Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

General Astronomy >> General Observing and Astronomy

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
BrooksObs
professor emeritus

Reged: 12/08/12

Re: ALERT! bright object moving new [Re: T1R2]
      #6186238 - 11/10/13 10:21 AM

Quote:

Well I see your pretty good at telling people what it "IS NOT", just like on another thread! how about being useful and help narrow down what it was, seeing that was intent of the post, What about the Russian meteor! didn't that just come outa nowhere! even with all these detection systems and solar AP'ers out there! I'll never be gullible enough to believe that we know everything that's out there on any givin sunday!

A response as to what it is not is about all that can be offered with certainty in situations such as this and most others not easily or immediately linked to the ISS, an Iridium satellite, or something similar.

What about the Russian meteorite? So what about it? It was a mere 40-odd feet in diameter. Outside the Earth's atmosphere it would have appeared as a minute speck telescopically and vastly fainter than any nakedeye star, even just an hour or two before the encounter. Within the atmosphere it would become a brilliant object reported by thousands.

People are forever seeing "bright moving objects" in the skies these days. But virtually zero of them turn out to be truly celestial in nature. Nearly all can be accounted for by aircraft of some sort, or satellites. Unless an OP can can offer a rather detailed account, together with his location and time, and also eliminate the possibility of aircraft being involved, then it will be far easier to define what an object is not, rather than to say for sure what it was. Simply checking a satellite passage website himself, the observer can confirm, or eliminate, satellites and that leaves only aircraft..like it or not.

BrooksObs

Edited by BrooksObs (11/10/13 10:25 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
brentwood
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/04/05

Loc: BC Canada
Re: ALERT! bright object moving new [Re: Qwickdraw]
      #6186599 - 11/10/13 01:12 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Another example of why we should all have our approximate location showing in our profile.

This is because there is not already enough personal info about me on the internet?

No, because it can in some instances, help others to respond to your posts. I've seen many examples where I could have added to the conversation but didn't as my response may not have been applicable depending on where the poster was located. If you think that adding 'Central USA', 'Southern England' or 'West Africa' is too revealing then don't.

T1R2
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 06/11/13

Loc: NeverWhere
Re: ALERT! bright object moving new [Re: Cotts]
      #6187335 - 11/10/13 06:55 PM

when I said some close, some far, I was going by my assumption that a lot of space rocks, move fast, 20-40k mph, I've seen sats in my ep and they usually move across my med power FOV (1.7*)in 1-3sec. I've seen objects in my scope along the ecliptic that literally take up to 5min in the fov. and would not have been noticed if my eye was not glued to the ep. if those are moving 20-40K mph, then their very far away and so that is my reference. Is my assumption wrong in this? and my 1*sec was concervative it may very well have been .5* sec, I watched it for at least 10 min, maybe longer from the horizon to directly on the meridian, then it went behind some trees it took at least another 10 or more min to get to the other horizon, the Chelyabinsk meteor was in our atmosphere, that's why it covered 150* in 5sec. this was not, it didn't burn up, it remained for the most time a Yellow-ish, Jupiter magnitude object moving at .5 to 1* sec. I was more than happy to think it was a sat. but there were no sats in the area, maybe it was a flying turkey with a floodlight pointed at me, it couldn't have been anything else.

EJN
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/01/05

Loc: 53 miles west of Venus
      #6187406 - 11/10/13 07:44 PM

Quote:

Well I see your pretty good at telling people what it "IS NOT", just like on another thread! how about being useful and help narrow down what it was, seeing that was intent of the post, What about the Russian meteor! didn't that just come outa nowhere! even with all these detection systems and solar AP'ers out there! I'll never be gullible enough to believe that we know everything that's out there on any givin sunday!

Uh, are you aware that BrooksObs has 50+ years experience in amateur astronomy, wrote a monthly
column for an astronomy magazine for ~20 years, and generally has more knowledge that any
dozen typical members here combined?

I live 10 miles from O'Hare International airport, and 2 miles from a general aviation airport
and constantly see all sorts of weird lights in the sky. An airplane almost moving directly away
from you can look very slow moving. Binoculars quickly reveal whether it is an airplane or a
satellite or space debris; those don't have strobes or red lights. Also a high altitude weather
balloon can look extremely bright, and nearly stationary.

T1R2
Pooh-Bah

Re: ALERT! bright object moving new [Re: EJN]
      #6187434 - 11/10/13 07:58 PM

Um, are you aware that I don't care, I'm not an idiot, I know the dif, between a plane and a weather balloon(in AR?), it was not stationary, it was mag -2.5, and moving .5-1* sec. e to w near the ecliptic

T1R2
Pooh-Bah

#6187559 - 11/10/13 09:13 PM

Moderator could you please lock the thread, its becoming to snippy and opinionated, I've got enough info to draw my own conclusion that it was a satellite, and I am guilty of "baiting" on a few posts myself, sorry form the inconvenience.

panhardModerator
It's All Good

Reged: 01/20/08

Loc: Markham Ontario Canada
      #6187655 - 11/10/13 10:05 PM

Lets keep this thread civil. Here is quote from the tos.
Quote:

* Play Nice
* Be Polite
* Be Honest
* Respect other members & the administrators and moderators who are working to keep this board a useful resource.

bwirth1999

Reged: 12/13/12

Loc: Belvidere, IL
Re: ALERT! bright object moving new [Re: Cotts]
      #6188279 - 11/11/13 10:14 AM

I have seen many objects like this. You can clearly see it is tumbling. Though not nearly as bright as you say it was, as it was too small or too faint to see naked eye. One night I was trying to get Sombrero Galaxy to show, and about 5 minutes into it, I see this tiny looking object floating VERY slowly through the field. You could see it tumbling as I would get irregular flashes of light, a bit brighter than most of the stars which were visible. I have an f/5 scope at around 60x magnification at the time of seeing this thing. I probably took 5 minutes or so to cross the field of view, all while flashing at me.
After wards I pulled up any and all info on satellites and known objects and found nothing. I chalked it up to random space debris. But still not so sure. I would estimate it was traveling from NW to S SE...

This is why we all need some sort of video camera plugged in at all times..

bandhunter

Reged: 12/01/09

Loc: North Carolina
Re: ALERT! bright object moving new [Re: bwirth1999]
      #6188437 - 11/11/13 11:47 AM

Saw an object this morning, similar to brightness between the magnitudes of Mars and jupiter (currently) moving from SW to NE just after 5 am. This objects brightness did not flare but was consistent until it was near the horizon, and though it was dimmer it could be seen to the horizon. I followed it with 28mm SW eye piece in the WO for 15 seconds or so and it had a stellar appearance. It appeared orange in color and was moving a little slower than other satellites I've seen through an eyepiece. Looked at some satellite paths/predictions and none come close to moving in that particular direction. There are all kinds of things out there. Can most be explained? sure but the unknown is exciting.

Steve OK
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 09/22/07

Loc: OKC, OK
Re: ALERT! bright object moving new [Re: bandhunter]
      #6188664 - 11/11/13 01:40 PM

I checked Heavens Above website, and they show an ISS pass for you just after 5:00 AM, low in the SE sky. For your location, I entered "North Carolina". That might be what you saw.

Steve

Edited by Steve OK (11/11/13 01:42 PM)

choran
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 12/28/12

Re: ALERT! bright object moving new [Re: Steve OK]
      #6188974 - 11/11/13 04:29 PM

I saw the ISS at -3.3 magnitude at 5:15 this AM in Southern California.
In my neck of the woods it travelled SSW to NNE, as I recall. Very nice! I got up early just to see it. Also tried to see (but failed) a pair that travels together, 229DEB and companion, but sky was a bit too bright by then.
One will be crashing some time in December, so I want to get a last look while they are still flying in tandem. They are my favorites.

bandhunter

Reged: 12/01/09

Loc: North Carolina
Re: ALERT! bright object moving new [Re: choran]
      #6190071 - 11/12/13 07:15 AM

Thanks Steve. I think your right. I just thought if it was the space station it would have looked more irregular in the scope, at least a hint. I saw the station on another occasion and it was closer to zenith. The views were similar however so another object identified. I'm going to have to use that heavens above site.

Steve OK
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 09/22/07

Loc: OKC, OK
Re: ALERT! bright object moving new [Re: bandhunter]
      #6190889 - 11/12/13 03:05 PM

When the ISS is near the zenith, it is about 260 miles away. When it is closer to the horizon, it is alot farther. Looking at the CalSky website (another good reference for ISS sighting, including lunar and solar transits) when the ISS is only 1.7° above the horizon, it is about 1400 miles away. You didn't say (or I missed it) how high up it was when you observed it, but it could have been too far away to see much detail.

Steve

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
15 registered and 23 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  cildarith, panhard, tecmage 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1367

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics