy sky conditions, that were remarkable very clear this morning in spite of last nights mostly mostly skies.

This caught me by surprise, but I was able to get my first visual sighting this morning by chance.

The remainder of the weekend calls for cloud cover with rain showers.

In a e-mail from another local observer, yesterday, he easily found comet ISON in his 72mm short tube refractor telescope.

Good Luck
John D Sabia

Feidb
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 10/09/09

Loc: Nevada
Re: Comet ISON_Please... new [Re: SabiaJD]
      #6197861 - 11/16/13 09:52 AM

I tried this morning from my street (Nov 16th) and couldn't see a thing with 7X35 binos. Not even a hint. The sky was a bit bright and thin clouds were in the area so I know that didn't help. However, I thought I'd at least see something. Not so for the dud of the century. Maybe I'll try again tomorrow morning. Maybe I'll try again tomorrow morning.

The first attempt was at 4:35 but high thin clouds obscured Spica so I didn't even bother. At 5:15 I could see the star patterns around Spica and Porrima but no dice. Just wasn't there.

nicknacknock
professor emeritus

Re: Comet ISON_Please... new [Re: Feidb]
      #6198100 - 11/16/13 12:31 PM Attachment (16 downloads)

ISON was a bit far away from Spica this morning.

Even though the Moon will be up tomorrow morning till 6am, give it a try if you can.

Tomorrow morning ISON will be less than 4 degrees above and slightly to the right of Spica. I attach a quick screen grab from SkySafari.

Edited by nicknacknock (11/16/13 12:39 PM)

Sonomajfk

Reged: 06/30/12

Loc: northern CA, USA
      #6198344 - 11/16/13 03:25 PM

Finally found ISON this morning sometime after 5:00, but it was not easy in 15x70 binoculars; I don't think I could have spotted it with my 7x50's but I didn't try. Comet Lovejoy, almost directly overhead, was much easier, even with the moon still shining. I might try the refractor tomorrow now that I know where to look, although it's almost too late before Spica clears the trees on my horizon.

star drop
Snowed In

Reged: 02/02/08

Loc: Snow Plop, WNY
Re: Comet ISON_Please... new [Re: Sonomajfk]
      #6198648 - 11/16/13 06:18 PM

This morning the sky was slowly clearing and by around 6:00 a.m. I found ISON in handheld 10x70 binoculars. It was a small ball with a minuscule tail and the slightest hint of the tail being much longer, somewhat like a diminutive contrail. The twilight wiped it out at around 6:30.

MessiToM
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Comet ISON_Please... new [Re: star drop]
      #6200381 - 11/17/13 05:47 PM

Nicknackknock. How did you get a telrad retical in SkySafari?

Glen A W
sage

Reged: 07/04/08

Loc: WEST VIRGINIA USA
Re: Comet ISON_Please... new [Re: Feidb]
      #6200451 - 11/17/13 06:22 PM

Quote:

I tried this morning from my street (Nov 16th) and couldn't see a thing with 7X35 binos. Not even a hint. The sky was a bit bright and thin clouds were in the area so I know that didn't help. However, I thought I'd at least see something. Not so for the dud of the century. Maybe I'll try again tomorrow morning. Maybe I'll try again tomorrow morning.

The first attempt was at 4:35 but high thin clouds obscured Spica so I didn't even bother. At 5:15 I could see the star patterns around Spica and Porrima but no dice. Just wasn't there.

Kind of mean to comet that's just doing the best it can to get by in the world... Your instrument is a little small, there. I was leaning toward it being a dud too, but these past two weeks have put it into the "respectable" category for me. I would not, however, want to observe right now with less than 80mm, and 100 would be a better bet. I could see plenty of tail on Friday morning with a 4 inch refractor. GW

Glen A W
sage

Re: Comet ISON_Please... new [Re: rnc39560]
      #6200458 - 11/17/13 06:27 PM

Quote:

Hale Bopp was indeed a sight! In south MS on our property you could see it CLEARLY naked eye. So much so my older sis said she would be glad when it was gone because she thought it looked unnatural. Lol!

Your sister was not the only one. Hale-Bopp was a _different_ kind of comet. Despite not really coming all that close to Sun or Earth, it was bright, bright, bright. I felt it looked almost like a fake comet in some bad sci-fi movie. I liked Hyakutake, the year before, much better.

I also hope ISON will not be dirtied by something horrible done in its name. GW

rnc39560
Pooh-Bah

Re: Comet ISON_Please... new [Re: Glen A W]
      #6200528 - 11/17/13 07:05 PM

A big ditto on that, Glen!

rnc39560
Pooh-Bah

#6200535 - 11/17/13 07:08 PM

Yeah, its makes a jump in performance, and I get clouds for a week! Lol... probably be to low to see before they (clouds) leave.

BrooksObs
professor emeritus

#6200866 - 11/17/13 11:12 PM

A few points of general interest and information.

Today, on the cable Science channel, I noticed them advertising a "special" entitled "SuperComet ISON 2013", scheduled for December 7th...at which point I sorta cringed! The over enthusiastic announcer once more brought up the utterly impossible idea of the comet becoming brighter then the full moon and similar nonsense! Talk about setting themselves up to look like fools...

Regarding the real world and ISON's current surprising change, I would advise curbing some portion of the renewed enthusiasm I'm seeing here, at least just a bit. The comet's recent sudden brightening could signal any of several dramatically different scenarios could be in play.

1. The only optimistic one of these would be that something about the nucleus has altered. Perhaps a broad new region of volatiles has become exposed. Or maybe solar heating has now reached deep enough into the nucleus to access some previously shielded large deposits of volatiles. On rather rare occasions such has permanently boosted a comet's intrinsic brightness. Were it to be so, an impression display from C/ISON might indeed be in the offing.

2. Less promising and much more likely to be true, the brightness outburst may be nothing more than a relatively brief episode in the comet's behavior. If so, C/ISON will return to its former brightness state within a week or so.

3. The recently observed aspects of the brightening also strongly resemble some break-up events I've seen. If this were a major disruption it could signal the beginning of the end for C/ISON. Any true disruption event would cause the comet's disappear before ever reaching perihelion and we would probably see virtually nothing come December.

So...I'd hold myself in check for a bit yet before suggesting even to myself that everything is now OK with ISON and a big show I about to begin. In additional, I would point out that, even in outburst, C/ISON is still relatively faint for a major comet situated within 0.5 a.u. of the Sun.

BrooksObs

Edited by BrooksObs (11/17/13 11:13 PM)

nicknacknock
professor emeritus

Re: Comet ISON_Please... new [Re: MessiToM]
      #6200958 - 11/18/13 12:37 AM

Hi MessiTom,

Settings\Display\Crosshairs and while you are at it, change the finder to 4 degrees, 2 degrees and 1 degree to simulate a Telrad, otherwise fix the FOV to match your finderscope.

CS,

Nick

Tony Flanders
Postmaster

#6201910 - 11/18/13 03:27 PM

Quote:

Today, on the cable Science channel, I noticed them advertising a "special" entitled "SuperComet ISON 2013", scheduled for December 7th...at which point I sorta cringed! The over enthusiastic announcer once more brought up the utterly impossible idea of the comet becoming brighter then the full moon and similar nonsense!

Ugh! But better than The Telegraph, which is promising "one in a lifetime galactic fireworks," and "the greatest celestial display in 300 years."

bob irvin
sage

Reged: 03/22/11

Loc: Greater Los Angeles, CA
Re: Comet ISON_Please...What am I seeing?? new [Re: nicknacknock]
      #6201921 - 11/18/13 03:31 PM

I've been following the posts on ISCON & what I've observed doen't seem to jive.....

Been out 2 mornings now looking for ISCON. This morning and yesterday morning. I can see Spica clearly but haven't been able to see the comet through my 7x50 binocs.

HOWEVER

Also for two these same two mornings when it becomes brighter I've seen a very bright object about 1 degree long in exactly the same position (ESE) both mornings. Through the binocs it appears to have a core to the lower left and a very distinctive tail going to about the 2:00 position. This was clearly visible to the unaided eye and this AM I say it with the sun just becoming visible above the horizon.

Any thoughts, is the comet for a coincidental contrail in exactly the same position looking exactly the same both mornings??

bob

Edited by bob irvin (11/18/13 03:32 PM)

Mirzam
Post Laureate

Reged: 04/01/08

Loc: Lovettsville, VA
Re: Comet ISON_Please...What am I seeing?? new [Re: bob irvin]
      #6202070 - 11/18/13 04:47 PM

Based on the brightness you describe it must have been contrails. ISON is 5th magnitude and not visible as a bright naked eye object.

JimC

MessiToM
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Comet ISON_Please...What am I seeing?? new [Re: Mirzam]
      #6202218 - 11/18/13 06:09 PM

Thank you. Unfortunately that option isn't in my SkySafari app. Perhaps I don't have the full enough version.

Chuck Hards
Post Laureate

Reged: 05/03/10

Loc: The Great Basin
Re: Comet ISON_Please...What am I seeing?? new [Re: MessiToM]
      #6202309 - 11/18/13 06:53 PM

It was practially right on top of Spica this morning. Between the glare of the star, and the moonlight, I couldn't see it at all in binos, whereas it was obvious a couple of days ago when I last looked.

Ed Holland
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 06/16/10

Loc: San Jose, CA and Oxford, UK
      #6202639 - 11/18/13 09:54 PM

If that is The Telegraph that I grew up with, they probably just got word of Sir Edmund Halley's notes on comets...

I looked yesterday shortly after 06:00 hours, using 7x50 binos and could not find ISON. The sky was already too bright perhaps. Now we have a weather system moving in over Northern California, so there will be no observing of any kind for a day or two.

Ed

nicknacknock
professor emeritus

Re: Comet ISON_Please...What am I seeing?? new [Re: MessiToM]
      #6202913 - 11/19/13 01:01 AM

MessiTom, you need to have the version that has telescope control (plus and pro?) to get this setting.

DarkSkys
professor emeritus

Reged: 10/11/10

Loc: In the dark desert of Eastern ...
      #6202918 - 11/19/13 01:02 AM

Quote:

A few points of general interest and information.

Today, on the cable Science channel, I noticed them advertising a "special" entitled "SuperComet ISON 2013", scheduled for December 7th...at which point I sorta cringed! The over enthusiastic announcer once more brought up the utterly impossible idea of the comet becoming brighter then the full moon and similar nonsense! Talk about setting themselves up to look like fools...

BrooksObs

I just saw that, all I can say is : Facepalm:.

Montie
sage

Reged: 09/09/09

Loc: Cartersville, GA
Re: Comet ISON_Please... new [Re: DarkSkys]
      #6203091 - 11/19/13 07:07 AM

Saw ISON this morning at 545am using my Zhumell Tachyon 25 x 100's - very low above the tree line on my horizon here in North GA. Easy to pick out from the background stars and hopping to it from Spica was about 2 bino FOV's and not difficult. Noticable tail and nice coma - but overall very small.

Tony Flanders
Postmaster

#6203229 - 11/19/13 08:56 AM

Quote:

I've been following the posts on ISCON & what I've observed doen't seem to jive.....

Been out 2 mornings now looking for ISCON. This morning and yesterday morning. I can see Spica clearly but haven't been able to see the comet through my 7x50 binocs.

That jibes perfectly with the reports. I did in fact see ISON this morning through my 10x30 binoculars -- a very faint star barely visible in ridiculously strong skyglow, ever so slightly fuzzy, and possibly even showing a hint of its tail. It was clearly brighter than the 5.5-magnitude star 86 Virginis to its lower left, so I would estimate it at magnitude 5.0.

That is 40 times fainter than Spica. So if seeing Spica was even an issue worth mentioning, there's no way you could have seen the comet.

Illinois
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Comet ISON_Please...What am I seeing?? new [Re: Tony Flanders]
      #6203271 - 11/19/13 09:18 AM Attachment (25 downloads)

I woke up 4:3o this morning and grab my 5 inch refractor. I have nice flat open field and no corn! At 5:00 am I can see Comet Ison at 40 power. 24mm eyepiece. Its small but bright coma and very faint tail. I used 10X50 binocular and very hard to see it. Comet look better at between 5:30 and 6:00 in morning. I see Mercury very clearly and its low. Not easy to see the comet because of the Moon is bright that I can see shadow everywhere and light pollution is low at east. I live in yellow zone. Cold outside 27 degrees. I finished little after 6 then zoom to bed for 1 hour! Here's picture of I draw Comet Ison at 40 power.

BrooksObs
professor emeritus

Re: Comet ISON_Please...What am I seeing?? new [Re: Illinois]
      #6203550 - 11/19/13 11:31 AM

A few additional remarks updating C/ISON's situation following its recent photometric outburst.

As of this morning (Nov 19th), although there were indications that there was some fading on the day or two immediately following last week's reported outburst's peaking, the latest sightings (most of them admittedly made under increasingly unfavorable sky conditions that involve growing twilight and moonlight interference) do imply that the comet's enhanced brightness is holding. It may have even increased somewhat in just the past 24 hours. This is a very good sign.

Working from the standard, if really nowadays a bit outmoded assumption that a comet's brightness varies as the inverse 4th power of its solar distance (as used in my widely cited Perihelion Survival Law paper published 20+ years ago), the current situation with C/ISON becomes more favorable. Formerly C/ISON seemed to have a so-called absolute magnitude of no more than +9.0 , placing it far below the assumed +7.5 needed for its perihelion survival. Under that situation, C/ISON should have had virtually no probability of surviving its brush with the Sun on November 28th.

Current events involving the comet's brightness now imply C/ISON's intrinsic magnitude has brightened to at least a +8.0 . This makes it much more likely for the comet to at least squeak by to put on a post-perihelion show of some sort.

Continuing observations over the next few days will be critical in ascertaining exactly what will become of the comet as it rounds the Sun and what observers may expect thereafter.

BrooksObs

Edited by BrooksObs (11/19/13 11:45 AM)

bob irvin
sage

Reged: 03/22/11

Loc: Greater Los Angeles, CA
      #6204202 - 11/19/13 05:20 PM

Quote:

Based on the brightness you describe it must have been contrails. ISON is 5th magnitude and not visible as a bright naked eye object.

JimC

Yea, that's what I was afraid of. Just seemed awfully coincidental that two would show up in exactly the same spot having exactly the same comet like appearance.
thanks for the reply

Tony Flanders
Postmaster

#6204214 - 11/19/13 05:27 PM

Quote:

Just seemed awfully coincidental that two would show up in exactly the same spot having exactly the same comet like appearance.

Not so strange, if you think about it. Airplanes follow fixed schedules, especially in the early morning before the schedules have been bolluxed by traffic and unexpected eventualities.

So given the same wind pattern -- which tends to hold in similar (clear) weather -- you would expect airplanes to be in the same place and the same time day after day.

Remy Bosio
Uber Curmudgeon

Reged: 03/02/04

Re: Comet ISON_Please...What am I seeing?? new [Re: nicknacknock]
      #6204215 - 11/19/13 05:27 PM

I got this from CN'er Barry Simon this morning.

http://theskylive.com/ison-tracker

Ed Holland
Pooh-Bah

Re: Comet ISON_Please...What am I seeing?? new [Re: Remy Bosio]
      #6204395 - 11/19/13 06:53 PM

Comic circumstances this morning in my endeavor to see ISON. We were woken unexpectedly at 4:30am by a forgotten alarm on my wife's phone. Might as well look for ISON, I thought.. Now, where did I put those binos? Not where I left them in the music room?..no. perhaps in the downstairs room where I'm starting to organize the optics?..no. Perhaps back in the bedroom closet?.. no. "Did you see the comet?" asked Mrs H. "Not yet... can't find the binoculars"
"Oh, I put them in the cabinet in the front room.

With renewed enthusiasm I found the glasses, pulled them from the case and only then did my sleepy logic prompt a look outside the front door. At this point I remembered the wet weather forecast for today...

What a twit I felt...

Edited by Ed Holland (11/19/13 06:55 PM)

jloweva

Reged: 01/09/12

Re: Comet ISON_Please...What am I seeing?? new [Re: Ed Holland]
      #6204693 - 11/19/13 09:28 PM

Went hunting this morning in Alexandria, VA with my C11. Was pretty cloudy, but did get some clear views. Overall, pretty disappointing, even with my lightbucket. Nearly full moon likely didn't help. Couldn't make out any tail, but then again Northern Virginia isn't the best vantage.

stringpickin

Reged: 11/02/13

Re: Comet ISON_Please...What am I seeing?? new [Re: jloweva]
      #6204962 - 11/20/13 12:02 AM

I saw ison as a pretty bright enlongated blur on the morning of the 17th with my little 4.5" dob, with my baader zoom at 8mm with the 2.25 barlow(equiv 3.5mm). about x125. It didn't stay visible for long as the sunlight washed it out pretty quickly. But it was awesome to catch it..

Edward E
scholastic sledgehammer

#6205387 - 11/20/13 10:12 AM

Nice sketch of Comet ISON. Alas, too many houses, trees and a mountain to my East to see the ISON now, not to mention the cloudy weather were are now having.

Edward E
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Comet ISON_Please...What am I seeing?? new [Re: Remy Bosio]
      #6205389 - 11/20/13 10:14 AM

Quote:

I got this from CN'er Barry Simon this morning.

http://theskylive.com/ison-tracker

That is a nice web tool to use for finding comets and the outer planets. I have book marked it. Thanks!

james867
sage

Reged: 02/07/11

Loc: Southern Illinois
Re: Comet ISON_Please...What am I seeing?? new [Re: Edward E]
      #6206985 - 11/21/13 06:35 AM

I saw ison yesterday morning about 5:40 a.m. in my binoculars.I couldn't see a tail but did see the core surrounded by a fuzzy cloud.There were so many people going to work and I was getting headlights in my eyes,a street light just below ison from my position,the sun was coming up,and a few thin clouds were rapidly moving east.The seeing conditions were not quite optimal but I did see it.

BrooksObs
professor emeritus

Re: Comet ISON_Please...What am I seeing?? new [Re: james867]
      #6207127 - 11/21/13 08:50 AM

Mostly cloudy here at 4 a.m., but clearing slowly. By 5 a.m. the only remaining clouds (of course) were occupying only a very low strip in the east right over the comet's position. I sat outside on my back deck in the +17 degree cold from 5:30 onward. At 5:45 a.m. ISON popped into view right at the top of the clouds and tree line!

Just as with yesterday: a small, round, extremely intense coma, this time showing a short faint tail pointing just to the north of due west against the growing twilight sky. Comet's head very obvious in the growing twilight. Unlike yesterday, there were a couple of more suitable comparison stars available allowing for a reasonably good magnitude determination.

As of November 21.45UT, I rated the comet's total magnitude at 4.0 and while no actual coma diameter measurement was taken, the coma was right around 3' in diameter, with a DC of 8. ISON's brightness this morning indicates it is steady brightening now and it places the comet's assumed "absolute" magnitude right astride of my empirically determined survival/nonsurvival cut-off line. Short faint tail seen extending about 0.5 degree. Instrument was 15x70 binoculars.

All this I regard as very promising for something quite significant to be seen from ISON come the early days of December.

BrooksObs

Seanem44
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 09/22/11

Loc: Woodbridge, VA
Re: Comet ISON_Please...What am I seeing?? new [Re: BrooksObs]
      #6207732 - 11/21/13 03:12 PM

So here is my question.....

IF Ison survives.... what is the first day after perihelion that it should provide a good view? From what I see, it still shows that viewing it is roughly the same time, an hour before sunrise.

rdandrea
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Comet ISON_Please...What am I seeing?? new [Re: Seanem44]
      #6208019 - 11/21/13 05:30 PM

Quote:

So here is my question.....

IF Ison survives.... what is the first day after perihelion that it should provide a good view? From what I see, it still shows that viewing it is roughly the same time, an hour before sunrise.

Plugging some dates and times into Stellarium and assuming the latest MPC elements are right, it should be about Dec 8 or so. Stellarium shows the head right about at the horizon just after sunset on the 9th. If it has much of a tail, as it should having just achieved perihelion, you should see a tail sticking up from the western horizon a couple of days earlier.

If it's REALLY bright, like maybe a daytime object, who knows? I'm still betting the 7th or 8th for all practical purposes.

Edward E
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Comet ISON_Please...What am I seeing?? new [Re: rdandrea]
      #6208182 - 11/21/13 06:57 PM

Holy dirty snowball batman!... Will our careening comet make it past Sol?! Will it have a tail?! Will it be the Comet of the Century?! Tune in to SOHO (Solar Heliospheric Observatory) next week and find out! Same SOHO webpage, same SOHO time. NaNaNaNa Cooometttt, NaNaNa Coometttt.

Sorry, I could not resist.

rdandrea
Carpal Tunnel

#6208332 - 11/21/13 08:45 PM

Quote:

Sorry, I could not resist.

You probably should have, since you imparted no useful information.

Glen A W
sage

#6208378 - 11/21/13 09:10 PM

I thought it was funny....

We could be a couple of weeks away from a great display. There is no way to know, but get those scopes ready and make plans to head to your good horizon if need be. I am so excited, I can hardly stand it.

Tony Flanders
Postmaster

#6208817 - 11/22/13 06:08 AM

Quote:

I would say that is absolutely impossible to answer. Remember that the tail of Comet McNaught put on a great show after perihelion for people at dark sites in the Northern Hemisphere even though its head never rose above the horizon.

On the off-chance that ISON develops a really long tail, it could be visible as early as December 1st.

ISON's visibility from the Northern Hemisphere improves rapidly, since it's more or less making a bee line for Polaris after perihelion.

Mirzam
Post Laureate

Reged: 04/01/08

Loc: Lovettsville, VA
Re: Comet ISON_Please...What am I seeing?? new [Re: Glen A W]
      #6208879 - 11/22/13 08:04 AM

The comet will mainly be visible in the morning sky. The tail may be much brighter, and hopefully longer. It may be visible for several days before the comet head itself reaches a high enough elevation to clear the morning twilight.

JimC

Seanem44
scholastic sledgehammer

#6208890 - 11/22/13 08:16 AM

So Really, from this point on, due to how low it will be in MID Lats, ISON won't really reemerge again until around DEC 1st if it survives.

Tony Flanders
Postmaster

#6208931 - 11/22/13 08:49 AM

Quote:

So Really, from this point on, due to how low it will be in MID Lats, ISON won't really reemerge again until around DEC 1st if it survives.

It's actually just about as well placed as you could possibly hope as viewed from mid-northern latitudes.

The reason it will be difficult or impossible to see within a few days of perihelion is simply that it will be very, very close to the Sun.

BrooksObs
professor emeritus

Re: Comet ISON_Please...What am I seeing?? new [Re: Tony Flanders]
      #6208946 - 11/22/13 09:06 AM

As a point of information, any tail presented by ISON in the first few days following its perihelion, although potentially very bright, will be relatively short. Like all sungrazing/sunskirting comets, ISON is likely to completely loose its pre-perihelion tail as it round's the Sun and must then begin to grow a totally new one. This will, obviously, start as a very short appendage that will initially grow by 1-3 degrees per day for the first week following perihelion passage and more slowly thereafter.

All that said, I think it is rather overly optimistic to feel that anything of the comet will be detected visually in the eastern sky prior to the morning of December 3rd, or perhaps the 4th.

BrooksObs

Edited by BrooksObs (11/22/13 09:07 AM)

rdandrea
Carpal Tunnel

#6209022 - 11/22/13 09:43 AM

Quote:

I thought it was funny....

Actually, I did too.

bbbriggs

Reged: 04/10/09

Loc: Graham WA
      #6209038 - 11/22/13 09:50 AM

Well having a clear morning in the Northwest I got up at 5:00 am got out my Sky and Telescope finder chart and started looking. I easily found Mercury and started looking around a little to the right with my 16 x 70 binos and could not find anything. Got motivated to pull out the big gun and set the 20 x 110's up on a tripod. Lo and behold a faint barely visible smudge a degree or so to the right of Mercury. Looked at it for a while in the 20 degree cold then the sky got too bright to see it. Now that I know where to look I will be checking it out if it is clear. Hopefully after it goes around the sun it will brighten up a bit. Not exactly the comet of the century but I was glad to have seen it.

Edward E
scholastic sledgehammer

#6209057 - 11/22/13 09:57 AM

Sure I did; if you want to watch and see what Comet ISON does as it passes perihelion you can do so by viewing the SOHO website and watch the animated loops. This was done for Comet McNaught and several other comets. The SOHO homepage has an article specifically for Comet ISON's passage and what instruments FOV the comet can be seen in. Just 3 weeks ago there was a bright comet that showed up in the FOV of SOHO, sadly it did not survive intact but for a few days it had a magnificent tail of 4 degrees. The SOHO images were the only place to see that comet.

Edward E
scholastic sledgehammer

#6209073 - 11/22/13 10:06 AM

I will have my C11 atop Mt. Lemmon at the overlook with a perfect eastern horizon view and no light pollution from Tucson (if ISON survives) and try to get some pics of the tail (if it has one) rising above the distant mountains. I had a test run last winter with Comet PanStarr with that setup. This time I will have a dark sky to setup the goto system so I should be able to get to the correct point before the comet rises.

Seanem44
scholastic sledgehammer

#6209092 - 11/22/13 10:14 AM

Cloudy and rainy here on the East coast.

Not supposed to break until Sunday morning. I fear by then ISON will be too close to the sun to view with any luck.

rockethead26
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/21/09

Loc: Arizona, USA
      #6209133 - 11/22/13 10:40 AM

Same here. I just bought my C80ED to make it easy to get up early and enjoy the nice conjunction going on in the dawn sky over the next couple of days and it's been rainsoaked here since the day after it arrived. I should have known better.

Edward E
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Comet ISON_Please...What am I seeing?? new [Re: rockethead26]
      #6209152 - 11/22/13 10:48 AM

Quote:

Same here. I just bought my C80ED to make it easy to get up early and enjoy the nice conjunction going on in the dawn sky over the next couple of days and it's been rainsoaked here since the day after it arrived. I should have known better.

Same here; clouds and much needed rain is expect though the weekend.

raptor1956

Reged: 10/17/13

Loc: SLC, Utah, USA
      #6209419 - 11/22/13 01:08 PM

Sadly, I've had rainy/cloudy weather for the last week and I live in the high desert of Utah. I may have a shot at clear skies tomorrow morning but Ison may be just too close to the Sun by then.

I think the odds of Ison surviving it's trip around the Sun is pretty low -- the "wings" that have been reported are likely a sign that it has already begun to break up.

I do hope I'm wrong and it survives and even if it breaks up if there are enough big pieces left we could have a great show in December.

Brian

iverp

Reged: 04/16/10

Re: Comet ISON_Please...What am I seeing?? new [Re: raptor1956]
      #6209482 - 11/22/13 01:33 PM

I went out the morning of Nov. 22 to look for comets Lovejoy and ISON.

The sky was generally clear, Clear Sky Clock says transparency was excellent 5/5. We are under a orange/red sky on the light pollution map. The waning gibbous Moon also gave some interference.

Using the chart provided by Sky and Telescope, I was able to find Comet Lovejoy by scanning to the right of the Big Dipper with 7x35 binoculars. At 5:45 AM CST it was quite diffuse, and I did not notice any central condensation.

ISON was easier to find once Mercury had risen. At 6:10 AM CDT, placing Mercury on the left edge of the field of view in the 7x35s put Comet ISON near the center of the field. ISON was a fuzzy patch, appearing smaller and less obvious in the brightening dawn than Lovejoy was in the darker sky.

The temperature was +1F, so I did not attempt to set up a scope and computer to take photos.

Brookings, South Dakota

SpaceConqueror3

Reged: 09/19/13

Loc: Phinney Ridge, Seattle, WA
Re: Comet ISON_Please...What am I seeing?? new [Re: bbbriggs]
      #6209784 - 11/22/13 04:13 PM

Quote:

Well having a clear morning in the Northwest I got up at 5:00 am got out my Sky and Telescope finder chart and started looking. I easily found Mercury and started looking around a little to the right with my 16 x 70 binos and could not find anything. Got motivated to pull out the big gun and set the 20 x 110's up on a tripod. Lo and behold a faint barely visible smudge a degree or so to the right of Mercury. Looked at it for a while in the 20 degree cold then the sky got too bright to see it. Now that I know where to look I will be checking it out if it is clear. Hopefully after it goes around the sun it will brighten up a bit. Not exactly the comet of the century but I was glad to have seen it.

Man I was really struggling to find it the last two mornings. But I was just glad to have the opportunity as we don't get too many clear days this time of year. But being just 3-4 miles from the center of downtown, the viewing conditions aren't optimal by any means but I've seen plenty of comets while in the city limits. Like you, I was scanning with my ST80 (@ 13X, 22X) in the region you describe but frustratingly I couldn't pick it up either morning. I viewed it at my cabin in my XT10 last weekend, so I was prepared to be looking for a little target. If it's clear again tomorrow morning, I may give it one more go. But Comet Lovejoy on the other hand was exceptionally easy to find these last two mornings and to date it's the more impressive of the two by far. But we'll see what happens when ISON whips around the Sun this coming week or so. Hopefully we'll get lucky here and have so more clear skies then too.

Ed Holland
Pooh-Bah

Re: Comet ISON_Please...What am I seeing?? new [Re: SpaceConqueror3]
      #6209851 - 11/22/13 04:46 PM

The dogs, startled by coyotes woke me at ~5:45 this morning, and a quick check revealed a clear sky. No amount of carefull scanning (7x50 binos) was sufficient to locate ISON. I think it should have been within reach, but there are some nearby trees etc. that could have obstructed the view. Or, equally possible, there was to much ambient light.

I may try again tomorrow.

Ed

lintonius
sage

Re: Comet ISON_Please...What am I seeing?? new [Re: raptor1956]
      #6210362 - 11/22/13 10:04 PM

Quote:

Sadly, I've had rainy/cloudy weather for the last week and I live in the high desert of Utah. I may have a shot at clear skies tomorrow morning but Ison may be just too close to the Sun by then.
Brian

Good luck with that, Brian!
It's been snowing all day here (west of Capitol Reef - 6850') and NOAA is forecasting 100% chance of it continuing into Sunday. I caught a look at Ison just after she brightened, but it was in twilight then. And I've been fighting the moonlight ever since. Now this!
Monday looks clear though, and I've got great horizons, so we'll see....
Linton

BrooksObs
professor emeritus

Re: Comet ISON_Please...What am I seeing?? new [Re: lintonius]
      #6210937 - 11/23/13 09:47 AM

No luck with ISON using a 120mm RFT refractor this a.m. in rather bright twilight. Definitely fainter than magnitude +2.

BrooksObs

rnc39560
Pooh-Bah

#6210938 - 11/23/13 09:47 AM

@Edward- I thought it was hilarious and quite original. Lol...

Edited by rnc39560 (11/23/13 09:49 AM)

krp
Vendor. DarkSiteFinder.com

Reged: 11/10/10

Loc: Central Illinois
Re: Comet ISON_Please...What am I seeing?? new [Re: rnc39560]
      #6211539 - 11/23/13 02:30 PM

I was hoping to go out to see it this morning, but there were too many clouds in the east so I stayed in bed. I need to start planning where I'm going to go in December to get the best pictures. I think it will be hard to avoid the moon when ISON is at it's best. The morning of the 14th the Geminid meteor shower will be active which could present an awesome photo opportunity along with the comet. But the nearly full moon won't set until 1 hour before astronomical twilight begins.

MEE

Reged: 07/10/10

Re: Comet ISON_Please...What am I seeing?? new [Re: krp]
      #6212237 - 11/23/13 09:39 PM

"I think it will be hard to avoid the moon when ISON is at it's best."

Wait-- I thought ISON was supposed to be at its best (visually) in the predawn sky from Dec 6-14 (Dec 6-8 in deep twilight; Dec 9-14 in a darker sky). The moon is not a factor during those times.

Did I miss something?

And re: the 14th: I originally had a plan to go see the Geminids and ISON but now I'm a little worried that even if the comet does do well, that by the 14th it will have faded too much. I hope I'm wrong, of course!

Illinois
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Comet ISON_Please...What am I seeing?? new [Re: krp]
      #6212723 - 11/24/13 07:42 AM

I woke up at 5:30 this morning and grabbed my 10X50 binocular. I saw Mercury and Saturn easily with my eyes at about 6 am and I used binocular to look for comet. I see fuzzy star at right of triangle Saturn and Mercury. I used my 5 inch refractor at 40 power to look at fuzzy star. Its just double star. I don't see comet. Twilight get brighter and brighter so forget it! I found out that star is Zubenelgenubi in Libra. Double star a1 and a2. The Comet suppose be little more right or right/lower of that star. I don't see it.

Edited by Illinois (11/24/13 08:02 AM)

Tony Flanders
Postmaster

#6212786 - 11/24/13 08:47 AM

I suspect that ISON is now out of grasp for visual observers -- simply too low in bright twilight. Probably still detectable by a skilled imager, I imagine.

Special Ed
Postmaster

Reged: 05/18/03

Loc: Greenbrier Co., WV 38N, 80W
      #6213063 - 11/24/13 11:38 AM

Illinois, that's a great report detailing what you saw--not what you wanted to see. It's as important to know what is not visible as what is.

Morning clouds and even snow here since the 18th so I'll be waiting with fingers crossed for ISON to round the Sun.

For those who can't wait, S&T has this how-to for catching a glimpse of the comet in daytime. I tried this with Comet McNaught but had no success--others were able to detect it. I'll try with ISON if it's clear Thanksgiving day.

BrooksObs
professor emeritus

Re: Comet ISON_Please...What am I seeing?? new [Re: Special Ed]
      #6213303 - 11/24/13 01:25 PM

Quote:

For those who can't wait, S&T has this how-to for catching a glimpse of the comet in daytime. I tried this with Comet McNaught but had no success--others were able to detect it. I'll try with ISON if it's clear Thanksgiving day.

As I posted in a different thread yesterday, I would strongly caution the average hobbyist against making any attempt to search for Comet ISON during daylight hours on Thursday, for the sake of their sight. Only those who perhaps have had considerable experience observing Venus or Mercury very near to their solar conjunctions can fully appreciate the extreme measures and care that one needs to exhibit when attempting such hazardous observations.

While many may have seen Comet McNaught in the daytime sky a few years back, ISON's situation will be totally different. When at its brightest (about magnitude -5) McNaught was at a fairly respectible elongation from the Sun. Not so in the case of ISON. It will be within a degree or so of the Sun all day on Thursday and at its actual perihelion point, around noontime to 2pm local time depending just where you are in the U.S., it will probably be no brighter than McNaught was and will be separated from the eastern limb of the Sun by only ~12'!

BrooksObs

Special Ed
Postmaster

Reged: 05/18/03

Loc: Greenbrier Co., WV 38N, 80W
      #6213495 - 11/24/13 03:27 PM

I second what BrooksObs says here--you can't be too careful observing the Sun or anywhere around it. And they say in the article, DO NOT look for ISON with a telescope or binoculars--strictly unaided eye.

penguinx64
professor emeritus

Reged: 11/12/13

Loc: Holland
Re: Comet ISON_Please... new [Re: steveward53]
      #6213514 - 11/24/13 03:34 PM

From what I read, Comet ISON should be most visible Dec 1-17. I just hope the sky is clear at least ONCE during those dates. I don't want to say I missed the 'Comet of the Century'. What would I tell my grand kids? By the way, if Comet ISON is visible during daylight hours, what would be a good filter to use? How about a Meade #8?

raptor1956

Re: Comet ISON_Please... new [Re: penguinx64]
      #6213523 - 11/24/13 03:39 PM

Quote:

From what I read, Comet ISON should be most visible Dec 1-17. I just hope the sky is clear at least ONCE during those dates. I don't want to say I missed the 'Comet of the Century'. What would I tell my grand kids? By the way, if Comet ISON is visible during daylight hours, what would be a good filter to use? How about a Meade #8?

I know what you mean -- I live in the desert southwest and can expect mostly clear skies most of the time but for more than a week it's been clouding and rainy so I've missed my chance to see Ison before perihelion. Let's just hope Ison survives so we can see it after.

Brian

seawolfe
sage

Reged: 06/26/13

Loc: N 47.11.23 W 122.20.18
Re: Comet ISON_Please... new [Re: raptor1956]
      #6214571 - 11/25/13 08:18 AM

I got a nice view of Ison Sunday morning. Got the neat triangle view of brilliant Mercury, Fuzzy yet distinguishable Saturn and off to the right and down forming that cool triangle was Ison.

From my viewing with my 20X80 binoculars, Ison was a sparkling greenish star with neat sparklers trailing after it...sort of like a 4th of July rocket.

Darenwh
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/11/06

Loc: Covington, GA
Re: Comet ISON_Please... new [Re: penguinx64]
      #6215179 - 11/25/13 01:45 PM

Quote:

By the way, if Comet ISON is visible during daylight hours, what would be a good filter to use? How about a Meade #8?

No, it sounds like your going to need a cloud filter...

I would second the earlier advice as far as waiting for it to get away from the sun. Key note, don't try to use any optical aid. No telescope or binoculars. If your going to try, block the sun with a building, not a street light, then look carefully with the naked eye only. Don't take a chance with binoculars or a telescope as the slightest mistake with the sun there could cause permanent blindness or eye problems.

Glen A W
sage

Re: Comet ISON_Please... new [Re: Darenwh]
      #6215306 - 11/25/13 02:39 PM

I have been observing comets since the 1980s. My thought on observing ISON on Thursday - I'll do it on the internet. It's too close to the Sun and it's not worth it.

Someone, somewhere, will lose their eyesight on Thursday afternoon.

Rich56

Reged: 06/02/12

Re: Comet ISON_Please... new [Re: Glen A W]
      #6218937 - 11/27/13 10:06 AM

Hate to say this but according to Sky & Telescopes ISON updates it looks like it might be breaking up as we speak...Scroll down to see Updates on this page...

http://www.skyandtelescope.com/community/skyblog/observingblog/Comet-ISON-Upd...

If this is true looks like there's going to be a lot of returning of Comet Ison hyped products back to vendors for refunds.

rdandrea
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Comet ISON_Please... new [Re: Rich56]
      #6219075 - 11/27/13 11:12 AM

Quote:

Hate to say this but according to Sky & Telescopes ISON updates it looks like it might be breaking up as we speak...Scroll down to see Updates on this page...

http://www.skyandtelescope.com/community/skyblog/observingblog/Comet-ISON-Upd...

If this is true looks like there's going to be a lot of returning of Comet Ison hyped products back to vendors for refunds.

And yet today's Spaceweather.com says it's hanging in there. It's now within view of SOHO.

http://www.spaceweather.com/archive.php?view=1&day=27&month=11&ye...

raptor1956

#6219269 - 11/27/13 12:52 PM

I'm not sure what all the complaining about the hype is all about as the scientists seem to think this comet will offer many lessons of value. I does seem it will not live up to the hype for visual observation but the science learned from a pristine comet maybe very important.

Back about a year ago when the hype first began there were indications that it would be exceedingly visible but I wonder if that wasn't a function of it being a pristine comet with lots of mass with low melting temps so that the coma visible at that time made it appear it would be massive. It would seem to me that a comet that's been around the block before would have had lost most of the more volatile matter whereas a pristine comet, like Ison, would not have lost that matter -- yet.

I fear Ison has little chance to survive it's trip to the sun and as I type this the speed is over 306,000 mph and will reach close to 800,000 mph tomorrow. In addition, if the solar energy is 1KW/m2 on earth and the inverse square law applies as it does then the heat reaching the comet at closet approach will be something like 13MW/m2 and that's not counting the acceleration and gravity forces...

Brian

Illinois
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Comet ISON_Please... new [Re: raptor1956]
      #6222983 - 11/29/13 08:54 AM

Weird to see it gone in early morning then next week it come back in early morning! Hope to see it a few more times before it gone out into space!

Edward E
scholastic sledgehammer

#6225829 - 11/30/13 07:55 PM

Well, that was fun; reading all the it's dead, no, it's alive, no wait it's dead again postings from all over the astronomical community. Last look at the SOHO loop showed a ISON that made a last hozaw as far as brightening but has faded to almost nothing. Now lets enjoy what Comet Lovejoy has been offering.

This is my last note to this post. It's been lots of fun and the biggest # of reads ever for me. Thanks for all your inputs and thoughts, this is what makes Cloudy Night such a great website!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | (show all)

Extra information
2 registered and 9 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  cildarith, panhard, tecmage 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 8618

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics